Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 23, 2019 12:23 PM

Jul 2016
Do you feel like they're portrayed in an immature way?

In an anime I completed recently, a female character attempted suicide and her attitude for being saved was SHUT UP YOU HAVE NO SAY IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN THROUGH IT LEAVE ME ALONE.

That's a selfish, immature attitude, especially since the entire anime she's been in love with him.
Mar 23, 2019 12:25 PM

Jul 2016
I know of Shinji Ikari and imo his character is amazing
Mar 23, 2019 12:28 PM

Dec 2013
Hmm, I don't remember seeing that many suicidal characters in anime... The first one that comes to my mind is that one character in Tsubasa (especially in the manga)... Oh, and in the PS1 game
so does that count? I wouldn't call it exactly immature though.
Mar 23, 2019 12:33 PM
Mar 2016
Doki doki literate club (v game)
The empty box and zeroth (ln)

And i remember this https://myanimelist.net/manga/82295/Fukushuu_Kyoushitsu
Mar 23, 2019 12:38 PM

Oct 2018
If a character is suicidal the creator is trying to portray a person that is severely depressed or has serious mental health issues, in what way is that character immature?

The ones I can think of are Shinji from Evangelion, and Shouko & Shouya from A Silent Voice. All 3 of them experienced trauma as children and were depressed/suicidal because of it, poor mental health does not equal immaturity.
Mar 23, 2019 12:42 PM

Jul 2016
Gr8HornedOwl said:
If a character is suicidal the creator is trying to portray a person that is severely depressed or has serious mental health issues, in what way is that character immature?

It was sprung on the viewer in the very last episode. The entire rest of the anime, she wasn't. The rest of the anime, she was grateful for the company of the one she loves.
Mar 23, 2019 12:44 PM

Aug 2013
IpreferEcchi said:

In an anime I completed recently, a female character attempted suicide and her attitude for being saved was SHUT UP YOU HAVE NO SAY IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN THROUGH IT LEAVE ME ALONE.

That's a selfish, immature attitude, especially since the entire anime she's been in love with him.

...I mean, suicide is the ultimate demonstration of selfishness, so that kinda makes sense. Maybe not the best portrayal of it since it does sound immature, but I can picture that kind of response to it. Depends on how the whole story was handled up to that moment and if that was a response the character would give, though.

That said, I don't think I came across a lot of suicide attempts or attitude in anime. The only one I can remember of was Welcome to the NHK, and though kinda overdramatic it was pretty believable. Also, I remember thinking the suicide attempt in
was pretty weird and out of nowhere, but it's been years since I've read it.
Mar 23, 2019 12:45 PM
Jul 2018
This is probably slightly off topic, but how can you say suicide is a selfish thing to do? Sure, it affects and hurts people around you, but isn't it selfish of them to blackmail you into living - especially in cases when your suffering is inevitable, e. g. due to incurable sickness?
Also, by this definition, isn't it selfish to have kids? I've talked to people who would've preferred it were they never born, but hey, no one asked them, so they're here.

Suicides are nasty, nasty things, but the victim shouldn't be stamped selfish. Ever. Or weak, for that matter; it's not easy to overcome the instinctual will to survive.
Mar 23, 2019 12:50 PM
Jan 2012
Before everyone potentially misunderstands your point, are you saying actually having a suicidal person in an anime is odd in some way, or just that suicidal characters in anime have been mishandled, and poorly executed? It looks like the latter, which I'd agree with for the most part.

People with suicidal tendencies all come with an assortment of personalities, yet most suicidal characters from an anime come off as the same.

Though I don't really agree on your example
Mar 23, 2019 12:50 PM
Feb 2014
In Bungou Stray Dogs suicide is used for comedy, as a character has a obsession with constantly trying to commit suicide and it's played for laughs as the attempts always fail in a humorous way and he's always saved by someone or something.

I personally don't mind it but maybe because i can't relate to it, but i'm sure others would be offended by it's portrayal, maybe that's one of the reasons the first season get's lower ratings or is even dropped from what i noticed.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Mar 23, 2019 12:51 PM

Oct 2018
IpreferEcchi said:
Gr8HornedOwl said:

It was sprung on the viewer in the very last episode. The entire rest of the anime, she wasn't. The rest of the anime, she was grateful for the company of the one she loves.

I don't know the anime you are referring to so i will plead ignorance. But sometimes the people who are most depressed are really really good at hiding it and putting on act around others, so it sounds realistic to me.
Mar 23, 2019 12:53 PM
Jul 2018
And to the topic; I agree Death Parade handled the suicide topic very well and I'm glad it made the characters envolved regret their decision.
On the other hand, Bungou Stray Dogs treated it rather disrespectfully, having a character who kept trying to commit suicide for no obvious reason other than comedic effect. I watched only the first two episodes so maybe there was some reason in the end, but regardless, it was still kind of painful to watch.
And since Dauphine preceeded me with her post - the suicide attempts were not the reason I dropped the Dogs, I dropped it because it was plain boring as a whole. xD
Mar 23, 2019 12:56 PM

Jul 2017
Gr8HornedOwl said:
IpreferEcchi said:

I don't know the anime you are referring to so i will plead ignorance. But sometimes the people who are most depressed are really really good at hiding it and putting on act around others, so it sounds realistic to me.

Sounds like Myself;Yourself. And if it was, then idk if that can be considered a selfish attitude. That reply came after he told her something like "you should never resort to suicide" which prompted that response. Plus she had some pretty tragic events beforehand that occurred which at the time she didn't know that MC knew
Mar 23, 2019 12:56 PM

Jul 2016
Gr8HornedOwl said:
IpreferEcchi said:

It's still really fucking selfish. You can't have it both ways.

If you'd rather die, you don't truly care about and love that person.

(They're engaged at the end, also.)

So it was really stupid.

Short_Circut said:
Sounds like Myself;Yourself. And if it was, then idk if that can be considered a selfish attitude. That reply came after he told her something like "you should never resort to suicide" which prompted that response

No, there was no prior interaction with him that spurred it. She just suddenly decided it after wanting to be left alone for a few days when she regained her memories. He told her that AFTER.

It's very selfish because she wanted and needed his support the whole anime.
IpreferEcchiMar 23, 2019 1:01 PM
Mar 23, 2019 1:06 PM

Oct 2018
Yeah I don't quite understand how a character/person could go that far if they are lucky enough to have a close relationship like that in their life, but I could understand it if they are alone and depressed. But this is a touchy subject so I'll leave it at that.
Mar 23, 2019 1:14 PM
Feb 2014
pometlo said:
And to the topic; I agree Death Parade handled the suicide topic very well and I'm glad it made the characters envolved regret their decision.
On the other hand, Bungou Stray Dogs treated it rather disrespectfully, having a character who kept trying to commit suicide for no obvious reason other than comedic effect. I watched only the first two episodes so maybe there was some reason in the end, but regardless, it was still kind of painful to watch.
And since Dauphine preceeded me with her post - the suicide attempts were not the reason I dropped the Dogs, I dropped it because it was plain boring as a whole. xD

Really? Then we must have different taste because i was hooked from the first episode haha.

As of right now(second season) We don't know the actual reason why he's trying to commit suicide all the time, i want to know more about him soo badly though, hope they reveal more in the third season!!
DauphineMar 23, 2019 1:19 PM
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Mar 23, 2019 1:16 PM
Jul 2017
I think most shows just handle it as tool they can use when ever they want to throw in some drama (or comedy depending on the situation) and don't actually touch on the issue. For most shows that's fine though if the show doesn't actually have much to do with suicide. I can see how people would get offended but the topic isn't completely ignored if you know where to look. Koe no Katachi did a great job with it, for example, so its not that its not addressed well its just that most anime aren't going to deal with heavy hitting topics as much.
Mar 23, 2019 1:50 PM

Jan 2017
Depends on how the character is portrayed, I guess.
I haven't seen the anime you're referring to, so I can't really say.
But the suicidal characters that I've come across were handled pretty maturely imo.

Mar 23, 2019 2:37 PM
May 2015
The Japanese attitude to suicide is "it's your own life, so sort it out yourself." The idea is that if you can't keep it together then you might as well end it.

And as Japanese take privacy or intimacy seriously, letting someone in to share your problems is a serious matter that only a few people get the privilege to have. Sometimes you can't find that person, or you do but they're not around when you need them.

IMO it's not a good attitude. People shouldn't be ashamed of seeking it, nor should they reject those who need it.

Mar 23, 2019 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
Dauphine said:
pometlo said:

Really? Then we must have different taste because i was hooked from the first episode haha.

As of right now(second season) We don't know the actual reason why he's trying to commit suicide all the time, i want to know more about him soo badly though, hope they reveal more in the third season!!

Yeah, I really wanted to like the show, the art's gorgeous and the topic looks exactly like something I'd usually enjoy, but somehow we didn't click. Oh, please do try to remember to tell us if there's revealed something regarding Dazai's motives in the third season! :D It'd be nice to know.
Mar 23, 2019 3:14 PM

Apr 2010
I only know two many of them:

Osamu Dazai (Bungou Stray Dogs), like most of his character, yes it's immature. Though, it is seen that some years later he was much more depressed, and even stated he has no point in life. At the time he still his immature parts, but he was much more serious. I guess he's going on with that to prove something to himself? Maybe he never got a real meaning to his life? But yeah... I'd say it's not the best way to portray it.

Kekura Naruse (Orange): Though it's not major depression (as he still goes to school), he is sure depressed, and I totally think it's acceptable.

Mar 23, 2019 6:28 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I wished BSD did a better job at protraying Dazai’s suicidal tendencies. How is he the best male character in the series when he treats suicide as a laughing matter?

Mar 23, 2019 6:45 PM

Oct 2012
IpreferEcchi said:

Selfish. That single word justifies every attitude of a suicidal, even though I haven't seen the show in question. Overwhelmingly, it's people who comment on suicidals who are selfish and immature, so selfish that their rationale for judging a suicidal is how the suicide affects themselves, and how much the funeral will cost.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 24, 2019 6:59 AM

Sep 2017
What is your idea of a good suicidal character? Someone who are easily saved by words like "don't be so pessimistic", "tomorrow is gonna be a better day", "think of your family", "don't be so selfish", "don't make me sad"?

Sorry if I get you wrong. I mean I agree that anime generally have a really superficial portrayal of suicidal people because the society is generally not empathetic towards them.

If you're really interested in suicidal characters that's examined in great psychological and/or philosophical depth, I think a better place to turn to is literature.

Examples: Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood, Yukio Mishima's The Temple of the Golden Pavilion, Osamu Dazai's No Longer Human, Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar, Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway, Dostoevsky's Notes from Underground
Mar 24, 2019 8:04 AM
Jul 2018
CHC said:
What is your idea of a good suicidal character? Someone who are easily saved by words like "don't be so pessimistic", "tomorrow is gonna be a better day", "think of your family", "don't be so selfish", "don't make me sad"?

Sorry if I get you wrong. I mean I agree that anime generally have a really superficial portrayal of suicidal people because the society is generally not empathetic towards them.

If you're really interested in suicidal characters that's examined in great psychological and/or philosophical depth, I think a better place to turn to is literature.

Examples: Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood, Yukio Mishima's The Temple of the Golden Pavilion, Osamu Dazai's No Longer Human, Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar, Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway, Dostoevsky's Notes from Underground

@Dauphine, I think we might have the answer after all. :-)
Mar 26, 2019 11:42 AM
Sep 2016
Osamu Dazai is a suicidal character. He is from the anime Bungou Stray Dogs and even if he wants to commit suicide sometimes, he still is a great character.
Mar 26, 2019 11:48 AM

Dec 2017
Ishigami from kaguya sama is also a suicidal character but he is portrayed in a funny way.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Mar 26, 2019 11:53 AM

Nov 2018
there are plenty of stories that aren't able to pull off a suicidal character correctly and in turn just ruin aspects of their story, but there are good examples out there (ex. Silent Voice).

or you can just make fun of suicide by introducing Zetsubou Sensei
Mar 26, 2019 11:57 AM
Nov 2018
Dali14 said:
Doki doki literate club (v game)
The empty box and zeroth (ln)

And i remember this https://myanimelist.net/manga/82295/Fukushuu_Kyoushitsu

what is this doki doki game?? is it good?
Mar 26, 2019 12:50 PM

Aug 2010

some people are just whiny scrubs but most suicidal people usually have serious mental health problems. So im not surprised that the average anime doesnt know how to handle the topic.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Mar 26, 2019 1:08 PM

Oct 2010
It's anime, so they crack a joke about everything. Zetsubou Sensei was pretty cool even though the mc was always planning to kill himself and he jokingly talked about it, and it worked, it was fun. Irl suicide is nasty and I know 1sthand how it affect the ones left behind.
Mar 26, 2019 1:16 PM
Jan 2018
pometlo said:
CHC said:

Finally someone who read No longer human and may understand how Bungou Stray Dogs is trying to deal with this issue.
Yes, Dazai Osamu was a suicidal person (the real author) and yes, this was integrated by BSD as well. But I think the way the anime deals with him and his suicidal tendencies is just right.

In No longer human he's always characterized as a clown who wears a mask all the time and instead of being honest to others he just tries to entertain them so that they won't ask any more questions or he would get into situations he couldn't handle. And with this knowledge I think Bungou Stray Dogs did very well with his characterization (although you need to read the original novel ). His suicide attempts are not only used for comedy as one may think but actually referring to the vibes you get from reading No longer human.
Mar 26, 2019 3:22 PM
Mar 2019
Johan Leibert from anime/manga Naoki Urosawa's (masterpiece) Monster. Guy is literally trying to get himself killed since he was about 10 years old after commiting some huge cruelties and always ends up surviving. At least for th emost part, as it ends having a lot of space for interpetetion ;)
Oct 11, 2021 12:15 PM
Jan 2020
How are Dazai suicidal attempts disrespectful? It actually has more meaning to it, that's how real life Dazai portrayed his suicide attempts, with humour

More topics from this board

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

22 by Ex-Aid »»
1 minute ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

11 by Rhaelynne »»
4 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 3 hours ago

33 by Hitagi__Furude »»
12 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

65 by Gator »»
15 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Yesterday

5 by Nemo_Niemand »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.