Forum Settings
Forums

What criteria does an anime have to pass BEFORE you start watching it?

New
Mar 15, 2019 3:33 PM

Mar 2019
For me personally, I just read the plot summary to see if the plot is something that I will enjoy watching/binging. I disregard ratings and reviews, also, as I've found that some shows I've come across I've rather enjoyed, despite them having a low(er) rating than average and less positive reviews/popularity.

Curious to see what your guys' criteria are!
Mar 15, 2019 3:37 PM
Feb 2017
I just pick if it sounds interesting, I know, an intense method.
Mar 15, 2019 4:00 PM

Jul 2017
Is it old, short, or obscure?
I'm down to watching it.

also judging an anime by its cover also helps immensely
Mar 15, 2019 4:04 PM

Aug 2016
Prob has to have one of these things

1) High mal score
2) Is from a franchise I already like
3) Has a hot 2D woman
4) The summary given for it is interesting.
5) It is from Madhouse/Whitefox/Bones
Mar 15, 2019 4:11 PM

Jun 2015
It needs to not drop all of it's episodes at once, not be a sequel/spin-off to something I haven't seen or have already dropped, be listed in the seasonal list on mal, and be reasonably easy for me to download. If those are met then I will at least start the first episode, I often don't make it very far into that episode, but I'll start it.
Mar 15, 2019 4:15 PM

Jul 2015
rated higher than 7.5
decent art
no tsundere/himedere or any arrogant/abusive female lead
no whore female lead
no harem
tragedydesuMar 15, 2019 4:18 PM
Mar 15, 2019 4:16 PM
Feb 2010
I am just like you I tend to read the summary/plot and ignore all reviews on it, if it's interesting and has my attention I'll watch it if it doesn't I don't watch it and pretty much move on from their.

Mar 15, 2019 4:20 PM

Aug 2017
1) exists
2) have heard of it before
3) doesnt look like a bore
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2019 4:24 PM

Sep 2018
No harems unless I'm forced to or have heard really good things about it. Also if someone tells me it's about a guy that is a loser but secretly OP I won't watch that shit either because it's probably gonna be some generic shit plot with trash characters that never get developed.
Mar 15, 2019 4:30 PM

Oct 2013
Does it include any of the following genre:
Action
Fantasy
Adventure
Sci-Fi
Supernatural
If so,I'll probably give it a try.

If it doesn't I may still watch if it looks interesting enough to me.
Mar 15, 2019 5:00 PM
Jul 2018
I pick it if the synopsis sounds interesting. Its MAL score, age, or really anything else is completely irrelevant.
Mar 15, 2019 5:10 PM

Nov 2011
(1) Good reviews.
Not just consensus reviews like in Rotten Tomatoes, but by read reviews I can guess which reviewers have "good taste" or not.. It even doesn't have to be a systematic review, sometimes chattering in a thread forum what good about a particular anime is enough..
(2) Plot synopsis.
I usually open to any kind of story, it is why this is number two.. But I can't deny that story is still the most important aspect when I watch a show..
(3) Scores.
Sometimes I am too lazy to read many reviews or finding info about anime, so filtering by the score is an easy work..
Jim_HeartMar 15, 2019 5:13 PM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Mar 15, 2019 5:14 PM

Feb 2019
If I'm willing to watch at the moment.
Mar 15, 2019 5:19 PM

Dec 2015
Nothing at all.

This is just to take up 30 letters, sigh.

Mar 15, 2019 5:24 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
the girls have to be cute/sexy

as long as thats the case, ill try the show
Mar 15, 2019 5:48 PM

Sep 2018
None whatsoever. I'll watch anything if I feel like it.
Mar 15, 2019 6:16 PM

Dec 2012
incrobe said:
For me personally, I just read the plot summary to see if the plot is something that I will enjoy watching/binging. I disregard ratings and reviews, also, as I've found that some shows I've come across I've rather enjoyed, despite them having a low(er) rating than average and less positive reviews/popularity.

Curious to see what your guys' criteria are!

I do essentially the same thing, although I also look up a trailer or preview on Youtube for an upcoming show to get a sense of what it looks like.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 15, 2019 6:20 PM

Dec 2015
If it seems cool, or if a lot of people are prasing the show, I watch it. Simple as that
Mar 15, 2019 6:22 PM

May 2018
1. Plot Summary
2. Positive reception of the anime
3. Visual/art style

And in order for me to keep watching it, must be entertaining. Sometimes,a cut scene or meme can get me interested and the above criteria can be neglected. Initially the summary doesn't interest me but Zombieland Saga's rap battle and Hinamatsuri's 'Watashi no smartphone ga' got me interested in it.
Mar 15, 2019 6:26 PM

Aug 2018
1 - It's not a CGDCT show.
2 - It's not an idol show.
3 - I like the genres.

Nothing else.
Mar 15, 2019 7:50 PM

Jul 2013
1. Staff team- Ofc I need to know the certain writer, producer, series composer, director to his pass experience. But if it's new blood or the person did stuff I never watched then anything goes.

2. The art/animation- Obviously appearance is key. If I see that the art is great chances I will like it.

3. Unless it's comedic it can't be episodic- I wanna see a continuing and constant story. Not something just to be forgotten.

Mar 15, 2019 7:55 PM
Mar 2019
At this point if it sounds interesting and has good art I'll watch it or at least check it out. Unless it's a sports or slice of life, I tend to avoid those unless it can grab my attention like Classroom of the Elite did.
Mar 15, 2019 8:03 PM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
Things that mean I probably won't watch it:
-Hentai (that's a no-g0)
-Below a 7.0 score
-A friend/reviewer whose tastes are similar to mine says it was bad
-100+ episodes

Things that mean I probably will watch it:
-Above a 8.0 score
-12 - 24 episodes
-Cute boys in the show
-Has tags of genres I like (mystery, thriller, shounen ai, slice of life, sports stuff like that)
-A friend/reviewer whose tastes are similar to mine says it was good

Mar 15, 2019 8:05 PM
Jan 2017
Above a 7 on MAL generally, or above a 6.5 if I have recommendations from friends. Can’t have the Yaoi or BL tags. Needs to look at least passably recent, preferably modern. Oh yeah, and can’t be from Toei or Pierot.
Mar 15, 2019 8:10 PM

Oct 2017
I mostly look at the cover photo and the tags.
Mar 15, 2019 8:22 PM

May 2009
For me to add a show to my PTW, it generally has to fit one of these criteria, but they're pretty lax and any one will do, generally:

* character art that I like (sci-fi art can help but isn't the only thing I like)
* theme song that I like (trancepop with strong melodies? yes)
* setting premise that I like (usually something fantasy)
* story premise that I like (usually something that implies hints of melancholy)
* soundtrack that I like (this could be a huge variety of things honestly)
* something about it intrigues me (because we don't have enough catch-all categories here already)
* recommendation from a friend (sometimes)

The reputation or reported quality of a show are basically ignored.

For me to actually go watch something, on the other hand, I basically have to have all of these criteria:

* be in the mood to watch it.
* have the time to watch it.
* not have another thing I'm already watching and want to finish instead. (to some limited extent, but it's pretty common for me to start something new/else anyway.)
* find the right moment to watch it (for some series, particularly the ones I'm more serious about wanting to enjoy).
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 15, 2019 8:23 PM

Apr 2015
Interest me by either having a fascinating synopsis or being something controversial in the community.
Done.
Mar 15, 2019 8:30 PM
Sep 2017
I usually filter by genre, if it looks unique/interesting, if the length is something I'm good investing in, and if it's on a platform I use (like Crunchyroll). I often just find my own things completely randomly when I'm in the mood, but I sometimes take recommendations from friends or watch something that is brand new. I don't like watching more than 4-5 series at once though.
Mar 15, 2019 8:50 PM

May 2016
1 - Story
2 - Art
3 - Emotions

2 - I like the current anime art, compared to the ones back in the 1990s.

3 - Being able to relate with the characters, gives the viewers/readers a sensible connection.
"A person who thinks all the time has nothing to think about except thoughts. So, he loses touch with reality and lives in a world of illusions."

一 Alan Watts

Mar 15, 2019 8:52 PM

May 2016
1. Does it clearly and obviously not look like a piece of shit?

2. If you've failed #1, it's probably because you're popular and/or you're from a studio I respect, and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 15, 2019 8:57 PM

Jun 2017
Not too old artstyle/audio looks intresting or a cute best girl
Mar 15, 2019 9:17 PM

Oct 2013
Mar 16, 2019 12:32 AM
Jul 2018
1. no lolis
2. no yaoi⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Mar 16, 2019 12:36 AM

May 2015
Just two:

1. Needs to be subbed or dubbed (preferably subbed) so that I can understand it.
2. Must have all episodes available. The exception is if the anime is currently airing.
Mar 16, 2019 2:04 AM

Dec 2009
If it has any of my favourite genres, I'll watch it.
If not but the promotional picture interest me enough, I'll watch it.
Mar 16, 2019 2:11 AM

Feb 2018
Atm i only watch adaptations of manga I like, and sequels to shows I like.
Mar 16, 2019 2:26 AM

Jan 2018
I mean there's a few things I look for, but it's definitely not like all of these have to apply to a show for me to watch it. However, if it fits all 4 categories then it's a must-watch for me.

#1: Synopsis sounds good. I never go in completely blind. I'm a good judge of whether or not I'll like something, but if I'm on the fence I may even watch a short spoiler-free review to get a better idea.

#2: It was a recommendation. My closer friends typically know what I like, so I trust their suggestions (for the most part, lol).

#3: Not less than a 7 on MAL. The fact that most people score way too high is a pretty clear indicator that most things under a 7 are going to suck, but I might give it a chance if it's obscure.

#4 Praised by critics. I'm not a critic myself, nor do I trust every critical opinion whatsoever (looking at you FLCL), but typically shows that fit this mold have a certain level of artistic depth and symbolism that I really enjoy in the stories I watch. Ping Pong is a great example of something I watched solely based on critics, and it's one of my newest favorites.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Mar 16, 2019 2:31 AM

May 2015
Sifedo said:
Will probably sound stupid but the main criteria for me is the cover, I watch an anime if the cover looks interesting usually.
Not a 100% accurate but without going into to much details, accurate enough.

Why should it be considered stupid when just looking at the cover most of the time you can tell the genres, the animation style and the age bracket of the audiance the anime is aimed at and it gives a general and summarized "feeling" of the story and atmosphere (after all that is what the main purpose of a cover just like in the cases of books or movies).
Mar 16, 2019 2:36 AM

Oct 2014
It's usually enough for me to read the synopsis. If it sounds even a bit interesting I'll give it a try; it's harder for me to find something I don't want to watch (except for the genres I dislike of course). That's it.

No wait, I lied. At first I take a look at the cover. If there's only one male and a bunch of females, the chances that I'll check it out drops rapidly. Especially if the girls show a lot of skin.
ChromatusMar 16, 2019 3:35 AM
Mar 16, 2019 2:43 AM

Aug 2011
Usually I just try out of curiosity but then I try to figure and seeing these :

1. Interesting plot / story
2. From a well known studios or my fave studios
3. Has some of my fave voice covers
4. Usually also has a nice OP / ED(s) from a well known band as well

**☾**
Mar 16, 2019 2:51 AM

Dec 2018
I looked at the cover first then the score (I wouldn't watch anything below 6) -> the synopsis -> how many episodes (I don't wanna watch anything beyond 2 cours nowadays) -> what genres -> airing date (below 2011 is a no). Sometimes I looked for what score my friends gave it.

"O kawaii koto"
( ´• ᴗ •` )

I wish i could love myself~

Mar 16, 2019 3:05 AM

Dec 2018
It depends on the anime,if its a Yuri all mc needs to be females before i even consider watching it ,sometimes i go outside my favorite box but not often , like it when my anime is soft and feminine =) so cute
Mar 16, 2019 10:25 AM

May 2013
If it has none of these in it : Harem, food, music, yaoi, yuri, shoujo ai, shounen ai.

and preferably it's a complete adaptation with little to no loose ends.

ez
Truly a Divine Comedy
Mar 16, 2019 10:30 AM

Sep 2015
No special crtieria, I pick mostly based on genre and poster.
Mar 16, 2019 11:08 AM

Oct 2008
1. It needs to look good (character design)

2. It has to have character development, or 180 degrees personality change in the mc, or an interesting plot or an original plot or a controversial plot (I don't really care)

3. Backstory - this I do care about. The mc's backstory or some other character's backstory, also it needs to be interesting and compelling, to make up for a shitty plot and it's development.

And well the end is not important here.
Mar 16, 2019 11:13 AM

Aug 2014
im pretty lenient when it comes to watching new anime.

however, i wont watch something that's rated below a 7 (usually; there have been some exceptions to this like ore twintail ni narimasu and mikagura school suite, etc). sometimes, if the synopsis is a bit iffy, i might not watch it if it's below a 7.3.

if someone has recommended the show to me though, ill likely give it a shot.

i love shows w fluid animation or unique and fun art styles, also bubbly characters. i tend to hardcore judge series by their covers. idk dude. anime is anime.

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

103 by Adnash »»
4 minutes ago

» Opensource app app for watching anime and reading manga

nikhuge1994 - 6 minutes ago

0 by nikhuge1994 »»
6 minutes ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 10 hours ago

11 by LoveYourEyes »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - Apr 18

20 by StyxParadise »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

101 by PostMahouShoujo »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.