Forum Settings
Forums

Should Old and New Anime be Rated Using the Same Perspective?

New
Apr 7, 2019 9:42 AM

Nov 2017
Do you judge an older anime like Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Neon Genesis Evangelion by the industry standards from the year it aired, or do you look at them the same way you would a new series?
It's not like I like anime or anything.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 7, 2019 9:48 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
I rate all the same. I seriously cannot remember at what year, how Anime looked like. And good art/animation is good nevertheless what year it aired.

But yeah, no point. To rate by air date year. I would have to make complex system for rating. A.k.a make for each year few "examples" .. to use as basis to rate etc...

But no.
Rating is as always. You watch, you rate how you felt about. The end.
Apr 7, 2019 9:55 AM

Feb 2010
I always just score basd on how good I think they are and how much I enjoyed myself while watching them in the here and now. I'm not prejudiced against older titles or older animation so there isn't really anything to take into account that would change my score if I did try to 'rate by year' somehow. I'm not even sure how that would work, I only see it making a difference if your default is to like older shows less and you want to forcefully 'de-bias' yourself when you score them, but that seems pretty pointless too.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 7, 2019 9:57 AM
Feb 2017
I rate off my enjoyment. I can still enjoy older anime as much as newer anime.
Apr 7, 2019 10:04 AM

Nov 2017
Mythologically said:
I don't really see a point to look at them from their time period. You're watching them right now, so you should judge them from the present time's point of view.

That's one of the reasons why I have a hard time with older shows. But it doesn't explain why many old anime have such high scores. I think most people rate like @BlakexEkalb does, by enjoyment, although I consider other factors myself.

Apr 7, 2019 10:05 AM

Nov 2017
Pullman said:
I always just score basd on how good I think they are and how much I enjoyed myself while watching them in the here and now. I'm not prejudiced against older titles or older animation so there isn't really anything to take into account that would change my score if I did try to 'rate by year' somehow. I'm not even sure how that would work, I only see it making a difference if your default is to like older shows less and you want to forcefully 'de-bias' yourself when you score them, but that seems pretty pointless too.

In the end all rating systems are arbitrary. But debiasing yourself might be even more so.

Apr 7, 2019 10:06 AM

Jun 2017
Not using the same perspective is stupid. I don't really care if aired at 70s cuz I'm watching now
Apr 7, 2019 10:20 AM

Mar 2018
regardless whether something was made in the 20 century or not, you judge it by the current standards

context is important but not when making a universal judgement about a show
Apr 7, 2019 10:26 AM

Jul 2016
As long as the story is good and the characters are amazing, the work does not age.
Apr 7, 2019 11:02 AM

Jul 2017
The only difference in perspective would be for art (and in some cases animation). Can't expect an 80's anime to have KyoAni style visuals.

Rest is fair game though
Apr 7, 2019 12:56 PM

May 2009
angry_cactus said:
Do you judge an older anime like Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Neon Genesis Evangelion by the industry standards from the year it aired, or do you look at them the same way you would a new series?
I rate based on enjoyment, so I guess, yes.

However, I don't object to old art styles per se, I don't object to CGI per se, and so on.

The most relevant "superficial" factor that I consider is art style but that's based more on the specific art style, and there's both old and new styles that I dislike.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 7, 2019 1:27 PM
Jul 2018
If you see it this way, then today there isnt a chance for a 70+ episode romance, shojo or maho shojo title or a 50 episode scifi series like Captain Future or Urashiman. Or a 50 episode western novel adaptation (last one was Porphy).
So I try to keep things in perspective even for newer series.
Apr 7, 2019 1:29 PM

Apr 2019
Absolutely! Plenty of old anime are brilliant and plenty of new anime are shitty so why not?
Apr 7, 2019 1:37 PM

May 2016
I rate everything about the same way. Sure animation is different, and I do rate on animation, but it's not something that'll completely alter what I give it. It shouldn't matter when something came out, but rather if you enjoy the plot, characters, theme, soundtrack, etc.
Apr 7, 2019 1:39 PM
Apr 2014
I no longer rate anime based on whatever criteria because I see no point in doing so. But if you're the type of person who likes comparing things, then just rate it how you'd like to rate it. If we're talking about the animation, I think the older ones are better but that's just my opinion.
Apr 7, 2019 2:20 PM

Jul 2016
My scores are like this:

Up to 6 points for characters.
Up to 3 points for visuals.
1 point for story.

Every anime.
Apr 7, 2019 2:27 PM

Aug 2018
Same perspective? What do you mean , I rate it based on my enjoyment

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

Apr 7, 2019 2:54 PM

Jul 2015
angry_cactus said:
Mythologically said:
I don't really see a point to look at them from their time period. You're watching them right now, so you should judge them from the present time's point of view.

That's one of the reasons why I have a hard time with older shows. But it doesn't explain why many old anime have such high scores. I think most people rate like @BlakexEkalb does, by enjoyment, although I consider other factors myself.

Huh... Oldies rarely get scores above 8 because the lemmings who rate every seasonal 10 don't watch them. Are you saying they should all be rated 5 or below because they're outdated trash that was made during the prehistoric era of animation, back when our ancestors were communicating via smoke signals and drawing with burnt sticks because they had not invented the iPhone or digital animation yet?

Hmmm, I like where this totally-not-rehashed-a-hundred-times thread is going, with its undercover OP. Gimme more of that "the world started with my birth" millenial crap.
DeathkoApr 7, 2019 3:00 PM
Apr 7, 2019 2:58 PM

Mar 2018
i use the same rating scale regardless of the era. some old shows are fantastic while some are absolute garbage. same goes for modern stuff. you shouldnt rate something as better just because it was considered good when it came out, but it isnt now
Apr 7, 2019 3:21 PM

May 2014
It's up to the person watching it really. I don't really think about other anime coming out at the time or how influential the show is. I rate it based purely on how much i liked it.
Apr 7, 2019 7:23 PM

Nov 2017
Short_Circut said:
The only difference in perspective would be for art (and in some cases animation). Can't expect an 80's anime to have KyoAni style visuals.

Rest is fair game though

Don't forget about sound effects. Audio technology has come an equally long way.

Apr 7, 2019 7:24 PM

Nov 2017
Deathko said:
angry_cactus said:

Huh... Oldies rarely get scores above 8 because the lemmings who rate every seasonal 10 don't watch them. Are you saying they should all be rated 5 or below because they're outdated trash that was made during the prehistoric era of animation, back when our ancestors were communicating via smoke signals and drawing with burnt sticks because they had not invented the iPhone or digital animation yet?

Hmmm, I like where this totally-not-rehashed-a-hundred-times thread is going, with its undercover OP. Gimme more of that "the world started with my birth" millenial crap.

Geez I'm just tryin to understand other people's perspectives here. But what gives you the impression that I think the world started with my birth? And I'm not saying that old anime should be rated low either, go look at my list if you don't believe me. Some of my favorites are older shows.
AngryCactusApr 7, 2019 7:28 PM

Apr 7, 2019 7:30 PM

Oct 2010
You shouldn't even rate two shows from the same season under the same perspective in my opinion.
Apr 7, 2019 7:41 PM

Jul 2015
Short_Circut said:

Rest is fair game though

anime art/animation has not improved linearly
in fact, before the economy crash, 80s movies and ovas have some of the best animation in the medium.
Apr 7, 2019 7:50 PM

Mar 2016
Yeah.... expect in some eyecandy aspect like art, animation, sound, video quality etc. We shouldnt compare them

Apr 7, 2019 8:09 PM

Oct 2014
I rate anime with the same set of ideals every time I watch one. Older anime don't need some kind of pity points for being old but I'm also not putting on nostalgia glasses all the time and claiming that they're always better. If you look at my MALGraph my rating is pretty consistent across the anime timeline.
Apr 7, 2019 8:11 PM

Jan 2018
It depends on what criteria I'm judging it on. Obviously older anime had a different animation budget and there was hardly any if all any background CG to piece said animation in a fluid way. Also on a side note that doesn't only encompass anime/manga it's downright comical how many times I've seen people describe older things as generic as if there was a slew of other examples from that time to judge said thing on. For example, I'm not the biggest fan of Dragon Ball Z but I still see WAY too many people try to pass it off as generic basing it around modern battle shonen. It's kinda hard to be a generic series when the only big battle shonen that even comes to mind before Dragon Ball is Fist of the North Star.
What a beautiful Duwang
Apr 7, 2019 8:45 PM

Nov 2017
Jus1294 said:
It depends on what criteria I'm judging it on. Obviously older anime had a different animation budget and there was hardly any if all any background CG to piece said animation in a fluid way. Also on a side note that doesn't only encompass anime/manga it's downright comical how many times I've seen people describe older things as generic as if there was a slew of other examples from that time to judge said thing on. For example, I'm not the biggest fan of Dragon Ball Z but I still see WAY too many people try to pass it off as generic basing it around modern battle shonen. It's kinda hard to be a generic series when the only big battle shonen that even comes to mind before Dragon Ball is Fist of the North Star.

Word. Thats a great example, thank you.

Apr 7, 2019 9:12 PM

Jul 2017
Bunsuke said:
Short_Circut said:

Rest is fair game though

anime art/animation has not improved linearly
in fact, before the economy crash, 80s movies and ovas have some of the best animation in the medium.

I never implied anything about a linear improvement, hence the reason I said "in some cases animation." Of course there are gonna be shows, movies whatever that have better animation back then compared to now (compare something like Initial D to something like My Sister, My Writer) but that's the obvious case with most comparisons in general lmao
Apr 7, 2019 9:41 PM
Apr 2019
Well, in almost all cases, story is over animation and style for me. A good example is, Legend of Galactic Heroes. It looks rather, bad, compared to anything today, but it's story is so good the animation doesn't matter. Another good example is the original Gundam. It looks bad compared to today as well. In my opinion though, it is the best show in the franchise, because of the story, and how its told.

To me a good anime is a good anime. The only thing I can think of that might be looked at differently, would be something like Akira, or Ghost in the Shell. They may seem archaic now, but they changed the world, and made generations of people look at animation differently. I feel like Akira was such a feat of animation at the time, it should be considered when evaluating. It's something that should really be experienced by 1980s eyeballs.
Apr 7, 2019 9:45 PM

Nov 2017
Bungie_gum said:
Well, in almost all cases, story is over animation and style for me. A good example is, Legend of Galactic Heroes. It looks rather, bad, compared to anything today, but it's story is so good the animation doesn't matter. Another good example is the original Gundam. It looks bad compared to today as well. In my opinion though, it is the best show in the franchise, because of the story, and how its told.

To me a good anime is a good anime. The only thing I can think of that might be looked at differently, would be something like Akira, or Ghost in the Shell. They may seem archaic now, but they changed the world, and made generations of people look at animation differently. I feel like Akira was such a feat of animation at the time, it should be considered when evaluating. It's something that should really be experienced by 1980s eyeballs.

Yeah, sometimes its worth at least keeping in mind when something was made, but I don't think that should completely dictate how one analyzes things.

Apr 7, 2019 9:50 PM
Super Saiyan

May 2017
I don't really see how the time period of the anime is relevant when giving it a rating. It's animation, story, voice acting, characters, etc, etc is still what you judge it on, like a modern anime, so there shouldn't be a reason to rate it differently.
Apr 7, 2019 10:22 PM

Nov 2017
Lorenzo47 said:
I don't really see how the time period of the anime is relevant when giving it a rating. It's animation, story, voice acting, characters, etc, etc is still what you judge it on, like a modern anime, so there shouldn't be a reason to rate it differently.

Yup, I suppose you are exactly right. Only reason to change the perspective of a rating would be to compare the relative quality of different generations of anime as a whole, and maybe gain some new insight on it. But that seems like a lot of effort.

Apr 7, 2019 10:27 PM
Jan 2012
I feel neither answer is right or wrong. Rating a show is already completely subjective, people already hold the importance of originality in modern anime differently, with some people caring about it a ton, with others giving certain shows more leeway if it has a good enough reason
Apr 7, 2019 10:28 PM

Nov 2011
What the differences between older and newer animes ? Animation ? Some older show have much better animation than newer show, Future Boy Conan for example, and who said that NGE had bad animation compare to today anyway ?
Yeah even in a rather static show like LoGH, you can forget the animation if the story is really good imo.. Or better, old animation can compensate with some animation technique like in original Mobile Suit Gundam.. The famous 2 VS 2 fight from original Gundam was far more intense than most fight from modern show ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Apr 7, 2019 11:15 PM

Nov 2017
OnionKnightRises said:
I feel neither answer is right or wrong. Rating a show is already completely subjective, people already hold the importance of originality in modern anime differently, with some people caring about it a ton, with others giving certain shows more leeway if it has a good enough reason

*Nods head vigorously in agreement*

Apr 7, 2019 11:16 PM

Nov 2017
Jim_Heart said:
What the differences between older and newer animes ? Animation ? Some older show have much better animation than newer show, Future Boy Conan for example, and who said that NGE had bad animation compare to today anyway ?
Yeah even in a rather static show like LoGH, you can forget the animation if the story is really good imo.. Or better, old animation can compensate with some animation technique like in original Mobile Suit Gundam.. The famous 2 VS 2 fight from original Gundam was far more intense than most fight from modern show ...

I now have an excuse to watch the original gundam. Been putting that off for too long.

Apr 7, 2019 11:41 PM

Nov 2018
yeah, uh, what?
doesn't matter
what matters is the right now. Don't know if this is just a roundabout way of giving people the chance to say "Yea old anime is better than the new stuff"
new anime is just anime that is still being released and isn't completed yet. Really no difference other than that. unless you mean "new anime" as in the anime from this and last year(aka not old anime)... then again i'll say it doesn't matter.
Apr 8, 2019 12:41 AM
Super Saiyan

May 2017
angry_cactus said:
Lorenzo47 said:

Yup, I suppose you are exactly right. Only reason to change the perspective of a rating would be to compare the relative quality of different generations of anime as a whole, and maybe gain some new insight on it. But that seems like a lot of effort.

Yea agreed. If you're comparing to anime specifically to one another than I guess it would be a relevant factor. Again like you said tho, it would take a heap of effort. :)
Apr 8, 2019 5:07 AM

Jan 2013
I look at them the same way. It really doesn't make any difference to me in what year the anime was released. Just because an anime is being released now doesn't make it better. All old animes were new some day and all new animes will be old some day.
Apr 8, 2019 5:13 AM
May 2018
No.

8/10 new anime would be 3/10 old anime.
Apr 8, 2019 5:16 AM

Jul 2015
Psajdak said:
No.

hahaha I wanna see seasonal watchers trying old anime and desperately searching for the best girl/waifu material. Sorry guys but anime wasn't fetish material for lonely grown-ups back then.
Apr 8, 2019 5:51 AM
Dec 2018
angry_cactus said:

NGE is garbage. period. pretentious garbage what make it even worse.
Apr 8, 2019 5:53 AM

Oct 2010
Deathko said:
Psajdak said:
No.

hahaha I wanna see seasonal watchers trying old anime and desperately searching for the best girl/waifu material. Sorry guys but anime wasn't fetish material for lonely grown-ups back then.

Yeah, because harem is a relatively recent addition (I believe it first appeared as a
mainstream genre in the mid 90s?). But we are not in the 00s, your criticism is a bit outdated as well.
Apr 8, 2019 6:05 AM
Apr 2016
Sort of. 2000-2010 humor tends to be cringey so I don't take that into account as much when rating. Also, most anime before 2010 have really annoying female protagonists, so again, I'm more lenient with that.

Otherwise, I rate by enjoyment.
Apr 8, 2019 6:25 AM

Jul 2015
@jal90 Actually, Rumiko Takahashi is generally credited for the first harems with yurusei yatsura and Ranma, so that'd be more late 80s than 90s.
Nonetheless, I'm having a hard time finding walking caricatures of submissive asian grills in my old shows. You know, the kind of characters that make people fight for years here screaming "MY WAIFU REM IS THE BEST AND YOURS IS SHIT", trying to look ironic when they're in fact dead serious.

"but Rei"

Rei what?
Apr 8, 2019 6:45 AM

May 2018
Deathko said:
I'm having a hard time finding walking caricatures of submissive asian grills in my old shows.

- I think you are wrong about submissive = waifu material.
- Tons of submissive girls in the old shows
- I think characters like Mine Fujiko and Doronjo could be considers the old equivalent of waifus and they are anything but submissive.

On the main topic I am with jal90 - every show should be rated from it's own perspective and preferably in it's authentic context.
Apr 8, 2019 6:50 AM

Oct 2013
Of course.
If it aged badly rate it badly.
True classics aged like fine wine.
Apr 8, 2019 6:52 AM

Jul 2015
@alshu like the cardboard waifu from very popular modern shows?
Yeah, yeah, I know there was waifu stuff and harems before. NGE is a battle harem as far as I'm concerned. It's a question of portrayal and popularity more than anything. Do you see very popular 80s or 90s anime filled with a cast of walking dolls like S;G?
Apr 8, 2019 6:57 AM

Oct 2010
@Deathko Yeah I meant your stereotype of the lonely grown-up otaku, which by the 00s was already dumb and tired and nowadays is only brought up in a post-modern fashion by people who think it's funny to be ironic and self-aware all the time. Being into nerd stuff in general has become quite normalized lately and the stuff that appears in 00s representations of otaku in media are just dumb and corny stereotypes.

As for my comment on the origin of these discussions, I was thinking of Tenchi Muyo! mainly (Evangelion, too of course, but it didn't cross my mind), though Takahashi's works are also guilty of bringing and popularizing the waifu trends. Other than that, it's simply not true that discussions are geared towards best girls and waifus. Only certain kinds of shows promote best girl discussions in a regular way and there's not that many of them each season.
jal90Apr 8, 2019 7:02 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » From what side of the neck do you enjoy being bitten by your vampire master?

Catalano - 9 hours ago

11 by TsutanaiFuun »»
2 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

90 by FFandMMfan »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?

Dije - Yesterday

37 by TsutanaiFuun »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

54 by DesolatePsyche »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Yesterday

128 by DesolatePsyche »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.