Forum Settings
Forums
Apr 15, 1:37 PM
DB Administrator
Faerie Queen

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 5095
@luinthoron @Biggus It's not just about moving everything with a Novel tag into a separate DB. That's the easy part. Nearly every page on the website would need to be edited and/or re-designed. Completely random list off the top of my head (and non-exhaustive):
- the header menu
- the quick add page
- list settings
- profile anime/manga list buttons
- profile stats/updates
- recent history page
- favourites on the profile
- updating favourites
- how anime/manga pages link together (adaptations)
- the review index page(s)
- the recs index page(s)
- rankings
- character pages
- editing character pages
- the character index page design
- club pages
- the forum index
- new subforums
... etc.

It's not "just" adding a list + DB. It would touch almost every page and aspect of the site.

Whereas I think better filter options on the list and the database, plus better statistics, could achieve similar end results without needing to redesign almost every page on the website.



Open Staff Apps  
Guidelines & FAQ  
Report Abuse  
Listen ♪  

Thanks to 
AnimeboyAnubhab
 
 
Apr 15, 1:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 2197
Ah, true, while I did realize the impact on some of these pages afterwards, there's certainly a lot more to it that it seems at first. Might still be a good idea to do this, especially now before the database starts growing even more, but it's understandable if it's not feasible as well.

As for differentiating between the manga and novels, an idea would probably be to bring back the "(Novel)" designation after the name to the novel pages, and add it to the lists as well, in addition to the existing "Publishing" note there.
 
Apr 15, 1:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 524
Kineta said:
@luinthoron @Biggus It's not just about moving everything with a Novel tag into a separate DB. That's the easy part. Nearly every page on the website would need to be edited and/or re-designed. Completely random list off the top of my head (and non-exhaustive):
- the header menu
- the quick add page
- list settings
- profile anime/manga list buttons
- profile stats/updates
- recent history page
- favourites on the profile
- updating favourites
- how anime/manga pages link together (adaptations)
- the review index page(s)
- the recs index page(s)
- rankings
- character pages
- editing character pages
- the character index page design
- club pages
- the forum index
- new subforums
... etc.

It's not "just" adding a list + DB. It would touch almost every page and aspect of the site.

Whereas I think better filter options on the list and the database, plus better statistics, could achieve similar end results without needing to redesign almost every page on the website.


Like I said I am not a website designer so I don't know all the backend of what it would effect. I normally just create the DB then others implement that sort of thing.

I do see that it is a very large undertaking, but even so I do think it is a think the staff should significantly discuss. I love MAL I truly do I have used it religiously for 8 years but like a ton of others, if a site opens up that has a LN list I would probably be migrating over to it.

I know you probably understand the popularity boom of LN's in the past year or so but I can't hesitate enough that MAL needs to differentiate itself soon. MAL was a powerhouse in the anime lists back in the day. I think the filter and statistics fix is a step in the right direction, but again I think adding a LN list would pull a lot of people who left for other sites back, but thats just my two cents.

I know that is asking a lot and that is the direction I hope MAL takes, but I understand the large scale nature of the task now that you pointed out what it would affect. But I do believe you would have more than enough volunteers to at least do data entry and rearranging on the surface if given the opportunity. I have 8 hours a day I stare at a screen doing some work and not some work, where I could do data entry. I am sure there are others like me.

If that is too much can we add a LN list inside the already created manga list? One where the user has to personally populate or automatically done, where it allows us to pull the LN's from the manga and bring them down to this list. Creating a form of sub list. Allowing us to move it above or below the manga list etc. It would still technically be a part of the manga list but would allow us to populate it correctly ourselves. This would obviously require DB work.

Either way I am happy you guys are branching out with the Manga/LN DB.
 
Apr 15, 3:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3509
Kineta said:
@luinthoron @Biggus It's not just about moving everything with a Novel tag into a separate DB. That's the easy part. Nearly every page on the website would need to be edited and/or re-designed. Completely random list off the top of my head (and non-exhaustive):
- the header menu
- the quick add page
- list settings
- profile anime/manga list buttons
- profile stats/updates
- recent history page
- favourites on the profile
- updating favourites
- how anime/manga pages link together (adaptations)
- the review index page(s)
- the recs index page(s)
- rankings
- character pages
- editing character pages
- the character index page design
- club pages
- the forum index
- new subforums
... etc.

It's not "just" adding a list + DB. It would touch almost every page and aspect of the site.

Whereas I think better filter options on the list and the database, plus better statistics, could achieve similar end results without needing to redesign almost every page on the website.


Well, let me say this. That's not entirely true. I don't know how spaghetti the code is for MAL but let's go with the worst case. We have entirely different page designs for different types such as manga and anime. The entire left side is the same for every type so skipping that. As for the right side, half of the parts you mentioned are just creating similar DB Queries for this new LN type. For example; the quick add page, favourites on the profile, character pages etc. You just have to write similar PHP codes. For front-end of the spectrum, mostly everything will be same but there will be new parts such as the header menu. I am %100 this site uses pure HTML and CSS for FE so creating one for LN type is just not a concern. I am pretty sure you can find a freelancer to do every unique page to LN for like 100 buck in one week at worst. I am not kidding about this part.

In the end, I am mostly and ironically concerned about the DB itself. Moving the entries and discussions would be the worst and hardest part of this task. Anyways, I learned to stop suggesting code changes so I am not saying someone should do it, however let's not make it a big deal than it is.

Also, I have a question so this is a good opportunity to ask.

- In I.2.8 there is this "print by a reputable publishing company in the country of origin." part. I find it vague. How do we draw the line for this "reputable publishing company"?



Newest Top List: Go-Toubun no Hanayome

Blood for the blood gods, fluff for the fluff throne.


 
Apr 15, 10:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 5763
rokxx said:
What about French manga? It's a really prominent scene, Radiant for example.


What about japanese authors who work for french publishers?
 
Apr 16, 2:06 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
If you already added korean webtoons such as Lookism, Noblesse and Bastard how about you finally add Tower of God.
Just my 2 cents.
 
Apr 16, 4:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 236
Is there any way we can get notified when a manga is approved? I have a few mangas in my notes waiting to be added and would like to know when I can.

Thanks!

My anime review website: https://www.takanodan.net
 
Apr 16, 5:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 2197
Speaking of notifications, we really need some for one-shots being consolidated into collections; too often I've found a collection listed as finished with 1 read chapter on my list due to this.
 
Apr 16, 12:24 PM
I love stuff...

Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 683
Kineta said:
/first post
That's great, but what is the point when svaax is messing with everyone's submissions?

Also, from what I remember majority of new mods (forum/anime/manga) are only active first two months, or so, and then they don't care anymore.
 
Apr 17, 1:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 79
I just want to say huge thanks for this site, even when MAL is its worst it's still better than anything else out there, always has been. There are some rules that are not optimal, but I'm consistently convinced by: either arguments for not changing it, or arguments for it not being too urgent or important.

I especially want to thank Kineta for answering a lot of the questions in this thread, that direct communication with the users is vital and crucial.

Rei366 said:
rokxx said:
What about French manga? It's a really prominent scene, Radiant for example.
What about japanese authors who work for french publishers?
I think it has to be that MAL want the work to be published in Japan for the Japanese audience.

champagnepapi said:
If you already added korean webtoons such as Lookism, Noblesse and Bastard how about you finally add Tower of God.
Just my 2 cents.
When webtoons get official publications they are elighible for MAL. If I recall correctly Tower of God is still only published online on an unoffical site. Something like that.

luinthoron said:
Speaking of notifications, we really need some for one-shots being consolidated into collections; too often I've found a collection listed as finished with 1 read chapter on my list due to this.
THIS! So much this!!

Mod Edit: Merged double posts.
Modified by Kineta, Apr 18, 2:47 PM
"He isn't dead, San. He is here with us now, telling us, it's time for both of us to live."
"And slowly... You come to realize..."
"They come without asking, and then they leave just the same.
But once you meet them, even if nobody ever knows it, that encounter will change your life for the better."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYzMYcUty6s
 
Apr 17, 6:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 4521
@Kineta Regarding webtoons, would items from Samanhua or Yizhou Manhua be allowed? They are both magazines where some chinese web comics were first serialized. As far as I am aware, Yizhou is now defunct.


They're fully colored and each page has 4 pages of the comic.

Title from examples: http://m.kuaikanmanhua.com/mobile/1859/list

I believe all the titles have print, it just requires harder searching. Yes, I am still salty about that faux anime mod that rejecting my entry because it's a webtoon, when I submitted it when I found the print.
Modified by Maora, Apr 17, 7:00 PM
 
Apr 18, 1:40 AM
BL connoisseur

Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1190


What's the point tho? Multiple users have complained about Manga+character entries being put on hold for years bc your staff can't be arsed to accept or reject entries. Nor can you people be bothered to add new mods who actually login frequently and do their volunteer work (but y'all still got the time for putting up MAL games or whatever these new layouts and threads are called).
Hell, one manga mod hasn't logged in for over half a year and she's still a mod.

Give me a reason better than "they're busy with irl stuff" and I'll listen to what you people have to say. Especially considering the fact that there's no scarcity of people (aka potential mods) on an anime website who don't have much of a life. The same goes for your anime DB mods - character entries are denied pretty quickly, but you're lucky if your modified (aka correct) entries will be accepted within one year.

Your mods are always too busy to do the jobs they volunteered for, but never too busy to chit-chat with friends through their profile comments, or their Discord accounts. What a sham.
Modified by Sonal1988, Apr 18, 1:46 AM
 
Apr 18, 7:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Aegidrom said:

champagnepapi said:
If you already added korean webtoons such as Lookism, Noblesse and Bastard how about you finally add Tower of God.
Just my 2 cents.
When webtoons get official publications they are elighible for MAL. If I recall correctly Tower of God is still only published online on an unoffical site. Something like that.


Huh? What unofficial site do you refer to? As far as I know the webtoons I mentioned and Tower of God are both officially published on Naver. Heck, the majority of the popular webtoons or "Manhwas" on this site are licensed by and published on Naver. Are the mods biased or just lazy?

Here are some links. Lookism is published on Naver. And the popular Bastard and Noblesse. And here is Tower of God.

I'll probably just create a page for Tower of God if I find the submission form.
 
Apr 18, 9:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 260
@champagnepapi What that person meant is that webtoons have to be published in print in their native market to be added to the database (you can check sections I.2 and I.3.1 in the new DB guidelines for the whole explanation, which uses the term "reputable" rather than "official"). The first 3 webtoons you mentioned have print releases in Korea, while Tower of God does not. It is a long-standing point of heated contention for webtoon reading users, so I suppose the answer to your question is "The admins are biased" (against webtons as a whole).
 
Apr 18, 3:04 PM
DB Administrator
Faerie Queen

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 5095
@Biggus Thank you for your ideas. I hope we'll be able to discuss the LN aspect of the site more in the future. For the moment, I'd like to focus on our hiring process and detailing the upgrades our 10+ year old moderation tools severely need. If we can continue discussing more after these are further to completion, that'd be great.

sasalx said:
- In I.2.8 there is this "print by a reputable publishing company in the country of origin." part. I find it vague. How do we draw the line for this "reputable publishing company"?
Definition of reputable publishing company is a bit higher up:
> Professionally
> Reputable publishing companies are those known for publishing works in printed, bound volumes for their respective country's market.

dipperdolphin said:
Is there any way we can get notified when a manga is approved? I have a few mangas in my notes waiting to be added and would like to know when I can.
luinthoron said:
Speaking of notifications, we really need some for one-shots being consolidated into collections; too often I've found a collection listed as finished with 1 read chapter on my list due to this.
These are both things the mod team has hoped for since notifs were added, and are things I'd like to bring up with Media Do as part of "improving moderation administrative tools to improve mod-mod and mod-user communication". As I said above, the list is just unfortunately very long due to 10+ years of minimal-to-no updates on the mod tool back end.

In the meantime, @mickal777 (I think?) has been updating this thread as entries are approved to help users with our backlog.

Maora said:
@Kineta Regarding webtoons, would items from Samanhua or Yizhou Manhua be allowed? They are both magazines where some chinese web comics were first serialized. As far as I am aware, Yizhou is now defunct.
[...]
I believe all the titles have print, it just requires harder searching.
Unfortunately, I can't research it myself right now. But if the magazines were printed (which they seem to be based on the bar codes) and they were owned by a publishing house, then that is considered "printed". If they are digital-only magazines only sold on e-retailers and the series were not released in print then they would not be allowed.

The more information you can provide us when you submit, the (a) faster we can process your submission and (b) the higher the chance it will be approved. I understand that it feels bad when an entry is denied when you know it should be accepted. We just need to double-check all information we receive, and the harder to find information takes longer. At some point, we need to stop looking and make a decision so that we can move on to processing the next entry. Japanese is the easiest for us to process because many of our team members know at least some Japanese (and many of our manga moderators read in Japanese). Korean and Chinese are more difficult. So we truly appreciate when users link all sources for their submissions when they submit them :pray:

champagnepapi said:
As far as I know the webtoons I mentioned and Tower of God are both officially published on Naver.
Naver is not a publisher, it is a web portal. Naver is comparable to Yahoo!, not a publishing company like Penguin Random House.

This post and this post may help explain it better.
Modified by Kineta, Apr 18, 3:13 PM



Open Staff Apps  
Guidelines & FAQ  
Report Abuse  
Listen ♪  

Thanks to 
AnimeboyAnubhab
 
 
Apr 18, 3:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3509
@Kineta

That definition is exactly why I asked the question. So let's say I found a magazine company in Japan and released the manga X. That would be acceptable for the DB right? I was curious if the said company needs to be well known or not.



Newest Top List: Go-Toubun no Hanayome

Blood for the blood gods, fluff for the fluff throne.


 
Apr 19, 6:45 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 1
Ganbate MAL aku selalu mendukungmu ..
 
Apr 19, 8:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 4521
I forgot to post my reply. Brb killing myself.

I made a mock entry for one of the titles, Vampire Sphere. This is a Samanhua title.
https://myanimelist.net/manga/119520/Xuezu_Jinyu
(I just noticed I messed up on the volume count. It has 29 volumes.)

I did some digging and it looks like both the magazine and prints are in-person only. I literally can't find an online retailer that is directly selling these. Probably has to do with their focus on webcomics online. The there is a listing I saw from resellers that have a barcode for the comic. Really bad quality tho.

Samanhua began its run in 2009 and releases every 5th, 15th and 25th. Originally, they hosted action/adventure titles for girls. Its sister magazine, Samanyuehua (Samanlehua, or SA Comics) ran every 5th and 20th from January 2012 to December 2018 and it had more shoujo-like, romance titles. The two merged together, some titles became online only.

Website:
http://www.fengmianyu.com/

Official Weibos:
https://m.weibo.cn/samanhua?&jumpfrom=weibocom
https://m.weibo.cn/samanyuehua?&jumpfrom=weibocom

Wiki/Baidu pages:
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/飒漫画
https://baike.baidu.com/item/飒漫画
https://baike.baidu.com/item/飒漫乐画


The title that was rejected (Restraining Order of Ant) is from the same company that formerly produced Yizhou Manhua (Dazhou).

The Hero is a title that was serialized in that magazine and has online listings.
Web comic (in English): https://mangatoon.mobi/en/detail/2056
Baidu Page: https://baike.baidu.com/item/游世无双
Chinese Amazon Listing: https://www.amazon.cn/dp/B01DN1DDQA/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_zh_CN=亚马逊网站&keywords=游世无双&qid=1555029960&s=gateway&sr=8-1
Modified by Maora, Apr 19, 9:39 PM
 
Apr 19, 9:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1030
Sonal1988 said:


What's the point tho? Multiple users have complained about Manga+character entries being put on hold for years bc your staff can't be arsed to accept or reject entries. Nor can you people be bothered to add new mods who actually login frequently and do their volunteer work (but y'all still got the time for putting up MAL games or whatever these new layouts and threads are called).
Hell, one manga mod hasn't logged in for over half a year and she's still a mod.

Give me a reason better than "they're busy with irl stuff" and I'll listen to what you people have to say. Especially considering the fact that there's no scarcity of people (aka potential mods) on an anime website who don't have much of a life. The same goes for your anime DB mods - character entries are denied pretty quickly, but you're lucky if your modified (aka correct) entries will be accepted within one year.

Your mods are always too busy to do the jobs they volunteered for, but never too busy to chit-chat with friends through their profile comments, or their Discord accounts. What a sham.


I understand your frustration, but I can't see how they can do more than what they've already done - which is opening mod applications. Seeing them open mod apps has made me really hopeful for the better movement of things in the future.

I suggest turning that frustration into applying for a manga mod position. It seems to me what manga moderation needs most is people who are passionate about it. It is, after all, a volunteer position. I can understand people eventually tiring of positions with a lot of work. A volunteer position doesn't mean it is glamorous - it means that it is unpaid work.
 
Apr 19, 10:50 PM
BL connoisseur

Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1190
Claptrap said:


I understand your frustration, but I can't see how they can do more than what they've already done - which is opening mod applications. Seeing them open mod apps has made me really hopeful for the better movement of things in the future.

I suggest turning that frustration into applying for a manga mod position. It seems to me what manga moderation needs most is people who are passionate about it. It is, after all, a volunteer position. I can understand people eventually tiring of positions with a lot of work. A volunteer position doesn't mean it is glamorous - it means that it is unpaid work.


Cute of you to assume I didn't apply multiple times over the course of a year, when the mod applications were both open and closed, assuming they'd consider my application when the positions did open again in the future. And I wasn't the only one - friends, acquaintances and even random people in the forums have complained about the exact thing I'm complaining about now.
And seeing how I am part of two volunteer organizations that require a huge amount of my time and dedication, I can safely say that there are very few people on MAL who're putting as much time and effort as I am, into such activities. So believe me when I say it's not difficult to fire those who find the job tedious and hire those who are more than eager to work. For free. Especially on a website where the members run into millions.
Sounds to me you're finding excuses for the incompetent behaviour of the mods, more than anything else.
 
Apr 20, 12:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1030
@Sonal1988

I do understand there were issues in the past. I'm also frustrated. I stopped submitting edits to the database a long time ago because I felt like my contributions weren't meaningful. I just don't think there's much to criticize about the current statement or how they're choosing to move forward. I also don't think it's very meaningful to do. I think it's exciting news to work with, rather than against.

When I suggested you apply it was genuine. If you've already applied, that's good. I think people with such a passion for the database are good.

There might not be as many people putting time into MAL as you are in your areas of life. But it also sounds to me like the poster of this announcement was wrangling something big. I've done lots of volunteer work too and even if you promise to fulfill obligations life can get so hectic that mod work is hard to step back into. It's not a simple matter of just picking someone from the userbase either - when I look at the userbase, there are so many unbelievable assholes it feels like you'd have to screen.

I just think criticizing people who are doing unpaid work is unfair, regardless of what you do in your own time. Mods are also people who have casual lives. Criticizing people for not working on a particular entry and instead chatting with their friends is ridiculous. There is a division between work and leisure. There also doesn't seem to be much of a point to firing mods - if someone contributes a lot or just a little, the goal should be to have more active mods shouldn't it? If someone's life gets so busy that they can only contribute once in awhile, isn't it better to retain them on the team and also hire other people rather than drop them?
 
Apr 20, 7:27 AM
Review Moderator
Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 157
Sonal1988 said:


What's the point tho? Multiple users have complained about Manga+character entries being put on hold for years bc your staff can't be arsed to accept or reject entries. Nor can you people be bothered to add new mods who actually login frequently and do their volunteer work (but y'all still got the time for putting up MAL games or whatever these new layouts and threads are called).
Hell, one manga mod hasn't logged in for over half a year and she's still a mod.

Give me a reason better than "they're busy with irl stuff" and I'll listen to what you people have to say. Especially considering the fact that there's no scarcity of people (aka potential mods) on an anime website who don't have much of a life. The same goes for your anime DB mods - character entries are denied pretty quickly, but you're lucky if your modified (aka correct) entries will be accepted within one year.

Your mods are always too busy to do the jobs they volunteered for, but never too busy to chit-chat with friends through their profile comments, or their Discord accounts. What a sham.


As most of your other complaints have been addressed already or just have no place in this current thread let me question your logic that not enough manga mods = postponing events and games? Please tell me where this comes from and how this would help? Especially considering that most of the people who help set up these events have no ties to the Manga DB team.

In comparison it's like seeing people complain about bugs in a video game in a thread about its art. Where is there a connection between the two besides simply originating from the same product?
 
Apr 20, 11:43 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 103
I'm very excited to hear that new moderators will appear at one point. I'm reading about 40 series that are pending approval and am very keen to add them to my list.


Kineta said:

In the meantime, @mickal777 (I think?) has been updating this thread as entries are approved to help users with our backlog.


Cat's out of the bag! Yeah that is me, I was planning on automating it but I just check manually every so often.
 
Apr 23, 7:15 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 760
mickal777 said:
I'm very excited to hear that new moderators will appear at one point. I'm reading about 40 series that are pending approval and am very keen to add them to my list.


Kineta said:

In the meantime, @mickal777 (I think?) has been updating this thread as entries are approved to help users with our backlog.


Cat's out of the bag! Yeah that is me, I was planning on automating it but I just check manually every so often.


you're doing god's work (or whoever/whatever you believe in)
I don't read too many series but I find it really interesting to see what's added and what's denied.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
 
Apr 23, 8:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 114
Any news on that api?
So many boobs in fairy tail, it's crazy.
 
Apr 23, 1:09 PM
I love stuff...

Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 683
Sonal1988 said:
Cute of you to assume I didn't apply multiple times over the course of a year, when the mod applications were both open and closed, assuming they'd consider my application when the positions did open again in the future. And I wasn't the only one - friends, acquaintances and even random people in the forums have complained about the exact thing I'm complaining about now.
And seeing how I am part of two volunteer organizations that require a huge amount of my time and dedication, I can safely say that there are very few people on MAL who're putting as much time and effort as I am, into such activities. So believe me when I say it's not difficult to fire those who find the job tedious and hire those who are more than eager to work. For free. Especially on a website where the members run into millions.
Sounds to me you're finding excuses for the incompetent behaviour of the mods, more than anything else.
I understand you completely...

I was adding (and still do) insane amounts of content since 2008/2009, thousands of characters/pictures, hundreds of people, and countless edits were submited by yours truly.
Spent my late teens, and majority of 20s working on database.

In the meantime, new mods all eventually got bored / tired, and you basically need to PM them to confirm submissions.

Pretty much only Naruleach, and Leknaat will help.
Cloudy too, I guess.

Despite everyone knowing how much I did, not even once in these have I received message such as: Hey Psajdak, you seem to be really into characters/people; could you help with submissions of other people?

Instead, let's depend on mods who for months haven't logged in.

As for Kineta, I needed help few times, she ignored everything, sometimes it feels like one needs to have her as friend, so that she can do something.
Also these games like April 1st, or this Easter thing...

Like we don't have better things to do.

All these announcements are...

Well, Im not sure what to think, but I do know that once again, 90% of new mods will stop helping after few months of initial activity, which is really sad considering there is more anime/manga than ever.
 
Apr 23, 1:36 PM
BL connoisseur

Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1190
Claptrap said:


LOL I FORGOT TO REPLY.

Basically everything you said, yes. But isn't that the job of the hiring team - to weed out the assholes and ensure the staff that you hire are competent and regular enough to do their job?
No, I don't think it's unfair to criticize someone who volunteered to do a particular job and then didn't bother fulfilling their commitment bc of xyz reason. Busy? Ask the hiring staff to hire someone in your place. As simple as that. That, and take away the fucking title of inactive mods, especially if they haven't logged over in half a fucking year. Jfc the incompetence of the DB mods here is just on another level.

Jack said:



Typical mod response - going off at the users for highlighting mods not doing their jobs, instead of, you know, going off at the mods for not doing their jobs. As for going off on a tangent, the forum mods are here to keep me in line for exactly such purposes, so you don't have to worry about what I post where.
And since you're soooooo worried about people complaining about the shitty job the DB mods do, how about you begin with him?>

Psajdak said:


Man, I felt bad when I read that. Esp since mod Luna told me maybe a yr ago that Kineta didn't hire new mods bc she was busy with irl stuff, but that hopefully new DB mods would be considered within the next 6 months. What a surprise that didn't happen! And to think Kineta ain't too busy to post various forum threads or updates, but is always too busy to hire new mods. Which is ironic bc I myself have spoken to several people who said that their DB mod applications were always ignored by Kineta's bot account.
The mods here are like govt bureaucrats - they won't do their jobs, nor will they let anybody better do their jobs for them. For free of cost. I guess they like their mod titles way too much to give them up - even if it means inconveniencing users. And I'm not even gonna go into how paid users are not given any preference when it comes to such issues, as opposed to free users. You just have to be happy with coloured stats bars and 20 spaces for your fav shows and characters. What a fucking joke.
Modified by Sonal1988, Apr 23, 1:40 PM
 
Apr 23, 5:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 4262
The problem is that once you go through the hiring process (which takes considerable time, and as current mods are involved in working with the applicants, requires additional commitments by the overworked staff), you then have to keep the moderators. That's easier said than done, as most people have no idea just how big a commitment being a moderator is, and underestimate badly just how much stress there is in that position. After a couple of years doing it I suffered from total burnout, to the extent that I didn't log in to MAL or watch anime for at least two years. Now I should qualify that by saying that being a forum moderator is a little different kettle of fish, since they deal with some of the most problematic situations and individuals in MAL, but there were a number of occasions where we had to act because of the treatment review or db moderators were receiving for just doing their jobs. I'm not trying to dissuade people from volunteering to be mods, I'm simply saying that most MAL members don't realize just how much work it is.

Improving how we deal with LN's and other new features inevitably means we need more moderators. If enough people come forward then MAL will be able to deal with backlogs and improve the response time on other issues. Sitting back and criticizing is easy, but it doesn't help much to make things better. Attacking the hard working and committed people who voluntarily give up great swatches of personal time to improve MAL is counterproductive at best.

So what can we do to help? If you have the ability and time, volunteer to be a moderator. If you notice missing information in the DB, spend some time working on a submission that can be added with minimal moderator involvement.

And thanks to Kineta and Naru and all the other folks who continued to keep MAL strong while I was sitting in a darkened room reading manga and recovering. (still working on updating my manga list which is several years out of date)



Modified by rodac, Apr 23, 5:23 PM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

 
Apr 23, 6:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1030
@Sonal1998
I think one of my issues is MAL should be paying someone, quite honestly multiple people. I feel differently about it than charities due to the fact its a site that generates money off its free workforce. And I say this while thinking I'd like to volunteer for some positions. But that makes me think someone higher up deserves more crit.
 
Apr 23, 8:49 PM
Review Moderator
Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 157
Jack said:



Typical mod response - going off at the users for highlighting mods not doing their jobs, instead of, you know, going off at the mods for not doing their jobs. As for going off on a tangent, the forum mods are here to keep me in line for exactly such purposes, so you don't have to worry about what I post where.
And since you're soooooo worried about people complaining about the shitty job the DB mods do, how about you begin with him?>

You're still not addressing my point though, and if you wish to understand why you get 'typical mod responses' just check how you choose to come into each of these threads, but if you already have an idea before I said that then why make your comment in the first place. Anyways I have frustrations with some things in the manga DB and with the speed things are handled but I also know what goes into hiring thus resulting in the small pool of moderators. If anything you should take this as a sign of good things to come seeing how rarely announcements occur in this section. But back to my main point, what's the correlation between events here and the team members that take part in them and hiring manga members, should we just cancel all events because we haven't hired anybody, what should the team members do who are looking forward to participating and setting up these events do? Nah let's all go and search for manga db mods since we haven't already worked the 365 days of the year.
 
Apr 23, 10:21 PM
I love stuff...

Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 683
It is obvious that mod job requires commitment, but if one is tired, they should just be quickly replaced with someone else willing to help.

Or with (much) more people, since MAL constantly grows.

Not once in a few years.
 
Apr 25, 7:45 AM
2199

Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 3036
Thank you for making a move regarding this long-lasting issue.

Let's hope for a better future for MAL.
 
May 1, 7:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 5834
With the current response delay and now expansion in mind, how do you plan on tackling the submission queue? Do you anticipate that the moderator team increase will suffice to cover both, the DB limit expansion as well as shorten the response time? If not, how exactly will the queue be handled?
 
May 2, 9:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 3
I don't understand the meaning of "1980s and beyond" in regards to non-light novels. I also don't understand why you would want to limit novels to a particular year.
 
May 3, 10:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 4521
^Any Novel that was published from 1980 onwards.

Which sounds about right. Perfect Blue and Kimi no Na wa. are novels people keep submitting. The former eventually was printed in LN format and still didn't qualified. It does now since the novel was first published in 1991.
 
May 3, 5:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 3
I don't like this new rule if it means excluding novels from before the 80s. Candy Candy is from the 70s and I wish to add it to my list someday.
 
May 3, 7:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 260
The date limit is probably there to prevent every single Japanese literary classic from being added to the database, and the 80s might have been chosen as a cut-off date because that's apparently when light novels/novels with stylistic comparisons to anime rose to prominence (don't quote me on that though). Perhaps an exception for novels that were adapted to anime within X years after their original release could be implemented to distinguish from literary classics if that's the problem.

The more that I think about these new novel guidelines, the more I get a bit worried though. There's a lot more novels that have been adapted to anime/manga in the past 40 years than one might expect, and many of them are arguably far less "deserving" to be added to the DB than certain material that isn't addressed in the new guidelines (ex: manga/anime novelizations from all eras, other illustrated non-novels like Tsubasa Bunko books). Hopefully it will be further assessed/amended as time goes on.
 
May 4, 9:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 640
Are there any rules for manga sharing the same title?

The Anime DB has pretty clear guidelines for how to handle this: When multiple anime entries share the same title but are of a different type, the title of the most recent entry will include the type in parentheses. When they are of the same type, the most recent entry will include the year.

I ask this, because in the case of Ashigei Shoujo Komura-san, the one-shot currently has the same name as the ongoing series. I was looking to add a character that appears only in the ongoing series, however, unless there is some standardized order in which they show up, it is impossible for me to tell which entry I am submitting the character to.

i.e.: https://prnt.sc/nkjxw6
A Dementia a day keeps the Alzheimer's away.
 
May 5, 6:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 2197
Kwanthemaster said:
Are there any rules for manga sharing the same title?

The Anime DB has pretty clear guidelines for how to handle this: When multiple anime entries share the same title but are of a different type, the title of the most recent entry will include the type in parentheses. When they are of the same type, the most recent entry will include the year.

I ask this, because in the case of Ashigei Shoujo Komura-san, the one-shot currently has the same name as the ongoing series. I was looking to add a character that appears only in the ongoing series, however, unless there is some standardized order in which they show up, it is impossible for me to tell which entry I am submitting the character to.

i.e.: https://prnt.sc/nkjxw6


The link should show you the entry number when you hover the mouse over it, so this should help you out, but yes, there needs to be a way to differentiate them.
 
May 5, 12:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 640
luinthoron said:

The link should show you the entry number when you hover the mouse over it, so this should help you out, but yes, there needs to be a way to differentiate them.

I see, thank you. I did not notice this before.
A Dementia a day keeps the Alzheimer's away.
 
May 7, 9:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 1288
So manga posts on social media will not be accepted, right?
 
May 31, 12:49 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 21
So is there an estimated time frame for when things might pick back up?
 
May 31, 8:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 374
WOOOH nice one!!Yeheeey Thank you for the hardwork 😊😄
 
Jun 1, 3:59 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 1
Lol it's a good show
 
Jun 5, 6:54 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 1
nice wow
 
Jun 16, 2:59 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 12
StormSky92 said:
I hope the site eventually gets an overhaul and puts in Light Novels in their own category instead of them being lumped in with manga. I'd like them to have separate lists and rankings. But this is a good start.

I agree. This would be especially useful for titles that have both manga and LNs. I know if you open the description it will say on the page if it's manga or a novel, but distinct categories would be better.
 
Jun 16, 9:50 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 1
Is the search working for anyone ells? cant search anything with the MAL app
 
Jun 16, 11:36 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 1
@Pure_Sigma yeah, me neither
 
Top
Pages (2) « 1 [2]