Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 1, 2019 5:52 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Denpa-teki na Kanojo
Delinquent Juu Juuzawa is a lone wolf who does not see much use in befriending people. So when a girl named Ame Ochibana claims they are linked together from their previous lives, he is highly skeptical and doesn't want anything to do with her. Even stranger is that her fondest wish is to be his servant. Thinking that Ame must be delusional, he tries to distance himself from her. But when a classmate is murdered, Juu instead decides to keep her close, believing the strange girl to be the culprit. However, her intelligence and skill begin to prove invaluable as the two begin working together to solve the murder.

Denpa-teki na Kanojo weaves together a story of love, loss, and devotion, showing that allies can be found in the most unlikely of places.

Episode 1:

Episode 2:

Suggest a Hidden Gem for next month.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 2, 2019 7:31 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I remember watching this a few years ago. Honestly, I don't remember much about it. I scored it a 6 so for me that means it had potential but it wastes that potential.
Feb 11, 2019 11:19 PM

Apr 2013
This OVA adapts 2 of the three light novels that were written for this series. So it doesn't really have an ending - though, judging from the pace of it, it seems like the light novel was cancelled or the author lost interest anyway.

It's nicely animated, and the first episode can be viewed as the entire story the author wanted to tell. Episode 2 is just another standalone mystery that doesn't really fit with the original theme of the story.

It makes some good points about morals, responsibility, and all that, but nothing revolutionary.

Oh, and it's plenty violent. Denpa-teki na Kanojo strikes me as a series with a lot of potential, were the characters and their interactions written better. I'm kinda satisfied with what I got, but I think episode 2 is a big mess, and I wish it wasn't so pointlessly dark. Which is a weird thing to say, I know, because the entire point of Denpa-teki na Kanojo is that it centers around nutjob girls doing nutjob things. But it feels so often like the writer just throws in a murder purely for shock value.

A lot of things are foreshadowed and hinted at but never explained because the OVA only lasts two episodes, and the LN only lasts 3 volumes.

Episode 2 is painfully slow and boring, while also being incomprehensible at times. Episode 1 is also slowgoing, but it at least makes sense, has a resolution, and is generally alright.

I think I may have originally recommended this series. I think it's a decent watch, if you're not looking for something overly deep. It has some decent gore, if that's what you're looking for. The characters are okay. The main heroine is the best it has to offer. The protagonist is kind of an airhead, and she's kind of nutty, but she's good fun.

Oh, and there's some sort of chuunibyou angle in this, because why not?

I'm starting to think the original author just threw in whatever trending elements he thought a popular series needed in order to make money...

Have to admit, it pretty much worked for me.

Almost forgot to mention this OVA ends on a massive cliffhanger that is never resolved, because there was never a sequel, and the LN is down for the count. It probably has some sort of continuation in the third volume, but unless you know Japanese or are willing to brave MTL, you're never gonna find out what happens.

This is the kind of series that's short, kinda neat, and that you can forget about a month later.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Anime - April 2024

Brand - Apr 21

0 by Brand »»
Apr 21, 4:44 PM

Sticky: » Suggest a Hidden Gem of Anime of the Month! ( 1 2 3 )

Brand - May 2, 2017

113 by saaim_ »»
Apr 4, 12:16 AM

» April 2024 - Skull Man

Brand - Apr 3

0 by Brand »»
Apr 3, 5:55 PM

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Anime - April 2024

Brand - Mar 17

0 by Brand »»
Mar 17, 7:17 AM

» March 2024 - Eat-Man (1997)

Brand - Mar 2

0 by Brand »»
Mar 2, 1:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.