Forum Settings
Forums

Having a good art is miles more important than having a good animation

New
Apr 7, 2019 4:30 PM

Feb 2014
No point having good animation if you have nothing worth showing with it.
I've seen numerous cases of people complaining about anime with "good animation" but shitty art, but haven't once seen a case of someone complaining of a static anime but with good art.

I also hate that animator that likes to draw cubes in explosions, because 1: Things don't break in the format of cubes and 2: Cubes are boring, but this has nothing to do with the thread.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 7, 2019 4:48 PM
Jan 2018
This post is so bad in such a unique way that I can't even think of words to explain it.
Congrats for making such great bait.
Apr 7, 2019 4:50 PM

Oct 2018
You sure put several words together.
Apr 7, 2019 4:51 PM

Oct 2014
Sorry but the point of animation is that the art moves.

Like do you rather see mouth flaps or actual lip, mouth, Jaw movements when characters talk? you rather look at characters standing still while just having mouth flaps instead of actual movement?

Food wars is an example of how Continueus still shots and mouth flaps just makes it boring to even look at.

Anime stands for ANIMATION. so Animes are animation shows and the whole point of animation is the art of MOVEMENT.

Also
RonnyZapata said:
Remember this:

-An animated film with a good animation and bad script is a bad film.

-An animated film with a bad animation and a great script is an excellent film.

-An animated film with a great animation and a great script is a beatifull film.

By the way, the director can not do much without a good script.

^This^
Apr 7, 2019 4:54 PM

Sep 2018
You're free to have your own opinion, but this post is so wrong on so many levels it's hard trying to describe this.
"Literary experts revealed that reviews on sites like MyAnimeList kill more than 200 brain cells per second."

- Joey, "The Anime Man"
Apr 7, 2019 4:56 PM

Jul 2015
@Bourmegar Yes, but animating something more detailed is more difficult. While I have the greatest respect for simple art styles that allow great animation (FLCL, Kill la Kill), beautiful, barely animated art like Balladonna of Sadness are a perfectly valid choice.

Ofc, lots of shows are both ugly and poorly animated, but that's another problem.
Apr 7, 2019 5:00 PM

Jan 2008
Static anime with good art? Sounds like JC Staff when the character's aren't zoomed away and derped out. They love static imagery with only mouth flaps moving of images sliding across the screen to act as 'animation'.
Apr 7, 2019 5:13 PM

Feb 2014
@Bourmegar

It is not a case of having animation vs not having it.
But a case of either having animation or art quality.

That being said, i prefer a well-drawn face talking.
Apr 7, 2019 5:19 PM
May 2017
I disagree. In anime, having a good art is as important as having a good animation. An anime with good static art is a manga.

Of course, it is not an excuse for bad art; the art of an anime can be simple but beautiful and compatible with its story.

Both art and animation must be good in an ecchi/hentai anime to avoid a comical instead of a sexy experience.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 7, 2019 5:22 PM
Sep 2017
Disagree, I don´t remember the name of the show, but it was about a band of boys, and it had no animations, it was just still images moving.

Theres a show that has bad art ( Even tho I really like it ) to show some of the most fluid animation I have ever seen, The show name is Ping Pong the Animation and is a masterpiece ( Aslo by the same director theres Tatami Galaxi and Devilman Crybaby )
Apr 7, 2019 5:28 PM
Jan 2018
Whgedia said:
Disagree, I don´t remember the name of the show, but it was about a band of boys, and it had no animations, it was just still images moving.

Theres a show that has bad art ( Even tho I really like it ) to show some of the most fluid animation I have ever seen, The show name is Ping Pong the Animation and is a masterpiece ( Aslo by the same director theres Tatami Galaxi and Devilman Crybaby )

Dynamic Chord!
A very ironic title, may I add.
And these two words alone demonstrate how dumb OP is.
Apr 7, 2019 5:35 PM

Jul 2017
The perfect example of this is the latter half of Fate Apocrypha's fight scenes. The animation was superb but the art was so bad it was almost impossible to tell what was happening half the time

That being said though, I wouldn't go as far as to say "miles" better. J.C Staff is pretty notorious with having good art (Food Wars, DaL) but having pretty poor animation and it definitely hinders those shows

So ye good animation is about as important as good art
Apr 7, 2019 5:36 PM

Jan 2009
lol simple character design (or art style as fans call it) means animators especially talented ones can easily draw more frames and thus better animation (examples are Mob Psycho, Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, Ping Pong the Animation, Hells movie, heck even that hated new anime of Pokemon (its called Sun and Moon i think), etc)
Apr 7, 2019 5:37 PM

Nov 2018
ah
a shame
someone with one of my favorite characters as their pfp doesn't like Nakamura's animation.

Do you dislike Ping Pong the Animation? It has an ugly art style but the animation makes the value of the show increase to becoming a masterpiece
also do you dislike Mob Psycho
animation definitely makes artistry better. Clean art will just look crappy if the animation is horrible. Violet Evergarden only looks as beautiful as it does because the animation was on the same par as the artistry.
Apr 7, 2019 5:57 PM
Jul 2018
Anime as a medium hardly moves due to its budget and has a lot of scenes of people just standing around and talking to each other. In this case, I'll argue that art would be more important. How many shows can you name that animate actual lip movements? Hardly any right?
Apr 7, 2019 6:02 PM

Feb 2014
Whgedia said:

TodAboT said:
Whgedia said:

Dynamic Chord!

Dynamic Chord didn't have good art either.
But supposing it had good art, it's problem was trying to use techniques to try to convey movement that are used in anime (e.g making things "wobbly"). Using the appropriate techniques (e.g. the ones used in JoJo's) it would be miles better.

Short_Circut said:
The perfect example of this is the latter half of Fate Apocrypha's fight scenes. The animation was superb but the art was so bad it was almost impossible to tell what was happening half the time

That being said though, I wouldn't go as far as to say "miles" better. J.C Staff is pretty notorious with having good art (Food Wars, DaL) but having pretty poor animation and it definitely hinders those shows

The fact that in the last fight that one scene were the faces of both Sieg and the antagonist are zoomed in in detail leaves a stronger impression than the entire fight is probably one of the biggest arguments in favor of my point.
deg said:
lol simple character design (or art style as fans call it) means animators especially talented ones can easily draw more frames and thus better animation (examples are Mob Psycho, Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, Ping Pong the Animation, Hells movie, heck even that hated new anime of Pokemon (its called Sun and Moon i think), etc)

One can have simple character design and still have good art, some good examples would be HisoMaso or Kaiba.
Mob Psycho, Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill have a very good art, i don't know what you're talking about. As for Ping Pong the Animation, the problem lies that every character is just ugly as sin, so it is more of a character design issue than an art one. You could put it in a different artstyle but the characters would still be ugly, since the problem does not lie in the art.

Loonitick said:
ah
a shame
someone with one of my favorite characters as their pfp doesn't like Nakamura's animation.

Do you dislike Ping Pong the Animation? It has an ugly art style but the animation makes the value of the show increase to becoming a masterpiece
animation definitely makes artistry better. Clean art will just look crappy if the animation is horrible. Violet Evergarden only looks as beautiful as it does because the animation was on the same par as the artistry.

Never watched PingPong, but i enjoy Mob Psycho quite a bit, having rated the first season a 7/10 and the second an 8/10. A bit overrated i must say, but a pretty good anime nonetheless.
The art in it isn't bad either, it has a descent shading and a good sense of tridimensionality.
Apr 7, 2019 6:05 PM
Sep 2017
thewiru said:
Whgedia said:

TodAboT said:

Dynamic Chord!

Dynamic Chord didn't have good art either.
But supposing it had good art, it's problem was trying to use techniques to try to convey movement that are used in anime (e.g making things "wobbly"). Using the appropriate techniques (e.g. the ones used in JoJo's) it would be miles better.

Short_Circut said:

The fact that in the last fight that one scene were the faces of both Sieg and the antagonist are zoomed in in detail leaves a stronger impression than the entire fight is probably one of the biggest arguments in favor of my point.
deg said:

One can have simple character design and still have good art, some good examples would be HisoMaso or Kaiba.
Mob Psycho, Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill have a very good art, i don't know what you're talking about. As for Ping Pong the Animation, the problem lies that every character is just ugly as sin, so it is more of a character design issue than an art one. You could put it in a different artstyle but the characters would still be ugly, since the problem does not lie in the art.

Loonitick said:
ah
a shame

Never watched PingPong, but i enjoy Mob Psycho quite a bit, having rated the first season a 7/10 and the second an 8/10. A bit overrated i must say, but a pretty good anime nonetheless.
The art in it isn't bad either, it has a descent shading and a good sense of tridimensionality.
Watch ping pong the animation plz. Is worth it.
Apr 7, 2019 6:06 PM

Jan 2009
@thewiru

i got no idea what you meant by great character design then, give examples of what you meant
Apr 7, 2019 6:14 PM

Feb 2014
@Loonitick

I also have nothing against Nakamura either, it's just the cubes, i can't stand the cubes.

@Whgedia

Okay, will add it to my PTW, latelly i have been giving more and more space to "anime that decide to do something differently".

deg said:
@thewiru

i got no idea what you meant by great character design then, give examples of what you meant

I have no idea to which specific phrase of mine you're answering, so it is quite hard for me to do so.
Apr 7, 2019 7:12 PM

Oct 2010
To the OP: no xD. Artstyle is not more important than animation, not as a default. It depends, as usual with everything.

But I do think that animation is sometimes overstated or at least too reduced to some fundamental of it. Like fluidity. Is it really that relevant to the overall aesthetic of the scene? Not always. And there's not always the perfect correspondence that more fluid and lively animation = visually more appealing or praiseworthy. Sometimes a slower pace works, a minimal animation evokes more than an exaggeration of movement, etc. Again, it depends on the mood, the kind of show, what it wants to prioritize and how. Having something moving a lot does not mean being automatically better than other show with a bigger focus on quieter compositions.
Apr 7, 2019 7:21 PM

Jan 2009
thewiru said:

deg said:
@thewiru

I have no idea to which specific phrase of mine you're answering, so it is quite hard for me to do so.

i meant the title of this thread give examples of an anime with great art but bad animation
Apr 7, 2019 7:40 PM

Feb 2014
deg said:
thewiru said:

i meant the title of this thread give examples of an anime with great art but bad animation

Drifters, JoJo's, would be some easy examples.
If we enter the realm of opinions, some people complain about Overlord's animation, also, Killing Bites, one of my favorite anime, has various parts where it chooses to do camera movements instead of animation, and it works.
Apr 7, 2019 7:52 PM

Jan 2009
thewiru said:
deg said:

Drifters, JoJo's, would be some easy examples.
If we enter the realm of opinions, some people complain about Overlord's animation, also, Killing Bites, one of my favorite anime, has various parts where it chooses to do camera movements instead of animation, and it works.

welp i see now but i never bothered watching those 2 anime simply because of your reasoning on the thread title

i just usually prefer better animation
Apr 7, 2019 7:59 PM

Dec 2017
your opinion is objectively wrong.
Apr 7, 2019 8:23 PM

Jan 2009
Inferno Cop must be a masterpiece according to this thread lol
Apr 7, 2019 8:29 PM
Jan 2018
deg said:

I mean, it is.
But not because of the reasons menrioned above.
Apr 7, 2019 8:33 PM

Jan 2009
TodAboT said:
deg said:

I mean, it is.

lol ye its very funny at least but its another example of this thread saying good art is better than good animation
Apr 7, 2019 8:43 PM
Jan 2018
deg said:
TodAboT said:

I mean, it is.

lol ye its very funny at least but its another example of this thread saying good art is better than good animation

Comedy doesn't really need good animation (Unless it's like Nichijou or something).
As long as there is good timing, it doesn't matter.
There are a lot of comedies with bad art that are still funny, too.
Apr 7, 2019 8:49 PM

Jan 2009
TodAboT said:
deg said:

Comedy doesn't really need good animation (Unless it's like Nichijou or something).
As long as there is good timing, it doesn't matter.
There are a lot of comedies with bad art that are still funny, too.

lol ok but im relating Inferno Cop to the thread title
Apr 7, 2019 9:03 PM

Aug 2018
It depends on the genre, but generally the animation is more important imo. Also, a lot of shows with bad animation tend to have inconsistent art.
Apr 7, 2019 11:11 PM

Feb 2015
Nice static art is what you've got manga for.
Apr 7, 2019 11:37 PM

Jul 2007
Baki (2018) didn't have great animation but the art made up for it.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Apr 8, 2019 3:37 AM

Oct 2008
For me art includes character design, animation, background and the quality of the art. Even if people refer to these as separate, when I watch an anime I look at them as one.

Examples
Character design + animation + quality art + background = Mahou Tsukai no Yome.

Character design + Animation = Zetsuen no Tempest

Character design - Hakuouki, Black butler

And yeah separate them as much as you like, but to me they are one whole criteria.
Apr 8, 2019 3:57 AM

May 2013
they are not mutually exclusive so its not a good comparison.

I would say having a good storyline with good character development is more important than the animation (inclusive of the artwork).

Apr 8, 2019 4:07 AM

May 2018
It should be a compromise between art, animation and what the title wants to say.

For example usually drama doesn't need complex animated scenes but in some key moments of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu there are some amazing sakuga moments that add to the atmosphere and enhance the experience.

So neither of those elements is more important than the other, they must work together and be applied with the right dramatic timing.
Apr 8, 2019 4:20 AM

Dec 2012
Both of those things just get relegated to the same category when I rate anyway so it doesn't really matter.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 8, 2019 6:40 AM
Jul 2018
“In the history of CINEMA, masterpieces have existed without sound, without color, without a story, without actors and without music,” Cuarón wrote on social media about the decision. “No one single film has ever existed without CINEMAtography and without editing.”
Apr 8, 2019 6:52 AM

Feb 2012
While things like talking heads might seem like budget cuts, I also do not really like when a dialogue scene is needlessly chaotic in order to be "interesting".
Apr 8, 2019 6:54 AM

Aug 2010
good animation is probably more valuable in animation than ''good art''
look at mob psycho for instance
but really its a combination of cinematography, direction and animation that really matters. Your art could look like Ping Pong and it wont matter if there is something of value there.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Apr 8, 2019 6:55 AM

Oct 2013
Both are equally as important.

For the record, having simple (easier to animate) art is not the same as having bad art.
Apr 8, 2019 6:59 AM

Mar 2019
Eh, berserk 2016 has good art in some places but terrible animation which turned loads of people off it.

My anime review website: https://www.takanodan.net
Apr 8, 2019 7:03 AM

Apr 2016
By art you mean details or how things look in stilled frames.
But a big thing about animation is that they moves. If they dont movie fluidly, they might as well be a manga or an illustration.
I think most ppl would disagree if you say the second last episode of naruto vs sasuke fight in part one isnt better than other episodes of the fight.
You can have your own preference but there's a reason why animators choose to draw cubes for the sake of more fluid, energetic animation.

Edit: People do complain static animation. It's either you didnt see that or it's not so much of "flaw" as trait of mediocrity. People might not complain about sao fights look boring but people praise mob psycho 100 for having insane high octane animation with crazy camerawork.
Edit2: Hell people are already complaining about one punch man s2 looking bland when characters dont look too different from those in s1.
It's because that the animation from that trailer looks nothing close to what we saw in s1.
lunarxlunarApr 8, 2019 7:11 AM
Apr 8, 2019 8:18 AM

Sep 2014
I think the OP is right. Bad art can affect my enjoyment of the show while bad animation can just get mildly annoying. I remember having the urge to pyuk when I watched SoraYori because of those atrociously disgusting character design, but I never reacted like that because of horrible animation.
Apr 8, 2019 10:17 AM

May 2011
Storyboard = Scripting >>> Animation = Artistic Direction

A beautiful show can be as pretty as it wants, if it's hollow it is nothing more than eye candy you glance at and forget.
Apr 8, 2019 2:09 PM

Jan 2009
dc22 said:

For the record, having simple (easier to animate) art is not the same as having bad art.

yes but remember the controversy around Pokemon Sun and Moon anime? lots hate the look of the simple character design and they call it ugly

same with Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill there are haters of its simple character design too, heck even Mob Psycho is also called ugly by some just because of the simple character design
Apr 8, 2019 2:16 PM

Feb 2014
dipperdolphin said:
Eh, berserk 2016 has good art in some places but terrible animation which turned loads of people off it.

No, it doesn't.
Those close ups look terrible, the proprotions on these are back and they're too zoomed in, not to mention that it looks like they hired a Pink Pineaple to collour it because it also looks terrible. Also the hatches.
Apr 8, 2019 2:25 PM

Feb 2014
@Pylia

I couldn't relate to any of your four examples, not at all.

deg said:
dc22 said:

yes but remember the controversy around Pokemon Sun and Moon anime? lots hate the look of the simple character design and they call it ugly

same with Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill there are haters of its simple character design too, heck even Mob Psycho is also called ugly by some just because of the simple character design

No one nowadays says that either TTGL or Kill la Kill are ugly.

dc22 said:
Both are equally as important.

At first i would answer this with a certain level of sarcasm as in "Wow, it's almost as it was exactly what i said".
But then i remember that i only emphasized that in other place i made this exact same discussion, and while i still say that in this thread, is in the middle of another answer and not easy to find, so it's understandable.

Quoting myself:

Apr 8, 2019 2:25 PM

Mar 2019
thewiru said:
dipperdolphin said:

No, it doesn't.
Those close ups look terrible, the proprotions on these are back and they're too zoomed in, not to mention that it looks like they hired a Pink Pineaple to collour it because it also looks terrible. Also the hatches.
Meh, I’d disagree. I’d certainly say the majority of it was terrible, but there was some decent art splattered around in it ruined by the animation.

My anime review website: https://www.takanodan.net
Apr 8, 2019 3:31 PM

Jul 2013
deg said:
dc22 said:

Can't speak for everyone, but I hate the design not because of the simplicity, but because it actually looks ugly. The art looks like it's from a slapstick comedy anime, nothing I would expect from an action adventure kid show or not. The characters look like they're making the "priceless reaction face", except they stay that way 24/7.
Apr 8, 2019 3:45 PM

Jan 2009
thewiru said:

deg said:

No one nowadays says that either TTGL or Kill la Kill are ugly.

yes but im giving examples base on experience and observations so that includes old times
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

96 by rho34 »»
3 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 1 hour ago

2 by LightWorker »»
5 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Apr 23

27 by joseifan »»
6 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

207 by JessicaKari »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

66 by BatoKusanagi »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.