Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 30, 2019 8:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So we got Kirito vs Quinella in the finale. Definitely expected it since this arc has been building up to this point..

That turned into a blaze fast, literally. I mean, there's no way this could of ended without chaos so the battle turned out to be just like that. Personally, I hated Quinella in this show so she got what was coming to her. Cute to see more of Alice's past again. It kinda reminded me how this Alicization arc started.

On the other hand, this season turned out to be better than I had expected.

Next part airs Fall 2019.
Stark700Mar 30, 2019 8:29 AM
Mar 30, 2019 8:27 AM

Jun 2017
That was great. Overall this season could have been much better if they had adapted it properly. But LN adaptations always tend to be rushed given the nature of the medium. I wonder when the next cour will come out. The middle part of the season was not well done as I see it.

Finally Quinella is down. Ironic that she was finally killed by her own creation, the clown.
Mar 30, 2019 8:27 AM

Nov 2007
The lady is too strong that she knows his skills outside this world.

Both of the guys remembered the time in ep.1.

Bloody sword born and he is now double-sword again. It works. The lady lost one arm and is frustrated. He lost his arm while she lost another arm. She can also control her hairs. Bloody sword hurt her body, so she goes out early, but got burned by that creepy guy's fire, the thought of wanting to go along.

Eugeo guy's lost too much blood. He said main guy doesn't need to cure him because he felt guilty.

The detail to the part that shown that affected Eugeo guy earlier. It was them preparing for his b-day present. Then he went with his Alice girl.

Main guy getting in contact with the real world, which under attack.

The scientist instructed main guy to go to World end ... what? (is that "order"?), bringing Alice.

Ending part 1 w. cliffhanger? Seeing Asuna girl.

Part 2 "War of Underworld" starts this Fall.
tsubasaloverMar 30, 2019 8:34 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 30, 2019 8:36 AM

Sep 2015
New game lol

Mar 30, 2019 8:40 AM
Jan 2018
Nayout said:
New game lol

It's looks like something they haven't done before . Wonder how it will connect with the gameverse or it's completely separate
Mar 30, 2019 8:44 AM

Jul 2017
Not at all a bad season, hoped the tower arc could've been executed better but oh well

Time for TG:re simulator in the next season
Mar 30, 2019 8:50 AM

Sep 2015
Mattinator95 said:
Nayout said:
New game lol

It's looks like something they haven't done before . Wonder how it will connect with the gameverse or it's completely separate

This is what I wonder considering that Alice / Eugeo already know Kirito in the games (like what happened to Yuuki as secret boss in Hollow Fragment)
Mar 30, 2019 9:03 AM
Jan 2018
Nayout said:
Mattinator95 said:

This is what I wonder considering that Alice / Eugeo already know Kirito in the games (like what happened to Yuuki as secret boss in Hollow Fragment)

This is just a teaser after all and the games normally connect in some way or another . And given that Alice and egueo are in the fate bullet dlc . But not sure what happens though as I haven't played the dlc yet

Also the 6 month break is very fitting
Mattinator95Mar 30, 2019 9:29 AM
Mar 30, 2019 9:54 AM

Mar 2015
WHAT TYPE OF CLIFFHANGER IS THAT, I DON'T LIKE IT
Mar 30, 2019 9:58 AM
Jan 2018
A-1 really needs this 6 month break the animation has been horrible in most parts
Mar 30, 2019 10:01 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Was never really too fond of the SAO series, but thoroughly enjoyed this season. Production values are top notch and the writing is levels above the previous seasons. Plus, new characters like Eugeo and Alice are much more likable than the old cast.

RIP Eugeo, he was my favorite aspect of Alicization. I liked him as a deuteragonist and his dynamic with Kirito was fun. Idk how much I'll enjoy the next season without Eugeo, but if the writing's good enough, then I don't mind.

Not an LN reader, but I could tell that cutting out some of Eugeo's backstory (I think that's what they cut out, not sure), affected some of the impact of his choices in the later parts. Since 6 novels were covered in this season, that leaves only 4 for next season, so the pacing should be better. One other issue with this season was that even though the animations were good, the fight choreography was pretty lacking, making some of the fights feel a bit shallow.

7/10
Mar 30, 2019 10:06 AM

Apr 2017
Always been a big fan of SAO and this did not disappoint imo. Throughout the series I was always thinking, what the hell is going on in the real world during this and ending with that crazy shit just leaves so many questions. I cannot wait for season 2.

I love to talk anime and manga, feel free to message me!
Mar 30, 2019 10:08 AM
Dec 2011
A spectacular ending!!!!!! I really loved this season!!! I'm planning on reading the light novel for Alicization sometime in the future. :)
Mar 30, 2019 10:10 AM

Sep 2018
RIP Eugeo,i almost cried when he died such a good mc for this arc.......

now we wait for the october........
well that's just my opinion.....
Mar 30, 2019 10:12 AM

Feb 2018
As I love SAO from the bottom of my heart, Alicization was amazing. Animation was perfect, writing was for sure great too. The only thing that was missing for me was some more badass fights It's sad that Eugeo died not forgetting about Cardinal. I can't wait for more!

lezerman said:
WHAT TYPE OF CLIFFHANGER IS THAT, I DON'T LIKE IT

YEAH, THAT WAS NUTS.

Like, seriously, cliffhanger was perfect.
Mar 30, 2019 10:15 AM
Dec 2008
I wonder what happens next, too lazy to read light novel, anyone want to tell me or tell me where I can find summaries?
Mar 30, 2019 10:16 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Quinella sure is full of surprises being able to not just wield a sword effectively but also use sword skills as well. The amount of skills that she can call on is astounding. Eugeo really gave it his all to motivate Kirito though. But the effects that it had sure were satisfying. The fight though sure was a brutal affair with both sides truly giving their all. But man what a way for her to end though being done in by the elder. Hmm so that time they were actually making a present for Eugeo. That and the moment when they presented it sure was sweet. Damm Eugeo's parting words that were filled with his heartfelt feelings and understanding and his passing sure was emotional. The child Alice and Eugeo walking away together as they entrusted their hopes to their adult selves sure was a nice touch. While its nice that Kirito was able to reach the outside world looks like things on the ocean turtle are far from peaceful. An excellent finale to the end of the first half of the arc and one that did well in keeping me at the edge of my seat such was the tension. Looking forward to seeing the next season and the next half of the arc. That was also an excellent cliffhanger as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2019 10:24 AM

Dec 2014
It was a pretty good finale especially with the cliffhanger ending.

So I guess my question is, was that the last we will ever see of Quinella? If that is, then I guess I'm a little disappointed. The clown thing kinda came out of nowhere and it's also kinda disappointing that she went out that way. I really liked her despite her being the antagonist, she just had too much going for her I guess. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I kinda liked the original idea of her escaping and coming back later. XD

Who were the people attacking RATH? Did Asuna enter the world there or is Kirito just hallucinating?

Overall, I guess this is definitely the best season of SAO. I enjoyed the initial episodes with more exposition and world building a lot more than the middle half of the season. However, Quinella made the final part of the season very entertaining for me, points for that. I still think the first episode of Alicization is one of the best episodes of SAO in general, I find it quite interesting that what the series needed to succeed the most was almost a hard reset on everything, forcing an almost entirely alternate plotline. Bringing Kirito back into Underworld with all his memories intact kinda lost the initial charm that the first episode had. However, this is not to say Alicization is bad, in fact it's better than everything before it. It's just that I get the sense that the author is not able to find a good way to tie everything that's happened prior to Alicization with everything he wants to showcase in Alicization. I can respect not wanting to abandon your old characters but it's ironic that what makes this arc good is that it tries to start afresh on almost a clean slate. Production was generally very good, A1 are stepping up huge in recent days. Looking forward to S2.

8/10
Mar 30, 2019 10:30 AM

Mar 2019
i cry so much this epp.... nooooo eugio :'( :'( :'(
emotionall so much. omg real world getting war too?
maybe admin got out with clown afterall ? :/
i really love 2nd half epp.. 9.999/10
Mar 30, 2019 10:31 AM
Dec 2018
In my opinion this was the best episode of the entire series.
The action was pretty good, but it could have been better, the writing was awesome and it had lots of touching moments(which Sao excels with).
The animation were pretty good too.
Mar 30, 2019 10:38 AM

May 2016
R.I.P Eugeo... this is the first time I feel this sadness from SAO.

started pretty strong but gut mediocre halfway 7/10
Mar 30, 2019 10:38 AM

Aug 2013
RIP Eugeo. He was such a great character. His ending was quite emotional.

A good finale with that cliffhanger. Wonder who those guys where.

Looking forward to S2.

8/10

Mar 30, 2019 10:42 AM

Apr 2014
After finishing this episode. Not gonna lie. There was not much improvement in terms of what it is. When it comes to art, animation, choreography, music, and certain info revelation. I guess that is pretty cool. But if anything it gotten way too much over hype. The season seems okay in terms of action and music in its' own way. But if anything it is your typical type of anime that you can find any day on may series. Next cours if I remember correctly is where many might be looking forward to.
Mar 30, 2019 10:42 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Just realized that Quinella got her arm back for a split-second XD

Mar 30, 2019 10:43 AM

Jun 2010
I did not realize they would be making us wait until Fall for the next half of Alization. Gosh fucking dammit, really? They ended it off that way. UGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!

It was a good episode but FUCKING COME ON MAN!
Mar 30, 2019 10:50 AM

Aug 2016
The fight against Quinella when he's single wielding is cut shorter and while he's dual wielding is made longer but the overall fight is shorter than LN, they also add many additional scenes which I prefer to pour them to the fight scene but oh well I guess it's alright and quite satisfying. Eugeo's final scene is adapted great just like I expected and it's make me sad all over.

The 2nd half is 4 volumes contrary to 6 volumes 1st half so I have huge hope for the 3rd cour since they rushed too much and cut many important scenes while the more unimportant one is kept and they depict the scene quite bad although the art is good. Well because of this I'm hype for the next cour since there would be a lot of fighting.

Overall I like this season and although it's not the best adaptation but it's enjoyable and I look forward to it every week. Will meet again in October i guess.

8/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2019 10:51 AM

Oct 2010
That was a MUCH better use of 虹の彼方に by ReoNa than the last time lol. Much more fitting. I was hoping it would be a decent spot to end but then they throw that all stuff at the end and it doesn't even feel like we have to wait 6 months but we do lol. Overall a good season with some areas I felt were too slow. Maaya Sakamoto owned this season
KougeruMar 30, 2019 10:59 AM
Mar 30, 2019 10:56 AM

Feb 2013
Wow, I wasn't expecting this ending, super!
Lol, Administrator died because that piggy was too hot.
RIP Eugeo :(
Mar 30, 2019 10:57 AM
Jun 2016
Ehh, it was pretty decent. The visuals were for the most part amazing, if not a little uncanny at times. The fights were generally good, albeit a tad too short in many occasions. I feel like many of the fights were over in under a minute lol. Hope they improve upon this in the next cour.

Now, I haven't read the light novels or anything, but I couldn't shake the feeling that some parts of this season felt a little rushed. Like that timeskip of two years they did way back in episode 10 or something lol. That was complete bullshit in my opinion. And I have also heard that the show skipped quite a lot of stuff from the novels, so I might have to read them at some point before October lol.

But yeah, all in all, I am left feeling positively surprised. Didn't expect this season to be as solid as it was, and I have to admit that it has been fun tuning in every saturday to watch the latest episode. Definitely gonna miss doing that, as it has kinda become part of my routine at this point.

Now then, time to face the long wait until October. Until then, gentlemen.
Mar 30, 2019 11:02 AM
Jan 2018
Weebston said:
Ehh, it was pretty decent. The visuals were for the most part amazing, if not a little uncanny at times. The fights were generally good, albeit a tad too short in many occasions. I feel like many of the fights were over in under a minute lol. Hope they improve upon this in the next cour.

Now, I haven't read the light novels or anything, but I couldn't shake the feeling that some parts of this season felt a little rushed. Like that timeskip of two years they did way back in episode 10 or something lol. That was complete bullshit in my opinion. And I have also heard that the show skipped quite a lot of stuff from the novels, so I might have to read them at some point before October lol.

But yeah, all in all, I am left feeling positively surprised. Didn't expect this season to be as solid as it was, and I have to admit that it has been fun tuning in every saturday to watch the latest episode. Definitely gonna miss doing that, as it has kinda become part of my routine at this point.

Now then, time to face the long wait until October. Until then, gentlemen.

The only thing that was skipped was the boys arrving in the city after 5 or 6 months from the village and entering a tournament to enter the school with a few character introductions the 1.5 year skip would have happened anyway ( in underworld time )and a few other things such as the spider etc

And there a six month time skip after this episode ( in underworld time ) which is also how long it's gonna take till 3rd cour starts
Mar 30, 2019 11:06 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Just realized that Quinella got her arm back for a split-second XD

so i wasn't the only person who noticed

i actually scrolled back just to make sure i wasn't seeing things lol
Mar 30, 2019 11:11 AM

Apr 2018
More rape scenes lmao, Rape Art online
Mar 30, 2019 11:15 AM

Nov 2009
Loved the ending of this season! I felt sad that Eugeo died though. :(
Any explanation is worthless to a blind hater, any criticism is worthless to a blind fanboy.
Mar 30, 2019 11:21 AM

Feb 2009
The fuck was that ending

Anyway, one of the better SAO seasons, came close to the first original SAO arc. 9/10
Mar 30, 2019 11:26 AM

Mar 2016
I tried not to cry during that part with Eugeo, but fuuucccckkkkk...

"Stay cool...Kirito"

that was the last straw for me.....
Mar 30, 2019 11:33 AM
Sep 2017
killuaxgon said:

That meme is overused
Mar 30, 2019 11:35 AM
Oct 2018
Ahhhhhhh.... I cried at the recollection scene. But its so frustrating that Part 2 is coming Fall this year(at least it didn't get postponed to Jan 2020 like another anime I like). Damn.... Can't wait for the game as well, might as well grab the most expensive bundle and grind thru the months until part 2 gets aired.
Mar 30, 2019 11:35 AM

Jan 2018
Well, her hairs what can I say surely is a convenient thing I mean how they cover her base even though she moving here and there so fast.
Mar 30, 2019 11:36 AM
Jan 2018
weeabootakbankai said:
killuaxgon said:

That meme is overused

And old considering there hasnt been one for a while unless you count mind rape
Mar 30, 2019 11:37 AM
Jan 2018
Congintive said:
Well, her hairs what can I say surely is a convenient thing I mean how they cover her base even though she moving here and there so fast.

I wanna know if that will be edited later XD they could easily just gave her no nips surely thats aloud right
Mar 30, 2019 11:41 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, quite the intense finale to sign things off with (for now)!

Kirito v Quinella was an awesome fight to see! It could’ve certainly been better with some more cool action choreographies and a bit more drawn out, but maybe that’s just me. Should’ve been a 25- or 26-episode season instead, seriously. As expected, Quinella is fearsome just as you’d expect and she’s got some crazy powers to boot. Double handed Kirito returns after all that teasing and it sure got the spotlight for a while, although I still don’t understand he’s able to summon his SAO form.

It’s kind of ironic that the Clown, her own creation, sees through her demise at the end of the fight as someone already pointed out above. Pretty underwhelming demise as a whole though, she literally got crisped to death and couldn’t break free from the Clowns clutches but was she seriously on her way to the real world? Heck, that would’ve been .. it should be impossible, right? She’s just another expendable fluctlight and cant just appear in the real world with Administrator form, right? Whatever the case, I’m assuming she’s not really dead just yet but well I’ll find out in six months times.

Anyways, Eugeo’s final moments were quite emotional this time, the detail of that backstory just made it all the more crippling to see. Thinking back, Quinella taking advantage of this section by conveniently excluding his part in it seems like a really heartless thing to do but hey who am I kidding with here, it’s the Lady Administrator after all. Got teary-eyed a bit too, ReoNa’s song in the background is just too good and perfectly blended it after all.

Meanwhile, we’re back to the real world. Lol, totally forgot about the warships and all that and now the Ocean Turtle is supposedly under attack. But boy, what a cliffhanger!
“You’ve to find Alice and ...”
“What do you mean ‘find’. She’s right here!”
“Oh, son of a miracle”
xD, this part was oddly hilarious. In all seriousness though, I’m assuming it’s those GGO gamers here that are attacking this Ocean Turtle. I wonder how they came to know of this place even and a lot more questions.

As for the whole season in general though, I thoroughly enjoyed the start but the middle and somewhat the final few episodes including this finale to a certain extent too felt a little dull and unconvincing or so to say. During the mid-phase onwards, it was as though the story just moved along to the convenience of Kirito and Eugeo. Still enjoyed this aplenty though, Eugeo’s Character, in particular, was a great treat! Quinella was one heck of a villain but I honestly didn’t like her, unlike many here. Seeing her backstabbed was oddly satisfying for me, lol. Animation took a grand step forward! Season 1 and 2 had good animation but this was clearly on another level for the most bit. Sound Department was really good this Season too, as expected from Yuki Kajiura! ReoNa’s ED 2 was my favourite among the Op and ED themes this Season but they were all great! Voice Acting was a job well done too!

I honestly didn’t think this franchise would rise up like this. I can, finally at long last, see why most people are so into this show and it’s honestly relieving for me as I’ve wanted to enjoy Sword Art Online ever since the Aincrad arc.

All things said, I’ll award this show a 7.25/10 and a shy away from an 8. Second half will be coming this upcoming fall season and there’s lesser content there so hopefully it won’t be as rushed as this first half.
_MushiRock11_Mar 30, 2019 10:05 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 30, 2019 11:43 AM
Jan 2018
What's with the inconsistent of blood this season . Is it censorship or do they just forget to add it
Mar 30, 2019 11:51 AM

Jul 2016
Emotional episode, its a nice conclusion for the first part. Quinella vs Kirito fight, albeit short its had a nice animation. The Eugeo scene with the insert song is a nice choice bcuz its gives the scene more emotional to it. And the last part a handful of armed group attack the Ocean Turtle. Overall its a very good season of SAO, and looking forward to the second part.

Mar 30, 2019 11:51 AM

Aug 2014
meh after all that hype from people i expected more..
Mar 30, 2019 11:52 AM

Feb 2013
killuaxgon said:

There was no rape scene on this episode. lmao
Mar 30, 2019 11:52 AM

Jul 2012
Don't know, liked the beginning and return of SAO, but in the middle part was not feeling it at all. So much stuff seems like is to take for granted, mb it was always like that and i was ok with it before. Not adding to the picture that didn't like Eugeo's character at all. Well at least the ending was pretty decent. Overall not really what i expected, but will probably watch next season (hope for something better) 6/10
Mar 30, 2019 12:02 PM

Sep 2015
I suppose that the rest of 6 months is so that they can animate all the fights that come in War of Underworld lol
Because the arc has almost three times more battles than this one.
Mar 30, 2019 12:07 PM

Jul 2015
That was one hell of an evil cliffhanger lmao, time to wait until the sequel I guess.

Eugeo's death scene hit me quite hard, loved the execution of it!

7/10 from my part, I wasn't too much of a fan of SAO but this was an enjoyable season outside of the infodump episodes.
Mar 30, 2019 12:07 PM
Jan 2018
Probably get round to reading the LN eventually but I go so many LNs to read at the moment ( like 20 ) plus like 30 manga volumes . It getting pretty crowded
Mar 30, 2019 12:09 PM

Jan 2019
So the final fight takes place ... there wasn't much action tho. But the cliffhanger man ... Now we have to wait 6 months now for the next part. :(
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Anyone else lowkey prefer Alice to Asuna?

Marinate1016 - Jun 25, 2019

47 by Marinate1016 »»
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

190 by fssf1606 »»
Feb 12, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.