Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 5, 2019 8:16 AM

Aug 2015
Recently people started hating on all isekai. It used to be one of the most popular genres a few years ago.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 5, 2019 8:19 AM

Aug 2018
Nobody hates all Isekai

Its just boring to watch the same story multiple times with slight changes
Mar 5, 2019 8:20 AM

Apr 2017
Alice_Synthesis said:
Recently people started hating on all isekai. It used to be one of the most popular genres a few years ago.
It's still a popular genre.
Basically there is too much of it. And almost everything is cliché at this point.

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Mar 5, 2019 8:21 AM

Aug 2015
Humbby said:
Nobody hates all Isekai

Kuraya said:
Alice_Synthesis said:
Basically there is too much of it. And almost everything is cliché at this point.

So an original isekai would be no problem?
Mar 5, 2019 8:22 AM

Aug 2013
I officially hate people who keep making useless isekai threads as of now.
Mar 5, 2019 8:24 AM

Apr 2017
Alice_Synthesis said:
Humbby said:
Nobody hates all Isekai

Kuraya said:

No, all the originality is dispelled by being isekai
Btw I'm actually an isekai fan

Mar 5, 2019 8:29 AM

Nov 2016
I don't dislike them per se. The concept is great, but the execution on the other hand leaves more than often something to be desired.

For starters, it would be great if we would get something more ambitious, multiple cour long and in battle shounen fashion with large scale worldbuilding.
FMmatronMar 5, 2019 8:33 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 5, 2019 8:29 AM

Aug 2015
Kuraya said:
Alice_Synthesis said:

I believe in the future isekai authors!
Mar 5, 2019 8:30 AM

Mar 2017
because they're all unoriginal, boring, and cliche garbage.

i haven't watched one and I never will
Mar 5, 2019 8:35 AM

Aug 2015
thatrpgdude said:
because they're all unoriginal, boring, and cliche garbage.

i haven't watched one and I never will

Objection! You can never know if they are any of the things you have listed without watching them.
Spirit_of_EnenMar 5, 2019 8:38 AM
Mar 5, 2019 8:36 AM

Aug 2015
Satyr_icon said:

This thread came from another World.
Mar 5, 2019 8:38 AM

Feb 2019
I don't mind them at all if they can find their element of uniqueness.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Mar 5, 2019 8:43 AM

Apr 2017
Alice_Synthesis said:
Kuraya said:

Alright, you do that. Meanwhile tell me why you like isekai

Mar 5, 2019 8:54 AM

Aug 2015
Kuraya said:
Alice_Synthesis said:

I like most of the animes i have seen. Why i like isekai? A different World with unique features is interesting for me i guess. That's what isekai is right, a slice of life character warping to a fantasy World. The idea of a character going to a different world is interesting. But to make it even more interesting is up to the animation studio and author of course.
Mar 5, 2019 9:08 AM

Nov 2016
Alice_Synthesis said:
FMmatron said:
I don't dislike them per se. The concept is great, but the execution on the other hand leaves more than often something to be desired.

For starters, it would be great if we got something more ambitious, multiple cours long and in battle shounen fashion.

Isekai material mostly comes from novels/licht novels. A new chapter of these seem to take longer then mangas/manwhas/etc..

Wait till the source is finished, even tho I doubt that my wishes would work as well in a novel. Alternatively, one could adapt an isekai from a manga, that should work as fine.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 5, 2019 9:12 AM

Apr 2015
I'm literally watching (and enjoying) Re:Zero right now so I guess I can't answer this.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Mar 5, 2019 9:13 AM

Sep 2015
I'm writing an isekai as we speak, so I don't hate isekai.

Actually in a plot twist it turns out to actually be a time jump to the past rather than an isekai.

I feel like I've put too much thought into this.
Mar 5, 2019 9:16 AM

Feb 2018
I like the overlord novels, but isekai as a genre has become very repetitive and just uninteresting to me.
Mar 5, 2019 9:16 AM

Dec 2015
It's not a "genre", it's just a ready-to-use canvas you can use to tell a comedy, a dramatic story, an adventure, or whatever you feel like writing.
Mar 5, 2019 9:17 AM

Aug 2017
Isekai isn't the problem. The problem is that the genre has gotten flooded with low effort manga/anime they are trying to ride the wave of popularity. And some of the low effort schlock is just offensively bad. Worse is how some companies will grab almost any old light novel and adapt it just because it's an isekai. Isekai isn't the problem, it's because it got popular and people are trying to milk it, that's the problem.
Mar 5, 2019 9:19 AM

Aug 2015
CatSoul said:
I'm literally watching (and enjoying) Re:Zero right now so I guess I can't answer this.

Rem is best girl. Fight me if you think otherwise.
Mar 5, 2019 9:22 AM

Aug 2017
Alice_Synthesis said:
CatSoul said:

Hahah, we all know fElIx is the best gIrL.
Mar 5, 2019 9:25 AM

Aug 2015
Skana said:
Alice_Synthesis said:

Oh well.. As long as it's cute right.
Mar 5, 2019 9:28 AM

Apr 2015
Alice_Synthesis said:
CatSoul said:

Honestly I'm hella gay (but no homo) for Ricardo but unless Emilia somehow redeems herself at the very end Rem is indeed best girl.

I did set Emilia as my desktop wallpaper after the first six episodes or so. Oh, if only I knew...
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Mar 5, 2019 9:29 AM

Aug 2017
Alice_Synthesis said:
Skana said:

I can't deny that she's cute though. I would F her like there's no tomorrow :D
Mar 5, 2019 9:33 AM

Aug 2015
Skana said:
Alice_Synthesis said:

No F ing please. Waifus exist to protect.
Mar 5, 2019 9:38 AM

Feb 2010
Nothing really changed. People who hate it now were hating it a few years ago already and people who liked it probably still like it.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 5, 2019 9:42 AM

Jan 2018
Lots of blanket statements in this here topic.
Mar 5, 2019 9:43 AM

Aug 2017
Alice_Synthesis said:
Skana said:

No F ing please. Waifus exist to protect.
You don't need to take part in that if you don't feel it, it's not some essential milestone or anything.
Mar 5, 2019 9:44 AM

Jul 2015
It's trendy to either hate it or be obsessed with it.

Personally I do think it does have a bit of a quality problem, but there are still quite a few decent series.
Mar 5, 2019 9:46 AM

Jun 2014
Most people don't hate it, they just hate the term, and people talking about it all the time.

Mar 5, 2019 9:47 AM
Jul 2018
Kuraya said:
Alice_Synthesis said:
Why can't we say the same about genres like comedy and romance? Those are genres with a lot more anime about them, isekai is still a fairly unexplored genre because of how new it is. For instance, Log Horizon explores how one would live inside a game. Additionally, Sword Art Online is about how the world emotionally affected the characters within it.As for No Game No Life it straight out has a new type of setting where everything is decided by games. Hack//Sign is a mystery about how one character got trapped in an MMO. I mean It isn't like you are only able to do a couple of things within that genre, you could explore a myriad of worlds with it in a lot of ways.
Mar 5, 2019 9:48 AM

Oct 2013
Well, its a big trend right now in LNs when it gets a solid fanbase, then an anime will follow. It's either you like/love it or dislike/hate it.
Mar 5, 2019 9:52 AM

Apr 2017
Alice_Synthesis said:
Kuraya said:

I like most of the animes i have seen. Why i like isekai? A different World with unique features is interesting for me i guess. That's what isekai is right, a slice of life character warping to a fantasy World. The idea of a character going to a different world is interesting. But to make it even more interesting is up to the animation studio and author of course.
Good, you got it right. The concept of isekai is interesting from the get-go it is indeed up to the studio and author

Mar 5, 2019 9:54 AM

Feb 2010
Peaceful_Critic said:
Kuraya said:
Why can't we say the same about genres like comedy and romance? Those are genres with a lot more anime about them, isekai is still a fairly unexplored genre because of how new it is. For instance, Log Horizon explores how one would live inside a game. Additionally, Sword Art Online is about how the world emotionally affected the characters within it.As for No Game No Life it straight out has a new type of setting where everything is decided by games. Hack//Sign is a mystery about how one character got trapped in an MMO. I mean It isn't like you are only able to do a couple of things within that genre, you could explore a myriad of worlds with it in a lot of ways.

comedy and romances are 'real' genres while isekai is basically just a setting so they work differently. If every comedy anime had basically the same setting, people would definitely be as tired of it as they are of isekai.

That being said the upside of isekai being a setting more than a genre is that it can be paired with any kind of genre and there can be (and is) variety because of that even if at a glance they might all sound the same because what ties them together is having the same kind of premise and setting, rather than something like tone or thematical focus (like it is the case for 'real' genres like comedy or romance).
Mar 5, 2019 10:04 AM

Feb 2012
I don't even remember the last time I saw one. It's most likely bored people with too much time making stuff up.
Mar 5, 2019 10:08 AM

Dec 2013
perhaps start animating isekai with female protagonist for a start, plenty of materials out there
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Mar 5, 2019 10:08 AM

Jan 2017
I've said it before, and I've said it again: there's nothing inherently wrong with isekai, and a well-done, original one would blow me away. There's so, so much to explore with the genre, and all that's required is that authors stop using the cheap cop-out of copying Dragon Quest for the millionth time. Just, make up a world! You can do anything! It doesn't have to be an RPG!

Benphyre said:
perhaps start animating isekai with female protagonist for a start, plenty of materials out there

You're absolutely right about that. Even such a small change makes a massive difference, and can feel fresh.

One of my favourites I read recently was Vengeful White Cat Lounging on the Dragon's Lap, where the MC is basically a classic Disney princess done as an isekai. It's fantastic, and such a refreshing change from 'edgy' isekai MCs.
Maurice_5Mar 5, 2019 10:13 AM
Mar 5, 2019 10:13 AM

Feb 2010
Maurice_5 said:
I've said it before, and I've said it again: there's nothing inherently wrong with isekai, and a well-done, original one would blow me away. There's so, so much to explore with the genre, and all that's required is that authors stop using the cheap cop-out of copying Dragon Quest for the millionth time. Just, make up a world! You can do anything! It doesn't have to be an RPG!

I would recommend Juuni Kokuki to you, that's an isekai title with a very original/unique fantasy world imo. It has a female protagonist too, so I can even recommend it twice :>
I really like that show a lot.

Personally I enjoy the rpg-inspired settings as well but yeah, variety is always better.
AlcoholicideMar 5, 2019 10:21 AM
Mar 5, 2019 10:19 AM

May 2017
I don't hate it, I love it, it's funny
    CARP 9/12/18 Eterno
Mar 5, 2019 10:29 AM
Jul 2018
Pullman said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

comedy and romances are 'real' genres while isekai is basically just a setting so they work differently. If every comedy anime had basically the same setting, people would definitely be as tired of it as they are of isekai.

That being said the upside of isekai being a setting more than a genre is that it can be paired with any kind of genre and there can be (and is) variety because of that even if at a glance they might all sound the same because what ties them together is having the same kind of premise and setting, rather than something like tone or thematical focus (like it is the case for 'real' genres like comedy or romance).

Isekai is just being transported to another world right? If that's the case then the world could literally be anything. I mean No Game No Life isn't a generic fantasy MMO world, it's a world built around peaceful resolutions through different types of games. Even if we were to define isekai of a person being transported to an MMO, you could still have a lot of different types of MMOs. The settings between .Hack, SAO and Log Horizon are similar, but there are several differences between them as well. Sword Art Online doesn't really have magic and has more interactive game mechanics(as speed in real life and knowledge of Kendo moves translates to the game). Meanwhile, Log Horizon has a class system and a more traditional MMO setting with how it runs.
Mar 5, 2019 10:42 AM

May 2009
...but I don't hate all isekai.

Satyr_icon said:
RIP Isekai Thread Fad

(nearby tombstones read RIP Dubs vs. Subs Thread Fad, RIP SJW Fearmongering Thread FAD, RIP Ecchi And Fetishes Threads Fad, ...)
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 5, 2019 10:43 AM

Jul 2013
I don't hate all Isekai. I hate cheaply made Isekai that's all of the gimmicks and none of the quality.
Mar 5, 2019 10:51 AM
Apr 2017
Not everyone hates all isekai. Isekai is getting more and more popular if you observe the anime over the past few years. Yes I do admit that I'm not a big fan of isekai but that's mostly isekai based on MMO RPGs. Other than that I enjoy all the other types of isekai anime.
Mar 5, 2019 11:06 AM

Oct 2018
I just find it trite.
it's all the same plot with different flat characters and boring aspects.
Honestly, isekai is aimed towards teens and newcomers to anime. And i might be both of those, but still have no interest in isekai.
Mar 5, 2019 1:02 PM

Nov 2015
I don't hate Isekai. In fact, most of them are too forgettable for me to hate them. They're boring, if anything. That's not to say I don't love a couple of them, but those good ones are few and far between.
Isekai is just really over saturated. There is too much of it and with not enough good ones the general consensus is that it's a terrible sub-genre.
No Game No Life, Youjo Senki, and Log Horizon are my favorites, with others such as Re: Zero and Overlord being pretty good as well. And if I'm solely talking about quality, even Sword Art Online was a better show and more memorable isekai than all the rest I've seen
Mar 6, 2019 12:32 AM

Jun 2017
I hate people who think others hate "ALL" isekai
Mar 6, 2019 12:44 AM

Mar 2019
i personally dont hate the genre. the reason to despise many isekai manga/anime because of repetitive concept plus the stories like to give the MC so much privilege.

loser in real life -> dead -> get revived in another world -> overpowered -> harem

typical isekai in my opinion is those that show losers who suddenly become winners after being dead or entering games.

also, isekai seems to give protagonist privillege where he will get revived after being defeated by enemies plus he gets new extraordinary talent but when he eliminates enemies, the enemies wont get revived.

thats just unfair.

my conclusion = isekai is just another variant for plot armor

You Can Not Build The World With Beauty!
You Need Brain And Muscle!

Oh, Seriously?

Then You Can Not Destroy The World With Beauty!
Instead, You Need Brain And Muscle To Do So!
Only People With The Most Superior Brains And Muscles
Can Be The Best At Destroying This World!
But Who Has More Superior Brain And Muscle Anyway?
Me Or Her?

Mar 6, 2019 1:38 AM

Oct 2010
I don't hate isekai. I watched sao and I like Sinon, Escaflowne is top class isekai, even though the ending is not what I wanted. I can't wait for that Reincarnated as a Spider girl isekai anime and In Another World with my Mom, these two look promising that they'll make me smile.
Mar 6, 2019 1:44 AM
Mar 2016
We have grimgar as the "unique" isekai and rezero as the "well writing" isekai
Everything else is garbage
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think girl on girl (yuri / GL / shoujo ai) is hot? ( 1 2 )

Bakchos - Aug 15, 2019

65 by Jamk_ »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

41 by ISeeLifePeople »»
3 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

222 by SobbleBoy27 »»
7 minutes ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 3 )

Yorda_trico - Apr 15

113 by DreamingBeats »»
36 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?

Dije - Apr 16

44 by Lucifrost »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.