Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 28, 2019 10:54 PM

Aug 2012
They seem too docile. The girls I get but boys are not like that. We did mock fights with sticks we practiced hitting stuff woth rocks we took the knives from the kitchen to play with them. One of my oldest memories is cutting my hand while trying to cut a quince. And they are always so clean. Mud was a kid best toy both boys and girls.
Feb 28, 2019 11:32 PM

Aug 2012
Viltas said:
Yeah part of me agrees but you have to keep the setting in mind. But I also remember that when I played with other kids and we were just I guess you could say roleplaying I was pretty into it and as docile too when older kids were around I'd have done nearly everything they commanded me to. But every once in a while you would just do something entirely random and stupid, guaranteed.
The setting is kids living in the countryside with no tv no computer games. If it were some sterile environment like in the movie the island for instance might make sense but those kids do not feel the need to explore to find bugs and critters to do anything kids do. And I agree with you if someone has your eyes on you you will behave but I was a kid and took care of small kids and it just takes a half of minute to take your eyes off them and their gone trying to do something they shouldn't. As a kid you always try to test how far can you go before you get in trouble. Even shuttins do this.
Mar 1, 2019 1:30 AM

Apr 2018
Sounds like something an 80 years old man would say
Mar 1, 2019 6:37 AM

Sep 2016
These kids are not your average 11-year olds. As they have been repeatedly saying this from the beginning that these kids are "special". Their IQ is higher than the average kid and their mentality and level of maturity are different too. They are much more advanced. They are too mature to play in the mud and shit that normal kids do in our world lmao.
Mar 1, 2019 9:29 AM
Jul 2016
nightcrawlercyp said:
They seem too docile. The girls I get but boys are not like that. We did mock fights with sticks we practiced hitting stuff woth rocks we took the knives from the kitchen to play with them. One of my oldest memories is cutting my hand while trying to cut a quince. And they are always so clean. Mud was a kid best toy both boys and girls.

2 dimensional characters. Kids behaviours are written super flat.
Mar 1, 2019 9:35 AM
Jul 2016
NothinComplexPls said:
These kids are not your average 11-year olds. As they have been repeatedly saying this from the beginning that these kids are "special". Their IQ is higher than the average kid and their mentality and level of maturity are different too. They are much more advanced. They are too mature to play in the mud and shit that normal kids do in our world lmao.

Thats just a cop out for bad writing. The smarter kids are the more problematic they become. Genius kids still fight, still have hierarchical games they run amongst themselves etc etc.
Mar 1, 2019 10:43 AM

Aug 2012
Akerakai said:
Really?! Why do you think so?
Mar 1, 2019 10:48 AM

Aug 2012
ItsBritneyBitch said:
NothinComplexPls said:

Thats just a cop out for bad writing. The smarter kids are the more problematic they become. Genius kids still fight, still have hierarchical games they run amongst themselves etc etc.
Yes, my point exactly. Also too mature to play in the mud? Is like saying after an age you are too old for a snow fight. You may not have the time or the disposition anymore but for some things you are never too old.
Mar 1, 2019 12:02 PM

Sep 2016
Emma said one time that the white clothes show any evidence of dirty so play in mud probably isn't allowed at GF
I think that they probably have some rule about keep themselves clean or something like that
But talking about play like kids:
There's an extra that happened 6 years before the anime started where all the kids were playing at the snow while Emma and Ray had a snowball fight, because of this Norman got sick and no one could enter inside his room, but Emma broke that rule twice (and it was Ray's fault), so Mama literally tied her and covered Ray mouth
What changes is that now they're full time busy with the escape so obviously we won't see the full score trio playing like a normal kid
The other kids still playing but we don't see it because now they don't matter for the story so it's almost no screentime for them
By the way we even had an episode that beginned with a kid literally receiving a ball with his face

(Sorry for any mistakes, english isn't my native language)
Mar 1, 2019 12:14 PM

Aug 2012
NARUTOOOOOOOOOOO said:
Emma said one time that the white clothes show any evidence of dirty so play in mud probably isn't allowed at GF
I think that they probably have some rule about keep themselves clean or something like that
But talking about play like kids:
There's an extra that happened 6 years before the anime started where all the kids were playing at the snow while Emma and Ray had a snowball fight, because of this Norman got sick and no one could enter inside his room, but Emma broke that rule twice (and it was Ray's fault), so Mama literally tied her and covered Ray mouth
What changes is that now they're full time busy with the escape so obviously we won't see the full score trio playing like a normal kid
The other kids still playing but we don't see it because now they don't matter for the story so it's almost no screentime for them
By the way we even had an episode that beginned with a kid literally receiving a ball with his face

(Sorry for any mistakes, english isn't my native language)
Thank you for the explanation .It makes sense at least in part.
Mar 2, 2019 12:40 AM

Sep 2016
ItsBritneyBitch said:
NothinComplexPls said:

They do fight though. They compete with each other by playing the tag game. And if you mean fighting as in literal fist fights then again, I'll say they are too civilized for that. They're smart and they know better.
NothinComplexPlsMar 2, 2019 12:48 AM
Mar 2, 2019 12:45 AM

Sep 2016
nightcrawlercyp said:
Also too mature to play in the mud? Is like saying after an age you are too old for a snow fight. You may not have the time or the disposition anymore but for some things you are never too old.

Well, some people just don't like playing in the mud?
They did have snow-fights though btw.
Mar 2, 2019 12:48 AM

Sep 2016
Akerakai said:

Lmfao pretty accurate.
Mar 2, 2019 2:56 AM

Dec 2016
Would you like the kids to get off your lawn as well?
Mar 2, 2019 4:24 AM

Aug 2012
SSL443 said:
Would you like the kids to get off your lawn as well?
:)) I have no lawn . I just grew on the country side. And I am not that old. Anyone over 20 can support my claims. The world changed so much in the last 10 years that you cannot imagine when kids played in the yard apparently. As Carlin said: do kids today even know what a stick is?
Mar 2, 2019 1:54 PM

Dec 2016
nightcrawlercyp said:
:)) I have no lawn . I just grew on the country side. And I am not that old. Anyone over 20 can support my claims. The world changed so much in the last 10 years that you cannot imagine when kids played in the yard apparently. As Carlin said: do kids today even know what a stick is?

I don't support your claims though.
Mar 3, 2019 2:55 AM

Aug 2012
SSL443 said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

I don't support your claims though.
You make me sad. I am sorry for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6wOt2iXdc4
Mar 3, 2019 11:08 AM
Jul 2016
NothinComplexPls said:
ItsBritneyBitch said:

They do fight though. They compete with each other by playing the tag game. And if you mean fighting as in literal fist fights then again, I'll say they are too civilized for that. They're smart and they know better.

Fight as in having conflicts of personalities, power dynamics, cliques. You demonstrate my point by amounting any conflict to as much as 'a game of tag'. No one is too smart to have intense disagreements, for a volatile temperament, insecurities or coming of age.

It is what it is, there's no need for backroad explanations.
The show is interesting to watch, the characters just leave much to be desired.
In fact, I'd be surprised if anyone would be griefed if a kid or even a Emma/Norman etc were killed. Because the things I listed as absent; are the very things that we all had growing up in some way or another. Since they don't, they are unrelatable and if they die, they die. No time to cherish any character.

If otherwise, which kid would you be so sorrowful if they died and why?
ItsBritneyBitchMar 3, 2019 11:12 AM
Mar 3, 2019 9:55 PM

Aug 2012
ItsBritneyBitch said:
NothinComplexPls said:

Fight as in having conflicts of personalities, power dynamics, cliques. You demonstrate my point by amounting any conflict to as much as 'a game of tag'. No one is too smart to have intense disagreements, for a volatile temperament, insecurities or coming of age.

It is what it is, there's no need for backroad explanations.
The show is interesting to watch, the characters just leave much to be desired.
In fact, I'd be surprised if anyone would be griefed if a kid or even a Emma/Norman etc were killed. Because the things I listed as absent; are the very things that we all had growing up in some way or another. Since they don't, they are unrelatable and if they die, they die. No time to cherish any character.

If otherwise, which kid would you be so sorrowful if they died and why?
Maybe Ray... but as you said no time taken to cherish any character
Mar 3, 2019 10:52 PM

Jun 2017
Kids playing in the mud is not shown in the story? Why such a scenario is even necessary to show? We can assume whatever we want about their games. That is not relevant at all. Next someone else is gonna complain that they are not playing baseball or they are not participating in some coloring/singing contests.
Mar 4, 2019 5:26 AM

Aug 2012
Chrome_Falcon said:
Kids playing in the mud is not shown in the story? Why such a scenario is even necessary to show? We can assume whatever we want about their games. That is not relevant at all. Next someone else is gonna complain that they are not playing baseball or they are not participating in some coloring/singing contests.
That was just an example. Kids on the country side before smartphones and tablets used to play with whatever was available in the yard.
Mar 4, 2019 10:26 AM

Jun 2011
Well, if they were to get their bright white clothes dirty all the time that would probably be troublesome for them as they do have to clean after themselves after all:

It's quite an effective way of making kids more responsible, I guess..
Apr 8, 2019 8:12 AM

Apr 2015
ItsBritneyBitch said:
NothinComplexPls said:

You can't make assumptions like that for every child that exists. I know kids who are unnaturally saint-like.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 8, 2019 8:17 AM
Jul 2016
CatSoul said:
ItsBritneyBitch said:

You can't make assumptions like that for every child that exists. I know kids who are unnaturally saint-like.

So lets make all the children that way so we don't have to bother with a diverse & dynamic cast...
Oct 21, 2019 5:30 AM
Jun 2014
nightcrawlercyp said:

Like someone else said, most of these actions can be inferred to happen off-screen. You get hints that they exhibit rowdy behavior off-screen by a few moments happening on screen. You see Don punching out Ray and Norman when he loses his temper. He grabs Emma by the collar about to do the same to her but remembers shes a girl. They practice stealing and sneaking things around, as you can see again with Don stealing a room key. They tackle each other and play hide n seek in the woods every day. Their clothes must be dirt proof tbh.

But one major element in why they seem more sterile than real kids?
The mother is constantly watching them. She has no other life except in her kids now. These aren't your every day nannies. They went to super nanny camp. And these mothers' survival literally depends on ensuring the kids don't rebel while dangerously giving them a balance of being free-range stock for the sake of the meat quality. Combine that with all these other factors and then it becomes easy to believe why these kids seem so well-behaved.
Oct 21, 2019 6:44 AM

Aug 2012
tonecameg said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

Like someone else said, most of these actions can be inferred to happen off-screen. You get hints that they exhibit rowdy behavior off-screen by a few moments happening on screen. You see Don punching out Ray and Norman when he loses his temper. He grabs Emma by the collar about to do the same to her but remembers shes a girl. They practice stealing and sneaking things around, as you can see again with Don stealing a room key. They tackle each other and play hide n seek in the woods every day. Their clothes must be dirt proof tbh.

But one major element in why they seem more sterile than real kids?
The mother is constantly watching them. She has no other life except in her kids now. These aren't your every day nannies. They went to super nanny camp. And these mothers' survival literally depends on ensuring the kids don't rebel while dangerously giving them a balance of being free-range stock for the sake of the meat quality. Combine that with all these other factors and then it becomes easy to believe why these kids seem so well-behaved.
Wow, an old post. Someone made the same comment before and makes sense. I just wanted to see that on screen, but I think that considering they had to fit all in that amount of episodes they did a great job.

More topics from this board

» I'm in a dilemma help ( 1 2 )

Saphhh - Mar 25

51 by EpicAlphaMale »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Best Season of Anime Ever?

bigeli2020 - Jul 18, 2022

47 by Zimmu »»
Mar 25, 12:35 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2019

567 by Sus_baby »»
Mar 25, 12:53 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2019

295 by Yanarsen »»
Mar 4, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2019

245 by WuzWutz »»
Feb 22, 7:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.