Forum Settings
Forums
New
Yay or nay for utilitarianism
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 27, 2019 3:49 AM

Nov 2016
katsucats said:
I don't see what you think is being "forced" through utilitarianism that doesn't apply to any other moral theory that anyone comes up with -- if all moral good is considered to be morally obligatory. Nor do I see how utilitarianism prevents guilt. A person should feel guilty if he knowingly committed an action that did not maximize utility out of the options that were available to him at the time. Nor do I see how you would think that utilitarianism has too many factors to consider. No moral theory presumes that all human beings will be maximally moral at all time. Utilitarianism merely prescribes what would be maximally moral. By the definition of morality, people should strive towards moral good. This is not exclusive to utilitarianism, but applies to all moral theory. Utilitarianism does not demand that we are able to achieve the maximally good action in any incident, it only suggests what the maximally good action should be, the conditions that it would have to satisfy.

For example, you can apply every single criticism to Kant. Would you have to work out a logical puzzle in your mind of what action constitutes a categorical imperative, such that the world is still good even if everyone commits that action in that situation? Does Kantian deontology "force" you to make the correct determination to follow through on all your duties and obligations to every single possible body? Does your moral action cause anyone to be ignorant of all relevant factors, and put them in an unfair disadvantage? Does it prevent guilt (e.g. I didn't lie to the Nazi secret police, therefore I'm not responsible for the death of 100 Jews)?

You are absolutely right, hence my mentioning that we keep encountering these problems in all these ideas in the last sentence of my previous post. What I meant by doing away with guilt is the scenario posited in 'The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas'; you can only be happy in the utilitarian decision to ignore the suffering of the poor kid if you do away with your guilt of being happy in that situation. That is what I meant by saying that our hardware is not designed for this particular software or any that we've created so far. All the moral theories we've come up with so far run into this dead end: They are not practicable. And that is where the discussion has to go on.
Apr 6, 2019 3:27 PM

Mar 2016
loling at the sociopaths in this thread.
Apr 6, 2019 4:23 PM

Mar 2017
syncrogazer said:
loling at the sociopaths in this thread.

Which ones are the sociopaths to you? I forgot all about this I might have to read the last 20 posts or whatever
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » JAPAN?

BaronLukis - Apr 17

22 by mentalmondai »»
3 minutes ago

» Is this forum dead? It seems like it.

DesuMaiden - Apr 17

45 by Sad »»
6 minutes ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

28 by Sad »»
11 minutes ago

» What hobbies, skills, or common views do you wish a significant other had?

IpreferEcchi - 5 hours ago

6 by DesuMaiden »»
34 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - 9 hours ago

23 by DesuMaiden »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.