Forum Settings
Forums

Do you record skipped fillers when 'completing' anime?

New
Mar 16, 2019 7:04 AM
Jul 2018
If there is an anime where you haven't actually watched all the episodes, but completed it, would you record it as having watched all the episodes?

For example, Naruto Shippuden was an anime with an enormous amount of fillers (roughly 43%), and since I wasn't interested in watching fillers, I just skipped them. However, on my list I simply recorded it as having watched all 500 episodes.

The same concept is applicable for manga, e.g. when you get to a certain point of an anime and decide to start reading the manga. Do you record the amount of chapters you actually read, or the total amount of chapters released?

I know this may seem like a petty issue, but it's been bugging me for a while. Would it be better to actually list the amount of episodes you've watched/ chapters you've read to give an accurate depiction of days watched/read, or does it not matter?
removed-userMar 16, 2019 8:04 AM
Mar 16, 2019 8:24 AM

Dec 2017
Well I record fillers as well. I mean everyone agrees that those fillers from naruto are horrible I have skipped like 70% of fillers in that anime. but still completed story and recorded it as completed. I don't do the same for manga though.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Mar 16, 2019 8:30 AM

Feb 2010
I only skipped fillers in two shows, Naruto and Bleach, and yeah I have those as completed.

With manga there are also two cases on my list, but I just have a note in the tag section that says I continued on from where the anime ended.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 16, 2019 10:15 AM
Jul 2018
I skip some fillers in shippuden when the war with Madara. And yeah, I put Naruto as completed because I watched like 85% of its fillers.

I read the manga from the start even if I have completed the anime. But I just fast reading the adapted chapters when the they're so similar with the adaptation. If I find the chapter is new to me or can't remember the scene well, I still read them normally. I tend to encounter the manga first before anime though.
Mar 16, 2019 11:49 AM
Oct 2018
yes, technically i finished the story so I consider it completed
Mar 16, 2019 11:50 AM

Sep 2018
Fillers don't even count as part of the anime. They are usually completely useless.
Mar 16, 2019 11:52 AM

Jul 2017
The way I see it fillers are just meant to be side stuff that have little to no relevance to the actual story (from the viewer's side).

In other words, you could completely skip all of them and still praise/shit talk it without being out of the loop on something. So yeah it doesn't matter if you mark it as completed even with all of the fillers skipped
Mar 16, 2019 11:54 AM

Feb 2018
I just list those shows as completed.
Mar 16, 2019 11:56 AM

Sep 2011
Only recap episodes. Like, they're more pointless than fillers.

Mar 16, 2019 12:11 PM

Aug 2016
Skipping fillers does not equal completing the anime.

The only time it should be acceptable is saying it's "completed", but do the (episodes watched - fillers skipped) / total
Mar 16, 2019 12:13 PM
May 2018
I don't wanna offend anyone, but no matter how hard I try, I can't help, but consider people who skip fillers as worst kind of scum, irredeemable garbage who should have never being born.

This isn't hatred, or malice; I simply naturally react that way.

Like, when someone writes stuff such as "I skipped fillers in Naruto.", my brain automatically recognizes this user as biggest filth in the universe.

Not sure why is it so, but I never managed to look at those users as human beings.
Mar 16, 2019 2:11 PM

Dec 2012
Yes, I've done that for a few things, but that's only been for really long shows with long stretches of boring filler. That's really only like 4 or 5titles. It has no relevance to the plot so it has roughly the same (null) value whether I skip it or watch it.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 16, 2019 5:16 PM

May 2018
"Do you record skipped fillers when 'completing' anime?"
I never skip fillers but this is actually a stupid practice so don't do like me kids!
Mar 16, 2019 6:57 PM

Mar 2017
If the "filler episodes" are in fact unique narrative content that may not be important to the primary plot of the series, that's not good enough for me. Either watch them or track the series as incomplete. But if the episodes are recaps or clip shows that consist almost entirely of content covered in other episodes, then it's acceptable.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Mar 17, 2019 7:19 AM

Jan 2017
I skipped most Fillers on both Naruto Shippuden and Bleach but I marked them as Completed.
So , yep.
"In this world, wherever there is light – there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exists, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars, and hatred is born to protect love."
-Madara Uchiha

Mar 17, 2019 7:32 AM

Feb 2013
That's why I don't skip fillers, I feel "good" with myself after.
Mar 17, 2019 7:36 AM

Jan 2016
Oh no not this again. You can do whatever you want, it's your account and no one cares, tf
Mar 17, 2019 7:38 AM
Jul 2018

mwalimu said:
If the "filler episodes" are in fact unique narrative content that may not be important to the primary plot of the series, that's not good enough for me. Either watch them or track the series as incomplete. But if the episodes are recaps or clip shows that consist almost entirely of content covered in other episodes, then it's acceptable.

I get where you come from. With the example of Naruto Shippuden, the majority of fillers
are original, and so it would be like 200 episodes recorded that you haven't actually watched, or around 2.8 days of extra watch time.
Mar 17, 2019 7:39 AM
Jul 2018
Detective1412 said:
Oh no not this again. You can do whatever you want, it's your account and no one cares, tf

I realise that; I'm just interested to see what other people think about the matter and what they do in regards to it :)
Mar 17, 2019 7:41 AM

Feb 2019
i have never skipped a filler, not a big fan of skipping it.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Mar 17, 2019 7:49 AM

May 2014
I'd probably set it as completed and put a note in the tags that says i skipped the fillers. It would annoy me though since i like my list to be as accurate as possible. Even though it's probably missing a few of my re-watches i can't remember already.
Mar 17, 2019 7:58 AM

Jul 2015
It really just depends on how much you care about these things. I've skipped the filler on Naruto Shippuden, but not the original Naruto (didn't know fillers were a thing back then) and I marked both as complete because I'm not petty or care enough to eternally have the fillers skipped - total shows up on my list.

I'm really surprised by the amount of people here who think this practice is dishonest in some way. Do you have some investment in how many days other people have watched? Do you see it as some sort of competition? Or are you measuring some form of self-worth on how much anime you've watched?
Mar 17, 2019 8:02 AM

Jul 2015
Psajdak said:
I don't wanna offend anyone, but no matter how hard I try, I can't help, but consider people who skip fillers as worst kind of scum, irredeemable garbage who should have never being born.

This isn't hatred, or malice; I simply naturally react that way.

Like, when someone writes stuff such as "I skipped fillers in Naruto.", my brain automatically recognizes this user as biggest filth in the universe.

Not sure why is it so, but I never managed to look at those users as human beings.

Yikes. You should get that checked out.
Mar 17, 2019 8:04 AM

Dec 2015
No, I do not record them as completed, because I didn't complete them. That's why I watch the fillers. If I were to ever skip them, I would probably just note that I didn't actually finish it.

fancyjasper said:
I'd probably set it as completed and put a note in the tags that says i skipped the fillers. It would annoy me though since i like my list to be as accurate as possible. Even though it's probably missing a few of my re-watches i can't remember already.

That's exactly how I feel.
--Milo--Mar 17, 2019 11:29 AM
Mar 17, 2019 8:07 AM
Jul 2018
Milomite said:
No, I do not record them as completed, because I didn't complete them. That's why I watch the fillers. If I were to ever skip them, I would probably just note that I didn't actually finish it.

I think that's what I'll start doing, since I've skipped a substantial amount of fillers (Naruto, Bleach etc).
Mar 17, 2019 8:12 AM

Oct 2015
I skipped the Naruto fillers and put it completed, but i only put 130 in watched. I dont want 90 episodes that i havent actually watched on my list.

Ill do the same with Shippuden and put watched 300/500.
Mar 17, 2019 9:10 AM

Aug 2018
Well, thanks for asking this. This question was bugging me too.
Yes, I also record those episodes of Detective Conan that I've skipped (mainly Anime-Originals) as having "watched" in my list. That's because such episodes mostly don't have any relation to the main plot of the series and, as another user in this forum pointed out, have null value.
Mar 17, 2019 11:31 AM

Dec 2015
goodguygreg said:
Well, thanks for asking this. This question was bugging me too.
Yes, I also record those episodes of Detective Conan that I've skipped (mainly Anime-Originals) as having "watched" in my list. That's because such episodes mostly don't have any relation to the main plot of the series and, as another user in this forum pointed out, have null value.

Why would you skip anime originals in Detective Conan? There's no point in doing that.
Mar 17, 2019 11:57 AM

Aug 2018
Milomite said:
Why would you skip anime originals in Detective Conan?
Because I wanted to get into the series for the story but found the insanely high episode count and 2-decade long history daunting. Those Anime-Originals were not “must watch” episodes, but rather the ones I could afford to miss depending on the aspects of the series I was trying to follow, that is, the main plot and major character developments. Although I did watch a few of the Anime-Originals such as New Year Specials, I couldn't convince myself to go through all those tons of episodes.
Mar 17, 2019 1:51 PM

Dec 2015
goodguygreg said:
Milomite said:
Why would you skip anime originals in Detective Conan?
Because I wanted to get into the series for the story but found the insanely high episode count and 2-decade long history daunting. Those Anime-Originals were not “must watch” episodes, but rather the ones I could afford to miss depending on the aspects of the series I was trying to follow, that is, the main plot and major character developments. Although I did watch a few of the Anime-Originals such as New Year Specials, I couldn't convince myself to go through all those tons of episodes.

You shouldn't watch Detective Conan based off the "Black Organisation" story because it only shows up every few dozen episodes. The story you should be watching mainly is basically the murder mysteries being solved by Conan. There is no point in skipping anime originals because there are made with the same concept with majority of the manga 'files/episodes'. If you skip anime originals, you might as well skip majority of the manga as well. From how I see it, the side story is what makes Detective Conan and the main story is there to give the show something to lean on.

TL;DR - Treat it like an episodic show, don't watch for the main story.
--Milo--Mar 17, 2019 1:56 PM
Mar 17, 2019 1:57 PM

Aug 2018
I only skipped Naruto's filler, and I counted them.
Mar 18, 2019 1:29 AM

Aug 2018
Milomite said:
You shouldn't watch Detective Conan based off the "Black Organisation" story because it only shows up every few dozen episodes. The story you should be watching mainly is basically the murder mysteries being solved by Conan. There is no point in skipping anime originals because there are made with the same concept with majority of the manga 'files/episodes'. If you skip anime originals, you might as well skip majority of the manga as well. From how I see it, the side story is what makes Detective Conan and the main story is there to give the show something to lean on.

TL;DR - Treat it like an episodic show, don't watch for the main story.
Yeah, I understand the essence of the show is the mysteries and cases and Conan solving them. I guess I was too curious about the main story. Anyways, since those AOs are not sequential, I may binge-watch them later when I get free time. :-)
Mar 18, 2019 1:33 AM

Jan 2013
I skipped some Gintama episodes and still marked it as completed, but idk it was like 10 at most out of 350 total. I probably wouldn't mark a show as completed if I skipped almost half of it, but anyway I don't have this problem because I don't watch anime that have lots of fillers in the first place.
fuyukiMar 18, 2019 1:44 AM
Mar 18, 2019 1:40 AM

Jun 2016
The fillers in naruto suck donkey balls i was so bored with them,that sometimes I've skipped more than 50 episodes in a raw,and that doesn't speak that much about the quality of the canon content,which also sucks but to a lesser extent.
Mar 18, 2019 2:04 AM

Oct 2010
I didn't skip any fillers, sometimes they are fun. I watched all the crappy naruto fillers, the one with the ostrich, mecha, Karin, the weird love bugs that hinata wanted.
Mar 18, 2019 2:10 AM

Apr 2011
Yes, I do put the anime as completed if I've seen through the entirety of the canon material, but have yet to see the filler. It's not a competition, I don't see why I should bother doing otherwise.
Mar 18, 2019 2:12 AM

Apr 2017
naruto sure did have a lot of fillers that were so annoying to watch, but i don't skip fillers.
there shouldn't be a problem setting naruto as completed even though you skipped the fillers, what's important is that you've seen all the episodes that were actually relevant to the plot.
Mar 18, 2019 3:03 AM

May 2018
Milomite said:

There is no point in skipping anime originals

Well the point is that they are usually badly written (with very few exceptions) and have nothing in common with Gosho Aoyama's types of stories or logical puzzles.
Also usually they have subpar production values.
Mar 18, 2019 3:52 AM

Mar 2018
Every one of my irl anime watching friends don't watch fillers, me included lol.
Mar 18, 2019 5:26 AM

Oct 2013
Only recap episodes. I have unfortunately, watched all the filler to everything I have completed as I was/am too lazy to go out of my way to avoid them. Yeah, I know it doesn't make sense, but when something like Naruto for example, has tonnes of it. It just becomes annoying for me to go out of my way to skip episodes.
Emrys Helstorm
"Deriving in pleasure from Extreme Cruelty"

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 18, 2019 6:09 AM

Dec 2015
alshu said:
Milomite said:

There is no point in skipping anime originals

Well the point is that they are usually badly written (with very few exceptions) and have nothing in common with Gosho Aoyama's types of stories or logical puzzles.
Also usually they have subpar production values.

From what I've noticed, they are pretty similar to the normal ones. I mean there isn't such a big difference with the stories, they are pretty different by still generalized at the same time. Sure they may be lower quality, but not by much and it's still worth watching.
Mar 18, 2019 9:56 AM

Jan 2017
I skipped all the Bleach fillers and put it in completed section. Since fillers dont add to the main story, it doesnt matter whether u watch them or not.
Mar 18, 2019 10:42 AM

May 2016
Yes, I usually skip all non-canon content that I find boring and adds nothing to the main plot, but I treat the anime as completed anyways.

I also proceed to disregard those types of filler when rating the anime.
HyperLMar 18, 2019 10:49 AM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Mar 18, 2019 11:11 AM

Dec 2016
I mean... You didn't complete the anime if you skipped fillers. Those fillers are still part of the anime, and whether you loved them or hated them, they should still be factored into the rating of the anime. You can't watch all of Bleach, skip the fillers, and then say, "Bleach was great!" because you didn't actually watch the 'bad' parts (though some of Bleach's fillers were pretty good tbh).

At the very least, if you're going to skip fillers and still mark the anime as completed, you should only say you watched the number of episodes that you actually watched and subtract the fillers from your total.

What's the difference?
Mar 18, 2019 11:34 AM

Jul 2015
No, when I watch an anime series, I watch the entire series, fillers and all!

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

107 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
37 seconds ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 39 minutes ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
50 seconds ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

65 by LostSpectre »»
5 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

16 by Archean-Return »»
6 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

192 by FZREMAKE »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.