Forum Settings
Forums

At what point does a PTW list become too big?

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Post New Reply
Mar 26, 11:01 AM

my golden number for ptw max length is exactly 100

Mar 26, 11:02 AM
thot patrol

when it's longer than my completed list
aka rn

Mar 26, 11:06 AM

It really depends on what you use your PTW list for.
I use it for a lose longterm planning and not an "I am going to watch this next list". There are so many intresting shows or shows which pop up from a specific perspective, I would forget them if don't add them. In a way I save the information I gained from reading forum discussions and recomendation threads and browsing MAL.
I still try to make them not too big: my current definition is that PTW list should not be longer then 1-2x of the watched list size.

Mar 26, 11:07 AM

My personal PTW list contains the series I really want to watch including OVA, movie(s), and specials if any. Yeah, I'm a completionist person and never drop any anime. Sometimes I add anime randomly when I think they're pretty decent to watch … and also the upcoming anime. I remove anime from my PTW list if the rating low when the upcoming anime that I've planned to watch finished airing.

Your PTW list is too big when it reaches more than 100 anime IMO

I want to watch all of anime in my PTW list (1000+), haha, but my job doesn't allow me : P
Modified by Dark_Weebs, Mar 26, 11:16 AM

SMUG 乙へず

Mar 26, 11:10 AM
I think if you have 100+ plan to watch animes. You should do something about it in that case, which I am doing right now. Clearing my plan to watch and watching list is important

Mar 26, 11:16 AM
This conversation describes my complete list. Go and see with your own eyes. WARNING: Plan to watch also has exactly 760 anime but there are only 91 anime at completed :D

Mar 26, 11:22 AM

My PTW is quite huge, and I never get to clean it up even a little bit. I do have a rule to not have over 400 anime in that section though because I already have stuff to watch there and filling it more is just dumb, imo.
I wish I had the ability to binge-watch lol, it's difficult for me.

But I do find it useful to have so many titles in there for challenges, it comes in handy.

⋆ ★ ⋆

Don't just sit there and
waste your precious time.
When you want to do something,
do it right away. Do it when you can.
It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Mar 26, 11:26 AM

The bigger it is the better, as far as I'm concerned. It just means I won't get bored anytime soon.
"Should I be concerned over the obvious delight our daughter takes in the ultra-violence?"
"It's genetic"
-Red Arrow to Cheshire (Young Justice)

Mar 26, 11:27 AM

Never, ptw lists are like a black hole for anime.
Go read the One Punch Man manga please, this awful adaptation by JC Staff is a disgrace.

Mar 26, 11:49 AM

When you don't know what to watch next and worse than that you don't know what that anime is

Mar 26, 11:57 AM

I think it has less to do with size than rate of growth.

If you consistently add more shows to your PTW list over the course of say, a couple of years than you watch, you will almost certainly never get the time to watch everything on your PTW list. This is before adding in your 'on-holds', obviously.

It's also a question of what exactly the purpose of your PTW list actually is. If you just like having a large pool of shows to ready to choose from, having a large PTW list isn't really a problem.
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider

Mar 26, 12:23 PM
Grim Anime Fan

my completed are 2k+
my PTW are 1k+

dunno?

Mar 26, 12:33 PM

My PTW list doesn't really contain shows that I need to watch at that moment. It's more of a list of anime I don't wish to forget about, as I might want to watch them later.

Mar 26, 12:33 PM

You know, i don't think that it can get too big! I put stuff on my PTW if it is related in anyway to something that seems neat to enjoy. Art style, setting, production companies, directors, etc....If i can look at the MAL page for it and it seem like its worth my time at any point, I'll throw it up there. And now I look at it as a slightly more refined database from the anime catalog at large. Its a representation of what i would hope to get out of an anime. Won't know about it until i try it out.

Mar 26, 12:34 PM

I get the part about PTW list being there so you don't forget animes that look interesting. I do the same thing but if I think my PTW list is getting kind of large then I just stop looking for things I might be interested in so I don't grow the list too much. My PTW list is absolutely laughable compared to some of yours though because I was worried that having 10 entries was starting to get too big lol.

Mar 26, 12:38 PM

My PTW used to be almost 900, if I recall correctly. I did a huge cleaning at the end of last year and deleted a lot of stuff I was no longer interested in watching, sequels of stuff I hadn't completed the prequels for, etc.

It's still around 350, but I'm fine with that. I like to add stuff in there that catches my interest for whatever reason. Doesn't necessarily mean that I will watch them all, but it's a reminder for me that the series exists (I'm terrible at remembering names and details). Periodically I go through the list and remove stuff that I probably won't watch.

Mar 26, 12:43 PM

well my ptw is 400+ rn LOL i dunno if i should start cleaning it or just like leave there yknow. maybe i should do a cleanup of my ptw.. oof

Mar 26, 12:47 PM
It becomes too big at the moment that it stops being useful to you. This can be at 10.000 entries or maybe at 3.000 depending on how you use the list. If you are someone who assumes that they make a commitment to their plan-to-watch-list, then possibly at 50 titles.

I don't believe that I will watch all of the titles of my plan-to-watch-list, but it is a tool that helps me to take note of potentially compelling titles. Sometimes I use it to organise what I want to watch next. I frequently pick titles that amount to about 90 minutes and watch them in the company of friends.

Mar 26, 12:54 PM
Too big for what? It's never too big if you just want to keep track of anything that interests you.

It can only be 'too big' if you have some kind of deadline set after which you will never watch anime again and you want to be done with all the anime on your ptw list until then or something like that.

Listen, everybody wants change, don't nobody want to change though
don't nobody want to pray, till they got something to pray for
now everybody's gonna die, but don't everybody live though

Mar 26, 12:59 PM

Mines is almost at 200..Is that too big? Maybe.

Mar 26, 1:04 PM

Pullman said:
Too big for what? It's never too big if you just want to keep track of anything that interests you.

It can only be 'too big' if you have some kind of deadline set after which you will never watch anime again and you want to be done with all the anime on your ptw list until then or something like that.

I guess I was thinking that it would become difficult to choose the next one if you have a really big list or you might have a list so big that you completely forget about certain shows and the concept behind them.

Mar 26, 1:16 PM
Ryuk9428 said:
Pullman said:

I guess I was thinking that it would become difficult to choose the next one if you have a really big list or you might have a list so big that you completely forget about certain shows and the concept behind them.

Idk, the list is there so it doesn't matter if you forget. It'll still be there and if you scroll through it it'll remind you of stuff. I use it so I don't have to remember everything that picked my interest at any point.

As for it being difficult to choose, I guess that can happen to people but I think that is less about size and more about how people approach the PTW. I never have this problem because I always have a bunch of titles I'm interested in for the near future and I rarely even need to look at my PTW, I just don't run out of stuff I want to watch. I download it in advance and then just pick from what I have downloaded, but I mostly either already vaguely know what I'll watch next or just decide on a whim whenever I feel like it. I only really consult my PTW when I'm looking for movies to simulwatch, but basically never for TV Series since I already know which ones I'll want to watch without looking, and I rarely run out of them.

On the other hand I've talked to countless people who seem to be completely overwhelmed by the decision even if they only have 15 or 20 titles on their PTW, making threads asking for help with picking and talking about how they just spend hours in front of their PTW not being able to make any decision. If you're like that, 10, 100 or 1000 titles on your PTW probably don't make much of a difference. The only way these kind of people can pick seems to be via random number generators anyway ^^.

Listen, everybody wants change, don't nobody want to change though
don't nobody want to pray, till they got something to pray for
now everybody's gonna die, but don't everybody live though

Mar 26, 1:23 PM

Ah my PTW is only for upcoming anime (mostly sequels)

Mar 26, 1:27 PM

Never.

30charactersincurrentyear

Mar 26, 2:09 PM

Never basically.
At least I won't forget stuff that once piqued my interest for w/e reason since it's all in there.

I often get lost wondering what to watch next in it, but I don't really mind . Grab something that seems to suit my current mood/what I feel like watching and I'm ready to go. It's much better than blindly roaming the database.
These days, when this happens, I select a handful of show that caught my attention and they'll be what I watch next, then figure out how to fit those in the yearly challenge. .

Mar 26, 2:46 PM

I've got a bunch because I don't have the time to just sit around watching anime all day. I've gotten as far as I have over 12 years of watching anime, and a long plan to watch list just means I'll always have something to watch. I kind of like it that way.
Nothing triggers a Rem fan like explaining how Emilia is better in every way

Mar 26, 8:40 PM

HUZZAH! at no point! .. but of course I have a "tl;dr" post to justify that. I have been watching anime for quite a long time, and in spite of being a fan of the format for decades, I had only watched maybe 40 shows by the time the time I was 25. Not a very high number at all considering FICTION FABLES are my most favorite of past times. Books, comics, manga, anime, other cartoons, movies, and games, if its got a good story, then I will probably adore it. I like to "play outside" as well, but for me nothing beats exercising the imagination by falling in love with a lie.

Anime is probably my favorite format of modern story telling. There are so many varieties and they keep producing more and more every year, its become like an expanding universe I know I will never see the end of. SO, if I love it so much, how come I had only viewed 40 shows in two decades? Well I didn't have high speed internet for the first decade, and was at the mercy of cartoon network and miscellaneous video stores. Then after Al Gore's blessing of connectivity, I became intimidated by the variety. Finding the right shows to watch went from being like shopping in a small store with a limited inventory, to being lost in an endless big box warehouse mall. The plethora of choices can be great, but it can also increase your indecisiveness. This affect is worsened if you have ever been burned by a bad show or just have limited free time. You can sometimes find yourself caught in tragic little loops of WASTING a few hours trying to decide how to INVEST a few hours in entertainment. The best way to avoid that cycle is to make lists. List making is a simple organization system and it works. We do it when we go shopping, we do it when take on multi tiered tasks, we do it to designate preference... we are always making lists.

SO HERE COMES MAL,

A website that offers images, comparisons, peer reviews, summaries, and a personal profile complete with the namesake listing features. While your completed list can serve as a pseudo trophy of viewership, it kind of means
to me. My plan to watch list IS my MAL experience. My reason for being on this website. My PTW has been built from efforts like: mass clicking in genre groups that I like, or receiving peer to peer recommendations, site recommendations, and other miscellaneous contributing factors. Remember when I labeled the Anime format as a constantly expanding universe, my PLAN TO WATCH LIST is my navigation system. At the most I've had close to 400 different pieces of media on there, and I've knocked around 60 off in just 6 months. I am not devoting any more or less free time to Anime, I am just a lot more organized. WHILE I ADMIT, larger lists can recreate the issues of "to many to chose from"; I still look at it as narrowing it down. I am limiting my choices from an unknown variety of a few thousand to a few hundred that have a higher chance that I will actually enjoy them. Do I plan to watch all the shows on my PTW?... right now yea. As long as I continue to enjoy anime, I will keep placing items of interest on that list. My drop rate is non existent. Not because I am a completionist, but because I do put consideration into the things that go on my PTW list. I am also terribly forgetful so if I see something I am interested in, the faithful ptw will keep it safe for me.

10?.. I have around 10 shows from the upcoming season on there, and they will all jump over to watching soon. I'd run out and be caught in the haze of searching, at just 10. Don't get me wrong either, I only watch anime on average an hour or two everyday. So how have I watched around 60 in six months? In all things, a good list increases productivity no matter the size.

Also, this entire post could have been:

The issue of being too big is really subjective to the individual. A big list is fine as long as you are actually planning to watch them, just throwing items on there with out any consideration robs you a valuable organization tool. Whether its 10 or 1000, as long as its helping you stay entertained it doesn't really matter...

But Grizzziff Kingsbeard is a free time thief. I will never give you that 5 minutes back. Ever. XoXo

Mar 26, 8:45 PM

I literally have anime downloaded, churned thru handbrake and locked and loaded to watch.

They are not on mal ptw list though, I only add completed.

Mar 26, 9:21 PM

Grizzziff said:
HUZZAH! at no point! .. but of course I have a "tl;dr" post to justify that. I have been watching anime for quite a long time, and in spite of being a fan of the format for decades, I had only watched maybe 40 shows by the time the time I was 25. Not a very high number at all considering FICTION FABLES are my most favorite of past times. Books, comics, manga, anime, other cartoons, movies, and games, if its got a good story, then I will probably adore it. I like to "play outside" as well, but for me nothing beats exercising the imagination by falling in love with a lie.

Anime is probably my favorite format of modern story telling. There are so many varieties and they keep producing more and more every year, its become like an expanding universe I know I will never see the end of. SO, if I love it so much, how come I had only viewed 40 shows in two decades? Well I didn't have high speed internet for the first decade, and was at the mercy of cartoon network and miscellaneous video stores. Then after Al Gore's blessing of connectivity, I became intimidated by the variety. Finding the right shows to watch went from being like shopping in a small store with a limited inventory, to being lost in an endless big box warehouse mall. The plethora of choices can be great, but it can also increase your indecisiveness. This affect is worsened if you have ever been burned by a bad show or just have limited free time. You can sometimes find yourself caught in tragic little loops of WASTING a few hours trying to decide how to INVEST a few hours in entertainment. The best way to avoid that cycle is to make lists. List making is a simple organization system and it works. We do it when we go shopping, we do it when take on multi tiered tasks, we do it to designate preference... we are always making lists.

SO HERE COMES MAL,

A website that offers images, comparisons, peer reviews, summaries, and a personal profile complete with the namesake listing features. While your completed list can serve as a pseudo trophy of viewership, it kind of means
to me. My plan to watch list IS my MAL experience. My reason for being on this website. My PTW has been built from efforts like: mass clicking in genre groups that I like, or receiving peer to peer recommendations, site recommendations, and other miscellaneous contributing factors. Remember when I labeled the Anime format as a constantly expanding universe, my PLAN TO WATCH LIST is my navigation system. At the most I've had close to 400 different pieces of media on there, and I've knocked around 60 off in just 6 months. I am not devoting any more or less free time to Anime, I am just a lot more organized. WHILE I ADMIT, larger lists can recreate the issues of "to many to chose from"; I still look at it as narrowing it down. I am limiting my choices from an unknown variety of a few thousand to a few hundred that have a higher chance that I will actually enjoy them. Do I plan to watch all the shows on my PTW?... right now yea. As long as I continue to enjoy anime, I will keep placing items of interest on that list. My drop rate is non existent. Not because I am a completionist, but because I do put consideration into the things that go on my PTW list. I am also terribly forgetful so if I see something I am interested in, the faithful ptw will keep it safe for me.

10?.. I have around 10 shows from the upcoming season on there, and they will all jump over to watching soon. I'd run out and be caught in the haze of searching, at just 10. Don't get me wrong either, I only watch anime on average an hour or two everyday. So how have I watched around 60 in six months? In all things, a good list increases productivity no matter the size.

Also, this entire post could have been:

The issue of being too big is really subjective to the individual. A big list is fine as long as you are actually planning to watch them, just throwing items on there with out any consideration robs you a valuable organization tool. Whether its 10 or 1000, as long as its helping you stay entertained it doesn't really matter...

But Grizzziff Kingsbeard is a free time thief. I will never give you that 5 minutes back. Ever. XoXo

I love the list format as well, I am kind of obsessive about organizing things. Its just my personality so the way MAL is setup works great for me. I do think the PTW list is very helpful of course and I think mine looks slightly smaller just because I don't add sequel seasons to it, its just kind of implied in my head I guess that I'll watch it so I mostly add things to the PTW list that are completely different. I know ultimately its subjective, but I guess I was just thinking that I could get the perspective of somebody who might have a similar way of organizing their anime so that I could relate to them specifically and know at which point the list would become too big for me personally to manage.

Mar 27, 7:04 AM

AshitaNoJonas said:
My PTW is more like a bookmark feature to me, so I won't forget that some anime exist, even if I never get around watching it.

Yeah, it's kind of like that for me. That's why I don't plan on cleaning up my list, because I put them on my list after doing some searching and found I'm interested. I don't want to forget and someday search for it again.

Mar 27, 7:09 AM

my ptw is just for the purpose of keeping track of stuff so i dont forget it, not necessarily watch it, my on hold list is used for stuff I actually want to watch

Mar 27, 7:20 AM
Sanji Fangirl

My PTW got so out of hand a couple of years ago, that i had to stop using the PTW list and just make my own document to keep track.

Mar 27, 8:00 AM

Mar 27, 10:34 AM

I think its less of a solid number and more of proportion?
I think my PTW is getting too large cause its around 1/3 the size of my completed, despite it only being 26 entries.
Meanwhile my friend has over 300 PTWs but like, 200 something completeds. 300 is prolly too much anyway, but however, if someone has like 100+ PTWs but an ungodly amount of completeds, I think that its completely fine.
(maybe once it starts hitting 1 PTW for every 3 completed series, then)

Mar 27, 10:49 AM

Ryuk9428 said:
I see a lot of people here who have gigantic PTW lists with dozens to a couple hundred animes. I think my PTW list is pretty manageable. But at what number do you think the PTW list gets a little unmanageable and difficult to choose from? For me I want to keep my PTW list very literal. Like every anime on there I really do PTW so if it got to be big enough that I might not watch everything on there I'd consider it to be too big.
It depends how much time you have. I generally try not to go beyond 5 movies and 5 series

Mar 27, 10:58 AM

Over 250 is too many.
Why in the hundreds? Well, it gives me a wide variety of anime to choose from. Not like theres any harm in it. Besides, I have a system that organizes my PTW for me

Mar 27, 5:10 PM

My list previously got to a point where there were over 1000 entries in the PTW section, so I had to force myself to do a huge clean-up until I reached around 300-500. It was mostly due to the fact that I'd added anything that I'd seen even just a glimpse of and wanted to watch every single anime out there, but when I realised that would be impossible at the rate I go at, I deleted everything I barely had an interest in and things that seemed generic and trashy. I'd say it only becomes unmanageable when you become overwhelmed by the sheer amount of shows there that you're dreading to watch or know you won't like in comparison to things that genuinely interest you.
To see which challenges I'm participating in, please check the 'Active Challenges' section of my profile.

Mar 27, 5:16 PM
I currently have 666 on my PTW list (with 990 completed). If I wanted to I could cut out a couple hundred of them but my time would be better spent by watching the shows. For the longest time it hovered around 700, but ever since I started watching much fewer airing anime (~5 as opposed to 20+) I've been able to get it to start going down.

As it concerns keeping track of priority shows, it's not very useful being the size that it is, so I have an excel file in which I've organized the next two hundred or so anime I plan on watching, with about half being in a set order; this way I don't have to figure out what to watch next every time I finish a show.

Mar 27, 5:18 PM

I had 1000 at the beginning of the month. Way too much.

Moved them too an alt and deleted them. Much better.

Mar 27, 5:47 PM

My PTW list is a mess but I'm working on fixing it. I miscalculated how long it would take to watch shows so I had at one time almost 600, maybe more, in my PTW list. I'm down to under 500, but I think having less than 200 is somewhat reasonable.
At least now I don't feel bad about dropping or just deleting a show off my list.

Check out my Anime Blog on Instagram.
I post recommendations, short reviews, character albums, and other stuff.

Mar 27, 6:19 PM

I used to have around 600 or so. Cut it down to under 400, as I had some in there that I was interested in 5 years ago, but I no longer am. I currently have a thing where I can't add more than 400 to my list, so I can actually manage it still. I am hoping by the end of the year, I can shrink that down to around no more than 250.

In general, I'd say no more than 200 if you have any other commitments, hobbies, etc. This is because at that point, you start not having time to finish these and they will just sit there. Of course, it depends on the size of the shows on your list as well. I have several that will legit take me a month to finish the whole thing.
The Sadistic God
"Deriving in pleasure from Extreme Cruelty"

Mar 27, 6:40 PM

It depends on the speed rate which you finish new series. You should add a ptw at the same time you finish one show. Of course you can start with 10-25 ptw.

Mar 27, 6:41 PM
My PTW list is pretty much everything I own and a couple seasonals that I am interested in streaming.

Mar 27, 7:40 PM

The PTW list becomes to big the moment it starts existing. So when the parent procreates.

Mar 27, 8:08 PM

I full well intend to watch it all at some point.

Mar 27, 8:13 PM

My PTW has been over 350 for a decent amount of time now. I doubt I'll ever get through all of the things on there, considering I watch maybe one non-airing show a month lol

Mar 27, 8:22 PM

At the point when you look at it and think "Man, there's no way i can watch all this in my lifetime".

Mar 27, 8:30 PM

I've brought my ptw down to 131 but ideally I think it should be under 100. Too many anime in the ptw means that the time this plan is stretched over increases with every new title. If we assume you normally watch 6 episodes per day and we assume the average anime length is 15 episodes then after 146 entries we're looking at a full year to complete the list. If you have 1000 anime in your ptw that would be 7 years of anime watching and by then your taste may have changed enough that the anime you put on originally no longer appeal to you.

Mar 27, 9:11 PM

I have about 230 anime in my PTW but about half of them haven't aired yet. I mainly use it as a way to remember all the shows that catch my eye, but when I add a series I add all entries from it so I don't miss something when I watch it. That makes it a bit more swollen then it should be. In terms of actual series its only about 50-60 i think but i haven't counted in a while. When I decide I want to watch a show from my PTW I usually move it to ON HOLD, which I use for shows that I'm about to watch, and shows which I am currently watching but are released sporadically, like OVAs.
whats a signature

Mar 28, 6:54 AM
currently mine is 60+ and I feel that a little to big but with seasonal anime and school I have to find time for them.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »