Forum Settings
Forums

Why Do I Like Philosophical/Psychological Anime?

New
Feb 8, 2019 12:21 AM

Dec 2018
I feel like I'm being pretentious when I say I like a philosophical or psychological anime since I can guarantee I don't understand a good portion of it. Nevertheless, I keep watching and enjoying anime of this genre.

Example:
Serial Experiments Lain is one of my favorite anime and I can't really explain why. I've also watched Neon Genesis Evangelion , Texhnolyze, Ergo Proxy and a bunch of Satoshi Kon stuff with similar great impressions, but I can still say I prefer NGE over Ergo Proxy, Ergo Proxy over Satoshi Kon stuff, and Satoshi Kon over Texhnolyze (all are still great!).
MirorBSep 26, 2019 9:38 PM
Feb 8, 2019 12:45 AM
May 2016
i think the more you watch the easier it'll be to express your feelings on it clearly
personally, i already have a lot of trouble putting my thoughts and feelings into words correctly in general, and anime isn't an exception. and it's not only with psychological anime, i can have issues putting my feelings and thoughts into words for an anime like k-on. i started writing my thoughts on anime on my anime list and i think that has helped, so maybe check out my list to get a general idea as to what i did, and maybe start doing it yourself. and if i can't express my thoughts properly, i just don't worry about that and move on, and usually i'll get my thoughts on it gathered later. and if i can never get those thoughts gathered into words properly, i just shrug it off, it's not that big of a deal
the only thing that really matters is that you enjoy the anime, it does not matter if you put it into words or not
ShiroanonFeb 8, 2019 2:10 AM
Feb 8, 2019 1:40 AM

Sep 2016

If you don't understand something but still like it simply means that you are a curious human being who is amazed by wisdoms and mysteries,
hence you like philosophy which means "love of wisdom" and psychological stuff often appears like a big mystery.

This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 8, 2019 1:48 AM

Sep 2012
MirorB said:
So my question here is why do I like philosophical and psychological anime?

It's just your taste. There is no need for an explanation. It's just like fetishes. Why do you have that one certain weird fetish? Nobody knows. However, this is the subject of human psychology so you can make your own research about it.
Feb 8, 2019 1:52 AM
Aug 2017
I'm exactly the same. I absolutely love the genres you mentioned but can't really explain why. Actually, it's not just limited to those two genres of anime. I guess there's no need to explain why as long as we're enjoying ourselves, right?
Feb 8, 2019 2:12 AM

Nov 2013
Because you want to be pretentious, you want people to think you're smart and edgy at the same time..
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Feb 8, 2019 2:18 AM

Apr 2016
Don't worry I'm the same. I watch all these philosophical anime but I don't even know what they are referencing to. But I still like watching them.

The only philosophical anime that I did get was Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou. And that was just light philosophy that I bet anyone can understand.
Feb 8, 2019 2:29 AM
May 2018
You're the only one that can answer that, buddy ^^. But I also love psychological and philosophical anime, so I can speak for myself here, that may (or may not) give you hints.

What I love about those shows is the fact that it makes me THINK, question the world, and question myself. It often allows me to confront several points of view, which ultimately opens my mind about plenty stuff.

A good example of that is Madoka Magica, in which magical girls keep the balance of the universe. This anime questions the value of an individual on the scale of the whole world. It's a basic question, yet very complex: "what is my place, as an individual, in this collective world?".

There is also Death Note of course, which questions the notions of "morale" and "justice".

But the anime that made me think the most is Code Geass. The notion of "identity", the notion of "consequences", the notion of "loyalty", and of course the question "are the means worth the end?", ... This anime is a golden mine of philosophy.

Anyway, what all of those animes have in common is the fact that it gives FOOD FOR THOUGHT ^^.
It also often gives THRILLS, because psychological stories usually make characters confront unbearable dilemmas or other complicated situations in which WE know we wouldn't be able to react properly.

Long story short, philosophy makes me THINK, and psychology gives me THRILLS, that about sums it up ^^.
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Feb 8, 2019 3:18 AM

Feb 2010
You could always try and read or watch analysis or reviews of these shows from other fans and see if any of their explanations and elaborations resonate with you, if you don't feel reflecting on your own will bring you any clarity.

Also I'd recommend Kino's Journey which is one of my favorite 'philosophical' anime.

Personally I was never confused by why I like them. I've always been interested in philosophy, always liked to think and analyse and theorize, always had an affinity for mystery stories and everything that isn't obvious and streamlined in their narratives and how it presents its themes.

Fiction/entertainment is always about how engaging it is, how immersive, how much it makes the viewer participate in the experience. For me the easiest way to achieve that has always been making me think and wonder and ponder. Whether it's via a mystery-based storyline, non-linear narratives, the presence of philosophical themes about the human condition, simple show-don't-tell directing or fast-paced, witty and observational dialogues. As long as I'm forced to actively pay attention and reflect on what happens in the show, instead of just passively letting it happen before my eyes, it's always gonna be a more engaging experience.

Another big factor is probably that I don't particularly care about endings and I see the author's intention as a guideline at best, but what really matters to me isn't whether at the end of it it all makes sense in an easy, obvious way and that I 'figure out' the 'one true meaning' of such a show. What matters is where the journey leads me, whether it inspires me to come up with interesting and - for me - meaningful interpretations and thought processes.

Basically if I can get something out of it, no matter if it's the thing the author inteded me to get out of it or not, it's a rewarding experience. As long as it feels meaningful to me, that's all that matters.

Also I know from interviews I've read that for example Texhnolyze was deliebrately written to be open to interpretation, to mean something different for each viewer potentially. In the end meaning is created not just in the work, but in the conversation between the work and the viewer and some authors embrace that idea and see whatever their own interpretation is as just one of many options that doesn't and shouldn't take precedence over the interpretations of the viewers.

Long story short, I think if you worry about 'getting' it all, as if there was just one right way to interpret such a work, you're already missing the point of a lot of them. Philosophy isn't something that provides clear-cut answers, because for the most part it deals with topics that don't allow for such answers in the first place (metaphysics, ethics etc...). It's all about ideas and theories and systems of interpreting the world, so to me if a show is 'philosophical' it can't pretend to have one clear cut answer, one correct interpretation either.

Rather than that the success of such shows depend on how inspirational they can be for the viewers, how engaging. But every viewer has to find their own interpretation that is meaningful for them and that they are satisfied with. Philosophy can't provide that for you, and neither can these so-called philosophical shows. They can just teach you about all the interesting questions-without-answers that are out there and worth thinking about.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 8, 2019 3:35 AM

Jun 2016
Have you read any reviews/analysis/interpretations of these series'? If not I'd suggest trying that. Maybe someone out there has already put into words what you were unable to before.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 8, 2019 3:38 AM

Sep 2018
I'm a sucker for these shows just as much dude...majority of these shows are in my favs lol.
I personally like them becoz it gives you something to think over. Maybe it's the same for you?
Many a times you don't get the meaning or the symbolism...at such times rewatching or reading an analysis helps.
But for something like texhnolyze everyone can have different interpretations coz it doesn't spoonfeed the viewer all the details or tell them how they are supposed to feel after watching it (another reason why i love this genre ...at the same time I hate psychological shows which over explain or try to give all the answers).

Pullman said:

Also I know from interviews I've read that for example Texhnolyze was deliebrately written to be open to interpretation, to mean something different for each viewer potentially. In the end meaning is created not just in the work, but in the conversation between the work and the viewer and some authors embrace that idea and see whatever their own interpretation is as just one of many options that doesn't and shouldn't take precedence over the interpretations of the viewers.

Long story short, I think if you worry about 'getting' it all, as if there was just one right way to interpret such a work, you're already missing the point of a lot of them. Philosophy isn't something that provides clear-cut answers, because for the most part it deals with topics that don't allow for such answers in the first place (metaphysics, ethics etc...). It's all about ideas and theories and systems of interpreting the world, so to me if a show is 'philosophical' it can't pretend to have one clear cut answer, one correct interpretation either.

Exactly this^ OP.
majiyabakuneFeb 8, 2019 3:44 AM
Feb 8, 2019 3:45 AM

Jul 2015
Well, given how you ordered NGE, EP, Kon and Texh, I'd say you have pretty goot taste at least so no worries, you just have to figure out why you love them.
First thing, that has nothing to do with philosophy IMO, is that the directors of those shows are GOOD directors with an idea of what they're doing. Lots of directors in the industry are just animators who are able to manage a team, and as a result, the cinematography/directing skills are kinda lacking.
The second thing is, you can totally get some unconscious/visceral understanding of a work. Did I notice every detail in NGE, Utena or FLCL on my first watch? Nah, not really.But the damn sensations while watching them forced me to think about them to understand why I was feeling a certain way at a certain point in the show.

Another thing in common between NGE and EP IMO is the excellent body language of the characters.
Feb 8, 2019 5:29 AM

Oct 2010
Because understanding themes has never been as essential as people often make it look. They are relevant, yes, since they drive the narrative. But you as a spectator have multiple other ways to react and become attached to an anime. In Serial Experiments Lain for instance how does it matter that you haven't read whatever author and whatever theory when just the ambience, the colouring, the storytelling evokes that lasting feel of loneliness and isolation? Do you really need to express your understanding of metaphysics in tangible terms when you are enjoying the mystery and aesthetic evocation of Angel's egg? Being knowledgeable adds another layer to your enjoyment, but it doesn't make it higher.
Feb 8, 2019 5:30 AM

Dec 2015
I can obviously not speak for you but for me it's the same as for everyone else: it makes me think. Just wondering what the creators wanted to convey with their work is satisfying already let alone if it makes me question real life stuff. They are also the most thrilling stories around.
Feb 8, 2019 5:40 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Iunno if it'll help, but what I do with anything is try to isolate the elements that made me like it and focus on trying to communicate those according to their weight.

I've kind of found that once I've understood the foundation of why I love something so much, the rest just kind of starts rolling in and the problem then becomes trying to word it and structure it in a way that's understanding.

Feb 8, 2019 8:00 AM

Mar 2016
It sounds like you just enjoy the feeling that you are witnessing something profound, but don't understand the what or the why. Sometimes the mystery, whether intentional or not, is better than the reality.

This is basically every teenager who sits down to watch Eva or whatever, so it's not like you're alone. Come back in 5 years and it'll make more sense, unless you're just really dense.

This thread is kind of embarrassing though. Did the author die just to excuse the viewer's stupidity? I don't tend to think so. Centuries of thought just for a shrug of the shoulders....it's all up to interpretation man. fucking hell, sometimes things do have meaning, crazy isn't it? Philosophy in its purest form is a dialogue. If there is no understanding of what is being discussed, if there is no sense of movement towards some meaning then it's just word vomit with no purpose. Even two people who understand a scene differently still need to accept that there is some common understanding between them, otherwise a discussion can't even begin to happen.

Writers don't spill gallons of ink just to make their readers go 'rly made me thunk' and leave it at that.
syncrogazerFeb 8, 2019 9:36 AM
Feb 8, 2019 8:07 AM
Jul 2018
Because you want to seem intelligent, either to the people here on MAL or to yourself. In other words, you want validation from others in order to validate your intelligence without actually taking the time to understand things yourself.

It's a sheep-like mentality and it's a shame everyone here is just consoling you for your lack of critical thinking skills. That doesn't answer your question assuming you actually want it answered.
Feb 8, 2019 7:11 PM

Dec 2018
Shiroanon said:
i think the more you watch the easier it'll be to express your feelings on it clearly
personally, i already have a lot of trouble putting my thoughts and feelings into words correctly in general, and anime isn't an exception. and it's not only with psychological anime, i can have issues putting my feelings and thoughts into words for an anime like k-on. i started writing my thoughts on anime on my anime list and i think that has helped, so maybe check out my list to get a general idea as to what i did, and maybe start doing it yourself. and if i can't express my thoughts properly, i just don't worry about that and move on, and usually i'll get my thoughts on it gathered later. and if i can never get those thoughts gathered into words properly, i just shrug it off, it's not that big of a deal
the only thing that really matters is that you enjoy the anime, it does not matter if you put it into words or not

This is my first time replying on MAL and it took a minute to figure out, but I think this is how it works? Anyways, thanks for your advice and personal insight! I can relate with you on how it can be hard to express thoughts on an anime and realized that my problem does extend to other genres, so I'll try that thing you did with a review in the tags column to help gather my thoughts. Thanks again!

Zarutaku said:

If you don't understand something but still like it simply means that you are a curious human being who is amazed by wisdoms and mysteries,
hence you like philosophy which means "love of wisdom" and psychological stuff often appears like a big mystery.

I never really thought about my interest in these genres stemming from curiosity, thank you! I think this is one of the more optimistic-sounding comments and like it for that. Although, I still have my doubts on curiosity being the only thing that drives my enjoyment of the philosophical and psychological, but thanks for your insight, I feel like I'm putting some of the puzzle pieces together.

sasalx said:
MirorB said:

It's just your taste. There is no need for an explanation. It's just like fetishes. Why do you have that one certain weird fetish? Nobody knows. However, this is the subject of human psychology so you can make your own research about it.

I guess some of it is just my natural tastes, huh. I'm going to be taking a psychology class my junior year, so maybe I'll be able to figure this out later when I learn the basics first. Thank you for your comment!

Weirdo47 said:
I'm exactly the same. I absolutely love the genres you mentioned but can't really explain why. Actually, it's not just limited to those two genres of anime. I guess there's no need to explain why as long as we're enjoying ourselves, right?

Glad to see I'm not alone! I also have troubles with more than just these genres (realized this after Shiroanon's comment, but the mentioned genres just seem to get me the most). And yeah, if there's enjoyment from these genres, I shouldn't just avoid them altogether!

KyouKaiTen said:
Because you want to be pretentious, you want people to think you're smart and edgy at the same time..

While I don't see this as the only reason I watch these genres, I can't deny that it isn't part of it (just maybe less trying to be edgy and more trying to look smart). I think it consciously is a thing when I decide to pick up an anime of these genres, but an unconscious thing when I'm actually watching the anime (if that ramblage makes sense).

Manyaa_- said:
Don't worry I'm the same. I watch all these philosophical anime but I don't even know what they are referencing to. But I still like watching them.

The only philosophical anime that I did get was Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou. And that was just light philosophy that I bet anyone can understand.

Not alone x2! Maybe I'll check that out and see what an easier philosophical work is like.

Mod edit: Please don't double post
ArdanazFeb 9, 2019 2:39 AM
Feb 8, 2019 8:02 PM

Oct 2014
Because sometimes leaving abstract ideas simple is the best way to maintain sound judgement. Not everyone can make reasons for why they love something, and even when they do, it's often surface level reasoning made primarily to demonstrate said greatness to an audience, hence it can never measure up to deep and profound feelings that a show can invoke at first hand.

I personally enjoyed the fuck out Mekkaku City Actors anime before touching its other source materials for example. Could I explain everything comprehensively? lmao no, but I still thought it was good nonetheless.

All in all, enjoying something without having a strong, full opinion on its writing doesn't make you less of a fan so I can't personally relate.

Feb 8, 2019 8:19 PM

Dec 2018
HungryForQuality said:
Because you want to seem intelligent, either to the people here on MAL or to yourself. In other words, you want validation from others in order to validate your intelligence without actually taking the time to understand things yourself.

It's a sheep-like mentality and it's a shame everyone here is just consoling you for your lack of critical thinking skills. That doesn't answer your question assuming you actually want it answered.

I admit I sadly do want validation of my intelligence from these watching these genres and that I do lack critical thinking skills. However, I still want to understand anime that falls into these genres so I am willing to take the time to do so. I guess making this forum is counter intuitive to doing it by myself, but is there anything wrong with a little help? I'm kinda just eager to share my appreciation for anime (since I'm a Closet Otaku) and can't really share it if I don't understand it.
Feb 8, 2019 8:24 PM
Jul 2018
MirorB said:
HungryForQuality said:

I admit I sadly do want validation of my intelligence from these watching these genres and that I do lack critical thinking skills. However, I still want to understand anime that falls into these genres so I am willing to take the time to do so. I guess making this forum is counter intuitive to doing it by myself, but is there anything wrong with a little help? I'm kinda just eager to share my appreciation for anime (since I'm a Closet Otaku) and can't really share it if I don't understand it.

Nah nothing's wrong with it. I actually encourage it, maybe I was a bit harsh in how I said it but I still believe I said what needed to be said. Read analyses and created a structured pattern in your head and don't think that everything that is confusing is automatically amazing.

Many times the creator is just as clueless as you are, only difference is he's mastered the art of bullshitting.

Hope this helped. Cheers :)

Feb 8, 2019 8:25 PM

Dec 2018
Sorry if I didn't reply to your comment, but I'm getting kind of tired of typing. I will revisit this topic in the near future. Nevertheless, I have read all your comments and thank you for them, as they have helped me tremendously.
Feb 9, 2019 8:25 PM

Jul 2017
you do not need a reason to like something
and you certainly do not need to explain to others
Feb 9, 2019 8:28 PM
Jul 2018
I also love psychological anime but since I understand them very well I don't get wht shit you enjoy if you don't understand it
Feb 9, 2019 8:44 PM

Feb 2017
MirorB said:

Entertainment is subjective. You like what you like. Sometimes you have a reason. Sometimes you dont.

Its fine if you cannot justify why you like an anime. Your lack of justification doesnt make that anime any less interesting for you, does it?

You dont have to answer to anyone. Keep doing what you like. Dont try to confirm to a particular standard
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

92 by TsutanaiFuun »»
2 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 2 hours ago

4 by TsutanaiFuun »»
7 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

self-suff-des - 49 minutes ago

15 by TsutanaiFuun »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

124 by Matt_MurD0CK »»
12 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 8 hours ago

20 by tmoverbeck »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.