15th Anniversary
Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Kenja no Mago Episode 1 Discussion

Apr 10, 8:01 PM
this show screams isekai tropes so loud it's worrying

Apr 10, 8:04 PM

Moderate start, let's see where it goes now.

Apr 10, 8:04 PM

I'm sure there were a lot of ways to make this anime better but nope, they seemed to followed some sort of instructions of 'how to isekai' and this was the result. Stopped the video at the 7th minute and that's the far I'll get on this one. Dropped.
No tomo malas decisiones, me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki y Arifureta. Así de jodido está mi gusto en anime, y estoy bien pinche orgulloso de ello.

Apr 10, 8:35 PM

Seems like the overused concept of boring character dies > gets reborn/transported to fun fantasy world > becomes really op for "reasons" = generic isekai. Not sure how to feel about it, with the generic troupes they hit, they also just kinda used them all to build the world which was interesting take on it. They also went through the like first 15 years in that new world really quickly which again seems like it was just to build the world up. I'm pretty interested where this show is going to go. It seemed really generic at first, but I think that's going to be completely ignored for the most part besides him being incredibly overpowered.

I love to talk anime and manga, feel free to message me!

Apr 10, 8:35 PM

One thing I don't understand about isekais is the stupidity of initially presenting the mc as a loser and then, in the next act, transporting it to another world turned into a fucking Gary Stu. Obviously this is done with the sole purpose of fulfilling the fantasy of self-insertion, but come on, realize that it's a fucking shit D:

Apr 10, 9:56 PM

felipeliborio said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

There is so much he can do with science and magic. It reminds me of this dude https://myanimelist.net/character/23100/Saten

I haven't watched Needless yet but indeed the Kanja no Mago manga makes some really interesting use of magic merged with science. I'm liking it more than I thought I would.
Is a really good series. The ending is a bit meh as they rushed it but it is worth seeing.

Apr 10, 9:59 PM

Distinctly remember reading this manga years ago, then life got in the way and I dropped reading manga entirely...

Good to know it's going strong enough for an anime adaptation.
HESTIAAPPROVES

Apr 10, 10:18 PM
Kurumi Best Girl
This is giving me HUGE Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni vibes. I really loved that show.

Apr 10, 10:21 PM

This was a poorly written episode. The sloppy narrative info dumps took away from what could have been. We did not need to see his previous life as a lonely Japanese office worker. We did not need the main character to tell the audience how magic works or his past memories or his current relationships in this new world. We need to be shown and not told.

At the time of writing, this has a 7.75. How and why it has attained this high of a rating is remarkable.

Apr 10, 10:43 PM

Watching this made me physically ill
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 10, 10:49 PM
What can I say?
1. First episode: I loved it. I'm not disappointed at all. Very funny.
2. Animation: Very good, the action scenes are well done.
3.Protagonista: I like that to develop their powers have had to train for 15 years, did not emerge from nowhere as in other animes of this genre. In addition to using magic you can fight, perfect combination👌.
4. Characters: I loved the introduction of Merlin and the other characters. Very nice
5. History: Interesting, we'll see how it develops over the course of the episodes. I'm not sure, but I hope to see epic fights.
And well, ladies and gentlemen, here we have the anime Isekai of the season(Not counting Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari that comes from the previous season, which by the way, is very good). In my opinion, it looks very promising, I hope it continues like that 😁.

Apr 10, 10:49 PM
三葉

This is the clichie's of all cliche it made me cringe almost through every scene.
Animation was good for an isekai show but the main reason why I like shield hero and not this is... the MC here is too fcking OP, not that I'm saying I hate OP chars as a whole since I like Izayoi from Mondaiji but Izayoi didnt just randomly get his powers because he got teleported to an isekai, Izayoi was literally too OP for the real world so he took the invitation to another world so that he can finally let loose.
I hate tropes that turns isekai MC's into some random OP God like being that everyone flanders and gets surprised around, like we fcking get it, HE'S OP!
I may just stick around because the animation was quite nice but other than that the start and characters are massive shit.

Apr 10, 11:35 PM

It was fine..feels like Subaru alter ego went to another different world...oh god what is this? AGAIN!?!?!?
3/5.

Apr 10, 11:40 PM
Unexpectedly enjoyable. I know the story is so mainstream. You died - reincarnated to the new world - then having such a great talent that could shake the world.
I don't know why people say this show is a trash, (Maybe they take it too serious). Animation was good and the character was so funny, especially that grandfather. I'll watch next

Apr 10, 11:43 PM
Ryuseishun said:
lakelurk said:
for the same Reason shield hero & Slime have high rating, i guess people Just love mediocre anime

Probably source material

Mhm, thats exactly why. The source material for this was pretty good, it follows the main character as he grows up and learns magic, hand to hand combat, and enchanting, as well as why he is so good at it. It also shows off all the various characters and their personalities as well as develops them and makes you actually care about them somewhat. It skips over important moments between characters and then acts like you know what happened. And imo the most important parts are the mc's internal monologues, and the narrator parts that are all completely skipped, this is the main driving force that makes this show so damn bland.

Apr 10, 11:48 PM

is this the new tensura for this season

𝓹𝓮𝓻𝓲𝔀𝓻𝓲𝓷𝓴𝓵𝓮 ✧*:・゚✧

Apr 10, 11:59 PM

It was alright i guess. Better than the Smartphone anime at the very least. Giving it 2 more episodes

Apr 11, 12:18 AM

Another typical isekai anime *sigh*......

Apr 11, 1:03 AM
So far in the first episode it managed to check every single overused isekai trope and clichés. Pretty bad first impression.
But the mansion ripped of straight from Konosuba takes the cake.

I'll give it a shot however, because for example Failed Knight ep 1 also was full of overused tropes and left bad first impression, but ended up being quite good.

Apr 11, 1:09 AM
Seeing a lot of low thoughts on this one because of how generic it is. While I agree, I also love me some generic OP MC so I love what we have gotten so far!

Apr 11, 2:41 AM
Shounen wishfulfillment the animation. Every NPC exists to mention how talented and amazing MC-kun is. Yeah this was garbage. It was one of the few isekai mangas that I didn't want to read, and look at what steaming pile of garbage it turned out to be. I'll give it a few episodes, as it's just barely better than Smartphone and Deathmarch.

Apr 11, 3:13 AM

Just had the feel that the house in the city for Merlin was really the KonoSuba mansion. Oh brings back memories. And Kobayashi Yuusuke in a cheerful role is good to hear. This show feels lika a mix of Isekai no Smartphone and Death March kara Hajimeru Sekai.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Apr 11, 3:31 AM

I am skipping Isekai Bingo grunts.
There must be one of such show each season and I think this one is closer to Knights&Magic rather then Smartphone.

Let's talk good stuff.
In the OP (presented at the end) girls were ranked in the oppai-size order, last one protested and got rank up.
Now I am rooting for this girl instead of main couple.

Apr 11, 3:42 AM
Another good Isekai show

Apr 11, 4:32 AM

EXPECTEDLY...

Combine EVERY isekai cliche and troupe (TenSura's reincarnation + past tried isekai (Smartphone, Death March)) and trounce them into one package: That's Kenja no Mago for you.

Didn't think that this isekai show would keep on burning bridges, but with the overly use of its gag comedy (which the synopsis has already mentioned), it's...gonna be a fun ride? Hopefully this keeps up though as that ONE rare isekai that isn't Shield Hero, TenSura, but one that is worth an honorable mention.
Modified by KANLen09, Apr 11, 4:38 AM

Apr 11, 4:42 AM
Otherworldly

Having Subaru's VA make this show so much better .

Apr 11, 5:01 AM

Someone should edit and mash together a clip of all the anime openings where the mc gets killed at the start lol

Apr 11, 5:02 AM

And of course my trashy self somehow enjoyed this cliché fest

At least there was effort put into this as opposed to Ragnarök and Smartphone. I've always said that clichés aren't necessarily bad if done well, so let's see where this will go

Apr 11, 5:17 AM
Holy shit. This is awesome. I'm getting the same chills like the ones I get from Tensei Shitara...

Apr 11, 5:22 AM

It's amazing how terrible the pacing was for an opening episode. I'm typing this halfway the episode LOL.

Apr 11, 5:36 AM
Is it me or is there people that watch Isekai think the characters are always in a game

Apr 11, 5:44 AM

Another Isekai, Truck kill and Over Powered Main Character. People get sick of this but not me I love it and I want more...

The Best part is that the Main Character isn't annoying and that's all I want. this has successfully replace Tensei Slime.

5/5 Loved it.

Apr 11, 5:54 AM
People are bashing this, but this is basically SLIME tbh... wholesome retarded fun. I like it.

Apr 11, 5:55 AM
lakelurk said:
Kougeru said:
how does this have such high ratings for being so generic and is basically low tier all around including animation
for the same Reason shield hero & Slime have high rating, i guess people Just love mediocre anime

For me, the manga and novel of shield hero is great. it’s just the anime that the director ruin it all.

But for this anime, even the source material is awful.

Apr 11, 6:01 AM
Meh rather disappointed because Sisily's style of drawing is not like in the manga.

Apr 11, 6:10 AM
Dudi4PoLFr said:
Well yet again a isekai with a op af MC, nothing new here.

But why he is living in the mansion of KonoSoba party??
This is some kind of prequel that I didn't know about [sarcasm off]?

Just checked it and fvck it’s true. Lol
Perhaps konosuba party will be mentioned at later time.

Apr 11, 6:33 AM
Amzaing episode!!!!!

Apr 11, 6:35 AM

Minecarter said:
So how did a European oldman give a Japanese name to a newly born european kid? 🤣

Believe it or not, but shin isn't a strictly japanese name, it was a name in some mostly dead languages such as Celtic, it's not commonly used anymore outside of asia though, and i doubt the LN author thought of it.

As for the anime itself, it has potential but it's far too rushed, they need to slow it down to a sane pace.

Apr 11, 6:46 AM

"How utterly cliche" lol duh! This was cliche af but, I liked it. Had the charm of Slime. Still keeping expectations low because I really dread isekai and WN/LN fantasy. Visuals in the few action sequences were spectacular. I'm hoping this is going to be the stupid fun, light-hearted show with the least amount of cringe-inducing shenanigans as possible. I liked Slime, so hopefully, in the long run, its charm has the legs to go the distance.

P.S. the MC is a god lol like Rimuru.

Apr 11, 7:21 AM
did any1 notice that house is simillar to kazuma's house

Apr 11, 9:01 AM

Jeez, the pacing is toooooo faaaaast!!! As mostly a shounen guy, I felt like I just watched 3 episodes. The characters just talk fast and talk and talk and then do some more talking.

But it's really good.

Apr 11, 9:27 AM

I'd love to know who did the animation for action scenes in this episode. Those scenes looked rather cool and had nice flow to them.

Apr 11, 10:48 AM
Okay so I have seen a tonne of comments or posts or whatever saying this is crap. I have read the manga already and it isn’t as crap as it starts just be patient. I’m not going to spoil anything. I thought it was okay I liked the animation although they changed a bit of the characters appearance they portrayed the story in a good way. Please dont hate on it too much it should get better

Apr 11, 10:50 AM
Jamppa_94 said:
I'd love to know who did the animation for action scenes in this episode. Those scenes looked rather cool and had nice flow to them.
AdELta said:
Meh rather disappointed because Sisily's style of drawing is not like in the manga.
Thats what i thought I loved Sisily in the manga

Apr 11, 11:13 AM

Don't see why they needed to make this an isekai rather then a straight up fantasy anime lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy

Apr 11, 11:55 AM

Isekai and overpowered protagonist. Nothing unique. But it's actually pretty good. I like the light-heartedness of this show.
We got to see the heroine too. She looks cuter in the anime.
Modified by Minar-kyun, Apr 11, 11:58 AM

Apr 11, 12:00 PM

This episode reminded me a bit of Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, but it was a decent watch. The story is light, the animation is good and it was funny! I can't wait for next week to be honest :)

Apr 11, 12:01 PM
because this isekai also seems to me to be sympathetic, it is the happy type, unlike the supposed avant-garde harem such as goblin slayer and shield hero.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Apr 11, 12:04 PM

This is so simple but I actually enjoyed it. Surprised but glad I picked this up as I wasn't going to initially.

Apr 11, 12:33 PM

Starting to hate this already.

Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »