Forum Settings
Forums
New
Is school a genre
Feb 21, 2019 2:52 AM

Nov 2017
For some reason MAL considered it as a genre and most people say "at least what they said to me" is. I wanted to hear your opinions on this subject.
Feb 21, 2019 2:57 AM

Oct 2018
I would probably say it isn’t. A school genre is just to vague, it could be a happy slice of life or or it could be a murder school for all I know. Although I can kind of see how people would see it as it’s own genre.

Feb 21, 2019 3:02 AM

Apr 2017
I would say no. Genre should describe the story in some way , but school is usually just place it takes place in, rather than the point of a story. There can be vastly differing stories all taking place in school, so it wouldn't be very descriptive. Maybe if school plays particular importance in the story, and it's not just on the background, or if the story is specifically centered about school things, but I think that there is already school life genre tag, which indeed is a genre in its own right, imo. But school itself is not.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Feb 21, 2019 3:03 AM
Jul 2018
Technically it's a setting but pretty much every school anime share a decent amount of similarities in terms of story so I can see why a lot of people consider it to be a genre.
Feb 21, 2019 3:11 AM

Feb 2013
mal genres are weird.. here is how i qualify them

i dont think this is too useful and still lots of room for disagreement but it was fun
Feb 21, 2019 3:12 AM
May 2016
i think it can be used as a genre and a setting. most of the time it is used improperly though, as in school setting does not make it an anime of the school genre. there's stuff like classroom of the elite, which i assume is very focused on the school aspect, in which case i would consider that an anime with school as the genre. that being said, i haven't even watched classroom of the elite, so probably want to take that comment with a grain of salt, but i'm sure you get the idea of what i'm trying to say. something like toradora on the other hand, i would not consider an anime with school as the genre, but rather school as the setting
so yea, depends on the anime
Feb 21, 2019 3:18 AM

May 2013
It's a setting. No idea why MAL thinks of it as a genre. Then again, MAL genres are convoluted to begin with, for example, it draws a distinction between supernatural and vampires but doesn't distinguish between sci-fi and cyberpunk.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Feb 21, 2019 9:27 AM

Dec 2015
Anything used to categorise is a genre, so it is both a setting and a genre. I don't understand why people are disturbed it at all though
Feb 21, 2019 9:30 AM

Dec 2017
Nah, school is just a setting. It would be too vague if there is a school genre.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Feb 21, 2019 9:39 AM

Oct 2018
It's a setting bc, the story takes in a school.
But for example thriller, you can't say it takes in a thriller. no.

SO YEA, IT'S A SETTING NOT A GENRE!!!
Feb 21, 2019 9:42 AM

Jan 2013
Of course it's a setting, and so is 'space' and 'historical'. MAL just doesn't distinguish between genre, demography and setting tags. If you want more acurate tagging system check AniList.
fuyukiFeb 21, 2019 9:47 AM
Feb 21, 2019 9:57 AM

Nov 2018
I am the subject of my study
Books are my Body and Texts are my Blood
I have studied over a Thousand Hours
Unknown to Failing grades
Nor known for missing Class
Have withstood Pain from my Studying
Yet those Words will never mean Anything
So, as I study
Unlimited School Works
Feb 21, 2019 9:57 AM

May 2018
Strictly speaking, it isn't. But perhaps it has practically became one within the past years.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Feb 21, 2019 9:59 AM

Apr 2018
I'd say kind of.
When I think of a "school anime" I think of an anime that features high schoolers and has certain tropes and clichè, that's more than just a setting.
I'd hardly consider a "school anime" a anime set in a school, but with a teacher or a principal as a protagonist for example. Same goes for an anime set in a western school (if they even exist) or an anime that is not about school life at all.
These are just a couple of examples of what I'd call "a anime with a school setting" rather than a "school anime"
Feb 21, 2019 10:01 AM

May 2010
UNKWONTONIC said:
For some reason MAL considered it as a genre and most people say "at least what they said to me" is. I wanted to hear your opinions on this subject.

Yeah that's a fair question I've never felt comfortable using "school" as a genre.

Okay great the setting is in a school -

But is it Romance? Drama? Comedy? Slice of Life? Fantasy?

etc.

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 21, 2019 10:15 AM

Mar 2018
Calling "school" a genre is stupid.

Aku no Hana, Another, Gakkougurashi and Hyouka, for example, are all "school" genre. It only tells you that they take place in a school setting.

If a "genre" only tells you about the setting then call it a setting.
Feb 21, 2019 10:18 AM

May 2011
MAL way to label genres is sometimes misleading, mostly with the more obscure productions. Which is why I think it is a necessity on reviews to tell how the title at hand fits cannons of a genre in a satisfactory way.

"School" by itself isn't a genre, it is describing a main setting. Even as a label, it'd be useless as it's not explicit enough, given how an overwhelming portion of anime/manga take place in school. What reveals you information you really need are the other mentions.

Would you label something as "science laboratory", if a good part of the action took place on the lab of a military complex?
sorceryFeb 21, 2019 10:23 AM
Feb 21, 2019 10:27 AM

Nov 2009
UNKWONTONIC said:

MAL lists all setting tags as genres. Fantasy, sci-fi, school, whatever.
Feb 21, 2019 10:32 AM

Aug 2018
It's a setting, not a genre. But I have to say, having that tag is actually pretty fucking useful and I agree on having it. Isekai would be useful too for example, I think.
Feb 21, 2019 10:33 AM

Jan 2016
Not really. Just look at the top three most popular shows in the "school" genre, Angel Beats, Code Geass, and Toradora. Heck, extend it to top six and add Boku no Hero Academia, Kimi no na Wa, and Kill la Kill. In order, that's a comedy drama, a mecha thriller, a romantic drama, a shonen superpower show, a mystical coming of age story, and an ecchi action show. There's very little similarities between those shows, and saying they all belong in the same category is kinda dumb. I don't watch Toradora for remotely the same reason I watch Code Geass, fans of Angel Beats won't necessarily like Kill la Kill, and there's not much overlap between why people enjoy Boku no Hero Academia and Kimi no na Wa.

Sure, just because it's in the same genre doesn't mean it needs to appeal to the exact same demographic as another work in the genre, but school is so vague and undescriptive that it doesn't really mean anything. It doesn't describe anything about the show other than it will likely involve high school students and is set in a modern-esque world. And to me, that does not a genre make.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Feb 21, 2019 11:06 AM

Jul 2017
its a setting just like space
but it can be defined as a subgenre of sol imo
you do get a lot of similarities among school anime
Feb 21, 2019 11:27 AM

May 2009
There's a number of settings that are considered genres -- fantasy, sci-fi, etc.

The problem is that "genre" isn't a comprehensive, mutually-exclusive categorization. It's more like a tag list.

There are setting genres. There are story type genres -- comedy and drama for example. There are character attribute genres, like superpowers. There are theme genres, like music. There are metacontent genres, like ecchi.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 21, 2019 11:30 AM

Nov 2010
It's genre to me, it tells me already what kind of anime to expect.
Feb 21, 2019 12:51 PM
Jul 2018
It should be just considered a setting or as others said, a tag label. Genres are known to be general themes of a story. School is not a theme, it's a place. If you have a show based in a school, the genres such as drama, romance, etc. are what really make the show. The school is just there for setting.
Feb 21, 2019 12:55 PM

May 2009
PaintedFox said:
It should be just considered a setting or as others said, a tag label. Genres are known to be general themes of a story. School is not a theme, it's a place. If you have a show based in a school, the genres such as drama, romance, etc. are what really make the show. The school is just there for setting.
Except the same can be said of basically any setting.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 21, 2019 1:03 PM

Jan 2011
KomaDoll said:
It's genre to me, it tells me already what kind of anime to expect.

^This

I like to think of it as a genre but i never been sure if it correct. In any case is one of my fav genre/setting.
Feb 21, 2019 1:08 PM
Jul 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
PaintedFox said:
Except the same can be said of basically any setting.

A setting is not a theme. It is not the overall point of a story. It's there to help a story, but it's not the main idea of what makes the story. So it's not a genre, in my opinion anyway.
Feb 21, 2019 1:18 PM

Jan 2019
Most of the time a school is just a setting. In some instances though, especially with sports anime, it can be seen as a genre.

If the entire show is about a school basketball team, then school could be used as a genre descriptor.

If the characters just happen to be enrolled in a school, then I'd say it's a setting.
“What are you scared of? Nothing good has ever come from fear.” – Kawabuchi Sentarou
Feb 21, 2019 1:18 PM

Sep 2017
I mean it's clearly not, but that doesn't mean I want MAL to remove it. I like they list many things that aren't genres in the genre section because it helps for classifying and gives the user a better insight of what the show will be.
Feb 21, 2019 1:26 PM

Feb 2018
Depends on the situation. It could be classified as a simple scenario or also as a genre, since it could be taken into account as "School life", which would give you an idea of ​​what the anime would be like. The same thing happens with demographics, at least it gives you an idea of ​​what the anime will be like in a certain way. For what MAL facilitates in that way in the search for animes.

More topics from this board

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

33 by WatchTillTandava »»
23 seconds ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 8 hours ago

18 by Shirayukin »»
37 seconds ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

22 by epidemia78 »»
16 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9051 by appledude1221 »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

36 by piroriparopirira »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.