Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2019 9:43 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's been so long since I've seen Fruits Basket but this gave me a very familiar feeling again. Welcome back Tohru :3

I think her new VA can work for her character. In the meantime, we got to see a little bit of her past. The show retains its lighthearted humor as I remember from the franchise. Yuki's club of fangirls are also here already in the first episode lol

Nice to see some important characters like Yuuki and Kyo showing up too. Great start, can't wait to see more.
Stark700Apr 5, 2019 11:00 AM
Apr 5, 2019 9:51 AM

Nov 2007
I think the new version is good so far. I think the new casts did a good job at voicing the characters and there's no feeling of weirdness, but I think I like Sawashiro mother's voice the most!

ED is nice.

Eh~?! It seems like there's new manga in BD & DVD. Edit: 6 volumes total for first season.

Edit 2:
tsubasaloverApr 19, 2019 9:53 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 5, 2019 10:26 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Pretty much a perfect adaptation of the first chapter and the first couple of pages from the second chapter of the manga. New VA's are pretty on-point. I definitely prefer Yuki's new voice over the old one.

The early parts of Furuba is easily the weakest, but so far, it's pretty fun. Tohru's basically a hobo of a shoujo protagonist, lol. But at least now she has a place to stay. But then we get to see that the Soma family is a bunch of animals, which will get clarified in the next episode.

Production values are quite good, though there's some iffy CG effects used, particularly that horrid smoke effect at the end of the episode.

ED is really good. And the visuals were nice too.

Overall, pretty excited for this adaptation. Assuming that this season will be 26 episodes, this season may adapt somewhere around 8-11 volumes, depending on whether they skip some chapters or not.
Apr 5, 2019 10:28 AM

Mar 2018
First time watcher and it is pretty good. Even if it reeks on old anime humor, it is really charming. Also Tohru is already a contender of best girl of the season.
Apr 5, 2019 10:31 AM

Apr 2016
Pretty standard shoujo first episode, i like it so far .. its all new and shiny lol, it is as weird as i thought it would be.

Oh and ...
Apr 5, 2019 10:31 AM

Dec 2017
ah, even though it looks so polished and new, it still feels kinda old, but not in a bad sense. i'm getting almost some kind of nostalgia vibe from it, even though never read the source material before

looks like a really heartwarming title. the comedy is nice and the drama isn't force tear jerking. looking forward to see what it has to offer

also, to any manga readers. did this episode have any changes?
Apr 5, 2019 10:33 AM

Nov 2016
The beginning kinda gave me Key vibes and immediately pulled me in.

I like what I saw, clean visuals, pleasig soundtrack and Tohru is such an adorable airhead xD

The comedy and drama elements are also right up my alley. Very charming overall. Good start for sure, it already showed so much promise.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 5, 2019 10:35 AM

May 2015
Never seen the original but this was nice! I hope its as good or even better than the original just so I don't feel like I should have watched that version instead. If I had no idea this was a remake though, I'd definitely think it was a promising start. ED was really nice too.

♡ artist
サコ
Apr 5, 2019 10:44 AM

Dec 2017
FMmatron said:

lol, ikr? especially the scene with these girls. with them sliding in the shot and exchanging lines. vn material right here

Apr 5, 2019 10:49 AM

May 2010
Love it so far! I didn't see any drastic changes that made me think "Oh no! :(" so thats a good start! Can't wait to see more Kyo! < 3 333
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Apr 5, 2019 10:51 AM

Mar 2017
Holy shit this is cute as a first time watcher i hope to enjoy this show
Apr 5, 2019 10:53 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I saw the first series ages ago (must be 10 years at least) and didn't think too much of it to be honest. Too much shoujo fare. This is feeling better somehow, at least at this very early stage.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 5, 2019 10:54 AM

Sep 2013
I loved this! It definitely took me back to when I first got into anime and watching Fruits Basket for the first time!

It's certainly a pretty show, although I don't particularly like the smoke effects seen towards the end of the episode. It seemed very out of place.

I'm so glad this show got another adaptation and I can't wait to sit down and watch it every week. :3
Apr 5, 2019 10:55 AM

Dec 2013
Oh boy, it was better than I expected!
Tohru is so cute.
Apr 5, 2019 11:02 AM

Aug 2018
Awesome! Can't wait to see more! Assuming that this is a first season, I think this will be done in cours!
Apr 5, 2019 11:02 AM

Feb 2018
Pretty interesting episode, the visuals were great. And tohru is sooo cute

I certainly didn't expect them to be animals
Apr 5, 2019 11:04 AM

Aug 2013
This was a great start.
Tohru was having a hard time living on her own.

Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Apr 5, 2019 11:06 AM

Aug 2017
I watched the start without reading the synopsis.

So, the Souma clan are a bunch of animals. I'm not used to this type of comedy (at least in the first episode)...but Kyo and Tooru gave me a good impression.

Good episode! Can't wait for the next.
NurguburuApr 5, 2019 10:23 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 5, 2019 11:06 AM

Feb 2011
That was great. I am getting Kamisama Kiss vibes and I love it.
Apr 5, 2019 11:08 AM

Nov 2016
uninstallthegame said:
FMmatron said:

lol, ikr? especially the scene with these girls. with them sliding in the shot and exchanging lines. vn material right here

It's also something about the soundtrack, I think they've captured the 2000's drama feeling really well.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 5, 2019 11:20 AM

Apr 2011
Absolutely perfect. I adore the manga and I never thought I'd have the chance to watch a good adaptation of it, I feel blessed.

Also, I'm very happy to see this best boy again. 💜

Apr 5, 2019 11:23 AM
Sep 2018
idk what to say about this anime but its SHOUJO AF. Kinda got baited with the one punch man special and ended up here watching this old anime getting anime remastered which is very intresting by synopsis.

ill give this anime the three-episode treatment

el psy congroo

またね
Apr 5, 2019 11:25 AM

Nov 2018
THIS WAS GREAT!! Fruits Basket is such a huge part of my childhood so I felt so happy to see it a new form like this, oh the nostalgia.

It was overall a huge improvement from the original pilot in my opinion, the character designs are infinitely better - the animal forms look adorable and Tohru doesn't look disturbing, the animation is really pretty and smooth and I love some added dialogue and monologue.

The only gripe I could possibly have is that it didn't have the cheesy, cartoony exaggerated humor I really liked, prime example is the introduction of the Yuki fanclub. In the original, I remember something along the lines of their bodies twisted to form the letters, clearly a lot more exaggerated and I liked that more, BUT the slapstick was funny enough.

I think the tone and atmosphere I really loved about the series was handled and recreated really well too. I'm so excited by the fact that the entire manga will be adapted and I'll get to experience it weekly from episode 1.

By the "first season" title, I assume this will be a one or two cour season and the next few seasons to adapt the entire manga will be released with a gap?

Dec 2015
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! IT'S HERE IT'S HERE!!!!!!!!

Ahem. Okay, now that I've gotten the prerequisite screaming out of the way, let's discuss the episode!

I first encountered Fruits Basket when I was 6 or 7. My local convenience store carried the manga (no, I do not live in Japan), and the cover looked cute and I was intrigued. I convinced my dad to get me the first volume, and I fell in love. The rest, as they say, is history.

So it's with a very happy heart that I can announce that this first episode is a very faithful adaptation of the manga thus far, which gives me great hope for the upcoming episodes. You can bet I was screaming internally whenever I saw all the stuff the first anime left out, and all dem symbolisms. I can't wait till we delve into them.

That part where Tohru was talking about how she didn't greet her mother before she left and died almost made me cry. (Fruits Basket always makes me cry...) Tohru definitely blames herself for not doing so; I get this feeling that she felt as if it was her fault that her mother died. If she had greeted her mother, her mother wouldn't have died, and because of that she's determined to live out the dream her mother never got to have. (I should note that this is my own personal interpretation and not from the manga.)

Animation: I thought it was pretty good, I liked the smoke when they transformed. There were some in-between scenes that had somewhat iffy animation, but they weren't very important so it was still fine. I particularly liked that part where Yuki called on his rat friends to dig out Tohru's things, that was done really well and exactly as I had imagined.

Voice acting: I'm in the minority in which I actually prefer this reboot one over the original. Iwami does a great job as Tohru (though her voice gives me, of all people, Wakamiya Eve vibes lol), Nakamura was great as Shigure as usual, Yuuma fit Kyo so well, and Zakki. Zakki. I don't watch anything for him in particular, but I notice I have a tendency to like his character best in the cast (eg Licht, Senpai...), and I'm already really loving his portrayal for Yuuki which is annoying because he isn't my best boy. If anyone can make me a bigger fan of Yuuki, he can.

Music: The OST was really nice and appropriate. I liked the vibes the ED gave too. That said, I don't think anything can surpass Okazaki's work for the original series. I do miss her music and I think this would have been really perfect with her music, but things can't be helped (Takaya-sensei aside, Okazaki's passed away for more than a decade).

I know this is a really long post already but I'll like to continue talking about the ED! I really like it so far, and it basically showcases the characters we'll be seeing for this season 1 grr where's my best girl at. And the references! It's not spoilery, but great Easter eggs for the source readers. I love how they're all asleep (well, Yuuki woke up, but that aside) and Tohru's the only one; it's as if she's guarding them while they're asleep. Very sweet. Also Kyo's sleeping in such a cat manner, how appropriate and made me laugh when I saw it.

I'm so psyched for the next episode already! Also can't wait to hear and see the OP. Till next week! (By the way, I really love Furuba, feel free to slide into my DM if you want someone to chat/yell about Furuba!)

P.S. Can I officially dub this series as Feelruba yet

Oh my god. Must. Have.

(Oh yeah... Gotta remember to change my avatars to rep best boy and girl...)

Jul 2017
Haven't seen the original anime nor read the manga but do know majority of the story (and spoilers) thanks to my friend. Don't really have time to read the manga yet but maybe one day.

Loving the 1st episode! The beginning gives me Key vibes too! Tohru has always been such a sweet girl and the story regarding her mother gives me the feels...

Nakamura's voice as Shigure is just, awesome! I've heard a lot of his deadpan snarker characters so him being some sort of a comic-relief character is a nice change. Shimazaki's Yuki deserves praises too and I'm loving his character! Not enough Kyo though, and I need more of him (and Yuma's voice)!

(I will also be hearing the dub as well since I've heard clips of it and it sounds pretty good)

Did I mention that the ED is really beautiful? Can't wait to hear the OP!

I need the next episode already!
Mikura39Apr 5, 2019 11:31 AM

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Apr 5, 2019 11:37 AM

Mar 2016
I really wonder if they're gonna rush through content for the first couple of episodes like FMA:B did.

And I really am at odds as to whether that'd be a good decision or not.
Apr 5, 2019 11:48 AM

Sep 2011
I saw the original forever ago and recall enjoying it, but I seriously remember nothing about it but bits and pieces and who was the winning boy of the anime, but that series was anime only in its final run and this is the source material getting adapted so even thats up in the air.

Really love the atmosphere, soundtrack and visuals, tooru is also way cuter than i was expecting especially with her current design where she doesnt have freakishly huge eyes.

Ryuseishun said:
I really wonder if they're gonna rush through content for the first couple of episodes like FMA:B did.

Yeah i wonder what the plan is, I saw the twitter accounts associated with the series always referring to it as the first season so there maybe is a chance its gonna be multiple parts, but keep in mind a season sometimes can be referring to just the first cour of a 2 cour anime even if there is no break in between the halves so it really doesnt mean much. Theres from what I can tell alot of content to cover and that this first episode more or less ended at the same spot as the original anime did so it needs to either have alot more episodes or a faster pace, or maybe even both.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 5, 2019 11:52 AM

Feb 2011
This first episode was almost the same as the first episode of the 2001 version. I not really like that Yuki now is voiced by a male VA I prefer is old VA over his new one. The animation is pretty cute but simple. I still like the scene where Shigure laugh about Tooru living in a tent. It's just is a funny part I like in manga and 2001 version as well. I also like to see my first anime crush ever Kyo again! I totally love Kyo and Tooru together! The transform scene was priceless.
Overall I prefer the old animation style over the new one even tough the new animation is pretty cute! I also not really happy over all the VA's in this new version beside that I really like the new reboot version a lot!

Apr 5, 2019 12:06 PM

Apr 2010
Off-topic but i have to say that - Yuki was prettier in the older version :' )
Apr 5, 2019 12:14 PM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
I'm still in love and I'm absolutely digging the new style. I thought that it could take a while to get used to it, but it was basically love at first sight (again). Can't express how glad I am that Furuba is getting a new adaption that follows the manga. Although I enjoyed the old anime, I never liked it as much as the original content.

I have high hopes for this, I hope it won't disappoint and that it'll get enough episodes to make a proper adaption.

(PS: Uo-chan still best girl)

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
Apr 5, 2019 12:21 PM

Jun 2009
Ryuseishun said:

Literally nothing about this first episode suggests that anything is being rushed.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 5, 2019 12:28 PM
Mar 2015
They put in a lot of things like her mother's death and the hat that were not revealed until later in the manga
Apr 5, 2019 12:33 PM

Oct 2017
I never saw the original series and I admit that... this is what I need right now, it's perfect! I have a lot of fun watching first episode :)
The Young Noble of the Field is currently watching - Diamond no Ace: Act II
Misugi-kun is also reading - Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Apr 5, 2019 12:38 PM

Jun 2016
It was a pretty decent first episode! So happy to see all the characters again,,, now i have to wait another week to see more of my son kyo :')
The only negative thing to me is that i prefered the old character designs, but the sceneries are totally gorgeous in this version so i dont mind it too much.
Apr 5, 2019 12:39 PM
Sep 2008
That episode made me travel to the past, the feeling of nostalgia was really strong. I've fallen in love (again by the way) for Tooru, she is such an amazing character, soo kind and willpowered. Waiting already for the next episode!
Nov 2013
I haven’t posted in the forums in a long time, but I had to after this.

Fruits Basket was the first anime I ever finished, and the first anime to inspire me to read manga. The first episode was absolutely beautiful. The visuals, the music (the ED is SO GOOD. “Everybody changes”...), the voice acting... everything was spot on!

I love the new atmosphere. It’s much more melancholic and calm than the comedic original adaption. Reminds me of Natsume Yuujinchou.

We are in for a ride. I can’t wait to see this completed, shoujo fans needed this 💛

Mar 2017
OMFG that was so amazing! It's the same but shinier and Yuki doesn't sound like a little girl!
(^_^)
Apr 5, 2019 12:46 PM
Jul 2018
First time watcher. I heard a lot about Fruits Basket and the remake gave me a reason to watch it, so here I am.

This is looking pretty good so far! I'm loving the characters and the plot is quite interesting. The ending is really nice too.

Can't wait for the next episode.
Apr 5, 2019 12:50 PM

Oct 2010
seems like livechart.me was correct. Official twitter is labeling this as "Fruits Basket 1st Season" so this will probably be 12-13 episodes and then the rest of the story (which the interviews confirmerd WILL be covered) will be in further seasons.... Though that will be a lot of seasons if they're all single-cour. This should take 60-100 episodes depending on pacing.
Apr 5, 2019 12:51 PM

Jan 2017
I´m really really happy here to see the series again. As one who saw the 2001 version and read the manga, I perceive that the first chapters of manga seems to me better adapted in the 2001 version than in this one (I don´t know, seems to me a bit puzzling and unreal the reactions of the characters). Well, I think that the the ones who don´t watched the 2001 version will really love this one. I liked, but I´ll love the novel part.
p.s.1 - they put a black hair in Motoko???????
p.s.2 - I watched the ending thinking: "they will show the characters that didn´t appear in the first version in this ending! they will!!"
Apr 5, 2019 12:53 PM

Jan 2016
MY GOD

The art, the OST, the VAs are absolutely fantastic!

I'm a but worried for the pacing in the future but this was perfect! With nostalgi glasses, this might just turn out to be better than the original Anime

This one feels a lot more like the Manga did
Apr 5, 2019 1:00 PM

Jan 2018
First-time watcher, loving it so far and I'll probably watch the original after this sometime after this finishes

Really liking it
Apr 5, 2019 1:00 PM

Feb 2017
I went into the into this completely blind and I really liked it. It looks really nice and story seems interesting and characters likable.
Apr 5, 2019 1:12 PM

Aug 2018
This is my first time watching Fruits Basket and I am pleasantly surprised. I like the visuals, the music and the characters are enjoyable. I thought this was a normal shoujo but it looks interesting.
Apr 5, 2019 1:12 PM

Oct 2010
betoharu said:

p.s.1 - they put a black hair in Motoko???????
"

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-03-29/fruits-basket-creator-comments-on-character-hair-color-change/.145187

They CORRECTED her hair color, according to the mangaka
Apr 5, 2019 1:14 PM
Dec 2017
I'm completely new to Fruits Basket, but so far it seems decent. There are a lot of tropes such as dead mother, pretty guy etc. At least Tohru isn't your typical overly shy and timid shoujo main character. I like the anime so far, hopefully they won't rush the adaptation and there will be enough episodes to cover the entire manga. Oh, and the great Funimation dub is the cherry on top.
Apr 5, 2019 1:17 PM

Jan 2008
Not sure if just the nostalgia but this was very enjoyable. While I do like the improved character design and quality visuals, I think what I enjoy most so far is the OST.

The ED subtitles say "Fruits Basket 1st Season". I'm hoping this means multiple cours.

Bonus points for Sawashiro Miyuki voicing Honda's mother.
PaulApr 5, 2019 1:23 PM
Apr 5, 2019 1:26 PM
Jul 2018
Hello nostalgia... This is looking good. I bet it's going to be a good adaptation. Tohru is still so motivating!
Apr 5, 2019 1:48 PM

Dec 2011
It's been like 13 years ago that i have watch this anime and damn Tohru living in a tent by herself make me tear up,
So far so good and i can't wait for the next episode.
Apr 5, 2019 1:49 PM
Sep 2018
Swagernator said:
Pretty standard shoujo first episode, i like it so far .. its all new and shiny lol, it is as weird as i thought it would be.

Oh and ...

Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

117 by ashura_chan »»
Apr 9, 3:59 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2019

217 by bruh98hy89 »»
Mar 29, 8:39 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2019

231 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 17, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2019

123 by Jordanrane02 »»
Mar 16, 9:48 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2019

191 by Nova22 »»
Mar 9, 5:58 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.