Forum Settings
Forums

Do you go into a new anime with or without context?

New
Mar 5, 2019 2:46 AM

Jan 2019
For anyone that doesn't understand the title: Do you like to go into a new anime movie or series with or without knowing the aspects like plot, characters etc.

With me I kind of sit on the fence, on one side I like knowing background information on some shows, to get an understanding of what it is like and if I will like it or not. On the other side, I also like going into a show without any information on it because I like the unravelling of finding out the plot etc. And maybe if I don't actually like the show, it still gives me an opportunity to at least try the show out.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 5, 2019 2:49 AM

Nov 2009
I'm like you in that I like both sides. I never heavily research or read reviews, and generally the most I'll do is read the synopsis, but I often like going into an anime completely blind. It really helps me find anime outside my comfort zone, which is definitely a positive to me.
Mar 5, 2019 3:11 AM

Jun 2015
It depends and while not knowing much might help you to be more easily surprised, some series benefit from you knowing a bit beforehand. Like when I watched Abenobashi recently I knew most of the series would be episodic parodies and that the main story is thin, so I couldn't be disappointed by that fact. Or the specific mindset you need to watch some series like Aria (in this case for being slow and mostly uneventful, but can be applied for opposite cases).

There are other ways of knowing without them being the actual plot or characters and that's knowing what people are behind an anime production. Certain elements of those series might be in common with others you 've seen before and that's a guidance that doesn't necessarily detract you from any surprise.
Mar 5, 2019 3:11 AM

Feb 2010
As much as necessary to know whether I'm interested or not, but as little as possible cause the less I know the better. But I would never go in completely blind, I need to at least what type of show it is because there's certain stuff I know I'll never like. But for example I'd only need to know that something is a non-harem WSJ adaptions and I'd 100% check it out even without knowing the plot details.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 5, 2019 3:19 AM
May 2016
i read the synopsis and genres, that's it
Mar 5, 2019 3:23 AM

May 2009
I generally prefer to go into something without knowing much of what it is. Perhaps I would need enough information about it to know what mood I want to be in to watch it, but aside from that, I don't want to know too much.

I particularly don't want to know whether other people rate it highly or not, but that can be hard.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 5, 2019 3:41 AM
Feb 2013
As little as possible. I really only want to learn the minimum amount with which I can make a guess whether I'll like a series or not. And not even that, if possible.

What I've been doing recently is, if a series catches my eye (high rating, recommendation, saw it on someone's list I have high compatibility with, etc.), I'll read the synopsis and maybe skim a review, then if I like what I see, dump it on my 'plan to watch' list, which is absurdly long at this point. By the time I get around to actually watching a series, I'll have totally forgotten the premise (unless it was very memorable, or generally known by everybody). As my PTW list grows, what happens more and more is that when a series intrigues me, I'll click on it and find that it's already on the list. So basically, I can watch shows knowing that I've already approved of and expect to like them while simultaneously going in completely blind.
Mar 5, 2019 3:42 AM

Dec 2015
I like to go in without any prior knowledge.
Mar 5, 2019 3:43 AM

Oct 2013
Atleast, I need to know it's synopsis (just bits of it is enough), whether it's a movie, a tv series or music video, the genre, and sometimes, who is the director/writer, or is this a game adaptation, a manga, a LN or an original work. Just basic stuff like that.
Mar 5, 2019 3:49 AM
Casual Flower

Mar 2015
Nope. I await for the latest trailer revealed and need to feel satisfied with the animation. The genres matter as well. If it doesn't really fit to my expectations, I drop it. Not only animation wise and genres listed but there are at least a few mainstream anime even I can't really continue watching.

If I've somewhat read a bit of the manga/novel to it; you bet I'll give it a watch but then you have those kind of titles that just end up VERY disappointing. Well, I think it is better to at least give the anime a chance and if you end up liking what you see provided, best bet it is worth the watch in the end.
Mar 5, 2019 3:54 AM

Aug 2013
Going into Monogatari with absolutely no prior knowledge of what it was made quite the awesome trip.

Usually the only times I'm aware of an anime is because of its manga or when the title/promotional material makes it obvious. Most times I've watched a (unsubbed) trailer or just saw the poster here.
Mar 5, 2019 3:57 AM

Oct 2017
I only take a look at the genres and the cover photo. Nothing else.
Mar 5, 2019 4:04 AM

Jan 2013
I always check genres and when it comes to the synopsis/characters it depends. If the set of genre looks like somethin I'll enjoy then I usually go in blind. If it's something outside of my comfort zone then I need more info.
Mar 5, 2019 5:30 AM

May 2014
I go into a show with a bit of prior knowledge. I usually just look at the synopsis and the animation studio.
Mar 5, 2019 5:37 AM
Feb 2014
I like getting into a new anime with as little context as possible, cause if i start searching up information about it, even just reading the fucking synopsis is almost guaranteed to contain spoilers!

I will only look at the cover, genres, age rating and maybe character designs, also, with anime rated R - 17+ (violence & profanity) i will try finidng out what it contains to get such a rating since i want to avoid watching gory anime(blood is ok but not gore so i have to make sure beforehand what i'm getting myself into)

Other than that i don't look up anything else.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Mar 5, 2019 5:41 AM
Feb 2017
I want a little context a show to what the show's premise is about. I don't want to pick up a show at random, but I also don't want to know the entire plot and details when I start the show.
Mar 5, 2019 7:10 AM

Apr 2016
not really. the first thing i look is the rating, if it's above 8, then it's likely to be pretty good. and then i look at the genre. what kind of anime i feel like watching. comedy is always preferable to me.

some anime can have a cool story description but shit execution, and vice versa. heck, i wasn't even interested in watching Asobi Asobase because the MAL description wasn't that interesting, but after giving the show a try, i was pleasantly surprised.
Mar 5, 2019 7:12 AM

Aug 2015
It kind of depends. I usually prefer watching anime blind and I have no idea if I'm gonna enjoy it or not. I just feel like I get more enjoyment out of it. Like I keep holding off watching Baccano because I have a bias towards old gangster stories. So I know I'm gonna like it. Plus a few characters and the basic gist of the show. But I rather watch something that I know pretty much nothing about.

Mar 5, 2019 7:17 AM

Apr 2017
Idk it depends there have been some times where I started totally blind without knowing characters or plot. Like KonoSuba or Re:Zero in my case.
Mar 5, 2019 8:25 AM

Aug 2018
I only check the cover...
And If its good I'm In!
Mar 5, 2019 8:28 AM
Jul 2018
if u decide watching something after reading MAL reviews u wouldnt watch anything at all, i decide after looking at the cover and reading the synopsis what i watch.
Mar 5, 2019 8:58 AM

Feb 2015
I used to in the past but now not anymore.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Mar 5, 2019 9:00 AM

Mar 2018
I watched Boku no pico without context and now I don't dare to do such stuff.
Mar 5, 2019 11:05 AM

May 2017
I used to go in without context when I was younger, but now I tend to read about it before I start watching it. It's nice, since then I get an idea of what the show is and how much I like it, but it also ruins the surprise, and a little of the enjoyment. I should probably go back to watching it without context, since its more enjoyable.
Mar 5, 2019 11:07 AM

Oct 2018
I typically read the synopsis, or if it's hyped up read the first paragraph of a review so i don't read any spoilers.

Mar 5, 2019 11:19 AM
Jul 2018
A lot of the anime I've watched are recommendations, so I'd generally go into them knowing the overall plot. I don't think that if I'd been unaware of the plot it would've much of a difference to my overall experience watching the anime.
Mar 5, 2019 11:23 AM

Dec 2018
I avoid reading too far to find out spoilers or plot twists, but I definitely read up on the premise of the show.

How else would you decide what to watch?
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Mar 5, 2019 11:27 AM

Jul 2017
Maybe a little context here and there. I do snoop around to find certain bits of info like how the romance is and such

But most of it is just looking at the cover art and seeing if it looks kewl
Mar 5, 2019 11:33 AM

Jul 2015
I always check MU tags to avoid things i hate
(harem/love triangle/rape/tsunderes ....)
Mar 5, 2019 11:33 AM

Aug 2017
I look only at the design of the characters. If they are nice to see, then I look at the anime.
Mar 5, 2019 11:34 AM

Dec 2018
Short_Circut said:
Maybe a little context here and there. I do snoop around to find certain bits of info like how the romance is and such

But most of it is just looking at the cover art and seeing if it looks kewl

Yeah I go off the very simplistic, spoiler-free premise of the plot and cover art/character design when deciding if I want to watch something.
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Mar 5, 2019 11:40 AM

Apr 2016
Depends, most of the times I already know something about a series I am going to watch. Spending time on the internet gives a lot of information about anime away if you were to ask me. :>

So does muxing in subtitles into raws without watching the series while doing so (Akage no Anne & Lupin S2), so I basically know everything about the series without having actually watched it yet.
The dearer you hold a memory the more painful it becomes.

Mar 5, 2019 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
I am very selective when it comes to anime nowadays since I download them before watching and internet access is expensive here. I even try to look for its source material, and sometimes even looking for major spoilers before trying it. When I was in university I exchanged and downloaded anime with my friends free thanks to campus' wi-fi so I didn't really care which one to download or watch. But now, unless I am pretty much sure I'll enjoy the anime, I'll not give it a try.
Mar 5, 2019 12:00 PM
Nov 2018
I like to know the general setting, genre, vibe etc but I don't really like to know that much about the plot or characters beyond general stereotypes cause I prefer working that out for myself.
Mar 5, 2019 1:13 PM

Jul 2016
In my case, I tend to read the synopsis as well as one or two reviews if it's possible and see if said anime has some PVs or not. And after doing that, if said anime caught my interest, then I would give it a chance.

But of course, there're also sometimes a search for a bit more of information if the show I found has some "unusual" concepts or a deeper plot. For example, before I got into the "Fate" franchise, I made sure to look for some concepts and basic information about its universe and how magic works in it, so that I wouldn't be that confused while watching the anime since at that time, I hadn't played the VN.
SouthRzVaMar 5, 2019 1:37 PM
Mar 5, 2019 1:15 PM

Oct 2018
I definitely enjoy it way more without knowing anything that'll happen. Because if I know the slightest beforehand i'll start stringing things together and predicting the plot or twists before even reaching it.

That way, if something is really good, i'm also very positively surprised.
【🇳​🇪​🇼​ 🇵​🇷​🇴​🇫​🇮​🇱​🇪​ 🇩​🇪​🇸​🇮​🇬​🇳​】

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

Mar 5, 2019 2:51 PM

Oct 2010
I usually do some research before I start something new. Sometimes I'll even spoil myself all of the major plot developments before starting the show.
Mar 5, 2019 2:53 PM

May 2016
Only if it's a sequel/prequel/mid-quel? series. Otherwise, context is for the weak.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 5, 2019 6:53 PM

Feb 2019
I typically jump in learning a bit about an anime before actually watching as I'd like to have some context so I know what I'm watching isn't a waste of my time.
Sometime though even knowing a bit about an anime still isn't enough to determine if an anime is good but I still do it so I'll know beforehand.
Good context can be a motivation to watch too so there's that.
Mar 5, 2019 6:58 PM

Oct 2018
I usually read a synopsis and that's it. I rarely go farther than that in research, as any more than that just turns into people's opinions, and I like to make my own opinion without much outside influence
Mar 6, 2019 12:29 AM

Jun 2017
I like to go blind but most of the time that doesn't happen
Mar 6, 2019 12:32 AM

Feb 2018
I always read the synopsis, and atm I only watch adaptations of manga I like.
Mar 6, 2019 12:54 AM

Feb 2019
I always check the genres, read a bit of the synopsis and read some reviews about the anime.
Mar 6, 2019 12:55 AM

Jun 2016
synpopsis helps a lot on this site. But if a show is overhyped like Promised Neverland before the season starts,then I go blind into them.
Mar 6, 2019 2:12 AM

Oct 2014
Not really. I always look at the genre, cover photo, and synopsis before watching a series I have no previous knowledge of.
Mar 6, 2019 9:05 AM
Jul 2018
This is definitely a dilemma, but the answer is simple for me: If the anime is on Top 150, I only look at the genre. If it isn't, I also read the synopsis and some reviews.
removed-userMar 6, 2019 11:39 AM
Mar 6, 2019 12:29 PM

Dec 2015
I always read the synopsis and if it's good I put it on the list.
Mar 6, 2019 12:53 PM
Jul 2018
I usually check the staff behind it. Especially director, animation director and script writer and their past history
Mar 6, 2019 12:59 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
meh... can't be ever bothered. Add pretty much everything to PTW and watch stuff depending on mood. So for the most part watch stuff quite blindly.
Mar 6, 2019 1:09 PM

Dec 2012
All I want to know is the basic plot description.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

14 by IpreferEcchi »»
4 minutes ago

» The most beautiful series in visual/artistic aspect? Share your opinion :)

windyshadow - 4 hours ago

15 by LoveYourEyes »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Who is the hottest anime mom? (beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - 5 hours ago

11 by Lucifrost »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think you could fall in love with a fairy?

Shizuna - Yesterday

44 by elgatosaika »»
13 minutes ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Yesterday

53 by ColourWheel »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.