Forum Settings
Forums

Which anime you thought was most unfortunately waste it's potential

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 16, 2019 4:32 PM

Dec 2017
Last 8 episodes of Kare Kano, although the rest of the series makes up for it

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Mar 16, 2019 4:45 PM

Aug 2018
Derida who leaps trought time.
How do you make such a bad time travel story?

Mekakucity Actors.
It sticked to harshly to the novels, Kuroha was too sudden and too short, Ayano never deserved so much screen time neither her ending, the little kid and the little girl were butchered, Shintaro was cuffed with his underwears to a bed (because anime).
Many characters were brushed off into nothingness even tought they all are main characters.
Ene getting a power with no drawback was bs (what is this some kind of shounen? Also the whole point of the Kagerou Project was how each character goes trough a trauma in consequence to his powers), Ayano was on too many scenes and the representation of Momo's story was too lame.
Too many scenes were tastelessly edgy (i love edgy shit but there is some limit and that limit is the lack of self awareness).

Imouto Paradise 2
Why only 2 sisters bruh...

Jitsu wa Watashi wa
The anime focused too much into gags (the faces were better drawn in the manga too) and never pushed the story forward (ending without showing Ch 34 should have been ilegal), they even slapped an anime original ending.

Hand Shakers.
The biggest example of wasted potential.
The plot was setting up some kind of 2 vs 2 battle royale with several limitations.
Yet this is never used, almost no character fights while keeping contact with his partner.
There wasnt a sense of danger since no one died or got severely hurt at any moment.
There could have been smart ways to "ignore" the hand holding rule like i dunno keeping in contact with the other trough a rope (red string of fate?), switching clothes.
The characters could have switched their fighting style while they were together (the union giving them a new set of skills and canceling their independant powers).
The abilities used were boring as hell "Saying a card name allows me to explode shit", "Speed and strenght and a sword", "Bouncing explosions", "A shit ton of speed and strenght".
CordobezEverdeenMar 16, 2019 4:50 PM
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Mar 16, 2019 6:32 PM

Mar 2017
Big Fish & Begonia (Da Yu Hai Tang).
The world building is absolutely fantastic, amazing art and animation, the story had everything to be one of the most touching i've ever seen, but it was SO badly executed that i feel kinda sad every time i remember this anime.
Mar 16, 2019 6:48 PM
Jul 2018
DRAMAtical Murder. Interesting concept, Likable characters, Fashionable music.
But story is quite terrible. I didn't understand whole development. What a shame.
Mar 16, 2019 7:02 PM

Dec 2013
Yamato 2199 is a for the most part solid series, but the final two episodes set up a stupid plot point that's resolved in such a ridiculous way that is smears something that could've been a masterpiece. It's made worse because it's so unnecessary and melodramatic that it doesn't even match up with the rest of series. To make matters even worse still, this follows yet another unnecessary revelation that is also pretty bad in the final 4-5 episodes of the series.

It had the potential to be among the best in the genre, but the final episodes made it just a "good entry"
Mar 16, 2019 8:11 PM

Feb 2017
Gangsta.

It started out so great but crashed and burned in the last 3-4 episodes :(
Mar 17, 2019 7:06 AM

Jun 2016
Ik it's a dead horse at this point but SAO had a ton of potential simply from its premise that was barely ever capitalized on. Instead it decides to go down the route of a developing romance that shows bits of their relationship across a timespan of 2+ years and leaving most of the worldbuilding, character development, thematic depth, etc. which could have been explored to the level of an epic fantasy untapped and up in the air.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2019 7:10 AM

Jul 2012
AndoCommando said:
Ik it's a dead horse at this point but SAO had a ton of potential simply from its premise that was barely ever capitalized on. Instead it decides to go down the route of a developing romance that shows bits of their relationship across a timespan of 2+ years and leaving most of the worldbuilding, character development, thematic depth, etc. which could have been explored to the level of an epic fantasy untapped and up in the air.

Developing a romance is part of character development though. Just because you've never experienced romance in your life and had time to develop a child like Asuna and a chad like Kirito, does not mean there isn't substantive progress in their character arcs. Perhaps if you were to isekai yourself, then you could have a more open mind to explore the thematic depth in Sword Art Online.
Mar 31, 2019 7:15 AM

Jul 2017
I choose Zankyou no Terror. It was great til Five showed up.

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Mar 31, 2019 7:15 AM

Apr 2014
pupa comes to mind. a lot of people were psyched it would be some horror thriller thing but it turns out it was just a gross short
Mar 31, 2019 7:27 AM

Jan 2018
Psytrance said:
Fairy Tail, I mean why use the concept of ultra powerful wizards beating each other with magically infused fists with martial arts passed on by literal dragons so they can stop a guy that is the literal embodiment of death if you're going to turn it into a fan service riddled,corny, generic shonen anime.

Sundeku said:
Definitely Fairy Tail. Had the potential to be one of the best anime, and was one of it's kind.

Fairy Tail's potential was huge as fuuucccccckk!!! The world was so fucking interesting (Wizards, Guilds, Dark Guilds, Dragons... it's like one of Tolkien's wet dreams!), The characters were interesting (a team filled with a bunch of troublemakers kinda like One Piece? Sign me up!), and most of all, It could've been a really great ADVENTURE ANIME!! (There are GUILD QUESTS LIKE FUCKING DRAGON AGE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!)

It's really a massive disappointment. I could rant for hours about how Fairy Tail screwed the pooch in a colossal way...
Dave_AdrianMar 31, 2019 7:40 AM

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 31, 2019 7:36 AM

Jan 2018
High School DxD actually had massive potential. It could've been SO MUCH MORE than just a dumb harem ecchi series.

The world of DxD is just massive! There are angels, fallen angels, devils, Norse gods, Hindu gods and more! The potential is like fucking GOD OF WAR level here... but, we get fucking Oppai Dragon instead...and dumb ez power-ups... and a harem of women lacking self-respect... and a technique called BOOB CANNON...

Mar 31, 2019 7:48 AM
Jul 2018
Dave_Adrian said:
High School DxD actually had massive potential. It could've been SO MUCH MORE than just a dumb harem ecchi series.

The world of DxD is just massive! There are angels, fallen angels, devils, Norse gods, Hindu gods and more! The potential is like fucking GOD OF WAR level here... but, we get fucking Oppai Dragon instead...and dumb ez power-ups... and a harem of women lacking self-respect... and a technique called BOOB CANNON...

LOL you're actually right. Yours is probably the best post on here.
Mar 31, 2019 7:55 AM

Jan 2018
HungryForQuality said:
Dave_Adrian said:

LOL you're actually right. Yours is probably the best post on here.

Thanks for agreeing m8... Im really fucking salty bout that BOOB CANNON... let me repeat that....

BOOB CANNON

Mar 31, 2019 7:57 AM

May 2013
Dave_Adrian said:

You pretty much summarized every piece of bitching I was about to put against HS DxD.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Mar 31, 2019 8:06 AM

Jan 2018
KreatorX said:
Dave_Adrian said:

You pretty much summarized every piece of bitching I was about to put against HS DxD.

BOOB CANNON is a technique where Rias's TITS SHOOTS OUT FUCKING LAZOR BEAMS... Not even Michael Bay could come up with that...

Seriously, Boob cannon is really fucking crossing the line... I lost all hope on that series after the author decided to make... BOOB CANNON

Mar 31, 2019 8:22 AM

May 2008
After all this time Soul Eater couldve been a great fucking potential
Mar 31, 2019 8:25 AM

Jul 2016
Shigofumi and I can’t stress that enough. The first 3-4 episodes were amazing. I loved every second and thought it was gonna be a new favorite, but the direction they took was absolutely awful. Should have kept it as an episodic “introduce this person then they die” type show
Mar 31, 2019 8:27 AM

Mar 2016
Burst Angel could have been a nice dose of mindless fun if it kept the dynamic it had going in the beginning, but it switched gears way too often and crumbled under its own weight.
Mar 31, 2019 8:49 AM
Jul 2018
halcyon- said:

Exactly my feelings. I remember ranting and geting all annoyed by her every episode that came after. Like I hate she excited in the anime.
Mar 31, 2019 8:53 AM

Mar 2013
Unpopular opinion most likely but to me that time I got reincarnated into a slime was a huge disappointment. The first few episodes made me feel like the anime had so much potential to be amazing, but it became rather boring in a sense it was predictable and ZERO plot twists, or anything remotely emotional in the show. It was an okay show.
Mar 31, 2019 9:07 AM

Jan 2016
It's definitely Darling in the Franxx.
Mar 31, 2019 2:46 PM

Aug 2018
Charlotte, It had potential to be a top 5 show for me after the first few episodes but then they threw in that god-awful plot twist
Mar 31, 2019 2:53 PM

Apr 2017
Fairy Tail. No really that shit could be something so fucking epic. But no, Hiro decided to fill it with useless battles vs random enemies without story that everyone forgets.
Mar 31, 2019 2:53 PM

Apr 2016
guilty crown

fairy tail

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai

SAO (especially being introduced to the isekai genre I thought it would be refreshing) turned out to be shit.

Mar 31, 2019 4:07 PM

Apr 2017
Might be a biased opinion but almost every ecchi anime.

I kept watching High School of the Dead, first 3 seasons of DXD, Danmachi and Shinmai Maou No Testament, expecting them to develop into stories they promised in their serious trailers.
I thought ideas like Dress Breaker, decent male character(s) and zombies were unique in anime, BUT THEN THE PLOT NATION ATTACKED. I believe oversexualization kills the potential of an anime, unless they are pure ecchi like Shimoneta and Seitokai Yakuindomo.
But somehow Triage X, not even a decent anime imo, had its ways of maintaining a serious scenario while filling your screen with oversized buttocks. Maybe because it didn't feel like it had much potential to begin with lmao

Also Darling in the Franxx and Guilty Crown.
Mar 31, 2019 4:12 PM

Aug 2017
Fairy Tail.Good settings,bad execution.It was all fan service and friendship power
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2019 4:24 PM

Jun 2015
First that comes to mind is Zankyou no Terror. It had such great first few episodes, awesome art and a very interesting premise, it could've been as good as Death Note. Unfortunately the writing was bad, characters' motivations didn't make much sense and the ending was a disaster. A shame.

Edit:
halcyon- said:
Oh yeah, don't get me started on Five...
AnotherGuyMar 31, 2019 4:32 PM
Mar 31, 2019 4:28 PM

Aug 2018
All this "kind of famous" shonen/seinen anime such as tokyo ghoul, guilty crown, bleach, boku dake ga inai machi, sword art online, fairy tail,...
Enjoy the ride...
Mar 31, 2019 4:38 PM

Oct 2017
I could name quite a lot of shows but the one that stands out for me atm is Violet Evergarden. The story and characters felt so underwhelming for something of that budget. It also just wasn't the right kind of show to fully utilise the visuals imo, why bother animating something so well if 99% of it is walking and curtsies? There were only a couple of scenes where the animation quality felt worth the effort but those were lacking emotional weight because of the rather mediocre sob stories.
Apr 1, 2019 12:49 AM

Nov 2018
Almost all of them. In 99% of anime any one of us could easily improve stories to make them better especially the endings. Finding a good anime with a good ending is nigh-impossible
Apr 1, 2019 2:06 AM

Oct 2018
The obvious choice is SAO but i also feel like a lot of Overlords good qualities went to waste. The story got boring quickly although it was generally interesting at first. Too many useless characters and unnecessary plot points.

Apr 1, 2019 7:57 AM

Mar 2019
SAO - If only it remove shonen cliche, remove harem, remove friendship power, actually make more great rival/support character with their own backstories (or even better, make it like durarara/baccano)

Naruto - same as above. make battles more balanced and complicated like pre-timeskip

Seriously, it's not that I automatically hate shonen, but it's them who usually ruined their own great setting. blah
Apr 1, 2019 7:59 AM

Mar 2019
I really liked Oreimo, but found the authors just ruined it with the ending. Pity as the previous episodes were good.

My anime review website: https://www.takanodan.net
Apr 1, 2019 8:06 AM

Apr 2017
Honestly, what's with all this negativity in people... Why don't you ask "what anime do you think made full use of their potential?"...

On that note tho, I'd say the first Danganronpa anime

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Apr 1, 2019 10:59 AM

Sep 2017
SAO, the concept was really good but poorly executed at the end of the first arc.

Decide once every certain number of years which members of the ruling class will oppress and crush the people in parliament: this is the true essence of bourgeois parliamentarism, not only in the constitutional parliamentary monarchies but in the most democratic republics
- The State and Revolution (September 1917), Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov "Lenin".
Apr 1, 2019 11:17 AM

Dec 2015
Himegoto Secret PRINCEss

Only lasted for 52 minutes (including 6 1/2 mins of intro)

Should have gone on for 5 seasons to cover the manga reasonably.
Apr 1, 2019 11:36 AM

Mar 2016
Everyone here could agree that the Tokyo Ghoul franchises adaptation is seriously wasted. Just being dumped in the wastebin.
Ao no Exorcist has an exciting source material but the 1st season butchered it with that original content.
Darling in The Franxx with that out of no where ending. Could've been a lot better.
Apr 1, 2019 12:58 PM

Dec 2018
Rant time!

Blend-S: I kinda would have liked it if they spent more time on the 'fake' maid personas and less on the...weird, creepy romance between Dino and Maika. It was shockingly boring.

Charlotte: I was really digging the first few episodes, but then it got to its central plot and really lost its charm. Especially with the main character.

Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei The Animation: This makes me sad. The game series is my favorite, but the choice to have only 13 episodes to adapt an entire game with so many details and character moments really ruins it.

Kuroshitsuji II: I didn't love the first season, but this one made me realize how much better the first one really was...horrid ending and new characters are not fun to watch.
Apr 1, 2019 1:03 PM
Jul 2018
Darling in the Franxx, Sword Art Online, Guilty Crown, Zankyou no Terror, SnB: Virgin Soul and the list goes on. Almost every anime that I've rated a 5 or 4 in my list was because of wasted potential.
Apr 1, 2019 1:04 PM
Aug 2018
definitely tokyo ghoul
started off decent then just looked like the studio was too lazy to finish it well
Apr 1, 2019 1:28 PM

Mar 2012
The one that always comes to mind for me for wasted potential is Charlotte. This was a series that NEEDED to be two cours. The first half was really good, but the second half was a rushed mess. I think if it would have been two cours instead of one, it would have been great.
Apr 1, 2019 1:31 PM
May 2018
I think dbz gt could have done a lot better if they had tried to put some more effort into it. The arc with baby could have been alot better if they had put some more background story. Knowing the past histroy of saiyans would have made it better
Apr 1, 2019 1:31 PM

Dec 2015
Waste of potential always reminds me of Koutetsujou no Kabaneri. It had everything to become at least a great show, but it's just an ok experience (mostly because Sawano improved a lot of scenes). The last arc of the show is just terrible
Apr 1, 2019 4:06 PM

Jun 2016
Oof the first one that pops up in my mind is Tokyo Ghoul
Apr 1, 2019 4:18 PM

Oct 2008
One Punch Man

Instead of parodying super heroes (American or otherwise), it could have been an awesome super power shounen series. Potentially better than "Zetman" or "Terra formars".

Gintama

Instead of having it's majority of episodes being filler and parody (comedy), it could have (had the potential) been referred to as a new generation of the big three. Instead we had to settle for "Fairy Tail" and "Boku no hero academia".

These two are the biggest I can think of right now.
Apr 1, 2019 9:33 PM
Aug 2013
Deadman wonderland definitely needs a season 2, I got so emotionally invested in that anime and then it just stopped there was no more episodes and I need answers it's a good anime.

Koutetsujou no kabaneri I think they will make another season eventually but if they don't it's wasted potential with in my opinion being one of the best anime of the year it was released
~AnimeDownUnder~

Apr 4, 2019 5:06 AM
Nov 2018
Well, as I didnt see anybody saying this, I will. Haykiuu could have been even better and wasted a lot of its potential. Amazing animation and soundtrack, it moves you emotionally, the team felt as a family you are part of and after every game I just wanted to play volley.

But, just remember they are 16-18 years old. Defeat, victory and the desire to be stronger are not the only things which affect you at sports. Love relationships, family issues, study and other psychological factors also affect the sport output. In 3 seasons we didnt even see Hinata's family, he and Kageyama trained for several hours everyday without even worrying about exams, friends, girls or everything who wasnt about volley etc... That triggered me.
Eventually, you'll fall into death's embrace anyway, so it's stupid to be bound by useless ideals.

Apr 4, 2019 1:59 PM

Mar 2018
angel egg......................
Apr 4, 2019 2:45 PM
Feb 2015
Monster, the ending sucked, had such a great cast and mystery that just never amounted to much.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which season of Vinland Saga do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 51 minutes ago

6 by MillerEvans23 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Who is the hottest anime mom? (beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - 17 minutes ago

2 by Adnash »»
3 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

182 by Mishiia »»
44 minutes ago

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 8 hours ago

45 by Piromysl »»
55 minutes ago

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

53 by Fancyjasper »»
56 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.