Forum Settings
Forums

Why do anime usually have such poor worldbuilding?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 28, 2019 12:12 AM

Oct 2018
I don’t get this post. I could name numerous anime with fantastic world building. Also using examples like konosuba is kind of dumb. A comedy anime doesn’t need world building. And as for most of your other examples, the world building is never the main focus. The setting and plot is layer out at the beginning, but they focus more on action and important events, not developing the world in which is revolves around.

Feb 28, 2019 12:18 AM

Apr 2015
Hey, One Piece has fantastic worldbuilding. I will agree that Goblin Slayer, Shield Hero, and practically every other current fantasy isekai have some of the most generic, cookie-cutter fantasy settiings.
My signature got deleted and I can't be bothered to make a new one.
Feb 28, 2019 3:32 AM
Jul 2018
because obviously they dont even need it to have people watch it, why would they bother wasting time on world building if they can just go with the same thing everyone does
Feb 28, 2019 3:37 AM

Sep 2015
A lot of anime have great world building. Some anime don't. I think that's mostly because some series, are too short to fully adapt and develop the world, characters and story.
Feb 28, 2019 4:36 AM

Jul 2013
Kind of ignored the whole thread so I have no idea if this has been recommended yet but The Ancient Magus Bride has pretty good world building I would say. And it isn't a generic isekai show. Just a pure fantasy slice of life magic show.
Feb 28, 2019 6:50 PM
Jul 2018
I don't really think anime has a world-building problem, more so the presentation is where I would personally draw most of my complaints when it comes to anime. I do see why you wouldn't like anime's world-building, my main problem would be overexplaining. For instance, in Sword Art Online, you'll have characters go on and on about small details on the story in general(which extends to the world building).

Another example, of this type of world-building, is in SSY as Shun(in episode 10) spends minutes explaining the difference between conscious and subconscious thoughts and how this relates to his current situation. Like, shouldn't the teen audience in Japan(one of the most academic countries), know half of this? You don't need to explain most of it. The show should've just said X is controlled by the subconscious and be done with it(as tediously explaining the nuance of it wasn't needed to understand the story, nothing visually interesting came out of it, and it wasn't used to help Shun out as a character(unlike the basics which did have all of this), I have no reason to care about the details). Furthermore, did you know that certain story elements in SSY were based upon Ethology?

This kind of world building is the story equivalent of an original character having a bio of a bunch of specific likes and dislikes that would never be used. It seems like the writer got too excited and then overwhelmed me with a bunch of stuff I have no incentive to memorize. Unless there's a hook about why I should be interested in this detail, it doesn't really matter to me. I think anime suffers from this problem more than reused worlds(which is something I have yet to come across).
removed-userFeb 28, 2019 8:29 PM
Feb 28, 2019 8:10 PM

Dec 2008
I think that the majority of anime series that I've watched have built credible worlds-some that really standout would be Escaflowne, El Hazard-The Magnificent World, Ghost In The Shell and many others. You're not always going to get the world building like you have in Game Of Thrones.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Feb 28, 2019 10:06 PM
Jul 2018
zrdb said:
I think that the majority of anime series that I've watched have built credible worlds-some that really standout would be Escaflowne, El Hazard-The Magnificent World, Ghost In The Shell and many others. You're not always going to get the world building like you have in Game Of Thrones.

All you mentioned are retro, so my point stands. Anime had better worldbuilding in the past compared to today's isekais/shonens.
Feb 28, 2019 10:57 PM

Apr 2011
Long running manga generally have good world building, since that is one of the main focuses of those shows. Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto, One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, Toriko, Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, Shingeki no Kyojin, Until Death Do Us Part, etc.. All these have good-incredible world building.

A lot of anime, however, are relatively short. With their limited time, they can't focus on world building and character development. So they sacrifice the lesser needed area to focus on the more important area. Alternatively, there are those that don't sacrifice world building and still manage to not fuck it up.

Then there are anime that don't need world building, like many SoLs, where the world building simply isn't important whatsoever.

Then there are cash-grabs, which simply don't care what they're putting out because they're following a successful template, i.e. an incredible number of isekai shows that came out after SAO.

And finally, we have those shows that try to build the world, but simply fail to do so because the writer doesn't know how to.
Mar 1, 2019 8:35 AM

Jul 2015
@yhunata I'm not sure about the long running manga bit. It seems to me that a lot of people equate quantity with quality in that department. Dragon Ball for example threw its whole world building and atmosphere when they brought up Sangoku's extraterrestrial origins, and while the universe of DBZ is biiiiiiiig, I'm not sure of it's good in the sens that it's not particularly well though-out, or supporting the manga's... themes and stuff (my face when DBZ actually has no themes anyway). It's just a bunch of planets and people, and every generic space opera/heroic fantasy shlock can do (and does) the same thing.
Mar 1, 2019 2:51 PM
Jul 2018
All isekai anime post Sword Art Online, would focus on the hero's journey and so the world-building becomes like an afterthought. The writers of these new isekai stories just want to focus on the heroes and what can they do so the world building in these sort of stories aren't that important and that's why they appear to be lackluster.
Mar 1, 2019 3:14 PM
Jul 2018
arielikesall said:
All isekai anime post Sword Art Online, would focus on the hero's journey and so the world-building becomes like an afterthought. The writers of these new isekai stories just want to focus on the heroes and what can they do so the world building in these sort of stories aren't that important and that's why they appear to be lackluster.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the answer!
Mar 1, 2019 3:29 PM

Mar 2016
Because there are cannot carry the whole story/arc just with a fucking 12 episodes or 24 episodes. A long eps will mostly always have good worldbuilding in my opinion

Mar 1, 2019 3:39 PM
Jul 2018
DrakoWiz said:
zrdb said:

All you mentioned are retro, so my point stands. Anime had better worldbuilding in the past compared to today's isekais/shonens.

People just love to lump things together. What's the problem with al of them? Last time I checked they all were different and had their own setting. Today there are also original Urban Fantasy settings.
So I guess you just want to wear the nostalgic glasses.
Like, many of mine were new and there is sure a lot of settings today that are very different to the typical High Fantasy settings.
Mar 2, 2019 3:07 AM

Aug 2018
arielikesall said:

+1 to this. This is the most accurate answer I saw for a while.
Mar 2, 2019 4:24 PM

May 2013
Good ideas don't necessarily translate into good mediums and vice versa.

Mar 2, 2019 5:18 PM

Dec 2008
Maneki-Mew said:
DrakoWiz said:

People just love to lump things together. What's the problem with al of them? Last time I checked they all were different and had their own setting. Today there are also original Urban Fantasy settings.
So I guess you just want to wear the nostalgic glasses.
Like, many of mine were new and there is sure a lot of settings today that are very different to the typical High Fantasy settings.

I did say "and many others"-just because my examples are older series doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of series today that do really good world building. Please don't put words into my mouth that I didn't say.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Mar 3, 2019 1:10 AM

Oct 2017
DrakoWiz said:
zrdb said:

Nah Record of the Lodoss War is probably the most generic fantasy story I have seen and that came out in the early 90's. Also you can find modern equivalents like Psycho Pass with Ghost in the Shell. Golden Kamuy is based off history but it does a good job going very into Ainu culture so there is another recent title that had good world building (well researched apparently too). Made in Abyss is probably one of the better cases of world building i have seen in anime period and that came out in 2017. You also got an upcoming series in Vinland Saga that goes pretty in-depth about medieval Scandinavian culture and Early medieval Europe. Carol and Tuesday also has promise considering who is directing it.
BilboBaggins365Mar 3, 2019 1:15 AM
Mar 3, 2019 1:30 AM

Apr 2011
Deathko said:
@yhunata I'm not sure about the long running manga bit. It seems to me that a lot of people equate quantity with quality in that department. Dragon Ball for example threw its whole world building and atmosphere when they brought up Sangoku's extraterrestrial origins, and while the universe of DBZ is biiiiiiiig, I'm not sure of it's good in the sens that it's not particularly well though-out, or supporting the manga's... themes and stuff (my face when DBZ actually has no themes anyway). It's just a bunch of planets and people, and every generic space opera/heroic fantasy shlock can do (and does) the same thing.

Except it does support it relatively well. Goku's the only person in the entire pre-Z DragonBall with a tail and Were-Ape thing. It's also stated that Gohan found him in the forest, so his origins being something mysterious was already foreshadowed. Signs pointing to him not being Terran were there from the bery start. The rest is subjective. I'd say that Dragon Ball does a decent job of building the world and lore, though there are much better shounen that came after it that did it much better: see One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, FMA, etc.

And I'm not saying long running manga because of quantity or anything. It's kind of like how most shounen are actually better harem manga than actual harem manga. The focus of the series is different, which necessitates building the world along with the characters and of course there are long-runners with shitty world building.
Aug 23, 2019 3:57 AM
Oct 2018
2ego said:

Hunter x Hunter (2011)

hxh world is just like earth but with dragons, strange creatures and superpowers that don't afferct society in any way
Aug 23, 2019 4:06 AM

May 2014
One Piece, Juuni Kokuki and Made in Abyss stand out for having really great world building. It's true that there's a lot of anime that just doesn't go into detail about its world, but there's a lot that do it really well.
Aug 23, 2019 9:22 AM
Apr 2016
alberto662 said:
2ego said:

Hunter x Hunter (2011)

hxh world is just like earth but with dragons, strange creatures and superpowers that don't afferct society in any way
Have you even seen HxH?
Aug 23, 2019 9:29 AM
Jul 2018
I think there are many shows with good and decent worldbuilding. It also matters what kind of show you are watching. I don't really expect a comedy anime to have amazing worldbuilding, ex lucky stars, gekkan shoujo. It also depends what studio is doing it and how the backgrounds look. The simplest locations can be made interesting.

At the end of the day, series with bad worldbuilding are the reason of studios not giving love to an adaptation and/or bad source material.
Aug 23, 2019 11:00 AM

Jul 2013
Complaining about worldbuilding in Konosuba? What drugs are you on?
Aug 23, 2019 10:44 PM
Dec 2016
i don’t think it’s that anime has poor worldbuilding, it’s just that the isekai genre is popular and as a result, there’s a lotta that going on. there’s plenty of anime with great worldbuilding. off the top of my head, there’s hxh, made in abyss, mushishi, fullmetal alchemist, cowboy bebop, etc.
Aug 23, 2019 10:48 PM
Nov 2017
alberto662 said:
2ego said:

Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Dude, I watched HxH and never see a dragon. The villains in HxH is almost all humans too, except for one arc. Why are you judging something without watching it first?
Aug 23, 2019 10:52 PM
Nov 2017
Made in abyss is one of the most beautiful world building in anime. If you refer manga as well, Berserk is one of the greatest world building, which also inspired Dark Souls.

Another great world building are one piece (it's a shonen thou, I don't know if you will like it or not), Mushishi (not anime for everyone, but still), Dororo, The Promise Neverland (the anime isn't there yet, but the manga is) and all of Ghibli movies.

Edit : I agree with your comment saying that isekai anime is a poor world building. For me, beside for Konoshuba, they are just a cash grab with waifu and got sent into another world. It has no direction as well, so of course the world building will be just a copy-paste from another isekai anime, what did you expect?
Aug 23, 2019 11:11 PM

Sep 2013
mohrip said:
Edit : I agree with your comment saying that isekai anime is a poor world building. For me, beside for Konoshuba, they are just a cash grab with waifu and got sent into another world. It has no direction as well, so of course the world building will be just a copy-paste from another isekai anime, what did you expect?
Watch Pause and Effect's videos on isekai. Worldbuilding in fantasy isekai tends to be entirely dependent on the audience's familiarity with JRPG worlds and mechanics. IMO, they cannot make sense outside of pre-informed perspective.
Aug 23, 2019 11:12 PM

Oct 2013
Wow "if I have to suffer through another..." Jesus, how hard is it to understand no ones forcing people to watch things they don't like. If those kind of shows make someone "suffer", here's a thought, watch a different genre. Seriously, it amazes me the things people will bitch about.
Aug 24, 2019 1:13 AM

Oct 2010
I dunno about some of the examples I've read. I don't think that the worldbuilding of Kemono no Souja Erin is that outstanding for instance. It may be the worst part of the show actually. The strongest aspect about this series is the personal development of the MC, but several surrounding elements and factors appear underdeveloped and sketchy in comparison.

I would second Made in Abyss though. It has just so much potential. One Piece is another example yet inevitably rough in some edges after expanding it so much.
jal90Aug 24, 2019 1:18 AM
Aug 24, 2019 1:57 AM

Sep 2018
If we count Sci-fi and Fantasy we have a few shows with decent worldbuilding but the ones with truly great,epic and complex worlds can be counted on one hand.
We have FEW more good worlds that are not "epic" in the sense of scale, but they are still only FEW of them.

rohan121 said:
I think the setting is not as prioritized as the actual story and characters for many anime which results in a lack of world building. Shorter series do not have as much time to do this also which may also contribute to it.

I think most authors don't have the time to build a big ass world, the anime and manga industrie is competative as fuck. In the west we have much more series that get Story,Characters and Worldbuilding right, but the authors of those books release a book in 4 years (unless you are named Brando Sando, a book a year is not even a Challenge), in Japan they are under much more pressure and don't have the time and money to study geography only for the sake of good Worldbuilding.

-Mullerio-Aug 24, 2019 2:13 AM
Aug 24, 2019 2:31 AM

Apr 2019
World building is not rewarded by the main anime demographic and so it has lousy payback in terms of quick cash return vs. effort and time invested. Think of it like the 80:20 rule, aka Pareto Principle. You get a generic yet marketable world/story/cast/show with 80% of the effort, and a great show by adding the extra 20%. But that 20% (for world building and deep characterization) take the same amount of writing time than the first 80%.

World building from a writer’s point of view requires to flesh out details you never directly use in the show. You pretty much write background stories for the chars but never actually tell them, you "just" end up with a rounded character with in-world consistent behavior. Similar for the world itself, you need some history, economy, politics, "rules" for magic if you use it etc. pp. And again you never directly use them, and if you do so in the form of voice-over or inner monologue, you usually become boring and pretentious. You can use all this effort only in the form of small details many viewers will not even notice.

Then, there is pacing and buildup. Many people have the attention span of a slightly retarded fruit fly. The time used to build the world and chars is perceived as “filler”, “slow show”, “boring” too often. There is a reason why many of the shows listed in this thread are considered "elitist crap", think about it ...

And it is hard to do world building well, look at the millions of bad fantasy novels out there (a super-set of bad isekai light novels). Talented writers and good ideas for a consistent world do not grow on trees, a single person may be able to give birth to one or two really good worlds in his/her life. Tolkien built one, GRRM built several, Lovecraft pretty much only built one.

So in the end it is not a limit of anime, it is a limit of human creativity made worse by the requirement to earn money with it.

Aug 24, 2019 3:32 PM
Oct 2018
mohrip said:
alberto662 said:

Dude, I watched HxH and never see a dragon. The villains in HxH is almost all humans too, except for one arc. Why are you judging something without watching it first?

i love the series, and i have seen it entirely, do i need to remind you about ging in a fucking dragon? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_7sND2w0B8 netero and zeno in another dragon ? https://youtu.be/FmiOThechw4
please say that there are no dragons
Aug 24, 2019 3:52 PM
Dec 2018
This Thread was necrod out of the very depths of Mal.

Let the dead rest. :(
Aug 24, 2019 3:55 PM

Mar 2016
Why do western TV shows and films have little to no world building sans a few film series is the real question. :P
Aug 24, 2019 3:58 PM

Aug 2018
removed-user said:
For all of you that say Konosuba is comedy so there should not be wordbuilding, remember Slayers? It is the same thing, but older and better.

Maneki-Mew said:

You are only speaking about some Isekais, but that copy-paste fantasy world is not a "problem" of anime alone. There are tons of copy-paste Tolkien rip-off novels in the west too.

Okay, I only can name high fantasy-like settings and others except science fiction and urban fantasy etc., I personally found interesting and appealing to me, so of course I'm kinda biased for them (no order):

Fullmetal Alchemist - A steampunk world with alchemy powers. There are a lot, a lot of details to them and it's a great worldbuilding.
Attack on Titan - A special setting between high fantasy and steampunk, it's imo pretty original and the author seemed to overthink a lot of details, also from the daily life in the world.
Houseki no Kuni - Never have seen something like that. It's about gems, who look like people, in a future world without humans.
Shinsekai Yori - Also a very special setting in an utopian future and people have powers and live in small villages in a seemingly peaceful world.
Made in Abyss - Very special setting with an abyss people want to explore. There are a lot of interesting creatures and plants and the author put a lot of details into it.
Children of the Whales - An utopian island with people, who have magic powers, but in exchange to that, they will die early. I think their society is very interesting too.
D.Gray-man - Pretty dark steampunk world with demons and teenager from an order fighting against these demons, which are reincarnated souls.
The Promised Neverland - A seemingly peaceful orphanage, but the kids find out they are demon food and try to escape and survive.
12 Kingdoms - It's on first glance a normal isekai fantasy world with mythological creatures etc., but their designs are really creative and you see creatures you normally wouldn't see in such a world. Also it's a lot about politics there.
Inuyasha - Also an Isekai, but the female protagonists lands in a Japanese medieval age with a lot of demons and Japanese mythology.
Dororo - Same, Japanese medieval age with mythological creatures.
Mo Dao Zu Shi - Chinese medieval story with dark fantasy.
Magi - It's an arabic-esque adventure with magic and all.
Arslan Senki - A "normal" historical war story, but it's not european
Shoukoku no Altair - Same, it's a turkish-esque setting
Akatsuki no Yona - Same, it's Korean and has also fantasy in it

I bet I forgot a lot. xD

There are a bunch of interesting scifi and urban fantasy settings too imo. And some great dystopia.

I never said that only anime suffers from that. I've read plenty of high fantasy novel series, and at worst they are still better at it than anime at average.
Most you mentioned I've seen, or are based on older shows. I guess I should have specified, I mean modern stuff, I know most of the old.

Mo Dao Zu Shi seems interesting tho.
Slayer is closer to a battle shounen than a comedy, and it has a "serious" plot. Konosuba is almost pure comedy.

PS: after season 2 Slayers isn't that great imo, it feels like there isn't any character development in the other and the plot becomes repetitive. So imo, konosuba is better... and I like old stuff, so I'm not an oldie hater.
Aug 24, 2019 4:12 PM

Aug 2018
People are attracted to money so of course theyre gonna milk isekai tropes by making more and more power fantasies with the same world building, a lot of LN authors and studios are attracted to isekai because they see thats where the money is, madhouse tried it with ngnl, got successful, kinema tried it with shield hero, got successful, white fox tried it with re zero, you get the point.

Other than that these are very much not most animes, not even that large of a chunk, most notable animes from recent seasons and years are not the same generic isekais and you should just not watch a generic isekai if you think they are poorly made, after all youre in mal where you can see exactly what people think about it

Ps, there are so many fantasy animes out there, even from recent seasons that have unique and well thought out world building, if you look for those youre definitely gonna find them
Aug 24, 2019 4:17 PM

Jul 2017
thevagus said:
@DrakoWiz you shouldn't drop gintama just after 30 episodes. atleast give it a try until benizakura arc which is about episode 48 and the show after that is pure gold.
LMAO so some people actually think you should watch over 40 episodes to know if it's worth dropping or not
Aug 24, 2019 4:38 PM
Jul 2018
The answer is that most of these isekai anime are based on light novels, and most of these light novels are aimed at middle schoolers who don't like to read. It's just a way of enticing kids into begrudgingly reading a book by promising cool video games and waifus. 12 year olds that don't want to read in the first place are only going to be turned off even more by politics and magibabble.
removed-userAug 24, 2019 4:54 PM
Aug 25, 2019 2:16 AM

Oct 2017
Because many don't need good worldbuilding to make them great.

Isekai is just the same thing over and over again and it's really annoying.
Aug 25, 2019 4:41 AM

Jan 2018
Rest in isekai. You shall be missed op. I think Sword Art Online Alice has that giga waifu material enough to build a world of your own. Sweet chin music!
Aug 25, 2019 5:25 AM

Apr 2014
mainly serves as an ad to the manga, if you want the complete thing then you gotta buy some reading glasses
Aug 25, 2019 5:34 AM

Feb 2010
My first thought was 'this guy isn't talking about worldbuilding, as in the process and execution of how these worlds are introduced to us over time and organically grow'. He's just talking about the originality of the setting, which is a very different thing in more than one way. Worldbuilding is a dynamic, ongoing process, Setting is a static concept. And originality and quality are not always directly related in either of these areas.

Then I scrolled down and realized I already made that exact argument whent he thread was first created, so I don't have to do it again. Yay.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 1, 2019 1:18 AM

Dec 2017
Zehennagel said:
thevagus said:
@DrakoWiz you shouldn't drop gintama just after 30 episodes. atleast give it a try until benizakura arc which is about episode 48 and the show after that is pure gold.
LMAO so some people actually think you should watch over 40 episodes to know if it's worth dropping or not

That anime has fucking 367 episodes. You can't really judge a book by it's cover.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Sep 1, 2019 5:16 AM

Jul 2017
thevagus said:
Zehennagel said:

That anime has fucking 367 episodes. You can't really judge a book by it's cover.
when I've read 20 pages of a book 367 pages long and I think it's shit I won't keep reading it. "by it's cover" haha what a stupid hyperball.
you actually think we have to watch 15 hours of content to know if we're gonna like the anime.

anyway if you think like that you're gonna miss a lot of good animes/series.
"wHaT iSN'T iT tHe OppOsIte??" no it's not, you waste your time watching mediocre content so you don't have any left for the good ones.
but yes you'll avoid missing that 1 good anime out of the 200 that do in fact turn out shitty lmao.
Dec 17, 2019 10:14 AM
Dec 2019
Pullman said:
DrakoWiz said:

I'll disagree. Even if FT has a larger world, they do not do anything with it. In Bleach the world is smaller, but they do explore the other regions at least. Also for Horizon, I mostly meant the Light Novel, the anime adaptation wa confusing yes, but you see that was because the light novel is a sequel to a previous one, Owari no Chronicle, and hence you need to at least be familiar with what goes on. Hmm, that is why I gave examples like isekais which are set in their own fictional world, and not some random urban setting anime, now did I?

Your thread title says only 'anime', you made this thread in 'anime' discussion. Don't blame me for not being able to read your mind, when you list anime I'm going to talk about those and not about their source material which I haven't even read. There's other places you can go to talk about LNs and whatnot, I'm just commenting on the anime you listed. I this isn't your personal fault, but it always annoys me when people make a discussion thread about anime, talk about nothing but anime in their post, and then suddenly try to debunk my points or counterarguments with some LN/manga/source material that neither of us was talking about before. Stick to the one medium please, otherwise it just becomes confusing and arguments become inconsistent.

The Bleach worldbuilding is just atrocious imo, every new arc basically makes up a new part of the world that hasn't been mentioned before, often not even hinted at. Nothing is planned or foreshadowed, everything is only relevant for the one arc that introduced it out of nowhere and usually drifts into obscurity after it's over. It's just terrible at implementing the worldbuilding, I honestly think it's one of the worst cases of worldbuilding I've ever seen in anything. It doesn't feel like we are learning more about a world that existed from the start, but rather like the author himself just keeps making up random new stuff out of nowhere as he goes. That's the opposite of good worldbuilding to me, which should feel natural and like it was there from the start.

FT has similar issues, but definitely does a much better job of making the different aspects of it count even outside the arc that first introduces them. Makes it feel much more like an actual world rather than a just bunch of isolated worldbuilding aspects with no significange or even presence outside of their one arc. I'm still not very high on Fairy Tail, but I definitely think it beats Bleach, overall and specifically in terms of worldbuilding.

Also idk why you only listed fantasy/isekai examples, I still can't read your mind. It just seemed that they have more in common in regards to the setting and not the worldbuilding so I assumed you're mixing up the two to some degree. This gets backed up by you actually only mentioning the setting being generic in your first sentence as your reason for disliking them. Seems like you're annoyed by that part of it more than anything.

I already gave examples of the good and bad.

Yeah and they don't seem very consisistent or agreeable to me which is what I wrote most of my reply about, not sure how 'I already gave examples that you disagreed with' is any kind of argument here, but okay.

And it's hard to not recognize that all your bad examples are isekai/fantasy titles while the positive examples are much more varied. Not hard to reach the conclusion that you just dislike that type of show, especially since you just grouped a bunch of shows that are trying to do completely things together and criticized them as if they were all the same. It just isn't very effective the way you framed your criticism, it just reeks of bias.

Excuse me, but when I watch a show set in it own fictional world, I expect smt there. Really, Spice and Wolf can't? Have you read the Light Novel? It has a lot of worldbuilding going on. It's own cities, cultures, history.

Again, feel free to discuss light novels in the manga section, but I'm always talking about anime in anime discussion and assume other people are doing the same because otherwise they'd just be off topic. No comment on the LN, but the main appeal and focus of the anime was definitely a lot of other things and not the worldbuilding. There was a bit of it, but it was more incidental than anything.

We ain't talking about every anime here, just about anime set in their own worlds where it is expected to at least have some worldbuilding going on? You are just misunderstanding and coming to your baseless conclusions putting words into my mouth I did not say. Do you disagree that settings set in a medieval world do not need worldbuilding then? If they are historical I can agree, but when they are fictional they do infact need to have smt there.

I'm saying the setting has nothing to do with whether a show needs worldbuilding because the setting has nothing to do with what a show is trying to do conceptually, so being set in a medieval world is irrelevant. You can have a romance or a comedy or an adventure show in that setting, among others. Only one of those needs worldbuilding.

Based on that example I think it's you who aren't understanding my point. If a show sets out to introspectively explore the psyche of certain characters and their relationships and interactions and whatnot, who cares about worldbuilding? If a show sets out to be hilarious and make you laugh and be silly and random, who cares about worldbuilding?

An anime needs to be good at what it is trying to do and if worldbuilding isn't one of those things, it's moot to criticize it for that. I get that you want to see it in more anime, but that's just what you'd like, it completely ignores what the shows you listed are actually trying to do and whether they succeed or fail at that.

A show like KonoSuba doesn't need worldbuilding, it's purely comedical so it should focus and does focus on having funny characters and situations and dialogues and visuals. Who cares about worldbuilding if it makes you laugh a ton every episode like it set out to? Apparently you, for some reason, but it makes no sense to me. Criticing it for something that is so irrelevant to the nature of that show just seems to miss the point for me. It's complaining for the sake of complaining. It's like watching K-On and ranting that there weren't enough sword fights in it.

Criticism should always be about what a show was trying to do and whether it was good or bad at that, and why. Otherwise you're not criticizing the show, you're just ranting about what you would like it to be like if it was a completely different kind of show.

Like now you get to the actual point of my post, wow. And I agree here, these have what I want. I still do not understand why you felt the need to demean me and make an ass of your self, but oh well I guess.

So the point of your post was that there are actually plenty of anime with good worldbuilding and that it's pretty inaccurate to say 'anime usually has poor worldbuilding'? Because that was my point in the paragraph you quoted. To prove wrong your thesis of bad worldbuilding being the norm. In my experience most anime that focus on worldbuilding, do a pretty good job at it.

Also insecure much? If you can't take any criticism of your 'arguments' and opinions without getting all pouty and feeling 'demeaned' and calling me an ass, then idk what you are doing on a forum. If I see someone say stuff that I don't agree with, I'm gonna argue my point. You could do the same or at least just accept the recs for what they are - recommendations - but instead you're just whining about the fact that I dared to argue with your assessment of the examples you listed. What kind of attitude is that to have on a discussion forum?

The whole point is to discuss and argue things, and I'm not gonna pretend I agree with your examples or point just because I'm afraid I might hurt your feelings if I disagree. I'm pretty sure I was being polite and neutral up until now in my disagreements with you, no insults or anything, just making my points like a nerd that cares about arguments and examples. If that's 'making an ass' out of myself, then idk what you are making of yourself right now. But it's definitely something worse than a donkey. Not sure what else to say except for I'm sorry you feel that way? I'm not sorry for anything I said, cause it was all harmless and on topic.

Then a few episodes. Do not take it 100% literal, jeez. I can get a basic understanding of the concept of the show and if I seem to enjoy it I will stick around, even if I do not, I'll give it another few episodes if it has some intriguing ideas before I give up.

That just supports my initial thesis that you are talking more about setting and concept than worldbuilding tho, without realizig it. In the opening post you complain about generic settings, now you talk about understanding the concept of the show after a few eps. Both are understandable statements, but they aren't really related to worldbuilding, which was my point from the start and why I found your whole post to be so inconsistent.

Anything you drop after only a few eps won't be dropped because of worldbuilding since that is something that happens slowly and gradually over time, but because of how much you like or dislike the setting or concept or characters or whatever.

How does bleach not foreshadow anything. The fullbring arc was foreshadowed with ichigos combat pass, the notion of substitute shinigami, rukia knowing away to give a human shinigami powers, it being a crime to transfer shinigami pwoers to human and ichigos nakama powers. The arrancar arc was a natural conclusion to the soul society arc. The soul society arc was foreshadowed with the fly being destroyed after ichigo beat the menos sending info to the gotei 13 and byakuya picking up rukia. The quincy war was foreshadowed with ryuken, ishida, mayuri and soken dialogue. The first arrancar was shown in chapter 25 along with heuco mundo, the first captain we saw was ukitake in chapter 23. The zero squad was mentioned in turn back the pendulum. Menos was seen in chapter 45. If anything every arc is a continuation and is relevant to everything.
Dec 17, 2019 3:15 PM

Sep 2018
Well anime has some low Fantasy shows with good worldbuilding but hardly any hard Fantasy with neat shit, the only ones that come to mind are Berserk and Made in Abyss.

The reason is that anime is a very competitive medium and most dont take the time or have the money to build a world, you need to learn a whole bunch about history/geography and politics. I doubt Tolkin or Brandon were/are under social or economic pressure when building Middle earth or Roshar.
Dec 18, 2019 7:08 AM
Jul 2018
Boku no Pico Academia has one of the poorest worldbuildings in anime history. Green Naruto and Bakuscheiße are some of the most disgusting things present in Shounen anime. F them all.
Dec 18, 2019 7:13 AM

May 2018
Cool story. Op has already been banned lol

Dec 18, 2019 7:16 AM
Jan 2018
Most likely because the anime cuts most world building
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

159 by TitanOfPlasma »»
1 minute ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 2 hours ago

11 by Takuya_Yagami »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - 3 hours ago

12 by APolygons2 »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » slut vs prude waifus

deg - Yesterday

30 by LoveLikeBlood »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 15 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.