Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 20, 2019 8:46 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
English because you can get by in pretty much any country with it lol. I do like how easy conjugation is in Spanish though (minus inanimate objects being male/female which is stupid it complicates things for no reason) and Japanese grammer makes it a very easy language to speak. I never took any languages in school besides those though (only had two elective periods lol), although latin based languages in general are kind of sexy sounding and a few of those African languages where they throw mouth clicks in amaze me (no idea how they multi task like that)
Jul 21, 2019 4:28 AM

Oct 2016
I am fluent in Spanish (this one is my native language), English and I studied a bit of French in high school. However I'd say my favorites are slavic ones (norwegian, swedish, polish, russian...) because they sound really appealing to me and I'd love learning them! Apart from them, I'd also love to learn German, Chinese and Japanese. I really love languages in general but those are the ones who catch my attention the most.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 21, 2019 8:25 AM

Apr 2015
Henapon said:
However I'd say my favorites are slavic ones (norwegian, swedish, polish, russian...) because they sound really appealing to me and I'd love learning them!

Norwegian and Swedish alongside Danish, Icelandic and Faroese are North Germanic languages, otherwise known as Scandinavian languages. They're more close to Germany than Slavic languages like Russia and Ukrainian. But I agree Slavic languages are nice sounding.
Jul 21, 2019 8:29 AM

Oct 2016
konkelo said:
Henapon said:
However I'd say my favorites are slavic ones (norwegian, swedish, polish, russian...) because they sound really appealing to me and I'd love learning them!

Norwegian and Swedish alongside Danish, Icelandic and Faroese are North Germanic languages, otherwise known as Scandinavian languages. They're more close to Germany than Slavic languages like Russia and Ukrainian. But I agree Slavic languages are nice sounding.

I see, thanks! Then I'll say both Scandinavian and Slavic ones sound very nice to me, I forgot to mention danish as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 21, 2019 8:40 AM

Jan 2009
Flevalt said:
The sounds used by each language have a strain on the user of the language.
Some sounds are more strainful than others and they will exhaust you faster.

It becomes most obvious when you try to speak a tribal tongue that is spoken with sounds that are produced by clicking your tongue.

There are also sounds so hoarse that their constant, repeated usage will roughen up your lung/voice. A person that has spoken a language for years will be best able to tell what sounds the language has that strain your voice.

German has sounds that produce a lot of friction in your throat, like the classic "ch" which sounds like a cat's hissing.

Producing this sound in full (and not half-assed like e.g. some accents would produce it) and often using words that have this sound will roughen up your voice over the years.

There are also sounds whose low or high pitch can be a pain to use. Not talking about once or twice, but if you use these on a constant basis to produce some words, you can notice how the sound itself is extremely unnatural for a human as you have to put vastly more energy into producing it as opposed to other sounds. I find this most notable when you're sick in bed or in a state where your immune system is broken down. You can really feel the impact of every sound you produce in such a state and if you pay attention, you'll notice that some words and sounds are a no-go in such a state while others just fly off the tongue.

An Indian will sound like a clown because the sounds they have to produce are mostly nasal. Their sounds go through the nose and the output comes off as silly.
Having to listen to Indian accents is annoying as hell.

I would rate languages based on their effects on the speaker rather than on the effect of the sounds on listeners because, from what I can tell, it has a lasting impact on the mental and physical health of the speaker. Some languages are more pleasant to listen to, but they may not be as pleasant to speak them yourself permanently.

Many of the sounds produced by the German, Mandarin and Japanese languages are rather pleasant to listen to (though Mandarin is more for the fine taste).
As opposed to having to listen to any Hindi-based language or those languages that never developed much away from latin (Italian, Spanish, Portuguese).

The english language has this downside, not sure if anyone else ever paid much attention to it, that tones make a lot of use of sounds produced from reaching for sounds from the throat or having you tense up your tongue.
An effect of this is that native English speakers sound far more quiet than many other languages and sometimes this produces the effect for the listener that the spoken may sound as if the speaker whispers or mumbles.
This effect of "soothening" of the voice also has a side-effect where an English speaker whose voice cracks trying to convey an emotion will sound "less into it" if that's the right way to put it, than what many weebs complain about all the fucking time as opposed to a Japanese conveying emotion.

The English language is very capable of sounding affectionate and passionate too. The English soft/quiet tone just causes this phenomenon where some ears' reception can't process the information well to distinguish it.

The most pleasant language to speak, imo, is Russian. The sounds are easily produced and flow well. And unlike the English language, it doesn't regress your voice. The only bad part about the language is the effect of the sound on the receiver's end. Since the sounds are so easily produced, the language can come off as indifferently cold and kind of, how to put it, down-to-earth (some would say mentally challenged).

Underrated posting imho. I've wanted to reply more elaborately on it and also much earlier, but I don't really know what to say. Do you mean the "ich" sound with the "hissing" or the "ach" sound? The latter is better for onomatopoeia ("Mit Ach und Krach"), the former makes things sound a bit mellower in my opinion.
If you're from the southern German language area, you will use the "ich" sound much less if you speak southern Standard German, which differentiates from typical Standard German in the point that words on "-ig" ("Honig", "König", "ewig", etc.) as the last syllable get pronounced as "ik~ig" (between "k" and "g") instead of as "-ich". Supposedly, that type of pronunciation comes from the northern German theater language and has entered the standard pronunciation because it apparently makes things easier to comprehend/ to pick out/discern (sound).

So that explains why the English language feels so weak to me emotion-wise compared to German and Japanese for example.

I have also noticed that for small conversations within family, Romanian is much more comfortable to use than German, because it causes less strain on the voice. However, it doesn't feel as powerful as German.
NoboruJul 21, 2019 8:44 AM
Jul 21, 2019 7:16 PM
Mar 2018
My two must liked are Japanese followed by my own ancestors language Anishinaabemowin
what?
Jul 26, 2019 3:37 AM

Jan 2009
Flevalt said:
I don't think the differentiation matters too much betw. something like ich and ach because you're causing a lot of friction either way but the ach is of course more rough.
True enough. They may be straining, but they enrich the sounds and make it pleasant to listen to.

Yes and so does Low German. Like the Netherland's "ik" instead of "ich".
Low German is closely related to Dutch. Or more like Dutch has been historically seen as "Low German", given its origin from Low Franconian. There is even Meuse-Rhenish which was called "Deutschniederländisch" (German-Netherlandish) and how the "Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk" became later the "Nederlandse Hervormde Kerk" and how there's still a Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk in South Africa.

As for the pronunciation: there isn't really a general consus that applies to every speaker and there are some exceptions to the official pronunciation rules like "König[k~g]reich" (two times "ich sounds" are avoided because of "Wohlklang" (well/pleasant-sound) aspects) and "einzig(ch)artig(ch)" (here the rule doesn't apply).

Also, barely anyone uses the "ich" sound for words starting with "Ch" like in "Chemie".

http://www.sprechatelier.de/fileadmin/user_upload/pdf/NebertDasEinzIGartIGeIG.pdf

You might get a similar effect with English. Everything I say in English feels much more convincing, smarter, elegant and "cooler" than with German (or any other language for that matter). And all without even mimicking British accent.
I get "cooler" and "more elegant", but the whole "marketing English" feels actually way less convincing to me and not smarter at all. Therefore, "be cool - speak Deutsch"
NoboruJul 26, 2019 3:40 AM
Jul 26, 2019 11:03 AM

Nov 2011
written: Koine Greek (because it just looks cool!), English, Japanese
spoken: French, English, Japanese
songs: French, Romanian, Japanese
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jul 26, 2019 5:49 PM

Jan 2016
I always thought Japanese is beautiful.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

55 by Destinesia »»
17 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - 10 hours ago

9 by Hikinekomori »»
30 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - 4 hours ago

7 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

26 by deg »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - Yesterday

12 by Lightskynight »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.