Forum Settings
Forums

Anime characters which you didn't like in the beginning, but started liking them later.

New
Feb 1, 2019 8:14 AM
Aug 2016
For me, it's definitely Uchiha Itachi (Naruto Franchise), Jean Kirstein (AOT), Meruem (HxH), Takasugi Shinsuke (Gintama) and Todoroki Shouto (BnHA). What about you?
Feb 1, 2019 8:18 AM
Nov 2018
For me todoroki, sakura, sasuke, naruto, itachi, madara, edward. All of them were good characters but i didn't liked them until after a lot of episodes.
Feb 1, 2019 8:26 AM

May 2017
I remember that I didn't like Levi Ackerman(Shingeki no Kyojin) in the beginning.
I thought he was a lazy guy, who fears nothing and was only strong cuz the author wanted to.
Like every shounen, but guess what... I was wrong.

"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

Feb 1, 2019 8:37 AM

Jan 2016
At first,I didn't like Akemi Homura from Madoka Magica. Now she is one of my favorite characters.
Feb 1, 2019 8:52 AM

Jun 2015
Ami from Toradora. During my first watch through I thought she was the worst of the 3 main girls. It was only kinda recently, after many re-watches, that she's my favorite.
Royal7KnightFeb 1, 2019 8:56 AM
Feb 1, 2019 8:57 AM

Jan 2014
For me it was Kaiki from Monogatari.
I didn't like him when i watched the 1st series(Bakemonogatari) but as i watched more seasons of it he got onto my favourites list, i like his character a lot now and i think he's one of the best characters.
AstZeroFeb 1, 2019 9:00 AM
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Feb 1, 2019 9:09 AM

Feb 2017
Makshima Shogo from Psycho Pass
Kikuchiyo from Samurai 7
Kawashima Ami from Toradora
Yonomori Kobeni from Engaged to the Unidentified
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Feb 1, 2019 9:12 AM

Aug 2018
Ferris from DenYuDen and Victlrique from Gosick. They had some pretty redeeming moments and they kept getting better.
Feb 1, 2019 9:12 AM

Jul 2017
Bakugo is the only character I can think of

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Feb 1, 2019 9:15 AM
Jul 2018
Accelerator, he's one of the main reasons why I'm able to continue watching Index lol

Also Meruem; he seemed like a bit of a dick when he was first born, but gets better and better as the Chimera Ant Arc progresses.
Feb 1, 2019 9:16 AM

Oct 2017
Mugino from ToAru Majutsu
Mustang Roy from Full metal
Yuta and Akane from SSSS.Gridman
They start uninteresting and bland but as the anime progress they get more character.

Feb 1, 2019 9:21 AM

Apr 2017
Kaiki. I didn't like him at all in the beginning, he was introduced as villain, after all, and I didn't really agree with what he was doing. But eventually, as his character was explored more, I started to love his character, and now he is among my all time favorite anime characters.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Feb 1, 2019 9:31 AM

Jun 2012
Veldora_Tempest said:
Meruem; he seemed like a bit of a dick when he was first born....

How dare you call Meruem a bit of a dick! All he did was kill innocent children and ate their brains. Smh, people judge others based on such trivial things nowadays.

On a serious note, that was a pretty funny understatement. Great character nonetheless.
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Feb 1, 2019 9:32 AM

Mar 2018
There are many but the latest on would be Bakugou.
Right now he's my favorite character in the show and also one of the reasons why I haven't dropped my hero academia yet.
Feb 1, 2019 9:35 AM
Jul 2018
Malevolent-Fae said:
Veldora_Tempest said:
Meruem; he seemed like a bit of a dick when he was first born....

How dare you call Meruem a bit of a dick! All he did was kill innocent children and ate their brains. Smh, people judge others based on such trivial things nowadays.

To be completely honest I forgot all about that, I was simply talking about how he killed the Queen Ant (his mum); screw the humans, Ant-kind matters more xD
Feb 1, 2019 9:37 AM

Dec 2015
reigen arataka and akemi homura are the first ones to come into mind
Feb 1, 2019 9:43 AM

Aug 2018
halcyon- said:
Bakugo is the only character I can think of

my man right here. orochimaru i liked as a character from the start, akainu is dislike as a person but liked as a character from the start. bakugo i disliked as a character, heres another bully char that will be owned or saved by the mc and regret his past actions or some other common trope bs. instead we have my fav character in MHA and one of my all time favs in anime. well done to the author
Feb 1, 2019 10:15 AM

Nov 2007
There are quite a few. Just from top of my head:

Isaburou from Gintama.
Nino from Gotoubun no Hanayome.
Yuuko from Hibike Euphonium.
Kaiki from Monogatari Series.
Homura from Madoka Magica.
Lelouch from Code Geass.
Taiga from Toradora.
Yui from K-ON.
Iroha from Oregairu Zoku.
Kagura from InuYasha.
Minami from Baka to Test.
Rem from Re:Zero.
Nene from Yamada-kun.
Kurumi from Date A Live.
Matsunaga from Nijiiro Days.

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 1, 2019 10:49 AM

Apr 2018
I would say Gin from Bleach. He was a very nerve-wracking character when they first introduced him, but then you find out why that for centuries he was someone's pet because that one guy did something bad to the girl he liked.
Feb 1, 2019 4:26 PM

Jan 2017
Kurosaki Mea (To Love-ru Darkness) she was just annoying at the beginning and later seeing her backstory made me love her.
Feb 1, 2019 5:42 PM

Jan 2017
Jotaro from JoJo. I didn't like his introduction at first, but further down the series, I began to like him.
Feb 1, 2019 5:49 PM

Dec 2008
Dunno-think I'd have to say Touma from Index and Railgun-he starts out pretty milquetoast but gets much more interesting as the episodes progress.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Feb 1, 2019 5:52 PM

Feb 2015
For me it's quite a few actually. To name some:

- Wang Qi/Ou Ki from Kingdom. At first i thought he's a creepy, suspicious, secretly bad man. Turns out he's actually a really brave, heroic, wise & kind general.

- Waver Velvet from Fate series (I don't like his younger self but El-Melloi II is awesome)

- Endeavor from BnHA
- Funny Valentine from SBR (not really an anime tho)
- Melo from Death Note
Feb 1, 2019 5:58 PM

Aug 2016
I found Mako from kill la kill to be annoying, but idk she just grew on me after a while.
Feb 1, 2019 6:59 PM

Aug 2018
Lelouch from Code Geass was pretty annoying at first but he eventually became one of my favorite MC
Feb 1, 2019 9:13 PM

May 2013
Perhaps krista from SNK, she grew from a kind but timid weakling to a kind and brave best girl.

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime? ( 1 2 )

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 19

73 by Abomination_suah »»
8 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 8 hours ago

15 by juanlqr »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

27 by juanlqr »»
15 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

14 by iiKonata »»
16 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

91 by LeonhartAugust »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.