Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 23, 2019 6:00 PM
Jul 2017
I would say it is always better to watch it in Japanese because that is the way it was meant to be viewed. Even excluding the skill of the voice actors there are some things that just won't translate well.
Although it really depends on the person since having to read subtitles can be annoying and possibly distracting from the animation. My mom is deaf in one ear so I've had captions on tv my whole life making reading subtitles just automatic for me but if you can't keep up with them then its usually fine to watch the dub (if you can put up with the occasional terrible voice acting)
Mar 23, 2019 6:02 PM

Mar 2016
Dubs are really important to the growth of anime in the west and the rest of the world. Without dubs(Pokemon, DBZ, Naruto) half of us wouldn’t even be here posting on this forum.

I personally prefer subs over dubs, because there isn’t really a reason for me to watch a dubbed version of something when the original is just as easy to watch.

Dubs I enjoyed tho are, Death Note, FMAB and MHA.

Mar 23, 2019 6:09 PM

Mar 2016
Hellsing TV version is one show where I'd say dub is what makes it worth watching. Hellsing Ultimate less so, though I prefer the dub there somewhat.
Mar 23, 2019 6:43 PM
Oct 2018
I love dubs, but I prefer subs typically.
However some shows (ex: Toradora) have better dubs and I'll watch 'em dubbed unless if the dub changes key points of the show
Mar 23, 2019 6:56 PM
Oct 2017
The gurren lagann dub is infinitely better than the sub. Also heaven's lost property.
Kick logic to the curb and do the impossible.
Mar 23, 2019 7:31 PM

Apr 2017
the dub butchered killua's precious voice.
Mar 23, 2019 7:35 PM

Jul 2016
Tried watching code geass dub version before but I still prefer sub :< But the evil laugh of lelouch on the dub is good. I really love subs more XD Japanese aeiyuu ftw
Mar 23, 2019 8:00 PM

Dec 2015
papsoshea said:
Some dubs are cool but a lot of the English VA's are a bunch of degenerates, so I'm just not interested in their work anymore.

I'd suck D.C.D. for a scoobysnack after he gave me the shoulder touch.
Mar 23, 2019 8:02 PM

May 2016
I tend to stick with whatever language I first see the anime in. But overall I've seen some animes thats only good in japanese and there's some anime thats only good in english. There's good and bad voice acting on both sides.
"It's not like I wanted a signature or anything...BAKA!" - A MAL user.
Mar 23, 2019 8:31 PM

Dec 2008
All subbed only releases are utter shit and dubs are total nirvana. Who really gives a flying fuck? Let each person decide for themselves-one condition though, keep your goddamn fucking opinion to yourself. Nobody-including me wants to shitting hear it.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Mar 23, 2019 8:39 PM

Mar 2015
I started watching anime in english dub only then started watching subbed because I was missing out on a lot of shows by strictly sticking to dub. I could never go back to dubs except for any of the Dragon Ball series because I grew up watching it in dub and Goku's japanese voice is horrible imo I personally believe Fairy Tail's dub is quite good, the english voices match the characters well.
Mar 23, 2019 8:47 PM

Sep 2018
The only dub I watched is Chobits. When I watched the OVA (sub) of Chobits I find the voice of Chi weird, I prefer the eng dub voice of Chi. But after that, I haven't watched dub version anymore. I like to hear japanese VA more, and also they are more fit to voice anime, in my opinion.
Mar 23, 2019 9:00 PM
Aug 2018
As a prefer-er of subs over dubs I will say I can only watch Fairy tail in dub because I started it like that and I feel weird not finishing it like that. I am not one to say all dubs should die though, that is not necessary.
Mar 23, 2019 9:02 PM

Jan 2017
TheKawaiiToon said:

Anyways, to those who watch subs and subs only...
Is there a certain dubbed anime that you liked even though you're someone who would rather watch subs instead?

Baccano and Black Lagoon dubs are standouts ,
and modern day dubs aren't as bad as they used to be.
"In this world, wherever there is light – there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exists, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars, and hatred is born to protect love."
-Madara Uchiha

Mar 23, 2019 10:02 PM

Mar 2018
TheKawaiiToon said:
I know many of you sub watchers may hate dubs to death but let me tell you this: not all dubs are bad.
I am not forcing you to go and watch dubs right know or else. If you really hate dubs, that is fine by me (a dub watcher). But I am not fine when people say "dubs should die" or something like that.

Is there a certain dubbed anime that you liked even though you're someone who would rather watch subs instead?

A typical answer would be "Cowboy Bebop", although I would love to see more shows in this thread other than just Cowboy Bebop.

I have to say that I do hate dubs and only my first anime was dub which was DBZ. But that dub was so good that I couldn't watch Dragon Ball Super in sub and actually waited for the dub. Other then that I can't realy handle dub.
LOOKING FOR ARTISTS PLEASE MESSAGE ME IF YOU'RE ONE
Review please!

Mar 23, 2019 10:09 PM
Jul 2018
I don't just hate dubs, and I don't want anyone to "go die", but I am seemingly a purist. The issue many others and I have, is that dub studios sometimes tweak the subject matter. They way to often fail to do the source material justice by not staying true to the subject matter. They often attempt to "westernize" the Anime. I can understand when it comes to stuff like political jokes, as western people probably aren't up to date on the going on's of modern day political Japan. However, they take a lot of other liberties. It can be said its to help make it more relate-able to the audience, but when jokes are censored or altered in some SJW type fashion. That pisses me off to no end. I am not even a vulgar/crude humor type guy, but a joke or scene was written for a reason, and if you feel you have to change it, then what is the point of even showing the program? Aside from this recent trend of alterations (and I have examples)... The recent lack in QUALITY of dub work is also unsettling. The new Konosuba and Goblin slayer dubs are atrocious. You have to watch both to understand. If the Japanese voices are accepted as intended portrayals of the character, then the dubs for those shows take a huge deuce on those intentions. There was a time when dub work at least tried to mimic tones and perspectives and mirror the humor, just in English. Now its a seemingly "fuck it" of whose who doing whatever. A cold and shaky Japanese portrayal becomes a bumbly bubbly doofus, cause that is how an English speaker would do it? I dunno, seems lazy. There have been good dubs, and recent too. So it's not a complete loss of a franchise. However you feel about shounen anime, My Hero Academia is a good example of dub work, but you asked for some dubs that I enjoyed:

Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Beobop are always gonna get name dropped in this conversation. They were just too perfect.

Ai Yori Aoshi ,<-a soap opera type slice of life older but a good dub the character voices sometimes don't fit what is normally grounds for dismissal, but the age in the artwork and type of show it is, makes those errors oddly relate-able )

Another! <- absolutely LOVE this dub),

Fairytail, (what a dub, what a cast)

FLCL, (who doesnt love the cackling voice of haruhara)

FMA/FMAB, (damn what a cast, again)

Grimgar, (but I think there was a cast change at the end)

Initial D, ( like they were born to do it, top marks)

Hellsing ( Freeman stole the hearts and nightmares of fans everywhere)

Parasyte ( So perfect, at first I was against it but the latter bits of the show really take that migi and make it the primary voice )

Miss Kobayashis dragon maid: ( A simpler show, not complex but Wiedenheft, Sarah ,as I copy and pasted from MAL, really put a lot of effort into tooru and it didn't go unappreciated here)

Log Horizon (love this dub)

Onepunch man (who doesnt love this dub, its so bad its good)

OVERLORD ( the dub and the sub and the raw dont care this show is the shit, and its so weird that the guy also does the PAFUME MAAAN guy in fairytail someone get on making those cross over youtube videos)

Kenichi (another dub close to my heart)

Shinsekai yori (great dub,great show watch it)

Skip Beat! ( obsessed with this manga now, barely watched the sub, its all about the dub on this one)

Toradora, also has a good dub.

I know what you are thinking, this guy just went down is Anime List, and picked out the dubs he liked.... well yes. Yes I did. However, there are a few others like devil was a part timer, or shomin sample that were just okay but perfectly fine dubs. All the ones I picked really stood out to me and I did indeed watch both on most of em. There was a happier time in anime and dubbing studios, when there was a lot more effort it seems. Even the songs were converted to English. Now we get zombie land saga... where the dub is a little bleh and it jumps straight into Japanese lyrics. The voices are so far from their Japanese counterparts that it isn't passable or watchable. I don't hate dubs, I just hate bad dubs. So statistically, especially now, I hate dubs. Contradicting myself, I did just remember Shimonetta and Yamada kun and the 7 witches. Those dubs were also really good. Check em out if you haven't already and are a dub only viewer. Be warned though, taste is subjective and my pallet is all over the place. So should I even be commenting at all? Who knows. #TL;DR
Mar 23, 2019 10:28 PM

Dec 2015
I don't mind dubs but they're not for me. Despite that I loved the Blood+ dub. I couldn't find the subbed series except for a few episodes so I decided to just roll with it.
Mar 23, 2019 10:31 PM

Feb 2019
Both i've watching,I really don't mind it
Mar 23, 2019 10:47 PM

Feb 2018
I used to watch dubs when I was younger but tbh they can't compare to the original voice acting. Dubs usually sound so.. childish to me. I don't know how to explain it, but I just can't take them seriously at all. I think Pokemon, Digimon, and few older classics weren't that bad actually.
Mar 23, 2019 10:49 PM

Feb 2019
TheKawaiiToon said:
I know many of you sub watchers may hate dubs to death but let me tell you this: not all dubs are bad.
I am not forcing you to go and watch dubs right know or else. If you really hate dubs, that is fine by me (a dub watcher). But I am not fine when people say "dubs should die" or something like that.

A.

Im a sub user, and i just refuse to watch any dub's its just so cringey when a romantic scene appears, but only anime that i do like that i have considered dubs, are "Attack On Titan" "Dragon Ball Z KAI"(This one is always dub over sub), and thats it
Mar 23, 2019 10:49 PM

May 2017
I enjoyed Kuroshitsuji's dub. I also preferred the Dragon Ball dubs because I don't like Goku's voice in Japanese xD
Mar 23, 2019 10:52 PM

Aug 2018
Konosuba
Hinamatsuri
Was pretty surprised desu when I first heard these, props to the dubbie corps
Mar 24, 2019 12:06 AM

May 2013
not a fan of dubs at all, but Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt and Evangelion had some great acting on the dub
Mar 24, 2019 1:02 AM

May 2015
the ONLY anime i prefer dub over is Hetalia, And it's because they give every country their own accents
My Candies:
Mar 24, 2019 1:53 AM

Aug 2016
Not that I'd ever go back to watching DBZ but if I ever did I'd definitely watch that one dubbed. Oh also I definitely liked Baccano's dub.
Mar 24, 2019 1:59 AM

Aug 2012
TheKawaiiToon said:

A typical answer would be "Cowboy Bebop", although I would love to see more shows in this thread other than just Cowboy Bebop.
I cannot give you a name maybe Trigun but the main problem with dubs is it looses part of the charm and the language based jokes. Subs generally handle those better. There some good dubs out there but most sound really off because the two languages are so different.
Mar 24, 2019 2:25 AM

Sep 2008
Baccano is kind of an obvious one. Also Ghost Stories.

It's odd that nobody mentioned Golden Boy here yet. Also Excel Saga. And Cromartie High School.
5layerMar 24, 2019 2:33 AM
Mar 24, 2019 2:45 AM

Jun 2012
PrincessMeiMei said:
I prefer the German dubs to Spirited Away and The Legend of Princess Snow White - otherwise always subs.

German dubs in general are nostalgic to this former RTL2 addict. Mononoke-hime's dub is one of my favourites.

I prefer subs though over any dub nowadays. It's mostly easier on the ears and doesn't force as much consentration.
Eight-Man said:
Remember, be an artist, not an autist.

"If anything simply cannot go wrong it will anyway."

~ Murphy's 5th law
Mar 24, 2019 3:00 AM

Dec 2018
I love Japanese culture and language , and it feels out of place when my anime is English dubbed, and the English voice actor are often horrible

Dubs just doesn't feel right for me so i avoid it
Mar 24, 2019 5:04 AM

Apr 2017
annmaryjay said:
PrincessMeiMei said:
I prefer the German dubs to Spirited Away and The Legend of Princess Snow White - otherwise always subs.

German dubs in general are nostalgic to this former RTL2 addict. Mononoke-hime's dub is one of my favourites.

I prefer subs though over any dub nowadays. It's mostly easier on the ears and doesn't force as much consentration.

Yes, man! I'm not even German, but I got the channels on satellite when I was a child. Old RTL2 is nostalgic AF! Let me tell you, the German dub for The Legend of Princess Snow White is the best thing ever, all the voices were so gorgeous and perfectly fit the characters - the King, Evil Queen, Snow White, Prince Richard, the dwarves...I still have this freaking dream of one day finding that whole dub online somewhere in at least decent quality. Man, I would be so happy. This is my absolute favorite version of Snow White. It also looked so pretty!
Mar 24, 2019 6:05 AM

Feb 2016
this is some high quality bait, also dubs are bad because there lost in translation some of the time, its like watching a Japanese dub of The Simpsons. A lot of japanese customs and stuff unique to japan dont make sense in english. or anime about shoji is too complex to explain in the same time in english. Dubs only work with anime like cowboy bebop because there isnt much thing that are japan exclusive but modern day voice acting in dubs sounds amateur and subs just do it better (like the emotions)

People dont watch subs because they have to read lol, its for the intellectuals
Mar 24, 2019 6:06 AM

Feb 2018
There are a few nice dubs, but given that I would usually have to wait a long time for it to be released, I pretty much only watch sub, when I even watch anime.
MANGA IS THE SUPERIOR MEDIUM!!!
Mar 24, 2019 7:07 AM

Aug 2017
I don't often watch dubs, but the ones i have seen including Fullmetal Alchemist and the ghibli films have been really good. i mainly watch sub because that's the original and intended way to view it in my eyes, though with some shows notably Hyouka i thought maybe the dub would work better
Mar 24, 2019 7:09 AM

Jan 2019
Dub vs Sub?
Fuck both of them.
Who cares what anybody else nags about. Watch whatever you like. Period.
Mar 24, 2019 7:09 AM

May 2018
but let me tell you this: not all dubs are bad

But I care more about authentic acting, not "better" one by some other criterion. I want to know what the original creators/artists wanted to do and how they performed.
Mar 24, 2019 7:32 AM
Jul 2018
A feature that would make me greatly respect dubs would be if they dub also the OP/ED, the insert songs and the BGM.
Ghibili dubs usually do this fortunately, same for popular Disney movies and various animated musicals, but I do not see it very often in anime. This alone shows that they invested a lot in the dub.

Eg I was watching Nadesico and in the contest episode, dub switched to Japanese voices during characters songs.This was an instant turn off. As if they meant to say screw the dub and watch the original

While I'd prefer the Japanese dub of Key the Metal Idol, the English dub gets my respect for doing all of the above

Mar 24, 2019 7:32 AM

Nov 2018
I watch subs only, not because it's Japanese, but Because it is the original, and it is very weird for me watching a Japanese show dubbed in other language that is not Japanese.
Same applies for any other foreign English/Russian dubbed movies and shows that I can undertand but not tolerate, for example watching Narcos in any other language other than Spanish is a big "No No" for me.

I can see only one reason why I would ever watch a dubbed version, and it's only when the original VA sucks way too hard.
For example Future Diary is a show that I regret watching, mainly for Yuno's childish intolerable Japanese voice, which is mostly presented in the "Yuki!" moments, which are 90% of the show.
I Compared it to the dubbed version afterwards, and for my opinion it is way better and more mature. I'd rather watch it instead of the subbed one (or even better, not watching this show at all).

serg90Mar 24, 2019 7:47 AM
Mar 24, 2019 12:58 PM

Feb 2010
no, dub ruin every anime. there was few old tv series which i wanted to watch but couldnt find subs only dubbed versions thought maybe i will survive it somehow but ended up dropping because no sub.. so cringy
Mar 24, 2019 1:19 PM
Dec 2017
Well we don't get the feel in the dub anime like screams,cries,laughs,accent,jokes, emotions ect so it's better to watch sub if you really want to enjoy anime
Mar 24, 2019 1:24 PM
Dec 2018
i cant stand how dubs change the dialouge
Mar 24, 2019 2:01 PM

Apr 2017
Baccano is a really good dub. I liked Trigun as well.
Mar 24, 2019 2:05 PM
Nov 2018
code geass and death note's dubs are really good
Mar 24, 2019 2:07 PM

Jul 2017
Female voice acting in dubs is cringe-inducing
Americans trying to pronounce Japanese terms with their accent also is

No, thanks, the small letters in the lower part of the screen are far better.
あなたは誰?
Mar 24, 2019 2:13 PM

Jun 2015
Everybody including me and no matter what his mother language is, is going to say that the dub of the old shows was good because of nostalgia and nothing more. It's just because you watched those shows as kids in dub that you feel like that toward them.

Subs are always better.

Nonetheless, I can admit that some of the OPs and Eds of some dubbed versions were really better than the original ones.

Mar 24, 2019 2:16 PM

Jun 2016
I guess I watched some dubs way back when I first started seeking anime on YouTube XP But they were for some, niche shows like Ouran Highschool Host Club and Please Twins! The former of which I greatly enjoyed and still love its dubbed opening till now (over the subbed).
Mar 24, 2019 2:29 PM

Oct 2013
I mostly learn towards sub, but I know there great dub out there like cowboy bebop.
Mar 24, 2019 3:09 PM

Nov 2018
I really wanted to watch Barakamon subbed. However, I could only find it dubbed, but I'll admit I still really enjoyed it! I watch subs whenever I can, but this was a well done dub

君の声 

忘れない 

涙も 

忘れない
Mar 24, 2019 3:35 PM

Mar 2019
weiss said:
Hajime_Hinata said:
I prefer subs over dubs, but I can admit that both dubbed versions of Death note and Code geass are far superior than the subbed versions... Seriously, if you haven’t watched the dubbed versions of both of those shows, then you’re really missing out on some high quality voice acting.
I hope you're being sarcastic, Death Note can't be an example of "high quality voice acting" let alone claiming it's superior to the original version. Right back at you, if you haven't seen Death Note in Japanese do it right now
Yeah this stood out for me too.

Death Note was kind of weird in English to me I guess.

I usually think the Japanese voice acting is better though I'm mindful of the possibility that I only think so because I do not speak Japanese and would consider it just as bad if I did but the 1995 Ghost in the Shell film stands out for me as having very good English voice acting superior to the Japanese version.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Mar 24, 2019 3:42 PM
Oct 2018
I would have to say that i dislike dubs to a point as i still don't mind watching a few of them i would say though that the best ones that i have seen would have to be highschool dxd, Cowboy bebop, i don't mind the SAO season 1 dub which i watched when it first came out but still prefer to watch subbed for it.
Mar 24, 2019 3:50 PM

Aug 2017
I'm a subs watcher but I'm nostalgic of Dragon Ball and Yu-Gi-Oh!'s french dubs though there's censorship and Dragon Ball's dubs are a bit messed up (names of characters and skills sometimes change from an episode to another)
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

31 by WatchTillTandava »»
9 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 3 hours ago

8 by Akuya »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

56 by RantingMarauder »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - Yesterday

18 by Daviljoe193 »»
31 minutes ago

» peak piece

Cyborgium - Mar 28

6 by SnipeStrike »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.