Sponsored by kappazon lol

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Apr 16, 9:51 AM
Dafuq did I just watch?

Apr 16, 10:04 AM

Super quality production... weird, quirky, goofy context... kawaii boyz... inventive art style with lots of different animation styles... I had so much fun watchin this!

Also, the peggies on the ED is EXTRA FRESH.

Apr 16, 10:45 AM

I was watching with 'wtf' expression for the first part but when they started singing I lost it. The most strange thing I've seen so far.

Apr 16, 4:44 PM

I've been away from anime these past months... and when I just check how things are I find that Ikuhara is doing it again. I loved the episode, totally my shit. Loved penguindrum and this one is even weirder, and still makes some sense. Toadally awesome.

Apr 16, 6:35 PM
I am so confused as to what the hell I just watched but this was fantastic. LOL Also loved the animation style. Nice hearing The Peggies at the end.

Apr 16, 8:44 PM

Bunnybooboo2234 said:
Claptrap said:
Wonder if the main character is trans or just enjoys crossdressing. Not sure how Ikuhara wants to tackle that.

Anyway... definitely going to be a series heavy on the gay sex metaphors.

The main character clearly gave a reason for why he cross dresses. He doesn’t do it for his own enjoyment and was clearly ashamed of it. The episode revealed that his secret is that he cross dresses for his little brother who likes the idol Sara, as in he impersonates her for that reason and sends the pictures to him. He, as far as we know right now, is not trans. Being a cross dresser and transgender are two things that should not be conflated,

Just because he keeps it a secret and doesn't want people to know doesn't mean he doesn't do it for himself. There's still a lot of questions to be answered.

I'm just puzzled by why youre acting like this has a definite answer when it really doesn't.

Also, that's definitely not his little brother. We don't know how that girl is connected to him at all, actually

Apr 16, 8:59 PM
Claptrap said:
Bunnybooboo2234 said:

The main character clearly gave a reason for why he cross dresses. He doesn’t do it for his own enjoyment and was clearly ashamed of it. The episode revealed that his secret is that he cross dresses for his little brother who likes the idol Sara, as in he impersonates her for that reason and sends the pictures to him. He, as far as we know right now, is not trans. Being a cross dresser and transgender are two things that should not be conflated,

Just because he keeps it a secret and doesn't want people to know doesn't mean he doesn't do it for himself. There's still a lot of questions to be answered.

I'm just puzzled by why youre acting like this has a definite answer when it really doesn't.

Also, that's definitely not his little brother. We don't know how that girl is connected to him at all, actually

Modified by e_hoba, Apr 16, 9:20 PM

Apr 16, 9:06 PM

This was fucking genius. Gloriously-animated. Adore the ED especially.

Apr 16, 9:08 PM

big_Tortoise said:
MAPPA is back at again with some great shit given to us in a full course meal, with dessert to top it off

uninstallthegame said:
MAPPA sometimes does the wildest shit lmao

FWIW, the first episode was pretty much entirely by people from Lapintrack, and not the work of MAPPA.

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2019/04/12/sarazanmai-production-notes-01/

Apr 16, 9:22 PM

e_hoba said:
Claptrap said:

Oh? That's really interesting.

I'm surprised someone would drop that in a convo on here when it's not evident at all in the series so far though...

That said, though it's clear Kazuki's connection with the other person is important and connected to his performance, it's not really clear how Kazuki feels about his secret. Idk, I'm curious where they go with that.

Apr 16, 10:04 PM

The more I reflect on Kazuki and rewatch the episode, the more I do think he is just crossdressing for the other person. I'm... fascinated to learn more about that relationship.

That said, the episode has huge implications that Enta is gay for Kazuki and I'm guessing that's what we'll get in episode 2.

Including the soccer 'promise ring' that's in his box that he says is 'for Kazuki'.

The little kid Kazuki is trying to maintain a connection with is who he is pictured with in the OP. But who is Enta pictured with? Kazuki.

Enta is majorly pining. 'Golden duo', 'our bond is stronger than that', etc.

Also Toi has a gun in his box, which raises all sorts of questions.

Apr 16, 10:52 PM

I love this one lmao

Apr 17, 2:00 AM

Claptrap said:
The more I reflect on Kazuki and rewatch the episode, the more I do think he is just crossdressing for the other person. I'm... fascinated to learn more about that relationship.

That said, the episode has huge implications that Enta is gay for Kazuki and I'm guessing that's what we'll get in episode 2.

Including the soccer 'promise ring' that's in his box that he says is 'for Kazuki'.

The little kid Kazuki is trying to maintain a connection with is who he is pictured with in the OP. But who is Enta pictured with? Kazuki.

Enta is majorly pining. 'Golden duo', 'our bond is stronger than that', etc.

Also Toi has a gun in his box, which raises all sorts of questions.

Rewatch the OP.

The OP pretty much spoils you about what those characters are obsess with.

Kazuki obsessed with his little brother

Enta obsessed with Kazuki.

Ruler guy obsessed with his older brother.

Two polices are gay too maybe, who knows.

Apr 17, 2:17 AM
Was that rotoscoping at the beginning??

Apr 17, 5:11 AM

@ventus_s the two police guys are definitely gay. there's actually a whole manga about them raising a kid together

Apr 17, 9:35 AM
I.... What the hell did I just watch? And why am I suddenly forced to watch the whole series? I don't have a choice here I now have to watch the whole series

Apr 17, 11:56 AM
Don't know what I watched but I enjoyed it.

Apr 17, 1:27 PM
It's w i l d and I love it! Looking forward to next week's episode

Apr 18, 5:47 PM
That Keppi dude exhibited some top-notch slapstick comedy. Even him squeezing an entire character out of his butt was more enjoyable to watch than how it sounds out loud. Something like that would normally be played for gross-out humor, yet this appealed to me in a way I always knew I was interested in, but didn't know existed in real life.
As I type this I'm trying not to sound weird, and as I watched this pilot episode I had to become more comfortable by telling myself, "It's not a fetish if you're not turned on."

Apr 18, 8:30 PM

Finally watched it and... God, its weird, REALLY WEIRD but i LOVE it. I didn't remember the last time i was so excited to watch the next episode of an anime, but this one just amaze me
"𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒏, 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 π’Žπ’†"

Apr 19, 12:13 AM

GAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!

This is exactly what I was expecting from an Ikuhara show.

I actually stayed really near the area the show takes place in when I was in Tokyo, was somewhat surprised to see it as a backdrop.

Apr 19, 4:20 AM
Is this Gintama on crack?

I was not prepared for this oneπŸ˜‚

Apr 19, 10:37 AM
Cant they give dororo this level of animation too πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Apr 19, 12:38 PM
7.3, some people don't get good humor. xP

Apr 19, 2:50 PM
bubbles

i don't believe it. Ikuhara is doing Penguindrum again

what a fucking legend

Apr 19, 6:13 PM

Well I didn’t expect this series to be as weird as it is lol.
But it was enjoyable. I really love the amazing Mappa animation too. And the OP and ED are both pretty good. It’s strange but I’m looking forward to seeing more.

Apr 20, 4:24 AM

Wow! I got FLCL vibes from this. In the pure ridiculous hard to keep up nature and the overt sexual imagery. And if it's anything like FLCL then I can assume two things, that it's going to be fun enough to keep watching through the confusion and that the literal story won't matter that much. Instead it will be the meaning behind it and the characters. So, I won't stress the specifics too much, I never have in FLCL through all my countless rewatches!

Connections, desires, and lying, huh? Well the end of the episode was endearing to me and it made me really happy!

Apr 21, 12:28 AM

SUMIMASEN NANI THE FUCK

Apr 21, 3:41 AM

Reminds me of Mawaru penguin drum... they are related somehow?
Loved the first episode, willing for more :), also good animation problably the best of the season.

Apr 21, 4:11 AM

uninstallthegame said:
what the fuck did i just watch? holy fuck, the production value tho. and that ED was so good

MAPPA sometimes does the wildest shit lmao

Welcome to the Ikuhara mind fuck fam! where round panels, anus, lgbt and symbolisms are combined!

Apr 21, 1:05 PM

I regret my sole decision of watching this anime. And now I find myself engrossed in it. Yep, I'm simply broken.

Apr 21, 8:02 PM

Watched the first episode a while back and I was confused and amused by the craziness this anime displayed. The animation is stunning and the characters are weirdly well introduced.

Definitely one of the weirdest animes of the season.
Cartoons and anime is my reality.

Apr 21, 9:15 PM

Anonymous4321 said:

Where I didn't see anything that looked like it to me, no.

Apr 21, 9:16 PM

Kotoni__ said:
I really love the amazing Mappa animation too.

As I said above, it's not MAPPA's work.

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2019/04/12/sarazanmai-production-notes-01/

Apr 22, 5:13 AM
Orange-Boy Lover
I guess this is our 'surreal' anime for this season (be honest most of us are just watching for reo and mabu)

the OP is by one of my bands, no wonder I liked it so much. the ED is just a great too

Apr 22, 10:46 AM
kusoyatsu said:
I guess this is our 'surreal' anime for this season (be honest most of us are just watching for reo and mabu)

Ahah, I think you're right about Reo and Mabu but I like more the trio personally

Apr 22, 10:55 PM
Orange-Boy Lover

yeah! they're pretty cute

Apr 23, 5:12 AM

Anonymous4321 said:
I don't think it's rotoscoped. Not really important but that whole first sequence was done by Nobuyuki Takeuchi, a former SHAFT employee. That's why it has SHAFT-esque style.

Apr 23, 5:22 PM
YorukaWaifu said:
It's a shame to see Ikuhara selling himself to the fujoshis.

Yeah because no one is allowed to ever make a gay male character without selling themselves to that whole community who likes that sorta stuff.

Apr 24, 3:19 PM
Lily Gardener

All of Ikuhara anime can be explained in one sentence, "Ikuhara is a god."

Apr 25, 12:31 AM

Ventus_S said:
ibraheem234 said:
why are people liking this.... though animation was good... butt too much absurdness

Sums up Western general norms and majority of Mal users as a whole.

They don't accept anything unique and different , thus Hollywood always produce generic movies that try to play extremely safe.
Many JP studios too, try to produce generic genre (high-school dude go to isekai) storytelling and art-style in fear of audience not favouring it. (Not knowing this is what makes them mediocre to begin with lolz)

Also I expect the story to get dark/ serious in later half. This is exactly like Monogatari series I bet. Foreshadowing, symbolism, and lots of hidden meanings.

PS: Most of the absurdness in the show is base on Japanese mythology.
Most mythologies are absurd/ weird, or even creepy. This is true in almost every religion.

Absurd/weird as shit != good content. Not always at least. This show is honestly not that good. At least not yet. And if you think even a slight majority of western film is just Marvel Hollywood drivel, it shows how narrow your understanding of and exposure to film is. That’s just as absurd as claiming all Japanese media is just High School DxD ecchi/hentai shit (as you rightly pointed out regarding generic styles). Also, the monogatari series’ pseudointellectualism and hidden meanings are mediocre at best, and outright pedantic, pompous, and obnoxious at worst. These anime have great style at least, I’ll give them that.

Apr 25, 11:19 AM
disgusting. dropped

Apr 26, 8:29 PM

this is maybe too weird even for me. i'm not sure if i'll like it. i loved utena, liked penguindrum and yuri kuma, but i'm still not feeling this.

anyway, the animation and style in general is really good. and the ED sequence is wonderfully made. let's see how this goes.

Apr 29, 7:31 AM

Yea that was something ...weird i guess. For me it was just idiotic all around and not even remotely funny or entertaining to watch, easy drop.

Apr 29, 1:54 PM

An anime about kappas, oh.
Wait.
Wait what the heck did I just watch?

Apr 29, 4:29 PM
Switch_Z said:
Wait.

Yeah, that.
I mean, it was well animated, but what the hell?!
Not gonna lie, I think I *need* to watch more, if only because I have no clue what just happened. Also, butt stuff was in there for some reason.

Apr 29, 9:09 PM

So weird, must keep watching!
Sean The Magical Weeaboo!!!

Apr 30, 8:41 AM

linkoBrando said:
Switch_Z said:
Wait.

Yeah, that.
Not gonna lie, I think I *need* to watch more, if only because I have no clue what just happened. Also, butt stuff was in there for some reason.

I have so many questions lol

Apr 30, 5:07 PM
Switch_Z said:
linkoBrando said:

Yeah, that.

I have so many questions lol

Well, I did watch the other two episodes, and I guess it's pretty alright so far. Kinda going for an episodic, magical girl style thing, but with kappas who eat ass.

Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »