Forum Settings
Forums

What's the best way to experience manga in your opinion?

Feb 13, 4:40 PM

I mean, how exactly do you read manga? Do you buy it and have it physical? Do you read online? Also, do you prefer the silence while reading or some background soundtrack? Cheers!

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours

Feb 13, 5:45 PM

I prefer the feel of a physical book in my hands, but that doesn't stop me from reading manga on my Kindle or BookWalker if they're a.)notably cheaper or b.) available in that format only.

As for background noise, no. Unless there's a song I really wanna listen to, I refrain from listening to any music while reading. It's distracting when I'm constantly hitting the skip button on my MP3 because I don't wanna listen to this song or this song or that song or this song or that song or that one, definitely not that one, nor this one, why would I wanna listen to this, why did I put this on here, maybe I'll--nope, not this, either. Or this one. Or this one. Or that one...

Feb 13, 7:23 PM
Dragon Slayer

The best way is physical. Especially if you're wanting to appreciate the art.

Feb 13, 10:17 PM

Reading it eyes open, as all things should naturally be.

Feb 14, 1:00 AM

The best manga reading experience i've ever had was like 8 months ago when i had just recovered from typhoid.

my whole body was kinda was warm due to mild fever all the time,my taste buds were ruined due to medications and vomiting thus i was not feeling like eating or drinking anything. I just wanted to laze around. So i pulled out my phone and started browsing my plan to read list and decided to check out this harem series - Rosario vampire.

boy...somehow the experience was intense. Those guilty pleasure...mm....i would really recommend you to read borderline h stuff when you have fever or something....

Feb 14, 2:42 AM

I prefer having a physical copy, but I still read quite a bunch online, seeing as the closest bookstore that sells manga is quite a ways away from where I live.

As for the background sound, I normally prefer it to be silent. If not, then maybe some instrumental music or soundtracks; nothing with lyrics in it, otherwise it'll be super distracting.

Feb 14, 5:20 AM

Yeah, I feel like touching the paper and sense what you're reading atm is truthfully unmatched, but I have a lot of problems with physical copies, since where I live the variety of manga is quite scarce. Most of the time I prefer some instrumental music, but this will depend on the atmosphere I want to create while reading.

foscor70 said:
The best manga reading experience i've ever had was like 8 months ago when i had just recovered from typhoid.

my whole body was kinda was warm due to mild fever all the time,my taste buds were ruined due to medications and vomiting thus i was not feeling like eating or drinking anything. I just wanted to laze around. So i pulled out my phone and started browsing my plan to read list and decided to check out this harem series - Rosario vampire.

boy...somehow the experience was intense. Those guilty pleasure...mm....i would really recommend you to read borderline h stuff when you have fever or something....

Haha this was interesting to read, I'll definitely try it, even though I'm quite sluggish when I have a fever.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours

Feb 14, 5:29 AM

If I really enjoy the artwork/story I buy them. I always enjoy physical books/manga way more than digital. If it's something hard to find or smut I read it online.

An empty head bloomed with blossoms.

Feb 14, 7:27 AM

MrVeso said:
The best way is physical. Especially if you're wanting to appreciate the art.

But you can also appreciate the art when reading a full hd scan on a computer :/
I love having physical copies of my favorite series, but sometimes I just wish to have larger pages just like the master edition for blame.

Feb 14, 8:35 AM
Waifutano

i honestly find it more easy to read online for some reason, it just seems so overwhelming reading it physically, idk its hard to explain
-Mitsuri Kanroji-
"You mustn't laugh"
"you mustn't, you mustn't, you mustn't.”

Feb 14, 9:05 AM

I always prefer to read manga with no background noise.
other than that, any way of reading manga is fine for me.

Feb 14, 12:07 PM

I prefer reading Manga online, with one page shown at a time, so I can scroll downward. I don't like seeing two pages at once, because my eyes will always glance over and spoil something early, and I hate it when that happens.

I have no attachment to physical print, as I hated books growing up. My hands also sweat within a couple of minutes of holding a book, so I prefer not to read physical stuff, although I do have a small collection, but it's mostly just for decoration.
Modified by Seiya, Feb 15, 8:02 AM

Feb 14, 1:26 PM

Physical volume is the best.

But scans do the trick. You can conveniently zoom in if you want to screen something, and well, it's free.

I like listening to music while reading. Associating a song to a scene and remembering it when said track randomly pops up is a really nice feeling.

Feb 15, 10:06 AM

I prefer to read manga online in silence to concentrate.

I've read manga in physical but I don't enjoy it.

Feb 16, 4:28 AM

I haven't tried reading a physical copy but reading online with full silence is good to me though I could say the best experience I had so far , when I was reading Kingdom while listening to war soundtracks, it was just epic. And the art style is another factor for me, I highly enjoyed reading Otoyomegatari because of it.

i'm awesome right?!
fight me!!

Feb 16, 5:40 AM

Yeah, physical copy can never be beaten but I read mostly on my phone. The really best way to read for me is being at a really breezy place with a lot of nature and just sitting there reading quietly. No music, just the sound of nature. Probably the most perfect setting to read in general since I can't concentrate if other external noises are present.

Jul 24, 10:50 AM

I only get physical copies for licensed series that I might really enjoy, since I don't own anything like a Kindle to read digital copies.
I don't put background music while I read. There are cases where the manga I'm reading has an anime adaptation that I've seen, where in that case I just imagine that anime's OST as I read.

Jul 25, 6:42 PM

i think my best experiences are whenever i purchase actual physical volumes of manga. growing up i was a bit of a book
worm so i think i'll always be slightly partial to physical copies and i like collecting them too. idk i just enjoy reading and feeling
the pages beneath my fingertips idk if that's weird but i feel like i allow myself to get absorbed a bit more easily - this might also
be because i have to take breaks if i'm reading on my phone since it gives me a headache... and i prefer having a bit of background
music playing while i read. i tend to listen to ambient music already so pretty much anything on my playlist works!

Aphex Twin - Nanou2

0:00 ●━━━━━━─────── 3:24

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ◁ㅤㅤ❚❚ㅤㅤ▷ㅤㅤㅤㅤ↻

✉『 deliveries | club 』✉

Jul 25, 10:25 PM
Having a physical copy of the volume. I like to see a lot of volumes on my shelf.

Jul 26, 2:02 AM
Fap while reading. Amaizing

Jul 26, 3:28 AM

a room with white lighting and nice fragrance, some snacks on side,a good solid surface to lean the back on, your gf/bg sleeping beside you.

Jul 27, 8:47 PM

i don't like physical for reading because most manga is paperback which would normally be fine but it seems like manga gets creased more easily unless you're really careful, which gets tedious. if manga was hardcover i would prefer physical, but the vast majority of manga isn't hardcover and the few that are are very expensive.

so the next best thing is my phone. i don't like reading manga on my laptop, for some reason that bothers me and it just "feels" better to read it on my phone.

i don't usually have any background music when i read manga, but if the environment i'm trying to read manga in is loud/annoying i put in earbuds and crank classical music. i wouldn't be able to focus if i listened to music i liked and music that had lyrics, so classical music is a great alternative if you need something to listen too when you read manga.

Jul 31, 7:49 PM
I read physical copies of all my manga. I don't like reading any of my comics online, as I like the feel of the pages between my fingers and the ability to quickly flip through the book if and when necessary (or just because).

I've only read a single volume of a manga online, Anne Freaks volume 4 (after reading the hard copies of the first three). That was way back before I was working and I eventually got the hardcopy of volume 4 a few months later.

I like having music going when I read manga, but not always. It just depends how my mood is at the time.

Aug 1, 4:31 PM

GuiMR said:
I mean, how exactly do you read manga?

The absolute optimal experience would be to buy digital copies and then read it on a high-resolution Kindle or tablet.

The feel of reading physical is nice, but for appreciating the art, the clear picture and the ability to zoom of digital makes it a lot easier to see minute details and appreciate the work put into the pages. I use my phone, which isn't as good, of course, but it works.

I find it hard to read on laptop because of the abstraction between flipping through pages and scrolling a mouse wheel. Touch screens give a similar experience to physical while gaining the advantages of digital.

Listening to music is usually detrimental while reading - it makes it harder for you to concentrate on the manga, and often conveys a mood that does not fit with the series. That being said, it can be useful for blocking out unwanted noise, and I usually do it just because I always have music on.

ANIME

Nov 1, 11:43 AM
blindfolded and listening to ningen isu. there is no other way
A: No. but to sum up, This is either real or a transcedental hypersimulation indistinguishable from reality.
Q: how to tell the difference ?
A: wait for the power to fail. it always does.

Nov 1, 1:14 PM
I prefer to read physical manga in a quite room alone. On bed in my own room to be more specific.

Nov 1, 10:27 PM
I prefer physical if I can,preferably with silence or calming music thats relatively quiet

Nov 2, 3:43 AM

In my experience,

After finishing all your works which you then are finally completely free, and after then taking a pleasant warm shower, as you gaze out of the window - it's a clear night sky [with stars or whatever tf you crave for], and rather tranquil despite not being completely quiet. As you turn off all the lights and hop onto your bed, you eventually take your phone out and read the manga that is currently giving you most excitement. You lie there, immerse in the story... boom it's 3 a.m. You're fucked, "how tf am I gonna wake up at 6 for class tomorrow now?", then you look at memes.
. . .

Nov 2, 5:17 AM

In a comfy setting.

I prefer physical but it's too expensive if you are to buy everything you read(also I don't like reading manga's French localization), but HQ scans are also pretty good because you can zoom in on the page, which imo can be less straining on the eyes.

Nov 2, 6:27 AM

A nice comfy place, a cup of nice green tea, silence and a physical copy of a manga volume I've been waiting to buy and read - THIS is the definition of my enjoyed me-time.

Would only get scans or a digital copy if the manga isn't available in a language I can read or is completely sold out and therefor impossible to obtain.

Nov 11, 2:32 AM
Iyya said:
I prefer to read physical manga in a quite room alone. On bed in my own room to be more specific.

Pretty much this.

I read my manga physically in silence (except when I'm laughing anyway, as I have several comedies). Digital is alright, but I greatly prefer the feel and smell of a physical book. I also have the blinds drawn because sometimes young children pass by the window and it would be quite difficult to explain what I'm reading to them if they want to know (I don't think any of my manga is appropriate for their age).
Modified by Digibutter64, Nov 11, 2:45 AM

Nov 11, 6:45 AM
Of course buy a physical copy AND even a hardcover or deluxe version if there is one ... and yeah silence and if there is an anime I download the soundtrack ... thats the best way to enjoy it I think ! Although I really enjoy reading manga while on a trip without any of these..

Nov 11, 8:48 AM

I read everything online because I don't have the money to buy every mangas that I want.

Nov 11, 7:05 PM

Even though it's more expensive, I really prefer physical. There is just something about holding it in your hands that makes it more satisfying for me. Not a snob though, I'll read digital on Shonen Jump as well.

Nov 12, 3:29 AM
UwU

physical hands down. I find it really hard to get myself immersed when reading on a screen also, I like the art better in print~

"The Imagination is a weapon
 Those who don't use it die first."

Nov 16, 8:09 PM

Online, vertical scrolling format whenever I can get it.
Video games can be educational. The Oregon Trail taught me that Manifest Destiny is fatal.

Nov 17, 12:32 AM

Reading manga with tablet is really enjoyable and motivates to read more.
Physical copies are overrated. I just like them to have in my room, though.

Nov 17, 5:29 AM

While laying down in my bed with the physical copy, if it is available in my country. While I’m also good with reading digitally, nothing beats the feeling of closing the manga and putting it back to the shelf once I’m finished with it.

I prefer to read it in my room because it’s the place where I can relax the most and there won’t be any other people present that will make noises.
Just as noises from people bother my reading, music do too so I read it in complete silence.

Nov 17, 8:34 AM

Unfortunately 90% of what I read I have to read online because I do not have the funds to pay for my habitual reading. Holding a physical book/manga in my hands is still the best way to me. With a nice cup of coffee and some lo-fi mix.

An empty head bloomed with blossoms.

Nov 17, 3:37 PM

There are some that have music to them,
I think more creators could do this where they give us specific music that goes with each chapter. That was really amazing when I read Killing Stalking and listened to the music, it created a full experience.

I do like listening to some music while I read but it has to be something ambient, basically something that is not distracting, let's say you're reading a horror and then you can find dark atmospheric music to go with it, that is nice.

Mostly I don't listen to anything while I read manga. I prefer the physical copy of course, but I also read them online, which I hate. It's a work of art and everyone should buy the actual manga if they can, it's just not the same as looking at the screen.