Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Apr 1, 2019 2:08 AM
Apr 2019
2:43 of episode 24, quinella got her lost arm, lol. hhahaha xD during the fight scene with kirito...
Apr 1, 2019 5:58 AM

Apr 2017
Better than season 2 for sure. Some really interesting sci-fi talk in the middle of the season and a superb cliffhanger. Can't wait for the next season.
I don't typically read manga so if I get anything right please don't tell me.
Apr 1, 2019 6:07 AM
Jan 2018
People keep saying plotholes but yet don't bloody say what the plotholes are if you are gonna moan about them at least reveal what the "plotholes"are
Apr 1, 2019 7:58 AM
Apr 2015
Probably the better of the seasons so far. Hated the beginning (too slow). The sword academy episodes were probably the strongest and should have been expanded on. Ending was rushed (the climb of all those floors should have been a tough hard slog but it was rushed) and the ending is just a cliffhanger well what a waste of 24 episodes 2.5/10 at a generous push
Apr 1, 2019 9:09 AM

Oct 2011
In spite of skipping many scenes (I especially didn't like that they skipped Administrator's backstory) and the lackluster drawings of some of the time, it's nice to seee the novel animated with reasonably decent quality.

Apr 1, 2019 9:24 AM

Oct 2011
This season was super good. Way better then Gun Gale Online.
The Eugeo death scene was heart wrenching. D:
Apr 1, 2019 12:20 PM

Aug 2013
For some reason I felt nothing after Eugeo death.
But man, ending was really promising. Can't wait for continuation. Especially that Asunsa seems to be back.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 1, 2019 12:39 PM

Jul 2016
Man, how could they do Eugeo like that.
I was like SAO just can't kill off one of the best written characters in the series just like that but they did ;_; i was waiting there for someone to patch him up somehow even tho he was literally cut in half but damn rip.

all that aside, i enjoyed Quinella as an antagonist and i kinda wished she was able to show more of her op-ness in the fight but eh. was good enough. felt they easily could've split this whole thing up into another ep or so cuz that fight was kinda underwhelming for the big bad of this first part but i guess i'm satisfied enough with what happened over this first part of the show (tho they shouldn't have done my boy Eugeo wrong like that)

this was def one of the better seasons and i look forward to when it comes back up again \o/
Apr 1, 2019 12:43 PM

Jan 2013
i'm upset. hope purple haired girl survived in the last minute lol. fatball annojing moron till the bitter end. cliffhanger pulling a full matrix on us.
Apr 1, 2019 2:27 PM

Jun 2014
my boy Eugeo :(

cant wait for the next 24 eps, felt like this was the best season so far tbh
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2019 3:35 PM
Jun 2014
Man this was a serious shitshow all around. Was Kirito always this pathetic? I seem to remember him being badass and doing what he could to stand strong and win. What about this season? He became outmatched by some kid who'd been training for 2 years, and was all around the worst fighter in regular fiights when he didn't asspull special moves he didn't seem to have the fight before... Not to mention that for most of this season Eugeo was more or less the protagonist and Kirito just the capable sidekick. This season was Eugo's. In the first season Kirito got all the girls, and now none of them showed any romantic feelings towards anyone but Eugeo. Truly a shitshow. Where was Asuna? Kirito seemed to completely forget her as the season progressed.
Apr 1, 2019 4:27 PM
Dec 2008
Xerain said:
stealthninjax2 said:
I wonder what happens next, too lazy to read light novel, anyone want to tell me or tell me where I can find summaries?

thanks for telling me! saved me lots of time.
Apr 2, 2019 5:40 AM

Feb 2018
I didn't expect Quinella, who was about to escape, was blocked by the Prime Minister.
Apr 2, 2019 10:42 AM
Sep 2013
Hopefully that wasn't the end of Quinella, because that'd be an unworthy end to a pretty good villain.
Apr 2, 2019 10:57 AM

Mar 2013
So finally Eugeo is happy to die with the memory of young Alice and Kirito can probably add an Alice knight in his harem ...
That's what I suppose and I find it sad :'(
Apr 2, 2019 9:29 PM

Nov 2014
24 episodes and not much is actually revealed. We've seemed to unravel the mystery of the entire virtual world, and it has ended on a pretty unsatisfactory note (at least for now). As for what's going on outside, who knows?

Of all the characters, I think Alice was pretty well done. Having that portion of time where she just chilled with Kirito on the ledge led to quite a lot of character development, especially her conflict of essentially "stealing" the body of the young girl that was Alice. Other than that, Cardinal, Administrator and Eugeo didn't grow on me the same way Alice did. If I were to guess, the anime probably left out details from the light novel. Either ways, I felt like the last episode went way too quickly and both Eugeo and Cardinal died yet I didn't feel sad at all.

I'd say worse than the 2nd season (more specifically Mother's Rosario) but better than the 1st. 5/10, pretty forgettable.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Apr 3, 2019 12:19 AM

Aug 2017
Cliffhanger ending huh. Most important question is, when are Alice and Admin joining the harem? Kill off the clown and Eugebro already.

Best arc here was climbing the tower with Alice. After that the harem trap was set.
Apr 3, 2019 6:59 AM

Jun 2012
Damn Eugeo and Kirito scene really sad
Apr 3, 2019 9:46 AM
Mar 2017
well it's getting interested but it's time for another waiting game.

9/10
Apr 3, 2019 2:58 PM

Apr 2014
What a ridiculous and unsatisfying mess of an end that was... I'm really pissed about how Quinella's death was the most random asspull I've seen in a long time. Getting killed by an almost-dead burning clown fondling your chest, you must be kidding me.
Apr 3, 2019 10:38 PM

Oct 2008
I hate to say this but i was a bit pissed of cuz of the cliffhanger!
lolz Kirito does not have any idea what's going on the other side.
And looks like the other side is in havoc chaos!
first part was MEH EMO good thing it ended.
okay sequel would be on Oct 2019...
4/5.
7/10.

Apr 4, 2019 1:55 PM

Nov 2012
WHAAAT?????? WAIT...... WHAAAATTT?????
Apr 4, 2019 2:27 PM

Feb 2013
That was good, excited for more.
Apr 5, 2019 7:42 AM

Nov 2014
Mattinator95 said:
A-1 really needs this 6 month break the animation has been horrible in most parts

yahh that's right -_- I miss how they do the sao animations

Apr 5, 2019 9:15 AM
Apr 5, 2019 9:28 AM

Jan 2012
I really tried to like it, but as a sequel to the other SAO arcs, this was just a huge disappointment. I couldn't care less about any of the characters introduced in this season (who I won't have a hard time forgetting), and it either felt like everything was being forced down my throat at once or nothing was happening at all.

When characters started talking about the lore of (whatever the new virtual world was called, can't even remember) it felt like it was being read to me from the sword art wiki page. The formula for the later episodes was almost exactly as follower: info dump, fight, info dump, plot twist that was predicted ten episodes ago, rinse and repeat.

I'm not saying it was all bad. The first few episodes set everything up pretty nicely, even if it was all downhill from there. The animation was pretty good and the score was even more so (I've ended up using a lot of it for my D&D games).

I doubt I'll watch the next part of this arc, with the cliffhanger they left us it looks to me like things are going to get worse before they get better.

4/10
Apr 5, 2019 9:29 AM
Aug 2018
SAO ALICIZATION IS JUST MASTERPIECE

Stay cool .. Kirito ..

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH I NEVER CRIED THAT MUCH
Apr 6, 2019 2:13 AM

May 2010
Sucks for Eugeo, sure, but for me he's nothing more than a cardboard recoloring of Kirito, with slightly more timid personality. That's not enough to make me care for a character :x

The most intriguing scene from this ep was the one from the real world. And will Quinella blend with that sick jester lol? That could be hilarious.

What can I say, I expected more from this arc, especially after all the praise it always got... for me it doesn't stand out much so far. I know it's way longer, but this season on its own wasn't particularly interesting. Pleasant way of passing time at best, had some good laughs when something utterly stupid happened, other than that - meeeeeh.

Had some good songs tho! 6.5/10
Apr 6, 2019 4:49 PM

Jul 2009
Great battle! Eugeo finally is with the Alice he loved! Gonna miss him...
Now, I wonder if Asuna will enter in the game...have to wait 6 months.
Apr 6, 2019 5:18 PM

Mar 2012
I enjoyed the season overall...it managed to keep me interested every time, but the last few eps were a bit mediocre to me... definitely interested in what's next thanks to that closing scene though

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Apr 6, 2019 9:16 PM

Dec 2015
SAO entering a war arc? Now I know Fairy Tail's Alvarez Arc, A.K.A. the worst war arc ever, will lose its spot as most horrible shit ever brought to animation.
Apr 7, 2019 7:54 AM

Oct 2013
Not bad for the first season of Alicization, bitterweet ending in the end, the bromance and brofeels are so strong with this one. I feel touched by their bond.

So i'm assuming that Alice will never retrieve her old memories back since the crystal thing which her memories are restored has been destroyed along with Eugeo, the scene where young Alice and Eugeo walked together leaving Kirito behind is the proof i guess.

The cliffhanger ending leaving me with bitter taste in my mouth, so many things going on in this finale. Im guessing the armed intruders that infiltrate the Rath facility are the same people from the very first couple episodes, remember when Sinon got chased by a bunch of player killers in GGO, question is who are they ? what do they want ?

OMG i cannot wait for the next season, i'm going crazy pls send help ! also i need more Asuna screen times

Overall score 9/10
Apr 7, 2019 11:40 AM

Jan 2015
Oh my god the scenes with Eugeo were so cringey I had to skip them I’m sorry. How can him be still alive after being cut in two lmfao, that bothered me A LOT

That cliffhanger

Alicization is truly a great arc, it gave me the vibes of the old Sword Art Online I loved so much.
9/10
Apr 8, 2019 8:21 AM

Aug 2016
Like... damn... what a hellish end of season is that? Ok.. ok...

Stay cool, right?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2019 1:24 PM
Aug 2015
Not a bad season, although the writing in these last two or three episodes left a lot to be desired. I feel like the battles must have had had a much better flow in the LN since we didn't see three of the four character standing at the sidelines the entire time without doing anything while one of them battles. It really ended like it's mid season, which I know it technically is but still, waiting till Fall will be hard haha.
That aside, I wish we'd get to see more of the real world in the next court. I always prefered the real world in SAO and it came really short in this season so far. It just doesn't feel like a game at all anymore and that kinda bothers me.
Apr 8, 2019 3:10 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
I had forgotten how Quinnela was defeated, it surely made me grin seeing her getting done by the shitty pig clown (as she puts it).
Read this arc in 2015 so I m forgetting some parts, but the idea of Eugeo turning into a sword and doing it like that, felt kinda dumb when seeing it animated tbh.

Doesnt help that alot of times it seems like Quinella is waiting for them to finish talking and having dialogues between themselves, previous to attacking, that kinda breaks the immersion.

Also dialogue may not have been delivered with the best execution but still did its job.
I felt more for Eugeo in the LN, to the point it really got me in a depressive and melancholic mood for awhile after reading it, and since 2015 I havent gotten after vol14 (where this ends).

Second I dont believe that part with people invading the ship in the real world is from vol14, or that you see that thing happening to Kirito on that same volume...

Another complain, what was the point of Cardinal's sacrifice (dont recall it feeling this pointless in the LN), she literally did nothing by dying, she would have been way more usefull alive!

Complains aside, it was still a decent and effective adaptation, but not as emotional or brilliant as Mother's Rosario was.
RIP Eugeo, the best boy of the show.
Time to finally get off volume 14, after almost 4 years way, not that much hyped for the second half tbh, feel like it may become abit more generic and more of the same old SAO again, versus what these first 24 episodes were.

8.7/10 = 9
One of the better bromance pairs in all the mediums for sure, Kirito and Eugeo were and awesome duo..
Apr 9, 2019 4:42 AM

Aug 2016
Guess Eugeo student will never to marry him.
rsc-pl said:
For some reason I felt nothing after Eugeo death.
But man, ending was really promising. Can't wait for continuation. Especially that Asunsa seems to be back.

Try to watch episode 19 ending with that sweet music. That kinda hit my feels after episode 24. Guess redhead student never gonna marry Eugeo in the end.
Apr 10, 2019 6:31 AM
Feb 2016
Just finished all episodes and kinda enjoyable honestly. Not as bad as everyone told it to be. Cried a little when eugo died and that cliffhanger ending pisses me off like hell knowing we need to wait 6 months. Oh yeah, did Quinella really died? Her death not convincing tho.

8/10 for me. Enjoyed it with good ost ,op and ed. Gonna wait for next season but without Eugeo hope it doesn’t turns out boring...gonna stay cool for 6 months and absolutely can’t wait for Babylonia!!
Anguish_one7Apr 10, 2019 6:37 AM
Apr 11, 2019 7:33 AM

Jun 2012
Lots of typical SAO stuff that may not make sense though it looks cool, like the clown, villain that believe only in power/control, and can't count how many times I thought the characters died or were gone but turns out they just fainted.

Eugeo is an amazing character because unlike Kirito he isn't all-knowing and goes through real struggles, doubts, and mistakes.

Even if it's flawed/bland (unoriginal), from the very beginning 7 years ago I was and always will be a die-hard fan of this anime, it's characters (even the all-too-perfect one), and the animation and effects. It's one of the few series that a special place in my heart.

With that, I eagerly await October and hope this series never stops.

Apr 16, 2019 6:14 AM

Mar 2014
The only way I'm able to stay sane after a cliffhanger like that is because of wonderful people who have summarized the LNs for me. That sudden shift right after the fight ending on a cliffhanger like that is the entire reason I changed my score from a 10/10 to a 9/10 for this. I really feel bad for anime-onlys with that ending though.

I knew it was coming but it still hurt to see Eugeo finally pass. But at least he went out willingly, fulfilling the greater purpose of saving everyone in the Underworld with his final move.

That Red Rose Sword was fucking gorgeous, and it was so touching/fitting for Eugeo to christen Kirito's sword the "Night Sky Sword" in his dying breaths

Kirito dual-wielded for far less than I was hoping for, but at least it happened

I like that Eugeo knew he and Kirito would've fought over "which Alice" to save, the young one or the older one. It's definitely a conflict that would've come up and him passing on with "his" young Alice resolved that before it became an issue. Now Kirito's got the green light to add Alice to his harm /s Seriously though that's a weird way to resolve 2 guys as love interests for one girl: let Eugeo have the one from his memories and the "current" Alice becomes a member of the harem...
Apr 16, 2019 10:15 PM

Jun 2015
What cliffhanger, one of the best I've seen from an anime so far.

Apr 18, 2019 6:14 PM

Feb 2011
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Not an LN reader, but I could tell that cutting out some of Eugeo's backstory (I think that's what they cut out, not sure), affected some of the impact of his choices in the later parts. Since 6 novels were covered in this season, that leaves only 4 for next season, so the pacing should be better. One other issue with this season was that even though the animations were good, the fight choreography was pretty lacking, making some of the fights feel a bit shallow.

7/10
Yep, I totally agree with you, specially about the fight scenes.
Apr 18, 2019 10:08 PM

Feb 2013
Yasu-kun said:
Lots of typical SAO stuff that may not make sense though it looks cool, like the clown, villain that believe only in power/control, and can't count how many times I thought the characters died or were gone but turns out they just fainted.

Eugeo is an amazing character because unlike Kirito he isn't all-knowing and goes through real struggles, doubts, and mistakes.

Even if it's flawed/bland (unoriginal), from the very beginning 7 years ago I was and always will be a die-hard fan of this anime, it's characters (even the all-too-perfect one), and the animation and effects. It's one of the few series that a special place in my heart.

With that, I eagerly await October and hope this series never stops.

Kirito literally goes to all of you mentioned in the LN series be it mainline or Progressive. It's just not adapted into the anime for some weird reason. I mean, they began to do a bit on Alicization but holy fuck, in the 5th arc and it's not even completely but just a smaller part.

Kirito would be much more liked in the western community if A-1 adapted his thoughts and struggles.

ToshiroChan said:
Not bad for the first season of Alicization, bitterweet ending in the end, the bromance and brofeels are so strong with this one. I feel touched by their bond.

So i'm assuming that Alice will never retrieve her old memories back since the crystal thing which her memories are restored has been destroyed along with Eugeo, the scene where young Alice and Eugeo walked together leaving Kirito behind is the proof i guess.

The cliffhanger ending leaving me with bitter taste in my mouth, so many things going on in this finale. Im guessing the armed intruders that infiltrate the Rath facility are the same people from the very first couple episodes, remember when Sinon got chased by a bunch of player killers in GGO, question is who are they ? what do they want ?

OMG i cannot wait for the next season, i'm going crazy pls send help ! also i need more Asuna screen times

Overall score 9/10

Yes, the two Alice were pretty much different people. The original Alice is their childhood friend while Sysntesis 30 is a new one with a different personality and memory. If Alice was never destroyed, Kirito and Eugeo would have to fight for which one of them would survive.

GoldenDevilGamer said:
Was never really too fond of the SAO series, but thoroughly enjoyed this season. Production values are top notch and the writing is levels above the previous seasons. Plus, new characters like Eugeo and Alice are much more likable than the old cast.

RIP Eugeo, he was my favorite aspect of Alicization. I liked him as a deuteragonist and his dynamic with Kirito was fun. Idk how much I'll enjoy the next season without Eugeo, but if the writing's good enough, then I don't mind.

Not an LN reader, but I could tell that cutting out some of Eugeo's backstory (I think that's what they cut out, not sure), affected some of the impact of his choices in the later parts. Since 6 novels were covered in this season, that leaves only 4 for next season, so the pacing should be better. One other issue with this season was that even though the animations were good, the fight choreography was pretty lacking, making some of the fights feel a bit shallow.

7/10

Yeah, they really cut Eugeo's backstory and that's clear when we see Quinella manipulating him due to his family but the anime never introduced that. It makes no sense.

I began to read the LN and the beginning of the arc already begins mentioning Eugeo's family and situation while in the anime we never even knew about them. Without even counting the many other things cut on it.
brzzcodeApr 18, 2019 10:14 PM
Apr 19, 2019 10:33 AM
Jan 2016
I can't believe that Eugeo died, my heart is bleeding. Except for this, I'm pleasantly surprised at how well this arc is executed, can't wait to see the 2nd cour after that cliffhanger.
Apr 21, 2019 1:20 PM

Jun 2014
I knew Eugeo would die and Kirito
because I saw the cover of light novel #15, which is a huge spoiler. I'm angry at the publisher for releasing such spoilerish covers. And then I read Yen Press' description of novel #15 because I wanted to confirm my suspicion. But it was still sad to see Eugeo's death in the anime. Eugeo and Asuna are the only partners of Kirito that I like a lot. Others are just ok, nothing special. Alice30 might become more likable later, she didn't have that much screen time (and I HATE her armor). It will be hard to wait for the 2nd part of this season. Thank God now I have Fruits Basket reboot to watch every week, it will make the wait a lot easier.

I usually don't watch anime as they air, I wait until they are finished so I can binge watch all at once and not have to wait a week for each new episode. With SAO3 I had to watch it to see which characters I would like, to know whose figure I want to buy, because SAO is very popular and figures get expensive with time. For Fruits Basket and Sailor Moon reboots I watch(ed) them because I already knew what would happen because I read the manga & saw the old anime and I'm too curious about the reboot to not watch as it airs.
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Apr 23, 2019 6:45 PM

Feb 2014
Hm... nothing actual new in this season. Not that this is a problem on its own, just that it wasn´t as pleasant as the other seasons, in general.

Also, it got tiring to watch since they kept saying and repeating the same things over and over; and also some other complaints such as cardinal death, the idea of 2 Alices, the actual Alice (who probably already fell for Kirito lol) and the 'real' Alice who went away with Eugeo...

Kind hard to give a 6 to a franchise I enjoyed so much when I started watching (first seasons).

Still, anxious for the 2nd cour.
TechOtakuApr 23, 2019 7:04 PM
Apr 24, 2019 8:34 AM
Jan 2017
I love the ending when both kirito and quinella rip off their hand and lef only kirito hand then kirito using the finishing technique and she lost,,

its so sad when eugeo died,, i cry here,, huh godd endng i love this,,
And btw asuna what r u doing there in the ending,,

8/10
Apr 30, 2019 3:50 AM

Feb 2018
caio_brb said:
killuaxgon said:
More rape scenes lmao, Rape Art online

There was no rape scene on this episode. lmao

That is what appears to be occuring when the clown mounts the Administrator and says "now I can be one with you."

I assume the guys attacking Rath are the guys from GGO that were training for a mission in the real world.
Apr 30, 2019 6:15 AM

Oct 2016
FUCK. THIS. SHIT.
May 6, 2019 3:03 PM

Jan 2013
Awesome seeing Kirito's outfit from SAO.
The scene where Quinella and Kirito both sever the arms off each other was a sight to behold.
Was that Bercouli as one of the infiltrators at the end, with the blue hair, meaning his Fluctlight got installed in an AI already?

This ending ... WTF ... you can't leave us like this ಠ_ಠ

This season was truly amazing, I feel like they're finally back to what made the first season of SAO so good, compelling interesting story, good pace for every episode and characters you actually care about.
Some of the fights felt a bit meh though, despite the amazing art and animation this season.

9/10
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Anyone else lowkey prefer Alice to Asuna?

Marinate1016 - Jun 25, 2019

47 by Marinate1016 »»
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

190 by fssf1606 »»
Feb 12, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.