Forum Settings
Forums

How come many early-2000 anime don't have many viewers, even...

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 14, 2019 3:36 PM

Sep 2014
My money is on the hype as well. Anime became popular in the west = MAL only towards the end of 2000s, and aside from a certain amount of older anime which gets hyped most simply get lost in the mass of shows.

Also streaming and internet in general.

Just look at Haruhi, I consider it mandatory and its barely in the top 100. It was EVERYWHERE back then. Now nobody cares.
Comander-07Apr 14, 2019 3:39 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 14, 2019 6:26 PM

Apr 2019
Gythia said:
Well I don't understand what you're trying to say, so if what I'm assuming is what you're trying to say then yeah, I agree.. but so what was wrong in my original post? I said that casual viewers only watch a handful of popular animes, examples being Death Note, Code Geass, and a bunch of Ghibli films

I DID excluded Those stuffs Death note, Codegeass in your first post. And I told that again in some post that I am not talking about those semi old stuffs. How many times do you need to get reminded about that. What I am saying is that only a few of very old anime is being watched these days and that amount is even too insignificant to compare with the others. That's why I said many old anime are being ingnored these days mainly because of the older animation they possess.
BlackMirrorxApr 14, 2019 6:32 PM
Apr 14, 2019 6:41 PM

May 2015
idk lots of the anime i love is from like 1978-2010? nowadays anime just isnt the same and can be mass produced and idk. One of the reasons i enjoy the earlier animes is because of the cell animation, Its just very pleasing
My Candies:
Apr 14, 2019 10:26 PM

Jul 2017
Does it really matter if there aren't as much viewers on early 2000's anime?

If anything we can use those to flex on the newer plebs. These guys won't know what hit them when I put my Eurobeat playlist on full blast.

And it's all just hype really. Most ppl nowadays won't really watch anything without hype anymore.
Comander-07 said:
My money is on the hype as well. Anime became popular in the west = MAL only towards the end of 2000s, and aside from a certain amount of older anime which gets hyped most simply get lost in the mass of shows.

Also streaming and internet in general.

Just look at Haruhi, I consider it mandatory and its barely in the top 100. It was EVERYWHERE back then. Now nobody cares.
Exactly this. I guess we can just keep our gems to ourselves then. don't burn me tho pls i haven't watched haruhi yet

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Apr 14, 2019 10:47 PM
Jul 2018
My main reason is that the character designs aren't only bland, but also ugly. It doesn't have the more professionally drawn detailed line work or the crisp, clean look of modern anime. Sister Princess, Elfen Lied, Fruits Basket, A Little Snow Fairy Sugar, and .Hack Sign all having enormous bug eyes taking up 90% of the face and the huge poofy hair that looked awful(with the exception of Fruits Basket which had the opposite problem).

A lot of people are stating animation, but I think 2010 sucked in that department just as much.
removed-userApr 14, 2019 10:53 PM
Apr 14, 2019 10:49 PM
Jul 2018
I guess anime only became popular post-2010 and people watch recent shows rather than old ones.
Apr 15, 2019 12:08 AM
Oct 2018
"ForumHow come many early-2000 anime don't have many viewers, even..."

lolwut?!? They don't?

NUMBER ONE "most popular"; ie the MOST WATCHED SHOW on MAL is Death Note- 2006. (3) is FMA-B 009 (10) is Naruto- 2002, (11) is Code Gayass- 2006 (13) Toradora 2008, (19) Naruto Shippuden 2007 (20) Fairy Tale 2008 (21) Elfen Lied 2004 etc, etc

The FIRST 90s anime on the list is One Piece (1999) at no. 34. Of the previous 33 animes, 13 (so, more than 1/3rd) are between 2001 and 2009. And then first 80s is DBZ 1989 at no.73,

wtf are you even talking about?!?

More recent = bigger MAL = more views. But a steady ~33% of popular titles on MAL are 00s, compared to 90s, which are ~4%, and 80s are <1%.

Early 00's is the period that does BEST in the "age vs popularity" stakes, by a large margin. You have it 100% backwards OP.
Apr 15, 2019 12:13 AM

Jul 2016
@Apollo18 If you keep looking at the list of most popular anime, the highest frequency is from 2009 and later.
Apr 15, 2019 12:58 AM

Apr 2019
Gythia said:
CreepKillinspree said:

I DID excluded Those stuffs Death note, Codegeass in your first post. And I told that again in some post that I am not talking about those semi old stuffs. How many times do you need to get reminded about that. What I am saying is that only a few of very old anime is being watched these days and that amount is even too insignificant to compare with the others. That's why I said many old anime are being ingnored these days mainly because of the older animation they possess.

I agree with your first point but I don't agree with the fact that people are ignoring old anime because of the old animation style. Sure, some people just refuses to watch something because of the old animation style, but with enough recognition people will watch it anyway, take Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop or Trigun as an example. The reason why people refuses to watch other older shows is because they are not talked about anymore, so people tend to go away from it.
You agreeing the first point...you disagreeing the second point..
Dafuq are you talking about ?
Didn't I just talk to you that I excluded the older and really popular series? Though there are just a few old popular shows that are being watched these days.
Let that aside, you don't even have any of those old popular series you mentioned above in your list, not even one.
And I am not talking anything about it either because that would be invalid informal or some shit you gonna reply. I know and it's not even needed.
What I have said is that most people don't like to watch normie old stuffs and of course their old animation style which is abundant.
But you know ...if you gonna keep twisting the previous comments or pretend, forget them like some gold fish or just like a dory in finding in Nemo..just get the hell Outta Here.
BlackMirrorxApr 15, 2019 2:49 AM
Apr 15, 2019 1:08 AM
Jul 2018
CreepKillinspree said:
Gythia said:

I agree with your first point but I don't agree with the fact that people are ignoring old anime because of the old animation style. Sure, some people just refuses to watch something because of the old animation style, but with enough recognition people will watch it anyway, take Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop or Trigun as an example. The reason why people refuses to watch other older shows is because they are not talked about anymore, so people tend to go away from it.
You agreeing the first point...you disagreeing the second point..
Dafuq are you talking about ?
Didn't I just talk to you that I excluded the older and really popular series? Though there are just a few old popular shows that are being watched these days.
Let that aside, you don't even have any of those old popular series you mentioned above in your list, not even one.
And I am not talking anything about it either because that would be invalid informal or some shit you gonna reply. I know and it's not even needed.
What I have said is that most people don't like to watch normie old stuffs and of course their old animation style which is abundant.
But you know ...if you gonna keep twisting the previous comments or pretend, forget them like some gold fish or just like a dory in finding in Nemo..just get the hell Outta Here.
Gythia might be forgetting stuff, but they've been civil the whole time. In the other hand, you consistently kept a very rude tone, so you're left looking like the jerk.

Edit: Read the first few posts, I take everything I said back. I focused way too much on the tone, Gythia was trying to upset you.
removed-userApr 15, 2019 1:16 AM
Apr 15, 2019 1:32 AM

Feb 2018
Anime is a lot more accessible nowadays, and a lot of people want to watch shows as they come out, so they can participate in the discussions with the community.
Apr 15, 2019 1:59 AM
Oct 2018
IpreferEcchi said:
@Apollo18 If you keep looking at the list of most popular anime, the highest frequency is from 2009 and later.

Yes. Because more recent = more MAL members = higher views.

But when you look at the general trend, view count averages always drop, the older you go. But 00s performs above that general trend, Because earlier than 00s there's a sharp drop into the 90s and earlier.

Apr 15, 2019 6:41 AM

Sep 2014
lazypigz said:
Exactly this. I guess we can just keep our gems to ourselves then. don't burn me tho pls i haven't watched haruhi yet
I wouldnt be surprised if its too late to enjoy it now. I recently rewatched it and idk, it definitely did not have the impact it had some years ago
(partially my fault because wrong watch order, chronological really doesnt work well for watching it first time. haruhi needs chaos and randomness, so go by airing order instead)

My guess is it just was so huge at the time it influenced anime by large and when you are used to post haruhi anime haruhi itself doesnt stand out that much anymore. The only partially outstanding character is kion, everyone else is basically just a stereotype. However the series itself is only the build up for the Disappearance of Haruhi movie, which is absolutely amazing still today. It still looks amazing (the series has really derpy eyes though, what was KyoAni thinking?) the characters show some other sides of them and the story is just perfect for a franchise movie. It ties in so many things and sets you up for more.. Yes I am still salty it doesnt get sequels like a lot of other stuff lately. The popularity definitely is high enough, IIRC even the LNs are still hot sellers after all those years of nothingness. And I hope from the bottom of my heart the hiatus will be over at some point and we can get a continuation/ending for my favourite high school club.

Its really weird to think about numbers on MAL, I mean Haruhi is fricking Haruhi, I cant even make a good comparison because it was just sooo huuuge back in the days. Maybe it would be like not knowing SAO, just without the negative reputation it got by fake elitists. Maybe it got overhyped seeing numbers today, but my other guess is that anime you watched way back simply dont make it onto your MAL. Otherwise I cant explain why lets say pokemon isnt more popular. Maybe Haruhi falls into the same kind of hole. And honestly, its not like Haruhi would be my first recommendation for people new to the medium today. Maybe that depends on their age though.

Looking at some other comments here I think Im onto something.
Apr 15, 2019 6:49 AM

Apr 2019
Gythia said:
Don't talk about my list. not having those anime in my lists
doesn't change anything

I said I'm not talking anything about it because I dont need it to make my point. Look..
creepkillinspree said:
 you don't even have any of those old popular series you mentioned above in your list, not even one.
But I am not talking anything about it either because that would be invalid informal or some shit you gonna reply. I know and it's not even needed. 

Gythia said:

Like I said before, me not having those anime in my lists doesn't change anything, but if you're still not satisfied with that answer then "I started watching anime as a kid but only treated it like every other cartoon. I only got back into anime around November of 2017" is written in my bio, now what does that mean? It means I've not had as much time to view every single popular anime, that combined with the fact that I have school makes it hard to watch animes, that's why I've resorted to reading manga.

And now you're even saying that you having over 120 anime in complete list but you should not even be considered as average anime fan? Whatever..

I don't even need any of that to make my point because there're many other previous convos that support my argument. But I don't feel like mentioning them again and again anymore.

You are still unable to grasp what we're talking since you can't listen any. But you're replying like that and you're probably genuine in your own thinking kid. But it's a brick wall and I don't feel like talkin to them.
BlackMirrorxApr 15, 2019 7:03 AM
Apr 15, 2019 6:51 AM

Jul 2014
Because anime is a thing since 2012 (SAO's release maybe?).

People didn't have too much access before and it was niche.

I watch anime since 2000 (through TV, few DVD releases), but only now I'm getting access to 90s shows, you know, information, internet, subs etc.
Apr 15, 2019 7:36 AM

Jan 2013
I'm not sure where folks are getting that anime is popular now, it still isn't.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Apr 15, 2019 7:53 AM

Dec 2015
First of all, my excuses for being out-of-theme.

CreepKillinspree said:
I didn't say ghibli aren't popular. Everybody knows they're popular.

Actually, the digital era of Ghibli is popular (from Mononoke-hime forward). The pre-Mononoke/cellulo animation era is mostly a thing among "non-anti-oldies" anime "fans" (or french / european people, with examples like Porco Rosso or Miyazaki's Lupin). The main exception would be the Grave of the Fireflies that got a quite huge following outside of Japan before Mononoke.

Say "Nausicaa" (I know it's not technically a Ghibli movie) or "Castle in the Sky", etc and people will look at you with wide eyes.

@Cabron Thank you.
Rei_IIIApr 15, 2019 7:57 AM
Apr 15, 2019 9:26 AM

Jul 2013
There are several reasons for this.
Anime was not as popular in the early 2000's in the West. And a lot of the people who did watch it are adults now, have lives, and don't bother with sites like MAL anymore.
There wasn't internet streaming at the time, and only a handful were broadcasted on TV. So there weren't as many options to choose from. You could pirate fansubs, but the population of people who did that compared to those who watched stuff like InuYasha on TV were really low.
VokiApr 15, 2019 9:47 AM
Apr 15, 2019 9:46 AM
Dec 2015
cause it looks old and ugly for the newcomers
Apr 15, 2019 9:46 AM

Nov 2010
My speculation is that many people who loved early 2000 animes didn't bother to make their anime list or too busy because of family life to have a chance to make one. I can imagine many of them either in their late 20s or mid 30s. While the majority of users that join this site nowadays are still young, have plenty of time to make these lists and only prefer the new animes which is fine IMO since I love the shiny new graphics too.
Apr 15, 2019 12:14 PM

Jul 2017
Comander-07 said:
(the series has really derpy eyes though, what was KyoAni thinking?)
early 2000's anime has some of that character design that might put some off. take clannad for example those god awful eyes still haunt me to this day.

Comander-07 said:
Its really weird to think about numbers on MAL, I mean Haruhi is fricking Haruhi, I cant even make a good comparison because it was just sooo huuuge back in the days. Maybe it would be like not knowing SAO, just without the negative reputation it got by fake elitists. Maybe it got overhyped seeing numbers today, but my other guess is that anime you watched way back simply dont make it onto your MAL. Otherwise I cant explain why lets say pokemon isnt more popular. Maybe Haruhi falls into the same kind of hole. And honestly, its not like Haruhi would be my first recommendation for people new to the medium today. Maybe that depends on their age though.
No I doubt it. I add literally everything I watched back in the day, even the things I don't remember much such as Beyblade. I don't think people would skip out on not adding things to their list, i mean it is free stats.

But the current trend now is seasonal anime. I don't think people would go back to watch some show that aired 10 years ago (hell even shows that aired from before last season) because people don't talk about it anymore. No hype = no relevancy, and things thrive on relevancy. Just look at Supreme. The only reason they are relevant is because people hype the shit out of them (i myself don't really care much for it anymore though). Other I think would be the case for people to watch some old classic would be because of animemes. Only reason I picked up Spice and Wolf.

Also numbers on MAL don't really matter. Gundam Seed was THE SHIT back in early 2000's (I don't know about the west though, I heard Gundam Wing was the thing back then in NA) and it only had 120k members. Initial D is an important piece of anime history and First Stage only has 140k members.

Apr 15, 2019 12:50 PM

Sep 2014
lazypigz said:
Comander-07 said:
(the series has really derpy eyes though, what was KyoAni thinking?)
early 2000's anime has some of that character design that might put some off. take clannad for example those god awful eyes still haunt me to this day.

Comander-07 said:
No I doubt it. I add literally everything I watched back in the day, even the things I don't remember much such as Beyblade. I don't think people would skip out on not adding things to their list, i mean it is free stats.

But the current trend now is seasonal anime. I don't think people would go back to watch some show that aired 10 years ago (hell even shows that aired from before last season) because people don't talk about it anymore. No hype = no relevancy, and things thrive on relevancy. Just look at Supreme. The only reason they are relevant is because people hype the shit out of them (i myself don't really care much for it anymore though). Other I think would be the case for people to watch some old classic would be because of animemes. Only reason I picked up Spice and Wolf.

Also numbers on MAL don't really matter. Gundam Seed was THE SHIT back in early 2000's (I don't know about the west though, I heard Gundam Wing was the thing back then in NA) and it only had 120k members. Initial D is an important piece of anime history and First Stage only has 140k members.
Yeah I thought about Clannad aswell. Both are made my KyoAni and now they are considered the studio with the most beautiful style..

In this very topic people said they did not bother adding older stuff.

But yes thats the point, either people who watched anime 15 years ago dont have MAL accounts, which is entirely possible given the age or they watched it on TV and only later became dedicated to anime with streaming and forums etc

Was Seed the Gundam with show carrier Mu LaFlaga and Dr. Stylish? I absolutely hated that one ^^ But I saw it sold super good, then again GT also sold well..
Apr 15, 2019 1:08 PM

Jun 2007
lazypigz said:
Since when are 2007-2009 (when Clannad aired) part of the "early 2000s"?
Apr 15, 2019 1:11 PM

Jul 2017
Comander-07 said:
...Why would you not? The point of MAL is to add as much as you can so you can laugh at other people about how inferior their lists are lol

Comander-07 said:
But yes thats the point, either people who watched anime 15 years ago dont have MAL accounts, which is entirely possible given the age or they watched it on TV and only later became dedicated to anime with streaming and forums etc

Was Seed the Gundam with show carrier Mu LaFlaga and Dr. Stylish? I absolutely hated that one ^^ But I saw it sold super good, then again GT also sold well..

I guess. A lot of new anime fans wouldn't have known about Gundam. Most people only make accounts to add SAO to their lists anyways. MAL is a relatively modern thing, and most people back then wouldn't have heard of it too. Guys that have MAL accounts now are dudes that probably just started watching anime, and I doubt they would've touched a Gundam show considering how irrelevant it is now. Well who knows I can only hope that a future Gundam series would be good enough the gain traction it once did as I saw back when I was living in Hong Kong. But considering how degens like us only care for seasonal waifus I really doubt it.

Also Seed is the one with Mu La Flaga. AKA Dio.

lol jk Takehito Koyasu will always be Mu for me I grew up with that voice

Zalis said:
lazypigz said:
Since when do I care about when Clannad aired. Anything KyoAni from that era all had pretty much the same character design principles anyways.
lazypigzApr 15, 2019 1:17 PM

Apr 15, 2019 1:22 PM

Sep 2014
lazypigz said:
Comander-07 said:
...Why would you not? The point of MAL is to add as much as you can so you can laugh at other people about how inferior their lists are lol

Comander-07 said:

I guess. A lot of new anime fans wouldn't have known about Gundam. Most people only make accounts to add SAO to their lists anyways. MAL is a relatively modern thing, and most people back then wouldn't have heard of it too. Guys that have MAL accounts now are dudes that probably just started watching anime, and I doubt they would've touched a Gundam show considering how irrelevant it is now. Well who knows I can only hope that a future Gundam series would be good enough the gain traction it once did as I saw back when I was living in Hong Kong. But considering how degens like us only care for seasonal waifus I really doubt it.

Also Seed is the one with Mu La Flaga. AKA Dio.

lol jk Takehito Koyasu will always be Mu for me I grew up with that voice

Zalis said:
Since when do I care about when Clannad aired. Anything KyoAni from that era all had pretty much the same character design principles anyways.
Dont ask me, ask them! I guess its what you said - only hyped shows and seasonals are relevant. And well thats probably true in a broader sense as well. You learn more about the current state of the medium from seasonals than from irrelevant 15 year old shows. When people ask about european movies I wouldnt give them Metropolis as an answer.

But its still interesting to see where we came from, and I would say people who use MAL atleast have some interest in the medium.
Apr 15, 2019 1:37 PM

Feb 2019
Social Media wasn't around back then. At the time, anime was still a fringe hobby for misfits and insiders. Toonami getting big raised the profile of anime and made it a more accepted pastime. No matter what you think of Toonami, they were instrumental in establishing it in the west. Hell, there wouldn't be a Big O S2 or FLCL S2 without them. Then youtube, streaming services, and social gaming came along, incorporating the visual style at every turn with no investment needed. Memes did the rest. So even though the old guard fondly remembers their Outlaw Stars and Gunsmith Cats, those shows don't benefit from the ridiculous exposure most anime enjoys now.
Apr 15, 2019 1:59 PM
Aug 2015
Cabron said:

When did it become cool to act like anime is some obscure thing that nobody knows about?
Apr 15, 2019 2:38 PM

Jan 2013
cevat24 said:
Cabron said:

When did it become cool to act like anime is some obscure thing that nobody knows about?
Is that what you got out of my comment? Come on.
Of course it's not obscure, you would be dumb to think that. But let's also not pretend that it's something everyone and their mothers know about.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Apr 15, 2019 3:07 PM
Aug 2015
Cabron said:
cevat24 said:

Is that what you got out of my comment? Come on.
Of course it's not obscure, you would be dumb to think that. But let's also not pretend that it's something everyone and their mothers know about.

In my experience the youth know what anime is and their mothers probably watched a good deal of anime while growing up. Ofc in America their mothers probably didn't grow up with anime because America has its own animation industry and all so America didn't need to import anime as much as other countries. Look at the cartoons aired in France for example
https://www.senscritique.com/top/resultats/Le_meilleur_du_Club_Dorothee/188404
Apr 15, 2019 3:33 PM

Jul 2016
mneav3 said:
Would you bother adding every single anime you watched long time ago unless you really like it or you consider re-watching it ? + many users don’t update their lists

Yes. Your list is supposed to have everything you ever watched to your knowledge.

And the more people who add it to their list, the more popular it is, the more visible it is to people looking for anime to watch.

Every anime should have an equal chance to be popular.
Apr 15, 2019 4:09 PM
Aug 2015
IpreferEcchi said:
mneav3 said:
Would you bother adding every single anime you watched long time ago unless you really like it or you consider re-watching it ? + many users don’t update their lists

Yes. Your list is supposed to have everything you ever watched to your knowledge.

And the more people who add it to their list, the more popular it is, the more visible it is to people looking for anime to watch.

Every anime should have an equal chance to be popular.

Why do you care about mal anyway? It just shows how popular an anime is among mal users. In reality not every anime fan uses mal. You can see how popular an anime is by using Google Trends. It's not that hard.
https://trends.google.com/trends/
Apr 15, 2019 4:50 PM

Jul 2016
cevat24 said:
Why do you care about mal anyway? It just shows how popular an anime is among mal users. In reality not every anime fan uses mal. You can see how popular an anime is by using Google Trends. It's not that hard.
https://trends.google.com/trends/

Because I want people on this website specifically to watch them. I want them to be literate with older anime.
Apr 16, 2019 12:04 AM
Apr 2019
Had to create an account just to answer to this post. This thread's comments are the most biased crap I've ever seen here since mal released.

From your perspective, ofc it seems that anime only took off in the west after you started to watch it, before you watched it, you didn't knew that a community even existed. Therefore we have people here even saying anime only took off in the west after SAO (really?)

In the 80's and 90's anime was still big in the west maybe just not so out front as it is today. And we did not need the networking aspect of it, we actually bought magazines and vhs tapes to watch it. I even dare to say that the marketing of anime was better before than it is atm, you had stores full of stuff, anime games in the arcades, there was a lot of card games, board games, collectables, etc. back then, I remember that when eva released it was big , you had posters on the street similar to how we still have today with movie releases. I still have a complete collection of vanilla dragon ball the card game. Those don't exist now, because as the internet grew, those stores closed because people weren't willing to pay for vhs and dvd's anymore. Most arcades also closed because consoles and online gaming became a thing.

So saying it wasn't popular because it wasn't accessible, it's not true. It's not like you couldn't get stuff. I live in Europel and I could get vhs for almost every anime that released back then, america had it even better. What wasn't accessible was manga's, it was very difficult to get manga's, they took a long time to release here.

Now you have nothing of that, you have events, youtube channels, streaming, and way more networking. That's just the difference. We grew up with different stuff, older people that didn't grow with 4chan, facebook, twitter, reddit etc. don't really care about events, we are a bit less social in the regard of arguing with people online, most of the guys that I grew up with aren't on MaL, I for sure never made an account until now, altho I do lurk sometimes. Older people usually prefer face to face interaction, going out to play board games, discuss etc.

So the reasoning is flawed, because the answer OP is looking for is unrelated with anime. It's not that they weren't popular back then, it's that MaL only became popular later on. And I recon it eventually dropped in popularity in favor of other social media afterwards altho we don't have the numbers to compare. Taking MaL as a reference for anime popularity and views is just wrong when MaL is a small percentage of the community.
Falcie_GaiahApr 16, 2019 12:09 AM
Apr 16, 2019 2:24 AM
May 2018
thewiru said:

Anime and manga "share" numbers, that's why.
Yes, but my point was that those were first to be added to MAL.

Out of so much others, it's anime from late 90s/early 2000s, as well as characters who first appeared in that era, and seiyu who were at their most popular during that time...
Apr 16, 2019 3:13 AM

Apr 2019
Falcie_Gaiah said:
Had to create an account just to answer to this post. This thread's comments are the most biased crap I've ever seen here since mal released.

From your perspective, ofc it seems that anime only took off in the west after you started to watch it, before you watched it, you didn't knew that a community even existed. Therefore we have people here even saying anime only took off in the west after SAO (really?)

In the 80's and 90's anime was still big in the west maybe just not so out front as it is today. And we did not need the networking aspect of it, we actually bought magazines and vhs tapes to watch it. I even dare to say that the marketing of anime was better before than it is atm, you had stores full of stuff, anime games in the arcades, there was a lot of card games, board games, collectables, etc. back then, I remember that when eva released it was big , you had posters on the street similar to how we still have today with movie releases. I still have a complete collection of vanilla dragon ball the card game. Those don't exist now, because as the internet grew, those stores closed because people weren't willing to pay for vhs and dvd's anymore. Most arcades also closed because consoles and online gaming became a thing.

So saying it wasn't popular because it wasn't accessible, it's not true. It's not like you couldn't get stuff. I live in Europel and I could get vhs for almost every anime that released back then, america had it even better. What wasn't accessible was manga's, it was very difficult to get manga's, they took a long time to release here.

Now you have nothing of that, you have events, youtube channels, streaming, and way more networking. That's just the difference. We grew up with different stuff, older people that didn't grow with 4chan, facebook, twitter, reddit etc. don't really care about events, we are a bit less social in the regard of arguing with people online, most of the guys that I grew up with aren't on MaL, I for sure never made an account until now, altho I do lurk sometimes. Older people usually prefer face to face interaction, going out to play board games, discuss etc.

So the reasoning is flawed, because the answer OP is looking for is unrelated with anime. It's not that they weren't popular back then, it's that MaL only became popular later on. And I recon it eventually dropped in popularity in favor of other social media afterwards altho we don't have the numbers to compare. Taking MaL as a reference for anime popularity and views is just wrong when MaL is a small percentage of the community.
Anime was popular back then, but you can't deny the fact that it's more popular now as it easily got more accessible as technology advanced.

If you remove anime from the internet today and only make it accessible through DVD's like in the 90's, I'm pretty sure half of the anime watchers today will be gone, and only the most popular ones will get enough attention.

You get the point.
-ShinzoApr 16, 2019 3:17 AM

Apr 17, 2019 9:04 AM
Apr 2019
Digital_Shiroi said:
Falcie_Gaiah said:

Anime was popular back then, but you can't deny the fact that it's more popular now as it easily got more accessible as technology advanced.

If you remove anime from the internet today and only make it accessible through DVD's like in the 90's, I'm pretty sure half of the anime watchers today will be gone, and only the most popular ones will get enough attention.

You get the point.

I never said it wasn't more popular now, I meant that people here make it seem like it was nonexistent. And you just took things out of context, if you removed anime from the internet today ofc it would lose watchers. But that's not the same situation as 20-30 years ago. If you wanted to emulate the same situation you'd have to remove all shows from the internet and go back to how things were.

If you only delete anime ofc people will watch other stuff, even the anime lovers, out of convenience. But if for some reason the internet died out, and the dvd's came back, people would buy them, because now the choice between anime and another thing would be equal just as it was back then.

The same situation happens with gaming tho, I played brood war when I was young, went to a few tourneys (I sucked, it was mostly for fun), and it was kinda big for that time, same with quakecon, the fgc etc. But most gamers act like eSports was only born after league of legends. Is it bigger now? ofc, the content is a click away, you don't even need to wait for it to download, you can watch or play directly through streaming. But these things weren't just born out of nowhere, it was a gradual process.
May 1, 2019 6:41 AM
Apr 2019
MaskOfIce said:
Because a lot of people on the site nowadays were born in the 90s, so they weren't that old in the early 2000s and likely weren't paying attention to it then, and nowadays it's generally harder to access compared to stuff that aired after the rise of streaming. Oh, and the discussion on those shows is long since dead, so there's less incentive to watch those shows compared to modern ones.

But if discussion on a show is dead that doesn't mean somebody can't start a discussion again ... =_=
May 1, 2019 2:06 PM

Jan 2016
ArminIchijouji said:
MaskOfIce said:
Because a lot of people on the site nowadays were born in the 90s, so they weren't that old in the early 2000s and likely weren't paying attention to it then, and nowadays it's generally harder to access compared to stuff that aired after the rise of streaming. Oh, and the discussion on those shows is long since dead, so there's less incentive to watch those shows compared to modern ones.

But if discussion on a show is dead that doesn't mean somebody can't start a discussion again ... =_=

You're right, somebody can start a discussion again. But it requires more effort as opposed to an airing show because you need to not only start the discussion, but also have other people who are interested in a similar time frame as you to have the discussion. With modern shows, other people are inherently interested at the same time whenever a new episode drops.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
May 4, 2019 9:04 AM

Apr 2014
sure it was made then, but when did the traffic start rolling in?
May 4, 2019 9:19 AM
Jul 2018
There were quite many shows on tv, but streamingsites haven't been that big. So the excess and diversity were limited. It's just more mainstream nowadays.
Tbh, I watched at this time most anime on youtube, but then I've watched everything I found. Sadly ...
May 4, 2019 9:32 AM

Oct 2013
Probably just don't appeal much to newer anime fans. I started out on early 2000's anime so never had that problem (not that I'm a 'newer fan').
I understand it though since I had a hard time getting into 90's anime.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Hottest character from any of your Anime Favorites OR Character Favorites? (profile)

IpreferEcchi - Apr 16

19 by IpreferEcchi »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - Yesterday

40 by Longnines »»
11 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

44 by iftsistrnn »»
16 minutes ago

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

16 by Ishitateso »»
16 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9046 by anime-prime »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.