Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 24, 2019 8:51 AM

Jun 2015
Do people use discord? I've seen less and less people of MAL in my discord server.
Do people on MAL really use discord? If you don't why not?

Edit: i see some people wnat a place to be.
You can join my server if you want.
Takamura-samaFeb 24, 2019 3:25 PM
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 24, 2019 8:56 AM

Mar 2016
Hardly anymore. I was active in 2017, but after that I pretty much became inactive.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Feb 24, 2019 9:02 AM

Jun 2015
YaoiMaster said:
Hardly anymore. I was active in 2017, but after that I pretty much became inactive.

Why did you quit? I want to know why :(
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Feb 24, 2019 9:04 AM

Mar 2016
Takamura-sama said:
YaoiMaster said:

I just have better things to do, and everyone I like became inactive, so there is no reason for me to be active on there anymore. I'm not willing to join servers these days.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Feb 24, 2019 9:06 AM

Jun 2015
YaoiMaster said:
Takamura-sama said:

I just have better things to do, and everyone I like became inactive, so there is no reason for me to be active on there anymore. I'm not willing to join servers these days.

Oh, I get it. The same is happening in my server. People just leave and the amount of people active decreases and decreases. That's why I made this thread to ask why people left.
Thank you for your input ;D
Feb 24, 2019 9:08 AM

Jun 2014
Yes, I use Discord. I have a small cluster of friends on Discord, and even my mom has a discord account.

Out of the friends I have on Discord, there was one close friend that I had, but he talked to me for 5 or 6 hours a day, 7 days a week, and I had very little time to myself.

Yesterday, I worked up the courage to tell my friend that I needed a little bit of space, and that we should only talk a couple of times a week instead. I explained it to him as kindly as I could, and he responded that he understood, but a few hours later, he removed me as a friend on Discord, and he removed me here on MAL too. :(

I didn't want our friendship to end, but apparently he didn't understand that I needed some space.

Feb 24, 2019 9:13 AM

Jun 2015
Seiya said:
Yes, I use Discord. I have a small cluster of friends on Discord, and even my mom has a discord account.

Out of the friends I have on Discord, there was one close friend that I had, but he talked to me for 5 or 6 hours a day, 7 days a week, and I had very little time to myself.

Yesterday, I worked up the courage to tell my friend that I needed a little bit of space, and that we should only talk a couple of times a week instead. I explained it to him as kindly as I could, and he responded that he understood, but a few hours later, he removed me as a friend on Discord, and he removed me here on MAL too. :(

I didn't want our friendship to end, but apparently he didn't understand that I needed some space.

Oh that sucks. I feel you bro!! We could become friends if you want to ;)
Feb 24, 2019 9:14 AM

Feb 2019
Yes & I use it everyday. Right now I'm taking a break from it for several weeks. Level 56 btw : P
Feb 24, 2019 9:16 AM

Aug 2018
I don't use the MAL Discord often enough, but it has helped me find some great communities with like-minded people.

I've also met both equally interesting and amazing people on there, so it's really nice.
╔════════════════ • • ════════════════╗
Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind
I want to get off, but I keep riding the ride
I never really noticed that I had to decide
To play someone's game, or live my own life
- Get Free, Lana Del Rey

╚════════════════ • • ════════════════╝
Feb 24, 2019 9:22 AM
Feb 2017
Yes I use Discord. It's one of the, if not, the best way to communicate.
Feb 24, 2019 9:26 AM

Jun 2015
yuh, its where my only friends are  
Feb 24, 2019 9:32 AM

Jun 2014
Takamura-sama said:
Seiya said:

Oh that sucks. I feel you bro!! We could become friends if you want to ;)

I appreciate the offer, but I think we're very different from each other. We probably wouldn't have much in common to talk about, lol.

Feb 24, 2019 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah i use discord its where i spend most of my time
Feb 24, 2019 10:55 AM
Jul 2018
No, I don't find Discord and its features very interesting or convenient(for me personally).
Feb 24, 2019 11:06 AM

Jan 2009
I don't actively use Discord anymore. Only look through the servers like once in a blue moon. Don't like their 2000 character limit. I think Skype has more, plus you can edit your messages.

Was also testing Keybase, but the GUI seems a bit bugged in the IOS version, plus, there are hardly people to write to. On the other hand, it seems to be quite interesting that you can have 250GB of storage for free:

https://keybase.io/docs/kbfs

Seiya said:
And that's why he removed you? Normally, it would be the other way around: the one wishing for same space would do the removing. Anyway, I feel you as well
Feb 24, 2019 11:17 AM

Jun 2014
Noboru said:
I don't actively use Discord anymore. Only look through the servers like once in a blue moon. Don't like their 2000 character limit. I think Skype has more, plus you can edit your messages.

Was also testing Keybase, but the GUI seems a bit bugged in the IOS version, plus, there are hardly people to write to. On the other hand, it seems to be quite interesting that you can have 250GB of storage for free:

https://keybase.io/docs/kbfs

Seiya said:
And that's why he removed you? Normally, it would be the other way around: the one wishing for same space would do the removing. Anyway, I feel you as well

Thanks. I don't understand why he's so upset. I thought he would understand that I needed a bit of space.

Feb 24, 2019 12:14 PM

Aug 2014
I only use Discord to chat with friends. Don't care about servers.
Feb 24, 2019 12:24 PM

Dec 2018
I use discord a lot. Mainly whilst me and my friends play games together.
HennataiiiFeb 24, 2019 12:31 PM
Feb 24, 2019 12:46 PM

Jul 2017
yes
i use discord to talk to my anime friends and gaming buddies
i do have some irl friends who are on discord too
right now i'm less active there and i quitted nearly all of the servers i've joined because i need to take some time off and focus on other things
i also have my own discord server and i need to be more responsibile to it
Feb 24, 2019 1:49 PM

Apr 2017
I do use Discord and have had some fun conversations on there. It's good fun whenever I feel like socializing more.
Feb 24, 2019 1:51 PM

May 2016
mainly used discord with my friends, but now only occasionally. If we play any multiplayer games we'll get back on discord. Not really for anything else.

Feb 24, 2019 2:14 PM

May 2016
I only use discord for video game servers. I only have 2 friends on discord so I don't mainly use it for friends. I use MAL for anime though.

I would only get insulted on discord for watching anime.
Feb 24, 2019 2:17 PM

Mar 2017
I have it, I use it, but I don't really like it much. It's just not comfortable for me I guess, but I think it's really good in theory lol (like if I were more extroverted I could have lots of fun discussions in various servers). Also I'm not too active because I am very busy :P
Feb 24, 2019 2:34 PM
Jul 2018
Discord is malware, and therefore I don't use it. Which sucks, because 99.99% of online communities are on Discord nowadays.
Feb 24, 2019 2:53 PM

Jul 2016
i do use it, but i'm not as active as i was about two years ago. i'm barely active at all in servers and i prefer
to stick to pms now. i just feel like servers tend to garner you unwanted attention after a while or worse, drama.

grouper - no other

0:00 ●━━━━━━─────── 3:46

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ◁ㅤㅤ❚❚ㅤㅤ▷ㅤㅤㅤㅤ↻

⁞⁞⁞ purple cause baal is my wife  ⁞⁞⁞
Feb 24, 2019 3:06 PM

Jun 2014
Aldnox said:
Discord is malware, and therefore I don't use it. Which sucks, because 99.99% of online communities are on Discord nowadays.

You mind explaining why you think that Discord is "malware?"

Feb 24, 2019 4:05 PM

Feb 2015
Feb 24, 2019 4:15 PM
Jul 2018
Seiya said:
Aldnox said:

Rather than repeat what's been said I'll link this:
https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html
removed-userFeb 24, 2019 4:18 PM
Feb 24, 2019 4:16 PM

Feb 2017
I have a Discord but I don't really use it often as I would like. I do have some IRL friends but it seems I'm the only one with too much free time. There are communities I subscribed and chatted a couple of times in servers like r/anime, but made no "friends." I guess for me its not really for making friends, but just chatting random stuff with strangers.
Feb 24, 2019 4:28 PM

Jun 2014
Aldnox said:
Seiya said:

Lol, and what makes you think that any other site, like Facebook for example, is any different?

That article was liked by Richard Stallman, and everybody in the computing world knows that that man is insane.

Feb 24, 2019 4:33 PM
Jul 2018
Seiya said:
Aldnox said:

Lol, and what makes you think that any other site, like Facebook for example, is any different?

That article was liked by Richard Stallman, and everybody in the computing world knows that that man is insane.
Facebook is not any different, and I never claimed so. I don't use Facebook either.

That's a fallacy. Someone liking or disliking something doesn't make it true or false. Why don't you adress the article itself instead of who likes it? Funnily, Stallman himself disagrees with some of the points of the article. That must make it true, right?
Feb 24, 2019 4:38 PM

Jun 2014
Aldnox said:
Seiya said:

Facebook is not any different, and I never claimed so. I don't use Facebook either.

That's a fallacy. Someone liking or disliking something doesn't make it true or false. Why don't you adress the article itself instead of who likes it? Funnily, Stallman himself disagrees with some of the points of the article. That must make it true, right?

Listen, I like privacy like everyone else, but I don't walk around with a tinfoil hat, being paranoid about everyone watching what I'm doing.

This conversation is over.

Feb 24, 2019 4:40 PM
Jul 2018
Seiya said:
Aldnox said:

Listen, I like privacy like everyone else, but I don't walk around with a tinfoil hat, being paranoid about everyone watching what I'm doing.

What's with the tinfoil hat? Discord's privacy policy admits that it aggregates and sells your data. There's nothing tinfoil about that, you can go read it. Or you can try to disprove the article instead of continuously dismissing it, that doesn't make you look good.
Feb 24, 2019 4:42 PM

Jun 2014
Aldnox said:
Seiya said:

What's with the tinfoil hat? Discord's privacy policy admits that it aggregates and sells your data. There's nothing tinfoil about that, you can go read it. Or you can try to disprove the article instead of continuously dismissing it, that doesn't make you look good.

Listen, I don't really care who "sees" what I'm saying/doing. I used to, but I gave up, because privacy online is sadly a thing of the past.

Just relax, and enjoy the internet like the rest of us.

Feb 24, 2019 4:44 PM
Jul 2018
Seiya said:
Aldnox said:

Listen, I don't really care who "sees" what I'm saying/doing. I used to, but I gave up, because privacy online is sadly a thing of the past.

OK, that's a more acceptable answer. I don't agree with it though, uMatrix and Ungoogled Chromium alone give you nearly full protection. The rest is avoiding services like Discord which is easy to do.

I am enjoying the Internet though, and I'm pretty relaxed. The Internet is great.
Feb 25, 2019 3:06 AM

Jun 2015
Aldnox said:
Seiya said:

OK, that's a more acceptable answer. I don't agree with it though, uMatrix and Ungoogled Chromium alone give you nearly full protection. The rest is avoiding services like Discord which is easy to do.

I am enjoying the Internet though, and I'm pretty relaxed. The Internet is great.

Bruh who cares about privacy.
If the government really cared about what I search on internet they would think I'm a huge anime fan..
Feb 25, 2019 3:09 AM

Oct 2018
i generally use it for gaming and talking with friends, chill stuff you know? but when it comes to anime i just casually browse forums and talk there instead

Casual Anime Shitposter
Feb 25, 2019 4:55 AM
May 2016
i talk to a few people on it. not in any servers though, never liked them
Feb 25, 2019 6:15 AM

Dec 2015
Fairly active on a few servers. I'd honestly rather be contacted and hold regular conversation with people I know there, instead of this site.

xx0:44 ─🔘────────────── 04:44x
xxxxxxxxx ❚❚ xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Feb 25, 2019 8:14 AM

Jan 2018
I always use discord to interact people, sometime i usually get into trouble a lot more and i always get ban from the group.
Feb 25, 2019 8:21 AM

Oct 2018
You know if you want people in your server so badly they've literally got websites dedicated to advertising your little server? I mean, jfc MAL is not one of them.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, yes I use discord. Not as much as I used to because i've lost interest in spending 8 hours a day on servers to maintain some fabricated reputation. Anymore, i just use it to talk to the few friends i have.

i'm a worm
Feb 25, 2019 8:35 AM

Dec 2018
I do on occasion. However, I currently don't use Discord as actively as I did months ago.
Feb 25, 2019 10:13 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Barely
Most serves I'm on are dead, and the ones which are still active I'm mostly on for bot-use.
Feb 25, 2019 11:08 AM

Feb 2012
Imo the censorship, crappy store and constant updates have killed it. It had a good run, but I can't see it lasting for too long.
Feb 25, 2019 11:19 AM
Aug 2016
Yeah, I use Discord, but rarely. I'm mostly watching dramas and talking to people here though.
Feb 25, 2019 11:55 AM
Jul 2018
Takamura-sama said:
Aldnox said:

Bruh who cares about privacy.
If the government really cared about what I search on internet they would think I'm a huge anime fan..
I care.I see MAL still has this bullshit 30 character limit.
Feb 25, 2019 3:17 PM
Jul 2018
I don't use it because I find it useless, the number of interactions I had with other people were so low compared to whatsapp that I just didn't even bother remembering it's existence.

About privacy online, I do care about it, not because I fear the state using it against me (as long as it remains democratic that is...) but because I've seen some companies (yes Google, I'm looking at you) fucked ups that shared my data in other people's Android devices. Luckly, it was not something big but it made me doubt about possible fucked ups that I was not even aware off or ones that were yet to come. Since then I started caring more about onlive privacy.
Feb 25, 2019 5:14 PM
🥚

Feb 2016
I use discord. Not as much as i used too, I mainly just use it for a couple servers i like to follow up with or if anyone wants to message me somewhere other than here or another site.

"If you want to change the future, you only need to choose now. Now, believe in yourself and break the egg."

🌻

Anime|Manga|Last.fm|Letterboxd
Feb 25, 2019 7:35 PM

May 2016
yeah, even tho i suck at replying and tend to ignore people on there and only talk to a few people more often than others

。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆。

from the days that i've
lived those i had spent
with you, seemed real

月光
Feb 25, 2019 7:42 PM

Oct 2014
Yes, I use it daily. Mostly for friends/games, though. Never used for MAL/and or anime.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 7 hours ago

11 by vasipi4946 »»
30 minutes ago

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 5 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
35 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 3 hours ago

0 by _Nette_ »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 11 hours ago

18 by deg »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » In the future there will be battles for love between species from other planets(theory)

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

10 by Dracowyn »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.