Forum Settings
Forums

Does popularity influence your enjoyment and/or personal connection to an anime?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 14, 2019 1:04 AM

Feb 2017
Recently, yes. Usually, I don't like popular things, (aside from anime series), and it make it worse that has a huge hype and a fandom that spreads their fascination, even at an obsessive degree, around every page and/or forum. And makes it EVEN worse that, at first, if I have zero interest or if I don't have any intention to give it a try, making its presence of this porpular anime/live-action/western animated series, or singer, or band, or whatever, becomes too much heavy, hard to swallow, painful and annoying. One particular case, and, if you know me, you know that I have a popular series in my blacklist: One Piece.
What is my problem with One Piece? There are some reasons behind this, and most people who enjoy this they wouldn't believe why I can't understand the jokes, the plot or even a "special charm", but one of the main reasons that I don't like One Piece is that (in my very personal opinion) has a huge amount of popularity and I've heard a lot of people usually praising it because of its characters, its plot, the humor, among other things. It can be good. You can enjoy and keep watching something that other people can consider it bad or lame, but it has something that draw you to watching it. One Piece can be good to some people. Maybe it can be enjoyable for a large group of people and that's fine. My main problem over this series, and the principal factor here is the fanboys, that exaggerate its true value and make One Piece an overrated series, giving it a status that I don't think it really deserves. And, in fact, I have seen a couple of episodes since the beginning (the first season) and, I didn't find it anything truly special about it. Then, there were some friends, people who like it and they told me that because I haven't seen "X" episode or I need to watch until "X" story arc to start to like it, and it usually is from the 50th or 70th or the 100th episode.
I have a personal belief about every anime series that I decide to watch: It has to be interesting, it has to catch my attention since the FIRST episode. I don't have to keep watching the filler episodes until it reaches a good story arc or to keep following it because the next episode could be better than the las 5 or 10 filler episodes.

Same problem, they aren't on my blacklist, but I wouldnt' watch them, and it doesn't matter if they call them with that infamous term "masterpieces" because it makes me suspect even more that they are not as good as people believe, and, because those anime series are in they personal favorites, they believe that you didn't understand them or you have "shit taste" (other infamous "term"), nothing but a cheap excuse for these kind of people that feel offended in a (very) personal way because you didn't agree with they own personal (and obsessive) points of view. Here, I put on this list: Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Code Geass, Hunter x Hunter, GTO or Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure. I've heard a lot of people praising it, make it a "total must watch", but there's nothing on these series that catch my attention or showing something that, if I could have seen somewhere else or it's not like most of thier fandom think that is a total "masterpiece". I can't deny if all these series that I've mentioned before they couldn't be good, or enjoyable, or there are people who sincerely like, or love it, that's fine. But, the true problem here is the overhype, the over-exposition across the internet on every page that is related to anime or is that exaggerated exaltation, that out-of-place value that doesn't have, from the beginning, and that obsessive section of their particular fandom that claims everywhere that is the best thing ever, it's perfect and you should think it too, if not, brace yourself...
AnimaExZeroFeb 14, 2019 1:07 AM
We are EVERYWHERE...
Feb 14, 2019 2:55 AM

Jun 2016
The more weeb teenagers like something, the chance I will care about it gets lower.
Feb 14, 2019 3:35 AM

May 2013
HopefulNihilist said:
Most people will reply with, "no" but that's bullshit.
We are humans. Social animals. We are peer pressured into doing certain things, consciously or subconsciously. If it wasn't for its critical acclaim, I don't think I would've enjoyed Monster as much.

Not really sure about that when it comes to personal enjoyment, since peer pressure discards personal choice if you are giving into it.

If MAL's user count on the listing page is anything to talk about, I went into Maison Ikkoku blind and enjoyed the hell out of it... when considering not many have watched it (9k users) and it is not a very popular show , in comparison to something very popular like One Piece (500k users) which I simply don't enjoy even after being suggested to try it out in the past... keeping in mind the raving reviews and overwhelming popularity about it.

It's the same with video games. As an example, TES V : Skyrim (2011) was overwhelmingly popular and I too bought into the hype and played it for what it was. It was decent until I picked up a 2002 game called TES III : Morrowind recently, relatively very very few play or talk about it and I am enjoying it to the point where I feel Skyrim was wide as an ocean but shallow as a puddle. I feel more invested to the Elder Scrolls universe/lore through this game than through Skyrim.

ps : I shall point out that I don't have any special affinity towards older things. I like what I like through my time invested in something.
KreatorXFeb 14, 2019 3:45 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Feb 14, 2019 3:50 AM
May 2009
Popularity doesn't affect my enjoyment. It does affect whether I choose to watch a show, and in that regard also my personal connection or attachment to a series.
Feb 14, 2019 6:24 AM

May 2018
@AnimaExZero
The funny thing is that One Piece does become better after X episodes (and periodically gets good and bad and good again ect.) ...literally.
It even explains some awkward moments at the beginning.
The tone definitely changes to darker (it's a bit childish at start but wait for Arlong Park and Alabasta...which I don't like but demonstrate what the show is really about), there is very strong world building and after only 10 episodes you don't even have the slightest idea how complex are the charters (yes Luffy too).
- This is one of the One Piece main problems - it's a slow burn. Really really slow burn.
- Another problem is that the good stuff: world conspiracy, fractions of the Forbidden History, clues for finding the One Piece treasure ect. are delivered very unevenly.
- This is a studio Toei show thus production values are low and the animation frequently looks like crap. It peeks up at some point (for me it's best at Thriller Bark and Impel Down) but in the beginning it's really bad.
- A lot of filler and recap episodes which ruin the pacing even more. You can skip those.
- And finally I dropped the series around 724...it was crawling with under a chapter for episode adaption rate.
So actually those people who recommended it to you have some solid reasons. With time the MCs become really likeable (more people join them) and some antagonists are likeable too. Usualy nobody mentions the BGM music but it's great. I don't consider the time invested in those 724 episodes as wasted.

I have a personal belief about every anime series that I decide to watch: It has to be interesting, it has to catch my attention since the FIRST episode.

OK but One Piece is not one of those.
Same goes for other long series like Detective Conan and Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu which don't look very promising at the beginning.

a "total must watch"

Well I also don't like Code Geass (which I despise ), Hunter x Hunter, GTO, JoJo and those similar to them but they sure demontsrate what kind of media is anime.
It is up to you finding you favorite titles.

Feb 14, 2019 6:46 AM

Apr 2017
It doesn't. I may be more likely to pick up a popular show, as there is a good probability that I will like it. It's popular for a reason, after all. But other than that, I won't like it more just because it's popular. If it's not something that I like, I will drop it. Otherwise I will give it a fair score according to its quality and according to how much I enjoyed it. Usually popular shows are solid 7 to 8, because they lack that something to make them amazing for that something that makes them popular. There are exceptions though. Personal connection is purely based on enjoyment and whether it gave me something other than that, and influenced me in some deeper manner. Popularity again plays no role in that.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Feb 14, 2019 6:50 AM
Jul 2018
KreatorX said:
HopefulNihilist said:
Most people will reply with, "no" but that's bullshit.
We are humans. Social animals. We are peer pressured into doing certain things, consciously or subconsciously. If it wasn't for its critical acclaim, I don't think I would've enjoyed Monster as much.

Not really sure about that when it comes to personal enjoyment, since peer pressure discards personal choice if you are giving into it.

If MAL's user count on the listing page is anything to talk about, I went into Maison Ikkoku blind and enjoyed the hell out of it... when considering not many have watched it (9k users) and it is not a very popular show , in comparison to something very popular like One Piece (500k users) which I simply don't enjoy even after being suggested to try it out in the past... keeping in mind the raving reviews and overwhelming popularity about it.

It's the same with video games. As an example, TES V : Skyrim (2011) was overwhelmingly popular and I too bought into the hype and played it for what it was. It was decent until I picked up a 2002 game called TES III : Morrowind recently, relatively very very few play or talk about it and I am enjoying it to the point where I feel Skyrim was wide as an ocean but shallow as a puddle. I feel more invested to the Elder Scrolls universe/lore through this game than through Skyrim.

ps : I shall point out that I don't have any special affinity towards older things. I like what I like through my time invested in something.

1) Some people may be more immune to peer pressure than others
2) You won't feel peer pressured to enjoy something for everything.
Feb 15, 2019 12:38 AM

Feb 2017
alshu said:
@AnimaExZero
The funny thing is that One Piece does become better after X episodes (and periodically gets good and bad and good again ect.) ...literally.
It even explains some awkward moments at the beginning.
The tone definitely changes to darker (it's a bit childish at start but wait for Arlong Park and Alabasta...which I don't like but demonstrate what the show is really about), there is very strong world building and after only 10 episodes you don't even have the slightest idea how complex are the charters (yes Luffy too).
- This is one of the One Piece main problems - it's a slow burn. Really really slow burn.
- Another problem is that the good stuff: world conspiracy, fractions of the Forbidden History, clues for finding the One Piece treasure ect. are delivered very unevenly.
- This is a studio Toei show thus production values are low and the animation frequently looks like crap. It peeks up at some point (for me it's best at Thriller Bark and Impel Down) but in the beginning it's really bad.
- A lot of filler and recap episodes which ruin the pacing even more. You can skip those.
- And finally I dropped the series around 724...it was crawling with under a chapter for episode adaption rate.
So actually those people who recommended it to you have some solid reasons. With time the MCs become really likeable (more people join them) and some antagonists are likeable too. Usualy nobody mentions the BGM music but it's great. I don't consider the time invested in those 724 episodes as wasted.

I have a personal belief about every anime series that I decide to watch: It has to be interesting, it has to catch my attention since the FIRST episode.

OK but One Piece is not one of those.
Same goes for other long series like Detective Conan and Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu which don't look very promising at the beginning.

a "total must watch"

Well I also don't like Code Geass (which I despise ), Hunter x Hunter, GTO, JoJo and those similar to them but they sure demontsrate what kind of media is anime.
It is up to you finding you favorite titles.

First of all, thank you for taking your time to explain me why there are people who like this anime. You had good, solid reasons to valid your points. The only thing that I have to say it is definitely One Piece is not for me. My only problem with it should be the overhype it has been spread around. Once again, thank you for taking your time to explain me.
Also, if there's a anime that got my interest, even if has a lot of episodes, it doesn't matter. In this case: Gintama. But here, the reason that I dropped was a character named Tae Shimura. Really, everytime she appeared it was like a kick in the n#ts. Specially in a arc focused on her that made me really, REALLY, wanted to kill her. She kills the mood in the entire series, at the point that, because of her, I skipped Gintama (I believe I dropped it around episode 81).
We are EVERYWHERE...
Feb 15, 2019 12:50 AM
May 2018
i dont have any influence of anything in moment when i watch something i am clear example i watch much of genres

and its well-know if you are influenced of the hype or hight expectation or a comment for friends its more likely possible be dissapointed

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Feb 16, 2019 8:52 AM

Apr 2014
i try to stay away from community discussions and such until i finish a show so usually popularity, etc. are non factors for me
Feb 16, 2019 8:57 AM

Jul 2013
Before i start the series i first checkout the rating. If its 8+ i watch an episode or two to get the feel for it. If i enjoy it then its settled. Never been swayed by popularity before and i sure hope it stays that way.
Feb 16, 2019 6:12 PM

Dec 2012
It doesn't really, I'm not going to just watch something because it's popular or avoid it because it's popular for that matter. I have to be interested in checking it out. Indirectly, however, people mentioning it can cause me to look up the plot though and that may or may not make me interested in seeing it depending on whether or not it sounds interesting. I watch independently and do my own thing.
KruszerFeb 16, 2019 6:16 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 16, 2019 6:18 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
most of my favorite anime are 5.0 - 6.0s and i know score and popularity don't correlate, but that should still tell you how popularity influences my decisions since people tend to flock to anime they hear are "really good"
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

65 by Shizuna »»
28 seconds ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 2 hours ago

5 by palm-tree »»
3 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - Yesterday

40 by Spunkert »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

85 by PostMahouShoujo »»
31 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

69 by Caciulacdlac »»
59 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.