Forum Settings
Forums

Why do 'Some' top MAL reviews are always negative?

New
Mar 1, 2019 12:07 AM

Nov 2017
I found negative Top MAL reviews all the time. And I don't even know why the site always put that in the top reviews. Anime like Darling in the franxx, SAO, most A-1 Pictures shows, and every anime that have a bad ending. Have a top negative review on the site. Heck, even some of the highest rated anime have some (erased, NGNL zero, and slime is a good example). I tried to read some of it and it's either a genuine criticism, or didn't even get the show in the show in the first place. (And possibly trolls I didn't know why their reviews even popular in the first place).

Isn't the score on the anime correlated to the score of the reviews?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 1, 2019 12:13 AM

Feb 2019
UNKWONTONIC said:
I found negative Top MAL reviews all the time. And I don't even know why the site always put that in the top reviews. Anime like Darling in the franxx, SAO, most A-1 Pictures shows, and every anime that have a bad ending. Have a top negative review on the site. Heck, even some of the highest rated anime have some (erased, NGNL zero, and slime is a good example). I tried to read some of it and it's either a genuine criticism, or didn't even get the show in the show in the first place. (And possibly trolls I didn't know why their reviews even popular in the first place).

When you go to Amazon, do you check the 5 star reviews or the 1 star reviews? Probably the 1 stars. People generally have a strong grasp of the positive attributes of something by virtue of product research. People have to rely on unbiased consumers to learn the downsides and risks of products. The same goes for an anime with a good trailer... They want to know what kind of person it is -not- for so they're not wasting their time.
Mar 1, 2019 12:14 AM

Jan 2018
UNKWONTONIC said:

Not at all. Reviews are simply sorted by how many people pressed the "I found this helpful" button on the bottom. The first people to review the anime in question will usually end up at the top, regardless if the reviewers score it with a 2 or a 10. If you want to look into how the scores of a series are actually factored, choose "Stats" on the top of that anime's page.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Mar 1, 2019 12:15 AM

May 2018
It's as you say,
I have seen many reviews that even dropped the show after just 1 or 2 episodes.
Some reviews are just a general hate against the anime, often without any legitimate reasons.
Some reviews just hate the anime because of the genre or just because someone told them that it is a bad anime.

In my opinion, criticism is needed, but without reasoning I can't take the review serious.
The problem is, however, that many people take these reviews for serious and don't even give the anime a shot and just start to generally hate it.

And i don't wanna start on the trolls on this site :)
Mar 1, 2019 12:19 AM

Jan 2018
J0lly_Jump3r said:

In order to review a series, you need to have seen 4 episodes of a single cour, 6 of a two-cour, and at least 10 of anything with more episodes than that.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Mar 1, 2019 12:21 AM

May 2018
Greyleaf said:
J0lly_Jump3r said:

In order to review a series, you need to have seen 4 episodes of a single cour, 6 of a two-cour, and at least 10 of anything with more episodes than that.

Oh then i am sorry for my mistake, i just thought that i have seen some reviews that stated exactly what i mentioned.. but this could also have been on another site

thanks for informing me :D
Mar 1, 2019 12:23 AM

Oct 2011
UNKWONTONIC said:

Are those reviews terrible? Are they very subjective?
Mar 1, 2019 12:55 AM

Oct 2014
More people are willing to shit on a show for being bad than praise a show for being good. That's why.
Mar 1, 2019 12:59 AM
Jul 2018
Cause they have the right to be negative just as much as you have the right to be positive? Or do you want to deny that right?
Mar 1, 2019 1:49 AM

May 2009
UNKWONTONIC said:
Yes, but that doesn't mean you have a lot of people rating it the same way. The average score is just an average, and you have some 10s and some 1s for pretty much every show on MAL.

Also as Greyleaf points out, the score is correlated to the reviews, but not the ratings on the reviews themselves.

Also, FranXX and SAO have a reputation for being polarizing.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 1, 2019 1:53 AM

Aug 2017
Sorry but being negative is not bad.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 1, 2019 2:24 AM

Feb 2019
Nithirel said:
More people are willing to shit on a show for being bad than praise a show for being good. That's why.

These are wise words! You can think of it like eating at a restaurant. If people like the food, they're liable to walk away quiet and satisfied. If they hate the food, they get on Yelp and tell their friends. People like to complain sometimes.

DrakoWiz said:
Cause they have the right to be negative just as much as you have the right to be positive? Or do you want to deny that right?

NICE signature
Mar 1, 2019 2:40 AM

Nov 2012
This just because there are opportunities to leave feedback about a particular anime/manga. And it is quite natural that there are negative reviews. Personally for me it is quite normal to read negative reviews, most often they affect my choice. But sometimes, it happens and Vice versa. A good example is Grimgar.
Mar 1, 2019 3:05 AM

Oct 2018
I find it is generally because if someone dislikes something they will share their opinion. If someone thinks a show is average they won’t have much to say. Most reviews are only written by the haters or lovers of the show as they have the most to say and are most desperate to get their opinions across.

Mar 1, 2019 3:15 AM

Jul 2017
Reviews are just pieces of text. Nothing more, nothing less.
Mar 1, 2019 3:21 AM
Jul 2018
there is nothing to be gained from reading a review beside distancing yourself from the work..
Mar 1, 2019 3:23 AM

Jul 2015
Because those anime are shit. End of story

Mar 1, 2019 3:29 AM

Jun 2016
My favorite is the negative review on the RWBY manga in the top reviews that was written by someone who clearly doesn't know it's based on a 6-fucking-season-and-running web series.
Mar 1, 2019 3:31 AM

Apr 2017
because people dislike the series? you can't expect everyone to enjoy the shows equally just because they have good MAL scores.. everyone has different opinions
Mar 1, 2019 3:41 AM

Dec 2018
I have to agree with those who's saying reading reviews is pointless in the first place. But people has the right to decide if they dislike an anime no matter how popular it is.
Mar 1, 2019 3:47 AM
Nov 2018
DrakoWiz said:

They have the right to have a negative opinion but that negative opinion only makes sense when it has legitimate arguments supporting it and the same applies to positive opinion.
Mar 1, 2019 3:49 AM
Nov 2018
Chimaeraian said:
there is nothing to be gained from reading a review beside distancing yourself from the work..

There is something to be gained from reading a review beside making you closer to the work.
Mar 1, 2019 3:53 AM
Jul 2018
LiedElfen said:
DrakoWiz said:

They have the right to have a negative opinion but that negative opinion only makes sense when it has legitimate arguments supporting it and the same applies to positive opinion.

Still OP is just complaining that they are negative and should be disregarded because of that? He even aknowedges that some have "genuine criticism", but doesn't care, haha.
Mar 1, 2019 3:58 AM

May 2015
That's common in popular/high rated polarizing anime because with the amount of praise for the fans the show spreads outside of its intended audience/demographic which will dislike it and show that on the reviews.

If you look at popular/renown anime which aren't that polarizing they have mostly positive reviews. (fullmetal alchemist, Cowboy Bebob just to name two)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 1, 2019 4:16 AM
Jul 2018
writing them ofc is a form of productivity but that is as far as it goes..
Mar 1, 2019 4:43 AM

Feb 2010
Basically I just think haters are more likely to feel the need to spend a lot of time on a show (including writing or making reviews), because hate is a better psychological motivator for most people (which is why humanity is so fucked up). Plus as some people in this thread have pointed out, humanity is so toxic by nature that a lot of people find it more enjoyable to read negative reviews shitting on something than either neutral ones or positive ones trying to spread love. What are you gonna do about that? I don't think you can counteract the toxic nature of the majority of humanity, except maybe with a purge :>.
AlcoholicideMar 1, 2019 4:59 AM
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 1, 2019 4:45 AM

May 2014
Negative reviews of something are usually a lot more entertaining to read.
Mar 1, 2019 8:58 AM

Mar 2017
yeah I hate anyone that give negative reviews to anime I like!! they're all trolls and they just didn't understand the show. Why are there reviews popular? It makes me cry knowing that people criticize something I like. If only the top reviews were positive ones :((((

Mar 1, 2019 9:00 AM

Nov 2016
iasuru said:
UNKWONTONIC said:

Most of them are Essays that can be Summarized as "I didn't like it so Noone Should."
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 1, 2019 9:06 AM

Nov 2016
I don't mind Negative reviews. The ones I don't like are the ones that make it Cristal Clear that they only read the Sinopsis for the show and Said they had read/watched the minimum they have to to publish the review.

I can get behind any opinion if it has good arguments. If just can't get people who like to blindly hate on anything.
Mar 1, 2019 9:17 AM

Dec 2018
Anywhere you go, on any subject, you’re going to find negative reviews. Some genuine criticism, some people just like to shit on things to prove their “refined taste” (and I don’t mean this directed souly at MAL although it does apply here, this is true in a broad sense. Food critics, movie critics, music critics etc.)

If I read a review I try to aim for middle scores because I feel they are usually the most objective and acknowledge the good and the bad. If someone gives something a perfect score they’re obviously a huge fan and possibly biased, the same can be said for the inverse about a bad score being an avid hater and being biased.

I don’t think trolling is the case very often, especially with higher rated reviews, it more likely just comes across that way because their hatred for the show is so strong they come across irrational in their review. It could also just be a case of you misinterpreting a joke. For example I noticed you mentioned the Slime show, I read a review on that which started by saying “this is really called ‘That time I was reincarnated as a loli’ the slime part is fake” which isn’t really trolling (and also very true lol), more so just a comedic way to start a review and grab the readers interest, aka a hook.

Regardless of all that though, the most important point I would stress is to try and take reviews with a grain of salt and not let them affect your opinion if the shows premise interests you. It’s better to build your own opinions and think for yourself. You could pick up something someone else missed, or just have different tastes all together. The best thing to do in my opinion would be to avoid anime reviews all together.

Also I don’t think reviews affect the score but I could be wrong, I assumed it was based off peoples listed scores, because you can list something as one number, but then give it a different number all together in a review.
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Mar 1, 2019 9:30 AM
Jul 2018
Pullman said:
Basically I just think haters are more likely to feel the need to spend a lot of time on a show (including writing or making reviews), because hate is a better psychological motivator for most people (which is why humanity is so fucked up). Plus as some people in this thread have pointed out, humanity is so toxic by nature that a lot of people find it more enjoyable to read negative reviews shitting on something than either neutral ones or positive ones trying to spread love. What are you gonna do about that? I don't think you can counteract the toxic nature of the majority of humanity, except maybe with a purge :>.

Both are sides of the same coin, if you focus on either too much it will lead you in messed up places. There has to be a certain balance, otherwise it doesn't work. No human is positive 24/7 as is no human negative 24/7. Daoism bro.

Also what do you people consider negative reviews? A reviewer is a person too, and not an authority figure (unless you view anime reviewers as critics which there simply aren't any in anime). He shares his opinions and views, and you can either take them or ignore. He ain't hurting nobody, the anime industry doesn't care either. Simple as that.
Mar 1, 2019 9:34 AM

Jan 2018
Is this about the bunny girl reviews?
Mar 1, 2019 9:37 AM
Aug 2018
The second highest review for Kaguya-sama criticizes it because "it is immoral to treat love as a game where one wins and the other is a loser". You cannot make this up

Point is most people reviewing anime on MAL are absolutely clueless and are just trying to get attention on the internet to fill a void. Follow people who have been reviewing anime for a long time if you want more objective reviews. Arkada for example has been consistent in the way he reviews shows in his channel for many years, regardless of what you think of his actual opinions.
VictorMitroMar 1, 2019 9:47 AM
Mar 1, 2019 9:43 AM

Sep 2012
People have their own taste and opinion?

still i understand your question.. some good anime have bad reviews and some bad anime have good review..

yet i don't ever look at reviews... just watch the anime and give it a chance no matter how bad it was reviewed because sometime you enjoy low rated anime
Mar 1, 2019 9:43 AM

Mar 2016
even as someone who has written a few reviews myself, I can safetly say that most of the top MAL reviews having negative criticism I've seen are very polarizing, and honestly, I feel like it's more so a "feel-good" attention grabber...something I constantly see on social media.
Mar 1, 2019 10:42 AM

Oct 2018
People that don’t like the show go out of their way to show that, so at the very least they will go to bad review and mark it as helpful
Mar 1, 2019 10:45 AM

Apr 2018
Because most of the people who actually cares about mal reviews are haters.
They're too small of the group to have a big impact on the average score and so they get satisfied with small victories like upvoting negative reviews which just gets a couple of thousands upvotes at best.
DISCAIMER: not saying everyone who upvotes a negative reviews is a blind hater, but I bet a large portion of the people who update reviews haven't even read them.
Mar 1, 2019 11:22 AM

May 2010
Pullman said:

I got my handy dandy death note ready to go

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Mar 1, 2019 11:34 AM

May 2018
There are tons of 10/10 reviews that actually are boring and incompetent fanboyish bullshit.
Negative reviews more often tend to be adequate and interesting.
P.S. If you think that the only bad thing in Darling in the Franx is its ending, then you got some serious issues.
Erased, NGNL and Slime are bullshit too. Why do you think they shouldn't have negative reviews?
Probably it's you who has shit taste, not others. Also, being top rated is not equal to good
Nemo_NiemandMar 1, 2019 11:42 AM

Mar 1, 2019 11:36 AM

Aug 2013
High praise usually attracts equally high criticism. It's as simple as that. And since the praise is so overwhelming, there are fewer negative reviews and so those who dislike the show band up to upvote the most popular negative ones.

Pullman said:
Plus as some people in this thread have pointed out, humanity is so toxic by nature that a lot of people find it more enjoyable to read negative reviews shitting on something than either neutral ones or positive ones trying to spread love. What are you gonna do about that? I don't think you can counteract the toxic nature of the majority of humanity, except maybe with a purge :>.

Saying humanity is toxic because of a negative anime review sounds pretty childish.
Satyr_iconMar 1, 2019 11:41 AM
Mar 1, 2019 12:12 PM
Jul 2018
Too many criticisms = more pushes on the "I find this helpful" button

I kinda get it with Tokyo Ghoul, NGNL, Franxx and SAO (expect a huge hatedom from them). But I kind of agree with you in shows such as Bunny Girl Senpai and Seven Deadly Sins. I don't hate those who hates a certain show. They have few good reasons why they hate those shows and couldn't see the good on them. But yeah, I think the hatedom sometimes take things a bit too far.
Also take a good look on shows like FMAB, Cowboy Bebop, Steins Gate and Clannad After Story. Great shows with positive reviews on the top...
Mar 1, 2019 1:18 PM

Apr 2017
All of the shows you just named are pretty bad imo. That is probably why you are seeing so many negative reviews for them. There is definitely some troll reviews out there, but honestly the only opinion about a show that matters is your own.
Mar 1, 2019 2:11 PM

Aug 2018
I've been saying it for years, MAL top reviews are meaningless ever since they removed the 'Not helpful' button. Having only one button to upvote is stupid, it basically becomes a popularity content with no negative feedback.

Extreme views either positive or negative about a topic are more likely to arouse a reaction and make someone click the button. Facebook's algorithm does something similar.

In addition the people who post a review first will most likely stay on top because of the bandwagon effect. Most people will only see the top review only and a few the top four reviews that are shown by default. Many will not click the 'More reviews' button to see more. This creates a feedback loop where more people are seeing and upvoting the current top 4 furthering the gap between the others.

TheKawaiiToon said:

Also take a good look on shows like FMAB, Cowboy Bebop, Steins Gate and Clannad After Story. Great shows with positive reviews on the top...

Those shows aired when the Not Helpful button also existed. Also Clannad As has a review with a 6 score.

The top review of Clannad AS has 4000+ helpful votes which is 4 times more than the second highest. Wow. FMAB's top is also double of it's second highest.
<Insert clever quote>
Mar 1, 2019 2:16 PM

Jul 2015
"Why are top reviews sometimes always negative" the thread.
Mar 1, 2019 3:03 PM

Oct 2011
Afloo said:
iasuru said:

Most of them are Essays that can be Summarized as "I didn't like it so Noone Should."

Well I read two reviews from the one OP listed (since I've watched them). One was NGNL and the other was Erased, The 4 reviews were pretty good reviews. They even went through every single category. I mean they're pretty subjective reviews but that's what most reviews are. Never had the vibe that it was "I didn't like it so No one should"

The top erased review even said that it had potential: "Erased had some potential, yet failed in executing the basic elements of the show, which was due to the little issues that ultimately snowballed into bigger ones - which is a shame, as its direction and usage of animation was befitting and well executed. "

That's not something you write for indicating that he didn't like it and no one should.

EDIT: I also read the SAO review, he indicated that he liked the art and the music, didn't like the story and characters. Seems fair to me and, again, not an indication of "I didn't like it so No one Should"
Mar 1, 2019 4:14 PM
Jul 2018
I am more in favor for reviews without scores. Though I am not sure if it could be implemented here. This would give readers a more objective view, instead of seeing the scores and becoming biased from the start. It would also help the authors in focusing on their presentation more.

Personally nowadays I abstain from writing reviews. They spoil the enjoyment of a series if you have to take notes every time about what to praise or criticize. For series I did not like and wanted to drop, watching became a torture.

I'd write a presentation of an obscure series without problem though, not a review
Mar 1, 2019 6:15 PM

May 2018
It's true, I find that the reviews on MAL are all the time negative while sometimes we talk about a masterpiece, or even good anime, but people on MAL still look for very wacky negatives...
 Pin en Wallpapers Blue Lock Anime GIF - Blue Lock Anime - Discover &amp; Share GIFs
Mar 7, 2019 4:39 PM

Aug 2017
Also, in my opinion negativity > positivity.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 7, 2019 4:44 PM

Oct 2013
Human beings are toxic by nature. Writing negative reviews and liking one gives some sense of satisfaction.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 9 hours ago

22 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
16 seconds ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 21 minutes ago

7 by Theo1899 »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

71 by Kundi-Man »»
6 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

94 by traed »»
9 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

210 by perseii »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.