Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Sarazanmai Episode 1 Discussion

Apr 11, 9:13 PM
This is (hopefully not) going to be most underwatched of the season.

Probably the best first episode so far in the season.
Animation at some points was fucking incredible. Bravo MAPPA! Bravo Ikuhara!

Apr 11, 9:33 PM

Watched Utena: Good start but got dull, repetitive, and nonsensical near the end.
Watched Penguindrum: Never got into it and hated it.
Watched Kappa anal bead hunters: ...maybe I'll see where this goes.

Apr 11, 9:38 PM

Ikuhara, I love you

Apr 11, 9:39 PM
What did I witness with my virgin eyes? I enjoyed what I saw but I don’t really know what I saw. It was beautiful?

Apr 11, 10:02 PM

6-8 months ago it occurs to me the most recent thing I've seen directed by Kunihiko Ikuhara was yuri kuma arashi in 2012. Look him up on MAL and see he has a new series coming up next spring. Excited.
LOOOOOOOTS of things I've noticed, either that I can connect or that I don't understand, but that seem to be intentional. Based on my experience with Utena, and Penguindrum you have to pay close attention to what's going on.

From penguindrum, many, but not all, of the background characters are faceless figures
I know kero is like Ribbit but I don't see how three different kids mistook Keppi for a frog. Also, like in penguindrum, focus on an unusual animal or creature. I don't know what kappas are supposed to be in this series, other than that they're EVERYWHERE. I think they kidnap children? Like, be careful near the water or the kappa will drown you? Fitting for how Keppi acted.
-Dreams/secrets/desires; the title sounds to me like "I want to make friends/relate to people/be outgoing etc. but that requires sharing things about myself, being vulnerable, trusting others which is scary", and the show exaggerated the issue by having the boys' secrets revealed (though I didn't see any kind of realization or secret from Enta?)
-Boxes carry/hide things, I think it's intentional that the logo is a parody of Amazon.
-Multiple instances of the other kid waking up, finding himself in a different location
-Anal violation...I don't know what to make of that
-All those circles of the weasel looking creature made me think of the kamaitachi, another yokai, and the boys sort of imitate one to cut down the box monster but I don't know of it's another connection or just a cool fictional monster
-That little circle that looked very purposely like a wi-fi connection signal, and the multiple references/focus on smart phones

Not sure how everything fits together yet. Maybe a little concerned on whether 11 eps is long enough but I felt the same with Kuma Arashi and I'm not sure if that series needed more episodes to tell its story, it was just over quicker than the ones before it. Pretty excited to see where this one goes.

Apr 11, 10:04 PM

Wonder if the main character is trans or just enjoys crossdressing. Not sure how Ikuhara wants to tackle that.

Anyway... definitely going to be a series heavy on the gay sex metaphors.

Apr 11, 10:12 PM
plutodiplomat said:

-Dreams/secrets/desires; the title sounds to me like "I want to make friends/relate to people/be outgoing etc. but that requires sharing things about myself, being vulnerable, trusting others which is scary", and the show exaggerated the issue by having the boys' secrets revealed (though I didn't see any kind of realization or secret from Enta?)

I think it's that Kazuki was holding the shirokodama, so only one of his secrets was revealed. The fact that Enta sees Toi trying to steal that car is only incidental to seeing Kazuki's secret; it's not actually his secret. Kazuki already knew about that, after all.

As to what Toi and Enta's secrets are, I think we can maybe guess based on what is inside their boxes (although we only get a glimpse of what is inside Toi's).

Apr 11, 10:28 PM

Kyogreex said:

I think it's that Kazuki was holding the shirokodama, so only one of his secrets was revealed. The fact that Enta sees Toi trying to steal that car is only incidental to seeing Kazuki's secret; it's not actually his secret. Kazuki already knew about that, after all.

As to what Toi and Enta's secrets are, I think we can maybe guess based on what is inside their boxes (although we only get a glimpse of what is inside Toi's).

Ah, that makes sense. So much happening in that episode I didn't really make the connection of holding the shirikodama/secrets being exposed.

Other thoughts after scrolling through the forum:
I always have to see a few episodes before I really remember the op/ed but I remember Utena/penguindrum had some excellent themes so I hope this one will follow.
-Reading the wikipedia entry for kappas explained a few things like "sara" means dish, the place kappas store water on their heads, the verbal tic that kappa idol had.
"Analysis" Hee hee hee

Apr 11, 10:36 PM
Summimazen but whata fuck

Apr 11, 10:38 PM
I come to this series for the weirdness and i wasn't disappointed. this is confusing at first but i still enjoy it. the ending was really beautiful and well done. tho idk why, during the op i was picturing that kazuki was crossdressing and yes, he is. also i kinda get what kazuki has been saying this HOLE time about being connected to her. he probably meant his other identity as a girl but i dont knooo

Apr 11, 11:27 PM

Magical beast sucks the butts of young boys and condems them to an adventure of butt sucking, and full anal penetration. Hollywood will love this one, but I am dropping at at 15;22. The animation was very well done, but this just isn't my speed and thats great because I don't think I was the target audience. Nothing wrong with a little BL, but I definitely draw the line at anal vore. Enjoy this butt pumping kappa adventure, may it do.... yea whatever the hell its trying to do.

Apr 11, 11:52 PM
This shit wack. Didn't know what the fuck was going on the whole time.

Apr 12, 12:10 AM

What a great start.
Seeing, how energetic the first episode was, with all its individual quirks, I surely got caught off guard but hit on the right spot.
On top a beautiful ending, great visuals, from animation to color composition, and an immediate harmony to the protagonist's interaction, I'm in for the ride.
-----

Apr 12, 12:23 AM
This was brilliant! It was funny and weird, but it gave hints of a deeper story as well.

Sara was a boy this whole time. Now I am wondering how much of the spin off manga is Canon.

I wonder what the animators thought when they were animating the Oshiridama scene. For such a weird scene, it was so beautifully animated.

They started singing in the middle. Hahaha

I was sad that the live action background didn't appear as they had in the earlier promos. Well, the sadness disappeared when they appeared in the credits. The way they mixed live action backgrounds with anime characters was so beautiful.

I can't wait to know the police officers. I loved them in the spin off; hope they are equally fun here as well.

The music at the start (the one that appears in the promos as well)—paired with Murase Ayumu's voice—makes me feel kind of lonely.

Apr 12, 12:32 AM
FuMomo-kun said:

Sara was a boy this whole time. Now I am wondering how much of the spin off manga is Canon.

No, Kazuki just crossdressed as Sara there is still the real Sara. They have different eyes.

Apr 12, 12:38 AM

I am very confused and don't know what to say. Don't shoot me down, i think this is very weird.

Apr 12, 12:42 AM

Little_Nai said:
FuMomo-kun said:

No, Kazuki just crossdressed as Sara there is still the real Sara. They have different eyes.
And different VAs.

Apr 12, 12:54 AM
WHAT IN THE ACTUAL F***

WHAT THE HECK
WHAT IS THIS PLOT ?
DID THEY JUST CAME OUT OF THAT FROG ASS AND ACT LIKE NOTHING HAPPENED
DID THEY WENT INTO THE DUDE ASSHOLE
PROTAGONIST IS A TRAP!!!

Apr 12, 12:58 AM

Calling it now, this is gonna be the sleeper hit of the season.

I absolutely loved it. Ikuhara's always on top form. Out of everything he's made, this feels like it's going to resemble Yurikuma Arashi the most, and I'm down for that. How the hell is he going to outdo himself this time?

Apr 12, 1:27 AM

Apr 12, 1:30 AM
Muzacci said:
Little_Nai said:

And different VAs.

That really confused me. I had also noticed the different voice actors and drastically different eye brows,but the dialogues made it sound like Kazuki was Sara.

Apr 12, 1:41 AM

uninstallthegame said:
what the fuck did i just watch? holy fuck, the production value tho. and that ED was so good

MAPPA sometimes does the wildest shit lmao

It's Ikuhara, not Mappa. Aside from animation, of course. Aside from that, the Kappa thing is actually from the mythology... they do the ass thing there as well with the shirikodama

Apr 12, 1:48 AM

FuMomo-kun said:
Muzacci said:
And different VAs.

That really confused me. I had also noticed the different voice actors and drastically different eye brows,but the dialogues made it sound like Kazuki was Sara.
I believe they're a different person. Not sure why they changed the VA but it happens sometimes in Ikuhara's show, like in Utena.

Apr 12, 1:50 AM

These wikipedia articles will help you in a way
Kappa
Otter

Apr 12, 1:50 AM
This anime is surely a masterpiece of imagination, this gave me a good laugh and the animation is just incredible, i'm speechless. This might be one of the best animated shows of the year and a fan favorite for a long time. Wildest thing i've ever seen in anime.

Apr 12, 1:54 AM
Ikuhara-sensei is back once again with his original, over-the-top idea...about the kappas?

So many WTF plot points, but yet so much fun and enjoyment to watch, even at the premiere episode! So much imagination, laughter and accompaniment.

Can already foresee that this is gonna be underrated, but with Ikuhara and MAPPA? I'm dutifully sold.

Definitely a 100/10 episode, and to boot as well!

OP and ED are damn good as well.
Modified by KANLen09, Apr 12, 2:16 AM

Apr 12, 1:57 AM
君を笑いに来た

Been looking forward to this anime for a while, was not disappointed with the first episode. I just wish more people will end up watching it.

Apr 12, 2:10 AM

Fucken Ikuhara man, always does the craziest stuff.

I hope this show blows up in yaoi fan circles.
"The law doesn't protect people, people protect the law."

- Akane Tsunemori

Apr 12, 2:46 AM

Azrita said:
I would have enjoyed this so much more if the main characters weren't children. Not a fan of the pedo vibes tbh

Agreed.
I felt uncomfortable watching this, especially with my family in the same room (at least I had headphones on)

Apr 12, 2:48 AM
I love it. I hope it keeps getting even better. :D

Apr 12, 3:23 AM
The episode was a whole disaster chaotic, but i find it hilarious & enjoyable, will continue watching it.

Apr 12, 3:33 AM

Wth did i just watch, i'm legit speechless ...

Apr 12, 3:38 AM
Hug Addict <3

Great, another what the actual fuck am I watching Ikuhara anime

Oh boy

A cuddle a day keeps the pouting away~
Hit me up if you want someone to flirt with for a bit ^^
"Holding hands is just the first step to getting pregnant"

Apr 12, 4:39 AM

WOW! this show is very different in a good way!
i thought this was from SHAFT but apparently its from MAPPA!
a lot of symbolism huh...shout-out to Ikuhara haha
KANA-BOON for the OP and the peggies for the ED was an excellent choice!
5/5.

Apr 12, 5:19 AM
I can't fully decipher the "A" symbolism just from episode 1.

ai/love, anus, Asakusa (location setting), Azumabashi (the bridge)...

The four slogans in the news show apparently say
sekai no chushin de Ai wo sakenda kemono/ the beast that shouted Love at the heart of the world
Aite atte no jibun/ we can't live without Others
but I didn't get the other two, "kokoro kara a- o shinjinasai" and "a- o gojiyu ni goran kudasai"

Apr 12, 5:35 AM

Okay so I just want to get out my thoughts on this!

I found the episode to be super enjoyable and I definitely like it so far.

From what I got out of the episode the MC is crossdressing as the popular idol shown on TV.
At the end of the episode we can see a rarer smallish girl that is looking at her text messages.
These text messages were actually from the MC as they were the selfies he took prior on that day!
So him saying he wants to be connected to 'her' doesn't refer to the idol but to the girl with the smartphone. She could be his sister which wouldn't surprise me as there is usually a pinch of incest in Ikuharas works. xD

We already saw what was physically in Glasses-boys box. It was the foot bracelet that the MC wears at the start of the show.
I think that the start of the show where MC is seen running through some streets is actually not the start but sth that will happen in the middle or the end of the story because he has some kind of flashback which has stuff in it that didn't happen yet.
So the bracelet is definitely for him I mean Glasses-boy also said that to his sister so it's pretty much confirmed.

Maybe that's some kind of metaphor for his feelings for him? A one-sided crush that he is too afraid to act upon. Would make sense with all the gay vibes :D

Apr 12, 5:47 AM

Well, that was an interesting start. Good ED.

Apr 12, 6:05 AM

Yeap, Japan doing the Japan thing again.... When you think that the anime can't be even more wft we are getting this "thing" right here..

OH BOY THIS GONNA BE GOOOOOOD!

PS:
This is the level on animation that I was hoping to see in OPM S2 ;(

Apr 12, 6:24 AM

The opening reminds me a bit of ''Your Name.'' Ö_Ö

Apr 12, 6:41 AM

e_hoba said:
I can't fully decipher the "A" symbolism just from episode 1.

ai/love, anus, Asakusa (location setting), Azumabashi (the bridge)...

The four slogans in the news show apparently say
sekai no chushin de Ai wo sakenda kemono/ the beast that shouted Love at the heart of the world
Aite atte no jibun/ we can't live without Others
but I didn't get the other two, "kokoro kara a- o shinjinasai" and "a- o gojiyu ni goran kudasai"
We know the Otter sign is for the Otter clan, so I figured this out

Apr 12, 6:55 AM

If you're into vore or TF watch this.

That is all.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"

Apr 12, 7:24 AM

I mean, probably people can tell from my signature that I was already ready and waiting for this one. (Although I still need to see Penguindrum. More than ever, now.)

Some observations:
- An alternate name for kappa roughly translates to 'otter'
-which is also a kind of person in gay subculture I think but that's probably just the West
- 'Sara' as the name of the kappa's dish, the idol ending her sentences with 'dish'
- The scrolling text at the bottom of her show begins with 'normal people can't see this' which is both a freeze frame bonus and makes me think of the spirit world vision later in the ep
- the freaking cucumbers have me laughing like a 12 year old, combine that with the anus thing and of course kappas are the main image of this show
- MC's soccer friend is definitely in love with him, I predict a 'ball(s)'-themed episode later
- also is soccer dude's sister the teacher? they had a similar look but it went by fast
- god those transformation scenes are...visceral, I don't remember Yuri Kuma being quite this Much
- "It's your fault for having a secret that can get you in trouble!" Ikuhara, fighting homophobia one fucked up premise at a time
- Ok that twist has me sold. Not like I wasn't already. But it absolutely stuck the landing in every way. I wonder what makes him want to connect to Sara specifically, or if it's connecting to femininity/maybe being female?
- Or it's just a reference to that time Ikuhara cosplayed as Sailor Mars and gave no fucks, idk.

And now I can't wait for next week.

Apr 12, 7:25 AM

the animation was cool but...this is too weird for me...
"Gradually Watermelon"

Apr 12, 7:58 AM

I thought this will be good but it's awful :(.

Apr 12, 9:10 AM

I don't care how many layers of deep symbolism are in this, they can not make me call this good while I'm sober...

Apr 12, 9:53 AM

Awesome animation, the quality makes it look like a movie. I like the characters mixed with real life cityscape, also an apparent diorama of a shintoist portal they enter during the episode. Interesting story (with over the top anus jokes xD), I'm excited to learn more about these characters.

Apr 12, 10:44 AM
Hitagi's Pet

Ikuhara you magnificent bastard you! Once again you go completely your own way and do something that no one else would even contemplate doing. Bravo.

And boy does it look gorgeous. It's so shiny. The colours just popped out of the screen like no other tv series can.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 12, 10:49 AM
NEET生活だぜ!

A lot of comments (many of them negative) about the shirikodama (尻子玉). This is not something that Ikuhara invented. The shirikodama has been around since at least the Edo Period as part of the folklore regarding kappas. Other anime series have also mentioned the shirikodama before, with Gegege no Kitarou being one notable example.

birdiverse said:
crossdressing middle schoolers
talking frogs
ass juice

enough said. 10/10

I like the way you think. :) But seriously... you should know after watching this episode to never call a kappa a frog!

Mayuka said:
Yoruka-Waifu said:
It's a shame to see Ikuhara selling himself to the fujoshis.
oh damn when was i catered?

I was wondering that myself. I saw no sex, no kissing, no handholding, not even flirting. (Maybe a yearning glance?)

Claptrap said:
Wonder if the main character is trans or just enjoys crossdressing. Not sure how Ikuhara wants to tackle that.

I applaud you for making a distinction between the two. Most people don't see a difference. I think he's probably crossdressing, not trans, especially considering that he seems to be doing it to "maintain a connection" with a younger girl who evidently believes she is chatting with the real Asakusa Sara.

merutan said:
We already saw what was physically in Glasses-boys box. It was the foot bracelet that the MC wears at the start of the show.

I would disagree. The item in Enta's box was a "promise ring" (according to the packaging), though it does look like an ankle bracelet. However, Kazuki's ankle bracelet is blue with yellow, and the item in Enta's box is red with green. Perhaps Enta bought it so that he would "match" with Kazuki.

indiglow said:
- 'Sara' as the name of the kappa's dish, the idol ending her sentences with 'dish'
Sara (皿) is the general word for "dish, helping or plate", as in "Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara" ("Third Dish").

Apr 12, 10:51 AM
It was so fun and at some point it got a little disgusting but I still loved it (≧∇≦)

Apr 12, 12:35 PM

Honestly, I think everything about this show is fantastic even though it some weird parts but I really enjoy for the most part!

✗ ✗ ✗ ✗
百個のハートでも、君を愛しているというのは表現しつくせない。
Hya-kko no hāto demo, kimi o aishite iru to iu no wa hyōgen shi tsukusenai.

Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »