Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2019 3:29 AM
Dec 2018
This was wondeful animation and beautiful Gold story, i very excited this manga adapted in ufotable, i dont know want to say about this anime, best anime 2019 spring ever ever!! 😆😆😆😆 waiting zenitsu breath of lightning animation, love it!!!
Apr 7, 2019 3:36 AM

Mar 2019
Visuals are great but I'm unimpressed with everything else. I was hoping the demon would look scarier. Since she's sticking around for now I guess they weren't gonna make her too gross looking, but I'm hoping other demons look horrific.
poemofdevilApr 7, 2019 3:47 AM
Apr 7, 2019 4:19 AM

Apr 2017
This is really great. I loved the animations. This could be my show of the season if it continues in this direction.
Apr 7, 2019 4:49 AM
Aug 2018
One of Best anime of spring season. I just know
Apr 7, 2019 4:49 AM
Mar 2017
Ufotable's animation and the show's premise are covering up the pedestrian direction/writing. Not a bad first episode but the super slow first half was bogged down by very cliche dialogue and a tired sequence of events leading to the family's slaughter.

Apr 7, 2019 4:54 AM
Jul 2018
the animation and soundtracks are so good, also the ending song is lit
Apr 7, 2019 5:44 AM

Jan 2019
amazing start definitely, gonna be sick. especially since its 26 episodes
Apr 7, 2019 5:45 AM

May 2009
Ventus_S said:
Basically Owari no Seraph : Jump Edition.

There's no difference between the oni and vampire.
And ofc there'd be an edgy demon hunting organization with full of youngsters.

So far the execution and presentation is good, but it's quite generic atm.

It's not set in post apocaliptic world but early 1900s, not every demon hunter is edgy. Generic lost all it's meaning these days.
Also OnS is also Jump title, Jump SQ one.
Apr 7, 2019 5:51 AM

Jul 2016
Aside from one scene near the beginning where music was way too dramatic for what was going on, it was pretty good. Character designs are good, animation's good, pacing and tone setting with dialogue was a bit clunky in a few places, but i'll probably stick with it.
Apr 7, 2019 5:55 AM
Jan 2017
not bad compared to manga ill give 9/10
Apr 7, 2019 6:17 AM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
First 3-4 minutes was a bit iffy, but the rest was so gobsmackingly good that it makes up for it more than enough.

Rowan_F said:
Aside from one scene near the beginning where music was way too dramatic for what was going on, it was pretty good.

^ I felt the exact same
Apr 7, 2019 6:42 AM
Apr 2018
Amazing first episode good to see a shounun that is more about tatics than jus pure power and strength alone.
And the fact his sister is still inside fighting against herself and protecting her brother
Apr 7, 2019 7:39 AM
Mar 2014
That's the best way to start a new series with a Bang! :D

This is turning out to be quite good.

Yet another spin for more Vampire related stories, but I like the settings and what it's working up to become, very nice.
Apr 7, 2019 8:49 AM
Dec 2011
Wow! These kinds of shonen series tend to start off generic and cheesy and TBH I did get a bit of that vibe when Tanjiro when into town to sell the coal... but damn it really picked up and the animation quality was downright beautiful! I wasn't expecting this good of a start.
Apr 7, 2019 8:51 AM
Feb 2018
FilipDespa said:
SatanicAlpha said:
That was a really good first episode. I checked out the manga though and the ratings were relatively low. Is there anyone that could tell me why? Just wondering and hoping that this show won't dip down in quality as it progresses. The animation and soundtracks were dope, and I believe in ufotable.

Its because the start is kinda weak and generic, and it gets much much better later on. However, ufotable managed to intrigue people and from now on reviews will get much more positive for both medias.

This. The selling point of the work isn't the premise and the first few chapters doesn't really pull the trigger for most audience, and that's completely understandable. But this is a show where it builds up its world and the characters gradually and achieves in doing so in a very creative manner later down the road, which helps the work to become unique to be able to stand out on its own.

A lot of people are disappointed or comparing and complaining that the start of the story is weak, and cliche-- but that's like saying all humans within certain stereotypes are plain and generic and all are the same with no room to grow further. Narrative isn't necessarily one dimensional and a straight line. It comes in many different forms and depths just like people.

So starting out from the cliche doesn't mean it's automatically a failure and have no more room to grow, it actually is the total opposite, a cliche start can be a stepping stone for a show to kick off from, and eventually find its own solid footing as the story progresses on further.

I hope the audience who are new to this series gives this show a chance instead of completely neglecting its potential and cutting it out because it didn't meet up to their standards from the get go.
lemonad0Apr 7, 2019 12:03 PM
Apr 7, 2019 8:58 AM
Nov 2016
RufiusMillennium said:
looked bland to me. the 2d make up over cg looked good, but everyone's face is so cute and the actions are so stiff. intense moment didn't feel intense for me. and far too many monologue.
I agree with you bro, i find it quite stiff in motions. It's like spoiling the great colouring and background.
Apr 7, 2019 9:21 AM
Jul 2018
Tanjirou's seiyuu is horrible, he overplays a lot.

The use of blood (I'm talking about the house's scene) and emotions are exaggerated, it was very tasteless.

The tragedy at the beginning wasn't well done because we already saw it a lot of times before (recent example : the promised nevelrand). They wanted to hit the spectator --> it has failed concerning me. They should try to do like Berserk : during a long time you see an adventure with the protagonist and his friends. Then there's a big event which changes everything. Readers were bound with characters, so the tragedy was well done (even if I didn't care about it in Berserk). But I know it's impossible to do it with a show which is from Weekly shonen jump.

Tanjirou talks too much, it cancels the immersion.

I find this show very bad written sometimes, like during the demon slayer's speech or when the show tries to give informations about demons.

When someone tells it's normal that weaks are eaten by strongs and while his own job is to protect weaks, isn't it stupid ? Or did I misunderstand his speech ? (I wasn't very focus while I was watching this scene).

Art is good during fight, CGI can be well used. But CGI can be horrible too, like when Tanjirou is walking in the snow.

Sound is good, there is Kajiura Yuki. I've nothing particular to say about it.

This show has potential because Tanjirou will have a lot of enemies : Demon slayers + demons + villagers (who should be scared of Nezuko). I think it will be hard for him to trust anyone. So he will have to hide Nezuko, and always protect her while she can be very dangerous for him.

I hope the scenarist is talented and has written a good story and has not wasted its potential like a lot of show from weekly shonen jump.

I give to this episode 6/10.
removed-userApr 7, 2019 2:54 PM
Apr 7, 2019 9:31 AM
Dec 2010
Easily one of the best first episodes I've seen in a long, long time.
Apr 7, 2019 9:48 AM

Apr 2015
First 4 minutes and theres already shitty cgi. Not very high hopes for this
Apr 7, 2019 9:57 AM
Jul 2018
Very good start, animation, art. Hope more for this
Apr 7, 2019 10:03 AM

Mar 2019
Zeyratul said:

The use of blood (I'm talking about the house's scene) and emotions are exaggerated, it was very tasteless.

The tragedy at the beginning wasn't well done because we already saw it a lot of times before (recent example : the promised nevelrand).

Yes, usually in first episode of an anime tragedies could happen in order to hook the spectator, but I don't think you should put The promised neverland as an example since the manga came after KnY, just the anime came before.
Apr 7, 2019 10:10 AM

Mar 2019
I liked it overall, the animation is great to watch concerning me and the MC seems cool and clever. For me it's too early to judge but i'm beyond excited. Lot of people said this is the weakest and worst part of the manga, but what happens in the trailers seems very interesting to me so I think this show will get better and better. Great!
Apr 7, 2019 10:15 AM
Jul 2018
Giulia14 said:
Zeyratul said:

The tragedy at the beginning wasn't well done because we already saw it a lot of times before (recent example : the promised nevelrand).

Yes, usually in first episode of an anime tragedies could happen in order to hook the spectator, but I don't think you should put The promised neverland as an example since the manga came after KnY, just the anime came before.

I never said that the promised neverland created tragedy in 1st episode and Kimetsu no Kaiba copied.

It was just a random example, even if TPN is published after KNY it doesn't matter because there are a lot of shows which did that before Kimetsu no Yaiba and the promised neverland.
removed-userApr 7, 2019 2:54 PM
Apr 7, 2019 10:18 AM
Apr 2010
Zeyratul said:

The tragedy at the beginning wasn't well done because we already saw it a lot of times before (recent example : the promised nevelrand). They wanted to hit the spectator --> it has failed concerning me. They should try to do like Berserk : during a long time you see an adventure with the protagonist and his friends. Then there's a big event which changes everything. Readers were bound with characters, so the tragedy was well done (even if I didn't care about it in Berserk). But I know it's impossible to do it with a show which is from Weekly shonen jump.

Tanjirou talks too much, it cancels the immersion.

I find this show very bad written sometimes, like during the demon slayer's speech or when the show tries to give informations about demons.

When someone tells it's normal that weaks are eaten by strongs while his job is to protect weaks, isn't it stupid ? Or did I misunderstand his speech ? (I wasn't very focus while I was watching this scene).

Art is good during fight, the CGI can be well used. But CGI can be horrible too, like when Tanjirou is walking in the snow.

Sound is good, there is Kajiura Yuki. I've nothing particular to say about it.

This show has potential because Tanjirou will have a lot of enemies : Demon slayers + demons + villagers (who should be scared of Nezuko). I think it will be hard for him to trust anyone. So he will have to hide Nezuko, and always protect her while she can be very dangerous for him.

I hope the scenarist is talented and has written a good story and not wasting its potential like a lot of show from weekly shonen jump.

I give to this episode 6/10.

I've got nothing to add except the fact that music in this episode is probably directed by Go Shiina judging from the vocals use, even if there are a lot of string instruments which are Yuki's style
Apr 7, 2019 11:47 AM

Mar 2013
I never understood people who say oh its a cliche and has been done before, like no shit sherlock you know how many shows and movies have been created? its about execution. The story hopefully will develop amazingly
CloudeApr 7, 2019 12:00 PM
Apr 7, 2019 11:58 AM
Feb 2018
Cloude said:
I never understood who say oh its a cliche and has been done before, like no shit sherlock you know how many shows and movies have been created? its about execution. The story hopefully will develop amazingly

GOD BLESS YE

Honestly, nowadays nothing is absolutely original. Even the most interesting premise has been done previously and has been inspired from executions from the past.

So I completely agree with your statement. It's about the deliverance and how the characters and the story will be growing from here on

We shouldn't focus on the idea of originality but pursue to see how the work comes into fruition.
Apr 7, 2019 12:03 PM

Mar 2013
skacinth said:
Cloude said:
I never understood who say oh its a cliche and has been done before, like no shit sherlock you know how many shows and movies have been created? its about execution. The story hopefully will develop amazingly

GOD BLESS YE

Honestly, nowadays nothing is absolutely original. Even the most interesting premise has been done previously and has been inspired from executions from the past.

So I completely agree with your statement. It's about the deliverance and how the characters and the story will be growing from here on

We shouldn't focus on the idea of originality but pursue to see how the work comes into fruition.

Every idea has derived from another, that's how new ideas come to fruition. Nice to see some people understand this, everyone saying oh it was too dramatic and cliche makes you wonder if they are new to anime, because wtf thats what anime delivers best, the emotional delivery in animes have to be top tier
Apr 7, 2019 12:15 PM
Feb 2018
Cloude said:
skacinth said:

GOD BLESS YE

Every idea has derived from another, that's how new ideas come to fruition. Nice to see some people understand this, everyone saying oh it was too dramatic and cliche makes you wonder if they are new to anime, because wtf thats what anime delivers best, the emotional delivery in animes have to be top tier

Same here, glad to see someone who can see things from more sensible perspective.

Not every story will start from the very beginning of a journey (as in going through and building the phases of becoming attached to the character and their family so when the tragedy hits, it'll run the audience over with emotional truck.).

We kick off the story from trigger/turning point for the MC, and it's about the journey that the MC goes through from there as the deeper plot medium unfolds.

Narrative comes in many types and forms and this show decides to take the cliche start, as a stepping stone, in my humble opinion at least (the cliche is used to setup a bigger picture).

And yeah, I agree. If you actually see the amount of training the voice actors go through to deliver the emotions through the characters on screen, they're actually like putting their heart and soul into this single character to deliver the emotions-- which is missed from the manga, so the anime definitely heightens the quality of the original work if done right.
lemonad0Apr 7, 2019 12:28 PM
Apr 7, 2019 12:33 PM
Oct 2016
LiSA + Yuri Kajiura + ufotable = masterpiece :)
Apr 7, 2019 12:56 PM
Dec 2018
tanjirou's va sucks lol
Apr 7, 2019 1:14 PM
Aug 2018
I absolutely loved this episode. I really love the art style and animation, the plot seems really interesting and i can't wait for the next episode! The opening is really damn good as well :D

(and the characters look absolutely perfect ;o;)
Apr 7, 2019 1:17 PM

Feb 2014
That was a really good start to this show. I'm impressed. =)

It's interesting to see ufotable animating a series from WSJ, but their production values for the first episode was solid. Lovely sharp character designs and visuals paired up with strong animation and a great soundtrack to boot makes for a fantastic combination.

Tanjiro shows signs of a promising MC and although he got his backside handed to by the demon hunter, his tactic of trying to hit him was impressive. I'll look forward to seeing Tanjiro getting stronger as the show goes on.

The OP is from LiSA and she's in top form once again. That'll be another song added to my iPod in the future! =P
Apr 7, 2019 1:35 PM
Oct 2016
This first episode was phenomenal. The use of 3d animation and sound was stunning. I can`t wait to see what happens next.
Apr 7, 2019 1:36 PM
Apr 7, 2019 1:49 PM
Jan 2019
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Interesting start, it introduced protagonist Tanjirou along with the fictional setting of their world. The animation quality looks great and it didn't take long for him to encounter a bloody scene in the first episode. Oh Nezuko...

Not just her though but seeing those sights of death is really tragic. The catch is that Nezuko didn't die and is instead shown as a demon.

On most parts, I think the episode was executed well. Even felt the music had a consistent feel to it, probably the best among this Spring lineup.

Agreed
I think best anime to come out of this seasons batch
Apr 7, 2019 1:53 PM
Jan 2019
I have never liked an anime so quick before!
Loved the animation
The Charachter designs look very cool

Probably...one of the first animes that ive enjoyed from just watching the first episode to see whats gonna happen next.

The Opening.....omg where do I start XD
the song sounds awesome
and the animation for the opening.......DAYUM!

Definitly my fav anime out of this seasons batch so far.
Apr 7, 2019 2:04 PM

Sep 2017
I got strong Dororo feels from the first episode

And that's a really good thing, I think I'll enjoy this anime a lot
Apr 7, 2019 2:05 PM

Jan 2016
Felt pretty rushed, and the animation, while pretty aight, really didn't meet expectations I had for Ufotable, im sad to say.
Apr 7, 2019 2:13 PM
Oct 2016
Animation was amazing, however this anime seems dreadful.
Apr 7, 2019 2:19 PM

Jul 2016
The first episode was really good, I'm looking forward to episode 2 !
Apr 7, 2019 2:31 PM

Aug 2017
Great first episode! I got some Dororo (story) mixed with Golden Kamuy vibes (setting) with this one. I love the family theme and Tanjirou seems to be a tough character caring for his demon sister and all. I am definitely sticking with this anime.
Apr 7, 2019 2:50 PM

Feb 2014
ufotable is back!!!!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Apr 7, 2019 2:57 PM
Feb 2009
dang that was pretty good for first episode.
Apr 7, 2019 3:15 PM
Jul 2018
It's just an above average manga, but the presentation here is great. Hopefully this will remain good too.
Apr 7, 2019 3:30 PM

Mar 2010
I really like the snow animation of this anime. Captivating episode
Apr 7, 2019 4:14 PM
Mar 2015
When they breathe and you can see the mist come out of their mouth bruh so gooooood
Apr 7, 2019 4:41 PM
Jan 2016
ufotable attention to animation puts most studio to shame just shows the merits of great talent and good scheduling, that said still has a problem of not showing but just telling.

Example

1st The old man and his family, in reality, the MC doesn't actually have to spell it out to the audience his family died due to demons. They could have easily shown MC going in the house seeing an extra room and sees photos ( or drawing) of his family members in the background.

2nd the meeting with the parents and siblings a lot of dialogue feels unnature and stilted it sounds unrealistic. Instead of building the relationship with the family we just have everyone love the MC, it honestly be better if u have two days atleast the family and MC doing day to day activities.... So we they died the death would be more impactful.

3rd Music is good however its really not subtle whatsoever, its quite blatant so when seeing that family you knew they die straight away.

4th they just need less exposition example for the smell of things, they can show something visually and see MC perspective like if its blood we see red .... However its a little bit more acceptable just due to it looks like the MC by himself the majority of the time.

I understand why its so quick because SJ manga have gotten much much more fast pace due to the low attention spam of viewers nowdays and spending time like i stated would be consider a waste of time or filler. Plus when your episode is only 24minutes and its the first episode you have to bring a hook for audiences to keep watching. Anyways pretty solid

Apr 7, 2019 4:59 PM

May 2016
felt a bit like a rush into the plot but great animation as per usual from ufotable! Looking forward to this series, I like this concept

Apr 7, 2019 5:26 PM

Oct 2015
Rei366 said:
@Ataccot So, the manga has the same tone and the same level of violence? Funny for a recent jump thing.
"more palatable"? Do you mean that the mangaka isn't good to depict action/movements ? Is it his layout or a lack of dynamism in his drawings?

I'd say all of the above, at least at the beginning. The manga art is okay but the anime looks better. Plot is fast paced and kind of abrupt at certain points. The action doesn't feel all that impactful thanks to the layout not being the best and things pretty much just happening instantly without being coherent.

But all of this could be due to the mangaka trying to find their footing with their first series and a WSJ title at that. Apparently manga can get axed quickly from WSJ if they don't get results and have a wide appeal. That could explain the fast pacing and "just okay" other aspects. Maybe it gets better later, but from what I've read so far I'm not impressed.
Apr 7, 2019 6:41 PM

Jan 2019
So far so good, the opening and the animation quality is really nice
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 18, 2019

312 by CicadaRex »»
12 hours ago

» I don't get it

n0tSamir - Jul 7, 2023

34 by guts4ever »»
Apr 22, 12:44 PM

» Gurenge becomes top selling digital single song in Reiwa era

FZREMAKE - Apr 15

19 by Naveen6662246 »»
Apr 22, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2019

272 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 20, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 20, 2019

282 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 19, 11:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.