Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 10, 2019 12:35 PM
Sep 2018
Does anyone else think the twins died at the end? Because:

1. The stuffed rabbit was seen still ripped up in sora's bedroom, when their friends visited their house after they supposedly left. Then when you see them on the train in the end, the rabbit is in one piece and with sora. A rabbit that she keeps as a memento from her mother doesn't seem to be something so easily and quickly replaced.

2. The text message that Kazuha got, you can see there wasn't an email address on it, even though she was reading an email. Yes, in Japan it's easier to text through email than sms. why? you may ask. It might just be easier to cope with loss of two friends, if they all just believe they moved away. They said it themselves, sora and haru were the glue that kept their circle together. It would have been devastating to suddenly lose people like that. Also when she's reading the text, she looks away in the typical anime trope fashion, signaling to the audience that she's lying.

3. Sora and haru don't know how to swim. Even if Sora knew how to swim in the VN, it's evident she couldn't in the anime. She started drowning the second she got into the deep end. There also wasn't any scenes in the show that indicated she could swim and Haru told Nao he needed swimming lessons. Even if Sora even did know how to swim, how exactly would a character frequently described as weak and frail, be able to carry her larger brother out of the water and up some steps when he's fully unconscious? Especially with the fact that when they both started sinking, Sora was powerless to keep them afloat.
Mar 10, 2019 4:13 PM

Dec 2018
I had my doubts at first but now I genuinely believe you're right. The stuffed rabbit thing might have just been an accidental inconsistency, but I find it weird that they'd draw specific attention to it. Same with Haru and Sora being unable to swim, I feel like they wouldn't have established that if it wasn't relevant to the greater story. Coupled with the fact that we never see them escape, and we never see them with any other characters, I feel like there's too much evidence to support this. Even if it wasn't the writers' intention, I feel like this interpretation makes the ending way more interesting tbh.
I MUST SOMEHOW MAKE SENSE OF OUR CONVOLUTED SITUATION
Mar 10, 2019 4:51 PM

Jun 2015
timpark314 said:

1. The stuffed rabbit was seen still ripped up in sora's bedroom, when their friends visited their house after they supposedly left. Then when you see them on the train in the end, the rabbit is in one piece and with sora. A rabbit that she keeps as a memento from her mother doesn't seem to be something so easily and quickly replaced.

2. The text message that Kazuha got, you can see there wasn't an email address on it, even though she was reading an email. Yes, in Japan it's easier to text through email than sms. why? you may ask. It might just be easier to cope with loss of two friends, if they all just believe they moved away. They said it themselves, sora and haru were the glue that kept their circle together. It would have been devastating to suddenly lose people like that. Also when she's reading the text, she looks away in the typical anime trope fashion, signaling to the audience that she's lying.

3. Sora and haru don't know how to swim. Even if Sora knew how to swim in the VN, it's evident she couldn't in the anime. She started drowning the second she got into the deep end. There also wasn't any scenes in the show that indicated she could swim and Haru told Nao he needed swimming lessons. Even if Sora even did know how to swim, how exactly would a character frequently described as weak and frail, be able to carry her larger brother out of the water and up some steps when he's fully unconscious? Especially with the fact that when they both started sinking, Sora was powerless to keep them afloat.
Coach_Koro said:
I had my doubts at first but now I genuinely believe you're right. The stuffed rabbit thing might have just been an accidental inconsistency, but I find it weird that they'd draw specific attention to it. Same with Haru and Sora being unable to swim, I feel like they wouldn't have established that if it wasn't relevant to the greater story. Coupled with the fact that we never see them escape, and we never see them with any other characters, I feel like there's too much evidence to support this. Even if it wasn't the writers' intention, I feel like this interpretation makes the ending way more interesting tbh.

It's been 3 years since I watched this.. but didn't it end like this:

They(Haru And sora) were on a train, left the city and went to be alone together.

That would also explain the title.

In solitude where we are at least alone..
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Mar 10, 2019 5:44 PM
Apr 2018
Uhmm, I can't read Japanese but when the camera focused on the girl's mobile I saw that it said Kasugano Haruka somewhere. I admit that the rabbit and not knowing how to swim is confusing.

The thing is that if they did die, where did their bodies end up? If their friends (or even one of them) knew the siblings died, are we supposed to believe they simply got rid of their corpses?

I think there aren't enough clues to understand the ending, so I prefer to think that they kept on with the wincest in some city in Europe (or wherever they were traveling to).
Mar 10, 2019 5:53 PM
Sep 2018
SaiDrew said:
Uhmm, I can't read Japanese but when the camera focused on the girl's mobile I saw that it said Kasugano Haruka somewhere. I admit that the rabbit and not knowing how to swim is confusing.

The thing is that if they did die, where did their bodies end up? If their friends (or even one of them) knew the siblings died, are we supposed to believe they simply got rid of their corpses?

I think there aren't enough clues to understand the ending, so I prefer to think that they kept on with the wincest in some city in Europe (or wherever they were traveling to).

My guess would be that the bodies were legally taken care of any everything, and the rich girl knows because of her connections, while the rest just never found out.
Mar 10, 2019 6:08 PM
Apr 2018
timpark314 said:
SaiDrew said:

My guess would be that the bodies were legally taken care of any everything, and the rich girl knows because of her connections, while the rest just never found out.
Maybe, but it seems to me that going for the legal way would'be made it quite difficult for anyone involved to hide from the rest of the village (although every house seemed to be quite apart from each one).

I would accept the death theory if the scene in the train looked more "surreal".
Apr 26, 2019 10:19 AM
Jul 2018
I knew someone who had an interesting theory regarding the ending and the show as a whole. During each storyline, there was always talk of them going to the lake as a group, but we never actually see them reach the lake in any storyline except the final one. And in the last ark, Amatsume says something spiritual about the lake, that it would let you redo your life. The thought my friend had, was that after the end of every storyline, they went up to the lake and it transported Haru back to the start of the series, allowing another storyline to begin. Probably did this by drowning in the lake. Though, in Sora's line, they are allowed to finaly move forward. The lake kept resetting with every other character, so maybe this says something like "he finally got it right" with Sora. If you combine this with Shinto beliefs, you could consider the lake to maybe even be the god watching over the town. And then combine that with the "red string of fate" myth, and that Sora and Haru were connected by this invisible string, thats why the lake god only allowed Haru to move past that point in time when he finally got it right with Sora. Given this theory, we could even say its possible that Sora and Haru are in a different reality from the rest of the gang, at the end of the series. In the gangs reality, maybe they are dead or moved away. But in the Kasugano's, they're finally allowed to move forward in their lives, with whatever joys and hardships go along with it.

Correct me if I got any details wrong. Its been a little since I last rewatched the series. Know I didn't explain it best I could, but what do y'all think of this theory? Know it get's up about all these multiple realities, in a show that on the surface, doesn't seem to have much to do with that mojo. Although, I think it's the theory I've heard that ties the most together, and leaves the least loose ends. Even writing in an explanation for the multiple storylines thing, which originally was just there cause it was a VN first.
May 13, 2019 10:37 AM
May 2019
tzy_19 said:

1 The stuffed rabbit could have been bought again, either by Haruka (he was there when she received it as a gift, so he would have known where to find it), or by Sora (found on the Internet).
Sure, the doll held sentimental value, but remember that she was the one to tear it up in the first place. Therefore, another one would have been a symbol of the Kasuganos starting their new life together overseas.

2 You can read the 'from Kasugano Haruka' on the mail, which would suggest it's real. Even if that weren't the case, the fact that's it's false doesn't prove the twins died. Assuming they did die, the most likely candidate to find the floating corpses would be Akira, being the shrine maiden who basically lived there. However, she definitely didn't find anything, since she was the one to ask Kazuha whether she had received any more messages since 'that one'. This means she was completely oblivious to the fact that Kazuha lied, which in turn proves she hadn't found any bodies, instead believing the twins to be abroad, like the possibly fake email stated. No one else in the group (Nao, Kozue, or Ryohei) would have known either, since they were talking about the Kasuganos as if they were still alive. Not even Kazuha herself, who would have been oblivious to their true fate, deciding therefore to write the email just to reassure everyone, in case the twins were never to be seen again.

3 Haru couldn't swim (obviously). Sora not swimming isn't as evident; anyone reaching the deap end on foot (therefore relying on your feet to stand and move), not knowing there's a ledge, would 'fall' (if you can call it that) at first. Happened to me more than once, and I can swim. If you look at the following shot, the one taken from below (just before Haru dives towards Sora), you can see that Sora is actually still floating. It's when Haru dives on to her that she struggles, since he, not being able to swim, is hindering her, to the point where he ends up dragging her down with him.
It's when he's unconscious, ironically, that she is able to save him. Bodies are easier to lift underwater; add to that the adrenaline boost you get from the natural instinct to survive (and save your most loved one, in this case) and you get that Sora, despite being frail, is actually able to pull such a stunt (saving her brother); that's exactly what she did in manga and VN. Also, she never carried him up the stairs, but rather dragged him, which is why you can clearly see the water trail leading from the lake to where they are lying. Some like to point out that they were already in the afterlife at this point, but I disagree, because you can clearly see they still have their bodies, the same bodies that should be lying at the bottom of the lake. I mean, they are both drenched, they're wearing the same clothes, they can even touch each other and make love (which they do), and, most difficult detail to notice at first glance, Haruka has the same bruise he got on the knee when falling off his bike a few scenes earlier. The lake scene for me was more than enough to confirm that they're alive, and the train one only made it clearer they were moving overseas, since they had a suitcase with them. Thank you for reading.
May 13, 2019 10:56 AM
May 2019
Little extra detail: I forgot to add that when you see Nao circling around the twins' house, you can see the futon atop which the twins would sleep together. Compared to the previous time we saw it (when haru received the suicide note from Sora), where there were 2 cushions on each end, in this scene there is only one, which is more centered (I think the blanket is also placed differently, I'm not sure about this last one). This would mean Haru and Sora would have gone home together after surviving and slept on said futon while trying to decide where they could move abroad, hence why the cushions would be placed differently. Just forgot to point that out in the previous post.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yosuga no Sora Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nozomu - Oct 18, 2010

287 by DemhatTks16 »»
Apr 11, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Yosuga no Sora Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 6, 2010

187 by Obscurantist »»
Apr 7, 12:16 PM

» How can I add hanime in the app (Android)

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 26

12 by Reevansingh21 »»
Mar 28, 3:10 PM

Poll: » Yosuga no Sora Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Dunkmaru - Dec 20, 2010

513 by Rezete_01 »»
Feb 24, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Yosuga no Sora Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Nov 22, 2010

230 by Rezete_01 »»
Feb 24, 3:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.