Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Banana Fish wins the fans voting for Anime of the Year at the Tokyo Animation Award Festival

New
Feb 15, 2019 8:53 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
It got 68,507 votes.

https://animefestival.jp/ja/post/10237/

The Top 10 :

1- Banana Fish (68,507 votes)
2- Osomatsu-san Season 2 (46,122)
3- Dream Festival! R (22,334)
4- Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteru (17,047)
5- Detective Conan Movie 22: Zero the Enforcer (16,621)
6- Dynamic Chord (14,249)
7- Yowamushi Pedal Glory Line (11,045)
8- Attack on Titan Season 3 (10,804)
9- Free! Dive to the Future (10,305)
10- Zombieland Saga (9,683)

The Top 10 as a whole is a joke lmao.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Feb 15, 2019 11:13 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
DatRandomDude said:
It got 68,507 votes.

https://animefestival.jp/ja/post/10237/

The Top 10 :

1- Banana Fish (68,507 votes)
2- Osomatsu-san Season 2 (46,122)
3- Dream Festival! R (22,334)
4- Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteru (17,047)
5- Detective Conan Movie 22: Zero the Enforcer (16,621)
6- Dynamic Chord (14,249)
7- Yowamushi Pedal Glory Line (11,045)
8- Attack on Titan Season 3 (10,804)
9- Free! Dive to the Future (10,305)
10- Zombieland Saga (9,683)

The Top 10 as a whole is a joke lmao.

not surprising to see osomatsu and conan up there... both classics with massive followings. Just look at how the detective conan movie is movie TWENTY TWO... Just, damn! That's a lot of movies!

I haven't seen many of the others so far... Halfway through Free, which is shaping up nicely enough so far... Lots of tension but no resolutions yet.

Attack on Titan has lot the hype. They waited too long to adapt the new series. :(

I think Banana Fish deserves to be at the top 10, even the #1. It's an excellent series.

It's a shame that there wasn't much attention in the West. Mainly due to amazon being a shit licensor with regards to anime series. It ended up being practically unknown, unfortunately.

Feb 15, 2019 12:32 PM

Mar 2012
I knew it would win. The BF fandom is very passionate and multi-generational. It's a great series but the manga is still waaaay better. @quercifolia, Amazon didn't even promote the series. Only reason anybody knew about was Yuri On Ice fans being very vocal and thankful to MAPPA.
Feb 15, 2019 12:50 PM

Oct 2010
It's really good so I guess I'm fine with it winning, but still... I think I held it too high at the beginning and I lost my passion towards the show as it went on. Not that it did anything specially wrong for that to happen, but it kind of wore down. Specially with the emotional moments. I don't know why but they just don't land, not half as strongly as they are probably intended to. And seeing many fans speak about how much they cried each episode felt kind of disonant for me during its airing.

Seems like a quite weird top10 though.
Feb 16, 2019 5:05 AM

Feb 2018
Good for BF it really deserves it
Feb 16, 2019 7:19 AM

Aug 2018
Incredible relieved to hear Banana Fish won AotY, it deserves to win. Such a shame it did not receive the media attention it should have in the west though. I recently read some anime magazine articles on Banana Fish in the west, and perhaps it's due to the lack of advertising but I always found a subtle tone of harshness in their words in their articles on BF. With viz reprinting the manga, lets hope it helps to bring more attention to the series in general, it's way underrated in the west.
Feb 16, 2019 7:21 AM
Apr 2016
Hahaha Banana Fish being #1 isn't really surprising honestly.
Feb 16, 2019 6:28 PM

Oct 2018
Really happy for BF, Oso, and Kaze Ga! But wow BF really beat the competition by a landslide, I'm glad, it deserves it.

The Western fans probably wouldn't even get Osomatsu san 2 and Kaze Ga in the top 50 lmao, Banana Fish would barely scrape top 10 or 20 here, so it's good to see some appreciation for them.

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Feb 16, 2019 6:34 PM

May 2015
Im actually so happy this anime got what it deserved. I watched like most of the seasonal anime and man this has been the best ive seen in so long.
My Candies:
Feb 16, 2019 10:46 PM

Oct 2012
Banana Fish absolutely deserved it! A good anime, and an excellent manga. Love ya, Ash Lynx~!
Feb 17, 2019 12:46 PM

Mar 2012
plutochan said:
Incredible relieved to hear Banana Fish won AotY, it deserves to win. Such a shame it did not receive the media attention it should have in the west though. I recently read some anime magazine articles on Banana Fish in the west, and perhaps it's due to the lack of advertising but I always found a subtle tone of harshness in their words in their articles on BF. With viz reprinting the manga, lets hope it helps to bring more attention to the series in general, it's way underrated in the west.
That's because most outlets in the west are uninformed and have the perception that it's a "yaoi" anime about a gay couple that happen to be "gayngsters". LGBTQ stuff is really frowned upon here in the west in the anime community with the exception of the fujoshi and fudanshi audiences. So they were extra critical about it where as if Eiji had been a girl or a little kid like Skip for Ash to look after, they wouldn't be so critical. I've talked to many people on here and elsewhere on the net that gave the series "6" or less in ratings and they all seemed to go into it with low expectations and were harsh on it. Remember what I told you about people like @GuardianEnzo who even stopped blogging about it after unintentionally disparaging BF fans and seemingly completely misunderstanding the premise? That stuff was rampant.
MetaKiteFeb 18, 2019 6:09 AM
Feb 22, 2019 6:52 PM

Feb 2009
First place deserved.
Friend Code 3DS: 4914-3165-5517
Feb 22, 2019 9:35 PM

Aug 2017
Congratulations to Banana Fish.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 24, 2019 2:25 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Not that the anime deserves that much, BF joining in and supporting even if they dont feel that much for the series themselves, bunch of hypocrisy if you ask me, understandable but still.
There are alot of better anime in 2018 than Banana Fish.
Feb 24, 2019 7:51 AM

Mar 2015
plutochan said:

You can blame amazon for this, sadly almost every anime they get just fades in obscurity here.
Mar 1, 2019 9:18 PM
Jul 2018
Glad that the BF anime got the award. Even though most people over here couldn't appreciate it (to put it in polite terms) lmao.
Mar 2, 2019 3:20 AM

Aug 2018
MetaKite said:
plutochan said:
That's because most outlets in the west are uninformed and have the perception that it's a "yaoi" anime about a gay couple that happen to be "gayngsters". LGBTQ stuff is really frowned upon here in the west in the anime community with the exception of the fujoshi and fudanshi audiences. So they were extra critical about it where as if Eiji had been a girl or a little kid like Skip for Ash to look after, they wouldn't be so critical. I've talked to many people on here and elsewhere on the net that gave the series "6" or less in ratings and they all seemed to go into it with low expectations and were harsh on it. Remember what I told you about people like @GuardianEnzo who even stopped blogging about it after unintentionally disparaging BF fans and seemingly completely misunderstanding the premise? That stuff was rampant.

Yeah. Fair enough if it's not your taste. However, all this stuff if 'Eiji was a girl' etc, really shows how hypocritical and backwards society can be.

lezerman said:

You can blame amazon for this, sadly almost every anime they get just fades in obscurity here.

I agree, 'the great passage' and 'after the rain' deserves better recognition.
Mar 7, 2019 1:47 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
@metakite

it says you tagged me here but I don't see any post... ovo

Mar 7, 2019 1:51 AM

Oct 2018
nice too see Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteru at 4th though

Casual Anime Shitposter
Mar 8, 2019 7:35 AM

Mar 2012
quercifolia said:
@metakite

I did here back on Feb 15th.
MetaKite said:
I knew it would win. The BF fandom is very passionate and multi-generational. It's a great series but the manga is still waaaay better. @quercifolia, Amazon didn't even promote the series. Only reason anybody knew about was Yuri On Ice fans being very vocal and thankful to MAPPA.
Mar 9, 2019 6:26 PM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
MetaKite said:
quercifolia said:
@metakite

I did here back on Feb 15th.
MetaKite said:

Oh oops. Sorry I have no idea how I missed that ;-;

Amazon really should just stay away from Anime, it seems...
Despite that, I never heard of it either until a month ago. I was looking in someone else’s list, and thought the name was interesting (and checked it out). It’s a real shame that so few people will get to know about it and/or watch it

More topics from this board

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2018

345 by anjalpaudel »»
Apr 20, 8:04 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2018

121 by matheoo41 »»
Apr 13, 5:55 PM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2018

69 by matheoo41 »»
Apr 13, 5:41 PM

» how gay is this shit?

KuroudoAkabane - May 14, 2023

37 by Merve2Love »»
Apr 13, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

66 by unclearjustice »»
Dec 26, 2023 8:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.