Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Feb 5, 3:31 AM

So just finished the show for the first time and I thought the ending was great but there are still some things unclear to me, especially the whole revolutionise the world power thing.

So what is the power? Is it to tangibly create miracles or is it some symbolism thing which I'm just totally missing?
"The law doesn't protect people, people protect the law."

- Akane Tsunemori

Feb 10, 2:51 PM

dividingMDH said:
So just finished the show for the first time and I thought the ending was great but there are still some things unclear to me, especially the whole revolutionise the world power thing.

So what is the power? Is it to tangibly create miracles or is it some symbolism thing which I'm just totally missing?

This is how I understood it:
Modified by Lain666, Feb 10, 2:58 PM
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."

Feb 11, 6:47 PM

Thanks for the explanation, I'm definitely going to rewatch with all this in mind.

- Akane Tsunemori

Oct 20, 7:56 AM

Exactly what it says on the tin for each character: to find something eternal, to find a shining thing, to prove that miracles don't exist, to validate one's own feelings towards a certain person, simply for the sake of possessing more power, to install an ill boy as the Rose Bride, to help someone they love. What I'm meaning to say is, that's what is 'revolutionary' to each character. They want to revolutionise their own lives, their own worlds, if you get what I mean. All of the characters have issues and the power is what will fix those issues and make their own world ideal, and exactly how they want it to be, the lives they want to have. It's not some magical power or something for the greater good of all of the world, it's an individual 'revolution'.

Now that leaves a lot of loose ends with Akio, who started the whole thing together with Anthy to begin with, as he himself, seeming to have lived for centuries and truly possessing magical or incomprehensible powers to an extent, really seems to have a higher purpose than just revolutionising his own life. Though I think maybe you can get around that too. At the end of the Black Rose arc, when Tokiko visits Akio after all those years, he tells her that at Ohtori Academy children never grow up and Tokiko herself notices that time itself is odd in the Academy. Meaning that Akio, even though he was Dios and a prince once and helped all of the girls of the world, has a limited domain over which he reigns, it doesn't include the whole world. So, even if he wants the power to revolutionise the world, it's still his own little corner of the world really... I mean, Utena, Ruka and Mikage are the three graduates of the Ohtori Academy, people who leave the place, and like Anthy says at the end regarding Utena's fate, that she isn't dead, she simply has left Akio's world. So yeah, his power doesn't extend to the whole world.

Uhh anyways, I think I got carried away and didn't really articulate myself well, but anyways that's just what I think and it can't be confirmed nor denied, with this being a series that is left to the viewer's interpretation and with Kunihiko Ikuhara himself never answering anything regarding the series, makes it pretty clear that he wants fans to come to their own conclusions and not present a single correct answer.

Oct 21, 9:24 PM

-MercuryLamp- said:
Exactly what it says on the tin for each character: to find something eternal, to find a shining thing, to prove that miracles don't exist, to validate one's own feelings towards a certain person, simply for the sake of possessing more power, to install an ill boy as the Rose Bride, to help someone they love. What I'm meaning to say is, that's what is 'revolutionary' to each character. They want to revolutionise their own lives, their own worlds, if you get what I mean. All of the characters have issues and the power is what will fix those issues and make their own world ideal, and exactly how they want it to be, the lives they want to have. It's not some magical power or something for the greater good of all of the world, it's an individual 'revolution'.

Now that leaves a lot of loose ends with Akio, who started the whole thing together with Anthy to begin with, as he himself, seeming to have lived for centuries and truly possessing magical or incomprehensible powers to an extent, really seems to have a higher purpose than just revolutionising his own life. Though I think maybe you can get around that too. At the end of the Black Rose arc, when Tokiko visits Akio after all those years, he tells her that at Ohtori Academy children never grow up and Tokiko herself notices that time itself is odd in the Academy. Meaning that Akio, even though he was Dios and a prince once and helped all of the girls of the world, has a limited domain over which he reigns, it doesn't include the whole world. So, even if he wants the power to revolutionise the world, it's still his own little corner of the world really... I mean, Utena, Ruka and Mikage are the three graduates of the Ohtori Academy, people who leave the place, and like Anthy says at the end regarding Utena's fate, that she isn't dead, she simply has left Akio's world. So yeah, his power doesn't extend to the whole world.

Uhh anyways, I think I got carried away and didn't really articulate myself well, but anyways that's just what I think and it can't be confirmed nor denied, with this being a series that is left to the viewer's interpretation and with Kunihiko Ikuhara himself never answering anything regarding the series, makes it pretty clear that he wants fans to come to their own conclusions and not present a single correct answer.

It's been a while and since my first post so I've rewatched the show, and I fully agree with your first paragraph but the second was iffy to me.

The way I saw it was the fairy tale prince story was the result of Akio manipulating young minds, the fairy tale is how the various students view the world. In reality, Akio was a genuinely good person but (likely due to his parents as we never see them) was left alone in the world with Anthy and grew up jaded. He's too afraid to be abandoned again, so he manipulates people around him so they can't leave.

Akio manipulates key people in Ohtori to create a world of rumours and rigid social hierarchies. This is also the reason that time feels different in Ohtori, everyone is obsessed with naive dreams of being seen as the best, irrelevant people are quickly forgotten, new student turnover makes these stories fade very quickly, and just being a teenager makes time feel bizarre and 'not quite right.' The older characters likely feel this way just from living in Akio's fairy tale world for so long. Notice how any older characters in the show seemed more mature, but ended up being immature and clinging to youth.

Finally, the power to revolutionise the world is to achieve the dreams of childhood. Specifically for Ohtori, it's to achieve the dreams of childhood while simultaneously rejecting those dreams. Everyone is willing to step over everyone else to become the respected perfect image of themselves, and the height of this is the student council's duels. Sneaking out of school for scheduled fights to pursue the top position. Akio's dream of being seen as a golden prince will be attained through deceitful actions rather than noble ones.

Soooo yeah I guess you just need to rewatch the show a whole bunch.

- Akane Tsunemori