Forum Settings
Forums

Need an anime to make a kid I know into a proper weeb

New
Feb 4, 2019 10:51 AM

Oct 2014
Alright folks, so here's the story. I work in school and there's a kid that I know (early teen) who when I accidentally mentioned anime to went bonkers and mentioned about 3-4 anime that he watched, in total. He watched some mediocre random anime in DUB. Of, course, I had this 'oh crap I need to help this poor boy' moment and IMMEDIATELY took it upon myself to bring him back on the right track.

I took me a while before I recommended something to him that would NOT get me fired as a result and that he will most certainly enjoy. So, he watched SAO in SUB. Loved it. Great. However he finished it pretty quickly, and now I need to suggest him another anime. Before you go off rails about SAO, and please don't because I won't bother replying, I need to recommend him an anime to watch and enjoy, obviously.
I already HAVE some in mind, so I'm making a poll. This does not guarantee me picking any of the anime I'm about to mention in it, so you can freely suggest me something else. Do not fucking suggest me any hardcore ecchi or gore, etc. It has to be PG-13. Now, I already found 4 PG-13, so please do vote for the one you think it's most likely to be enjoyed. I also thought about AoT and DN but I'll wait a year, I still believe it's too early.
EDIT: I'm looking for shorter anime, so one season, 12-13 eps, that sorf of thing.

Here's what's on my mind about those four anime:

Angel beats - has weak first ep imo, he may drop it. Otherwise great pack of action, comedy and drama 2/3
Kimi no Na wa - he may get bored by half of it. Super beautiful and intense second half, best rated by far 2/3
Devil is a Part-Timer - anime he watched were the same type, notn' new. safe bet and it's catering to him 2/3
Maid-sama - he might find it too girly. no objectionable content, super enjoyable, vibrant, cheerful, etc 2/3
BebelmanFeb 4, 2019 2:58 PM
Feb 4, 2019 11:36 AM

Oct 2017
Give this kid Log Horizon when he is hooked to "isekai", then I think you should suggest him to watch Yahari ore no Seishun... or Bunny Girl Senpai. Also! Please remember about series like:

Free
Diamond no Ace
Yowamushi Pedal
All Out!
Captain Tsubasa

Watching sport anime will never hurt a kid. But from those here let him watch Devil is a Part-Timer.

Btw. Violet Evergarden should be also a good pick.
The Young Noble of the Field is currently watching - Diamond no Ace: Act II
Misugi-kun is also reading - Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Feb 4, 2019 11:44 AM

Oct 2014
junmisugi said:
Give this kid Log Horizon when he is hooked to "isekai", then I think you should suggest him to watch Yahari ore no Seishun... or Bunny Girl Senpai. Also! Please remember about series like:

Free
Diamond no Ace
Yowamushi Pedal
All Out!
Captain Tsubasa

Watching sport anime will never hurt a kid. But from those here let him watch Devil is a Part-Timer.

Btw. Violet Evergarden should be also a good pick.

He just watched SAO. I'll suggest him Log Horizon a bit later. I agree it's a good choice, but I want variety atm. Violet will be too boring for him, imho. Flashly lights, explosions, cheap laughs or mild, vanilla ecchi such as 'Devil' is what I'm looking for atm.
Feb 4, 2019 11:48 AM

Jul 2013
If i had to recommend anime to a kid i would go for the following:

Boku no Hero Academia
One Punch Man
Overlord (Great isekai with multiple seasons)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

And some sports anime just to add on top of those mentioned

Kuroko no Basket
Haikyuu
Feb 4, 2019 11:50 AM

Oct 2014
Spitfiire said:
If i had to recommend anime to a kid i would go for the following:

Boku no Hero Academia
One Punch Man
Overlord (Great isekai with multiple seasons)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

And some sports anime just to add on top of those mentioned

Kuroko no Basket
Haikyuu

Crap, I forgot to mention. I'm looking for shorter anime, so one season, 12-13 eps, that sorf of thing. Already had MHA in mind, but wanted a short one.
Feb 4, 2019 11:52 AM

Sep 2018
Please watch one punch man or Jojo bizarre adventures. Maybe death note, that one's pretty good.
Feb 4, 2019 11:53 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Konosuba, Tensei shitara slime datta ken, Tate no Yuusha, go with isekai to attract him, then a few shounen, then it should do the job.

Edit : What's happening people recommending Jojo Bizarre Adventures, One Punch Man worth it I second ! But Maid-sama wtf he's a young lad

Feb 4, 2019 11:57 AM

Oct 2014
ThatBrokeDude said:
Please watch one punch man or Jojo bizarre adventures. Maybe death note, that one's pretty good.

Appreciate the response, but mate, Jojo to an anime novice and a kid? Mentioned I will postpone DN for now for another year in the post.
Feb 4, 2019 11:59 AM

Oct 2014
Lolsebca said:
Konosuba, Tensei shitara slime datta ken, Tate no Yuusha, go with isekai to attract him, then a few shounen, then it should do the job.

Edit : What's happening people recommending Jojo Bizarre Adventures, One Punch Man worth it I second ! But Maid-sama wtf he's a young lad

Nice, perhaps also some non-isekai, non-shounen? Maid-sama - exactly because he's a kid, probably most vanilla romance shit ever lol
Feb 4, 2019 12:18 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
@NiBer Nah, add some Accel World, and maybe overall, shounen and isekai with romance, then at some point when you make him watch Absolute Duo and Blade Dance, perhaps some Chuunibyou ?

I mean, isekai -> shounen -> school life/shounen (with some sports like Kuruke no Basket) -> romance (Oregairu <3, but Chuunibyou) ?

Feb 4, 2019 2:49 PM

Jul 2013
Sorry for bailing, hmm.

If you want a similar vanilla romance go for Special A, its quite similar to maid-sama but i do think it has more than 12-13 episodes also Kamisama Hajimemashita, same vanilla romance lol, has 2 seasons tho.
I dont know if Tasogare Otome x Amnesia would be suitable, it has a "Horror" tag but imo its not scary at all (maybe im old...) its 12-13 episodes i think.
I think Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and Sukitte Ii na yo are good also good, maybe more suitable for him.
Still stand for One Punch Man
Mob Psycho maybe?
Hamatora The Animation is solid too, has two seasons but he can go for only the 1st since the second is meh imo.
Space Dandy crossed my mind.
I am just throwing everything out there, hope something is usable here.

I am out hehe (:<
Feb 4, 2019 2:53 PM
Apr 2016
"Angel beats - has weak first ep imo, he may drop it. Otherwise great pack of action, comedy and drama 2/3
Kimi no Na wa - he may get bored by half of it. Super beautiful and intense second half, best rated by far 2/3
Devil is a Part-Timer - anime he watched were the same type, notn' new. safe bet and it's catering to him 2/3
Maid-sama - he might find it too girly. no objectionable content, super enjoyable, vibrant, cheerful, etc 2/3"

Aah, I think you're overthinking this, just like you I kept coming up with these ideas that my recommendations will feel flawed & disliked for literally the most trivial reasons, yet when the person actually watched the recommendations he/she completely loved them. I think you should just go with these recommendations.
Feb 4, 2019 2:57 PM

Oct 2014
2ego said:
"Angel beats - has weak first ep imo, he may drop it. Otherwise great pack of action, comedy and drama 2/3
Maid-sama - he might find it too girly. no objectionable content, super enjoyable, vibrant, cheerful, etc 2/3"

Aah, I think you're overthinking this, just like you I kept coming up with these ideas that my recommendations will feel flawed & disliked for literally the most trivial reasons, yet when the person actually watched the recommendations he/she completely loved them. I think you should just go with these recommendations.

Thanks for encouragement man, I appreciate it :)
Interesting profile I must say...
Feb 4, 2019 3:15 PM

Dec 2015
school days

because its the best
TIME TO END PARTITION WITH A BANG. I AM ONCE AGAIN ASKING FOR YOUR FINACIAL SUPPROT https://www.sinnfeinbookshop.com/jewellery-1/
Feb 4, 2019 8:39 PM
Apr 2016
For someone who is only getting started, i'd say some of the following:

1. an action adventure - like noragami for example. that's a good starter anime that's probably not gonna get you fired. ao no exorcist and owari no seraph might also make up a good beginner's pack too.

2. something shonen like one punch man or soul eater, that are shorter than other shonens and also PG-13.

3. a sports anime that is easy to follow, like haikyuu or kuroko no basket (i wouldn't bring in the likes of one outs and ping pong the animation just yet)

Personally, whenever I recommend anime to first-timers, I start with Death Note - since it captures what "anime" is and isn't long-running like most other "beginner" anime, but I understand why you want to postpone it, it's pretty dark.

As for tame romance, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha might be it, since they barely even hold hands, but there's those demons and demon slayers you mentioned. My little monster is also a cute romance with only one kiss i think (like in maid-sama). But it might suit him better since it's more gender-neutral than maid-sama that's clearly tailored for girls.
WeebSarahFeb 4, 2019 8:51 PM
Feb 5, 2019 10:48 AM

Oct 2014
WeebSarah said:

1. an action adventure - like noragami for example. that's a good starter anime that's probably not gonna get you fired. ao no exorcist and owari no seraph might also make up a good beginner's pack too.

2. something shonen like one punch man or soul eater, that are shorter than other shonens and also PG-13.

3. a sports anime that is easy to follow, like haikyuu or kuroko no basket (i wouldn't bring in the likes of one outs and ping pong the animation just yet)

Personally, whenever I recommend anime to first-timers, I start with Death Note - since it captures what "anime" is and isn't long-running like most other "beginner" anime, but I understand why you want to postpone it, it's pretty dark.

As for tame romance, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha might be it, since they barely even hold hands, but there's those demons and demon slayers you mentioned. My little monster is also a cute romance with only one kiss i think (like in maid-sama). But it might suit him better since it's more gender-neutral than maid-sama that's clearly tailored for girls.

I agree, I'd also start either with DN or AoT if it was someone older or an adult. I'd say My Little Monster and Maid-sama are the same thing, just with Maid-sama being better and more easily followed, I showed Maid-sama to multiple friends that were guys and enjoyed it, I personally have MLM rated somewhat lower. Thank you for your response, ma'am.
Feb 5, 2019 12:34 PM
Apr 2016
NiBer said:
WeebSarah said:

I agree, I'd also start either with DN or AoT if it was someone older or an adult. I'd say My Little Monster and Maid-sama are the same thing, just with Maid-sama being better and more easily followed, I showed Maid-sama to multiple friends that were guys and enjoyed it, I personally have MLM rated somewhat lower. Thank you for your response, ma'am.

Nema problema, širenje anime kulture po regionu je pravo zadovoljstvo!
Feb 5, 2019 1:21 PM

Oct 2014
WeebSarah said:

Nema problema, širenje anime kulture po regionu je pravo zadovoljstvo!

Hahah, uvijek je lijepo upoznati kulturnu mladu damu sa istim interesima ;)
Feb 6, 2019 10:40 AM

Oct 2014
bump. anymore suggestions, anyone?
Feb 6, 2019 10:47 AM
Feb 2019
NiBer said:
bump. anymore suggestions, anyone?

Nope, you are weeb enough, we don't need more.
Feb 6, 2019 11:12 AM

Oct 2014
ananizkim said:

Nope, you are weeb enough, we don't need more.

Did you just make your acc so you can say that? 4/10 not even entertained. Wish you said something useful instead and recommended me something.
Feb 6, 2019 11:13 AM
Feb 2014
Disregarding length since you are really limiting choices if you do, i'd say go with any of these:

Ao no Exorcist
D.Gray-man(not the sequel D.Gray-man Hallow though, as that one has gore)
Digimon Adventure + Digimon Adventure 02 + Digimon Tamers(Why not? Good beginner anime no matter the age)
Fruits Basket
Karneval
Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu
Kobato
Lovely★Complex
Naruto(Yes, really)
Noragami
Rockman.EXE
Shaman King
Tegamibachi
Yu☆Gi☆Oh! Duel Monsters + Yu☆Gi☆Oh!: Duel Monsters GX
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Feb 6, 2019 11:14 AM

Oct 2014
Dauphine said:
None of the poll choices since i only saw two(Angel Beats and Maid-sama) and consider them both trash, disregarding lenght since you are really limiting choices if you do, i'd say go with any of these:

Ao no Exorcist
D.Gray-man(not the sequel D.Gray-man Hallow though, as that one has gore)
Digimon Adventure + Digimon Adventure 02 + Digimon Tamers(Why not? Great anime no matter the age)
Fruits Basket
Karneval
Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu
Kobato
Lovely★Complex
Naruto(Yes, really)
Noragami
Rockman.EXE
Shaman King
Tegamibachi
Yu☆Gi☆Oh! Duel Monsters + Yu☆Gi☆Oh!: Duel Monsters GX

Out of those which one would be your first go-to choice? Go with your intuition.
Feb 6, 2019 11:18 AM
Feb 2014
Hmmm....not sure since i might be biased, but some of the first anime i watched where D.Gray-man, Katekyo Hitman Reborn and Naruto, i guess maybe D.gray-man since it's shorter and doesn't have a slow start like Reborn! Or Naruto since it's easy to get into, but there's sooo many fillers there...
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Feb 6, 2019 11:20 AM

Oct 2014
Dauphine said:
Hmmm....not sure since i might be biased, but some of the first anime i watched where D.Gray-man, Katekyo Hitman Reborn and Naruto, i guess maybe D.gray-man since it's shorter and doesn't have a slow start like Reborn! Or Naruto since it's easy to get into, but there's sooo many fillers there...

So... D.gray man?
Feb 6, 2019 11:28 AM
Feb 2014
Yes, go with D.Gray-man(the 2006 version).

Feb 6, 2019 11:42 AM

Nov 2018
Just go with some shonen anime. It's the perfect genre for him and mostly nakama power and stuff.
Feb 6, 2019 12:09 PM
Jan 2019
If you insist on a 12 episode anime I'd say Hataraku, One Punch Man, maybe Gate or Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry if you push it, but otherwise just go with FMA or Ansatsu Kyoshitsu he'll love it.

Special mention to Bento if you want to show him something a bit on the WTF side.
Feb 6, 2019 1:09 PM

Jul 2013
Greetings, I would definitely recommend to this young lad the following:

full metal panic
The mightiest disciple kenichi
Hajime no ippo
fate/stay night
Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan
From the New World (this one is on the borderline tbh)
Desert punk (is pretty funny although I would check it out first to see)
Shakugan no Shana
zero no tsukaima
My Bride is a Mermaid
soul eater
The Irregular at Magic High School
Robotics;Notes

If you need more just skim my list:
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Covenant?status=2&order=4&order2=0
Feb 6, 2019 1:52 PM

Oct 2014
Covenant said:
Greetings, I would definitely recommend to this young lad the following:

full metal panic
The mightiest disciple kenichi
Hajime no ippo
fate/stay night
Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan
From the New World (this one is on the borderline tbh)
Desert punk (is pretty funny although I would check it out first to see)
Shakugan no Shana
zero no tsukaima
My Bride is a Mermaid
soul eater
The Irregular at Magic High School
Robotics;Notes

If you need more just skim my list:
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Covenant?status=2&order=4&order2=0

Thanks for your recommendations. Which one of these would you advise the most?
Feb 6, 2019 2:15 PM

Jul 2013
I would recommend kenichi its easy to get into, has plenty of action, and is pretty funny
Feb 6, 2019 2:26 PM

Sep 2016
Saiki Kusou no Psi Nan is a good show that I'd recommend. He might like The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys or Seven Deadly Sins.

Life has no meaning,
but that doesn't mean
we shouldn't live it

Feb 10, 2019 7:25 AM

Oct 2014
TuryuriOwO said:
Saiki Kusou no Psi Nan is a good show that I'd recommend. He might like The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys or Seven Deadly Sins.

Not sure seems a bit niche and risky.
Feb 10, 2019 7:28 AM

Oct 2014
Covenant said:
I would recommend kenichi its easy to get into, has plenty of action, and is pretty funny

Looks fun, haven't watched it. It's a bit old.
Feb 10, 2019 2:26 PM

Nov 2015
How about something like Charlotte?

Simple, short plot, that should appeal to a teenager audience.

If he seems really keen about anime, I'd recommend not showing him all the top tier animes straight away.
Make sure to balance it out so that he'll still have good shows to progress onto later.

Having said that, a lot of people are suggesting One Punch Man, which isn't a bad idea either.

A few people are saying to watch Noragami, now while I do think it is a really good show, I would postpone showing that to someone until they were more familiar with Japanese culture.
Feb 10, 2019 2:40 PM

Apr 2015
Toradora would be a great vanilla/first romance show.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 10, 2019 3:04 PM

Oct 2014
Tealjow said:

Simple, short plot, that should appeal to a teenager audience.

If he seems really keen about anime, I'd recommend not showing him all the top tier animes straight away.
Make sure to balance it out so that he'll still have good shows to progress onto later.

Having said that, a lot of people are suggesting One Punch Man, which isn't a bad idea either.

A few people are saying to watch Noragami, now while I do think it is a really good show, I would postpone showing that to someone until they were more familiar with Japanese culture.

I did think about Charlotte. I don't recollect whether there are any objectionable scenes, I watched it quite a while ago.
Feb 10, 2019 3:49 PM

Nov 2015
NiBer said:
Tealjow said:

I did think about Charlotte. I don't recollect whether there are any objectionable scenes, I watched it quite a while ago.

Think I watched it about a year ago so my memory won't be perfect.
I don't recall there being anything I wouldn't want to show a young teenager.
It's rated pg-13, I'd like to think it's suitable.

Moments I can remember from the anime that might be worth considering?

All that being said, it is an unrealistic anime and none of that can be mimicked in real life.
But at the end of the day you are a teacher; if in doubt don't suggest it.
Feb 10, 2019 5:02 PM

Oct 2014
Tealjow said:

Think I watched it about a year ago so my memory won't be perfect.
I don't recall there being anything I wouldn't want to show a young teenager.
It's rated pg-13, I'd like to think it's suitable.

Moments I can remember from the anime that might be worth considering?

All that being said, it is an unrealistic anime and none of that can be mimicked in real life.
But at the end of the day you are a teacher; if in doubt don't suggest it.

Not a teacher, just an assistant. Just worried about extreme fanservice primarily, don't recall any gore.
Feb 10, 2019 5:13 PM
Mar 2016
Angel Beats over Charlotte. Both are totally Peggy-0.

Furthermore there's this Anime about family, which represents pretty much every weeb thing out there. Maybe you've heard of it, it's called "kiss x sis" and it's very heartwarming.

Well, on a more serious note:
I would love to be able to say Cross Ange, since it is so intense and involves so incredibly much different content and genres. But I doubt that the close-to-borderline-h-yuri-stuff is appropriate for kids (well at least I assume that's what others think).

What about Kobayashi-San? Or erm... Akatsuki no Yona?
Feb 10, 2019 6:05 PM

Nov 2015
NiBer said:

Not a teacher, just an assistant. Just worried about extreme fanservice primarily, don't recall any gore.

No fanservice, gore is minimal.

@Overfoxed
I wouldn't be surprised if NiBer recommends Angel Beats + a few others. Was only trying to throw something extra into the mix.
Feb 10, 2019 6:52 PM

Oct 2014
Tealjow said:

No fanservice, gore is minimal.

@Overfoxed
I wouldn't be surprised if NiBer recommends Angel Beats + a few others. Was only trying to throw something extra into the mix.

I only recommend one anime at a time. So, most likely Devil is a Part Timer, then Angel Beats, and perhaps Charlotte next, though they're a bit similar, but what this really does is it helps me build a list towards making him in my manipulative eyes an anime watcher with a more enjoyable time, at least for the first 5-15 anime (avoiding bad and suggesting good anime) :D

More topics from this board

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Yesterday

1 by Zarutaku »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Yesterday

6 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

71 by rikkaheh »»
6 hours ago

» Watched one episode but forgot the name

Snailsoup - 10 hours ago

2 by Snailsoup »»
10 hours ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Apr 23

8 by Wakarimas-en »»
Yesterday, 5:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.