Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 6, 2019 2:36 AM

Aug 2017
Have your parents ever seen anime? Perhaps, they watch anime with you?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 6, 2019 2:38 AM

Dec 2017
Nope, my mom thinks it's a children cartoon xD
Apr 6, 2019 3:09 AM
Mar 2018
Back when I was a child my parents would watch anime with me. Now, they still watch it everytime I play it on tv. I remember watching Attack on Titan with my mom and my siblings. (I was only rewatching it tho) I was giggling because I found her reactions funny. She was like "Oh my God. Look at that! There's a giant cannibal! Ahhhhh! Oh my God! His mother was eaten!!!" My siblings were all shocked about what's happening in the anime. I could still remember the look on their faces. Lol
BadasshanApr 6, 2019 3:39 AM
Apr 6, 2019 3:23 AM

Aug 2017
I've once tried to watch an anime movie (The Wind Rises) with my father. But after 20 minutes into the movie, he immediately fell asleep lol.
Apr 6, 2019 3:31 AM

May 2014
I watch a lot of anime with my mum and dad, but mainly my mum. She's seen almost 50 shows now with her favourite being Nana.
Apr 6, 2019 3:36 AM

Dec 2015
Nope. There's almost no anime which has Dutch subs or dubs. Guess what's the only language they speak.
Apr 6, 2019 3:43 AM

Jan 2013
Sure they've watched some DBZ episodes as I was young if that counts
Apr 6, 2019 3:46 AM

Sep 2011
My father can only watch stuff dubbed, and small amounts.

Naturally, Dragon Ball, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh.
Recent though, I hooked him onto Boku no Hero Academia while my brother and cousin hooked him onto One Piece and Yu Yu Hakusho.

The one thing that still shocks me is how he still manages to watch Pokemon. I stopped after 14th season, but he's still going strong.

Only one he has had to tell me he watched before is Mobile Suit Gundam, but could not tell me which one.
Apr 6, 2019 3:56 AM

Feb 2016
I can hardly get my mom to even watch a scene I found amusing. She just doesn't get it. At all lol.
Same goes for my dad really.

I think that people either love anime or don't get it at all and think they're cartoons meant for kids.
Apr 6, 2019 4:16 AM

Mar 2015
I went to watch Kimi no Na Wa with my mom at the cinema and she really liked it. She's also seen a fair share of Ghibli movies. Next up I wanna make her watch JoJo, even though there's no way she'd enjoy it lul
Apr 6, 2019 4:20 AM
Feb 2014
I haven't watched any anime with my mom in a long time, but we used to watch many anime together though.

She's seen these: Pretear, Fruits Basket, Full Moon wo Sagashite, Matantei Loki Ragnarok, Rockman.EXE, Lovely Complex, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist(2003 version), Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh! GX(only the third arc), Naruto + a part of Naruto Shippuden, D.Gray-man(not including Hallow), Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, Karneval, Tegamibachi + Tegamibachi Reverse, Touken Ranbu Hanamaru(not including Zoku) and Katsugeki Touken Ranbu. She's enjoyed almost all of them but wasn't a fan of Matantei Loki Ragnarok, Pretear and Yu-Gi-Oh!

I also made my grandmother watch some anime as well, but only a little bit since she only comes to visit once a year for a month and i show her one episode a day. She's seen: A bit of Naruto, Some of Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, Karneval, Tegamibachi(only the first season), Touken Ranbu Hanamaru + Zoku Touken Ranbu Hanamaru and Katsugeki Touken Ranbu, she doesn't really like the violence though and i think she preferred the slice of life portions of Reborn! and Touken Ranbu more lol.

Also, since neither of them know english, i have to play narrator and translate it back into our language so they understand.

My father hasn't seen any anime and my Sister thinks i'm just being childish for watching cartoons and need some other occupations....
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Apr 6, 2019 4:24 AM

Nov 2017
My mom would watch Yu-Gi-Oh and Avatar the Last Airbender(although its not considered an anime) with me and my sister any time it was on TV, but my dad would always disparage the both of them to no end for being childish. I've never seen either of them watching any cartoons, nevermind anime, on their own. I've never recommended an anime to them or watched one with them either.
It's not like I like anime or anything.

Apr 6, 2019 4:37 AM

May 2018
"Do your parents watch anime?"
Not really.

My mother watched Detective Conan when it was airing on local TV (ep 1-200, local language subtitles) because she likes detective series also I showed her Cowboy Bebop and Macross Zero. I think she liked them both but never wanted to see more...maybe because those have sad endings...or just she dislikes the animated format.

My father would never touch the stuff.
Apr 6, 2019 4:44 AM

Mar 2019
Zax1e said:

Omg same!
Except both my parents think its cartoon.
"You're having lewd thoughts aren't you?"
"My thoughts are a hundred times more lewd that what you're imagining."

--Sakurajima Mai and Azusagawa Sakuta Bunny Girl Senpai
Apr 6, 2019 5:02 AM

Aug 2018
My mom thinks that every time someone (character or in real life) speaks in japanese, it seems like they're fighting and yelling at each other, and that they are always grumpy, it's a big no for her, but my dad watched dub Dragon Ball as a kid, although that is as far as he'll get probably.
Apr 6, 2019 5:24 AM

Jan 2013
No, actually they're the worst type of ignorants - people who only saw some Disney movies and now think that animation can't ba as serious as live action and only kids can enjoy it. Yes, this includes anime. I gave them Sennen Joyuu on dvd but I'm not sure if they're ever going to watch it. Maybe I should just give them Perfect Blue, it has naked tits on the back cover, should pique their interest.
Apr 6, 2019 5:24 AM

Jul 2014
My mother absolutely loves Studio Ghibli as well as House of Small Cubes and also enjoyed both Death Note and Little Witch Academia. That's pretty much the extent of it though.
Take care of yourself

Apr 6, 2019 5:31 AM
Jul 2018
I tried to make my mum watch attack on titan but she gave a straight 'no' even if she was interested in it years ago when I didn't even know about anime
Apr 6, 2019 6:30 AM

Dec 2017
MrMcBunch said:
Zax1e said:

Omg same!
Except both my parents think its cartoon.

uh my father doesn't even give a shit hes not judging me 😂 he saw me watching anime multiple times but never even said anything.
Apr 6, 2019 6:34 AM
Jul 2015
I am a parent and I watch anime... that counts?
perkunos.blogspot.com
Apr 6, 2019 6:48 AM
Apr 2019
Nope my mom only knows Dragon ball....
But one time when she saw me watching Fairy tail
She scolded me just because she is concern about Erza's custom.... I'am thirteen though... maybe when you're not a fan costume are big deal😑
Apr 6, 2019 6:50 AM
Nov 2017
My mom once wanted to see what I'm into and I showed her the first episode of no game no life xd
Well, she didn't love it
Apr 6, 2019 6:51 AM

Jul 2016
Death Note is the only Anime, I showed some scenes to my mom, and she also saw the manga I had of it in my room (the only manga I ever bought, love this series)
Apr 6, 2019 8:47 AM

Dec 2017
My parents don't watch anime. Doraemon is the only anime they know.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Apr 6, 2019 8:51 AM
Apr 2016
I’ll watch the occasion anime here or there with my dad. But he isn’t big fan of anime or anything and he could really tell you anything about besides it’s stuff made in Japan. Only ones he really knows about are Pokemon, YuGiOh and Dragon Ball cause I watched those to no end as a kid

Apr 6, 2019 1:22 PM

Jun 2017
Yes, my mom watched actually a lot anime but my dad nope
Apr 6, 2019 1:26 PM

Dec 2013
You see, my mom understands neither Japanese nor English and very few anime get released in our language. So nope.

I've made my dad watch Ghost in the Shell and Psycho-Pass but he said especially the latter was too violent for him :V
Apr 6, 2019 3:32 PM

Nov 2017
My mom read the Fullmetal Alchemist manga. I'll most likely end up buying Brotherhood so she can watch that
Apr 6, 2019 3:59 PM

Nov 2015
I actually found out a while back that my dad has seen almost double the amount of shows that I have watched - allbiet he's a dubs only kind of guy.
My mom on the other hand, I actually managed to get her into watching anime after I gave her Your Lie in April. I've since followed up with a few Ghibli films, Koe no Katachi, Fairy Tail, and really just any SoL or CGDCT anime
ISOQuorraApr 6, 2019 4:04 PM
Apr 6, 2019 4:03 PM
Jul 2018
My parents have watched Ghibli films, Koe No Katachi and Kimi No Na Wa, but they refuse to watch any actual anime series lol
Apr 6, 2019 4:19 PM
Apr 2019
I don't remember ever watching anything with my parents. I can't imagine what that would even be like.
Apr 15, 2019 7:36 PM
Jan 2018
I introduced my mom to anime, and she seems interested in it. I doubt she'd watch it in her free time unless i'm with her due to it having a cartoon-y style.
Apr 15, 2019 7:39 PM

Jul 2014
I made my mom watch Koe no Katachi. Her first anime ever.
Apr 15, 2019 7:42 PM

Jan 2018
Yeah, my mom watches anime with me. Her favorites are Aria, Yuru Camp, Wolf Children and Made in Abyss, but she's loved just about anything I've introduced her to (then again I only show her things I know she'll enjoy, lol).

ShiroBlake said:
My mom once wanted to see what I'm into and I showed her the first episode of no game no life xd
Well, she didn't love it

LOL, I think you really should've considered a different show.. xD
GreyleafApr 15, 2019 7:45 PM

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Apr 15, 2019 8:43 PM

Sep 2018
I found out that my mum watched Sailor Moon during the 90's which is pretty nice. I'm thinking of showing her another anime sometime soon, maybe Attack on Titan?

Apr 15, 2019 11:39 PM
Nov 2017
Greyleaf said:
Yeah, my mom watches anime with me. Her favorites are Aria, Yuru Camp, Wolf Children and Made in Abyss, but she's loved just about anything I've introduced her to (then again I only show her things I know she'll enjoy, lol).

ShiroBlake said:
Well, she didn't love it

probably yes but she wanted to see my favorite xd Idk why I didn't think of another one
Do you guys watch dubbed or subbed?
Apr 15, 2019 11:40 PM

Sep 2014
My father does though he is only limited to movies.
Apr 16, 2019 12:05 AM

Apr 2017
No, my mom makes fun of me and she even told me off yesterday saying "at least watch in english"
Apr 16, 2019 1:56 AM

Aug 2017
Greyleaf said:

ShiroBlake said:
Well, she didn't love it

Greyleaf: Mom, do you want to see anime with me?
Mom: No thanks.
Greyleaf: But I have good things for you. You will be amazed!
Mom: No, but thanks.
Greyleaf: Well, I think I have to use hard methods.

The next day...

Mom: Hi dear. How's it going today? I saw Aria that you recommended and it was great "Under pressure of being killed"!
Apr 16, 2019 2:08 AM

Jan 2018
Psytrance said:
Greyleaf said:

Greyleaf: Mom, do you want to see anime with me?
Mom: No thanks.
Greyleaf: But I have good things for you. You will be amazed!
Mom: No, but thanks.
Greyleaf: Well, I think I have to use hard methods.

The next day...

Mom: Hi dear. How's it going today? I saw Aria that you recommended and it was great "Under pressure of being killed"!

LOL. Yeah, you definitely caught on to me ;D

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Apr 16, 2019 2:17 AM

Apr 2011
My dad did. He loved cheesy old stuff like Speed Racer or Voltron.
His favorite stuff was Miyazaki films though.
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Apr 16, 2019 2:19 AM
Jul 2018
We used all sitting together to watch Candy Candy in the 80s.Not just us, the whole country
Apr 16, 2019 2:55 AM
Dec 2018
Psytrance said:
Have your parents ever seen anime? Perhaps, they watch anime with you?

my parents and brother allwayes thought anime is childlish
Apr 16, 2019 2:58 AM

Mar 2018
No, in fact, they hated it and my father tried to make me hate it too. But eventually they gave up when I told them that Heidi and a lot of other childrens TV was also Anime. Now the only Anime they sort of like is Pokemon but they do not watch it actively.
Apr 16, 2019 3:04 AM

Jul 2017
I got my mother to watch Ghibli movies, sports anime, some shoujo and sol anime with me. She absolutely love Yowamushi Pedal the most.

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Apr 16, 2019 3:18 AM

Jan 2017
Dad...
Apr 16, 2019 3:48 AM

Jul 2013
My mom used to love Sailor moon when she was a teenager
Apr 16, 2019 4:32 AM

Aug 2017
Actually my father got me into Captain Herlock, Ulysse 31, Captain Future and Taiyou no Ko Esteban when I was young and I later got him back into animes and mangas with Death Note and One Piece.

Lately he's been watching My Hero Academia, Food Wars, One Punch Man, Dragon Ball Super and some dramas.

And my uuncle's fan of Chobits and Bleach.

Cool guys.
MucharetsuApr 16, 2019 4:42 AM
Apr 16, 2019 8:08 AM

Nov 2010
Nope. No chance in hell they'd ever be interested in anime. lol
Apr 16, 2019 8:14 AM

Apr 2019
They sometimes watch those airing anime on tv and most of them have cool visuals.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

25 by Kdog1998 »»
55 seconds ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

75 by L0bsterman »»
8 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

117 by Kdog1998 »»
13 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

69 by MasterTasuke »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.