Forum Settings
Forums

What exactly about opposite sex anime characters appeals a lot to you?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 11, 2019 3:03 PM

Mar 2018
nonbinary fella here, so ill go with both.

for guys, i go with either Angey Boys who have good motives or smart/elegant/fancy boys. if they look like they should be voiced by j michael tatum in a dub, thats probably for me. also a Big big fan of neutral good, self destructive boys.

girls are a bit more complicated. probably ones that are willing to take charge and are able to fend for themselves. if theyre jacked, i thats bonus points. i cant stand it if a character just sorta sits to the side and doesnt do anything to help, choosing to be cute and helpless instead. its kind of annoying
Apr 11, 2019 3:17 PM
Oct 2018
All the fucking virgins on this site geeze!
Talking avout respecting the indidviual characters.MF the thing we look for is a dreamgirl. Cute when she needs to be caring when she needs to be and tsun to show that she cares. Big tiddies is a +
----------------------------------------
REM
Apr 11, 2019 3:25 PM

Dec 2013
Unsurprisingly even with 2D it comes down to the personality. Anime bishies are a dime in a dozen, so that's generally the only way they can stick out.
Apr 11, 2019 3:33 PM
Jul 2018
Female here.
I like characters for different reasons. I'll just go though and briefly state the appeal of my faves.
1. Reigen, Makes me laugh.
2. Tendou, Crazy ginger who is also a sweet boy.
3. Akutagawa, Edgelord of my dreams.
4. Aizawa, tired, sexy dad is tired.
5. Levi, everything.
6. Haiji, best boy, best boy, best boy.
7. Tsukishima, salt salt salt, also glasses.
8. Dororo, best girl, best girl, best girl.
9. Yut Lung Lee, Slimy fuck boy snake of my dreams.
10. Numata, makes me laugh.
Apr 11, 2019 4:54 PM
Jul 2018
Ryuk9428 said:
HopefulNihilist said:
Well you see, unlike shitty 3D actual girls, anime girls:

1) Are confident
2) Are attractive
3) Don't have resting bitch face
4) Are actually willing to initiate the conversation
5) Smile
6) Don't do drugs
7) Flirt
8) Don't ignore you

The problem with shitty 3D actual girls is that the attractive ones have unattractive personalities, and the ones with attractive personalities, have unattractive appearances.

I consider an anime girl to be waifu material if she's:

1) Tall
2) Long haired
3) Sweet
4) Strong
5) Independent (as in has her own dreams and such that are independent from the main love interest)
6) Kind
7) Sexy (in appearance and personality)

I hate tsunderes (except for Rin and Kurisu). Deredere girls are too sweet, to a point where they're kinda annoying.

I can't stand that tsundere types think its okay to beat a guy up for stupid reasons. Its not cute, a girl acting that way in real life would be considered psychotic.

How can a girl's sweetness be annoying? Extreme sweetness is cute.

I mean, I get what you mean, but too much sweetness with no coolness can feel like...too much sugar, to come up with a simile.
Apr 11, 2019 5:15 PM

Mar 2019
Maenads said:
1. Male

2. Cuteness is really all that matters. I'm not looking for a gf/wife in a cartoon, so I don't really care about talent, or wealth, or combat ability (lol) or whatever else. I do have a weakness for quirky girls though, and an unhealthy attraction to "damaged goods" XD kill me now

Most of what I like in a character has nothing to do with romantic or sexual appeal, and so the gender of the character doesn't matter. I am much more interested in how characters interact with each other and with the world around them. A well fleshed out character in a good story is better than any waifu nonsense, as far as I am concerned.

I like Haruka Takayama a lot too, I think she's adorable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2019 12:08 PM

Mar 2018
they make me pp very super hard (OwO)
吃屁股
Apr 13, 2019 3:18 PM

Mar 2017
IpreferEcchi said:
You can see everyone's gender in their profile.

2D girls aren't feminazis and they care about their figure.

Lmao. Wow. Just wow.

Are you sure you didn't mean, "2D girls don't recoil from me in unrestrained disgust for being a misogynistic bag of turds?"

Also, gotta give points to OP for immediately excluding everyone interested in characters of the same sex. Keep those homophobic microaggression coming.

I like anime boys because they don't post topics like this. :P
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider
Apr 13, 2019 3:41 PM

Oct 2010
I'm a male and female characters are just more interesting and fun to watch a lot of the time. They often are more expressive emotionally speaking, and it's funny because even in the case where their personalities are made with some fetish in mind they are still personalities that feel often more lively and sympathetic than a bland hero or a self-insert. Character quirks, no matter why they are brought, can make a character interesting and entertaining.

Not that there aren't many excellent male characters, though.
Apr 13, 2019 4:47 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Iunno, I've been attracted to cartoon characters and fictional characters over real people in this way for a long time now, even before I got into anime, and I'm perfectly fine with that. It's just that it's compounded with my heterosexuality that makes it towards the opposite sex. Of course I'm going to pay more attention to them whenever I'm emphasizing them like that.

And yeah, of course there are personality traits I find more attractive than others. Like, that isn't even just in the realm of finding them hot or something. Personally, really bubbly, positive and open traits appeal to me a lot more than cynical ones, deadpan ones, or quiet ones. I'm more likely to find a female character with the aforementioned traits more appealing than a male character with them, even if I do end up liking the male character quite a bit. That's how some of these things work for me, I guess - just like there's stuff that plays on equal footing, like when they come off as very willfull and possess the mental strength needed to try to trudge through the mud and the blood to the green fields beyond, and there's stuff I find more appealing in male characters over female ones, like level-headedness and loyalty.

So yeah, it isn't something so simple as whether or not I find a female character more appealing than a male one. Obviously, I tend to like female characters a lot more when it comes to anime, but it isn't so black and white to where I feel like taking a trait that I appreciate in someone and giving it tits and a vag is going to make it an inherently better character. Inherently more sexually appealing to me, sure, and I don't see that as something worth dismissing, but not necessarily beyond that.
ManabanApr 13, 2019 5:00 PM

Apr 13, 2019 5:53 PM

Mar 2019
InkSpider said:
IpreferEcchi said:
You can see everyone's gender in their profile.

2D girls aren't feminazis and they care about their figure.

Lmao. Wow. Just wow.

Are you sure you didn't mean, "2D girls don't recoil from me in unrestrained disgust for being a misogynistic bag of turds?"

Also, gotta give points to OP for immediately excluding everyone interested in characters of the same sex. Keep those homophobic microaggression coming.

Stuff like this is exactly what he was talking about.

I haven't even been here that long and all I ever see you do is post typical aggressive SJW crap.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2019 5:57 PM

Mar 2019
Manaban said:
Iunno, I've been attracted to cartoon characters and fictional characters over real people in this way for a long time now, even before I got into anime, and I'm perfectly fine with that. It's just that it's compounded with my heterosexuality that makes it towards the opposite sex. Of course I'm going to pay more attention to them whenever I'm emphasizing them like that.

And yeah, of course there are personality traits I find more attractive than others. Like, that isn't even just in the realm of finding them hot or something. Personally, really bubbly, positive and open traits appeal to me a lot more than cynical ones, deadpan ones, or quiet ones. I'm more likely to find a female character with the aforementioned traits more appealing than a male character with them, even if I do end up liking the male character quite a bit. That's how some of these things work for me, I guess - just like there's stuff that plays on equal footing, like when they come off as very willfull and possess the mental strength needed to try to trudge through the mud and the blood to the green fields beyond, and there's stuff I find more appealing in male characters over female ones, like level-headedness and loyalty.

So yeah, it isn't something so simple as whether or not I find a female character more appealing than a male one. Obviously, I tend to like female characters a lot more when it comes to anime, but it isn't so black and white to where I feel like taking a trait that I appreciate in someone and giving it tits and a vag is going to make it an inherently better character. Inherently more sexually appealing to me, sure, and I don't see that as something worth dismissing, but not necessarily beyond that.

I like the same personality traits in female characters as male characters. But if I see those traits in a male character its more like a simple admiration for them and a feeling of being able to relate to them whereas seeing those traits in a female character makes me have a crush on them and wish they were my girlfriend. Sometimes I like certain characters just because of how they propel the story though and wouldn't necessarily like a person like that in real life.
Apr 13, 2019 6:31 PM

Mar 2015
Female

I really like tsunderes and dorky guys. There's also Hoozuki, not sure how to describe him.
woah there
Apr 13, 2019 6:40 PM

Jan 2017
Catalano said:
An hourglass figure and being handy with knives. That's it.
Knives aye? I mean, whatever floats your boat man.
Apr 13, 2019 6:48 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Ryuk9428 said:
Manaban said:

I like the same personality traits in female characters as male characters. But if I see those traits in a male character its more like a simple admiration for them and a feeling of being able to relate to them whereas seeing those traits in a female character makes me have a crush on them and wish they were my girlfriend. Sometimes I like certain characters just because of how they propel the story though and wouldn't necessarily like a person like that in real life.

I don't even think I factor in how much I can relate to them that much. I feel like it's there, but I also feel like I don't need to see myself in a character to like them or appreciate them. I just like seeing traits that I find admirable and like to be around, or even aspire to possess myself to some degree.

Like, look at it this way - I respond really positively to characters that possess physical fighting prowess, that are able to dish it out as well as take it. I like these traits because of that aspiration I have, to be able to fight and better myself in terms of this as much as I can. I admire this regardless of how much I relate to them, or variables such as gender or fighting style. But I don't respond as strongly to these traits whenever it's a female, or whenever it's a super hero, or whenever it's a martial artist or boxer. That's kind of when how much I relate comes into the picture - some really fucking raw, untrained fighting ability that can throw a strong as hell right cross or lose a few teeth and not give a fuck. Some ratty ass guy who wouldn't fit in playing the role of the martial artist or the boxer. Something not graceful or technical or super powered, just having that ability to throw a sheer fucking punch. I respond more strongly to those traits in these instances when it comes to media. That sort of toughness is what I find myself admiring the most. And yeah - I see myself as a ratty fucking guy in real life, and I respond best when the person displaying that sort of thing is something like I can see myself as also being like.

Or it's why I respond so much more strongly to Kaiji than I do a lot of works - it isn't that I see myself in Kaiji 1:1 like "hurr muh self-insert," but I feel like I fucking get it, the struggle of just trying not be a total fuck-up, like that's within my identity and range. I also see a lot of admirable shit in the character of Kaiji, just in general, and that combination compounded with the other elements, like the series' ability to build tension via the gambling games and how much Kaiji's narrative really lets the strengths of his character flourish, is why Kaiji ended up being my favorite male character in anime.

There's things I feel like I respond to in equal measure that also fall into an ideal, regardless of things like how much I relate, though. When I see somebody be a really fucking good parent, for instance - it could be a super hero, it could be a man, it could be a woman, it could be a fuckin' zebra, whoever the fuck. So long as they'd fight like hell for their kid, but also not let their kids to grow up to be complete and utter shitheads who fuck around with old people on the bus and are convinced that they can get away with everything. I admire that immensely in a character. Being able to have a firm foot in the ground while still being willing to go through the mud and the blood to help their child. But that's also aspiration - I want to be able to be a parent that fits that ideal. I want to be a good parent some day, and to do my kids right. But I've found that, in all of media, the strength at which I respond to this trait in a character is really fucking neutral of how much I relate to said character. The elements that tie back into myself as an individual somehow play almost no factor, so long as that trait is there, I can respond with equal strength to displays of that trait.

But then there's like, females - I respond really strongly to stuff like being bubbly, being positive, and being open and generally quite happy. I don't respond with nearly the same strength to those traits in a male character like I do with female ones. And I think it's because of how I feel myself to be temperamental, defensive, confrontational, and quick to be ready to take things as a slight. I feel like I have a chip on my shoulder that follows me around, that I always want to be ready to fucking fight everything. And, yeah, I want to be able to fight like I said in that example I gave earlier, but I don't want to be some guy who goes around blowing up at everyone and trying to push people around, and I do feel like that sometimes. Whenever there's a female character that possesses so much less aggression than I possess, and is just generally positive and open and happy, I respond more strongly. And I do believe that factors like my sexual orientation play into why I respond more strongly to these traits in females, sure, but also that it plays far less into my own personal ideal image of myself and the type of guy I want to be like - or even just seeing some ratty fuck that I relate to strive for shit I interpret to be aligned as opposed to being an outright ideal - and that it plays more into my self-criticisms, the shit I *don't* like about myself and how they can be a counterbalance to these things.

It's just also never been about the technicalities to me. "How much personality do they have, how are they characterized, are they fleshed out, are they bland" et cetera. I feel like I can, at the very least, tolerate a wide range of traits, even if they might rub me the wrong way initially, but also that how I'm interacting with the work and the characters in question as an individual consumer is going to play into my responses much more heavily than just the character possessing traits or being relatable or being some thematic representation or whatever. So Iunno - I just think how much I relate is more of an extension of myself that effects response *strength* more than whether the response is good or bad or anything of that nature, and that leads to the kind of variables that cause me to prefer some traits in male characters, some traits in female characters, and how I still view some traits with a sense of neutrality.
ManabanApr 13, 2019 7:09 PM

Apr 13, 2019 7:07 PM

Mar 2019
Manaban said:
Ryuk9428 said:

I don't even think I factor in how much I can relate to them that much. I feel like it's there, but I also feel like I don't need to see myself in a character to like them or appreciate them. I just like seeing traits that I find admirable and like to be around, or even aspire to possess myself to some degree.

Like, look at it this way - I respond really positively to characters that possess physical fighting prowess, that are able to dish it out as well as take it. I like these traits because of that aspiration I have, to be able to fight and better myself in terms of this as much as I can. I admire this regardless of how much I relate to them, or variables such as gender or fighting style. But I don't respond as strongly to these traits whenever it's a female, or whenever it's a super hero, or whenever it's a martial artist or boxer. That's kind of when how much I relate comes into the picture - some really fucking raw, untrained fighting ability that can throw a strong as hell right cross or lose a few teeth and not give a fuck. Some ratty ass guy who wouldn't fit in playing the role of the martial artist or the boxer. Something not graceful or technical or super powered, just having that ability to throw a sheer fucking punch. I respond more strongly to those traits in these instances when it comes to media. That sort of toughness is what I find myself admiring the most. And yeah - I see myself as a ratty fucking guy in real life, and I respond best when the person displaying that sort of thing is something like I can see myself as also being like.

Or it's why I respond so much more strongly to Kaiji than I do a lot of works - it isn't that I see myself in Kaiji, but I feel like I fucking get it, like that's within my identity and range. I also see a lot of admirable shit in the character of Kaiji, just in general, and that combination compounded with the other elements, like the series' ability to build tension via the gambling games and how much Kaiji's narrative really lets the strengths of his character flourish, is why Kaiji is my favorite male character in anime.

There's things I feel like I respond to in equal measure that also fall into an ideal, regardless of things like how much I relate, though. When I see somebody be a really fucking good parent, for instance - it could be a super hero, it could be a man, it could be a woman, it could be whoever the fuck. So long as they'd fight like hell for their kid, but also not let their kids to grow up to be complete and utter shitheads who fuck around with old people on the bus and are convinced that they can get away with everything. I admire that immensely in a character. Being able to have a firm foot in the ground while still being willing to go through the mud and the blood to help their child. But that's also aspiration - I want to be able to be a parent that fits that ideal. I want to be a good parent some day, and to do my kids right. But I've found that, in all of media, the strength at which I respond to this trait in a character is really fucking neutral of how much I relate to said character.

But then there's like, females - I respond really strongly to stuff like being bubbly, being positive, and being open and generally quite happy. I don't respond with nearly the same strength to those traits in a male character like I do with female ones. And I think it's because of how I feel myself to be temperamental, defensive, confrontational, and quick to be ready to take things as a slight. I feel like I have a chip on my shoulder that follows me around, that I always want to be ready to fucking fight everything. And, yeah, I want to be able to fight like I said in that example I gave earlier, but I don't want to be some guy who goes around blowing up at everyone and trying to push people around, and I do feel like that sometimes. Whenever there's a female character that possesses so much less aggression than I possess, and is just generally positive and open and happy, I respond more strongly. And I do believe that factors like my sexual orientation play into why I respond more strongly to these traits in females, sure, but also that it plays far less into my own personal ideal image of myself and the type of guy I want to be like - or even just seeing some ratty fuck that I relate to strive for shit I interpret to be aligned as opposed to being an outright ideal - and that it plays more into my self-criticisms, the shit I *don't* like about myself and how they can be a counterbalance to these things.

It's just also never been about the technicalities to me. "How much personality do they have, how are they characterized, are they fleshed out, are they bland" et cetera. I feel like I can, at the very least, tolerate a wide range of traits, even if they might rub me the wrong way initially, but also that how I'm interacting with the work and the characters in question as an individual consumer is going to play into my responses much more heavily than just the character possessing traits or being relatable or being some thematic representation or whatever. So Iunno - I just think how much I relate is more of an extension of myself that effects response *strength* more than whether the response is good or bad or anything of that nature, and that leads to the kind of variables that cause me to prefer some traits in male characters, some traits in female characters, and how I still view some traits with a sense of neutrality.

Why do you feel such an urge to fight people though? For the most part, its an unnecessary skill in modern society. Do you think this is maybe a trait of yours you should work on? Maybe a positive role model for you could be a character who has found out a way to release the anger he's had pent up inside of him and become a more positive person.

I can relate to strongly admiring a good, protective parent character though. I hope to be a good parent myself when I have a family.

I can find characters interesting who I don't necessarily relate to. Xin from Kingdom for example, I don't really relate to his personality that well but I think he is a very interesting character and I still root for him to achieve his goals.
Apr 13, 2019 7:16 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Ryuk9428 said:

Why do you feel such an urge to fight people though? For the most part, its an unnecessary skill in modern society. Do you think this is maybe a trait of yours you should work on? Maybe a positive role model for you could be a character who has found out a way to release the anger he's had pent up inside of him and become a more positive person.

I feel like you're not getting what I was wanting to say with that ._.

It isn't that I want to go around just decking everybody in fits of pure rage, if anything I kind of already view my temper as a bad aspect of myself and even noted it in that post, but that I want to be a good fucking fighter. I don't want to feel like I can't back myself up if I feel some shit really needs to be done about something and words end up failing, or if I need to protect something, or if I need to stand up for myself, I'd be able to do so with ease. It comes off like you make it sound like I want that out of a desire to just commit wanton assault, and I don't think that's the case whatsoever ._.

Ryuk9428 said:

I can find characters interesting who I don't necessarily relate to. Xin from Kingdom for example, I don't really relate to his personality that well but I think he is a very interesting character and I still root for him to achieve his goals.

I mean, yeah, I don't need to relate to them to like them or latch onto a character either. I can get invested in shit I don't relate to at all, but I feel like it can strongly influence the strength of my reactions. That's kind of something I tried to touch on in that post and all.

It's just that I'm not going to pretend personal biases like that aren't a thing, I guess. Like, two characters can both be agreed by me and another person I'm having a discussion with to be excellently written, but we both like one moreso than the other. I can try to remove myself from the equation to talk about shit like this to compare and contrast the two, but at the end of the day, if the sort of shit I talked about in my post plays a factor with one and doesn't with the other, I'm going to like the character that falls into that a whole lot more and that isn't the sort of thing they'd be able to convince me to really change.
ManabanApr 13, 2019 7:21 PM

Apr 13, 2019 7:23 PM

Mar 2019
Manaban said:
Ryuk9428 said:

I feel like you're not getting what I was wanting to say with that ._.

It isn't that I want to go around just decking everybody in fits of pure rage, if anything I kind of already view my temper as a bad aspect of myself and even noted it in that post, but that I want to be a good fucking fighter. I don't want to feel like I can't back myself up if I feel some shit really needs to be done about something and words end up failing, or if I need to protect something, or if I need to stand up for myself. It comes off like you make it sound like I want that out of a desire to just commit wanton assault, and I don't think that's the case whatsoever ._.

Ryuk9428 said:

I mean, yeah, I don't need to relate to them to like them or latch onto a character either. I can get invested in shit I don't relate to at all, but I feel like it can strongly influence the strength of my reactions. That's kind of something I tried to touch on in that post and all.

It's just that I'm not going to pretend personal biases like that aren't a thing, I guess. Two characters can both be agreed by me and another person to be excellently written, but we both like one moreso than the other. I can try to remove myself from the equation to talk about shit like this to compare and contrast the two, but at the end of the day, if the sort of shit I talked about in my post plays a factor with one and doesn't with the other, I'm going to like the character that falls into that a whole lot more.

Well that was a pretty funny way of putting it lol.

Personal biases absolutely have something to do with which characters you like. Sometimes I go into a show expecting to not be able to relate to any of the characters and that makes me enjoy a show more than if, for example, I watch a slice of life comedy with no relatable characters where I would expect the show to have a character I can like.
Apr 13, 2019 7:32 PM

Nov 2017
I love all my waifus for different reasons
Apr 13, 2019 8:52 PM

Mar 2019
i mean

what is there not to love?

on god

they're all precious
Apr 13, 2019 11:34 PM

Nov 2013
Oriionx said:
they make me pp very super hard (OwO)
Personally, I get engaged by anything with a rich plot.
Apr 14, 2019 5:56 AM

Jul 2012
I'm f

For husbandos I really like the whole friend-of-the-protagonist trope, the one that doesn't get the girl in shoujos that look like they'd really care for you and have bright, happy personalities (being blond is a plus).

For waifus usually the ones with a little bit of princess complex, I just find them adorable and also some deredere types. Tsun is not my thing at all
Apr 14, 2019 11:14 AM

Mar 2017
Ryuk9428 said:
InkSpider said:

Lmao. Wow. Just wow.

I haven't even been here that long and all I ever see you do is post typical aggressive SJW crap.

Tell ya what. I don't generally continue taking people seriously after they use the term SJW unironically, but I'm going to try to politely explain why this thread and Mr. Ecchi Fan annoy me.

1. The use of the term feminazi- Comparing feminists to nazis is both inaccurate and insulting. Feminists do not advocate for the systematic extermination of ethnic minorities or gay people. It's nothing but a memetic variation on Godwin's law, and no one with any grasp on what feminism actually is will use that term, and at this point, I can really only attribute this misunderstanding to willful ignorance. It's not as if its hard to find a feminist explaining what feminism is if you're actually interested in that.

2. The comparison between the figures of anime characters and actual human beings inflicts an expectation on women that it is not even biologically feasible for them to meet, because actual human beings are not draw onto pages, and thus have to deal with things like 'anatomy' and 'gravity'. This is why there are remarkably few women in the real world who are post-skinny and have DD breasts. Further, this is reinforcing the idea already wide-spread in our culture that women who are less conventionally attractive are less valuable as people. I'm already irritated with the anime trope of the girl who is practically anemic but is still somehow worried about getting fat as it is, and the fact that no one seems to grasp that being underweight is as potentially dangerous as being overweight whenever the 'I'm just concerned about your health!' argument gets trotted out to shame women who aren't even medically overweight.

3. Forming a topic specifically geared towards talking about characters of opposite sex is essentially hanging a 'No Gays Allowed' sign on your discussion. I'm not sure if this was deliberate on OP's part of if he just forgot that gay people exist (as straight folk are so often wont to do), but in either case it's not very polite towards gay people.

Hope you'll actually give these points some consideration and not reflexively jump to trying to disprove them.
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

Apr 14, 2019 11:41 AM

Sep 2018
In terms of looks they tend to look rather flawless. Also, I like bubbly character personalities.
Apr 14, 2019 12:24 PM

Mar 2019
InkSpider said:
Ryuk9428 said:

Tell ya what. I don't generally continue taking people seriously after they use the term SJW unironically, but I'm going to try to politely explain why this thread and Mr. Ecchi Fan annoy me.

1. The use of the term feminazi- Comparing feminists to nazis is both inaccurate and insulting. Feminists do not advocate for the systematic extermination of ethnic minorities or gay people. It's nothing but a memetic variation on Godwin's law, and no one with any grasp on what feminism actually is will use that term, and at this point, I can really only attribute this misunderstanding to willful ignorance. It's not as if its hard to find a feminist explaining what feminism is if you're actually interested in that.

2. The comparison between the figures of anime characters and actual human beings inflicts an expectation on women that it is not even biologically feasible for them to meet, because actual human beings are not draw onto pages, and thus have to deal with things like 'anatomy' and 'gravity'. This is why there are remarkably few women in the real world who are post-skinny and have DD breasts. Further, this is reinforcing the idea already wide-spread in our culture that women who are less conventionally attractive are less valuable as people. I'm already irritated with the anime trope of the girl who is practically anemic but is still somehow worried about getting fat as it is, and the fact that no one seems to grasp that being underweight is as potentially dangerous as being overweight whenever the 'I'm just concerned about your health!' argument gets trotted out to shame women who aren't even medically overweight.

3. Forming a topic specifically geared towards talking about characters of opposite sex is essentially hanging a 'No Gays Allowed' sign on your discussion. I'm not sure if this was deliberate on OP's part of if he just forgot that gay people exist (as straight folk are so often wont to do), but in either case it's not very polite towards gay people.

Hope you'll actually give these points some consideration and not reflexively jump to trying to disprove them.

1. I wouldn't be so sure that some feminists don't want to exterminate the male species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCUM_Manifesto

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e6/7a/0e/e67a0ec4ac4e0cd8f587c99bac9ef65f.jpg

Obviously extreme examples but the term is a reaction based on a widespread perception among many guys that most feminists hate them, many of whom are less radical than Solanas but still seem to despise men. Whatever the movement may have been about in 1918, starting around the late 60s or early 70s it has evolved to the point where it primarily seems to be a hate movement that isn't recognized as such. I've seen feminists online try to justify women cheating on their husbands because "monogamy is oppression," celebrating divorce, families being broken up, all sorts of things that lead a lot of men to logically conclude that a lot of feminists just hate men and resent women who feel a natural sense of affection towards men.

The funny thing is that I actually agree with feminists on some things. I also hate creepy guys who send unsolicited dick pics to girls over Tinder and I also think men who advocate that you have to dominate women sexually in order to "be a man" are disgusting. But its hard for a lot of guys to have any kind of support for feminism when they consistently seem to ignore the very possibility that some men may have been falsely accused and that we do in-fact, need to abide by the idea of "innocent until proven guilty," its not a rape specific thing we also assume innocence in murderers until proven guilty because the founders of our constitution agreed that the idea of ruining an innocent person's life was a horrifying enough idea that we were willing to let some guilty people go free so that we wouldn't punish the innocent. Or when guys see so many feminists act so gleeful about women cheating on their boyfriend/husbands and getting divorced. Most guys really don't like sexually aggressive guys either but how are guys supposed to support a movement that seems determined to demonize all men as being the same as those guys? Its not up to men to "forgive" feminism for its radical elements. Its up to the moderate feminists to condemn their radical elements and not give passive support to it like a lot of them do. I've also found that a lot of feminists, even "moderate" ones, find ways to twist everything a guy says into being evidence of prejudice somehow. Sometimes even when a guy is agreeing with them I've seen them do this.

2. From what I've seen, most guys don't expect a super gorgeous model girlfriend. That includes anime fans. I've seen a lot of the kind of girls that other guys I know who are anime fans date and they actually usually don't look anything like the girls in anime do. They tend to be kind of gothic/alternative looking. I think most guys who are anime fans just assume they wouldn't be able to relate to girls who have the supermodel look and don't necessarily have much interest in them. They might be interested in a really pretty girl who acts kind of weeby like Bella Delphine but for the most part, I haven't seen any evidence that the way anime girls look is the biggest reason why some guys start growing fond of 2D girls. Sure many guys do think they're beautiful but from what I've seen, its more about the perception that anime girls are very loyal and loving. Anime girls won't cheat on you, they want to be with you forever and won't ever ask for a divorce. "Moe" type girls are very sweet and kind, they seem to be forgiving of the awkwardness or shyness of a lot of male MCs. A lot of guys have been really hurt by certain girls in their past and have trust issues, 2D girls feel like they can be trusted not to judge you and to love you forever.

3. Well the point was to establish in the thread title, that there are romantic connotations to the "appeal" we are talking about. What is romantically appealing to you about anime characters. Mentioning that they are opposite sex characters was just an easy way to establish that there was a romantic connotation to the question and its not just about whether you think they're a cool character.
Apr 14, 2019 12:30 PM

Apr 2013
Because Anime girls provide happiness both to the organ in my chest and the organ in my pants :smart:

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Apr 14, 2019 12:59 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
1. guy

2. https://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=794642 , That's the list of pseudo-waifus. But to give an reason. Then putting aside looks. Then all sorts of aspects. But I probably adore the most characters that confident, independent. Have that rather sexy & cool personality whilst now and then showing their childish and more emotional side. Probably a bit of "darkness" in their life/personality appeals me as well a lot. That somewhat creates in addition of just liking the character, another emotion, which would be the feeling of wanting to be beside that person, support her, get supported, bring her smile and joy.. whilst her existence itself would soothe me and my life and somewhat fulfill me and bring me purpose. That also brings another example of characters I love are sweet, kind, faithful, caring that end up saving your "soul" if they end up being your "soulmate" .. as now and then those characters give rather soul saving monologues... ANd obviously one thing about being waifu.. is it's pure vanilla thus being truly faithful to you to death and beyond (which I would be too..). So somehow untainted girl that you would end up tainting to some extend and who would be tainting you. But in the end that harmonical blissful existence of partner who would stay with you.. is simply most appealing thing idealistically.

Pure vanilla romance.. is what probably would be the idealistic outcome or that waifu if would exist.

Short version is, faithful character that appeals to your tastes.
Apr 14, 2019 1:27 PM

Mar 2019
DesolatePsyche said:
1. guy

2. https://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=794642 , That's the list of pseudo-waifus. But to give an reason. Then putting aside looks. Then all sorts of aspects. But I probably adore the most characters that confident, independent. Have that rather sexy & cool personality whilst now and then showing their childish and more emotional side. Probably a bit of "darkness" in their life/personality appeals me as well a lot. That somewhat creates in addition of just liking the character, another emotion, which would be the feeling of wanting to be beside that person, support her, get supported, bring her smile and joy.. whilst her existence itself would soothe me and my life and somewhat fulfill me and bring me purpose. That also brings another example of characters I love are sweet, kind, faithful, caring that end up saving your "soul" if they end up being your "soulmate" .. as now and then those characters give rather soul saving monologues... ANd obviously one thing about being waifu.. is it's pure vanilla thus being truly faithful to you to death and beyond (which I would be too..). So somehow untainted girl that you would end up tainting to some extend and who would be tainting you. But in the end that harmonical blissful existence of partner who would stay with you.. is simply most appealing thing idealistically.

Pure vanilla romance.. is what probably would be the idealistic outcome or that waifu if would exist.

I relate a lot to this, I also prefer vanilla romance. If its based on love and affection though, are the two of you really being tainted?

I've seen some guys talk about having sex with a girl like they enjoy the idea of "defiling her," through having degrading sex. I've never really understood this and it furthermore feels gross to me. Whenever I imagine myself with a girl I'm always treating her in a very loving way.
Apr 14, 2019 3:33 PM

Aug 2018
There's a reason that the female is the face of anime.
Apr 14, 2019 3:38 PM
Apr 14, 2019 4:28 PM
Jul 2018
Well... tbh all of my favorite anime characters are female. I don't have many opposite sex favorites when it comes to characters. Of course, there are many male characters that I like. But I could go on faaaar much longer about all the lovely anime girls I like.
Apr 14, 2019 4:45 PM

Sep 2013
I like tomboy characters or just confident female characters in general. Short hair also helps.
Apr 14, 2019 5:14 PM

Mar 2017
Ryuk9428 said:
InkSpider said:

1. I wouldn't be so sure that some feminists don't want to exterminate the male species.

Obviously extreme examples but the term is a reaction based on a widespread perception among many guys that most feminists hate them, many of whom are less radical than Solanas but still seem to despise men. Whatever the movement may have been about in 1918, starting around the late 60s or early 70s it has evolved to the point where it primarily seems to be a hate movement that isn't recognized as such. I've seen feminists online try to justify women cheating on their husbands because "monogamy is oppression," celebrating divorce, families being broken up, all sorts of things that lead a lot of men to logically conclude that a lot of feminists just hate men and resent women who feel a natural sense of affection towards men.

The funny thing is that I actually agree with feminists on some things. I also hate creepy guys who send unsolicited dick pics to girls over Tinder and I also think men who advocate that you have to dominate women sexually in order to "be a man" are disgusting. But its hard for a lot of guys to have any kind of support for feminism when they consistently seem to ignore the very possibility that some men may have been falsely accused and that we do in-fact, need to abide by the idea of "innocent until proven guilty," its not a rape specific thing we also assume innocence in murderers until proven guilty because the founders of our constitution agreed that the idea of ruining an innocent person's life was a horrifying enough idea that we were willing to let some guilty people go free so that we wouldn't punish the innocent. Or when guys see so many feminists act so gleeful about women cheating on their boyfriend/husbands and getting divorced. Most guys really don't like sexually aggressive guys either but how are guys supposed to support a movement that seems determined to demonize all men as being the same as those guys? Its not up to men to "forgive" feminism for its radical elements. Its up to the moderate feminists to condemn their radical elements and not give passive support to it like a lot of them do. I've also found that a lot of feminists, even "moderate" ones, find ways to twist everything a guy says into being evidence of prejudice somehow. Sometimes even when a guy is agreeing with them I've seen them do this.

2. From what I've seen, most guys don't expect a super gorgeous model girlfriend. That includes anime fans. I've seen a lot of the kind of girls that other guys I know who are anime fans date and they actually usually don't look anything like the girls in anime do. They tend to be kind of gothic/alternative looking. I think most guys who are anime fans just assume they wouldn't be able to relate to girls who have the supermodel look and don't necessarily have much interest in them. They might be interested in a really pretty girl who acts kind of weeby like Bella Delphine but for the most part, I haven't seen any evidence that the way anime girls look is the biggest reason why some guys start growing fond of 2D girls. Sure many guys do think they're beautiful but from what I've seen, its more about the perception that anime girls are very loyal and loving. Anime girls won't cheat on you, they want to be with you forever and won't ever ask for a divorce. "Moe" type girls are very sweet and kind, they seem to be forgiving of the awkwardness or shyness of a lot of male MCs. A lot of guys have been really hurt by certain girls in their past and have trust issues, 2D girls feel like they can be trusted not to judge you and to love you forever.

3. Well the point was to establish in the thread title, that there are romantic connotations to the "appeal" we are talking about. What is romantically appealing to you about anime characters. Mentioning that they are opposite sex characters was just an easy way to establish that there was a romantic connotation to the question and its not just about whether you think they're a cool character.

Posting a bunch of quotes out of context and referencing a woman most feminists, myself included, consider a lunatic isn't a very compelling damnation of feminists. Calling Solanas a feminist is a bit like calling the Nazis socialists. Just because they call themselves that doesn't mean it's accurate.

There's nothing logical about the conclusion that feminists hate men. That's what's called a hasty generalization, which is a fallacy. It's honestly not very different from people concluding that men are all shallow, or all rapists. You seem to have some concern about women and sexual harassment, so you do have my respect, but I can't agree with you or anyone else summing up feminists based on the worst people to grab the title for themselves.

Maybe most guys don't expect compare real women to anime girls, but IPreferEcchi does, so I reserve my right to dunk on him.

If the title really was just about romantic interest, OP could have conveyed that in a way that wasn't exlusive to gay and bisexual people.
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

Apr 14, 2019 9:08 PM

Feb 2015
Apr 15, 2019 5:08 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Ryuk9428 said:
InkSpider said:

Ouch. The vast majority of your post totally ignored and unaddressed, in order to reduce everything you've put forth here down the extreme example you submitted at the beginning. It could be said you set yourself up for that, and if you were self-aware about it being an extreme example I can't help but wonder why you'd try to build a point around it in the first place. I would've tossed in a bit about the egregious and rather blatant sensationalism and fearmongering that some can try to push at times as well, and how that sort of thing can often go unchecked/left alone by the more sane ones as well.

I liked how you brought that up, by the way, with some of the issues with moderate feminists tending to ignore/shift discussion away from these more disgusting/anti-liberal/outright hypocritical sects and ideas of the movement. I've felt that to be the case for a while now. Rather than trying to beat them down and make it clear that they don't approve of this shit, it's just met with passivity or even attempts at redirecting aggro at this sort of mentality onto other entities they try to build up as more of a threat in ways that come off as more attempting to dismiss otherwise fair criticism in most contexts. I really would like it if there were more public backlash coming from the inside against some of these mentalities that should be pretty obviously overbearing or unjust, but meh. What can be done. Far too many would rather spend time attacking the symptom instead of the cause.

But then again I'm just a potential rapist because I like ecchi stuff a lot, or so I've been told, so I guess my thoughts are worthless here :> I still liked your takes on this at points, though. Seemed pretty balanced and fair to me, and I kind of wanted to voice my support for how you voiced some of your criticisms in light of the half-assed bullshit you were met with in response.

But oh well. Y'know how it is. There's people that will toss out shit like "Hope you'll actually give these points some consideration and not reflexively jump to trying to disprove them." and then make it clear that they have no intention to reciprocate that with how they respond. The reason people who act like that end up being so widely rejected by their peers on this site is because of everybody else being toxic, and not because they're insufferable and make their egomania clear with attitudes like that, though, I assure you.
ManabanApr 15, 2019 5:29 AM

Apr 15, 2019 5:37 AM

Jan 2017
I dont really have particular criteria that they should fit to be appealing to me but there are some things that i never want in my favorite girls :-

1. They shouldnt be violent tsunderes. Though i like softcore types (ex- Makise Kurisu).

2. Bitches who always scream that guys shouldnt make a girl do this or that.

I have realised that i mostly like female characters who are somewhat not normal. Girls with some weird personalities which u dont find usually. My favorite character list says it all.
Apr 15, 2019 7:49 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Ryuk9428 said:
DesolatePsyche said:
1. guy

I relate a lot to this, I also prefer vanilla romance. If its based on love and affection though, are the two of you really being tainted?

I've seen some guys talk about having sex with a girl like they enjoy the idea of "defiling her," through having degrading sex. I've never really understood this and it furthermore feels gross to me. Whenever I imagine myself with a girl I'm always treating her in a very loving way.

I mean mostly "defling" that if pure loving idealistic waifu ends up being beside you. Eventually one would taint one way or another. Doesn't even have to be sexual. But if sexual then basically any lewd "act" can be already categorized as taint/corruption. Also the whole gimmick that lewding with each other developes some traits that essentially is "corruption" . Or even increase the sex drive or interest to try stuff of a partner would be "taint".

Whilst non lewd tainting would be self expression that would explain of yourself some darker thoughts of any sorts etc...

So nevertheless that perfect waifu would be tainted in some aspects. Sexual would be more of corruption though.. increasing libido or interest in intimate companionship. Which is still pure vanilla. Just kinkier vanilla I guess.

I mean if I would have faithful waifu who would fullfil and love me, of course so would I. But I can't deny having interest in intimacy (or even fair amount of perversions/increased interest in lewds). So since been around on web (or even hentai) a long time. There are few kinks I would love to try with loved one. And if both would end up enjoying it . Then it would be simply another way sharing love. Obviously wouldn't force though. (if companionship and simple love making now and then or baby making. Would be the outcome of relationship, so bit. Kinks can be fulfilled digitally if needed). So with vanilla there comes a lot of that "hnggh cuteness" but once hitting that intimacy threshold. It will be still faithful vanilla, just a bit corrupted when mixing in lust and love together into cup of juicy love.
Apr 15, 2019 12:07 PM

Mar 2017
Manaban said:
Ryuk9428 said:

Ouch. The vast majority of your post totally ignored and unaddressed, in order to reduce everything you've put forth here down the extreme example you submitted at the beginning. It could be said you set yourself up for that, and if you were self-aware about it being an extreme example I can't help but wonder why you'd try to build a point around it in the first place. I would've tossed in a bit about the egregious and rather blatant sensationalism and fearmongering that some can try to push at times as well, and how that sort of thing can often go unchecked/left alone by the more sane ones as well.

I liked how you brought that up, by the way, with some of the issues with moderate feminists tending to ignore/shift discussion away from these more disgusting/anti-liberal/outright hypocritical sects and ideas of the movement. I've felt that to be the case for a while now. Rather than trying to beat them down and make it clear that they don't approve of this shit, it's just met with passivity or even attempts at redirecting aggro at this sort of mentality onto other entities they try to build up as more of a threat in ways that come off as more attempting to dismiss otherwise fair criticism in most contexts. I really would like it if there were more public backlash coming from the inside against some of these mentalities that should be pretty obviously overbearing or unjust, but meh. What can be done. Far too many would rather spend time attacking the symptom instead of the cause.

But then again I'm just a potential rapist because I like ecchi stuff a lot, or so I've been told, so I guess my thoughts are worthless here :> I still liked your takes on this at points, though. Seemed pretty balanced and fair to me, and I kind of wanted to voice my support for how you voiced some of your criticisms in light of the half-assed bullshit you were met with in response.

But oh well. Y'know how it is. There's people that will toss out shit like "Hope you'll actually give these points some consideration and not reflexively jump to trying to disprove them." and then make it clear that they have no intention to reciprocate that with how they respond. The reason people who act like that end up being so widely rejected by their peers on this site is because of everybody else being toxic, and not because they're insufferable and make their egomania clear with attitudes like that, though, I assure you.

Oh, that's cute. You avoided quoting me directly so I wouldn't get a notification.

I also notice that while you don't seem to approve of my response, you also didn't actually pose a real argument against them, instead opting for a passive aggressive ad hominem. Classy! With arguments as sophisticated as these, I'm sure feminism will have no choice but to fold.
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

Apr 15, 2019 1:34 PM
Jul 2018
I guess the type of men I like is either:
+ Smart
+ Eccentric
+ Mysterious
+ Adorkable
+ A megane type
Apr 15, 2019 1:50 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
InkSpider said:
Manaban said:

Oh, that's cute. You avoided quoting me directly so I wouldn't get a notification.

I also notice that while you don't seem to approve of my response, you also didn't actually pose a real argument against them, instead opting for a passive aggressive ad hominem. Classy! With arguments as sophisticated as these, I'm sure feminism will have no choice but to fold.

First off, I was under the impression you'd blocked me after our last fight, given I feel as if I remember a line that seemed to heavily imply you were going to do so. Would you walk up and begin talking to somebody if you were under the impression they'd shut you off?

The other thing is that I just don't like you and therefore I don't really want to fucking talk to you. And no, I don't dislike you because you're a feminist. I dislike you because you've acted like a total fucking sensationalist, and that you often display openly toxic behavior - often outright initiating hostilities in most threads I see you in, all while being enough of a spineless wretch to try to treat it like the reason you fucking have so many people who dislike you is due to the fact that you're a feminist whenever you go around talking about the users of this site in profile comments or something. And I can promise you, your overly-defensive demeanor and attitude buries you a lot more than I ever fucking could. You could be like fucking Maneki or Jal - openly feminist and have more than a handful of cordial relations with people from any given little circle on this site, but then you'd have to be something other than totally overwrought with every single thing you respond to, and you wouldn't be able to treat everyone around you like total dogshit in almost every single thread you're in. You seem entirely incapable of doing that, but yeah, sure, you'll continue think everything is about you being a feminist and not that you constantly act in a way that's completely fucking insufferable. I'm a dickhead so I can live with other people being dickheads, but your shitty ass, completely lacking in self-awareness, self-victimizing excuses that I've been aware you've made in the past are what pushes you past the line. It's fucking spineless, and either just totally ignorant of how rancid you act or just outright dishonest to boot.

And I am pretty much 100% certain I laid out what I disapproved of with your response in the post you're quoting, in the very first fucking line:

Ouch. The vast majority of your post totally ignored and unaddressed, in order to reduce everything you've put forth here down the extreme example you submitted at the beginning.

It isn't more complex than that. The guy talked about a variety of things and offered a pretty fucking decent explanation about some of the negativity that a lot of males feel towards feminism right now, and you more or less just reduced it down to the extreme example element and then barely even acknowledged anything else. That's some good fucking discussion etiquette if I've ever seen it. Is it an extreme example? Yes. Is it wrong to assume all feminists hate men? Yes. Does that negate any perspective or reasoning as to why there's so many negative feelings towards your fucking movement to the point where they go almost totally unaddressed, especially when they're being stated in a rather fucking nuanced way? No, not at all, yet you just talked about the extreme example and then treated the rest as a closed book, bottom line. That shit about *why* there's so many men with negative feelings about your movement is totally open for discussion, albeit I'd advocate people representing the other side of things who aren't total fucking banshees about the topic as opposed to somebody like yourself.

Or, what, do you want me to go through and try to discuss any thing with you about your other posts in this thread, or are you just dropping lines like "I also notice that while you don't seem to approve of my response, you also didn't actually pose a real argument against them, instead opting for a passive aggressive ad hominem" to try to smear me a little for not trying to argue the points you've tried making prior? Because I sure as hell don't want to enter a prolonged discussion with somebody who has such a dogshit attitude about almost everything they say on this board. I'd probably be better off talking to a brick wall, at least then I'd save myself the fucking headache, and it probably has better listening/reading comprehension skills at that. I only got involved this time because I fucking felt bad for the guy, because the situation came off like he wrote out this big fucking thing and then had the bulk of it handwaved or ignored - which, I've been there before, it fucking sucks - and I wanted to express my support for him and agreement in a couple of areas at that. I was also backhanded to you in that post because, as I've said, I don't fucking like you, I don't fucking like the way you act, and I don't fucking the way you tend to distort and reduce what other people say on topics like this, so two birds with one stone, really.
ManabanApr 15, 2019 2:38 PM

Apr 15, 2019 8:19 PM

Mar 2019
The main reason I replied to @InkSpider was because I have seen her aggressively charge at numerous other users with accusations of misogyny or homophobia and stuff like that. A lot of what she's doing is why a lot of males have a negative perception of the movement. The term "feminazi" is an exaggeration given that they haven't started a world war and murdered six million innocent people but I think a lot of men are justified in their perception that a very large number of feminists hate men. Its not just about Solanas and her SCUM book. A very large percentage of the feminists I've met have been misandrists on some level. I've noticed that many of them seem resentful towards people who are in happy relationships and either try to push a narrative that the wife is somehow being oppressed or if they can't prove that will accuse the wife of fueling the patriarchy or something like that. Look at this article for example...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/06/1-wives-are-helping-kill-feminism-and-make-the-war-on-women-possible/258431/

This article really isn't particularly "radical." It does try its damndest to make housewives look bad in every way that they can though. Accusing them of fueling the patriarchy and "war on women" while simultaneously accusing them of being privileged and lazy. Two concepts that put side by side don't really make sense. How can a woman be "oppressed" if she is also privileged because her husband's work is allowing her to be lazy according to this article? To me, this article seems almost entirely motivated by jealously of housewives rather than actually believing that they are suffering from some sort of plight. Where I think this is misandrist is the insistence that men always have some kind of bad motive or selfish intent, that he somehow looks down on his wife or is actively trying to stifle her freedom. Like when she says "if Mitt Romney respected housewives, he would be one." That isn't necessarily true though, what if the man knows that his wife wants to spend most of her time with her children and is working hard to give her the opportunity to do so?

The fact that many feminists automatically assume in any situation that men have some selfish or malicious reason for doing something or feeling some way is why there's a perception that many feminists, even the "moderate" ones are misandrists.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

37 by Strayfe »»
25 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

26 by Lizsaki »»
27 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 8 hours ago

33 by TRC_Randy »»
28 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 10 hours ago

42 by Vendicator »»
35 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

42 by TRC_Randy »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.