Forum Settings
Forums

I find it difficult to remember what I read in manga. Anyone else?

Feb 4, 6:01 PM
Despite how much I love stuff like say JoJo or Mob Psycho for the life of me I can't remember what I read and rereads sometimes feel like I'm reading it for the first time but I have plot beats spoiled. Both of these have anime adaptations and it's a similar case where I feel like I'm watching it blind. It might have something to do with how I read both series on bato.to when that was up (god I hated reading on that because the pages would be so big I'd have to scroll down to read a page) and how it killed the pacing of some series.

Feb 5, 11:14 AM
</overrated>

I think it's because we retain certain key information and depending on your memory or what peaks your interest. Personally I do love rereading cause when I'm doing weekly reads I kinda do a quick run through and then try to consume the whole arc to get the whole story to piece it in with the greater narrative. I wish I had more time to do full scale reads of my favorites but it's so time costly.

Feb 5, 11:26 AM

reading weekly does that a bit to me, as my memory is kinda bad. Usually, I can go back to a show or series in a few years and enjoy it like I did the first time. When I read a series that isn't done, I reread the whole thing when it finishes.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Feb 5, 1:34 PM
Ponds667 said:
reading weekly does that a bit to me, as my memory is kinda bad. Usually, I can go back to a show or series in a few years and enjoy it like I did the first time. When I read a series that isn't done, I reread the whole thing when it finishes.
If you think it's bad with weekly releases try monthly releases. But at least I'm not one of the people caught up on Berserk or Hunter X Hunter.

Feb 5, 1:37 PM

Bluekirby2 said:
Ponds667 said:
If you think it's bad with weekly releases try monthly releases. But at least I'm not one of the people caught up on Berserk or Hunter X Hunter.

I know that pain, I read monthlies too like Noragami. I find it easier to remember those though, maybe the longer chapters give me something more concrete to hold on to.

Feb 5, 2:21 PM
Ponds667 said:
Bluekirby2 said:

I know that pain, I read monthlies too like Noragami. I find it easier to remember those though, maybe the longer chapters give me something more concrete to hold on to.

Noragami and Black lagoon are kinda the worst manga to remember correctly both are on hiatus constantly for a longer period and I really need to focus a lot to remember how that last chapter a few years ago went. Or just read it again. x)

Feb 5, 2:23 PM

I feel you, I read/started about 30+ isekai manga to the lastest chapters and can only remember the story completly of like 5, for the others i have to read then newest chapter to understand what happened, I can keep atleast most of the romance/drama manga I read in my head. Could also be the case because most of the isekai are just copy paste with other looking characters.

Feb 5, 2:32 PM

Kelraz said:
Ponds667 said:

Noragami and Black lagoon are kinda the worst manga to remember correctly both are on hiatus constantly for a longer period and I really need to focus a lot to remember how that last chapter a few years ago went. Or just read it again. x)

lmao i'm reading black lagoon on and off too, yet to catch up though. I only recently got into both series so I haven't had the problem with hiatuses yet. sometimes for things like that I'll reread the previous chapter before reading the new release.

Feb 7, 9:41 PM

It happens to me often. I think it's just the way i consume manga. I'll binge a whole series then move on to the next immediately after instead of letting what I read sink into my mind and process my overall thoughts on a series. I can't remember character names for shit too.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Feb 7, 9:49 PM
It happens also becoz some of the characters are drawn too similarly between two different mangas. But i always refer to the manga wiki to recollect the faces and the names. That's the good thing of reading mangas in this decade.

Feb 8, 1:22 AM

Well, it's been around 10 years since I started reading manga, so yeah, there's a lot of manga that I barely remember anything besides the overall idea.
That's why I like MAL, it lets me not only catalog all of the manga I read but the rating also lets me know how I felt about a manga back then. Though I often turn 10s into 9s if I don't recall the manga all that well, like I recently did with Gantz.
It's pretty often that I tell someone "Well, I don't remember much from this manga, but I remember liking it/not liking it".

It's also why I sometimes like doing reviews, I seem to recall much better the manga I reviewed than the ones I did not.
For example, I still remember more or less the plot of Lolicon Saga, even though that's just a very mediocre manga that I reviewed just because there was no review in the page.

Feb 8, 6:39 AM

Honestly, I don't really have this problem. I think I've just got an absurdly good memory, because I can generally remember at least bits and pieces and my general feelings on probably just about every manga I've finished, and am still working on.

Feb 8, 9:40 AM

Dysisa said:
Honestly, I don't really have this problem. I think I've just got an absurdly good memory, because I can generally remember at least bits and pieces and my general feelings on probably just about every manga I've finished, and am still working on.

I usually remember my enjoyment of a particular manga and key aspects distinctly (arcs, paneling, artwork, etc) but I have issue remembering names, how chapters usually go down (I usually remember the gist of what happens in arcs not self contained chapters). I have a folder were I save images of distinct panels that popped out of the pages for me. I usually go back to those for reference when I talk about a certain series with people. But yeah, I have shit memory in general. I can't even recount how I got up today...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Feb 8, 9:42 AM

With manga and anime, I don't have this problem, but with music, it's more complicated, because I don't remember more than half of what I listened.

Feb 8, 12:39 PM

Bluekirby2 said:
I can't remember what I read and rereads sometimes feel like I'm reading it for the first time but I have plot beats spoiled. Both of these have anime adaptations and it's a similar case where I feel like I'm watching it blind. It might have something to do with how I read both series on bato.to

Try reading real books. Holding it, turning the page and moving your eyes over a non-zoomed page wmight make an actual active reader of you. (saying this, but I know people who aren't active readers even when they have an actual book in the hands)

The thing is simple, you won't memorize things if you're not "actively" at the task. Same thing as if it was a lesson.

Feb 8, 1:12 PM

Hmm, I think it comes down to your emotions, you will always remember something that gave you big impact, if you can't remember anything it must be because nothing feels memorable for you (?)

Feb 8, 2:07 PM
2ego said:
Hmm, I think it comes down to your emotions, you will always remember something that gave you big impact, if you can't remember anything it must be because nothing feels memorable for you (?)
I've had moments where I cried at a manga I was reading and I still might not remember it

Feb 9, 8:06 AM

I find it really hard as well. It's especially hard for things that come out monthly or if I had to put something on hold for like a year because chapters aren't coming out. There's also the case where the chapters are so short that I keep forgetting literally everything that has happened. Like in Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko!, I read 300 chapters then after 4 months. I literally forgot everything except that I enjoyed it. So I reread it again. Same result, I forgot it again. L fucking MAO

Don't really have problems with lengthier manga or manga I read in one go

Feb 17, 3:30 AM

I was going to reply but I already forgot what OP was talking about.

But actually I don't experience this problem at all. It's not like I could recount every plot beat by heart, but I definitely will recognise stuff I've seen before.

Feb 18, 4:43 AM

Whether it's a manga, light novel, etc., I'll recall the overall plotline, even if I step away for a bit, but certain things showing up only once or twice and then suddenly showing up again to become important, like minor characters, is where while reading I'll think to myself, "Who's this guy?"

Feb 21, 1:53 PM
a car

I feel the same way on varying levels. Nanatsu no Taizai and Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio are among some of the biggest examples for me. They're both perfectly good, but I really forget a lot of plot points in them.

But generally, I do tend to forget a lot of small details no matter how much I enjoy something.

Feb 24, 6:28 PM
I'm reading so much shit, that they are starting to blend together, especially the isekai crap, which i will admit is my guilty pleasure, but goddam are the plots as basic as your sister

Feb 27, 9:18 AM

nope, have exactly the same kind of issue whenever i read one piece ahead of where the anime is. thought i was the only one with this kinda issue so it's nice to hear that others have something similar lol. also just started reading rurouni kenshin recently and am having to take it slow to take in all of the information but maybe this is because it's the first manga i'm actually reading from the start and not where an adaptation i've watched left off. although, it's 100x easier when reading it on actual paper and not online on a screen.
Modified by Cuxp, Feb 27, 9:23 AM

Feb 27, 9:21 AM

That only happens to me if at least 2 years have passed otherwise I would remember most of everything. I wish I could be able to do that, having the ability to forget amazing manga so you could experience all the greatness again.

Feb 27, 12:02 PM

i feel like i only retain my memory of a manga if i feel like i've connected to the story or characters in some shape or form.
most of the time, i speed-read and binge stuff in one go so i think it's easier for me to remember things compared to people
who read multiple manga at the same time. but i'll reread something if it's been like five+ years since i've last read it though.

Grouper - Invisible

0:00 ●━━━━━━─────── 3:55

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ◁ㅤㅤ❚❚ㅤㅤ▷ㅤㅤㅤㅤ↻

→ ✉ 『 deliveries 』 ✉ ←