Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 31, 2019 12:51 PM
Aug 2017
I got the first four volumes of the manga for my birthday last year and COMPLETELY fell in love with it, so I was SUPER stoked to hear that an anime was going to come out soon afterwards. I dragged my brother into watching the first episode and then reading the manga with me, and we went through the show together. We're both kind of.... iffy on it, I guess? XD The show's not exactly baaaaad, there was stuff that I liked about it, but there was also a lot that we had issues with (those weird perspective shots, terrible pacing (in our opinion anyway), a few lost details/added plot points that got us a little bit mad, etc.). So my question is, are we only mad because we read the manga first? Or is the show actually that iffy? :P Summonings to both people who read the manga and people who only watched the anime. What do you guys think?
Apr 1, 2019 4:28 AM

Aug 2016
To me the anime is inferior to the manga for most episodes, aside for the first one and the last two, where the most emotional scenes are. Of course, having removed all the internal monologues makes the "making the plan" episodes a lot less exciting. The Gracefield arc works better in the manga by the way it's structured, but I still think they did a fine job at adapting the anime with only 12 episodes. Still, the anime has a lot of great things, like the soundtrack, the voices and the direction in some episodes. The manga version of this arc remains overall superior but the anime does have its moments, if I didn't read the manga first I would probably have fallen in love with it.
Apr 1, 2019 7:36 AM

Jun 2009
I'm not a manga reader, and I really don't understand all the hate and bad ratings some users give this anime. Yes, the 11 year Olds are abit too smart, and yes, they defied gravity by running up walls. But for the rest of the show it was really well done in my opinion.

The tension, facial expressions, soundtrack, the despair these kids must have felt when they learned the truth. It all was amazing to see. I looked forward to seeing the next episode, and it's been a long time ago that I've been hyped about a 2nd season for any anime.

I think this anime was great, and I can't understand how anyone who has seen 100+ anime, could give this show less than 7/10. I gave it a 9/10.

Apr 1, 2019 9:18 AM

Feb 2018
When you get your hopes up and get too excited for something it normally doesn't meet your expectations and i think that's why we're not 100% pleased with the anime.
The anime did a pretty good job in many ways and am really glad but personally, I'll always like the manga more.
Apr 1, 2019 9:22 AM

May 2010
pineappledango said:
I got the first four volumes of the manga for my birthday last year and COMPLETELY fell in love with it, so I was SUPER stoked to hear that an anime was going to come out soon afterwards. I dragged my brother into watching the first episode and then reading the manga with me, and we went through the show together. We're both kind of.... iffy on it, I guess? XD The show's not exactly baaaaad, there was stuff that I liked about it, but there was also a lot that we had issues with (those weird perspective shots, terrible pacing (in our opinion anyway), a few lost details/added plot points that got us a little bit mad, etc.). So my question is, are we only mad because we read the manga first? Or is the show actually that iffy? :P Summonings to both people who read the manga and people who only watched the anime. What do you guys think?

If you can't appreciate neverland, maybe its time for a new hobby.

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Apr 1, 2019 11:43 AM

Sep 2014
Completely disagree the anime is so much better than the manga.
Apr 1, 2019 11:56 AM

Oct 2018
That is what happen when you read the manga first. First Impression what matter
Apr 1, 2019 2:04 PM
Aug 2017
Hmmm yeah, I think you guys are right. A lot of the goodness in the show comes from having no idea what happens next or what the plot twists are. Watching the anime after reading the manga is like seeing a horror movie for a second time - you know where all the jump scares are so it's not as scary anymore. :P But it's still a good show! Soundtrack and visuals and stuff~
Apr 1, 2019 2:38 PM

Jun 2016
Hrybami said:
Completely disagree the anime is so much better than the manga.

Amazing April fools joke.
Apr 1, 2019 4:54 PM

Apr 2013
The manga is slightly better than the anime imo. Tension in some scenes in anime were not as impact as in the manga, probably because transition from scene to scene is a bit too smooth in the anime
Apr 1, 2019 7:55 PM

Sep 2013
At least for me, reading a manga and then watching the anime version after will affect my perception on the anime. It removes the shock factor which is a point that the anime focuses a lot on, and having the events of the anime spoiled obviously affects that.
Apr 1, 2019 8:13 PM

May 2016
The anime is doo doo. People are not being hard on it enough.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Apr 1, 2019 8:39 PM

Apr 2017
I thought the manga was superior in every way. The fact that the anime tried to change its style of narrative into more of a horror show might've worked for only a couple of the episodes, particularly the first episode, but it also removed the inner monologue too. That change really pissed me off because a show that utilizes horror elements in place of what is supposed to be a psychological thriller is not a good exchange, and this is what lead to it being so damn boring. It even removed much of the tension that was omnipresent in the manga and it is because of that change that characters such Isabella were far less compelling and creepy than how she really was. We didn't even get to hear about what the children really thought of her.
Only in death are we all equal.
Apr 1, 2019 10:36 PM

Dec 2017
Despite the critiques, this anime still gets 8.71 average score. I think that's already great in itself.
I just realized that all of my favorite characters, beside being stunningly beautiful, also happen to be exceptionally skilled murder machines. \('-')/

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 1, 2019 11:19 PM
Dec 2018
Anime only and Ya idk why but i really enjoyed the first 2 episodes but not really sure why it kinda lost interest for me i almost drop it
Apr 2, 2019 12:35 AM
Jan 2019
pineappledango said:
yes you are right im having the same thoughts as you there is always lack of tension in anime adaptation and they always speak out loud like dumb kids which makes me mad and those edgy horror cliche random shots adds cherry on the cake the only one defending this anime are people who haven't read the manga but acting like they know everything
Apr 2, 2019 2:06 AM

Dec 2017
I caught up to the manga before completing the anime, and I'll be completely honest, I really didn't notice any major differences. Maybe I'm just not that into the series as others, but I found the anime to be just as enjoyable. What I really liked and appreciated about the anime was how much more meaningful the music made some of the scenes. In particular, Isabella's lullaby and Leslie's guitar song were much better done in the anime because, well, you could actually hear them.

So to sum it all up, I honestly got the same experience from both. Whether anime or manga, I greatly enjoy the series, regardless of how the story is told.
Apr 2, 2019 6:47 AM

Oct 2017
Started watching the anime and thought it was interesting but nothing outstanding. Then, I read the first volume of the manga and it was awesome.
Apr 2, 2019 8:29 AM
Oct 2018
I read manga and enjoyed the anime but honestly manga is better studio removed a lot of scenes and talks. in the anime characters wasn't so smart like manga
But actually the last 2 ep was incredible
Deserve 8 or 9/10
Apr 2, 2019 9:33 AM

Jun 2016
Honestly it was a pretty solid 8+ / 10 the entire time, last episode made it to 10/10. Never really a fan of chars dying, etc but also not a fan of bs god characters and the final episode just made the anime all that much better. How many anime have you seen adapt a solid story within a 1 cour season without bs cliff hangers or go read the manga fuck you's? Art and animation were consistent, ost's adds tremendously to the anime without being distracting despite feeling as loud as most climax battle bgm. Theme's are well depicted with the colors of the house and farm which change from bright and vibrant greens to emotional warm reds and oranges to dark gray and suspenseful.

Names are actually memorable, extra's that don't make the cast are consistent without new faces popping up, story stays suspenseful right until the end.

tl;dr - neverland is fucking great
Apr 2, 2019 9:52 AM

Oct 2015
I haven't finished watching the show yet but I felt like it lacked its own identity in my opinion.
Apr 3, 2019 9:50 AM

Mar 2015
The manga is better in general but all these posts that constantly bitch about it are completely useless and stale.
The anime is good.
Apr 3, 2019 11:05 AM

Mar 2019
I found the anime pretty good. However, I haven't read the manga (planning to do so after season 2). The first few episodes were especially great.

My anime review website: https://www.takanodan.net
Sep 6, 2019 4:51 AM
May 2013
Marco_a_Phoenix said:
I thought the manga was superior in every way. The fact that the anime tried to change its style of narrative into more of a horror show might've worked for only a couple of the episodes, particularly the first episode, but it also removed the inner monologue too. That change really pissed me off because a show that utilizes horror elements in place of what is supposed to be a psychological thriller is not a good exchange, and this is what lead to it being so damn boring. It even removed much of the tension that was omnipresent in the manga and it is because of that change that characters such Isabella were far less compelling and creepy than how she really was. We didn't even get to hear about what the children really thought of her.

I agree with this. I was disappointed.
Sep 19, 2019 1:05 AM

May 2016
I haven't read the manga and I quite enjoyed the anime, it wasn't bad, but there's just something wrong with the pace and I'm not even sure how to explain it. Like, the first couple of episodes were an introduction so I endured it, but I was genuinely bored from ep. 4-8. And then all of a sudden the show literally ran through the action so fast I felt like I was watching some kind of a recap. Is it the same in the manga or did they just mess up the adaptation?
Oct 5, 2019 5:44 AM

Aug 2019
I've read the manga up to ep 130 and I didn't spot any substantial drop in quality. Yeah, manga is probably more complete and better but they did a good job with anime nonetheless.

This is still probably the best show of 2019 so far, at least on my chart.
Oct 6, 2019 4:53 PM
Oct 2019
For me, its a masterpiece. I watched it in winter, read the manga, and watched it again few days ago. It has perfact story and the drama is amazing and it surprises you every episode
Oct 12, 2019 3:19 AM
Nov 2016
The first 2 episodes and last 2 episodes are really good in the anime, the rest are between "so-so" , "passable" and "semi-good. The anime started to drag after episode 3.

It's still a really good anime thanks to the last 2 episodes that gave the anime justice.

The weakest point in the anime was having sister Krone acting like a clown and screaming her plans in the house which EVERYBODY could hear (the real reason nobody hear her screaming is simply because of *plot armor*), she needed to act more cautious and be more "mysterious" like Isabella but nope, she was your usual clown in an anime that tried to be serious.
Oct 12, 2019 9:05 PM

Aug 2019
To be honest, constant inner dialogue only works in manga format, it rarely if at all works in anime format because of how annoying it usually is when you're watching something. I think that's why they cut the inner monologues.
Oct 15, 2019 2:07 AM

May 2016
To be honest, neither one of manga or anime is that great, it's just some rip-off from AOT.
Oct 21, 2019 5:06 AM
Jun 2014
I think the rating's quite high as it does a good job for its intended audience. I don't think I'm quite in that audience group, but I still enjoyed it for what it was, so I gave it a 7/10.

The reason it wasn't higher:
- Corny moments typical of shounen. Dramatic speeches, the moral of anime shoved down your throat. It wasn't something I wanted in a show that utilized really dark elements (death camps, espionage, high suspense). I get it, okay? teamwork = good.
- It tugged at my suspension of disbelief until its poor sickly legs gave out and collapsed. This story mainly centers around espionage and operating secretively, yet their voices would be at maximum volume during a lot of moments where it would be inappropriate, usually in the dead of night. I'll acknowledge the plot holes but most of them didn't bother me.
- Visuals were iffy sometimes. They were pure to the style of the manga, but some children have faces that just don't seem right even in the manga. The shots with the camera following the characters through the house slowly to add suspense were ok, though not executed as good as I would've liked.
- A lot of main characters with bland personalities and development, acting just to push the plot along. Ray suffers from this the most, I feel. I like Emma sometimes but she's super preachy. Isabella ended up being my favorite character.

It would be unfair to call this anime bad or even average. Some moments that dragged on were like a 4 or 5/10 quality, yet other moments were an amazing 10/10. So I went with my gut and put it up a few notches further on the rating scale. 7 out of 10 it is.

More topics from this board

» I'm in a dilemma help ( 1 2 )

Saphhh - Mar 25

51 by EpicAlphaMale »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Best Season of Anime Ever?

bigeli2020 - Jul 18, 2022

47 by Zimmu »»
Mar 25, 12:35 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2019

567 by Sus_baby »»
Mar 25, 12:53 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2019

295 by Yanarsen »»
Mar 4, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2019

245 by WuzWutz »»
Feb 22, 7:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.