Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 12, 2019 5:11 PM
Feb 2015
Ok so I know most anime is intended for a young male audience so it makes to have young characters a lot, but like Dragon Ball Z was shonen and had a adult main characters and is the most popular franchise around the world for decades. It gets tiring when you have this medium with probably more potential than any other too tell incredibly deep stories but youre always trapped by the same shonen tropes revolving around coming of age and teenage drama bs. Why can’t we have more stories like Berserk? I get it that there’s a lot of deepness in the freudian aspects of childhood and these make for some deep character studies like Evangelion but ITS BEEN DONE TO DEATH.
Apr 12, 2019 5:22 PM
May 2016
Simple. The most popular, best selling seasonal anime are feel good easy consumption shows that let the viewer reminisce to when times were simpler.
No one wants to be reminded about what being an adult is like, what a dreary existence is like, and no one wants to be introspective. They want cushy, padded, spoon fed moe blob type media that helps them forget about the hell hole that is their 9-5.
Apr 12, 2019 5:30 PM

Nov 2015
To give a quick answer:

Being a young(er) is easier.

Your problems back then are basic, your life is easier, you have all your life ahead of you. Amplify those problems with fiction and BAM, you have your new high-school themed anime.

Yes, it is an obsession but here's one part of the answer to your question.
Besides, it's not like there is no good anime with adult characters.

Another thing, age in anime is BS. It's not like characters even act like their age anyways so...
Apr 12, 2019 5:38 PM

Apr 2018
Well, given that in Japan, the audience for anime tends to be teens to older teens, that kind of "coming of age" story is far easier to sell than something dark and mature.

When in doubt, blame capitalism on your problems LOL
Apr 12, 2019 5:41 PM
Jul 2018
Probably because being an adult in Japan sucks, as they work like 12 hours a day. But you have a point about DBZ, so I'm also curious.
Apr 12, 2019 5:59 PM

Nov 2018
I have no idea how are things in Japan. Thankfully, I do not work in 9-5 job right now, but when I did (and if I did right now) I am 100% sure I will not watch anime. I am sure that many 9-5 adults could not get the time to fully enjoy anime. They will be really bad consumer of anime. But I remember how I played a lot of games and watched a lot of movies when I was in high school. If I watched anime at that time, I would have been a great consumer.

But I also consider that the story, the art (especially in facial expressions) and the character personalities are far more cheaper to come by for shounen shows in comparison to seinen.

Well beside production-consumption reason, there could be something about the Japan society itself, but since I do not consider anime, movies, internet and news as a reliable source about the Japan society really is, I suppose we can only speculate.
Apr 12, 2019 6:06 PM

Aug 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
Probably because being an adult in Japan sucks, as they work like 12 hours a day..

This.

And also because "dark" stories rarely go mainstream on this medium.
And if they do they werent truly dark in the first place (looking at you Madoka Magica!).

But most importanly what Nihilist said. Living in Japan its garbage so anime is full on escapism (just look at SAO-Kitsune Senko san and isekai).
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Apr 12, 2019 6:09 PM

Mar 2012
Because that's the blank state where you can literally be anything you want. That's the time where they make decision for the course of their life.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 12, 2019 6:12 PM
Feb 2015
CordobezEverdeen said:
HopefulNihilist said:
Probably because being an adult in Japan sucks, as they work like 12 hours a day..

This.

And also because "dark" stories rarely go mainstream on this medium.
And if they do they werent truly dark in the first place (looking at you Madoka Magica!).

But most importanly what Nihilist said. Living in Japan its garbage so anime is full on escapism (just look at SAO-Kitsune Senko san and isekai).

what are you talking about even the light anime is dark af, its not that the animes arent dark enough, they are, its just that they’re always revolving around teenage angst rather than more adult characters unless those characters are side characters like Kakashi
Apr 12, 2019 6:13 PM

Aug 2018
I'll remember that in one show the civil servants were treated as lazy because they only worked "9 HOURS"... in my country that's the legal maximum. I know that most asians countries have insane work hours, so that is why they feel like that about childhood. I liked my childhood, but I like more being independent and I enjoy a lot more my work than school.

Also there is one more reason, everyone is or were a young, so it's a lot more easy to relate to kids and have empathy with them.
Apr 12, 2019 6:15 PM

Mar 2019
I've heard that a lot of the Japanese really long for their teenage years when they become adults. I'm not even Japanese but I can understand that sentiment. I find myself kind of doing the same sometimes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2019 6:25 PM

Aug 2018
Ryuk9428 said:
I've heard that a lot of the Japanese really long for their teenage years when they become adults. I'm not even Japanese but I can understand that sentiment. I find myself kind of doing the same sometimes.

This too. At least thats what i saw in those documentaries.
Its also why there is less marriages since they say that women change after marriage and the guy can barely see his family and when he sees them he can only care about sleeping.

Krystopher said:

what are you talking about even the light anime is dark af, its not that the animes arent dark enough, they are, its just that they’re always revolving around teenage angst rather than more adult characters unless those characters are side characters like Kakashi

Having dark elements doesnt make an anime dark if the setting of the show isnt made specifically to welcome those dark elements.
Stuff like Re:Zero is "dark" because the setting and the circumstances welcome killings, suicide and death.
Naruto is a battle shounen i dont see how can it be dark. Of course some elements were unsettling but those things get overshadowed by the Jesus Christ God of the Moon that is Naruto.
I also think that you are thinking about stuff that is mature rather than dark.
CordobezEverdeenApr 12, 2019 6:32 PM
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Apr 12, 2019 6:40 PM

Jan 2014
Speaking as someone who's in their sophomore year in college, I find myself drawn to stories about childhood/adolescence like I've never been before. Once you graduate high school you're never going to get that kind of experience before. Everything matters more, everything is fresh and new, there's a whole universe of things to discover and explore and you have your entire life ahead of you. The comforting certainty that you will see your friends and teachers and your school and everything will go back to normal after summer's over will vanish as soon as you leave HS as well.

That's why I can understand the need for so many High School (or Middle/Elementary school) settings. Because it's a special time and being an adult sucks. One of the reasons I watch anime is to forget, at least for 20 minutes, that I've graduated HS and that I'm not a miserable college student with a terribly dull life. I believe many others also feel that way.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2019 6:44 PM

Mar 2019
starlessn1ght said:
Speaking as someone who's in their sophomore year in college, I find myself drawn to stories about childhood/adolescence like I've never been before. Once you graduate high school you're never going to get that kind of experience before. Everything matters more, everything is fresh and new, there's a whole universe of things to discover and explore and you have your entire life ahead of you. The comforting certainty that you will see your friends and teachers and your school and everything will go back to normal after summer's over will vanish as soon as you leave HS as well.

That's why I can understand the need for so many High School (or Middle/Elementary school) settings. Because it's a special time and being an adult sucks. One of the reasons I watch anime is to forget, at least for 20 minutes, that I've graduated HS and that I'm not a miserable college student with a terribly dull life. I believe many others also feel that way.

I related to this post way too much. Sophomore year of college for me was brutal. Eventually you kind of learn how to cope with having a dull life though.
Apr 12, 2019 6:57 PM

Jan 2010
Krystopher said:
Ok so I know most anime is intended for a young male audience so it makes to have young characters a lot, but like Dragon Ball Z was shonen and had a adult main characters and is the most popular franchise around the world for decades. It gets tiring when you have this medium with probably more potential than any other too tell incredibly deep stories but youre always trapped by the same shonen tropes revolving around coming of age and teenage drama bs. Why can’t we have more stories like Berserk? I get it that there’s a lot of deepness in the freudian aspects of childhood and these make for some deep character studies like Evangelion but ITS BEEN DONE TO DEATH.

Err because that demographic is the most profitable?
It's an industry man, they make what will give them more money.
Popularity = More money.
So there is your answer.
Nothing to do with childhood obsession.
Apr 12, 2019 7:17 PM

Oct 2017
Krystopher said:

Because ultimately the market for manga and anime skews either to a YA or otaku audience. YA want stories with characters their age and most otaku use anime/manga as an escape to better times. Work culture in Japan is hell and adult life isn't looked upon as fondly as say your HS years.

Most adults would be more likely to watch live action dramas than anime. I think people overestimate the market for stuff like this.

Even still we do get a few titles every so often that do focus on older characters such Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, Vinland Saga this year (granted Thorifinn starts out around 17 in prologue though he gets much older as the story progresses), Golden Kamuy etc.

As for DBZ true though DBZ started out and ran for a good period of time with Goku being around 12 and 15. Lots of action shonen still do time skips it's not uncommon to this day. As the series goes on you want to age up your characters partially because it helps your sense of growing up and journey but also partially to have your characters grow with your audience.

BilboBaggins365Apr 12, 2019 7:21 PM
Apr 12, 2019 9:04 PM

Mar 2017
I think Japanese kids and Korean included miss out on what a lot of youth is in other countries. They have to study so much, and there's so much pressure to do so that they do not have the amount of time to enjoy that kids from other countries have. I think schools try to negate that by having lots of fun events and such, but imo that is not enough. Thus, anime. Asian countries in general need to put less emphasis on memorization. It's not useless knowledge, but I believe a lot of it is unnecessary. I think that would free up a lot of time for the students.
Apr 12, 2019 9:12 PM
Jul 2018
There isn't really a childhood obsession, I also don't believe its just a marketing demand either. There are many other reasons younger protags thrive, so lets DIG IN for this weeks TL;DR by Grizzziff Kingsbeard.

I personally think people are forgetting how hard it is to teach life lessons to seasoned adults. They are normally stuck in their ways, old dogs with no hopes of learning any new tricks. The avatars of teenagers and young children are malleable, making them a valuable tool of story telling. Those of youth are easily affected, the most metamorphic if you will. It's not an obsession with childhood. It's the art of story telling.

While popularity, and appeasing the larger demographic of sales is a valid argument, the counter to that logic is you create peers when using young age heroes, and you do not create role models. Having your mains be relate-able isn't always the best creative strategy. It is true, seeing someone your age can be motivating, but manufacturing a hero of age will create an icon fans can look up to you. So adult protagonists have merit even when dealing with the young audience majorities.

I think a HUGE reason we see so many young protagonists when we travel the world of anime, is love. Young love is the most believable, in all of its faults, and has the most possibilities. When you try to tell a love story revolving around someone in their 30's or 40's, its always one of two tropes: A cold heart finding warmth; or an ugly duckling becoming a swan. I mean there are widow tales, and other second chance stories, but they are all the same; there really isn't much you can do with it. No heart beats faster than a teenager in love, except maybe a humming bird squaring off with a semi truck wind screen. Sure, its mostly formed over mountains of ignorance, but young love makes the craziness of it all somewhat believable.

I also want to point out the existence of anime where the characters go from being children to being adults. Shinsekai Yori is an amazing anime, going through the lives of the characters, the story maturing along with them. It's very well done. I highly recommend it.

With your claims of childhood obsession, I think you are forgetting just how many great anime DO revolve around college age and beyond characters, Let's just name a humble few from my watching and completed:

Cowboy bebop, Samurai Champloo, One Punch Man, Log Horizon, Kobayashi Dragon Maid, Hellsing, Trigun, Berserk, Devil May Cry, Elfen Lied, Bluer Than Indigo, Devil is a part timer, Overlord, a mix of silly and serious with adult age protagonists, targeted at varying demographics.

More recently Goblin Slayer, My Room Mate is a Cat, Silemru Tempest was an adult, Robihatchi, Shield Hero...

There are many many more that I haven't even begone to think about watching. Like JoJo's, attack on titan, gintama, psychopass, death parade, ghost in the shell, spice and wolf, monster, space dandy, lupin, AND yes I did in fact google Anime with adult protags to snatch up these bigger names I couldn't think of.

...AND there are a huge number of adult protags remaining out there in the aniverse, but I do admit there are more with younger leads but then the diversity of it all... I still wouldn't call it an obsession, its just how those stories go.

You went on to say this amazing format needs more stories like berserk. I neither agree or disagree but I just want to say, if it were so easy to create an amazingly complex story like that, then everyone would be doing it and nobody would care. Appreciate the rarity of greatness, you are less likely to ignore it this way.
removed-userApr 12, 2019 9:16 PM
Apr 12, 2019 9:31 PM

Aug 2018
Perhaps, because they live a quite hectic and disciplined life and are also burdened with the expectations of their family and so, miss their childhood more than us "lawless" people. :-D
Apr 12, 2019 9:40 PM

Oct 2018
In my opinion, youth, and the stories that accompany it, is something basically everyone who’s alive can relate to; anybody who’s living has been or currently is young, not everyone is or will be old.
Apr 12, 2019 10:51 PM

Dec 2017
Childhood is pretty relaxed state for a human where one doesn't have to worry about much things. that's the case in japan. they want escapism so that they can cure their depression with the help of these kinds of shows.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Apr 14, 2019 11:06 AM

Nov 2013
Cause that's where the moe moe waifus hide.
Apr 14, 2019 12:02 PM
Jan 2015
You know that shounen is a demographic and not a genre right? Just watch and read stuff that's seinen.
Apr 14, 2019 12:06 PM

Apr 2014
Childhood/Teenage years are the most enjoyable years for most Japanese people, as the work ethic and such are way stricter and way more exhausting than the one in the west, resulting in most Japanese people hating their adult life.
Apr 14, 2019 12:22 PM

Nov 2017
While I agree with what people have been saying about childhood being an easier time, and good for escapism, I think the OP meant why are the Japanese obsessed with it compared to Americans or at least American media. There seem to be far more shows and films about adult life, and the unpleasant aspects of it at that.
It's not like I like anime or anything.

Apr 14, 2019 12:23 PM
Aug 2018
It is a simple matter. The Japanese want to remember the time from before they needed to pay taxes.
Apr 14, 2019 12:38 PM

Mar 2019
Milk_is_Special said:
Childhood/Teenage years are the most enjoyable years for most Japanese people, as the work ethic and such are way stricter and way more exhausting than the one in the west, resulting in most Japanese people hating their adult life.

You know, despite all I've heard about people saying the Japanese work crazy amounts of hours and stuff like that, whenever I've actually seen research data on it, it actually indicates that Americans work more than the Japanese do? Many of these studies actually specifically point out that we work more than the Japanese do because of the perception that they work harder. Compared to Europe, yeah the Japanese work a lot, but I'm not sure if they actually work harder than Americans do or if Americans just really downplay how much we work while Japan makes a big issue of being overworked.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93364&page=1

https://20somethingfinance.com/american-hours-worked-productivity-vacation/

https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/1280x868/https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fniallmccarthy%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F01%2F20180108_Hours_Worked.jpg
Apr 14, 2019 12:42 PM

Nov 2017
Ryuk9428 said:
Milk_is_Special said:

You know, despite all I've heard about people saying the Japanese work crazy amounts of hours and stuff like that, whenever I've actually seen research data on it, it actually indicates that Americans work more than the Japanese do? Many of these studies actually specifically point out that we work more than the Japanese do because of the perception that they work harder. Compared to Europe, yeah the Japanese work a lot, but I'm not sure if they actually work harder than Americans do or if Americans just really downplay how much we work while Japan makes a big issue of being overworked.

https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/1280x868/https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fniallmccarthy%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F01%2F20180108_Hours_Worked.jpg

I think you have a great point. Whenever work or studying is involved in in an anime, it usually goes out of its way to point out how fatigued and diligent the characters are. More so than American TV at least. At the same time, I don't think many Americans go to crams schools, or go to school nearly year round.

Apr 14, 2019 12:51 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Considering how many people die from heart attacks in Japan from overworking. Or generally dying early which is also mostly because of working...

basically their system of worklife there absolutely demolishes lot of people.. especially if you add all sorts of emotional burden, personal hobbies, family life (if they even manage to create one - considering how they don't even want to bother with sexlife anymore that much. "takes too much time and energy, tired from work when get home etc.."

Long story short.. their biggest free and joyful and rich life comes mostly from childhood and schools.

At least that's my guess...

:/ I can see that.. I'm kinda also stuck right now alongside bunch of issues having no actual goal or interest in career, thus hating worklife because of taking my time, energy and will. Especially how time get's stolen from my hobbies and things I would like to do....
but at the same time it stresses me out also shittons because of failure and knowing working is required to get by in this world. Especially if I ever want to move away from my parents, which is something I've wanted since childhood.. but life is cancer.

But their obsession is simply my theoretical thought considering the content of such Anime is usually rather joyful. I personally can't relate as I've hated my childhood and schoollife equally as bad as my current worklife.
Apr 14, 2019 12:55 PM

Mar 2019
AngryCactus said:
Ryuk9428 said:

I think you have a great point. Whenever work or studying is involved in in an anime, it usually goes out of its way to point out how fatigued and diligent the characters are. More so than American TV at least. At the same time, I don't think many Americans go to crams schools, or go to school nearly year round.

I also looked at what school life is like in Japan.

They basically have three semesters that are 12 weeks long. In-between each semester they get a 4 week break. In the US, we instead have 1 long summer break that is 10 weeks, a two week long Christmas break, and a 1 week long spring break.

So if you measure it out by break time, its actually almost exactly the same, its just split up differently.

The hours they spend in class are actually somewhat lower too. in the US it is mandated that students spend 6 hours in class per day. In Japan, they have 6 classes that are 50 minutes long each adding up to more like 5 hours per day.

It seems to me that the US is just completely unaware of just how much we work whereas Japan might have a very strong perception that they are a hardworking country and exports that image to the rest of the world. While they definitely do work more than Europe which places a lot of emphasis on work-life balance, they don't seem to be, according to research data, quite as workaholic as Americans are. That doesn't mean that the work they do doesn't tire them out more than it tires out Americans though. A lot of Americans seem to have almost superhuman levels of energy that never runs out. They feel a need to be busy all the time and can't stand just relaxing. The Japanese might be working hard despite lower overall energy levels than Americans.
Apr 14, 2019 12:58 PM

Nov 2017
Ryuk9428 said:
AngryCactus said:

They basically have three semesters that are 12 weeks long. In-between each semester they get a 4 week break. In the US, we instead have 1 long summer break that is 10 weeks, a two week long Christmas break, and a 1 week long spring break.

So if you measure it out by break time, its actually almost exactly the same, its just split up differently.

The hours they spend in class are actually somewhat lower too. in the US it is mandated that students spend 6 hours in class per day. In Japan, they have 6 classes that are 50 minutes long each adding up to more like 5 hours per day.

It seems to me that the US is just completely unaware of just how much we work whereas Japan might have a very strong perception that they are a hardworking country and exports that image to the rest of the world. While they definitely do work more than Europe which places a lot of emphasis on work-life balance, they don't seem to be, according to research data, quite as workaholic as Americans are. That doesn't mean that the work they do doesn't tire them out more than it tires out Americans though. A lot of Americans seem to have almost superhuman levels of energy that never runs out. They feel a need to be busy all the time and can't stand just relaxing. The Japanese might be working hard despite lower overall energy levels than Americans.

Oh man you weren't kidding. I feel slightly less lazy now. Perhaps the over-saturation of glorifying overwork in anime was a government ploy to get Japanese people to work harder all along haha.

Apr 14, 2019 1:01 PM

Jul 2016
Because kids and children are cute af
Apr 14, 2019 1:10 PM

Mar 2019
AngryCactus said:
Ryuk9428 said:

Oh man you weren't kidding. I feel slightly less lazy now. Perhaps the over-saturation of glorifying overwork in anime was a government ploy to get Japanese people to work harder all along haha.

It could be, but I actually feel that there's a bit of resentment towards the culture of overwork that is just bubbling under the surface and not getting outwardly expressed. Its generally taboo to complain a lot in Japan whereas Americans tend to complain very openly about the things they don't like. However, it seems to me that the Japanese are kind of resentful towards the pressures placed on them even if they don't want to say it. The images of all these people who are so overworked that they don't have time for friends or family could be an indirect way of expressing that "we work too hard as a society, look at how many people can't even enjoy their lives because of how much we work."

Sometimes its hard to get people to pay attention to your suffering if that person thinks you're only suffering to a moderate degree. Sometimes the best way to bring attention to an issue is to just slightly exaggerate it because extreme suffering is more demanding of attention than moderate suffering. If you were told to walk 20 minutes in the snow without a coat on for example, you might tell the person "its absolutely freezing out there, I could get hypothermia." You might then try to say that its more like a 30 minute walk and instead of saying its 29 degrees outside you might say "its in the 20s outside."

What I should also mention is that even though the research data indicates that they don't work quite as many hours as Americans do, this doesn't mean that extremely overworked individuals don't exist. Its more an indication that America has even more extremely overworked individuals than Japan does.
Apr 14, 2019 1:24 PM

Oct 2018
Ryuk9428 said:
Milk_is_Special said:

IDK about these sources and I'm going to have to largely disagree.

The inherent problem of overwork is ingrained in the Japanese culture. Most don't leave until the boss leaves. Recently a production assistant from Madhouse was hospitalized from overwork. Obviously this is an extreme example from the anime industry, but this isn't that far off from your typical office job. Japan has bad labor laws and an extreme work culture.
Apr 14, 2019 1:40 PM

Mar 2019
zagzee said:
Ryuk9428 said:

The inherent problem of overwork is ingrained in the Japanese culture. Most don't leave until the boss leaves. Recently a production assistant from Madhouse was hospitalized from overwork. Obviously this is an extreme example from the anime industry, but this isn't that far off from your typical office job. Japan has bad labor laws and an extreme work culture.

Yeah but in the US, a lot of workers are pressured to keep working even after the boss has already left, leaving when the boss does would probably feel like a relief to them.

The US has no maximum number of working hours per week and no required vacations or holidays. Even Japan requires companies by law to give workers ten days per year of annual leave.

Like I mentioned, its not that overwork isn't a thing there, but it appears our overwork problem is even bigger than theirs is. Either that or they are having a harder time coping with it than the US is. The US has a lot of extreme personalities and one symptom of this are people who work inhuman amounts of hours and don't even seem to think its a very big deal. I knew one guy who had a job driving trucks 50 hours per week and also did delivery driver work for 35 hours per week. I asked him why the hell he was doing delivery work when he already had the truck driving job and his basic explanation was "I like having cash on hand that I can get immediately after work to buy beer and cigarettes with rather than waiting for a paycheck." That guy's working hours are actually comparable to the guy who got hospitalized.
Apr 14, 2019 1:47 PM

Nov 2017
Ryuk9428 said:
AngryCactus said:

It could be, but I actually feel that there's a bit of resentment towards the culture of overwork that is just bubbling under the surface and not getting outwardly expressed. Its generally taboo to complain a lot in Japan whereas Americans tend to complain very openly about the things they don't like. However, it seems to me that the Japanese are kind of resentful towards the pressures placed on them even if they don't want to say it. The images of all these people who are so overworked that they don't have time for friends or family could be an indirect way of expressing that "we work too hard as a society, look at how many people can't even enjoy their lives because of how much we work."

Sometimes its hard to get people to pay attention to your suffering if that person thinks you're only suffering to a moderate degree. Sometimes the best way to bring attention to an issue is to just slightly exaggerate it because extreme suffering is more demanding of attention than moderate suffering. If you were told to walk 20 minutes in the snow without a coat on for example, you might tell the person "its absolutely freezing out there, I could get hypothermia." You might then try to say that its more like a 30 minute walk and instead of saying its 29 degrees outside you might say "its in the 20s outside."

What I should also mention is that even though the research data indicates that they don't work quite as many hours as Americans do, this doesn't mean that extremely overworked individuals don't exist. Its more an indication that America has even more extremely overworked individuals than Japan does.

I like your logic. It seems like you've thought about this at some length before, was it something else or just this thread that prompted you to do some research?

Apr 14, 2019 1:59 PM

Oct 2013
Childhood is not the same as adolescence.

Most anime are power fantasies to the largest target audience which is teenagers/young adults.
Apr 14, 2019 2:06 PM

Oct 2018
Ryuk9428 said:
zagzee said:

Yeah but in the US, a lot of workers are pressured to keep working even after the boss has already left, leaving when the boss does would probably feel like a relief to them.

The US has no maximum number of working hours per week and no required vacations or holidays. Even Japan requires companies by law to give workers ten days per year of annual leave.

Like I mentioned, its not that overwork isn't a thing there, but it appears our overwork problem is even bigger than theirs is. Either that or they are having a harder time coping with it than the US is. The US has a lot of extreme personalities and one symptom of this are people who work inhuman amounts of hours and don't even seem to think its a very big deal. I knew one guy who had a job driving trucks 50 hours per week and also did delivery driver work for 35 hours per week. I asked him why the hell he was doing delivery work when he already had the truck driving job and his basic explanation was "I like having cash on hand that I can get immediately after work to buy beer and cigarettes with rather than waiting for a paycheck." That guy's working hours are actually comparable to the guy who got hospitalized.

There might be overwork, I don't doubt it. But I don't think it really compares to the extremities of Japan's work culture. Also, IDK any relatives or friends that complain of overwork. They take & get plenty of days off. That uncapped relatively means nothing.

Plenty of companies violate the labor standards and get away with it. Besides, Japan has "paid" leave but it's more than likely unpaid. And that's even IF the employees leave. Because most don't, they would feel guilty if they did.

Overtime often goes unpaid as well.
zagzeeApr 14, 2019 2:14 PM
Apr 14, 2019 2:11 PM

Mar 2019
AngryCactus said:
Ryuk9428 said:

I like your logic. It seems like you've thought about this at some length before, was it something else or just this thread that prompted you to do some research?

Yeah I've done a bit of research on this topic before this thread came up. Your comments are actually what made me think about the televised portrayals though which I hadn't quite thought of before.

I also just do a lot of research on the different aspects of different countries cultures. Like a lot of people wouldn't think about it, but much research indicates Mexico is one of the most overworked countries in the entire world easily surpassing both the US and Japan but you almost never hear about overwork and workaholics in relation to Mexico.

https://read.oecd-ilibrary.org/social-issues-migration-health/building-an-inclusive-mexico/mexico-is-overworked-long-commutes-long-work-weeks-and-long-annual-hours_9789264265493-graph16-en#page1
Apr 14, 2019 2:18 PM

Mar 2019
zagzee said:
Ryuk9428 said:

There might be overwork, I don't doubt it. But I don't think it really compares to the extremities of Japan's work culture. Also, IDK any relatives or friends that complain of overwork. They take & get plenty of days off. That uncapped relatively means nothing.

Plenty of companies violate the labor standards and get away with it. Besides, Japan has "paid" leave but it's more than likely unpaid. And that's even IF the employees leave. Because most don't, they would feel guilty if they did.

Overtime can often go unpaid as well.

Yeah, not every work culture in America is extreme because a lot of bosses recognize that a good work-life balance is good for people so they give them more time off than they are legally required to do. The same is true in Japan, not every boss is drilling his workers like a slavemaster and also recognize the need for good work-life balance. Most bosses aren't trying to force the majority of their workers to commit to more than the standard 40 hours per week and will encourage workers to take time off if they seem overworked. But in both the US and Japan, there aren't laws that actually prevent bosses from going off the rails and trying to act like a dictator over their company which is what you see happen sometimes.

I know people who've worked at US companies that without a doubt violated numerous labor laws. They probably could've been sued but people don't want to lose their job when they're young and just entered the workforce a few years ago. Imagine how difficult it would be to get a job when any employer could figure out that you sued your previous employer? That's not gonna look good on your resume at all.
Apr 14, 2019 2:20 PM

Nov 2017
Ryuk9428 said:
AngryCactus said:

Yeah I've done a bit of research on this topic before this thread came up. Your comments are actually what made me think about the televised portrayals though which I hadn't quite thought of before.

I also just do a lot of research on the different aspects of different countries cultures. Like a lot of people wouldn't think about it, but much research indicates Mexico is one of the most overworked countries in the entire world easily surpassing both the US and Japan but you almost never hear about overwork and workaholics in relation to Mexico.

https://read.oecd-ilibrary.org/social-issues-migration-health/building-an-inclusive-mexico/mexico-is-overworked-long-commutes-long-work-weeks-and-long-annual-hours_9789264265493-graph16-en#page1

Hmm, I see.

I'd say that we don't tend to hear a lot about Mexican culture in general, but one of the stereotypes I was always exposed to from growing up in a city with a large Hispanic population was that Mexicans, or at least Mexican immigrants, worked far too hard, while simultaneously entertaining the stereotype that they were lazy and leeching off the system. I did do a quick search and from what I can tell you are right though. Mexico's definitely number one, perhaps apart from good ol North Korea who we can't get reliable data on.

Apr 14, 2019 2:27 PM

Oct 2018
Ryuk9428 said:
zagzee said:

Overtime can often go unpaid as well.

Yeah, not every work culture in America is extreme because a lot of bosses recognize that a good work-life balance is good for people so they give them more time off than they are legally required to do. The same is true in Japan, not every boss is drilling his workers like a slavemaster and also recognize the need for good work-life balance. Most bosses aren't trying to force the majority of their workers to commit to more than the standard 40 hours per week and will encourage workers to take time off if they seem overworked. But in both the US and Japan, there aren't laws that actually prevent bosses from going off the rails and trying to act like a dictator over their company which is what you see happen sometimes.

I know people who've worked at US companies that without a doubt violated numerous labor laws. They probably could've been sued but people don't want to lose their job when they're young and just entered the workforce a few years ago. Imagine how difficult it would be to get a job when any employer could figure out that you sued your previous employer? That's not gonna look good on your resume at all.

Interesting how work culture can even come to overwork. Japan is the least productive of all G7 countries. That's probably because actually sleeping correlates with a more productive person & better work quality. Either way I wish them all the best & hope they sort it out.
Apr 14, 2019 2:27 PM

Mar 2019
AngryCactus said:
Ryuk9428 said:

Hmm, I see.

I'd say that we don't tend to hear a lot about Mexican culture in general, but one of the stereotypes I was always exposed to from growing up in a city with a large Hispanic population was that Mexicans, or at least Mexican immigrants, worked far too hard, while simultaneously entertaining the stereotype that they were lazy and leeching off the system. I did do a quick search and from what I can tell you are right though. Mexico's definitely number one, perhaps apart from good ol North Korea who we can't get reliable data on.

Yeah anything could be happening in North Korea, we wouldn't know it. China, Greece, Turkey, and South Korea work a lot too.

That's a stereotype I've heard about Mexicans too which is weird. Because I've actually seen several Republican politicians try to portray Mexicans as lazy and trying to leech off of America but at the same time it is well known that Mexicans are willing to work harder and for less money than American workers are, even to an extent which violates the labor laws, which is why so many companies want to employ them.
Apr 14, 2019 2:32 PM

Oct 2018
Ryuk9428 said:
AngryCactus said:

Hmm, I see.

Yeah anything could be happening in North Korea, we wouldn't know it. China, Greece, Turkey, and South Korea work a lot too.

That's a stereotype I've heard about Mexicans too which is weird. Because I've actually seen several Republican politicians try to portray Mexicans as lazy and trying to leech off of America but at the same time it is well known that Mexicans are willing to work harder and for less money than American workers are, even to an extent which violates the labor laws, which is why so many companies want to employ them.

Most politicians just want to pander to their party. For some reason they'll always have support no matter what kind of stupid things they say or do.
Apr 14, 2019 2:33 PM

Mar 2019
zagzee said:
Ryuk9428 said:

Interesting how work culture can even come to overwork. Japan is the least productive of all G7 countries. That's probably because actually sleeping correlates with a more productive person & better work quality. Either way I wish them all the best & hope they sort it out.

I've also heard that, and that one of the reasons for Japanese "working hours" being long is because they are incredibly unproductive at work. Office meetings drag on way longer than necessary and if a co-worker wants to talk to you, you can't just tell them "I have work to do, please leave me alone" or something along those lines, the "polite" thing to do is to socialize with them for as long as they want.

Germany on the other hand is very productive at work despite working much fewer hours because they try to cut out distractions and things like that out of work life as much as possible. Meetings are very short and people don't view the office as a "social environment" the way a lot of Americans do. In return though, they only typically have 6 hour work days along with a generous amount of time off. In this case, I think the US is more like Japan than Germany because US office life also has a lot of distractions.
Apr 14, 2019 2:44 PM

Nov 2017
zagzee said:
Ryuk9428 said:

Most politicians just want to pander to their party. For some reason they'll always have support no matter what kind of stupid things they say or do.

They don got support because they have the cash flow. Simple as that.

Apr 14, 2019 2:47 PM

Nov 2017
Ryuk9428 said:
zagzee said:

I've also heard that, and that one of the reasons for Japanese "working hours" being long is because they are incredibly unproductive at work. Office meetings drag on way longer than necessary and if a co-worker wants to talk to you, you can't just tell them "I have work to do, please leave me alone" or something along those lines, the "polite" thing to do is to socialize with them for as long as they want.

Germany on the other hand is very productive at work despite working much fewer hours because they try to cut out distractions and things like that out of work life as much as possible. Meetings are very short and people don't view the office as a "social environment" the way a lot of Americans do. In return though, they only typically have 6 hour work days along with a generous amount of time off. In this case, I think the US is more like Japan than Germany because US office life also has a lot of distractions.

Oh absolutely. Everybody and their mother is on their phone a good chunk of the time. Most corporate workplaces have policies against them but no one really gives a shit from what I've seen as long as you get the work done

Apr 14, 2019 2:47 PM

Sep 2014
Weird question. Your specific problem lies with shounen. There is so much more out there.

Also the reason why anime is obsessed with childhood is because its a very important part of life. It forms you into the person you will eventually be forever and you are only free as a child. Especially in the japanese society with the work times, strict hierarchy etc.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

More topics from this board

» Have you tried to rewatch your old childhood anime shows as a more conscious anime fan?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

21 by LenRea »»
56 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 8 hours ago

31 by TsutanaiFuun »»
56 seconds ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

214 by sodaJar »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?

Dije - Apr 16

39 by Sigma- »»
17 minutes ago

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 15

86 by Sigma- »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.