Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 24, 2019 12:49 AM

Dec 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
LELOUCH IS BACK!
Man it was AMAZING seeing lelouch be Zero again. Although we all knew Lelouch will come back to his normal self, I got super excited when I heard his voice trying to help CC like a goosebump feeling.
Most of the nightmare battles being NON cgi unlike agito the exiled was very enjoyable although I wish it showed more to some of the battles like Suzaku vs Chario since I feel like Chario could’ve been one of the few people in the CG timeline who could challenge Suzaku at this point. Even Kallen’s fight was very lackluster but I can’t complain since the movie is about Lelouch. Seeing Lelouch’s plan fail multiple times felt very refreshing and him overcoming the challenge because of CC’s encouragement really showed their relationship well.

Overall without going too in depth I really enjoyed this movie(9/10). Although I genuinely feel this movie could’ve been better told in a series format called R3 but I loved this movie so much from the soundtrack, returning characters, and everything Code geass. Truly felt like this movie wanted to fulfill what fans ever wanted from the code geass franchise and enabling all the fan theories of Lelouch. Oh, and lack of more Shirley screen time felt weird since she was brought back alive in the recap movie timeline but her purpose in this movie was just a delivery girl of Lelouch with only like 1~2minutes of screen time lol

So some important key aspects of this movie off top of my head are:
-Lelouch has both the code and geass, hence the name code geass.
-Suzaku will still be Zero
-Lelouch will become LL and will travel with CC
-Zero requiem was for the most part a success as most of the world is in peace
-There are definitely some remnants of geass users alive.
-Nunally has finally had a proper goodbye with Lelouch as with most characters.
-We still don’t know CC’s real name.
HyuseFeb 24, 2019 12:53 AM

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Mar 17, 2019 2:28 AM
Oct 2017
what a disgrace of a movie and to the series as well. so disappointed 0/10
what actually is a signature?
Mar 18, 2019 7:46 AM

Mar 2012
3/5, it was okay

Like my god... it was just okay. 11 god damn fucking years and all they come back with is a movie that’s just... fine. Ugh.

Anyway I think the movie did great with the robot fights and Lelouch’s weird 4D chess thingy that he’s famous for. But the story was just kinda average and the political themes were not that coherent if they were even there. Like he came back, he did his thing, movie over. It only does exactly what it needed to do and doesn’t really go anywhere with the interesting ideas.

The crowd seemed to like it but I just found it to be a very average movie that maybe only got about half of the charm of the series.
Mar 18, 2019 10:53 AM

Jan 2008
SeibaaHomu said:
3/5, it was okay

Like my god... it was just okay. 11 god damn fucking years and all they come back with is a movie that’s just... fine. Ugh.

This is part of why I've called this an anniversary project. The main purpose of the movie was to bring back familiar faces and celebrate their reunion.

Without more time, they can't address everything with the same amount of attention to detail. I still found various interesting and entertaining aspects according to my own analysis and review of the film, don't get me wrong, but I understand where you are coming from.

That said, I think the movie ultimately does open a future path to more ambitious and larger scale works in the Code Geass universe. The ending leaves the cast in a different situation, rather than turning back the clock. It's also serving as a transitional project, in that sense, so I am sure we will see more productions than simply this one new film.
Apr 20, 2019 10:25 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
GolbeztheGreat said:

That said, I think the movie ultimately does open a future path to more ambitious and larger scale works in the Code Geass universe. The ending leaves the cast in a different situation, rather than turning back the clock. It's also serving as a transitional project, in that sense, so I am sure we will see more productions than simply this one new film.

The producer and director both confirmed today at Sakura-con this is not the end of Code Geass. In fact, the meteor fragments shown in the end of the movie are all "Geass Fragments" and CC/LL are still on a quest to solve that issue.

They've intended this to revive the franchise literally.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 1, 2019 12:07 PM
Dec 2008
I have a question for the people who have already seen the movie. I've seen some aerial battles in the trailers, but I want to now if there is some ground combat too and how it turned out.
May 5, 2019 12:39 PM

Dec 2014
Just saw it at my local theatre. All I can say is that, this is literally all my fantasies in one movie and I love it for that. XD

So much to say, I don't know where to start but the simple thing is, damn is it great to see Code Geass again.

I loved the opening scenes where they show C.C. taking care of a mentally degraded Lelouch, seeing her try so hard to keep him safe, calm him from all his outbursts was just so touching. <3

The resurrection scene was so very obvious, I kinda wish they did something to subvert expectations but I will say that geass use right after was so glorious. XD

I kinda wish they had a scene where Lelouch gets shot or something so they can show he's immortal.

The Suzaku and Lelouch scene atop the tower was great.
I don't recall if he ever says it in the series but we had a "Lelouch Lamperouge commands you" rather than "Lelouch vi Brittania commands you".
I also think that it's interesting that after being revived, Lelouch seems quite insistent that he will not interfere with World politics anymore, he takes up the helm of Zero one last to save Nunally but it looks we may never see him as Zero again.

I think Shanma was a great opponent for Lelouch with a very unique power to fight against, I do wish they showed us a little more of how he narrowed down her geass and eventually confronted her at the temple. They kinda just skipped to that after a while, but damn I was smiling when Lelouch gambled by saying she had the same geass as him. xD
The best scene of the whole conflict was most definitely the one where C.C. motivates Lelouch with the gun to his head, when she says she didn't struggle the past two years just to bring him back and see him give up. I love it when Lelouch comments on C.C. being a self centered woman. xD

The single scene that made this entire movie for me was the very last one where Lelouch tells C.C. that he'll come with her and take on the name L.L. C.C.'s response to that is just so very beautiful, wonderfully captured and stunningly portrayed, you see her for the very first time in the entire series show so many emotions in such a short span of time. She tears up, starts smiling and blushing all at once. It was just so very beautiful, I was just smiling like an idiot at the theater mesmerized with the scene. It's almost a strange yet beautiful way for him to kinda propose that they live together from now. It makes it so much more worth it when you realize that he decided to give up living with Nunally the one person who meant everything to him, the reason Zero Requiem existed, even after she herself said they should live together as family again just to live through the times with C.C.
It's funny, It's been almost a decade since I watched Code Geass, yet after all these years Lelouch x C.C. is my single biggest O.T.P among every anime I've ever seen and to see it actually happen after all these years is kind of an incredible feeling. Not to mention, C.C. is like my first ever anime crush. She deserves all the happiness she can get. <3
The final shot of the movie with them holding hands was beautiful and very cute too. Poor Lelouch, now has to carry all the baggage, C.C.'s probably gonna work him hard. XD

The ED song with the end cards were beautiful and I loved the post credit scene with Lelouch and C.C. standing together as Lelouch repeats the terms of the contract C.C. once told him to grant him Geass but with a little extra spin on it. It kind of looks like they are granting Geass to someone but there doesn't seem to be anyone there and it looks more of just Lelouch making a bombastic statement about how they will either take geass away from people who don't deserve it and perhaps grant it to people who deserve them.

REVIVE!! REVIVE! REVIVE!! I cannot get that ED song out of my head now. XD

I'm probably going to keep adding more things, since I have a lot to say.

I think this is a great way for them to continue Code Geass, people are generally divided on whether continuing a series with such a perfect ending is good or not but I think they chose the right way to do this. Having the movies follow the movie canon is better and lets people who would rather not see the series continue just live with the main anime series ending.

With this whole Geass Fragment thing, they're opening up a lot of potential story options. I feel they could do a lot of cool stuff and continue the story in very unique ways. I would love to see a Code Geass series set far into the future where all of the main cast we know now is old, it would be amazing to see L.L. and C.C. visit everyone on their deathbeds. There are lot of unique things they can do here with the setup from this movie. They explained that Fukkatsu is just 'Phase 1' of Code Geass's revival so we'll see.

For people looking for explanations regarding the resurrection. Large parts of the Code theory are correct. Lelouch gained Charle's code but it wasn't activated immediately. After Zero Requiem C.C. resurrects Lelouch in C's world but due to how Lelouch denied the collective conscious his mind does not return to him and unlike before C.C. is unable to directly enter C's world so they have to search for gates so they can find Lelouch's mind. From the looks of it, C.C.'s has been to a fair share of them along the way but hadn't found Lelouch's mind until the one in this movie. Once they do, the whole thing with C.C. unlocking Lelouch's mind which shown in a rather vague way and a little unclear, Lelouch is revived with the geass mark just mark below his neck. He still however has his Geass and hence the whole Code theory thing about 'Code Geass' is rather correct.
Shanma also seems to be in a similar case as Lelouch, having both the mark and the Geass and C.C. talks to her at the end and they seem to know each other from 300 years ago. However what seems to be interesting to me is that Shanma was affected by Geass. Does that mean Lelouch despite having the code can still be affected by Geass. I might be misunderstanding something but maybe they'll clear something up in future works. Another thing of interest was the fact that Shanma mentioned that her Geass evolved.

I hope they do like a special or something just showing C.C. and L.L. travelling the world together. Come on guys, you've already fulfilled one of my fantasies, now it's time to do the rest. XD

Finally, whoever designed C.C.'s new pilot outfit and pretty much all her other outfits, thank you.

10/10, I can't wait for them to put out more.
Lelouch0202May 5, 2019 9:27 PM
May 5, 2019 12:58 PM

Aug 2008
REVIVE!!!! REVIIIVE REVIIIIVE!!!!

I cannot get the ED song out of my head, I think it is so great.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq-yrJC6Pe8)

Just got back from seeing it and I'm more than pleased with it. It was just a blast getting to see these characters in action again after so many years. I have more thoughts but I also want to go eat lasagna so I'll leave it at that.
May 5, 2019 2:20 PM
Jul 2015
In short, this movie is GARBAGE. (4/10)

*******SPOILER ALERT******

None of the plot threads established in the previous movies ever get resolved. e.g C.C's name and wish never get mentioned. Seems like the staffs completely forgot Shirley because she did NOTHING IN THE MOVIE!!!!! She literally appeared for 10 seconds as the movie finished (by the way she did appeared in the final credit scene, which is useless).
In terms of the plot, it's STUPID AND SERVES NO PURPOSE. The villian is stupid and to my surpirse there is some actual conflict in terms of how the world that Lelouch created will lead to some new conflict, and the movie did NOTHING WITH IT!
The entire movie just felt so rushed. All of the dialogues are just cringy AF. Literally all of the characters get their screen time and talk to Lelouche without diving deep.
The directing is also terrible. Random cut scenes and poorly handled character drama just really takes you out of the place.

BTW I am 12 lol.

May 5, 2019 2:51 PM
Aug 2018
Lelouch0202 said:

Large parts of the Code theory are correct. Lelouch gained Charle's code but it wasn't activated immediately.

That is a highly inaccurate way of describing it.
Codes do not require activation, not through death or any other way. That was said by the show staff.
Lelouch did NOT get Charles' code either. It was something else that rubbed off on him, a new power which they call the incomplete code. This new power is shown to have very different properties than the real code.
Code theory was entirely wrong. In R2 Lelouch did not get the code, not get immortality, wasn't alive and wasn't the cart driver.
And in the movies, Lelouch was not alive or immortal after the Zero requiem, and he never got the code either but another power. (there was no cart driver scene in Oudou so that point is moot).
Lelouch was dead after the Zero Requiem, confirmed when Shirley is thanked for bringing Lelouch's BODY to C.C. You don't speak like that about living people, not even if they have the mind of an infant

Lelouch0202 said:

He still however has his Geass and hence the whole Code theory thing about 'Code Geass' is rather correct.

As said he didn't get the code but another power.
this new power didn't erase his geass.
if this new power ever evolves into the real code, in a sequel or so, then he will lose his geass as normal.

Lelouch0202 said:

Shanma also seems to be in a similar case as Lelouch, having both the mark and the Geass

That is correct and that proves that those marks are not marks of the real code.
People with the code are IMMUNE to geass, and we are clearly shown that this new power doesn't provide that immunity.
Therefore, this new power is not the same as the code.

Lelouch0202 said:

However what seems to be interesting to me is that Shanma was affected by Geass. Does that mean Lelouch despite having the code can still be affected by Geass.

Exactly!
And that proves that this new power, mark included, is not the code.
C.C. is still immune to geass!

May 5, 2019 2:59 PM

Mar 2010
Finished watching the film. It was pretty much exactly what I wanted from it. 10/10
There was just a lot of things I wanted to see Lelouch do and people I wanted to see him interact with after Zero's Requiem, and this gave me all of that.
May 5, 2019 3:42 PM

Jan 2008
Ignoring some particular topics that have been discussed to death, both over the years and not that long ago in this forum, but nodding at a few things related to them...I do want to comment on a couple of other subjects.

mrjames1026 said:

None of the plot threads established in the previous movies ever get resolved. e.g C.C's name and wish never get mentioned.

I would say this is intentional. The name is not a plot thread per se. It's Lelouch learning about something personal from C.C. that other people, like Mao or the audience, never did. So keeping it a secret is not a mistake. Rather, it's a choice.

Seems like the staffs completely forgot Shirley because she did NOTHING IN THE MOVIE!!!!! She literally appeared for 10 seconds as the movie finished (by the way she did appeared in the final credit scene, which is useless).

As they have said, she is basically a symbol of peace now. I didn't expect her to do much at all, since the recap movies reduced her subplot to nothing due to time limits. For me, it's enough to see them giving her a chance to have a normal life, away from the mess that is the conflict.

In terms of the plot, it's STUPID AND SERVES NO PURPOSE. The villian is stupid and to my surpirse there is some actual conflict in terms of how the world that Lelouch created will lead to some new conflict, and the movie did NOTHING WITH IT!

I'd question that conclusion. In particular, I would say they did leave open the door for more conflicts in future projects derived from this movie. After all, they said there was a year of peace, not that all conflict has ended forever.

The entire movie just felt so rushed. All of the dialogues are just cringy AF. Literally all of the characters get their screen time and talk to Lelouche without diving deep.

I do agree the movie itself isn't particularly deep, but I actually liked a lot of the dialogue and various character interactions. That's a matter of personal taste, I guess.

The directing is also terrible. Random cut scenes and poorly handled character drama just really takes you out of the place.

On the contrary, I felt this was pretty well handled. Some of the editing could be criticized, or at least it might feel confusing at points like in the TV show itself, but the direction itself was solid.

BTW I am 12 lol.

Well, that is unexpected.
May 5, 2019 3:59 PM
Jul 2015
Hahahah dude take it easy I’m just joking lol. But I don’t like the movie that much I do like some of the character interactions mostly between CC and Lelouche but his interaction with Susaku’s felt so weird and out of place.
May 5, 2019 4:28 PM

May 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie but there were a couple of things that bothered me.
1: Counting me, there was only 11 people in the theatre and I'm in a metro area of like 400,000 people. This is concerning because this just increases the risk of showing anime in American theatres, unless other parts of the country had higher attendance. I'm also not sure if how the movie industry works and if theatres even make money from the movies.
2: In the movie itself, it baffled me how much technology progressed. I don't think there was a large gap in time between this and R2 but the technology improved from late 2000s to late 2010s in a gap that was less than 10 years. Even if this is an alternate history and the timeline does not align with ours, I still don't think it's plausible.
May 5, 2019 4:36 PM

Jan 2008
mrjames1026 said:
Hahahah dude take it easy I’m just joking lol. But I don’t like the movie that much I do like some of the character interactions mostly between CC and Lelouche but his interaction with Susaku’s felt so weird and out of place.

No harm done. I do think it's worth pointing out those details and other opinions, but you are free to dislike or criticize the movie. That's fine by me.

Stealth46 said:
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie but there were a couple of things that bothered me.
2: In the movie itself, it baffled me how much technology progressed. I don't think there was a large gap in time between this and R2 but the technology improved from late 2000s to late 2010s in a gap that was less than 10 years. Even if this is an alternate history and the timeline does not align with ours, I still don't think it's plausible.

Perhaps not, but for me the technology leap was not that large. Those frame coats were the only real innovation, as far as I can recall, that wasn't something made in the new country by people we hadn't heard about before, so they are free to have different ideas about how to develop KMF and other weapons.
May 5, 2019 4:39 PM
May 2019
LelouchviBritMER said:
Lelouch did NOT get Charles' code either.

Yes he did. Pay attention.

Just watched the movie. He is alive, and it is explained why at the beginning of the movie.

Lelouch was resurrected by the code he got when he killed Charles. Pretty simple explanation that any intelligent person who paid attention during the original series already knew. In the movie, they state this explicitly and explain it outright for those who were too dense to catch this subtle fact before.

I mean, when Lelouch was dying, he even showed his memories of Zero Requiem to Nunnally. Even if you somehow didn't understand anything else that happened in the show (like how Codes are transferred, or how Lelouch stated Zero Requiem would grant C.C.'s true wish which meant she would be able to love someone she'd never have to watch die, or how C.C. said afterwards that she was no longer alone and it was thanks to the power of geass, etc etc etc)... even then, despite your thorough denseness, you should still understand that Lelouch didn't normally have the power to show someone his memories.

The only time in the entire series where someone is able to show another person their memories, it's when Lelouch sees C.C.'s memories, which is only possible because of her code. Hence, as soon as Lelouch showed Nunnally his memories and she reacted specifically to their contents, an alarm should have went off in your brain saying "wait how did that happen?!" and then you would have realized that he must have had gained a code since that's the only power ever shown in the series remotely related to sharing memories with others.

Anyways, the movie was very well-written and fully covered all the many details that were missed by the less-attentive and less-intelligent viewers who somehow came to believe Lelouch was dead forever. These people existing was probably largely due to misinformed people constantly repeating "THE MOST AUTHORITATIVE PERSON RELATED TO CODE GEASS SAID LELOUCH IS REALLY DEAD AND GONE FOR GOOD", but nothing like that was ever stated, not even a little. These misinformed people were sadly duped, and went on repeating the lie vehemently while ignoring any facts or common sense that made it clear they were wrong.

Imagine trying to tell someone the sky is blue, and they just scream back that they know it isn't blue because the creator of the sky was quoted as saying it's purple and it always will be. When you tell them to look upwards to see for themselves, and show them pictures of the blue sky, and ask them who this creator of the sky is who can somehow override basic facts and common sense, they just keep screaming that the sky is purple and that's the way it should be and they won't listen to anything that contradicts that (without ever giving a sensible reply or addressing anything you stated).

That's what it was like trying to talk to someone who had somehow convinced themselves Lelouch wouldd permanently die.

Take the fact Lelouch showed Nunnally his memories, which was just one of the many facts that demonstrated Lelouch had a code and thus would resurrect. Regardless of what you felt should have happened, or what you would have liked to happen, it's clear just from that that Lelouch would come back to life. But when you pointed this fact out to one of these brain dead code-denialist zealots, they'd just scream back some unrelated drivel like "BUT SOMEONE ONCE TOLD ME THE CREATOR OF CODE GEASS SAYS LELOUCH DOESNT HAVE A CODE SO IT DOESNT MATTER IF THE FACTS IN THE SHOW PROVE HE HAS A CODE, I GOT MY OPINION FROM A QUOTE FROM AN UNCITED WIKI PAGE THAT WAS WRITTEN IN A LANGUAGE I DONT UNDERSTAND AT ALL SO NOW IM AN EXPERT".

Wow, good rebuttal. Very intelligent and well thought out. Heh.

I hope the deluded misinformed people who made up their own ending before and denied all the obvious facts are now able to feel the embarrassment and shame they should have been feeling all along. These people are detestable and this movie was exactly the slap in the face they deserved.

tl;dr: The movie confirmed what semi-intelligent viewers understood all along. If you want to base your opinion solely on what "the creators of Code Geass say", then you're in luck! They've now explicitly said in interviews and in canon that Lelouch took the code from Charles and resurrected.
May 5, 2019 5:00 PM

Apr 2013
Great movie 10/10. Got everything I wanted and more. People are expecting too much from a 2 hour movie. Hopefully this opens the door to more sequels. Anymore news on that?
Like robots? Then watch getter robot :D
May 5, 2019 5:24 PM

Jun 2012
Maaaan this was so good. Seeing the old characters again was pumping me up. When Lelouch finally had his mind restored it was so epic, I miss the Lelouch voice. Its weird that they retconned Shirleys death because I think it was one of the best scenes in the original series.

I didnt like the ending too much because I just wanted Lelouch to settle down with everyone but it looks like they are setting this up for a lot of sequels due to that after credits scene. Guess hes immortal too now that hes L.L, I was so afraid that they were gonna kill him off again.

dany565 said:
Great movie 10/10. Got everything I wanted and more. People are expecting too much from a 2 hour movie. Hopefully this opens the door to more sequels. Anymore news on that?

This MAL interview thing with the creators makes it seem like they want to do a lot more sequels but it depends on how well it does financially. So buy the Blu ray and go see the movie again if you can to support it.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1779623
May 5, 2019 5:30 PM
Aug 2018
Merky_Merks said:
LelouchviBritMER said:
Lelouch did NOT get Charles' code either.

Yes he did. Pay attention.

You need to rewatch the movie because everything you just said is utterly wrong.

Merky_Merks said:

Lelouch was resurrected by the code he got when he killed Charles.

The movie denies this.
They refer to him as "a body", not the way you'd talk about a living person.

Merky_Merks said:

Pretty simple explanation that any intelligent person who paid attention during the original series already knew.

Completely wrong.
The anime made it impossible.
The show staff explicitly and officially confirmed he was truly dead and even denied points from code theory

Merky_Merks said:

In the movie, they state this explicitly and explain it outright for those who were too dense to catch this subtle fact before.

Wrong again.
they did say Charles and his code was involved, but never that he got his code.
the power he got is something else entirely and the movie shows that very clearly by showing us that this new power doesn't make you immune to geass, like a code does.

Merky_Merks said:

I mean, when Lelouch was dying, he even showed his memories of Zero Requiem to Nunnally.

That misinterpretation of that scene has been debunked by fans ages ago.
Even the show staff have explicitly said that was wrong, they explained Nunnally realized on her own and no geasses or codes were involved.

In Mook Animedia (28 January 2009, p.89-90) there was an interview which explicitly denied that Nunnally was seeing visions or that those images had anything to do with codes or geasses.
"How did Nunnally managed to realize Lelouch true intention, when she touched his hand at the end?"
"The way Nunnally can tell that someone is lying, just like she was able to tell that Lohmeyer was lying to her, is that she can feel the hand of the person she is talking to is sweating or lightly trembling. It's nothing like Geass or some special ability like that."
"Yes. So, she simply came to conclusion [Lelouch was lying] by herself, because of this ability."
"She is Marianne's daughter and Lelouch's little sister. Two months have passed since that defeat of Schneizel and for this two months she's been wondering constantly about what had happened, like "why it happened?" and so on. So when she touched Lelouch's hand at the end she felt that he is calm, she put the two and two together and realized the truth. Of course, we know that in anime, it's hard to explain things like that, but yeah, please accept it like this kind of "romantic" idea we had."

Merky_Merks said:

how Lelouch stated Zero Requiem would grant C.C.'s true wish which meant she would be able to love someone she'd never have to watch die

Incorrect quote.
You don't even know what the Zero requiem was for C.C.
She herself says she draws comfort from the Zero requiem to deal with the sadness from Lelouch's death, whom she mourns
C.C. herself says explicitly he's dead and that she mourns his death!!

Merky_Merks said:

"THE MOST AUTHORITATIVE PERSON RELATED TO CODE GEASS SAID LELOUCH IS REALLY DEAD AND GONE FOR GOOD", but nothing like that was ever stated, not even a little.

You are a very big liar!!
All of those things have been officially stated by the show staff many many many many many times.

Some example of the many:

"Before I started writing the story of a person called Lelouch, I confirmed with Taniguchi-director something. That thing was that the end of Lelouch will be death."

"At least he is aware of his sins and pays for them with his death."

"This man called Lelouch will pay for his sins by his death. The story follows him till he finally make this decision."

"Probably this Lelouch we see in the first episode of the series wouldn't choose death. He would try something to avoid it. He couldn't die, for Nunnally as well. But we see him changed in the last episode."

"For those two who bear the heavy sin known as killing their fathers, they share the belief that they can forgive each other by imposing the greatest punishments on themselves. Death for Lelouch who wishes for a tomorrow with his sister, life for Suzaku who wishes to atone for his sins through death."

As anyone can see, Lelouch IS confirmed to be dead and Lelouch did chose death because he saw that as the only fitting punishment for his sins.

Merky_Merks said:

These misinformed people were sadly duped, and went on repeating the lie vehemently while ignoring any facts or common sense that made it clear they were wrong.

You're the one trying to dupe people with your lies.
the examples where Lelouch is officially confirmed dead are legio.
I'll add sources to everything at the bottom of this post so all can see.

Here is the Code Geass Community Information Database which has ALL the info. All the official statements and all the ways the anime itself contradicts the fantasy that Lelouch had a code. It has sources, links, and even pictures.
May 5, 2019 5:31 PM

Jan 2008
Shuhan said:
Maaaan this was so good. Seeing the old characters again was pumping me up. When Lelouch finally had his mind restored it was so epic, I miss the Lelouch voice. Its weird that they retconned Shirleys death because I think it was one of the best scenes in the original series.

She is alive in this movie universe following the recaps, but not in the TV universe that also exists.
May 5, 2019 5:35 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Just came back from watching the movie, and all I can say is that it was pretty disappointing. But that's not to say that I didn't find some sort of enjoyment from this movie. For every moment I liked from the movie, I always found something I disliked.

The first third was easily the most messiest chunk. It didn't take more than 5 mins for them to quickly establish a conflict and get Nunnally captured. Much originality right there. Clearly they were limited by the movie's runtime and couldn't spend anytime to establish how the world and characters are after Zero Requiem. A 2 min party just isn't enough and some more character interactions would've been nice. And then we instantly jump to C.C. and hollow shell of Lelouch. It was pretty entertaining watching Lelouch in this state for a bit. But only for a bit. Code Geass' greatest strength is its protagonist, so without him, there's only so much enjoyment the movie can create in its first act. Kallen and her squad encountering C.C. was a bit too convenient, but acceptable enough considering the movie doesn't have much time to get any more complex.

Explanations as to why Lelouch is alive felt so glossed over. A 30 sec explanation isn't enough C.C., and honestly, it's not better than the baseless Code Theory. So C.C. just kinda revived Lelouch, that's it? Like, is that the best explanation they can give? Oh no, but his mind is stuck in C's World because his revival can't be too easy now, can it? Well, it's confirmed he doesn't have his dad's code because he still has his geass. It's not explicitly said, but he does have an flawed/incomplete code then (same goes for Shamna too because they both have that marking on their body). Regardless, Lelouch's "resurrection" was pretty unsatisfying. And Lelouch gets his real self back from C's World pretty easily too. Everything just plays out too well in the first half and the movie doesn't do a good job in making it any digestible.

Oh, and Suzaku just had to beat up Lelouch after seeing him alive. It just felt so incredibly forced. And Suzaku's my favorite character from CG too (or I guess, he was). 5 mins later, "I'm glad that you're alive Lelouch, it was lonely without you 👌👌👌". Suzaku was a like a girl on a period or something, lol. And there just wasn't enough moments between him and Lelouch in the movie. Or anyone that's not C.C. in this movie. Kallen was just some seconds of crying and hugging, Nunnally was only 5 lines at the end, and Shirley was just some unvoiced phone call during the credits at all. I absolutely see no reason as to why she's even kept alive for this new canon. Her only presence in the movie was some 20 second scene of her shopping. Oh, and I guess her carrying Lelouch's body after she died (off-screen), but that role could've been given to anyone. Definitely a very pointless retcon.

Everything after this point feels like a step up, but not enough. It doesn't take too long to start up the climax because there's simply not enough time left in the movie. The antagonists themselves felt pretty bland, though Shamna's geass was pretty cool. The last third was pretty much All You Need Is Kill because of her geass. But because of how interesting her geass was, it's a shame that it wasn't shown off to a proper extent, and she lost so easily because Lelouch had dem mind games (which was essentially baiting tactics that even grade-schoolers can realize). Not only the antagonists, but Nunnally being stuck in C's World was easily resolved too (why even bother to add an extra conflict when you don't have the time nor writing to back it up). Gotta get saved by mommy and daddy last second so we don't hate them anymore, amirite?

There's stuff I liked though. Lelouch after awakening was pretty damn satisfying to see. The movie reminded me why I love Code Geass a lot. C.C. interactions with him are great and that end scene was really good. Well, that's one ship that's hella confirmed.

Visually, the movie wasn't anything too special. Too many zoom outs with off-model characters. Even the TV anime was more visually consistent than this. Not too many great cuts either. The best one was Lelouch getting dressed up as Zero (looked gorgeous btw). The CG mecha fights were underwhelming. CG should've given a chance to be more dynamic with the action, particularly with the camera. It's obvious that CG was used as an effort-saving method and not as a way to go more out with the action. We've seen Sunrise be more experimental with CG mecha action with some of their latest Gundam productions. Also, the OST was forgettable, but that ED is top-notch.

I just can't help but feel like this sequel was a 4-5 hour script crammed into 2 hours. It should've been a one-cour anime because everything felt too rushed. A continuation needed to be a moment to focus on the characters and show how they feel after Zero Requiem and what Lelouch's revival means to them. Instead we get some ham-fisted conflict that spends no time in establishing stakes nor risks.

Despite my complaints, I don't mind this alternate continuation. It still keeps the original canon as its own thing and I can consider this movie as a separate canon. And besides, I'm pretty sure sequel movies for this will be much better, because they don't have to waste time with bring back Lelouch, and some sort of conflict is already set up for the upcoming project (like finding all those Geass pieces and whatnot).

5/10, still don't mind this alternate continuation.
May 5, 2019 5:46 PM

Aug 2018
When will I be able to watch this at home?
May 5, 2019 6:09 PM

Jan 2008
There are no home release plans announced yet, but probably later in the year or 2020.

GoldenDevilGamer said:

The first third was easily the most messiest chunk

I can see it won't be for everyone. Still, I found the first part of the movie more interesting, personally, both because I liked the mood and cinematography as well as because they established, albeit indirectly, a fair amount of information even without having to spell it out.

Regarding Suzaku, I think him beating up Lelouch is valid but it doesn't mean he will exclusively hate him. Those two have always had a bittersweet relationship, not one full of friendship or lacking animosity, so combining two sides of the coin seemed fair. Lelouch wasn't behaving particularly well and Suzaku has a reason to be unsatisfied with the situation but at the end of the day he also appreciates Lelouch.

I agree that more could have been explained about the workings of Shanma's Geass. I wouldn't say those who saved Lelouch were his parents though, who would still hate him for various reasons, but more like the other dead people whose shadows could be identified earlier on (some have argued that Rolo and Euphy could have been there, but I would need to check those scenes in detail to confirm this).

I felt very differently about the music, although I guess that's what personal tastes are for. This composer has always worked well for me.

Like I've said before, I understand why people who wanted to see more reactions and emotional development taking place have a right to be annoyed or disappointed. I don't think their reactions were wrong in the movie, however, and besides...we will likely see some of them again. Somehow, perhaps even in another TV show. Who can say?
May 5, 2019 8:43 PM

Jun 2015
They should have made the reunions more dramatic and extended his time with Nunnally.
Other than that, it was just fine.
May 5, 2019 10:22 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
GolbeztheGreat said:
I can see it won't be for everyone. Still, I found the first part of the movie more interesting, personally, both because I liked the mood and cinematography as well as because they established, albeit indirectly, a fair amount of information even without having to spell it out.
I liked the OP sequence with the two travelling, but I feel like the rest of the first third felt sloppily put together. As I said before, it pretty much starts right off with a conflict (Nunnally being captured), without any proper leeway. Then we get a bit of Lelouch and C.C. and before we get any time to see much more of their dynamic with Lelouch in this state, we get Kallen and C.C. conveniently meeting up. The story would've worked better as multiple movies or as a TV series, as there's not enough time given to flesh things out.

GolbeztheGreat said:
Regarding Suzaku, I think him beating up Lelouch is valid but it doesn't mean he will exclusively hate him. Those two have always had a bittersweet relationship, not one full of friendship or lacking animosity, so combining two sides of the coin seemed fair. Lelouch wasn't behaving particularly well and Suzaku has a reason to be unsatisfied with the situation but at the end of the day he also appreciates Lelouch.
I don't mind Suzaku doing both, it's just that it felt too sudden. Both his aggressiveness and his care for Lelouch. And his anger just felt too forced, all for the sake of some half-a-minute beatdown.

GolbeztheGreat said:
I agree that more could have been explained about the workings of Shanma's Geass. I wouldn't say those who saved Lelouch were his parents though, who would still hate him for various reasons, but more like the other dead people whose shadows could be identified earlier on (some have argued that Rolo and Euphy could have been there, but I would need to check those scenes in detail to confirm this).
I'm almost certain it's their parents because Lelouch said something along the lines of "So we're going to be saved by you again", referencing how Charles sent Lelouch and Nunnally to Japan to protect them from V.V.

Plus there were two different colored hands on-screen. It just has to be them.
May 6, 2019 3:48 AM
Jul 2018
Oh man, what a movie.

ALL HAIL LELOUCH!
May 6, 2019 1:46 PM

Nov 2009
Surprised that Kanon is OK with Schneizel still under the control of Lelouch's geass.
]
May 6, 2019 2:25 PM

Jan 2010
Do you guys remember the R3 trailer teaser with the green geass? I wonder how things would turn out if they didn't scrap it.

As for the movie, It was great. I demand a OVA on Lelouch reunion to Ashford Council Members (Shirley and the others)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 6, 2019 3:24 PM

Jan 2008
Void0000 said:
Surprised that Kanon is OK with Schneizel still under the control of Lelouch's geass.

It seems the Geass only activates when he's thinking and talking about Zero (and, I guess, perhaps if they were in the same room together, like when Lelouch first used the command on Schneizel).
May 6, 2019 6:20 PM
Jun 2017
I thought the movie was incredible. The animation was amazing and sound design was really well done. I think the movie could have benefit from maybe a 30 minute addition of time. It seems like some important aspects were really left dry - Nunally's reunion with lelouch was really short and how Lelouch even resurrected was completely unclear and wasn't really shown. Suzaku's reunion with Lelouch was a little awkward to me as well. Suzaku just kinda started slugging out Lelouch for no reason but other than these things I genuinely had a great time.
May 6, 2019 9:33 PM

Apr 2008
Ugh. Awful awful movie. Complete fanservice cash grab garbage. But since fans seem to not give a shit guess we can expect this teat to get milked for the next ten years.

This reminded me of a DBZ filler movie. Lame plot with throw away villains. Only purpose is to give you the character interactions you want. Only this is worse as it ruins Lelouch as a character. I'll stick to the two seasons and be done. Only hope is they create new stories with new characters in this world. But I'm sure they'll be dumb about it.
GundamSoulMay 6, 2019 9:43 PM
May 7, 2019 5:44 AM
Jan 2019
Is this sub or dub able or did u all see it in japoneses?
May 7, 2019 5:47 AM
Jan 2019
And did lelouch die at the end of the film?
May 7, 2019 7:52 AM
Apr 2016
Raichu7826 said:
Is this sub or dub able or did u all see it in japoneses?

Screening in US are in sub and dub.

Raichu7826 said:
And did lelouch die at the end of the film?

'Member 3rd recap and letter from Jeremiah to CC? He died and
RazorBMWMay 7, 2019 7:57 AM
May 7, 2019 10:16 AM

Feb 2019
Still waiting for the announcement on when it will be aired here in my country T_T will definitely watch it asap QuQ
owkey
May 7, 2019 6:11 PM
Nov 2018
Watched the cam-rip, sorry but i cant wait another year for the bluray
Didnt watch the 3 recap movies though, so when i saw Shirley, it was like wtf, why they changed the original story?

I did not hate her or anything but rewrite an important part of the story just wrong...
Aside from that, i think it wasnt bad, yea it was a bit rushed and i would be more happier with a 24 episode r3 but still better than nothing :)
and got the kind of ending what i really want 11 years ago.
solid 8/10
xdmonMay 8, 2019 1:33 AM
May 7, 2019 6:27 PM
Nov 2018
toovs said:
xdmon said:
Watched the cam-rip, sorry but i cant wait another year for the bluray

what site is the cam rip on?

i dont know the forum rules, can i link torrent sites or not :)
will pm you
btw its terrible quality, its like they record it with a phone camera and u see the whole cinema with ppl sitting inside and talking
May 7, 2019 7:48 PM

Jul 2017
Why tf did they retcon Shirley back into the series jsut to have her do basically nothing?

Disappointed that I had to pay $8 for this. The soundtrack was mediocre, the plot was mediocre, the ending was mediocre... everything was mediocre.

It wasn't bad, but I can't help but compare my movie experiences between FSN and this movie in the theater. CG didn't even seem like it had a movie tier budget either.

Ultimately disappointed. 6/10 but considering that I had to pay for this... 5/10. I had no idea wtf was being said at the end credit scene too.

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
May 7, 2019 9:01 PM

May 2016
It was nice seeing everyone again. Kinda want a S3 now lol
May 7, 2019 11:26 PM
Dec 2008
lazypigz said:
The soundtrack was mediocre, the plot was mediocre, the ending was mediocre... everything was mediocre.

Just one thing...I felt the soundtrack was pretty good. Plot was average, although I liked the character interactions and in-jokes.

FSN is in a different place as a property because they already did Fate Zero, the UBW series and so on...ufotable has less projects than Sunrise and they have a huge gacha mobile game.

Code Geass might get a higher budget movie one day. I think they were just testing the waters.

Last scene was a reference to the first episode...and a stinger for new works.
May 8, 2019 12:24 AM

Jul 2017
Madonis said:
lazypigz said:
The soundtrack was mediocre, the plot was mediocre, the ending was mediocre... everything was mediocre.

Just one thing...I felt the soundtrack was pretty good. Plot was average, although I liked the character interactions and in-jokes.

FSN is in a different place as a property because they already did Fate Zero, the UBW series and so on...ufotable has less projects than Sunrise and they have a huge gacha mobile game.

Code Geass might get a higher budget movie one day. I think they were just testing the waters.

Last scene was a reference to the first episode...and a stinger for new works.
First of all, Ufotable does not own FGO that's hilarious. Second of all, if you've listened to what the soundtrack was like in FSN HF in all its glory in the theater, then you would know how to differentiate between a good soundtrack and a mediocre one.

Also does Ufotable really have less projects than Sunrise? All Sunrise is really doing right now, from off the top of my head, is Hathaway's Flash, Iron Blooded Orphans OVA... and yea that's pretty much it I guess save for some idol stuff I don't care about. Ufotable have Kimetsu no Yaiba and the last HF movie, one that they're probably dedicating all their time and effort into to make it an experience that will be worth the price I pay to watch it at the theater and more. Sunrise isn't doing much atm either, so I expected higher than average quality animation which I sadly did not get.

I consider peak Sunrise to be Gundam Unicorn OVA in terms of animation. Unicorn's soundtrack is god-tier too. This is nowhere near that. Which is bad because this is a movie, and I expect movie-quality among the likes of Ufotable's works.

Yes I get that maybe this movie was not meant for me, as I'm more of a Gundam fan than a CG fan. I get that this is for the people who wanted more, but for those of us that wanted to see what they could've built off of R2's amazing finale, this is very disappointing.

EDIT: Oh oops. I guess this was a sequel to recap films, not the main TV series. But whatever, it still wasn't that great they could've done so much more had it been a full 12-24 ep TV series.
lazypigzMay 8, 2019 12:29 AM

May 8, 2019 12:51 AM
Dec 2008
lazypigz said:

First of all, Ufotable does not own FGO that's hilarious. Second of all, if you've listened to what the soundtrack was like in FSN HF in all its glory in the theater, then you would know how to differentiate between a good soundtrack and a mediocre one.

Also does Ufotable really have less projects than Sunrise? All Sunrise is really doing right now, from off the top of my head, is Hathaway's Flash, Iron Blooded Orphans OVA... and yea that's pretty much it I guess save for some idol stuff I don't care about. Ufotable have Kimetsu no Yaiba and the last HF movie, one that they're probably dedicating all their time and effort into to make it an experience that will be worth the price I pay to watch it at the theater and more. Sunrise isn't doing much atm either, so I expected higher than average quality animation which I sadly did not get.

I consider peak Sunrise to be Gundam Unicorn OVA in terms of animation. Unicorn's soundtrack is god-tier too. This is nowhere near that. Which is bad because this is a movie, and I expect movie-quality among the likes of Ufotable's works.

Yes I get that maybe this movie was not meant for me, as I'm more of a Gundam fan than a CG fan. I get that this is for the people who wanted more, but for those of us that wanted to see what they could've built off of R2's amazing finale, this is very disappointing.

EDIT: Oh oops. I guess this was a sequel to recap films, not the main TV series. But whatever, it still wasn't that great they could've done so much more had it been a full 12-24 ep TV series.

I was talking about the overall state of the property, not saying it is under the same single company. There is still much shared synergy either way.

I meant that having a higher profile and a larger portfolio of successful as well as wildly popular products under the FSN brand makes it more reasonable to give each project higher budgets, no? We have seen this grow. FSN has been woken up for several years as a popular brand due to various projects and now it is truly huge. It wasn't this big back in the era of the original VN or the first anime adaptaiton. Geass is like barely trying to expand its reach and open its arms, with only two seasons, one OVA and one movie. There are manga, but those are like secondary tie-ins or spin-offs and not central works. Fate has an almost uncountable number of parts and pieces at this point in time.

I think the full list of Sunrise products is longer, if you include works that came out earlier this year or late 2018 plus what they haven't necessarily announced but will be premiering either this year or the next. Oh and I have to add one thing...Gundam Unicorn was a deluxe project for their flagship Universal Century property. Other Gundam shows don't look that good. Even the recent NT movie doesn't look as pretty as Unicorn did, so something is clearly happening over there. Hathaway's Flash will probably be a big project with a lot of staff and the best animators being mainly dedicated to it.

I'll only consider this movie to be a disappointment if I don't find that this base is used effectively in the next years. They are saying with this movie that more Code Geass is possible after all, so they have to prove that this movie wasn't just a one-off now. Gundam has had better and worse works over the years, but it's all helped to open the door to new and different attempts to try out ideas. If the end of Code Geass was only this film, then I would feel like you do. People have said it is disappointing that this wasn't a TV season, because stuff had to be simplified, but since the movie is doing well that could mean we may get a season at one point or another.

MadonisMay 8, 2019 12:55 AM
May 8, 2019 1:08 AM

Jul 2017
@Madonis
Sure, the pedigree of FSN might make it seem more reasonable for a higher budget, but that's the same with Sunrise and Unicorn.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Gundam has a higher profile. Maybe not in the last couple of years, but overall I think they are bigger, and is more globally known.

Who knows, maybe there is just something happening inside Sunrise. I still don't think they have too much on their plates though as they don't really make seasonals. Judging by their history we know they can make things that are truly amazing but they just missed their mark with this one. It's making me skeptical about whatever they have coming next in terms of Geass.

May 8, 2019 4:25 PM

Jan 2014
I can't explain how good it felt when I finally watched this movie. Countless teasers and trailers from Funimation made me way too impatient, so when it was finally shown in theaters I immediately bought a ticket lol. Now regarding the movie, it wasn't as good as the series, which I already expected. However, it has that one thing that the anime lack which is Lelouch and CC moments!

> CC taking care of Lelouch, in the beginning, was sweet yet heartbreaking. For a person with high intellect to suddenly regress into that is kind of sad.

> I love how everyone reacted when they find out that Lelouch is alive. Cornelia kind of annoy me for a moment but then again she has her reasons for being angry at Lelouch.

> CC pointing a gun at Lelouch was so good. You could feel the desperateness of CC when she was telling Lelouch of the hardship she went through in order to save him.

> CC leaving was my favorite scene in the movie. When she left without saying anything, I swear I heard people going 'nooo.. is this how it's gonna end?' but then Lelouch caught up and declared he will go by L.L from now on. For a moment everyone was quiet because no one really knew what happened. Then one person in the front row yelled 'did he just confess?' and then the credits rolled, showing Lelouch and CC holding hands. That's when everyone started clapping and shouted 'finally it happened'. It was a funny moment considering how hype everyone was after learning Lelouch confessed to CC. I still heard people talking about it outside the theater.

9/10
Recommend me an anime
May 8, 2019 6:50 PM

Dec 2013
Just got back from the theater. This was such an amazing experience. I'm glad i was able to see this in theaters rather than an blu-ray. The audiences reactions to the end bit with C.C was priceless, definitely worth it. The only reason I gave it an 8/10 is that I still don't understand why they saved Shirley in the previous films for her to do next to nothing in this one.
May 8, 2019 7:39 PM

Mar 2019
Honestly in terms of this movie, I'm just glad to see Lloyd back again. He's still just as charming and hilarious as ever. Great to see Liam O Brien back voicing him as well. Love my Earl of Pudding
May 10, 2019 1:40 AM
Mar 2018
Just one question. What happened to the Code theory?
May 10, 2019 3:06 AM
Feb 2019
TendoShurado343 said:

Nothing....? It was always just a fan theory anyway, nothing official. Though tbh it was so comprehensive I kinda expected them to just take that and run with it to justify this movie existing, but I guess they just decided to hand-wave the resurrection thing instead.
May 10, 2019 6:19 AM
Apr 2016
TendoShurado343 said:

Well, Sunrise remixed this fan-theory, so this theory is "yes-but-not-exactly" in the movie, he didn't survived ZR, and in the movie code works otherwise.
May 10, 2019 7:21 AM
Aug 2018
TendoShurado343 said:

It was never correct.
Both the original anime and the new movies didn't allow it because it violated the lore.
The show staff have repeatedly officially confirmed Lelouch is truly dead (read the Code Geass Community Information Database if you want to read it all), they even explicitly denied core points of code theory (for example Nunnally never saw any visions or memories).
So this movie, obviously, contradicts code theory too. They're not going to suddenly change their mind after 10 years of saying he's truly dead.
What the movie does do is include little easter eggs, like the cart driver dress up, but from the context you can see there's no connection with the R2 cart driver.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» why it's not considered as sequel to 2nd season of original series???

NaughtySempai - May 21, 2021

12 by Leonhart93 »»
Jan 3, 6:27 AM

Poll: » If you were Lelouch, what decision would you choose?

Sanjay63773 - Jan 19, 2023

10 by Leonhart93 »»
Jan 3, 6:26 AM

» Code Geass: Dakkan no Z

quercifolia - Sep 19, 2023

5 by quercifolia »»
Oct 1, 2023 7:45 AM

» Why did they did not continue original timeline? What's up this alternate timeline crap?!?

AnimeJunki3 - Apr 19, 2021

35 by WNightfall »»
Apr 15, 2023 1:44 AM

» I'm confused after watching this ??

WVM - Nov 27, 2022

6 by WVM »»
Dec 4, 2022 12:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.