New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
May 7, 2019 8:47 AM
May 2016
UncleMion said:
Nerdanimefan1992 said:

Why would guys watch garbage shoujo series
When the ecchi genre exists

Maybe cause they want pure girls instead of whores.

Slow Clap for the slut shaming.......
May 7, 2019 10:48 AM

Aug 2018
I know a lot of people here are saying something similar and this will probably get buried but I only care about the quality of shows, not the superficial target demographic. Cardcaptor Sakura, Kare Kano, Ouran Highschool Host Club, Princess Tutu and Revolutionary Girl Utena are among the most entertaining and/or technically brilliant shows I've ever seen so why would I care that they are "supposed" to appeal to girls more?

Honestly I did use to avoid Shoujo but since I started giving it a chance I've found a lot to love and I don't see how a die-hard anime fan can go their whole life without trying at least one... Too many great ones to ignore.
BebopHakushoMay 7, 2019 3:22 PM
May 10, 2019 2:36 AM
Feb 2019
Great story ,interesting characters
May 10, 2019 4:13 AM

Apr 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I plan on watching Fruits Basket because of Ritsuko Okazaki's music, which is absolutely heavenly.
The music in it is awesome. Definitely recommend.
May 10, 2019 4:15 AM

Apr 2017
deg said:
its 2019 and homophobia as well as toxic masculinity are still a thing as proven by this thread
You are on an anime forum, you shouldn’t expect anything less lmao.
May 10, 2019 4:42 AM

Oct 2018
is there any example of shoujo anime?
May 10, 2019 4:54 AM

Dec 2015
I generally prefer shoujo over shounen and seinen nowadays because I'm a sucker for melodrama and shoujo has that in spades. Also it's 2019 so people are allowed to watch anything they want.
May 10, 2019 4:07 PM

May 2018
Stoorainclaire said:

Those tagged as shoujo...but the term means a wide variety of shows so random examples wouldn't show their potential.
Take notice that many people here describe them as "sugary" but this is not always the case and it's not very characteristic.

Maybe you want some recommendations?
alshuMay 11, 2019 3:15 AM
May 10, 2019 4:52 PM

Oct 2018
alshu said:
Stoorainclaire said:

Those tagged as shoujo...but the term means I wide variety of shows so random examples wouldn't show their potential.
Take notice that many people here describe them as "sugary" but this is not always the case and it's not very characteristic.

I'm good, It just I'm still confused to be honest. just recently I posted about k-on and they said k-on it's not shoujo but my friend told me that it is. Does it wonder why Natsume yuujinchou is not shounen? I thought at first shoujo genre define when the lead mc is female.
May 10, 2019 7:39 PM

Jul 2016
I watch shoujo, cuz the dramas are usually important to the development of the characters and not thrown on the trash and forgotten like most shounens do, and usually more realistic as well. The characters are more alive and unpredictable. And the male characters actually care for romance unlike most shounens that they hold it until the last episode.
Of course there are some exception on both cases, like Detective Conan that the author is shipping every character of the anime :P.

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

May 10, 2019 9:25 PM

Dec 2015
Stoorainclaire said:
alshu said:

Those tagged as shoujo...but the term means I wide variety of shows so random examples wouldn't show their potential.

I'm good, It just I'm still confused to be honest. just recently I posted about k-on and they said k-on it's not shoujo but my friend told me that it is. Does it wonder why Natsume yuujinchou is not shounen? I thought at first shoujo genre define when the lead mc is female.

A story is shoujo when the original manga was published in a shoujo magazine. Examples of those magazines are Margaret, Ribon, Nakayoshi and Hana to Yume. K-On! was published in Manga Time Kirara which is a seinen magazine and the reason why Natsume Yuujinchou is labeled as a shoujo instead of a shounen is because over time it was published in two magazines, both being shoujo. The gender of the protagonist or even the genre doesn't matter. For example Ore Monogatari is a shoujo despite its protagonist being male and Ghost Hunt is a horror shoujo.

All of this also means that an anime can't be a shoujo, shounen, seinen or josei unless the story was a manga before turning into an anime. This means novels, video games and plays could never be labeled as one of those demographics unless someone adapted them into a manga and anime originals are out without exceptions. You can still say that the latter technically is one of them if manga adaptation happens but it's only that.
May 10, 2019 9:50 PM

Aug 2016
Why do I ? Mhm.. must there be a reason for it?
~ just found a liking for them, not more
May 11, 2019 12:45 AM

Jan 2009
Aslat24 said:
deg said:
its 2019 and homophobia as well as toxic masculinity are still a thing as proven by this thread

ye true lol although that comment of mine is not that serious, i was shitposting there when i saw the comment above that reply of mine

i only seen classic shoujo anime like Sailormoon and Fushigi Yuugi and was planning to watch Heartcatch Precure now for ages (still waiting to have a chance to download 20GB torrent of it)
May 11, 2019 1:53 AM

Jun 2016
Shoujo tends to be much, much better written than Shonen.
May 11, 2019 3:29 AM

May 2018
holysauron said:
Stoorainclaire said:

A story is shoujo when the original manga was published in a shoujo magazine. Examples of those magazines are Margaret, Ribon, Nakayoshi and Hana to Yume. K-On! was published in Manga Time Kirara which is a seinen magazine and the reason why Natsume Yuujinchou is labeled as a shoujo instead of a shounen is because over time it was published in two magazines, both being shoujo. The gender of the protagonist or even the genre doesn't matter. For example Ore Monogatari is a shoujo despite its protagonist being male and Ghost Hunt is a horror shoujo.

+1

holysauron said:
All of this also means that an anime can't be a shoujo, shounen, seinen or josei unless the story was a manga before turning into an anime. This means novels, video games and plays could never be labeled as one of those demographics unless someone adapted them into a manga and anime originals are out without exceptions. You can still say that the latter technically is one of them if manga adaptation happens but it's only that.

Nope.
There are pretty much obvious original anime titles, books and games (ever heard of otome games?) which are targeted to girls.
Also with a little bit of experience you can easily identify the target auditorium.
For example it was obvious to me that K-On wasn't shoujo (I thought it was shounen tho) and that Natsume was one, without looking at the tags.

But I admit sometimes there are hard to identify titles like - Otome Youkai Zakuro (it's seinen) and Mushishi gives me very strong josei vibes but it's seinen.
May 11, 2019 6:51 AM

Dec 2015
alshu said:
holysauron said:

+1

holysauron said:

Nope.
There are pretty much obvious original anime titles, books and games (ever heard of otome games?) which are targeted to girls.
Also with a little bit of experience you can easily identify the target auditorium.
For example it was obvious to me that K-On wasn't shoujo (I thought it was shounen tho) and that Natsume was one, without looking at the tags.

But I admit sometimes there are hard to identify titles like - Otome Youkai Zakuro (it's seinen) and Mushishi gives me very strong josei vibes but it's seinen.

Of course there are different demographics outside of manga and there will probably be differences between them. I'm just sceptical on whether the manga demographics can be used for original anime and such. I'm not an expert on the subject either so if you can I stand corrected.
May 11, 2019 6:58 AM
Jul 2018
Yes, and it is usually my first choice when I am looking for some romantic vibes, in anime/manga at least.

Most shounen slice of life/romance anime and manga are filled with perfect women with a waist that you could fit in between the prongs of a fork, usually accompanied by a duo of breasts that are as large as the earth's orbit.

As much as I like my anime characters to look attractive there must be a limit to their absurdity. So looking for Shojou's gives me a greater chance that I will find an anime with good writing and semi-realistic (proportioned) characters.
removed-userMay 11, 2019 7:07 AM
May 12, 2019 4:41 AM

Jul 2016
maybe because they want to feel warm and fluffy inside? idk no genre should be restricted by one's gender.
regardless of character tropes or how typical a type may seem, people like whatever they like. maybe they're
just in the mood for something a little different or they just genuinely enjoy what shoujo provides.

grouper - no other

0:00 ●━━━━━━─────── 3:46

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ◁ㅤㅤ❚❚ㅤㅤ▷ㅤㅤㅤㅤ↻

⁞⁞⁞ purple cause baal is my wife  ⁞⁞⁞
May 13, 2019 3:30 AM

Jan 2019
Shoujo is a good genre to relax and isn't always the same.
May 13, 2019 5:37 PM
May 2019
Because sometimes, we all need some fluffy shoujo-esque romance in our lives.
May 13, 2019 6:03 PM

Feb 2016
Jake said:
It’s not just for girls. Especially in this era where men are more accepting of their love for their own feminine qualities and traits, it’s not that odd at all. That’s not downplaying the fact that in the past, some men would be feminine regardless of the social norms at the time; it’s just more prominent and popular than it was before. Also, some guys are gay and just want some of that hot reverse harem dick
I throughly enjoyed Ouran High School Host Club(10) and Kiss Him, Not Me(7) Both of those were great reverse harems. I'm straight by the way. Reason for giving Kiss Him, Not Me a 7 was a huge focus on BL but without the BL there's no MC
Aslat24 said:
deg said:
Everyone is a tough guy online.

Back to the topic question
Like Jake said, "it's not just for girls" it's just target demographic. I was raised in a household where the man was supposed to provide for the family. I've worked in multiple trades known for being a man's job: construction, carpentry, etc. Fast forward to adulthood and my longest relationship(4 years) was with someone who could be considered my "suger momma." In all honesty, that was one of the most ideal situations I've ever been in. Probably why I like shoujo "something men shouldn't be into."
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» What's the worst anime year? ( 1 2 3 )

Hira1 - Nov 26, 2020

112 by Serafos »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

17 by juanlqr »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

86 by Toooooooooohru »»
3 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

32 by BatoKusanagi »»
11 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 13 minutes ago

0 by VeryRedBags »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.