Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 30, 2019 9:00 PM
Jan 2017
weeabootakbankai said:
DangoDa1kazoku said:
I hate it because I think that Kawahara Reki does not know how to write. Not only was it edgy and popular, but it insults the intelligence of the viewer. He doesn’t have any nuance in his writing or any real development of theme. I lost it after I watched accel world, which opened my eyes to the shittiness that is his writing.

I get that people will be amazed by the premise, but I was genuinely insulted by the lazy presentation of the work. As someone aspiring to be a literary analyst or writer, Kawahara commits some of the most aggregious and insulting writing contrivances I have ever seen. It makes me think of all the people, including myself, who want to be writers and get glossed over for this horrible shill of a writer.

Also, hot take: it looks like shit, even now in alicization. The animation isn’t smooth and the fights are jumpy flashes of light that are painful at best and epileptic at worst.

I will hand it to them though, they did a good job putting Kayanon and Tsugutsugu together in the same recording studio. Best seiyuu ship. Join the club. Literally. Please, I want more shippers. https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=76997

Stop following the crowd lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chue0bPORuU
SAO is not the worst thing ever and it not insult intelligence

The crowd? lol nice try. To begin with, the crowd has not been identified in the first place. Do you mean people who hate SAO? The writer? the visuals? or potentially the people who like seiyuus?

If you mean the show as a whole, then yea you should've expected to find people who hated it. And the fact that there is "a crowd" --Whatever that means-- means that there is an analyzable reason people dislike the show. Whether or not it is the same reasons as "the crowd" or not, I can't stand the show, and you telling me that I am wrong and just stating a counterpoint with no analysis is both disrespectful and unconvincing. I will only say that you are just following your crowd (of people who like the show) and add that you are doing a disservice to fans of the show who are respectful of others opinions by trying to attack haters without proper analysis. It looks bad for a community that already has enough people who hate it because of an overly defensive and loud fanbase.

If you mean the "crowd" of people who hate the writer, then I have statistics and analysis on why I dislike Reki's writing. Statistics: I dislike every work I've seen written by Reki. Within his works, only Mother's Rosario was able for me to admit it had semblance of a theme, even if it wasn't perfect. As an aspiring writer and AP Literature student, I will explain why his works are insulting, and I hope you are prepared to analyze SAO in a similar way. Kawahara has very little semblance of theme; it is either basic, nonsensical, or contradictory. If I was told to write an essay on SAO and was given a theme of my choice, I would probably choose something like "SAO by Reki Kawahara illuminates how people are naturally selfish and refuse to cooperate without self-benefit, even when faced with grave danger." The problem with this (other than that it eats up a large portion of an allotted 40 minutes per essay on the AP Lit test) is that Reki refuses to enforce the theme at the expense of Kirito being a badass. This serious lack of literary merit which is present in all of his works should in itself be cause for not liking it. If the main character himself not only doesn't contribute to, but contradicts the main theme of the work, then it makes it near impossible to analyze or pull out any sense of meaning from the work as a whole. Thus, I have to imagine that Reki doesn't write with any sense of greater meaning, but just that he jots some random Kirito badass-ery onto a paper and hopes it sells. Luckily for him, it sells because people want to just see some gaming isekai where the main character gets all the women. My other problem is that there is no nuance. Not only is there very little in the way of character development, there is also very little in the way of setting. I mean, yea the setting has an atmosphere that people love because gaming is the big thing nowadays, but the characters don't occupy the world. They exist in the world but the setting doesn't say anything. Take the setting of A Place further than the Universe.

If you mean "the crowd" is people who think the visuals suck then you just made my day because I thought that I was the only one who hated the visuals, and I would love the crowd who realize this to be larger. I believe heavily in quality over quantity and would love for more people to desire a greater standard of animation. It bugs me that people can be satisfied with adapting works and just animating it so that characters move rather than allowing those characters to act within a space. It also bugs me when people see something slightly better than before and say it is the gold standard when it really just changed from looking like diarrhea to a healthier piece of shit. The more studios invest in frame by frame animation rather than trying to animate the most on the tightest budget is a win for anime as an art.

If you mean "the crowd" is people that care highly about the voice actors, then I know you're just trolling because there's no way you can hate the kayanon x tsugux2 ship.

I do not criticize people for enjoying a show without knowing why. You have every right to like a show, even if it doesn't offer anything in the way of literary merit. However I have every right to hate a show that I believe provides nothing to literature. I only attack the work; if it offers no literary merit then I will say it offers no literary merit and call it shit. I don't say anything about the people watching it except wondering why. I ask nothing of you (Heck Idk who tf you are) except 1. Be more considerate of other people 2. Come prepared with analysis, evidence, and a logical argument.

On a side note, SAO is not the worst thing ever, your words not mine. IMO the worst thing ever is either memes, poorly constructed and underdeveloped analysis, or Accel World. Also, I'm going to assume you meant "does not insult intelligence" and refer to the analysis I did above. A show insults the audience's intelligence by infantilizing the audience in certain areas and creating logic jumps that appear to the watcher that it doesn't care about making sense when it is supposed to be serious or logical.

tldr: SAO is still shit and I analyzed it. This guy who tried to "prove" I was wrong kinda provided no evidence and was actually quite disrespectful. I try to hate only the work and the writing, while this guy clearly doesn't show that level of integrity or respect to the matter.
Art is dead, and we killed it.
Mar 30, 2019 9:05 PM
Sep 2017
DangoDa1kazoku said:
weeabootakbankai said:

Stop following the crowd lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chue0bPORuU
SAO is not the worst thing ever and it not insult intelligence

The crowd? lol nice try. To begin with, the crowd has not been identified in the first place. Do you mean people who hate SAO? The writer? the visuals? or potentially the people who like seiyuus?

If you mean the show as a whole, then yea you should've expected to find people who hated it. And the fact that there is "a crowd" --Whatever that means-- means that there is an analyzable reason people dislike the show. Whether or not it is the same reasons as "the crowd" or not, I can't stand the show, and you telling me that I am wrong and just stating a counterpoint with no analysis is both disrespectful and unconvincing. I will only say that you are just following your crowd (of people who like the show) and add that you are doing a disservice to fans of the show who are respectful of others opinions by trying to attack haters without proper analysis. It looks bad for a community that already has enough people who hate it because of an overly defensive and loud fanbase.

If you mean the "crowd" of people who hate the writer, then I have statistics and analysis on why I dislike Reki's writing. Statistics: I dislike every work I've seen written by Reki. Within his works, only Mother's Rosario was able for me to admit it had semblance of a theme, even if it wasn't perfect. As an aspiring writer and AP Literature student, I will explain why his works are insulting, and I hope you are prepared to analyze SAO in a similar way. Kawahara has very little semblance of theme; it is either basic, nonsensical, or contradictory. If I was told to write an essay on SAO and was given a theme of my choice, I would probably choose something like "SAO by Reki Kawahara illuminates how people are naturally selfish and refuse to cooperate without self-benefit, even when faced with grave danger." The problem with this (other than that it eats up a large portion of an allotted 40 minutes per essay on the AP Lit test) is that Reki refuses to enforce the theme at the expense of Kirito being a badass. This serious lack of literary merit which is present in all of his works should in itself be cause for not liking it. If the main character himself not only doesn't contribute to, but contradicts the main theme of the work, then it makes it near impossible to analyze or pull out any sense of meaning from the work as a whole. Thus, I have to imagine that Reki doesn't write with any sense of greater meaning, but just that he jots some random Kirito badass-ery onto a paper and hopes it sells. Luckily for him, it sells because people want to just see some gaming isekai where the main character gets all the women. My other problem is that there is no nuance. Not only is there very little in the way of character development, there is also very little in the way of setting. I mean, yea the setting has an atmosphere that people love because gaming is the big thing nowadays, but the characters don't occupy the world. They exist in the world but the setting doesn't say anything. Take the setting of A Place further than the Universe.

If you mean "the crowd" is people who think the visuals suck then you just made my day because I thought that I was the only one who hated the visuals, and I would love the crowd who realize this to be larger. I believe heavily in quality over quantity and would love for more people to desire a greater standard of animation. It bugs me that people can be satisfied with adapting works and just animating it so that characters move rather than allowing those characters to act within a space. It also bugs me when people see something slightly better than before and say it is the gold standard when it really just changed from looking like diarrhea to a healthier piece of shit. The more studios invest in frame by frame animation rather than trying to animate the most on the tightest budget is a win for anime as an art.

If you mean "the crowd" is people that care highly about the voice actors, then I know you're just trolling because there's no way you can hate the kayanon x tsugux2 ship.

I do not criticize people for enjoying a show without knowing why. You have every right to like a show, even if it doesn't offer anything in the way of literary merit. However I have every right to hate a show that I believe provides nothing to literature. I only attack the work; if it offers no literary merit then I will say it offers no literary merit and call it shit. I don't say anything about the people watching it except wondering why. I ask nothing of you (Heck Idk who tf you are) except 1. Be more considerate of other people 2. Come prepared with analysis, evidence, and a logical argument.

On a side note, SAO is not the worst thing ever, your words not mine. IMO the worst thing ever is either memes, poorly constructed and underdeveloped analysis, or Accel World. Also, I'm going to assume you meant "does not insult intelligence" and refer to the analysis I did above. A show insults the audience's intelligence by infantilizing the audience in certain areas and creating logic jumps that appear to the watcher that it doesn't care about making sense when it is supposed to be serious or logical.

tldr: SAO is still shit and I analyzed it. This guy who tried to "prove" I was wrong kinda provided no evidence and was actually quite disrespectful. I try to hate only the work and the writing, while this guy clearly doesn't show that level of integrity or respect to the matter.

For me Sao is much better in the book format than the anime and the character in it have character development. Reki know what he doing in his works, instead of making kirito a badass.
Thatanimesnob sum it well on modern anime communitt: pretentious overthinker
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2019 9:51 PM

Aug 2018
for me; before the exact point where Kayaba just says ''aw fuck this'' and the game is finished prematurely, it was going great, would easily make into my top 20, but the second arc is an insult to every great moment before it, I honestly have a hard time believing it was writen by the same person, i cant find from the top of my head a single thing i liked about it, but i can name a few that would make me drop it if i wasn't so curious and hopeful that it would get good again: Asuna ain't no fucking damsel in distress, fuck that twice; Stakes are not high anymore, if you die, just respawn; Jesus-kun still strugling with the controls beats the best player in the game; Villain gives TMI for literaly no reason at all; And other shit like that
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Mar 31, 2019 8:52 AM

Jul 2014
guizo666 said:
for me; before the exact point where Kayaba just says ''aw fuck this'' and the game is finished prematurely, it was going great, would easily make into my top 20, but the second arc is an insult to every great moment before it, I honestly have a hard time believing it was writen by the same person, i cant find from the top of my head a single thing i liked about it, but i can name a few that would make me drop it if i wasn't so curious and hopeful that it would get good again: Asuna ain't no fucking damsel in distress, fuck that twice; Stakes are not high anymore, if you die, just respawn; Jesus-kun still strugling with the controls beats the best player in the game; Villain gives TMI for literaly no reason at all; And other shit like that

lmao second arc was basically Reki taking a piss, like it was low effort trying to put every trope in 12 episodes. EZPZ.
Mar 31, 2019 7:47 PM
Oct 2018
SAO is not rabidly hated by the entire anime community. It used to be, but then a counterculture of "it's not that bad" appeared and took over, the people who disliked it quit caring TBFH, hating on it for 6 years gets pretty boring.
Mar 31, 2019 8:16 PM

Aug 2018
OppaiSugoi said:
guizo666 said:

lmao second arc was basically Reki taking a piss, like it was low effort trying to put every trope in 12 episodes. EZPZ.

either that or SAO became so popular, that he has interns writing the damn thing and the numbers are still massive after the drops :D
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Apr 4, 2019 5:19 AM

Jun 2014
Thread locked.

Thread has been locked for being a duplicated topic. Please use the search function to ensure that your intended topic hasn't been created before.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

59 by SaveStyle »»
2 hours ago

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

67 by TwigzLIVE »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

163 by SignsOfSuicide »»
Apr 14, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2012

734 by Lionwing »»
Apr 7, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

948 by Reshiram_IX »»
Apr 2, 4:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.