Forum Settings
Forums

Is modern anime going to a downhill? Is there any hope left?

New
Mar 22, 2019 1:19 PM

Mar 2015
With so many "masterpieces" nowadays is very hard to decide what to watch...As a famous man once said: "Can I copy your homework? Yeah just be sure to change it a bit ...". You know I don't need to remind you of those formula used for Isekai or Harem Genre or the shounen. Even those pretentious elitits shows use this formula...

Well the main problem ain't this but the execution and characters. Many fail to deliever what they could have done (potential) and turn into a mess or the popular saying "pile of shit". Oh excuse me I wanted to say diversity... Do I need to mention that in rom-com the main male character looks all the same and his dumbness and level of density never ceases to amaze us.
While most of the female lead characters with a strong willed personality has declined over the years and rarely we see nowadays something to choose from. Fanservice is always good I myself like gorgeous women in their underwear but school-grade kids (loli) a big no thank you.

In conclusion I enjoy like 2, 3 good shows per season but that's all that their is for the moment. I don't wanna talk about the fanbase because I had my own experiences with them. Not pleasent ones some of them. If I had to say the elitist circle jerking is the worst. Anyways let's hear your thoughts and what you expect for the more (anime) that is coming in the future?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 22, 2019 1:40 PM

Jul 2017
Lol downhill what? If anything the past year has been an uphill in terms of enjoyment. But I mean in terms of repetitiveness then maybe you could say I guess. I mean most stuff out there is just a copy of something else in one way or another. If this repetitiveness didn't sell well, then yeah you could say it'd be going downhill
Mar 22, 2019 1:41 PM

Oct 2013
new anime isn't really largely different from old anime so if you still had hope 15 years ago you can still have hope now to be honest with you
Mar 22, 2019 1:49 PM

Dec 2017
I agree with female lead characters part. It is always enjoyable to watch a badass female lead than just for panty shots. But I don't think modern anime is going downhill. It is same as before.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Mar 22, 2019 1:51 PM
Feb 2014
I'm probably not qualified to answer this since...

1. I'm not a seasonal watcher and 2. I haven't even watched half as much anime as you, not even close lol.

But still, i did watch and enjoyed more recent-ish anime such as Hataraku Saibou(2018), Shoukoku no Altair and Katsugeki Touken Ranbu(2017), Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru, Servamp and Bungou Stray Dogs(2016), Shokugeki no Souma and Death Parade(2015) etc.

So i think it's just a matter of preferences, that's all, quality doesn't really seem to have declined for me.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Mar 22, 2019 2:37 PM

Feb 2018
Anime is all trash anyways, manga is the superior medium.
Mar 22, 2019 2:46 PM

Jul 2012
Avoiding the obvious issues of over-generalizations.

You still say you enjoy 2-3 shows per season. So the obvious question is, what would you consider going uphill? Like how many shows have to personally appease you per season before you consider it going in a positive direction? As a follow up has there been any past season you can say definitively hit that mark? Because in order for it to be going downhill there obviously has to be a high point and specifically a single season you can point to as that high point.

Granted I've slightly fallen out of seasonal anime due to personal time constraints I think I would still enjoy the recent seasons that I glanced over as much as I would my peak seasonal watching of 30ish shows. Ie. I tend to enjoy isekai series and fantasy series in general so I don't mind that direction, I obviously have a personal preference for action shounen so those are always welcome, as long as there's comedy coming out I'll always have something to casually go back to each season.
GamerDLMMar 22, 2019 2:53 PM
Mar 22, 2019 5:03 PM

Aug 2017
Yep, another "Is anime dying?" thread.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 22, 2019 5:10 PM

Mar 2016
Nah.. i dont thing modern anime is going to downhill as long that repetitiveness still sold nicely. At least for next five years for sure

Mar 22, 2019 5:28 PM

Oct 2013
Maybe there aren't many shows that interest you because not everything is made to please one specific person.

I mean there's only 5 shows next season I'm interested in and 3 are sequels. I'm not complaining about it, I'll take what I can get.
Mar 22, 2019 5:32 PM

Feb 2019
Waifus are what keep the world in orbit.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Mar 22, 2019 5:37 PM

Oct 2010
I'd say that if you claim to enjoy only 2-3 shows per season it sounds harsh but how many seasonals do you usually watch? Like 5? Because it's a big difference if you pick 5 than if you pick, say, 20 and only enjoy 2-3 of them.
Mar 22, 2019 6:01 PM
Jul 2018
You can still enjoy 2-3 shows. Glad for you.
Mar 22, 2019 6:03 PM

Dec 2016
Does this thread really need to be made every other week?

What's the difference?
Mar 22, 2019 6:07 PM

May 2018
Daemon said:

Oh well, here we go again.

I think I understand now, why lots of young anime fans don't like older anime.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1766153&show=0

Should newer anime fans be required to watch the old classics, or does it not matter anymore?
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1764304&show=

anyone else is not happy about the "current" state of anime community?
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1766590

Being objective about anime, old can be as good as new. They are equals but different.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1767174&show=0
Mar 22, 2019 6:07 PM

Jan 2017
I swear I see this kind of threads everyday xD
I don't think it's going downhill , There were shit shows in the past , and there are shit shows today too :v
I guess there are more shows produced now than before so there are a lot of mediocre ones , but the good ones are still there.
"In this world, wherever there is light – there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exists, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars, and hatred is born to protect love."
-Madara Uchiha

Mar 22, 2019 6:17 PM

Apr 2014
Let me tell you my perspective on the matter, as I don't think a lot of people think this debate through...

I think a lot of people have a feeling that the 90s had overall better quality anime, which I'm not disproving, but I think a massive amount of people tend to only remember the good shows, and not mention any of the awful or mediocre shows that aired in that time as well. I think we need to think of the 10s like we're in the year 2030. We won't remember a show like GATE or Ranpo Kitan, but we will remember shows like Mob Psycho 100, Steins;Gate and Dororo. We as fans will compare what we will remember, which is usually only the good, and never the mediocre or the bad.

If we are still fans in the year 2030, we will look back at this era of anime in the same way we look back at the 90s right now. So I don't really think anything THAT major has happened, we just forgot.
Mar 22, 2019 6:21 PM

May 2009
kokuborou said:
Is modern anime going to a downhill? Is there any hope left?
It's not, but I have no clue what your value system is by which you decide to put "hope" in cartoons.

kokuborou said:
With so many "masterpieces" nowadays is very hard to decide what to watch...As a famous man once said: "Can I copy your homework? Yeah just be sure to change it a bit ...". You know I don't need to remind you of those formula used for Isekai or Harem Genre or the shounen. Even those pretentious elitits shows use this formula...
But...they do change it a bit every time. Every one of them actually turns out to be different as long as you don't simply sweep stuff under a draw-conclusions-about-the-entire-genre-being-the-same rug.

kokuborou said:
In conclusion I enjoy like 2, 3 good shows per season but that's all that their is for the moment. I don't wanna talk about the fanbase because I had my own experiences with them. Not pleasent ones some of them. If I had to say the elitist circle jerking is the worst. Anyways let's hear your thoughts and what you expect for the more (anime) that is coming in the future?
I mean no offense, but frankly, your post just seems to ramble on without much of a clear point -- or rather, you address a bunch of different things, but it's not clear which one actually is your point, aside from your general feeling of dissatisfaction with your experience being an anime fan.

Anyhow, I personally expect there to just be more change in the future, as fads and the popularity of various genres comes and goes. The aesthetic styles of the animation themselves will likely also change.

And it'll be most interesting to see how our generation -- us folks who grew up with anime as a mass medium starting in our childhoods -- will end up. Both as fans, and in some cases, as producers.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 22, 2019 6:30 PM
Jul 2018
1. No it isn't.
2. If you don't like anime anymore, just stop watching it.
3. Get these fucking garbage threads of my main page.
Mar 22, 2019 6:59 PM

Aug 2018
1 - If enjoyable means really great shows that you love, well yeah, it's been like that since the begining for me.
2 - Every season has 2 - 5 great shows, the rest pretty forgettable. That've been the case since always, no news there.
3 - I don't think that the industry is dying, but I don't see much improvement either.
Mar 23, 2019 2:00 AM

Mar 2015
Mythologically said:

You've legit made 3 cancer "old anime better >:(" threads in the past two days. Are u alright there buddy do u need someone to talk to lmao

Tommorow is another day! Look forward to more posts!
Mar 23, 2019 2:03 AM

Mar 2015
Gorochu said:
Daemon said:

Oh well, here we go again.

I think I understand now, why lots of young anime fans don't like older anime.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1766153&show=0

Should newer anime fans be required to watch the old classics, or does it not matter anymore?
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1764304&show=

anyone else is not happy about the "current" state of anime community?
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1766590

Being objective about anime, old can be as good as new. They are equals but different.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1767174&show=0

I like that other people made threads like this! It's always good to have diversity!
Mar 23, 2019 2:08 AM

Dec 2015
It's just that more and more is being produced - with anime getting more popular. Means there is more trash and the good stuff is harder to find. But with all the tons of romance shit every now and then there is some good stuff which doesn't feel like a prolonged endless shoujo or a typical otaku-shounen romance.

(Hidden gem just recently: Hi(gh) Score Girl.)

Same for other genre. Same (at least for me) for other western non-animated productions. I hate most of the "hollywood" movies or US series. (But there also are super great ones.)

Mar 2015
Pylia said:

As long as there is a new Precure, anime won't go downhill.

More seriously, creativity is based on reinventing the already existing, so blaming creators for taking inspiration from the preexisted should already be taken with a grain of salt. Also, anime is an art form that can't sustain itself on a purely artistic level it also has to serve as a product for its consumer, and therefore the production is demanded by what the consumer wants, and only secondary by the artist's vision, in cases.
That's why we shouldn't automatically blame "anime" or the producers/ creators but especially us as fans/ consumers/ financers for the lack of vision and the number of reoccurring series, first and foremost. If we have an issue with the type/variety of anime made, then finally try to support people you consider to be visionary, instead.

I did that. Since I bought most of my favorites shows. I don't know how others perceive this but for me if a show is bad it ain't worth spending my money on it. But opinions are another thing. There are free and anyone can say what is on their mind as long as they don't break the limit of goodbehaviour.

Feb 2010
The funny thing is that OP liking 2-3 shows each season is still more than a lot of people like each season. Feels like a luxury problem.

But yeah OP obviously wants to bombard this forum with repetitive threads that have little to no point and even less arguments. The sad thing is that one user is all it needs for everyone else to start thinking 'man these old anime fans are really obnoxious, there's a thread like this every day it feels like'.

But it's really just one obnoxious guy and he doesn't even dislike modern anime if he still enjoys 3 per season, he just seems to enjoy playing into the stereotype and stirring up shit. Not that it matters. I know people will see these threads and start piling up their prejudices against old anime fans again. Heck, I wouldn't even be surprised if OP was actually a newfag, just trolling to give old anime fans a bad reputation. Because he's certainly not accomplishing anything positive for us.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 23, 2019 2:10 AM

Jul 2016
Is modern anime going to a downhill?

Yes

Is there any hope left?

No
Mar 23, 2019 2:31 AM

Mar 2015
Pullman said:
The funny thing is that OP liking 2-3 shows each season is still more than a lot of people like each season. Feels like a luxury problem.

But yeah OP obviously wants to bombard this forum with repetitive threads that have little to no point and even less arguments. The sad thing is that one user is all it needs for everyone else to start thinking 'man these old anime fans are really obnoxious, there's a thread like this every day it feels like'.

But it's really just one obnoxious guy and he doesn't even dislike modern anime if he still enjoys 3 per season, he just seems to enjoy playing into the stereotype and stirring up shit. Not that it matters. I know people will see these threads and start piling up their prejudices against old anime fans again. Heck, I wouldn't even be surprised if OP was actually a newfag, just trolling to give old anime fans a bad reputation. Because he's certainly not accomplishing anything positive for us.

I don't care about reputation on a social media platform. It's not I can live my daily life in peace if x or y says bad things...This thread is more enjoyable than the current season. I think I am trolling...or not...anyways I like opinions so feel free to say more!
Mar 23, 2019 2:32 AM

Apr 2015
With the announcement of Re zero 2 everything goes uphill like it did never before \o/
Mar 23, 2019 3:03 AM

Dec 2017
In conclusion I enjoy like 2, 3 good shows per season but that's all that their is for the moment.

I dunno why but the "90% garbage/10% good" quote I saw somewhere really applies here. Every season follows the same formula of having a mix of good and bad shows (yes there will be seasons with more good/bad shows than the other).
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Mar 23, 2019 3:12 AM

Oct 2018
Is this a shit post?? Serious question
Mar 23, 2019 3:16 AM

Mar 2015
It's one o
Classy_Cassy said:

It's one of those I don't like other's opinions posts so can we report it? Satisfied?
Mar 23, 2019 7:11 AM
Jul 2018
Pullman said:

Just to clarify, by old anime fans you mean "old" anime fans or "old anime" fans?
Mar 23, 2019 7:16 AM

Feb 2010
petran79 said:
Pullman said:

Just to clarify, by old anime fans you mean "old" anime fans or "old anime" fans?

I mean the latter. It's just always unpleasant to see when someone only talks positive about old anime in the context of shitting on new ones.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 23, 2019 8:37 AM

Feb 2016
I feel like the general animation style has lost some of the 'soul' certain older shows have.
Also anime tends to get more repetitive, since there is already so much content, it's hard to stay original.

These are the downsides I feel there are. Don't know if anime is going downhill as a whole. There are still shows around with high and low quality. And even that is subjective.
TaloraelMar 23, 2019 8:44 AM
Mar 23, 2019 11:24 AM

Oct 2018
kokuborou said:
It's one o
Classy_Cassy said:

It's one of those I don't like other's opinions posts so can we report it? Satisfied?

Ah, it’s one of those replies “I feel offended by you so let’s assume you’re just a hater” Satisfied?
Mar 23, 2019 11:28 AM

Oct 2018
old good new bad upgeraldos to the left
*I used to be cringe, nowadays I’m even cringier* 😎
Mar 23, 2019 1:22 PM

Sep 2018
Anime has been going downhill since 2010 my dude.
Mar 23, 2019 1:29 PM

Oct 2018
Obligatory "Current gen sucks" thread.
Mar 23, 2019 2:54 PM

Sep 2014
JCTheKing said:

I have no idea what does pre-2010 anime have more than post-2010 anime. There are great anime in both side.
Mar 23, 2019 3:08 PM

May 2016
Someone clearly has not read the wisdom contained in my signature. End your miserable state of ignorance and do so.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 23, 2019 3:15 PM

Sep 2018
Hrybami said:
JCTheKing said:

I have no idea what does pre-2010 anime have more than post-2010 anime. There are great anime in both side.
Hrybami said:
JCTheKing said:

There's much more trash anime nowadays compared to pre-2010. Most of the popular anime nowadays are complete fucking garbage compared to the popular anime pre-2010. The only thing that has improved is animation. The art style in these newer anime are generic looking, and most of them are all low quality compared to the classics.
Mar 23, 2019 3:22 PM

Nov 2016
There have been tons of threads like this one and the answer is always the same.. NO!!!!

Anime hasn't changed a bit in the last years. You might've just gotten bored of anime as a medium thus you think its going downhill overall. If you want to revive your love for anime just take a break for a week or two.

There are as many good anime now than in the 2000's just that now its harder to find because there are tons of shows coming out. For example, Winter 2009 and 2019 respectively had 4 and 5 Anime with a rating of 8.XX coming out. The difference is that Winter 2009 had just 27 TV shows while Winter 2019 had 43 making it harder to differenciate the good ones from the cashgrabs.
GokaiKingMar 23, 2019 3:30 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2019 3:23 PM

May 2016
Pylia said:
Zelkiiro said:
Someone clearly has not read the wisdom contained in my signature. End your miserable state of ignorance and do so.

I approve of everything stated in your signature "wisdom."

The pathway to enlightenment has guided you well.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 23, 2019 3:24 PM
May 2016
Because too many wish fulfillment or comfort fantasy anime like rising of the shield hero and lack creativity.
Mar 23, 2019 3:31 PM

Nov 2016
Zelkiiro said:
Pylia said:

I approve of everything stated in your signature "wisdom."

The pathway to enlightenment has guided you well.

The part I personally agree the most with is "There is no 'Golden Age.' There is always top-shelf anime.". The rest is a mixed bag.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2019 4:01 PM
Nov 2013
Depends what you are looking for. If you try find new classics and experimental trendsetter masterpieces, then perhaps anime has been in decline. But I think there's been a huge improvement in overall artistic quality even if I find that modern animation can't beat the very best old school handwritten animation (this is 100% my own opinion).

I'm not sure how to describe the story apartment. There are some unique gems (especially in manga and LN) but most stories in modern anime has been told before. That doesn't mean modern version of the story can't be better but if you've heard the same story multiple times, you might end up having a bias and don't find the new one as appealing as if it was your first time.

I haven't seen a new classic in animation since Redline movie in 2009 for example. The visuals were the core of that movie and story was just an extra. There are lots of good or even better looking movies but none have ever set an impression that this art represents just this show and I believe that's the uniqueness in anime. I can find great stories elsewhere in other media as well.
Mar 23, 2019 4:18 PM

Apr 2018
Aceofcard said:
Because too many wish fulfillment or comfort fantasy anime like rising of the shield hero and lack creativity.

If you're idea of wish fulfilment is being framed of rape and hated by everyone u must have got it really hard in life. I'm sorry for u pal.

OT: Looking at threads like this I'd say the only thing hopeless here is the mal ad.
Mar 23, 2019 4:42 PM
Nov 2013
vhagar8 said:

If you're idea of wish fulfilment is being framed of rape and hated by everyone u must have got it really hard in life. I'm sorry for u pal.
I'd like to see more villainous anime/manga where protagonist doesn't save the world but causes harm for other reasons than "revenge and for the sake of being evil". What if the life would be fancier at the "dark side" or there's no choice but be the bad guy in order to achieve something important (not just some antihero).
Mar 23, 2019 4:43 PM

Jan 2014
no, anime is not going downhill
and yes, there's hope left

Mar 23, 2019 4:50 PM
May 2016
jmunski said:
vhagar8 said:

I'd like to see more villainous anime/manga where protagonist doesn't save the world but causes harm for other reasons than "revenge and for the sake of being evil". What if the life would be fancier at the "dark side" or there's no choice but be the bad guy in order to achieve something important (not just some antihero).
re monster but dog shit and wish fulfillment.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 8 hours ago

36 by CheesyJen »»
7 seconds ago

» Would your husbando wash your dirty feet?

Catalano - 46 seconds ago

0 by Catalano »»
46 seconds ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

63 by DigiCat »»
3 minutes ago

» Can someone help me find this anime's name?

Angelblue1852 - 1 hour ago

2 by trinitroglycerin »»
4 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 7 minutes ago

1 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.