Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 6, 2019 11:36 PM

Dec 2016
sports animes always have the best endings.

nice to see them all grown up and 'mature'; would be great to have an ova or summat following that theme.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Apr 7, 2019 7:58 AM

Nov 2012
Ahh this was a pretty amazing anime. For the last few episodes where the characters and overall show wrapped up beautifully I'd rate it 10/10 but if it's the whole anime probably only 8/10. Either way it was amazing and I loved it. Definitely need to give props to Haiji though, he really is the real MVP from episode 1, what an amazing and inspiring character!
Apr 7, 2019 8:03 AM

Apr 2013
IG really excels at making great sport anime. Cried a bit. I love seeing Haiji getting what he wanted. I'm really weak to emotional sport show
8.5/10
TriZenApr 7, 2019 8:06 AM
Apr 10, 2019 2:59 PM
Oct 2018
Not normally a fan of sports anime but I found the show really funny and endearing. Would give it an 8/10, will probably have re-watched by the end of the year.
Apr 13, 2019 10:44 AM
Jan 2016
Simply beautiful...that passion, man. Sports anime is always amazing and give you a unbelievable passion. I really like how this anime end, is not over yet, it's only the beginning of a new era.
Apr 14, 2019 12:12 PM

Jul 2014
This show is an example of heights the anime medium can reach. For all the trashy ecchi harem wish fulfillment otaku pandering power fantasy anime that seem to characterize modern anime, its gems like this that make it worth sifting through all the trash. Thank you staff at Production IG and Shion Miura for giving us this beautiful work of art.
Apr 16, 2019 9:45 AM

May 2016
Oh those feels, I loved the anime so much.
May 13, 2019 5:05 PM

Feb 2013
Too bad Shindo got that cold, who knows what position they would be in now but let's not think about that now, Kakeru broke that record and Haiji gave everyting he had!
May 30, 2019 2:25 AM

Feb 2018
phantomfandom said:
Wow, we now have two sports anime begin in 2018 that end with possible gay ending

What's the second one??
May 30, 2019 3:54 AM
Sep 2015
Slores said:
phantomfandom said:
Wow, we now have two sports anime begin in 2018 that end with possible gay ending

What's the second one??

I'll put it in spoiler because it'll give away how that anime end...
May 30, 2019 6:40 AM

Dec 2013
Oh geez, I really cried. Haiji!!!! I just want to hug him with all my might after he finished sthe race. So it means that he will become a coach? Lol at Musa! He's so damn cute! I wonder if Hana likes any of the twins, I'm having doubts right now. Great ending, this anime made me really engaged with the story and characters.
_kukiyomenaiMay 30, 2019 6:46 AM

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

May 30, 2019 1:33 PM

Feb 2018
phantomfandom said:
Slores said:

What's the second one??

I'll put it in spoiler because it'll give away how that anime end...

Thank you ^_^

this post contains 15 characters
May 30, 2019 2:23 PM

May 2013
Awwhhhhh, I loveeeeeee.

Haiji runs drippin' in gold-- that was awesome!!!!!!
And his dad was lowkey keeping up with the news :') how sweet.
I'm just relieved Haiji's still able to walk lol. That's all I'm concerned about for our bby

It ended the best way, with Kakeru asking the question which started it all :'D

Super proud of Kakeru for breaking record in 1:08:59-- fucking monster hahahah. I've never seen Ouji so excited before xD T'was heartwarming <3

Kansei has so many lively runners now! WAOW!!!!! *O*

Betchu Hana-chan likes both HUEHUEHUE. Getchu dem twin fantasies, gurl ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Really good series. 8/10.
If you love being in your feels, this is def the anime for ya ;D I enjoyed every emotional flashback per team member until the end-- From Ouji all the way to Haiji.
Jul 20, 2019 11:44 AM
Mar 2013
Re: Hana

She was confused by the word "dochi" which means basically "which out of two". She was confused and then she realised Musa was referring to the twins as they could be the only "dochi" in the team.

Who Hana liked was NOT one of the twins. My money's on Kakeru.
Jul 31, 2019 2:18 PM

Apr 2012
Nexosan said:
phantomfandom said:

Besides from the sparkling effect from those two, the previous episode Kakeru think now he know what falling in love feel like, with Jota/Joji (still can't remember their name) wondering who he mentioned. Now this episode Kakeru mentioned that Haiji is the answer, but to what question? Previous episode question or the new one, I don't know. That's why I said possible...

I think that Haiji is the inspiration (!) for Kakeru to run, It's most likely not meant to be taken in a romantic way.

Exactly. I am glad that at least someone understood this, and did not begin to try to understand it too literally.

kuraharah said:
Jin_uzuki said:
Felt like Production I.G. was shipping Kakeru and Haiji heavily in the last episodes, with the whole "I'm in love too (with running)" in the previous episodes and then "To me running is you" this one.
That was damn good

"too," suggests that they both are in love with him, lol. Then I have a question, if it was really supposed to be a hint, then why aren't they a couple in a distant final? It is strange that the author openly portrays heterosexual crush, but at the same time supposedly avoids any open BL, if by your logic, it should have been so serious.
RobertBobertJul 31, 2019 2:41 PM
Jul 31, 2019 2:27 PM

Apr 2012
phantomfandom said:
Nexosan said:

I think that Haiji is the inspiration (!) for Kakeru to run, It's most likely not meant to be taken in a romantic way.

I'm not trying to bring information from outside the literature, but the light novel author Shion Miura is a yaoi fan. (source: https://www.shinshokan.co.jp/comic/4-403-22048-7/)

This is only an indirect "proof", especially considering that in her most famous work (Not to mention the other adaptations of her josei works), both of the main male leads are mutually in love with women and are married to them.
RobertBobertJul 31, 2019 2:31 PM
Jul 31, 2019 3:29 PM

Apr 2012
kuraharah said:
RobertBobert said:
then why aren't they a couple in a distant final?
Who said they aren't? :D

RobertBobert said:
I am glad that at least someone understood this, and did not begin to try to understand it too literally.
We're no morons, of course we understand. People just like to hope that there's some way for their ship, because we hardly ever get gay couples in anime outside of BL genre (and when we do, it gets frowned on by common audience anyways).

Well, after talking with yuri fandom, I came to the conclusion that many yaoi fangirls are quite cute and smart guys, lol.

I understand everything, I just had a bad experience discussing this franchise over the 13th episode, so the discussion of shiping in this show causes me to have negative associations. Well, I haven't checked it yet, but I hope you enjoy Given
Jul 31, 2019 7:00 PM
Jul 2019
One of the best anime i have ever watched
Aug 15, 2019 5:57 AM
Apr 2016
RobertBobert said:
Nexosan said:

Exactly. I am glad that at least someone understood this, and did not begin to try to understand it too literally.

kuraharah said:
That was damn good

"too," suggests that they both are in love with him, lol. Then I have a question, if it was really supposed to be a hint, then why aren't they a couple in a distant final? It is strange that the author openly portrays heterosexual crush, but at the same time supposedly avoids any open BL, if by your logic, it should have been so serious.

Because in 2006, when the novel was written, explicit gay romances in non-BL series almost never exist. Even to this day, there's only Sarazanmai that had a guy explicitly romantically confess to another guy and explicit confirmation that "we are a couple". If she did make this actual BL she can have the relationship be explicit, but she would be severely limiting the target audience of the novel.

Why do we need "proof" that two characters are in love? It can be inferred from subtext. Plenty of heterosexual characters only have subtext too (Meruem and Komugi from HxH, Cells at work, Noragami, Mikasa towards Eren in AOT) but no one tries to deny that they have romantic feelings? If you really dislike the idea, you can choose to ignore it. But no, no one has to prove that two boys are in love. There's enough textual evidence to support that idea than evidence that suggests that they are heterosexual.
Aug 15, 2019 7:22 AM

Apr 2012
@Tsukizono Oh my friend, of course, many works prefer qeer subtext over a real image of qeer relationships, but the tendency to see a romantic subtext in literally any character interaction just provokes everything into a shitty conspiracy theory. For a complete set, you just lack the allegations that the relationship of the guys are deliberately hidden because of the machinations of Jews, aliens and cultural marxists in the government, lol. However, if you are left, then it’s even easier, just say that "the Russians did it".

And since we are start talking about a heterosexual subtext, then in 90% it is extremely simple and open, without requiring mental exercises like "oh, he considers him his best friend ... so gay!". Noragami had to use all these subtle metaphors in the style of MariMite? Did AoT use any very ambiguous messages like fresh Banana Fish? However, the experience of various shonen and shoujo can serve as a good example of the fact that in the pursuit of the subtext search, slashers can ignore even completely open heterosexual relationships (hi Shouwa Rokugo and BNHA)

But even if you forget about it, if for your theory you need a lot of interpretations and studies of indirect points, then this doesn't speak in favor of the theory. And I won’t even say how much damage the real qeer content get due to the popularity of all this conspiracy shit. It took a lot of years and the adaptation of such a masterpiece as Yagatte Kimi ni Naru, so that real yuri finally got the same financial success as any yuri bait and fake yuri before that.
RobertBobertAug 15, 2019 7:54 AM
Aug 15, 2019 8:22 AM
Apr 2016
RobertBobert said:
@Tsukizono Oh my friend, of course, many works prefer qeer subtext over a real image of qeer relationships, but the tendency to see a romantic subtext in literally any character interaction just provokes everything into a shitty conspiracy theory. For a complete set, you just lack the allegations that the relationship of the guys are deliberately hidden because of the machinations of Jews, aliens and cultural marxists in the government, lol. However, if you are left, then it’s even easier, just say that "the Russians did it".

And since we are start talking about a heterosexual subtext, then in 90% it is extremely simple and open, without requiring mental exercises like "oh, he considers him his best friend ... so gay!". Noragami had to use all these subtle metaphors in the style of MariMite? Did AoT use any very ambiguous messages like fresh Banana Fish?

But even if you forget about it, if for your theory you need a lot of interpretations and studies of indirect points, then this doesn't speak in favor of the theory. And I won’t even say how much damage the real qeer content get due to the popularity of all this conspiracy shit. It took a lot of years and the adaptation of such a masterpiece as Yagatte Kimi ni Naru, so that real yuri finally got the same financial success as any yuri bait and fake yuri before that.

Banana Fish wasn't even frickin ambiguous at all. Even if not in a romantic context, they literally kissed, with tongue, did anything to protect each other, is recognised as each other's weaknesses. In a comedic segment Eiji was excited to see Ash's dick. In the epilogue that wasn't adapted a character even refers to them as "they have a relationship like lovers".

Your "best friend" example isn't even remotely close to any of the "subtext" shows in the recent years. Even Rakugo had clear subtext - Kiku refuses to clean a woman's ear but would clean his best friend's ear, an act that is seen as only a married couple would do. Kakeru, after a phone call with Haiji, says that he is in love. We infer that it is running, though the subtext is still there. The next episode, Kakeru equates Haiji to running. Also in that one scene where Haiji asks whether Kakeru has a girlfriend, looks up and says "the night sky is so beautiful", which is a blatant reference to "the moon is beautiful". Sure, these are metaphors, but it's obvious enough.

I disagree that "real queer content" is "damaged" due to "conspiracy shit". It's not like creators can help it, and I'm sure they don't "prefer" subtext. To producers, it just doesn't sell, and turns off a large portion of audience. At least, not until Yuri on Ice exploded, and all these explicit queer shows popped up. Bloom into You is great, but it is actual GL, so it doesn't need to be "bait". RWTW is not BL, and not everyone can push boundaries, so it remains subtext. I think the yuri bait stuff you mentioned is mostly shows aimed towards straight men, like Sakura trick or something. GL aimed towards women tend to be better. Also, Utena, Aoi Hana, and Yurikuma Arashi exist, even if they aren't popular.
Aug 15, 2019 8:42 AM

Apr 2012
@Tsukizono Yep, that’s why the author admitted in an interview that she made them two guys, because shiping in the story about a guy and a girl is too obvious. Already in the next paragraph you abuse the word "obvious" because shipers are forced to constantly use this word to convince themselves. There are no unobvious ships for them.

Again, "they do what looks like it" and "this is an obvious metaphor." What can we talk about if you do not even see the difference between intentional subtext (not to mention that homoerotic subtext can have quite different goals depending on the work), interesting interpretation or simple qeerbaiting? Come on dude. As I can tell from your page, you are a big fan of Haikyuu. In your vision of the world, are the characters of this Shonen Jump's title also in a hidden gay relationship?

You yourself claim that the BL industry needed over-hyped shows like Yuri on ICE!, to get shows with real gay males, but you still deny my words. Lol I will not even say that the very appearance of YoI is a direct continuation of shiping in heterosexual sports shows. This is not new, shows like Hanoha are also related to male yuri fanboys' interest in the original mahou shoujo. Ultimately, if yaoi fangirls didn't enjoy gay interpretations of male interaction in old shonen shows like Captain Tsubasa, then now you wouldn't have even that. If BL fandom continues to pursue subtext instead of requiring at least just adaptations of good BL works, then they will continue to receive only teasing and rare enlightenments like Banana Fish and Yuri on ICE!. You just let the insustry continue to treat the LGBTQ theme as a popular fetish that can be used to tease people for money.
RobertBobertAug 15, 2019 9:03 AM
Aug 15, 2019 9:10 AM
Apr 2016
RobertBobert said:
@Tsukizono Yep, that’s why the author admitted in an interview that she made them two guys, because shiping in the story about a guy and a girl is too obvious. Already in the next paragraph you abuse the word "obvious" because shipers are forced to constantly use this word to convince themselves. There are no unobvious ships for them.

Again, "they do what looks like it" and "this is an obvious metaphor." What can we talk about if you do not even see the difference between intentional subtext (not to mention that homoerotic subtext can have quite different goals depending on the work), interesting interpretation or simple qeerbaiting? Come on dude. As I can tell from your page, you are a big fan of Haikyuu. In your vision of the world, are the characters of this Shonen Jump's title also in a hidden gay relationship?

You yourself claim that the BL industry needed over-hyped shows like Yuri on ICE!, to get shows with real gay males, but you still deny my words. Lol I will not even say that the very appearance of YoI is a direct continuation of shiping in heterosexual sports shows. This is not new, shows like Hanoha are also related to male yuri fanboys' interest in the original mahou shoujo.

Ultimately, if yaoi fangirls didn't enjoy gay interpretations of male interaction in old shonen shows like Captain Tsubasa, then now you wouldn't have even that. If BL fandom continues to pursue subtext instead of requiring at least just adaptations of good BL works, then they will continue to receive only teasing and rare enlightenments like Banana Fish and Yuri on ICE!. You just let the insustry continue to treat the LGBTQ theme as a popular fetish that can be used to tease people for money.
RobertBobert said:

You yourself claim that the BL industry needed over-hyped shows like Yuri on ICE!, to get shows with real gay males, but you still deny my words. Lol I will not even say that the very appearance of YoI is a direct continuation of shiping in heterosexual sports shows. This is not new, shows like Hanoha are also related to male yuri fanboys' interest in the original mahou shoujo.

Ultimately, if yaoi fangirls didn't enjoy gay interpretations of male interaction in old shonen shows like Captain Tsubasa, then now you wouldn't have even that. If BL fandom continues to pursue subtext instead of requiring at least just adaptations of good BL works, then they will continue to receive only teasing and rare enlightenments like Banana Fish and Yuri on ICE!. You just let the insustry continue to treat the LGBTQ theme as a popular fetish that can be used to tease people for money.

I don't understand what i am "misreading". You claim that I do not see the difference between such, yet are there REALLY real distinct definitions for each term? And why can't a show be all three at the same time? For the record, yes, Haikyuu probably has intentional subtext, but it is likely for queerbaiting. It would be an interesting interpretation though.

I mostly agree with you actually, aside from subtext being "teasing people for money". I do agree that the industry needs more adaptations of good BL and explicit representation, but not all subtext is "fetish". It's not like boundaries can't blur anyways. I believe most subtext is intended representation, but due to production restrictions they are forced to be subtext and marketed as "shipping" and "fetish" instead. I don't like how you use "real" to refer to explicit representation and "fake" for subtext, because they are both representation. Even if explicit representation is good, we can't deny that subtext paves way for explicit and even subtext can be well-represented.
Aug 15, 2019 9:45 AM

Apr 2012
@Tsukizono I ask you this because you show an “obvious” tendency to mix things that are quite different in meaning and purpose, calling it all with the word “subtext”. Using homoerotic metaphors to emphasize the importance of the character for each other, excessive melodramatization, silly gay jokes, real qeer coding or banal ship bait fanservice, all these things have their own nuances, context of use and intentions on the part of the author.

For example, shows like Free and Tsurune, like many KyoAni's titles, use the “friendship like a romance” approach to be a melodramatic message about friendship and partnership, using romantic metaphors to convey the power of emotional teenage experience while at the same time satisfying the interest of any shipers. I will say right away that any bait in these two shows is absolutely and completely intentional, but this can also serve as an example of how subtext is used for a variety of purposes. Homoerotic subtext for portraying the importance and power of platonic relationships has been used since the Old Testament, where David allows himself lines like "our friendship is higher than love for women".

It's not that the subtext shows are supposedly "fake". MariMite manages to never go beyond the subtext, but at the same time 100% consist of representing Class S as a platonic lesbian love. The problem is that you rely too much on abstract and unprovable crap, often without even understanding the context or intentions of what you call “subtext”. I don't care if people like BL and ship two guys with each other, that's none of my business. But when people tell me that “they understand the subtext”, while thinking that
, I want to take something heavy. Like shiping? OK, your right. But don't turn it into conspiracy theology or cover it up with big words about representation. For me enough fanboys who tried to justify their love for CGDCT by calling feminist shows like K-ON! or Lucky Star.
RobertBobertAug 15, 2019 10:02 AM
Aug 15, 2019 2:02 PM

Apr 2012
@kuraharah From a person, who writes quite openly that "I watch anime for pretty boys and that gay drama", another was not expected. Or did you mean something else?
Aug 15, 2019 2:16 PM

Apr 2012
kuraharah said:
RobertBobert said:
@kuraharah From a person, who writes quite openly that "I watch anime for pretty boys and that gay drama", another was not expected. Or did you mean something else?

What does my bio have to do with me agreeing with other person's perfectly based argument?

I wouldn't call as "perfectly based argument" logic of the level "it happens that people kill. So, if you are suspected of murder, then you are a killer". It is ironic that I heard exactly the same argument in discussions over "Marnie was there", right up to the literal repetition of words and actions.
Aug 15, 2019 4:20 PM

Apr 2012
@kuraharah To begin with, I never required any of you to give up shiping. It's none of my business. My comment was only about the fact that too serious attitude to the ships in such shows is quite problematic.

And to end, such comparisons are demagogy, since people will see romance in absolutely any boy x girl interaction, without even touching my Banana Fish author's quote about that above. As the experience of Golden Kamuy and a number of sibling stories shows, people will ship this even if there are age gap and incest risk.
Aug 15, 2019 7:52 PM

May 2015
Back when this started airing, I watched 2 episodes and then put it on hold. I thought it was decent, but nothing about it was particularly note-worthy. I knew I'd return to it one day since one of my favorite genres in anime is Sports, and seeing that it had such a high score just made me even more curious...

Boy am I glad I eventually did give it a second chance. This show is a perfect example of why I think Sports anime are so good. The journey, the camaraderie between the cast, the hype, and the feels. It manages to excell at all of these aspects in only one season, without the conclusion being unsatisfying or feeling like it was rushed. This truly is a hidden gem in not only this genre, but anime as a whole. 9/10

Aug 20, 2019 2:50 AM

Apr 2009
RobertBobert said:

"too," suggests that they both are in love with him, lol.

A bit late to the discussion (Not sure why I didn't get a notification) but I'm not quite sure what you mean with this? The epilogue is kinda vague and not really focused on any relationship, but more on the team as a whole.

It is strange that the author openly portrays heterosexual crush, but at the same time supposedly avoids any open BL, if by your logic, it should have been so serious.

Which author? Kakeru is clearly straight in the book and even has a crush on Hana. It's interesting if anything that the anime (Which is a different canon at this point) completely erases that part and slowly builds his relationship with Haiji until the infamous two last episodes, we should ask ourself why the anime director and writer did that. :P I doubt it was to catch any shipper attention give the anime really wasn't quite homoerotic or shippable until episode 13 or 14.

Well, you can think what you want in the end, but I would argue it is definitely possible to read their relationship like that, as there is some actual textual evidence (I.E., it's not just fanon stuff like Haikyuu)

RobertBobert said:

I mean, relationships between guys are deliberately hidden often because of producers/execs/etc, we literally have proof of that, Ikuhara's last anime literally did a commentary on that lol.
Jin_uzukiAug 20, 2019 2:57 AM

Aug 20, 2019 6:09 AM

Apr 2012
@Jin_uzuki I think after things like Eupho, your question is pretty rhetorical. In addition, you yourself mention obviously straight shows as an object of persistent reading between the lines, so this makes reference to the audience’s opinion even more subjective. This practice is not new and unusual, especially if the authors are trying to reach a diverse audience.

I specifically mentioned Marnie was there, because this film is a good straight, but homoerotic film that was declared intentional yuri bait only because of a bare assumption of author's intentions. Neither the original author nor Ghibli ever claimed this work as a hidden lesbian story, but many write about it as a fact only because it happened in history with other works.

In any case, as I said, everyone can think what they want, even support completely impossible ships like twincest. I protest only against attempt to aggressively declare as canon, things that are based either on speculative assumptions or on the subjective interpretation of indirect things.
RobertBobertAug 20, 2019 6:13 AM
Aug 20, 2019 7:19 AM

Apr 2009
RobertBobert said:
@Jin_uzuki I think after things like Eupho, your question is pretty rhetorical. In addition, you yourself mention obviously straight shows as an object of persistent reading between the lines, so this makes reference to the audience’s opinion even more subjective. This practice is not new and unusual, especially if the authors are trying to reach a diverse audience.

I'm honestly confused on what you are trying to say (Also isn't Eupho the anime in which one of the two girls can't stop talking about how much she wants to fuck her professor and based on a straight work? At least for what I know).

I haven't watched Marnie so I don't know how to respond to that.... neither I understand why that is relevant, I can only comment on what I see in this anime, and as I said, based on the way the anime slowly builds their relationship and the final scenes I think the show amply supports a romantic reading of their relationship that doesn't feel like fanon or fujoshi delusion or how you want to call it.

Aug 20, 2019 8:04 AM

Apr 2012
Jin_uzuki said:
RobertBobert said:

I'm honestly confused on what you are trying to say (Also isn't Eupho the anime in which one of the two girls can't stop talking about how much she wants to fuck her professor and based on a straight work? At least for what I know).

I haven't watched Marnie so I don't know how to respond to that.... neither I understand why that is relevant, I can only comment on what I see in this anime, and as I said, based on the way the anime slowly builds their relationship and the final scenes I think the show amply supports a romantic reading of their relationship that doesn't feel like fanon or fujoshi delusion or how you want to call it.

Eupho is a show where director openly used the red string of fate and the visual metaphor of “boy’s first love” to portray admiration in teenage female friendships. I am not kidding. And I'm not even talking about lines like "I love you - It was confession?" in the relationship between two girls, who has canonical male love interest.

I have to repeat it. Traditionally, platonic relationships are perceived by the audience as less important and more “dry” than romantic. Therefore, many shows often use ambiguous metaphors or homoerotic subtexts to give them greater visual importance or melodramaticity. Since traditionally this tends to attract shipers, many authors like to make it seductive and attractive enough to intentionally attract such an audience. As a result, phenomena like "Jump bishonen syndrome" or Manga Time Kirara's style yuri-bait appear. Honestly, I don’t understand why I need someone to explain such simple strategies.
Aug 20, 2019 11:29 AM

Apr 2009
RobertBobert said:

I have to repeat it. Traditionally, platonic relationships are perceived by the audience as less important and more “dry” than romantic. Therefore, many shows often use ambiguous metaphors or homoerotic subtexts to give them greater visual importance or melodramaticity. Since traditionally this tends to attract shipers, many authors like to make it seductive and attractive enough to intentionally attract such an audience. As a result, phenomena like "Jump bishonen syndrome" or Manga Time Kirara's style yuri-bait appear. Honestly, I don’t understand why I need someone to explain such simple strategies.

Do they? I doubt you have peered into the mind of every author out of here. I'd wager a lot of homoeroticism on Shounen Jump is purely un-intentional, like Haikyū. I'd wager a lot of homoeroticism is also purely intentional and the result of the author trying to get get as much as s/he can while dealing with censorship and editors (Which yes, are a thing). And a lot of it is just authors writings what they like without second-thoughts. Not everyone is trying to le bait people.

This said, again, it's largely irrelevant because it's not really the case with Kaze, the show wasn't really particularly homoerotic (No, naked dudes by themselves are not homoerotic, it's just fanservice for the ladies) and shippable until the very late half - if Production I.G wanted le fujoshi's money they completely failed since every person I spoke of that watched the first episodes told me the show felt different from something like Free or YoI (Indeed the relationship between Kakeru and Haiji really never crosses any line until much later, to put it plainly I don't think many people were ready to ship them). The show itself also features a healthy dose of male friendships that don't feature naked dudes running toward each and just feel like... friendships.

I don't know what the author had in mind when he wrote Kaze's ending and changed Kakeru's character, but I certainly can analyze and react to what he showed to me and develop an impression and opinion based on it.
Jin_uzukiAug 20, 2019 11:38 AM

Aug 20, 2019 3:39 PM

Apr 2012
Jin_uzuki said:
RobertBobert said:

Do they? I doubt you have peered into the mind of every author out of here. I'd wager a lot of homoeroticism on Shounen Jump is purely un-intentional, like Haikyū. I'd wager a lot of homoeroticism is also purely intentional and the result of the author trying to get get as much as s/he can while dealing with censorship and editors (Which yes, are a thing). And a lot of it is just authors writings what they like without second-thoughts. Not everyone is trying to le bait people.

This said, again, it's largely irrelevant because it's not really the case with Kaze, the show wasn't really particularly homoerotic (No, naked dudes by themselves are not homoerotic, it's just fanservice for the ladies) and shippable until the very late half - if Production I.G wanted le fujoshi's money they completely failed since every person I spoke of that watched the first episodes told me the show felt different from something like Free or YoI (Indeed the relationship between Kakeru and Haiji really never crosses any line until much later, to put it plainly I don't think many people were ready to ship them). The show itself also features a healthy dose of male friendships that don't feature naked dudes running toward each and just feel like... friendships.

I don't know what the author had in mind when he wrote Kaze's ending and changed Kakeru's character, but I certainly can analyze and react to what he showed to me and develop an impression and opinion based on it.

That is, when you start speculating on the unknown intentions of the authors, these are "possible interpretations", but when I reflect on their intentions, using my knowledge of the language of literature, is it "you are trying to get into the heads of the authors"? Wow, I don’t even know what to say. And do you even read what I'm writing? I spent a lot of time telling you about how shonen / seinen magazine intentionally use BL bait to make money on their popularity among fujoshi (this information can be easily found on the Internet, including interviews of the editors themselves, lol For example - http://www.punkednoodle.com/champloo/2008/01/12/a-history-of-the-fujoshi-love-affair-with-jump/), but again you are starting to tell me about some kind of agnsty struggle between repressed authors and censorship. I also haven’t written to you anywhere that any subtext in shonen is bait, I DIRECTLY wrote to you that subtext as a tool can have different goals that can overlap if it works well.

Attempts to state that it is not any bait, because it doesn't correspond to examples of excessive bait ... I don't even know what to say. With the same logic, I can say that Iron Maiden is not a metal band, because they are not hyper-muscular bikers in leather clothes like Manowar. This is such a cheap sophistry that I can’t even believe that you use it. But this is all empty talk that again distracts you from my simple thought - intent is not equal to the canonicity of qeerness. Above, I have already given you a bunch of examples of when certain subtext or vibes were intentional, but there was nothing but the desire to attract a certain audience or emphasize the power of non-romantic relationships.

Jin_uzuki said:
(Indeed the relationship between Kakeru and Haiji really never crosses any line until much later, to put it plainly I don't think many people were ready to ship them). The show itself also features a healthy dose of male friendships that don't feature naked dudes running toward each and just feel like... friendships.

Hah On the tumblr, already half of the guys were ship with each other, mainly speculative on the principle "these two guys often interact / are good friends, probably they are gay!". Actually, this is one of those reasons when I smile in response to words about the "subtext". The tendency to read any “moments of friendship” or even a simple interaction between characters as “subtext” is another common problem that I don’t even want to talk about.
RobertBobertAug 20, 2019 4:46 PM
Aug 21, 2019 12:49 PM

Apr 2009
RobertBobert said:

Attempts to state that it is not any bait, because it doesn't correspond to examples of excessive bait ... I don't even know what to say.

Bait is a buzzword.

Me every time someone talks me about le bait.

Jin_uzuki said:

Hah On the Tumblr, already half of the guys were ship with each other, mainly speculative on the principle "these two guys often interact / are good friends, probably they are gay!". Actually, this is one of those reasons when I smile in response to words about the "subtext". The tendency to read any “moments of friendship” or even a simple interaction between characters as “subtext” is another common problem that I don’t even want to talk about.

Dumblr thinks everyone is gay and/or trans, so that's irrelevant to me, I followed the show every week and the show was never popular with fujoshi (Both Japanese and Western wymen) until the very late episodes. I can specifically lamenting how hard it was to find fanart before the final episodes. In fact, it seems most people into this were dudes who genuinely enjoyed the sport and character development. There are no real shipping moments in the first 12 episodes, I wasn't watching this for the shipping and I purely developed my opinion based on what I saw.

You can argue with me and disagree on why you feel my interpretation of those scenes is wrong (Just like people who can't decide who Hana likes, some people think it's a twin, some people think it's Kakeru, some people think it's Musa), but I have no interest discussing about LE BAIT CONSPIRACY and also ultimately you can think what you want, so w/ever really.
Jin_uzukiAug 21, 2019 12:55 PM

Aug 21, 2019 1:31 PM

Apr 2012
@Jin_uzuki Bait will remain bait no matter how much effort you put in for populist or political attempts to rationalize it. Seriously, you are starting to resemble yuri fanboys and internet lesbians who come up with lush and beautiful words about LGBTQ representations just to rationalize their fascination with cheap yuri bait shows like Senran Kagura.

I have already told you this several times, so I have to repeat myself. You have the right to believe in anything, it is not my business and I never considered it mine. However, personally, I also not obligated to take on faith all this speculative nonsense and attempts to justify slash shiping through abuse of indirect reasoning and attempts to turn the thread into a political one. Not to mention the fact that it’s fun to hear accusations of paranoia from a person who previously asked me to believe in speculation about some hidden motives of the author.

In any case, as I see it, it begins to become personal and even somehow toxic, so I would rather prefer to end this dialogue. As I understand it, we understood each other as well.

Aug 21, 2019 2:52 PM

Apr 2009
RobertBobert said:
@Jin_uzuki Bait will remain bait no matter

Eh, everything is bait in the end. Even when two characters fuck each other in the ass on screen some people would still claim they are just friends. The author literally has to tell some people for them to actually understand what's happening on screen because some people aren't arguing in good fath so they refuse to interpret a scene correctly (See: Gundam IBO in recent times).

I mean, why bother arguing when you can just drop le baiiiit as an argument lol.

how much effort you put in for populist or political attempts to rationalize it.

lmao what is this? Dude, I keep telling you. I watched an anime. I drew my conclusions based on what the anime staff chose to portray on screen (Just like I did with Hana and the twins, another romantic sub-plot that for some reason isn't called bait despite the lack of confirmation lul? Are you going to tell me I fell for the bait because I think she likes both twins? I mean, according to some people here she likes Haiji??? But fuck, she may not even like anyone in the first place!).

You don't care about that, you are not even looking at the content of the show because you are too focused on the politics in your head and how much you are smarter than those dumb (yaoi) shipper. Yes, I get it, but as I said, I'm here to talk about the actual content of the show. Do you interpreter the final scenes and their relationship romantically or not? OK, but why? No, "let bait" is not an argument, you are not effectively arguing anything, you are just hiding behind your biases.

And ultimately do what you want, I'm just telling you my opinion is shaped by the in-canon text of the show and didn't come out of nowhere. I didn't watch this show for the shipping. I watched the final episodes and reacted accordingly.
Jin_uzukiAug 21, 2019 3:03 PM

Aug 21, 2019 3:35 PM

Apr 2012
@Jin_uzuki So, now you are not even trying to be subtle in your demagoguery, claiming that the proof of your interpretation of the moment is its very existence or that, for some unknown reason, I must prove to you that this is not baiting just because that you want to see any alleged subtext as intentional hidden gays by the author. And like a cherry on the cake, you continue to brazenly ignore all my early arguments and clarifications, obsessively asserting that my whole position boils down to the fact that this is “bait”. Moreover, even when I say once again that you have the right to think what you want, you continue to make this thread personal and screaming that I forbid you to have your own opinion.

Are you such a sensitive snowflake that you cannot calm down when someone disagrees with you and continues to say that your pressure don't convince him of the your interpretation? Oh, then you should have said this at the very beginning, and not spend so much of my time talking with speculative fantasies. Goodbye my dear boy.
RobertBobertAug 21, 2019 4:59 PM
Aug 22, 2019 1:10 PM

Apr 2009
RobertBobert said:
@Jin_uzuki So, now you are not even trying to be subtle in your demagoguery, claiming that the proof of your interpretation of the moment is its very existence or that, for some unknown reason, I must prove to you that this is not baiting just because that you want to see any alleged subtext as intentional hidden gays by the author. And like a cherry on the cake, you continue to brazenly ignore all my early arguments and clarifications, obsessively asserting that my whole position boils down to the fact that this is “bait”. Moreover, even when I say once again that you have the right to think what you want, you continue to make this thread personal and screaming that I forbid you to have your own opinion.

Are you such a sensitive snowflake that you cannot calm down when someone disagrees with you and continues to say that your pressure don't convince him of the your interpretation? Oh, then you should have said this at the very beginning, and not spend so much of my time talking with speculative fantasies. Goodbye my dear boy.

I like the part where you actually discuss the show and its content.

Oh wait, that never happened. See ya!

Aug 22, 2019 4:54 PM

Jul 2016
This last episode was amazing... no, this whole anime was amazing.
I can't say anything that has not been said.
It's been a journey, I did have flaws with the show but this anime has touched me deeply.
I cannot convince myself to give this series anything less than 10...

It was worth every second of my time and easily has one of the most diverse and best-written casts in all of anime.

10/10.
Sep 3, 2019 8:32 PM
Apr 2016
I honestly didn't expect Kakeru to set a new record, that was great. Haiji put everything he had into his final running session, sacrificing everything, it was beautiful.

Great anime, enjoyed it quite a lot (despite the annoying fanservice at some parts).
Sep 8, 2019 6:24 PM

Sep 2018
Haiji makes my heart stop!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so very very happy for them!!!!!! Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I never expect anything in this show.. I didn't know track and field sports anime could be this interesting and makes me nervous all the time. I love the team work, character's growth and all. I'm so happy for them!!! Good ending <3
Sep 12, 2019 11:44 PM

Oct 2017
I can bet that she was in love with the two: Joji and Jota brothers!
Hope to know the resolution in a next season.
I'am gonna miss the main team and of course Haiji-san,
nevertheless if there's a next season of this show
I am certainly sure will be gorgeaus.

10/10 to me.
-¡Give yourself to me!
Sep 28, 2019 7:10 PM

May 2017
Hands down the best sport anime i've ever watch! All the character are likeable (except the redhaired char & his group), the show was enjoyable & heartwarming yet it put me on my edge while watching the running, trully great show! Wish more sport anime like this!
Sep 29, 2019 6:58 AM

Mar 2015
Wow they made it into the top ten seeds! It finished awesomely overall!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 24, 2019 12:33 AM

Jul 2016
Its a fine conclusion. 6/10

Oct 25, 2019 4:17 AM
Aug 2011
Glad I finally got around to finishing this. Production I.G knocks another one out of the park. This is why I usually have a harder time watching new sports anime from any other studio except for maybe Madhouse.

The creaky hinge sound from his knee made me shudder. The sound direction in this anime has always surprised me and while the art wasn't always top-tier all the way through it still had some incredible visuals from time to time.

I recall the first half had some frustrating moments but these characters had such brilliant moments here in the second half, especially this race.
Even though there was a couple of cocky "rivals" in the other teams it's so refreshing to not have a team full of assholes being assholes. Now i'm thinking about series like Kuroko where you have nothing but endless douchebags in the opposing teams. That kind of typical shounen formula is so damn tiring. This manages to break away from that by being more character driven. I said it before but it's good stuff.

Edit: I also love the 'complete' story from this. Too many sport adaptations string us along for a long time because the damn manga never finish publishing, and then I usually lose interest. YowaPedal for example was one of those for me.
standOct 25, 2019 4:29 AM
Nov 2, 2019 10:14 PM

Jun 2011
Speechless. This is one of the best anime I've watched. Holy smokes. I never expected to feel so much emotions while watching a sports anime other than Haikyuu. Great adaptation again from Production IG.
Nov 9, 2019 12:09 PM

Jun 2011
Wow.. just wow, amazing finish to the series, no pun intended! I am so glad that the injury didn't deter Haiji from completing the course, that'd be so unnecessarily dramatic and that's not the point of the series. Haiji is truly my favorite character from this series, so mature, have gone through so much and yet still lead and inspire people around him. Fujioka is also really amazing, having a rival for Kakeru that's actually a good guy and actually have a leader quality as well as being mature and not arrogant is fantastic.. and he's such a great friend for Haiji.

Kakeru has grown a lot throughout the series, he's so chill in this episode you'd never have thought he's such a recluse guy. Everyone else developed as well and it's a beautiful sight. What a beautiful bromances.

Though I also didn't like how everyone somehow got something to overcome in this race lol it gave the impression that it's rushed and fairly unrealistic. Sugiyama doesn't have any drama going for him? Well let's just make him sick asf, so he somehow has something to overcome within himself in this race..

Also another part that could use some improvement is the characters. As much as I like them, they're more quirky than enjoyable.. not sure if that make sense but I don't particularly like any of the Kansei guys individually, they actually don't stand out that much to me, giving them more individualistic would be great.. not sure if I make sense right now lol

not too fond of Hana liking any of the twins too tbh I ship her with Haiji / Kakeru more

Anyway great show, and the show actually ends damn it's been a long time since I've actually seen a fully completed series.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 21, 2019 4:17 AM

Mar 2017
Haiji breaking his legs also broke my heart
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2019

84 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 2:52 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2019

66 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 22, 2019

93 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 2:24 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2019

68 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 1:53 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2018

95 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 1:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.