Forum Settings
Forums

What's considered a low Mal Score, I don't watch below 7.5. Im willing too though?, What's your cutoff score?

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
May 17, 2019 12:00 AM
Nov 2018
As I still am a beginner, I'm still careful with watching anything below 8 or 7.90
May 17, 2019 12:02 AM

Apr 2015
This is the best example I can come up with:

***What's consider low rating***

Most MAL users:

Me, an intellectual:
May 17, 2019 12:04 AM

May 2019
Honestly I don't really care about the MAL score. An anime with a 7 rating might be a 10 for me. An anime with a 8 rating might be a 5 for me. It really doesn't matter
May 17, 2019 11:58 AM

Jan 2016
I will try a series at any score; sometimes I find enjoyment out of shows that everyone drops prematurelyーlike Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc to Renkin no Kishi.
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
May 17, 2019 1:33 PM
Jan 2015
I never looked at the score, but I do definitely look at the reviews. If it's consistently scored over 8 I'll most likely watch it.
May 17, 2019 1:43 PM

Jan 2019
Maybe 5 ;)

Useless Text ...........
May 17, 2019 1:49 PM

Feb 2019
I don't have a cutoff score, I don't really care about the ratings on here, since I know there are a bunch of troll accounts and some inflated scores. It's better for me to decide what to watch based on the anime itself, its genre, studio and so on. Since each one has a different way of using the score scale, I think it's the best way.
May 17, 2019 3:02 PM

Feb 2015
what a clusterfuck thread from an alt....

Anyway the cutoff is when the PV doesn't have kawaii big titties onee-san... That's when I know it's going to be shit. So I don't watch it.
May 17, 2019 3:18 PM

Oct 2015
Below 6 I guess, never tried anything below that, Not that I necessarily wouldn't but why would i when there's hundreds of much higher rated ones I haven't seen yet?

6-7 can still be enjoyable, like RobiHachi for example.
May 17, 2019 3:50 PM

Mar 2019
I think that's too high. I liked Citrus a good bit but it's in the high 6 range. I'd say if it's below 6 though it will likely be pretty bad. 7.5 is definitely too high I think the minimum you should consider low is below 7.0.

Yeah I'm guilty of rating everything a 7 if I enjoyed it decently. I should probably explain my ratings in my bio like some people do.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 2019 3:52 PM
Oct 2018
A low score for me is 5 or lower, with 6 being on the borderline of a relatively bad anime.
May 17, 2019 3:53 PM

Mar 2019
Qbeus said:
As I still am a beginner, I'm still careful with watching anything below 8 or 7.90

You're not a beginner you've watched almost 100 animes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 2019 4:01 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i don't care about low score

most of my list is between 5.0 and 7.5, so an 8+ doesn't do anything for me excitement wise
May 17, 2019 4:18 PM

Aug 2018
Having Anime standards purely based on Score is pretty dumb; If you look at the score of an anime on different platforms, you will get different results. I just watch what seems interesting and it's even more interesting to watch that way because sometimes you can find a critically acclaimed series or a "not that high rated" anime that will change you forever. For example, i didn't like Your lie in April but i love the Original Gundam series. A score is just here to tell you how most people feel, it's like degrees, one can say 100 °F is unbearable whereas someone from Africa say its okay. The original Gundam series is the favorite gundam show in japan, in western countries it would probably be something like Gundam 00. Maybe japanese people find enjoyment in different ways (Story? War? Love? Robots?). To conclude what i mean, It's all about perspective.
Zawarudo0079May 17, 2019 4:22 PM
May 17, 2019 4:28 PM
May 2019
i dont have one. i just watch whatever i find to be interesting. any form of art - whether that be music, anime games or paintings - is subjective.
May 17, 2019 4:46 PM
Aug 2018
Honestly my cutoff point is 5.70 because I know awesome shows with that score but I usually watch shows that have at least a 6 score
May 17, 2019 4:47 PM

Sep 2014
Why would you let a bunch of random people decide for you what is good and what not? You should watch what catches your interest, and seeing a low score on a fucking website should never stop you from it.

This is just some bunch of opinions, with majority on this site having very little experience with the medium, being unknowledgeable about it, going together with the circlejerk, and most of all, most probably have completely different taste and value different things than you.

So no, I will not ever decide against watching a show based on a MAL score. Nor will I watch a highly rated show if nothing else interests me about it.

That is not to say a mass collection of opinions like that is completely devoid of value and meaning, because people can only be so different and like different things, but I would never treat it as any sort of guidance. If something interests you, give it a try. Even if its rated super low. At worst you will just drop it and waste an hour or so. You can judge whether you're gonna like a show and find it good pretty accurately with as little as 1 episode.

I've seen enough absolute horseshit scored in high 8s and very solid stuff below 6 as to not care for MAL score further than "oh this thing is rated super high/low, I wonder why?" again. It should never be "oh, 5.5? I can't watch that, it must be trash because people on MAL decided so!"
May 17, 2019 4:52 PM

Jun 2015
To be honest, I only watch shows that catch my interest no matter the score. But I prefer a score of 7.
May 17, 2019 4:53 PM

Jul 2007
The lower the score, the higher the chances of that show actually being enjoyable.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

May 17, 2019 5:10 PM

Dec 2012
Someone who trusts mean scores and lets it decide things to watch for them is probably someone who fails at understanding how statistical mathematics works. The short version is that it's unreliable. it's amalgamating the individual unquantifiable opinions of thousands of users (not all of whom are even legit, there are dual accounts, troll accounts, bots, etc.) who don't even use the same rating scales which is not going to match your individual taste exactly. In my case it results in a few hits but most of the stuff that floats to the top of the list are my equivalent of 7s, 8s, and some 9s. They are not what my top 100 would look like. I strike gold faster by reading plot descriptions and watching trailers.
KruszerMay 17, 2019 5:17 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 17, 2019 7:38 PM
Mar 2016
I generally have my cutoff score at 7.5 as well. I've noticed a great decrease in quality there. They're very poorly executed, but that's just my opinion. There's probably a chance there is an anime under 7.5ish that is really good, but that chance is also very low. Honestly, it's a waste of time.

The people that score the anime purposefully also greatly outnumber the trolls, so I wouldn't say most of these animes are poorly rated. My plan is to watch most of the intriguing anime above 8 n then move downwards.
May 17, 2019 7:52 PM
Jul 2017
I never really take scores seriously. It is fun to watch them rise and fall, but I don’t watch shows based on score. Especially airing anime. The scores change on airing shows every week and there’s no way to know how good or bad it is until the show finishes. So I just watch whatever catches my eye and try to stick with it.
May 17, 2019 8:26 PM

Nov 2016
Everything with score 8,4*+ is not worth for me even to watch (most of them are just too over ranked without anything interesting for me) only few are worth it and best are between 6,7 - 8*
May 17, 2019 8:48 PM

May 2016
i don't really have a cutoff score and i don't really look at it? i'll watch anything if it peaks my interest when reading the plot

。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆。

from the days that i've
lived those i had spent
with you, seemed real

月光
May 17, 2019 10:04 PM

Feb 2012
Eromanga-sensei is below 7 and it's possibly the top series I've watched this year. However if I see something like a mecha anime that was probably made with really terrible CG in the early 2000, I might not be as willing to give it a benefit of a doubt.
May 17, 2019 10:21 PM

Feb 2019
I don't trust MAL scores one bit. Too much hype and fandom seeps into those scores too often, i just watch everything even if it has a low Score.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

May 17, 2019 10:23 PM

Aug 2017
I think shows under 7,8 are mediocre and under 7.6 are bad
May 18, 2019 3:52 AM

Oct 2008
I don't have one, I watch whatever looks good, without looking at the score it's been given by others. I make my decision after watching it and finishing it or drop it after a few episodes. My score is based on my opinion of the anime, after I have finished it. Also I don't give scores to anime I haven't finished.
May 18, 2019 4:21 AM
Jul 2018
I only watch stuff that is scored around 8 or higher. So, I just watch what others consider as good and I don't have to form my own opinion.

Seriously, it's true that most shows under 7, or a low 7, don't catch my interest, since a high percentage of them seem to be from the ecchi genre, is harem-stuff in other ways etc.
But sometimes there are series that catch my interest and there a great bunch of 8+ series that don't.
May 18, 2019 5:27 AM

Nov 2011
Always remember that average score of animes on MAL is nearly a 7 when at the same time MAL itself defined 5 as average.. It's easy to understand why it is not a bad idea to forget the score for all ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
May 18, 2019 6:28 AM

Jul 2013
Just watch what you want lol. What's stopping you?

In my experience though, most anime scored along the 6 mark are bad for the most part. 7 is like the middle ground.
May 18, 2019 6:38 AM
Jul 2018
i don't really care much for the average scores , i usually just watch whatever catches my interest. if its low score i might expect it to be of lower quality than usual, but that's not something that really stops me from watching something
May 18, 2019 10:35 AM
May 2019
Since people on MAL almost never rate anime below seven, seven is the score that indicates the anime is average, 7.5 is slightly good, and 8 is actually good. Six and below almost always never fail to disappoint, so yeah, seven is usually the cutoff score. Seasonals will have it on six though, because MAL users are too shy to rate shows until they're finished, and the ones who rate it are the ones who actually uses the rating system correctly.
May 18, 2019 10:38 AM
Mar 2011
the scoring system is biased toward more popular stuff
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 18, 2019 5:00 PM

Oct 2017
I usually compare an anime's ranking to its popularity to determine how good it might be. If popularity is noticeably higher than the ranking, I proceed with caution. If the ranking is moderately higher than the popularity, I will be more inclined to give it a shot. If both numbers are relatively close to each other, I just determine my choice by if the show looks interesting.
May 18, 2019 5:24 PM
Dec 2017
Luffyskywa1ker said:
With 7 being good and 8 being very good score. I usually watch anime in between those ratings or higher cause I figure If it's lower it probably isn't that good. Now, I've watched so many anime I'm running out of higher rated anime, but I also work so I don't wanna spend my time watching trash anime, when I decide to watch anime. I love anime btw just not enough to sort through something that thousands to hundreds of thousands of people on average gave a bad score to. Ik people have different tastes,but Is this too high of a score? If so how low of a score are you willing to go? It will help me be more open-minded.

never take MAL score seriosly some anime with 6/10 are better than some other with 7/10 some are just underrated and some are jjust overrated so it's best to watch anime that you feel you would like beside thier score

or do like me i just watch random anime than i decide if it's worth or not after 5 episodes, some time i watch even 150 episode if the anime is long before i decide if i should drop it or complete it
May 18, 2019 6:22 PM

Sep 2010
If its finished airing then 7.20 is my cut off for current, recent, or old series unless the synopsis really catches my eye and I go for it anyways. As for classics from the 70s and 80s its more like 6.50 cause of the low userbase for those.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 18, 2019 6:38 PM

Aug 2018
Bunsuke said:
mal scores are a garbage way to decide stuff like this, honestly
very few people use ratings under like 6 for some reason so scores are ridiculously inflated

Probably the main reason scores below 6 are rare is because most people don't bother to rate shows unless they watch an entire season. If a show is bad, you know it within the first 3 eps or so, no reason to continue to subject yourself to punishment.

May 18, 2019 6:39 PM

Mar 2016
Doesn’t matter much to me. I just check whatever looks interesting.
May 18, 2019 8:03 PM
Nov 2017
For me, MAL score is really worth it, and I will give it a shot if it's 8+ for newer and 7.5+ for older (maybe the sequel is another story, like OPM 2, even though it's not worth it but I just want to continue it). I just said that MAL score is worth it because everyone said it doesn't matter; no, for me it does matter. Maybe yeah, it doesn't matter if you just judge just from the first episode, but thanks to MAL score, I watched steins gate until the end, even though it's kinda hurt in the ass for me when I first watch it. The same thing goes with a slow show like monster, jojo, etc. So, if I didn't look at the score, I don't know if the show just being slow or it is just a crap.
May 19, 2019 1:56 AM

Apr 2010
As I find myself watch things with 5+ and rating it much higher... I think that's my minimum usually, if I look at this at all. But sometimes, when I'm uncertain if to watch of not, I think it's more like 6+ or even 7+

May 19, 2019 2:34 AM
Jul 2018
Mal scores don't mean shit since most of the people here only rate things from 7 to 10.
May 19, 2019 2:37 AM

Aug 2015
Anything below 6.50
That is where all the anime dumpsters are and you can barely find any good anime as many of them are just throwaway garbage.
May 20, 2019 7:23 AM

Jan 2017
I don't really care about MAL scores, but sometimes it can be an indicator if I have high or low hopes for the show or movie.
May 23, 2019 8:34 AM

Apr 2019
I don't think your deciding factor on whether you watch a series or not should be a score. 7.5 kind of seems like a pretty high bar. Some ratings for stuff I watched and enjoyed this past month:

Renai Boukun currently sitting at 6.87
Candy Boy is just under 7 at 6.99 atm
Sakura Trick is at 7.13
Happy Sugar Life is sitting at 7.04

I think if it's got a rating below a 6 I'd be more wary of it, but the ratings are just based on a consensus of other people's scores. You shouldn't let that form an opinion for you. People will give a bad review just because there's a theme explored that they don't like.

大好き "I just want to be an ancient demigod loli"
May 23, 2019 8:40 AM

Mar 2018
I take MAL scores with a grain of salt but generally anything less than a 7 on this site tends to be like a 4 or under in reality. Artificial inflation due to people using 7 as an average instead of 5 for some bizarre reason, or from people either rating everything they watch a 10 or thereabout.

May 23, 2019 8:42 AM

Jun 2016
at this point, I've seen enough shows to know that the MAL score doesnt reflect on my taste of shows. I take it into consideration if I'm not sure about watching a show, but normally I dont pay attention to the score at all.
If the Synapsis is interesting enough I'll probably watch a show. If that leaves me indecisive I'll look at the staff and maybe genres. If all that isnt enough to pull me in, or push me away from a show I might consider looking at the score. Or just put it on ptw forever xD
That being said there are next to no shows on MAL that are scored below 6 or even 7, so really whats the point? If you have seen enough shows you'll know whats to your liking and more often then not you'll see if a show is for you or not with the first glance.
rip.
May 23, 2019 9:06 AM

Sep 2018
I really don't bother too much with MAL scores. At times I love stuff rated 6 here and there's anime rated 9 on Mal that I don't like that much.
May 23, 2019 9:50 AM
Apr 2017
Where I live 6 is the bare minimum to get a pass and on mal I generally don't bother with anything below 6. More often just below 6.50 or 7, since votes are hugely inflated as it is anyway. Sure I could find enjoyable shows that are 6 or below but why should I bother scrounging through hundreds or thousands of <6 shows, most of which will be utter garbage to begin with, when I could far more probably find an anime I enjoy among the hundreds scored 7+ that I haven't watched yet?
If it's a seasonal, different kettle of fish entirely. But if it isn't, I'm not hipster enough to go rummaging in a skip just for fun, got better ways to waste my time as it is.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
May 23, 2019 9:55 AM

Nov 2017
I don't really care to much about MAL scores.
I'd rather watch something myself and see if I like it.
ロード中です...

Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 9 hours ago

28 by MasterTasuke »»
11 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

41 by Ende_uraa »»
12 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 11 hours ago

44 by _FRB_ »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 8 hours ago

19 by MasterTasuke »»
22 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

46 by LostSpectre »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.