Forum Settings
Forums
Feb 9, 3:05 AM
News Team

A press release was held on Saturday which announced an anime movie adaptation of the Ni no Kuni game franchise. The movie will premiere in Japanese theaters this summer. Kento Yamazaki (Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan live action) will voice the main character Yuu.

Synopsis
High schooler Yuu and his friend Haru get involved in a case involving his childhood friend Kotona, which forces them to go back and forth between another world that is different but is somewhat similar to their world, Ni no Kuni. The real world and Ni no Kuni, when Kotona's life is in danger, what's the ultimate choice the three of them have to make in Ni no Kuni?

Staff
Executive Producer, Original Plan, Script: Akihiro Hino (Inazuma Eleven)
Director: Yoshiyuki Momose (Mimi wo Sumaseba)
Music: Joe Hisashi (Kaguya-hime no Monogatari)
Studio: OLM

Ni no Kuni is a game series released by Level-5 in a collaboration with Studio Ghibli. The first game, Shikkoku no Madoushi, was released on Nintendo DS in December 2010. The game was later released under the title Shiroki Seihai no Jouou on PlayStation 3 in November 2011. The sequel Revenant Kingdom was released on PlayStation 4 in March 2018. Cellphone game versions were also released in 2010 and 2012.

Source: Comic Natalie
Modified by Snow, Feb 9, 9:30 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

Feb 9, 4:02 AM
The Angel <3

Hyped! The game was awesome and I hope the anime will be awesome as well.

Feb 9, 4:08 AM

The game already looks like a ghibli movie it might as well be one too.

Feb 9, 4:16 AM

That's a pleasant surprise to see this animated. It'll be interesting to see how the art style will look like in the end with OLM, but I'm confident that this movie will turn out to be good, since a part of the main staff from the franchise are working on this movie too.

Feb 9, 4:17 AM
Review Moderator
Catch Em' Hands

Hyped for this! One of the finest JRPG franchises in recent years.

Feb 9, 4:39 AM
>makes a game with ghibli
>doens't get ghibli to do the anime

why

Feb 9, 5:09 AM

OMG this is some amazing news. Can't wait to see it

Feb 9, 5:17 AM

If it's as charming as the game then I'm in.

Feb 9, 5:36 AM

I still need to finish the first and second game on PS3 and PS4 respectively (despite names of some characters and locations have changed for English version but luckily still having Japanese audio with the original names in dialogues). Sounds like this is going to be a different story. I was actually expecting a Ghibli movie adaptation of the first game (which Oliver was the MC), since it was a collaboration with that studio. But I'll give this one a chance. Hopefully it sets in the same world as the two games.

Feb 9, 7:38 AM

its a shame Ghibli arnt animating this, at least Joe Hisashi's on board

Feb 9, 8:37 AM
SHSL Good Luck

It's gonna be an original story because the synopsis makes it seem like so. Nevertheless, pretty excited for this one, since I'm a fan of the games. As long as they can nail the art design and visual spectacle, I'll be glad enough.

Feb 9, 8:56 AM

I only played the second game before last year and it's definitely an underrated franchise imo. Hyped for this!

Feb 9, 8:57 AM
YES YES YES!! I LOVE NI NO KUNI! After the second game, I wanted more content. I would love to see the characters from the game to appear in the movie.

Feb 9, 8:58 AM
Stark700 said:
I only played the second game before last year and it's definitely an underrated franchise imo. Hyped for this!
Same!!! Hype train!

Feb 9, 9:37 AM

I haven't played the games, but it's my understanding their narratives are their weak point... interesting for this of all JRPG series to get an anime movie. The fact it appears to be standalone makes it all the more curious.

Feb 9, 10:17 AM

I didn't like the second game at all because of the gameplay, so them making an anime out of this fits me well.

Feb 9, 11:30 AM

This reminds me I have to play the first one which english patch just came out. Anyway excited for this!

Feb 9, 11:48 AM
I love the game I excited for this one

Feb 9, 12:03 PM

I really love the Ni no Kuni series, would love to have a third entry but a movie is fine too!

Feb 9, 3:55 PM

Nice, I can’t say I’ve ever seen a decent video game to anime adaptation (not including visual novels), but this has a lot of potential. Joe Hisashi on the music is reason enough to watch it.

Feb 9, 6:01 PM

Video Game to anime adaptions rarely are ever good, but I'll watch this one I guess I really loved both games.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"

Feb 9, 6:30 PM

Too bad Ghibli won't be doing it, then it would be pretty much guaranteed to be at least decent, but I'll still give it a watch.

Feb 9, 7:15 PM

Hopefully the movie is good. The sequel game that came out last year was almost as big a disappointment and scam as Final Fantasy XV.

Feb 9, 11:08 PM

Sounds like they're just using the name of the game to make an anime. Doesn't appear to be an adaption of either game based on the description provided. At this point, I'm just seeing it as an isekai with Yoshiyuki Momose's character designs.

Googling around and finding a description of the characters, definitely not a big fan of it so far. Hopefully it focuses less on that and more on the adventure aspect of the Ni no Kuni franchise, not that I expect much from a movie but still, not looking forward to more 3 way teen drama.

Feb 10, 5:28 AM
changelog

I fell for that trap so hard when I played the game.

Feb 10, 6:27 AM
I played Ni no Kuni 2 on PC. It is so amazing, one of the best jRPG I ever played

Feb 10, 8:17 AM

I can understand why Ghibli might not be involved, since they weren't even involved with the second game in the series, and aren't even really a studio anymore... It's a shame that Studio Ponoc couldn't be part of the project, though.
::End of Transmission::

Feb 11, 6:17 AM

NnK2 game was such overrated garbage and i really dont care to see more of it.

Feb 12, 4:05 AM

Only played the first one and I loved it. I will be looking forward to this!

Feb 12, 5:04 PM

Cool! Really loved Nino kuni games!