Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2019 10:05 AM

Jun 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Offff.. What a Fantastic backstory..

- We got to know how The Ilblu Village came into "existance"..

- We got more solid info on how The 3 sages (ex. Juroimoh) end up as Sages/Narehate..

- We know who Faputa is..

* Wazukyan & Belafu Stood out the most for me in Vueko's backstory.. specially Wazukyan.. As "the chosen one by god"..
he got his wish, saved some of his crew & lived thro..
he definitely a white whistle level..

** Also Wazukyan did nothing wrong.
Satou0KunMar 31, 2019 10:36 AM
Mar 31, 2019 12:20 PM

Feb 2017
Something that this chapter brought to this arc was a parallel to short philosophical fiction story from Ursula K Le Guin called "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas". It is pretty much a story about a utopian society where the price was keeping a suffering child in a dark room. This parallels what happens with Irumyuui and also Vueko to an extent. It made me appreciate this flashback and ultimately this entire arc more, seeing how much work Tsukishi really puts in here. We might have another volume after this before they are done in the 6th layer, but now I'm curious to see what Reg will do since his ex wants him to incinerate the place.
Mar 31, 2019 1:13 PM
Dec 2018
>Two lonely girls joined the squad of eccentric man, who promised them better future in the Abyss
>they become best friends and soulmates
>eccentric man turned one of them into immortal formless monster
>the remaining girl wants to commit suicide
>everyone is trying to figure out how they can free immortal formless monster from suffering

I don't know why, but what happened in this chapter reminds me of... something.
Apr 1, 2019 6:13 AM

Jan 2015
Damn...this was sad as fuck. Irumyuui deserves a better ending.
Now we know what “promise” were Reg and Faputa talking about. To destroy the whole village.
Vueko is such an outstanding character, she’s so pure.

It’s impressive how much thought and heart put the author in Made in Abyss.
Each arc is better than the previous one, amazing.
XenocrisiApr 1, 2019 6:19 AM
Apr 1, 2019 1:25 PM

Sep 2018
Xenocrisi said:

Agreed. The world building in this manga is so damn good. I only wish there was a more comprehensive map of the abyss.
Apr 1, 2019 8:03 PM

Jun 2011
DaiSuuKi said:
Xenocrisi said:

Agreed. The world building in this manga is so damn good. I only wish there was a more comprehensive map of the abyss.

We have one from the anime:
Apr 1, 2019 8:18 PM

Jun 2009
Out of the flashback and information with regards to Faputa, the village, Vueko's imprisonment, this arc is shaping up nicely.

Quite excited to see how Reg's decision will impact the next narrative.

Apr 2, 2019 11:52 AM

Sep 2018
@OnePieceQ8 Thanks!
Apr 2, 2019 10:24 PM

Jan 2011
My god, what an absolutely earth-shattering chapter. We now know the orgins of Faputa, why Veko was imprisoned, why the people of the town look the way they do, and what Faputa's goal is. All in one chapter. Amazing. Fucking orgasmic.
Apr 3, 2019 11:05 PM

Aug 2018
Faputa.. wow. What a heavy backstory. My heart is breaking.
Apr 4, 2019 1:16 PM

Sep 2017
Fantastic back story mini arc. It actually explained a huge amount of information. In typical made in abyss fashion it has a pretty twisted and kinda sad end. Wazukyan really isn't that bad of dude tho. Like many others he was obsessed with the abyss. Their conversation about longing and homesickness was really on point. At the end of the day he saved basically everyone in his crew from the mockwater and thought they would be ascended to a higher level by giving their bodies to Irumyuui (as did most everyone else on his team I'd bet).
Apr 5, 2019 3:32 PM

Feb 2018
Emotional, dark and beautiful at the same time, as always
Apr 12, 2019 4:35 AM

Nov 2016
One of the most impressive backstories ever. The amount of, creativity infos and detail put in there is insane. This is simply great storytelling.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 13, 2019 6:08 AM

Feb 2017
i love belafu's design so much. as a human and as a narehate.
May 5, 2019 1:51 PM

Oct 2015
A pretty impressive chapter with a well-thought backstory that sheds a light to a lot of questions. As dark and twisted as ever. A bit hard to follow at times but may just be my unaccustomedness with manga in general.
Jun 8, 2019 3:11 AM

Apr 2016
So that is where Faputa came from ... literally.
Jun 8, 2019 11:36 AM

Apr 2018
What a sad backstory. Irumyuui didn't deserved that. Surprisingly, Veko is still doing fine even with that backstory. I hope she joins Riko's journey
Jul 11, 2019 7:25 AM

Jul 2013
So, Faputa was indeed one of the children of Irumyuui, and she inherithed her mother's hate for the explorers for eating her siblings and turning her mother into that abomination. Irumyuui being the Narehate village was a theory that was popular when she appeared for the first time, but I can't believe the author actually made it true. Not complaining, of course, it is a good twist.

Also, gotta feel bad for those mobs Narehates. Belafu gets turned into a badass looking giant centipede creature (either because he offered all his organs or because he was an important person inside the group), then you have peeps who turned into a chibi cyclops or abstracts chibi things. it's not easy to be a mob character.

I'm happy Veko is going to join to the main characters (for now at least), I like her. This backstory chapters also had been very enjoyable, despite how disturbing they were. To think the author has managed to surpass the 5th Layer...
Jul 21, 2019 2:47 PM

Nov 2017
Illyricus said:
turning her mother into that abomination

whose fault is it exactly?
Stay gold!
魔法よ魔法よ生まれておいで!
Sasuga Kasuga! Osaka fan club on MAL. Join us if you like Osaka-san!
Jul 26, 2019 12:54 AM

Apr 2017
The turning of events in the story is too poignant and it makes me sad.
Aug 10, 2019 3:19 PM

Mar 2019
Belafu noooo, not one of my fave character designs/personality is good, too ;-;

"What would you do if some granny told you to stop adventuring?" This arc will be interesting to see animated and hopefully make sense for people. And it's Wazukyan's fault iirc that Irumyuui turned into an 'abomination.'
Jan 19, 2020 9:19 AM

Mar 2017
That was some heavy backstory.... let's just hope that Veko doesn't die...

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Mar 16, 2020 7:59 AM

Nov 2019
Volume 8 has become my favourite one. This backstory was very interesting, with the Narehate village, Veko and Faputa origins, and god I love Wazukyan design, both as a human and as a Narehate.
Jan 28, 2021 5:06 AM

Mar 2020
i thought Belafu would be the crazy one with no morals in the group but this mf Wazukyan really gives no fucks
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Jun 17, 2021 2:46 PM

Feb 2021
One of my favorite chapters off the manga. Ah yes that backstory was so good and touching, love every panel of this chapter. I love the worldbuilding in this manga so much.
Aug 1, 2021 1:16 PM
Jul 2018
The worldbuilding of this manga has always been its strongest point and this shows that. This village that was shrouded in mystery before has been completely explained in a few chapters. This flashback was also one of the most brutal parts of this manga. Irumyuui deserved better, wazukyan man, I know why you did it but still.
Feb 19, 6:54 AM
Jul 2021
This manga is getting more and more scary but also sweeter. The drawings in this volume were very disturbing, but the more I read it, the more I wanted to read it, so this is my daughter who I think made this manga beautiful.

More topics from this board

» Best new gen series

XiongYifan - Feb 29

10 by Riot »»
Apr 18, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 67 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Feb 14

24 by Artromex »»
Apr 13, 3:58 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 40 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Jul 7, 2017

12 by owennordness41 »»
Feb 26, 5:02 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 66 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Jul 30, 2023

10 by WeLoveIs »»
Feb 21, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 61 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Oct 19, 2021

28 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Jan 31, 3:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.