Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2019 7:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So we got focus on kid Shin from the start. Well then.

There's definitely themes related to magic already and seems they're setting up this kid to be something special in their world. Not bad for the fighting scenes I guess. On the other hand, Shin is pretty much the type of MC you can encounter in any similar type of fantasy shows liek this.

After growing up, it looks like Shin's magic improved a lot. I'm going to keep expectations low on this one for now. Seems they're expending a lot on the comedy. I find it hard to take this show seriously. Lol, that ending...
Stark700Apr 10, 2019 9:09 AM
Apr 10, 2019 8:58 AM
Jan 2018
Finally 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
Apr 10, 2019 9:17 AM

Apr 2016
The fuck was this shit ... so let me get this straight ... mc-kun is op as fuck, he has so much plot armor that even the author himself cant kill him, hes like fucking god in this world. On top of that he is as usually for isekai mcs dumb, and you even telling me that this is just another one of those "im super special and edgy in my classrom" type of anime like clasroom of elite and bunny girl ? But this time in isekai world ?

The fuck.

I can see so many crap isekai tropes in this, im gonna vomit.
Apr 10, 2019 9:28 AM

Nov 2016
This could've been really cool if we actually saw him growing up instead of jumping from year to year which felt unsatisfying, but ok, it's merely the introduction and the synopsis already revealed that it would be about an op brat.

There were some amusing scenes and it seems at least slightly better than something like Smartphone. And I even kinda like it how ridiculously over the top the portrayal of the MC is xD Still doesn't really look good overall.

Swagernator said:
The fuck was this shit ... so let me get this stragint ... mc-kun is op as fuck, he has so much plot armor that even the author himself cant kill him, hes like fucking god in this world. On tp of that hes as usually for isekai mcs dumb, and you even telling me that this is just another "im super special in my classrom" type of anime ?

The fuck.

Lol, what else did you expect?

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 10, 2019 9:32 AM
Feb 2017
Swagernator said:
and you even telling me that this is just another one of those "im super special and edgy in my classrom" type of anime like clasroom of elite and bunny girl ? But this time in isekai world ?

The fuck.

Nevermind the show for a second, wtf is wrong with you thinking classroom of the elite and bunny girl were shit? they were fucking great, yeah, COTE wasn't a good adaptation but it was still a decent season, idk if bunny girl stayed true to the source but it was still dope and heartfelt as hell.
“This has gotta be the longest 40 seconds of my life.” - Light Yagami

Apr 10, 2019 9:36 AM

Sep 2017
Ladies and Gentleman, please welcome the trashiest show of the season! *yawn*
Apr 10, 2019 9:41 AM
Aug 2016
I read the manga- it was good. Made the character's endearing. This... This is not what I signed up for.
Apr 10, 2019 9:42 AM
Apr 2018
So how did a European oldman give a Japanese name to a newly born european kid? 🤣
Apr 10, 2019 9:45 AM
Apr 2018
That last scene reminded me of In another world with my smartphone. It's exactly the same – the bad guy attacks with a dagger and mc feels it's slow, two girls getting attacked, both MCs have same faces lol
Apr 10, 2019 9:50 AM

Aug 2015
I mean its just like every isekai ever. Nothing too special, but I'll still watch it.
Apr 10, 2019 9:51 AM

Sep 2009
I liked the original novels. Yea, MC is OP and other characters remind about it way to often, but overall it is a decent fantasy with plot, decent characters and, unlike most of similar LNs, decent romance (with no harem and a bunch of beta couples).

I though they'll end ep. 1 on the decision to send Shin to Magic Academy but looks like they wanted to introduse Sicily.

Nachtwandler_21Apr 10, 2019 10:06 AM
Apr 10, 2019 10:01 AM
Jan 2015
The animation is actually pretty good. It might be cliche, but still seems like a fun time.
My Queens

Apr 10, 2019 10:06 AM

Apr 2018
When they announced this series I was so hyped! Reading the manga, I was happy to see they actually included the Granpa-Grandson scene.
I wished there was something else in the anime that was included in the novel but not in the manga, but it seems more like they'll follow the manga, so no new things for me... well, Sicily is what I'm here for tho
Apr 10, 2019 10:07 AM

Aug 2013
Not a bad start, The MC is OP.

Gonna keep my expectation low on this one.

Apr 10, 2019 10:11 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
The MC is REALLY OP but I don't mind it at all lol, ended up liking this a lot tbh
Apr 10, 2019 10:11 AM

Sep 2018
Ok its the typical Isekai of the Season but i wont drop it as if now because it has no Harem/ROmance tag

The first episode was nothing special but a nice introduction to the world...
I just hope it does the opposite of what Shield Hero does with a "typical" first episode and than maybe getting better instead of worse

Edit: the ED basicially showed if its romance or not and it looks like it will be a romance but no love triangle or Harem wich is good instead of for example a fucking bird,a half Human and a 14 year old

Wont be top 10 this season judging from the first epsiode
-Mullerio-Apr 10, 2019 10:17 AM
Apr 10, 2019 10:14 AM

Jul 2015
So, we have yet another isekai with Overpowered for no reason Mary Sue as protagonist trope, which will successfully eviscerate all tension and we will have another boring show Mahouka or Slime.

Please, tell me I'm wrong.

Apr 10, 2019 10:15 AM
Jan 2017
A good way to start the show. Shin seems like a fine protagonist, but so far, there doesn't seem to be anything remarkable about him that distinguishes him from other light novel heroes. He's basically Luke Skywalker if he was raised by Obi-Wan Kenobi and had Jedi training since childhood. Since light novel adaptations have gotten a reputation for being bland and predictable, I'm hoping this show will subvert expectations and deliver something to keep viewers invested. To the show's credit, it's show some self-awareness about its premise and clichés, and its uplifting tone might be appealing enough to grab a sizeable audience. We'll see how it goes.
Apr 10, 2019 10:20 AM
Nov 2015
I've got nothing against isekai, for real, nothing. But come on! This one didn't even try! This is one of the most unoriginal isekai anime I've ever seen.
Why did it even had to be an isekai? He could just had been born in that world from the beggining and nothing at all would have changed.
Well, I'm done with this show. It is clearly made for people who haven't watched much anime whatsoever and are willing to watch anything, so it certainly has a target audience. But still, this is a pile of trash.

But the manga is nice enough if you let aside all the isekai shit.
felipeliborioApr 10, 2019 10:54 AM
Apr 10, 2019 10:26 AM

Sep 2016
So it's actually possible to create something even worse than Isekai Smartphone... amazing.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 10, 2019 10:34 AM

Oct 2010
how does this have such high ratings for being so generic and is basically low tier all around including animation
Apr 10, 2019 10:41 AM
Mar 2019
Kougeru said:
how does this have such high ratings for being so generic and is basically low tier all around including animation
for the same Reason shield hero & Slime have high rating, i guess people Just love mediocre anime
Apr 10, 2019 10:44 AM

Jan 2011
Probably because a lot of people know the manga and LN and are already invested. The advantages Shin has are those memories of his previous life, so he is able to use scientific knowledge to improve on his spells. He's also had the benefit of 15 years of training by the two greatest living magicians (his "grand-parents"), and combat training from the head of a knightly order.

This is not a harem, but it is a romance--with lots of interesting side couples and not much artificial relationship drama. I think they're pushing on the comedy a little too hard with the periodic descent into super-deformed or chibi style, but we'll see.
rodacApr 10, 2019 10:57 AM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Apr 10, 2019 10:48 AM

Mar 2016
What the actual fuck did I just watch?
Konosuba 2.0???
Apr 10, 2019 10:55 AM

Mar 2016
lakelurk said:
Kougeru said:
for the same Reason shield hero & Slime have high rating, i guess people Just love mediocre anime

Probably source material
Apr 10, 2019 10:56 AM

Sep 2018
Swagernator said:
The fuck was this shit ... so let me get this straight ... mc-kun is op as fuck, he has so much plot armor that even the author himself cant kill him, hes like fucking god in this world. On top of that he is as usually for isekai mcs dumb, and you even telling me that this is just another one of those "im super special and edgy in my classrom" type of anime like clasroom of elite and bunny girl ? But this time in isekai world ?

The fuck.

In what way is he similar to the mc of Classroom of the elite and Bunny girl senpai(those 2 are not even similar to each other)?
Can you explain?
well that's just my opinion.....
Apr 10, 2019 11:04 AM
Jul 2015
alright I thought shield hero was becoming too generic but this is TOO generic I don't know if I can do another isekai this time

Apr 10, 2019 11:06 AM

Dec 2010
Is not bad, i sorta like this adaption, but of course with only 12 episodes will just be a promo for the novel and the manga like Death March and Smarthphone.
It broadcast on the same time as Tate no Yuusha so is good to have 2 isekai the same day. :)
Apr 10, 2019 11:08 AM
Apr 2019
Awesome first episode, this might be the show of the season for me.
Apr 10, 2019 11:17 AM
Mar 2019
Oh my god. This is so far so good for episode one. The mc kinda op. Grandpa and grandma is the best lol. Definitely added this one in my list.
Apr 10, 2019 11:24 AM

Aug 2012
Swagernator said:
On top of that he is as usually for isekai mcs dumb, and you even telling me that this is just another one of those "im super special and edgy in my classrom" type of anime like clasroom of elite and bunny girl ? But this time in isekai world ?

Shin isn't dumb in the slightest. He's just uneducated on certain things.
Though considering your comment as a whole, I wouldn't put it past you to not even know the difference.
.................................................................................
Apr 10, 2019 11:27 AM
Sep 2018
So basically he lost all his old memories except physics and chemistry which makes him too op? Im done with this world, time to isekai because im fucking good in science, SIGN ME UP
Apr 10, 2019 11:31 AM

May 2015
Look "konosuba mansion" on Google.
Compare it with Grandpa's mansion.

THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME WTF
Apr 10, 2019 11:35 AM

Apr 2017
Stark700 said:
Seems they're expending a lot on the comedy. I find it hard to take this show seriously. Lol, that ending...

Tbh not really, there is comedy but it gets pretty serious, especially with the main villain which is pretty cool. Even tho it seems a cute and fluffy anime, the original source it's a seinen and sometimes there are bloody scenes with lot of good action.

I would say to not understimate it, but it still a normal isekai. Even tho it isn't that cliché especially with the romance.
Apr 10, 2019 11:43 AM

Aug 2012
Swagernator said:

The fuck.

He is OP because he combines science with magic. For instance he uses fire and elements to make a hydrogen bomb.
Apr 10, 2019 11:45 AM

Aug 2012
Minecarter said:
So how did a European oldman give a Japanese name to a newly born european kid? 🤣
Maybe he felt the name by his aura? who cares?
Apr 10, 2019 11:46 AM

Aug 2012
felipeliborio said:
I've got nothing against isekai, for real, nothing. But come on! This one didn't even try! This is one of the most unoriginal isekai anime I've ever seen.
Why did it even had to be an isekai? He could just had been born in that world from the beggining and nothing at all would have changed.
Well, I'm done with this show. It is clearly made for people who haven't watched much anime whatsoever and are willing to watch anything, so it certainly has a target audience. But still, this is a pile of trash.

But the manga is nice enough if you let aside all the isekai shit.
Because that world does not have a lot of science and he combines science with magic. That is why he can do those amazing things.
Apr 10, 2019 11:47 AM

Aug 2012
ScaR_Top said:
So basically he lost all his old memories except physics and chemistry which makes him too op? Im done with this world, time to isekai because im fucking good in science, SIGN ME UP
He still remembers many memories from his past life. He states that in the beginning.
Apr 10, 2019 11:50 AM
Apr 2018
-June said:
Oh my god. This is so far so good for episode one. The mc kinda op. Grandpa and grandma is the best lol. Definitely added this one in my list.
Hahahaha Fax 😤
Apr 10, 2019 11:52 AM
Nov 2015
nightcrawlercyp said:

Because that world does not have a lot of science and he combines science with magic. That is why he can do those amazing things.

Yeah, that makes sense, seeing how he did perform that fire magic like Roy Mustang.

I'm reading the manga now. It might be another of those overpowered character stories that became so overused recently, but it is, at the very least, at a guilty pleasure level.
Apr 10, 2019 11:52 AM

Sep 2009
Mullerio said:
Ok its the typical Isekai of the Season but i wont drop it as if now because it has no Harem/ROmance tag

The first episode was nothing special but a nice introduction to the world...
I just hope it does the opposite of what Shield Hero does with a "typical" first episode and than maybe getting better instead of worse

Edit: the ED basicially showed if its romance or not and it looks like it will be a romance but no love triangle or Harem wich is good instead of for example a fucking bird,a half Human and a 14 year old

Wont be top 10 this season judging from the first epsiode

Yes, the MC will end up with the main heroine sometime around 2/3 of the season. And there will be a couple more couples and no harem.
Apr 10, 2019 11:53 AM

Mar 2018
This can get anymore like your typical Isekai. And you know what sucks? That I'm sold and I'm going to be watching this Isekai trash. I'm part of the problem...
Apr 10, 2019 11:55 AM
Jan 2018
Piromysl said:
So, we have yet another isekai with Overpowered for no reason Mary Sue as protagonist trope, which will successfully eviscerate all tension and we will have another boring show Mahouka or Slime.

people watch isekai for tension .....ok name one isekai that has tension
Apr 10, 2019 12:02 PM

Jul 2015
Mattinator95 said:
Piromysl said:

people watch isekai for tension .....ok name one isekai that has tension

Shield Hero

That's one.

Re:Zero

That's two.

Apr 10, 2019 12:02 PM

Aug 2012
felipeliborio said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

Yeah, that makes sense, seeing how he did perform that fire magic like Roy Mustang.

I'm reading the manga now. It might be another of those overpowered character stories that became so overused recently, but it is, at the very least, at a guilty pleasure level.

There is so much he can do with science and magic. It reminds me of this dude https://myanimelist.net/character/23100/Saten
Apr 10, 2019 12:04 PM

Oct 2018
Since it's in isekai,I can already see the pathetic haters are here

You guys are ridiculous
Apr 10, 2019 12:06 PM
Apr 2018
nightcrawlercyp said:
Minecarter said:
Maybe he felt the name by his aura? who cares?

It just shows that the writer didn't even try. He just threw random shit that he read on-line in his free time.
Apr 10, 2019 12:19 PM

Jun 2014
I'm pretty sure I've seen the scenario from the first minute and a half about 87 times now lol.

I don't really know what else to say, so far it seems like the typical standard isekai. I just hope this is entertaining since my expectations for it are already quite low.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 10, 2019 12:23 PM

Oct 2013
Looks like it will be a nice light watch.

Action scenes were pretty good, and the comedy was funny as well
Apr 10, 2019 12:25 PM
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2019

279 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 22, 8:56 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2019

96 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 18, 8:19 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2019

107 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 17, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 15, 2019

129 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 17, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Kenja no Mago Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2019

77 by TheColonel76 »»
Apr 14, 7:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.