Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2019 7:45 PM

Aug 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Was browsing through ANN earlier today and saw the review for this movie there, decided to check out if it was coming to theatres near me anytime soon and what do you know, today happened to be the only day it was showing (in subbed anyway, there's one day for dubbed too) so I decided to buy a ticket and watch Made in Abyss.

Kinda missed a bit of the beginning which is disappointed because that's where all the new content was, but it seemed I missed just some part introducing the Abyss as a concept, I think I saw all the new stuff with Lyza, which I did like.

As for the movie itself, well it certainly was the TV show again. This isn't a bad thing because the experience of seeing it on the big screen for me was enough to justify the purchase and make it worthwhile but had I seen it in another context I'd probably be more sour towards it. The base story here is good, and while the cut content was noticeable, it didn't really detract much from the narrative. I would say they did a good job condensing the first eight episodes down into the 2 or so hours. That being said, I don't feel like this entirely works as a movie. It definitely feels like just a prologue, and I agree with one reviewer that said "it stops rather than it ends". I think the second movie is going to work a lot better since it'll be mostly focused on one more cohesive story-line, while this went through quite a bit more. It was really like bringing the show than watching a movie. I feel the second movie, will not have that vibe due to it's more concentrated focus.

Which is why, I'm giving this a 6/10. The base content is stronger than that, even though my favourite stuff from Made in Abyss absolutely does come from the content that will be featured in the second movie, I still really enjoyed those first eight episodes and this was a good way to re-familiarize myself with them. Just experience the Kevin Penkin soundtrack again, or the gorgeous backgrounds again, was just something that I enjoyed doing on the big screen but again, it's the TV series again. And honestly, if you don't see it in theatres, I don't really see much value in watching this as opposed to the movie.

I liked the little interview/talking session bit with the creator & producer/director and such, that was a neat addition post-credits.
Mar 24, 2019 12:41 AM
Mar 2012
Saw dub version (limited showing so not much choice).
Ozen's voice feel different but well interpreted. Reg, uncle & the guys all sound fine. Riko's sounds like a brat proper, but sound leveling too loud so it seems like screaming/grating all first half.

I didn't read the summary, so saw it with wrong expectations. It is a recap, only the first few scenes with Lyza, Torka & Ozen were new.
So Riko inherited his good cooking & potato face (jk).
Interview was alright. Two years to make a film quality production, special care into the 5.1 sound for the film edit version, and other tidbits. I'd like that Nanachi hoodie tho.
Kevin Penkin's osts sounds amazing in theatre, completely different vibe than basic pc audio.

Mar 25, 2019 8:50 PM

Mar 2012
Had to go see the dub because that's all my local cinema was showing. Figured since I'm going out of my way to see it at the cinema, might as well get something new from it. Was actually quite impressed by it. I'm unsure if they re-recorded the dub or they just did the new scenes and remixed the dialogue, but I quite liked it even if a few side characters sounded slightly dodgy. Ozen and Riko are probably the best performances.

As for the movie itself, I really enjoyed it. It is pretty much just the series with a new intro, a few removed scenes, some new Penkin music and 5.1 sound. But its pieced together really well, and the pacing does feel very movie like. This is definitely top tier as far as recap movies go.

They obviously put a lot of care into making sure it sounded amazing through the cinema speakers, and as they said in the interview the animation was already movie quality. Blowing it up onto a cinema screen only highlights how good looking it is in a way that my tiny flatscreen TV couldn't.

Great time, shame there was only one other guy in the cinema and he walked out during the behind the scenes thing.

4/5. Hoping the 2nd and 3rd movie gets screened here too.
May 25, 2019 5:23 PM

Mar 2016
I have watched this series more than twice, I know what's gonna happen but watching it in the big screen is a whole new experience. I hope we can see the next two movies of Made in Abyss.
Also, don't leave the theater after the credits, because there's an extra scene where the director, producer and Akihito Tsukushi talks about the story.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jan 16, 2020 4:28 PM

Dec 2017
pretty good as just a mean to recollect all the essential info before the third movie comes out. didn't see anything particularly important being cut out
Jan 16, 2020 4:30 PM
Mar 2019
Literally just watch the first half of the season. I hate recap movies, so I gave it a 4/5. I give the anime 8/10 though.
Jan 19, 2020 5:35 AM

Feb 2019
Is any Bluray or DVD going to come out?
Jan 25, 2020 8:54 PM
Mar 2015
Love the relationship between Ozen and Lyza
Apr 2, 2020 3:30 AM

Mar 2017
Oh, I liked the new scenes at the beginning.

'nom'
May 23, 2020 2:32 AM

May 2016
Rewatching the first 8 episodes uninterrupted in a pretty seamless manner such as this after two years since watching the first season made me appreciate the series even more than I did back then and I can feel that I've picked up new things that I missed at my initial watch.

Seeing Ozen with Lyza and her husband at the beginning was pretty cool. Great recap movie for me overall~

Jul 7, 2020 12:52 PM

Mar 2019
Ok so yea basically a recap. I only watched this one so I can see the final part and that ost when they left Ozen's place. The flashback and what she said after were still sad .
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Sep 26, 2020 11:58 AM

Sep 2018
A nice summary that sees some unedited scenes, but that in reality I have not been able to discriminate them because I do not remember anything from the TV series. As soon as I review the entire anime season of "Made in Abyss" I will make the necessary considerations on this film, which gives the same emotions as the TV series, although not as long as the TV series, which is much more satisfying. Here with the story, we stop until the acquaintance of Ozen and his aide Marulk.

For now my vote is 8/10
Oct 17, 2020 11:01 PM

Jul 2016
Still can't believe how Torka managed to win Lyza's heart. Anyways, that brief interaction between him and Lyza at the beginning sure was a nice addition. I really liked it.

Oh! and I'm really glad to see best aunt Ouzen again, by the way. She's so cool... when not tormenting little kids, of course.

Overall, decent summary movie for the first half of the series. All the important plot points were kept and I appreciate the fact that some new tracks from the OST were added as well. The decision of not using both "Hanezeve Caradhina" and "Pathway" in their respective first scenes was kinda disappointing tho.

7/10 - Well, now onto the next summary movie... oh god.
Nov 14, 2020 6:27 AM

Oct 2013
I haven't seen the series for nearly a couple years, so I only remember the major plot beats and none of the specific scenes or surrounding details.

That being said, this struck a chord with me in a way I don't remember the series doing -- both the overwhelming sense of adventure and dread. I don't know if that's because it worked better edited into film format, or if prior experience with the show helped contextualize a concentrated re-telling.

Either way, I had a great time with this.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 1, 2021 10:47 AM

Dec 2015
A good recap movie. I'm not sure how much there was cut as it's been almost 3 years since I watched the TV anime, but I don't think it would be much if something was indeed cut, considering the movie is a whopping 2 hours long.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 29, 2021 11:13 AM

Nov 2008
SouthRzVa said:
The decision of not using both "Hanezeve Caradhina" and "Pathway" in their respective first scenes was kinda disappointing tho.

This. The sunrise scene at the beginning is a massive downgrade compared to TV.

SouthRzVa said:
Still can't believe how Torka managed to win Lyza's heart

"The way to a maiden's heart is through her stomach" She complimented his cooking so there's that.

AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Jul 2, 2022 5:14 AM

May 2020
just finished watching this
put it off till s2 was about to air
pretty good recap
can't wait for s2 to start

Jul 4, 2022 7:50 AM

Sep 2018
Still really good, but obviously didn't hit the same as when I watched the TV show for the first time. A nice two movie recap just before the 2nd season begins. 8/10.
Jul 27, 2022 3:57 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Not a bad recap this. MAL says that there were a few new scenes added for the introduction and I kind of felt that.

Honestly, it didn’t feel like a lot was omitted. One thing that stood out was the supposed final training from Ouzen but I’m not sure if it was the same in the anime version too.

Hearing some of the osts play was really nice too. For a recap, I would say that this is one of the finest I’ve seen and I’m looking forward to the next in prep for the third movie and 2nd season.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 2, 2022 7:52 PM
Jul 2021
Obvious cash grab is obvious. Imagine going to the cinema and wasting your hard earn money and precious time to basically watch around five minutes of new material, people have really become dumb beyond words.
And this obnoxious cash grab has a score of 8.14 on MAL. ROFL, MAL is full of/run by cartels/mafias ranking up certain anime because reasons.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Aug 19, 2022 4:45 PM
May 2020
irrelevant note but ozen is a baddie
Aug 27, 2022 2:14 PM
Oct 2017
good for a resume of the season
Aug 27, 2022 11:27 PM

Feb 2014
Watched the TV show years ago but from what I remember this is pretty much the same thing (as expected as a recap lol)

The part in Ozen's chamber was intense damn I forgot Riko was a stillborn O_o

I have a feeling that the bunny-looking dude at the very end is Lyza...idk they just kinda remind me of each other

I really enjoyed it just like the series so 9-10/10!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2023 6:13 PM

Apr 2021
Nice summary! I thought there was going to be a full anime episode. 8/10
Dec 7, 2023 11:44 PM

Nov 2023
Big recap movie? What

More topics from this board

» Help me.....

El-Psy__Congroo - Jan 28, 2022

7 by Xileop »»
Oct 16, 2022 6:19 PM

» Does this have new tracks?

APolygons2 - Sep 9, 2022

1 by Tomek-Masiewicz »»
Sep 9, 2022 1:56 AM

» Why the low score?

PKDMO - Jan 24, 2019

21 by Dawizz »»
Aug 2, 2022 7:54 PM

» Sub or Dub

Konan_Edogawa_ - Mar 25, 2019

5 by WhyDontYouTurn »»
Jan 11, 2021 10:05 PM

» Discussion

moozooh - Mar 19, 2018

34 by D3viLord »»
Dec 30, 2019 2:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.